Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,875
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I would happily back a Labour or LD FM, though not a Green as they back independence.

I would also happily stand down all Scottish Conservative candidates for the constituency seats at Holyrood next year where the Scottish Conservatives were not in first or second place in 2021 and just stand Tory candidates for the list in those areas

Just so I'm clear - you would advocate Scottish Conservatives NOT standing in seats where they weren't first or second last time and not contesting any seat where they were second but the winner was Labour or Lib Dem and you would expect reciprocity.

Fair enough - Labour would be the Unionist Alliance candidate in twice as many SNP seats as the Conservative with the LDs in two or three others.

Some of the SNP seats are held with large majorities and 59 of the 63 SNP members won through the constituencies with just four coming off the Regional AMs. Indeed, Conservative, Labour and LD won 46 of 60 seats through the AM system.

In practice, taking 10-12 SNP seats would be enough to deprive the SNP-Green grouping of their majority with Lab, Con and LD having maybe 70-72 between them so a majority to form an administration but even if the Conservatives won more seats than Labour you would support a Labour FM if it were the price of Labour's support.
    It is an interesting idea but assumes a level of voter cooperation which may not be there when push comes to shove.
    Not to mention the effect on Labour oif actuallyt governing in coalition with the Tories. They're already doing it informally in local gmt and formally in Aberdeen (technically including Independents [= shy Tories in this context] and Labour party councillors technically still suspended).

And it coiuld lead to a split within the Labour Party as well, with a part of iut allying with the SNP, Greens and true Independent MSPs.
    Fine, the support of Unionist Tories would far outweigh any nationalists who went SNP at Holyrood, it is Scottish Tories who ensure Ian Murray is still an MP.

You really don't read my posts. I didn;t say that Labour MSPs would join the SNP - simply that they might ally with the pro-independence parties. It's an important distinction.
    Fine then they can be expelled from Labour and deselected given Starmer and Leonard have made clear Labour is a Unionist party
    By when it would be too late.

The other problem for you is that a very significant proportion of Labour voters in Sxcotland are pro-independence as well as being anti-Tory.
    A very, very significant proportion of Labour voters in Scotland, even if they would vote No, are more anti-Tory than they are anti-independence.
    Indeed, and a Holyrood election is not a referendum, especially as the question is being explicitly framed by the SNP as one of authority to have a separate referendum.
    Its a hard thing to campaign against as Hague found with his 'save the pound' election - when Blair was saying there'd be a referendum.
    Boris has said there will be no indyref2 while he is PM but obviously it is easier to prevent a Nationalist majority at Holyrood rather than have to go down the Madrid route which will be the last resort to ban indyref2
    No, no - you're confusing Nationalist with pro-independence. Not the same thing at all, especially when you are also confusing Nationalist with the SNP.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

I would happily back a Labour or LD FM, though not a Green as they back independence.

I would also happily stand down all Scottish Conservative candidates for the constituency seats at Holyrood next year where the Scottish Conservatives were not in first or second place in 2021 and just stand Tory candidates for the list in those areas

Just so I'm clear - you would advocate Scottish Conservatives NOT standing in seats where they weren't first or second last time and not contesting any seat where they were second but the winner was Labour or Lib Dem and you would expect reciprocity.

Fair enough - Labour would be the Unionist Alliance candidate in twice as many SNP seats as the Conservative with the LDs in two or three others.

Some of the SNP seats are held with large majorities and 59 of the 63 SNP members won through the constituencies with just four coming off the Regional AMs. Indeed, Conservative, Labour and LD won 46 of 60 seats through the AM system.

In practice, taking 10-12 SNP seats would be enough to deprive the SNP-Green grouping of their majority with Lab, Con and LD having maybe 70-72 between them so a majority to form an administration but even if the Conservatives won more seats than Labour you would support a Labour FM if it were the price of Labour's support.
    It is an interesting idea but assumes a level of voter cooperation which may not be there when push comes to shove.
    Not to mention the effect on Labour oif actuallyt governing in coalition with the Tories. They're already doing it informally in local gmt and formally in Aberdeen (technically including Independents [= shy Tories in this context] and Labour party councillors technically still suspended).

And it coiuld lead to a split within the Labour Party as well, with a part of iut allying with the SNP, Greens and true Independent MSPs.
    Fine, the support of Unionist Tories would far outweigh any nationalists who went SNP at Holyrood, it is Scottish Tories who ensure Ian Murray is still an MP.

You really don't read my posts. I didn;t say that Labour MSPs would join the SNP - simply that they might ally with the pro-independence parties. It's an important distinction.
    Fine then they can be expelled from Labour and deselected given Starmer and Leonard have made clear Labour is a Unionist party

The other problem for you is that a very significant proportion of Labour voters in Sxcotland are pro-independence as well as being anti-Tory.
    A very, very significant proportion of Labour voters in Scotland, even if they would vote No, are more anti-Tory than they are anti-independence.
    So what, if there is no Tory candidate they can still vote Labour not Tory
    Not if Labour are in a pact with the Tories.

Lets say hypothetically this imaginary pact comes about and there's a potential Tory+Lab+LD rainbow coalition majority - are you suggesting Labour would make Ruth Davidson (or whoever) First Minister?

I don't think so. This is prima facie nonsense.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807
    Chatting to a group of elderly Aunts and Uncles yesterday, who were very stressed about the risks of going out and being exposed to the virus (in East Yorkshire). I asked them how many people had died from C19 in English hospitals on August 16th... their guesses ranged from 500 to 4,000. When I told them that the actual answer was 2 they were staggered and asked why things weren’t back to normal. Based on this admittedly small sample, perhaps the press conference should return, if only weekly on a Friday.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Lets say hypothetically this imaginary pact comes about and there's a potential Tory+Lab+LD rainbow coalition majority - are you suggesting Labour would make Ruth Davidson (or whoever) First Minister?

The other question is how they keep thje pact secret, and how Labour voters would react.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Ugh. How can anyone justify suporting this corpulent shitsack? Not letting this twat get down to Westminster and get his mug on the TV is the best argument yet I've seen for shutting the border.
    Typical of the SNP and it’s supporters. Really unpleasant politics.

Of course the English hating Scottish nationalists were at the border recently shouting ‘fuck,off back to England’ at the cars driving past.
    Funny, thought you were all against personal abuse. One way traffic evidently.
    He is an absolute jackass, fake as a three bob bit as well.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Will never happen , stonewall SNP majority next year and Tories know it well, even with their dirty tricks it will not go down well. Would only drive even more Labour voters to indy camp.
    Great to see Nats so rattled, of course if Scottish Cons stand down in SNP held seats where the SNP vote is under 50% that gives a huge boost to Scottish Labour or LD chances of taking the seat
    Ha Ha Ha , PMSL, one thing we never need to get rattled about is Scottish Tories.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,515
    Rexel56 said:

Chatting to a group of elderly Aunts and Uncles yesterday, who were very stressed about the risks of going out and being exposed to the virus (in East Yorkshire). I asked them how many people had died from C19 in English hospitals on August 16th... their guesses ranged from 500 to 4,000. When I told them that the actual answer was 2 they were staggered and asked why things weren’t back to normal. Based on this admittedly small sample, perhaps the press conference should return, if only weekly on a Friday.

This one will set their hair on fire -

Less people dying per week that 5 year average.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,321
    stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Gove isn't, that is why he has been secretly meeting other Unionist parties.

From what I understand there is a serious prospect the Scottish Conservatives will not stand at Holyrood in 2021 in constituency seats which they do not already hold or were not in second place in in 2016 and obviously they would hope Labour and the LDs would reciprocate in Tory held Holyrood constituency seats but still obviously nothing confirmed yet

As a bit of fun on a Saturday afternoon, imagine this:

It's 2013 and Nick Clegg meets David Cameron and says:

"Prime Minister, I think the Coalition is doing a great job and I'd like it to continue into a second Parliament but that can only happen if a Lib Dem presence is guaranteed and I am aware your Party is steeping up its campaigning in seats held by my Party.

I offer you this - a continuation of the Coalition in the next Parliament but all Conservative campaigning has to end in seats currently held by the Liberal Democrats. We will do the same in Conservative seats and will not stand candidates against sitting Conservative MPs. In return, I would expect no Conservative candidate in seats held by my party.

As for seats held by Labour, if your party is the challenger, we will stand aside but if we are in second place based on the 2010 results, I would expect the Conservatives to stand aside.

If the Coalition is returned with a majority, we would support a referendum on the renegotiated basis of Britain's membership of the European Union. The Liberal Democrats would support continued membership and would campaign on that basis but the Conservative Party's position is for you to decide."

Do you think Cameron would or should have accepted such a proposal?
    What Cameron may have wanted, and what Cameron could actually deliver, were some distance apart, as subsequent events have amply proven.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It does not matter, Labour can vote for a Labour FM but that is irrelevant all that matters is Sturgeon loses her majority next year a la May 2017 and there is a Unionist majority even if she stays FM, then cue the SNP civil war as Salmond prepares to seize the crown from a wounded Sturgeon in revenge for her and her allies treatment of him
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

It does not matter, Labour can vote for a Labour FM but that is irrelevant all that matters is Sturgeon loses her majority next year a la May 2017 and there is a Unionist majority even if she stays FM, then cue the SNP civil war as Salmond prepares to seize the crown from a wounded Sturgeon in revenge for her and her allies treatment of him
    This is no more likely to happen than that you are somehow elected to Epping Parish Council.
  • Options
    Judging by recent data, Austria is going to become another Portugal, where the UK government has needlessly wrecked many British holidaymakers’ vacations only to reverse its decision a few weeks later.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,244
    rcs1000 said:

Some excellent news regarding the possible efficacy of vaccines: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/hint-of-covid-19-immunity-3-sailors-with-antibodies-spared-in-outbreak-at-sea/

The full results of the 323 person Pfizer 2 trial are also out, and their vaccine appears to generate similar immune responses to other vaccines, with fewer side effects. The key to this vaccine, the BioNTech one, is that it is the easiest and cheapestocheapest all the candidates to manufacture. If their Phase 3, completing in October, is positive, then people could start getting vaccinated in large numbers in November/December.

The shadow of covid is going to lift from Western economies and societies far sooner than almost anyone is expecting. As I’ve said before, it’s going to be a bloody brilliant decade.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Not really an argument for staying a member of the European Union though....???
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

But how does that deal with the invasion of armies of flying pigs in your scenario?

If you're relying upon desperation to tactical voting then you've already lost the election - as Remainers found out last time. You win by convincing people to vote for you, or not to vote for your opposition, not by clever tricks.
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

Rexel56 said:

My Uncles would be delighted to have sufficient hair to ignite...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232
    edited August 2020
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Depending on your opponents to fall out is a pish strategy. The idea that Galloway will be some kind of unifying, non-divisive figure is also hilarious.

It's quite possible that come next May there will only be the SNP and Greens to vote for in support of a second referendum while the Yoons will be a multi-party mess of confused messaging.
  • Options

Rexel56 said:

Does that slight trend back to the average coincide with the heatwave?
  • Options
    moonshine said:

Rexel56 said:

Does that slight trend back to the average coincide with the heatwave?
    It's actually more to do with how the 5 year average bounces around, IIRC.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Some excellent news regarding the possible efficacy of vaccines: https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/08/hint-of-covid-19-immunity-3-sailors-with-antibodies-spared-in-outbreak-at-sea/

The full results of the 323 person Pfizer 2 trial are also out, and their vaccine appears to generate similar immune responses to other vaccines, with fewer side effects. The key to this vaccine, the BioNTech one, is that it is the easiest and cheapestocheapest all the candidates to manufacture. If their Phase 3, completing in October, is positive, then people could start getting vaccinated in large numbers in November/December.

The shadow of covid is going to lift from Western economies and societies far sooner than almost anyone is expecting. As I’ve said before, it’s going to be a bloody brilliant decade.
    Hypersonic travel (reaction engines), first COVID Vaccine (Oxford) and Nuclear Fusion (Tokomak UK) would be a decent hattrick.

Of course, in the honourable British tradition, after inventing it ourselves we would have to stand by and watch the Germans and Japanese manufacture better quality alternatives.
  • Options
    Soft dismissal from Buttler but an excellent innings of 152.

Now that Buttler's out I think it is time now to send Broad in with instructions to swing the bat looking to declare soon.
  • Options

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Hypersonic travel (reaction engines), first COVID Vaccine (Oxford) and Nuclear Fusion (Tokomak UK) would be a decent hattrick.

Of course, in the honourable British tradition, after inventing it ourselves we would have to stand by and watch the Germans and Japanese manufacture better quality alternatives.
    The only one of those that would be economically very valuable to produce and export is Nuclear Fusion. Profitable sustainable fusion would be a remarkable invention, but I don't think we will ever see it.

COVID vaccine the most economically productive thing to do is of course to just give it away and try to get this virus gone from the globe ASAP.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,452
    edited August 2020
    This is doing the rounds. I cant vouch for its veracity though!

“£252m of public money given to Ayanda Capital, registered in Mauritius for tax dodging, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£186m of public money given to Uniserve Ltd of Essex, the UK’s largest privately owned logistics and global trade management company, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£116m of public money given to P14 Medical Ltd of Liverpool, which had liabilities exceeding assets by £485,000 in December 2019 with just £145 in the bank, for PPE that never appeared.

£108m of public money given to PestFix, with 16 employees and net assets of £19,000, for PPE that never appeared.

£14.2m and a subsequent £93.2m of public money given to Clandeboye Agencies Ltd, a confectionery wholesaler in Co Antrim, for PPE that never appeared.

£40m of public money given to Medicine Box Ltd of Sutton-in-Ashfield, despite having assets of just £6,000 in March, for PPE that never appeared.

£32m and a subsequent £16m of public money given to Initia Ventures Ltd, filed for dormancy in January this year, for PPE that never appeared.

£28m of public money given to Monarch Acoustics Ltd of Nottingham, makers of shop and office furniture, for PPE that never appeared.

£25m of public money given to Luxe Lifestyle Ltd, to supply garments for biological or chemical protection to the NHS. According to Companies House, the business was incorporated by fashion designer Karen Brost in November 2018. It appears to have no employees, no assets and no turnover.

£18.4m of public money given to Aventis Solutions Ltd of Wilmslow, with just £322 in assets, for PPE that never appeared.

£10m of public money given to Medco Solutions Ltd, incorporated on 26 March (three days after lockdown) with a share capital of just £2, for PPE that never appeared.

£1.1m of public money given to Bristol shoemaker Toffeln Ltd, had seemingly never supplied any PPE whatsoever in the past, for PPE that never appeared.

£825,000 of public money given to MGP Advisory, described as a venture and development capital business that was in danger of being struck off the companies register for failing to file accounts, for no one knows what for.”

this seems to be the primary
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/eu.remain/posts/2614188858910269
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321

This is doing the rounds. I cant vouch for its veracity though!

“£252m of public money given to Ayanda Capital, registered in Mauritius for tax dodging, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£186m of public money given to Uniserve Ltd of Essex, the UK’s largest privately owned logistics and global trade management company, to supply PPE that never appeared.

£116m of public money given to P14 Medical Ltd of Liverpool, which had liabilities exceeding assets by £485,000 in December 2019 with just £145 in the bank, for PPE that never appeared.

£108m of public money given to PestFix, with 16 employees and net assets of £19,000, for PPE that never appeared.

£14.2m and a subsequent £93.2m of public money given to Clandeboye Agencies Ltd, a confectionery wholesaler in Co Antrim, for PPE that never appeared.

£40m of public money given to Medicine Box Ltd of Sutton-in-Ashfield, despite having assets of just £6,000 in March, for PPE that never appeared.

£32m and a subsequent £16m of public money given to Initia Ventures Ltd, filed for dormancy in January this year, for PPE that never appeared.

£28m of public money given to Monarch Acoustics Ltd of Nottingham, makers of shop and office furniture, for PPE that never appeared.

£25m of public money given to Luxe Lifestyle Ltd, to supply garments for biological or chemical protection to the NHS. According to Companies House, the business was incorporated by fashion designer Karen Brost in November 2018. It appears to have no employees, no assets and no turnover.

£18.4m of public money given to Aventis Solutions Ltd of Wilmslow, with just £322 in assets, for PPE that never appeared.

£10m of public money given to Medco Solutions Ltd, incorporated on 26 March (three days after lockdown) with a share capital of just £2, for PPE that never appeared.

£1.1m of public money given to Bristol shoemaker Toffeln Ltd, had seemingly never supplied any PPE whatsoever in the past, for PPE that never appeared.

£825,000 of public money given to MGP Advisory, described as a venture and development capital business that was in danger of being struck off the companies register for failing to file accounts, for no one knows what for.”

If Chris Grayling were procuring PPE...
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

And don't forget WE made the first tools in Europe:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53743766

When - oh when? - will these foreigners learn?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

But how does that deal with the invasion of armies of flying pigs in your scenario?

If you're relying upon desperation to tactical voting then you've already lost the election - as Remainers found out last time. You win by convincing people to vote for you, or not to vote for your opposition, not by clever tricks.
    Not at Holyrood.

There if you are Unionists you win by reducing the SNP majority at the constituency level to a low enough level you can get a Unionist majority on the top up list where there will be multiple Unionist parties still standing.

The SNP will be the only Nationalist party at the constituency level, so it needs the Unionist Alliance to beat it
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Chris said:

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

And don't forget WE made the first tools in Europe:
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53743766

When - oh when? - will these foreigners learn?
    We also of course produce Europe’s largest and most impressive tools.

They don’t seem eager to take the cabinet off us though, sadly.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,135

Rexel56 said:

A free copy of "Statistics for Dummies" for that man!
  • Options

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Not to sound all Matt Ridley. But this decade we’re going to see boots on the moon and a decent chance of even Mars. The further erosion of absolute poverty and ubiquity of the internet in the developing world. Fossil fuels will start to fade away in significance. We’re going to see amazing things made possible through augmented reality and robotics. CRISPR is going to consign a host of genetic diseases to history. The Home Nations are going to become more at ease with themselves and each other as the decade progresses (though it might be a rocky ride).

Slightly longer shots but in my book still better than evens, England will win an international football tournament and non complex alien life (or fossil evidence thereof) will be confirmed in our solar system.
  • Options
    Chris said:

Rexel56 said:

A free copy of "Statistics for Dummies" for that man!
    And a trial subscription to Grammarly
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not at Holyrood.

There if you are Unionists you win by reducing the SNP majority at the constituency level to a low enough level you can get a Unionist majority on the top up list where there will be multiple Unionist parties still standing.

The SNP will be the only Nationalist party at the constituency level, so it needs the Unionist Alliance to beat it
    I doubt Labour or the Liberals will agree to any formal alliance with the Conservatives. What makes you think they will?
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    edited August 2020
    England hasn't declared yet, but this thread has
  • Options

moonshine said:

rcs1000 said:

Reaction Engines have missed the boat - expect for the possibility of their engine being used in hypersonic military aircraft.

Why spend 10 Billion to get to space, when you can do it with water tower welders?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    Rexel56 said:

The curious thing is the number of deaths at homes, that remains rather high. 500 per week above 5 year average.

https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/1297066460100124672?s=09
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not at Holyrood.

I doubt Labour or the Liberals will agree to any formal alliance with the Conservatives. What makes you think they will?
    The Tories will stand down in all constituencies they are not first or second at Holyrood, Labour or the LDs do not need to agree anything
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yep, this feels like a "clever idea" in London and a terrible idea on the ground.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Yep, this feels like a "clever idea" in London and a terrible idea on the ground.
    You really are clueless.

If all Unionist candidates stand against each other in every SNP seat with the SNP the only Nationalist party then there will inevitably be another Nationalist majority.

Then Boris will have no choice but to go full Rajoy and Madrid in Catalonia to block the SNP
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Deleted - just too disgusted by HYUFD's excitement about Catalonia yet again.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,501
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really are clueless.

If all Unionist candidates stand against each other in every SNP seat with the SNP the only Nationalist party then there will inevitably be another Nationalist majority.

Then Boris will have no choice but to go full Rajoy and Madrid in Catalonia to block the SNP
    It's a bad idea Hyu. The best thing people on the unionist side can do electorally is to give people a choice - to make the argument about things other than nationalist blob vs. unionist blob. I would agree with not allocating campaigning resources to unwinnable seats where there's a strong unionist candidate. But that's it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really are clueless.

It's a bad idea Hyu. The best thing people on the unionist side can do electorally is to give people a choice - to make the argument about things other than nationalist blob vs. unionist blob. I would agree with not allocating campaigning resources to unwinnable seats where there's a strong unionist candidate. But that's it.
    SLAB seem to have done that already in 2019 - the LDs too perhaps. So not new.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    For the record, pretty much all FTAs contain some LPF provisions. (The USMCA - which should be a case study in how not to do these things - has provisions on a per industry basis, including how much people need to be paid per hour, restrictions on FTAs with other countries, and how LBGT workers must be treated. I doubt any agreed UK-EU agreement will be anywhere near as onerous.)

There are also going to be LPF provisions that we want, such as regarding taxation (hello Ireland) and state subsidies to export industries. I think it's a little naieve to think this is entirely one way.

Finally, I think people are too worried about scope, and not enough about enforcement mechanisms.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really are clueless.

Which is largely what I am saying, however if the Unionist vote is not united at the constituency level there will be another SNP majority and all the arguments of Cicero in their brilliance will not make the slightest difference
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

You really are clueless.
    That loud bang in the West Midlands was my irony meter exploding.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,689
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Carnyx said:

felix said:

stodge said:

HYUFD said:

Not at Holyrood.

The Tories will stand down in all constituencies they are not first or second at Holyrood, Labour or the LDs do not need to agree anything
    That soundslie a good idea, but please keep Gove and Cummings out of it
This discussion has been closed.