Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lamenting Dido*

SystemSystem Posts: 11,689
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Lamenting Dido*

Today I am announcing that we are forming the National Institute for Health Protection.This will have a single & relentless mission: protecting people from external threats to this country’s health, bringing the UK’s world-class science and scale into one coherent organisation. pic.twitter.com/v27UhhCT8Y

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    First choice as Dido appears to be for zero discernible reason
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    It was mentioned in the last thread she was a temporary head while a permanent one was being found. Wouldn't that explain why there was not an open call?

It was also suggested on the last thread that no one would touch this appointment with a ten foot barge pole.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015
    quick 3rd, hundreds above my usual placing
  • Options
    I don’t get this opprobrium for Dido.

Life For Rent is one of the greatest albums of the millennium and if you don’t like White Flag then you have no taste.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Britain Elects
    @britainelects
    ·
    2h
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 42% (-1)
    LAB: 37% (-)
    LDEM: 7% (+1)

via @SavantaComRes
    , 14 - 16 Aug
    Chgs. w/ 19 Jul

Apologies if already posted.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,668
    As I pointed out a couple of times in the previous thread, McKinsey's role appears to extend well beyond what Cyclefree ably sets out in the excellent header.

They appear to have been the source of the entire scheme.

https://www.consultancy.uk/news/25175/mckinsey-to-evaluate-british-nhs-test-and-trace-programme
    ...As the Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) looks to improve the service, the Health Service Journal has revealed that McKinsey & Company has been tasked with reviewing the governance of the NHS Test and Trace programme. The consultancy will now consider which level of state management would facilitate the best provision of its future services – be that remaining under the direct control of the DHSC, gain greater operational independence, or be merged with another entity of the DHSC, such as Public Health England... (27th July)
  • Options
    eek said:

First choice as Dido appears to be for zero discernible reason

The new term is Didolatry.
  • Options
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Cronyism appears to be the normal Modis Operandi for the current shower in charge.

Presumably this is what "... taking back control ..." really means. Being completely unaccountable for 5 years and therefore using that period to trouser as much cash as possible before you get tossed out on your ear.

And tossing this lot out will be a big ask given the state of Labour, so maybe 10 years of troughing?

That should be enough to set any trougher up for life and after that is done, why should they gave a f***?
  • Options

Just been discharged from hospital :)

Fantastic! Hope you're well mate.
  • Options

Hurrah.
  • Options
    The Dido appointment is utterly shameless and brazen but as they know that they can literally slaughter 20k old people in their care homes and get away with that why won't they get away with this.

In the middle of a Pandemic is absolutely the right time to abolish the body responsible for Public Health and stick one of your own up to create a successor which will stop putting out facts demonstrating how and why ministers are culpable. Anyone who doesn't think so is obviously a Corbynite.
  • Options

Anyone else shocked that Gavin Williamson might turn out to be liar?

To be fair, if you have no clue of what you've done, or why you did it, it's quite hard to give a coherent account of your actions.
    Whether that counts as lying is an interesting question.
  • Options
    Considering Dido is running NHS Test & Trace she seems the natural person to choose as temporary leader of this new organisation.

FPT but On Topic: Probably a controversial opinion but . . . Given that our neighbouring nations that had an original COVID surge all now seem to be having a second wave while we aren't (yet) then it seems like NHS Test & Trace are doing a good job.

Anyone agree?
  • Options
    Remember folks - even if Williamson has just been caught out lying he has only been sacked for lying that one time. His boss got sacked for lying twice, so would be hard for him to say "I am sacking GW because he is a liar". Hence GW knowing he can literally say anything and get away with it.

As we're all about to witness as the schools go back. Remember - its perfectly safe, the scientists said so, and he will fine you if you dissent.
  • Options

Considering Dido is running NHS Test & Trace she seems the natural person to choose as temporary leader of this new organisation.

FPT but On Topic: Probably a controversial opinion but . . . Given that our neighbouring nations that had an original COVID surge all now seem to be having a second wave while we aren't (yet) then it seems like NHS Test & Trace are doing a good job.

Anyone agree?

I remember this arrogance when Italy was in trouble and we insisted it would never happen here
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    A good liar, yes.
    Not in the least bit surprised that he's shit at it though.
  • Options

Anyone agree?

I remember this arrogance when Italy was in trouble and we insisted it would never happen here
    If we avoid a second wave then would you agree Test & Trace have done a good job?
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458
    edited August 2020
    NHS England hospital numbers -

Headline - 15
    7 Days - 14
    Yesterday - 0

• Options

Remember folks - even if Williamson has just been caught out lying he has only been sacked for lying that one time. His boss got sacked for lying twice, so would be hard for him to say "I am sacking GW because he is a liar". Hence GW knowing he can literally say anything and get away with it.

As we're all about to witness as the schools go back. Remember - its perfectly safe, the scientists said so, and he will fine you if you dissent.

As long as Williamson puckers up to Boris he will be safe in his job. Loyalty to The Glorious Leader of our Banana Republic is paramount.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

Anyone agree?

I doubt test and trace will have anything to do with it. I have seen nothing to indicate that its not still the shambolic mess it was right from the start.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980
    It's not impossible to recommend something to someone who makes the decision.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,544
    An excellent header. I was looking for a passing mention of the name Robert Jenrick in the text as one of many other examples of egregious cronyism verging on the corrupt.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,803

Anyone agree?

Ho Chi Minh on the French Revolution (whether of 1789 or 1968) refers.
  • Options

Anyone agree?

No.

Prove to me that T & T had anything to do with it. There could be any number of factors such as 25% of people being too afraid to leave their houses, the fact that schools have been closed for months and fewer people in offices.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Aren't recommendations and decisions seperate things ?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:
    As someone who suffers from depression, I can completely relate to this...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Aren't recommendations and decisions seperate things ?
    When it is a Minister of the Crown speaking to a subordinate?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    Scott_xP said:
    The tip of an iceberg.

Opinion is turning against our oh so wonderful NHS, and fast.
  • Options

Anyone agree?

If we avoid a second wave then would you agree Test & Trace have done a good job?
    Not really much evidence we've avoided a second wave yet Philip...
  • Options
    How can Test and Trace be considered to be doing a good job? We employed thousands of people to call people. Then didn't make establishments take any data and let people fly into the UK without taking any data. Hence most of them making only a handful of calls.

If we're avoiding a second major spike right now its luck not T&T.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    Carnyx said:

Anyone agree?

Yup, too soon to say.
    btw Zhou Enlai

• Options

How can Test and Trace be considered to be doing a good job? We employed thousands of people to call people. Then didn't make establishments take any data and let people fly into the UK without taking any data. Hence most of them making only a handful of calls.

If we're avoiding a second major spike right now its luck not T&T.

It's just Philip coming out to bat for the Tories, he's made a few negative comments and he doesn't want to upset his paymasters
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,311

Anyone agree?

That's certainly plausible though I can think of other possible explanations.

1. The UK might generally still have tighter restrictions so that the vector for increased cases in other countries is not present here. For example, the much-derided quarantine on travellers might be having a beneficial effect. Or it could be that school terms started earlier elsewhere. Or there was something about a much greater proportion of UK office workers still working from home than on the Continent.

2. I think it's true that on the continent we've mostly seen an increase in cases, which hasn't yet resulted in extra deaths. If Test and Trace in the UK is performing really badly then it could be missing an increase in the number of cases, and we'll only know about it when we see the deaths later.

3. We are seeing an increase in cases, but just as with the situation in February and March we're a little bit behind the Continent and will catch up soon.

These all seem at least as plausible as Test and Trace working, particularly given some of the underwhelming statistics released on contact tracing, but I can't say confidently either way.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Fck me, they're coming hard and fast now..

(Just to save HYUFD the trouble, sleazy Yes on the slide by 1% in poll by different company)

https://twitter.com/SavantaComRes/status/1296062799089750017?s=20
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,015

great news, you will be very happy no doubt
  • Options

Whey-hey! Good news :+1::+1::+1::+1:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

Life For Rent is one of the greatest albums of the millennium and if you don’t like White Flag then you have no taste.

No taste? Best get a test for Covid.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

I doubt test and trace will have anything to do with it. I have seen nothing to indicate that its not still the shambolic mess it was right from the start.
    The local, door to door, approach appears to be working.
    The national, phone call based, system does not.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

Carnyx said:

Anyone agree?

Yup, too soon to say.
    btw Zhou Enlai

whoops, I was sure it was Ho! Thanks.
  • Options

(Just to save HYUFD the trouble, sleazy Yes on the slide by 1% in poll by different company)

That poll has Holyrood VI as well.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,171
    TT is Dido's speciality, whether she talks the talk or kicks the traces.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Anyone agree?

No.
    As the latest Imperial report points out:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8640223/Quick-effective-testing-tracing-reduce-coronavirus-R-number-26.html

It's not completely useless, but it is still poor.
    (And has still not met the target Boris set. If that means anything.)
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    The tweet below that has 43% for the SNP on the list - but much of that change goes to the Greens which are now 8% rather than being lost in the 'others'.

Implication, a decent Green (and pro-indy) contingent.
  • Options

The Ruth Davidson unionists united party should do the trick.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,845

Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

Local door to door though isn't throughout the uk, only article I found said 94 local authorities has expressed interest in the scheme.....I believe we have a lot more than 94 local authorities
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Nigelb said:

Anyone agree?

No.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8640223/Quick-effective-testing-tracing-reduce-coronavirus-R-number-26.html

Is this a case of the 40% not wanting to be found? In which case, would finding them and asking them nicely to isolate actually make much difference?
  • Options
    I am sure CCHQ sorry HYUFD will find a way to explain these away!
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    RobD said:

It was mentioned in the last thread she was a temporary head while a permanent one was being found. Wouldn't that explain why there was not an open call?

It was also suggested on the last thread that no one would touch this appointment with a ten foot barge pole.

I think it sort of does. She is the head of the test and trace operation now, so in a way she's the obvious choice.
  • Options
    I think this should appeal to certain Republicans.

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1295916143471808513?s=20

Maybe distance lends enchantment and ignorance, but the Dem's media game seems much superior to that of the Reps.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,206

Sorry - you are way too late to this party - jokes been made more times than I heard that Eminem track with Dido on it...
  • Options

The Nats blew leads in 2013/14 and lots of BJ action in Scotland will save the Union.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,898
    The Robert Koch-Intitut is a research centre founded at the end of the 1800s, it was given the responsibility of heatlh admin for West Berlin after the war and for Federal Germany at the time the Federal Government moved to Berlin after reunification. It still collaborates in research and is respected by Germans for its independent expertise.

I'm writing this because it is clear you do not get a RKI by just chosing a politician off the shelf and overnight handing them the responsibility of the health of a country's citizens.

"The government has suggested that it is modelled on Germany’s Robert Koch Institute" claiming this is a complete joke and shows that the cabinet have absolutely no idea how how you go about setting up an administration which requires specialist scientific knowledge.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

SNP only on 51%
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited August 2020

The Nats blew leads in 2013/14 and lots of BJ action in Scotland will save the Union.
    You're nuts
  • Options

lots of BJ action in Scotland will save the Union.

You're certainly expecting Unionists to go the extra mile..
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

He'll tell us that pro-independence is under 50% when you include "Don't Knows".

Why, I don't know.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,714
    If Scotland becomes independent, would the SNP disband?
  • Options

He'll tell us that pro-independence is under 50% when you include "Don't Knows".

Why, I don't know.
    Funny he never does that with polls that show the Tories ahead isn't it?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

Maybe distance lends enchantment and ignorance, but the Dem's media game seems much superior to that of the Reps.

'But the best thing about old John by far, was, he was beatable. He played the game on our turf and got hammered. And after pretending to respect him, we laughed like hell about it in private.'
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    I am slightly underwhelmed by this virgin aunt routine to everything that the government does. Governments have appointed fellow travellers and like minded folk to run things forever but it became absolutely routine under Blair and indeed under the SNP.

Suggesting that this woman (who I freely confess not to have even heard of a couple of days ago) worked as a travel agent or in a supermarket when she was on the Board of Thomas Cook and Tesco's seems a tad unfair. She is an experienced manager. Whether she is a successful one is harder to judge but she is not obviously unqualified for the role.

I also don't agree that not having a scientist in charge (like Germany) is necessarily a bad thing. Part of the problem with PHE is that it has been too dominated by scientists who seem to see risk as something that really should not be taken, no matter what the consequences. It seems to be a part of the problem.

As to the perils of reorganising does anyone seriously think that the performance of PHE has reached the giddy heights of adequate in this crisis? Too slow, way too bureaucratic, just utterly useless at producing statistics and excessively cautious may be some of the criticisms that have been thrown their way. Some of this may be unfair in respect of an organisation starved of funds in recent times but it is not a good basis for going forward.

She may turn out to be a disaster and things may not improve but remember that PHE was created as a part of the Lansley reforms, a Minister who could give Chris Grayling a run for his money.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

Don't tar all the efforts with the same brush. The local teams are proving very efficient and are undoubtedly helping to keep on top off things. At the moment its really hard to say why we are not seeing a large scale increase in cases, but it may be as we have not opened up nightclubs and larger indoor gatherings yet. Weddings still limited to 30 etc
  • Options
    Alistair said:

SNP only on 51%
    #NicolaOut
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    As someone who suffers from depression, I can completely relate to this...
    Although the fact of a 1 in 100 year pandemic is probably enough to cause depression for some. Its not ALL the fault of Boris. I seriously doubt this is his desired first year in office as PM.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,040
    DavidL said:

She is an experienced manager. Whether she is a successful one is harder to judge

Except it's not really.

It's public record, and none of it is good.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,501
    edited August 2020

lots of BJ action in Scotland will save the Union.

You're certainly expecting Unionists to go the extra mile..
    By whatever means necessary.

I deeply care about the Union and want it to continue for at least another three hundred years.
  • Options

@HYUFD will surely bring victory.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Anyone agree?

No.

Is this a case of the 40% not wanting to be found? In which case, would finding them and asking them nicely to isolate actually make much difference?
    Perhaps.
    But that is not the only failing.
    More significantly, the time taken for both test results, and then the time from those results to tracing contacts, is just too long for effective disease control.

Those metrics can only improved by decentralisation/localisation of test/track/trace.
  • Options

Most of the Republicans with whom this would resonate have long since withdrawn their support for the Party.
  • Options
    Quite liked the Aeneas joke though.
  • Options

'But the best thing about old John by far, was, he was beatable. He played the game on our turf and got hammered. And after pretending to respect him, we laughed like hell about it in private.'
    Quotation marks suggest an actual quote.

Here's an actual quote.

'He’s not a war hero. He’s a war hero because he was captured? I like people who weren’t captured.'
  • Options
    When I was with Talk Talk many years ago it sucked so much I nearly orgasmed.

That's how bad it was.

If Talk Talk was a pizza topping it would be olives or pineapple.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Immediately after the ANC does.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I am slightly underwhelmed by this virgin aunt routine to everything that the government does. Governments have appointed fellow travellers and like minded folk to run things forever but it became absolutely routine under Blair and indeed under the SNP.

Suggesting that this woman (who I freely confess not to have even heard of a couple of days ago) worked as a travel agent or in a supermarket when she was on the Board of Thomas Cook and Tesco's seems a tad unfair. She is an experienced manager. Whether she is a successful one is harder to judge but she is not obviously unqualified for the role.

I also don't agree that not having a scientist in charge (like Germany) is necessarily a bad thing. Part of the problem with PHE is that it has been too dominated by scientists who seem to see risk as something that really should not be taken, no matter what the consequences. It seems to be a part of the problem.

As to the perils of reorganising does anyone seriously think that the performance of PHE has reached the giddy heights of adequate in this crisis? Too slow, way too bureaucratic, just utterly useless at producing statistics and excessively cautious may be some of the criticisms that have been thrown their way. Some of this may be unfair in respect of an organisation starved of funds in recent times but it is not a good basis for going forward.

She may turn out to be a disaster and things may not improve but remember that PHE was created as a part of the Lansley reforms, a Minister who could give Chris Grayling a run for his money.

No one pretends that PHE wasn't in need of reform.
    Just that that a massive reorganisation like this is quite likely not to see any improvements for months, and that its genesis looks to be half baked.
  • Options

Most of the Republicans with whom this would resonate have long since withdrawn their support for the Party.
    Aren't registered Reps in 20s percentage wise? Perhaps I should have said former Reps who are now Independents.
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Why, I don't know.
    The panelbase poll has yes at 51% including don't knows.
  • Options

That's how bad it was.

Not as bad as fish fingers then.
  • Options
    The Comres poll wasn't even comissioned by anyone. They just decided to do one for funs.
  • Options
    Excellent piece. I particularly liked....:

'McKinsey (the consultants invariably brought in by those CEOs and others too unimaginative to think for themselves, too scared to make their own decisions or just looking for someone else to blame).'

This was exactly my experience with them. They would come to you room, spend a lot of time finding out what you did and how you did it. They would type it up and report this to the CEO, leaving you wondering why the CEO didn't just ask you himself. The result of all this earnest research was the recommendation that the firm (which was profitable and successful) should carry on pretty much as before.

Naturally they were paid a huge sum for this timeless advice.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992
    Andy_JS said:

I suspect they would split over some argument or other....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,709

Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

Yes, so the Dido system is expensive and useless, the local system run on starvation budgets is effective.

Neither accounts for the lack of a hospital wave though as we are reporting around 1000 cases a day, but falling hospitalisation rates. Manifestly, plenty are still being infected.
  • Options

Anyone agree?

No.

Prove to me that T & T had anything to do with it. There could be any number of factors such as 25% of people being too afraid to leave their houses, the fact that schools have been closed for months and fewer people in offices.
    Its not possible to prove it, but its a thought backed by data and logic.

It seems that with our current level of restrictions R is right now about 1. If T&T is breaking transmission chains then R would logically be above 1 right now - in which case we'd be back in exponential growth territory.
  • Options

That's how bad it was.

TalkTalk on your CV anywhere is not a good sign.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

The Comres poll wasn't even comissioned by anyone. They just decided to do one for funs.

I suspect it is was done to start methodology testing for the upcoming referendum.

I remember the conversations I had with pollsters in 2011/12 about setting up their polls for the 2014 referendum.

One thing in particular vexed them, trying to come up with a wording that they could ask adults if they had children aged 13/14/15 and if they could ask them questions about how they would in the Indyref without the pollsters getting called nonces.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

Yes, so the Dido system is expensive and useless, the local system run on starvation budgets is effective.

Neither accounts for the lack of a hospital wave though as we are reporting around 1000 cases a day, but falling hospitalisation rates. Manifestly, plenty are still being infected.
    If we're seeing cases but not hospitalisations then that is more evidence that Test & Trace is working. We're finding the cases before they reach hospitals . . . via testing and tracing.
  • Options
    Thank God for that, I don't want York ruined by a plethora of politicians taking up residence there.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,458

Biden has a reputation for being friend with a wide range of people in politics.

Apparently when Bernie Sanders was first elected, Biden showed him how things worked etc, unlike some on the Hill who tried to make things difficult... they became good friends.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

We can't really tell if we are simply finding a larger percentage of the infected because we are actually going looking for them rather than waiting for them to turn up in hospitals but it seems plausible. The falling hospitalisation rate suggests infections are continuing to fall but again there may be other factors at play here (eg a significant number of the most vulnerable are now dead or being carefully sheltered).

We are blundering about in the fog and PHE have to take a lot of the responsibility for that.
  • Options

Alistair said:

I suspect it is was done to start methodology testing for the upcoming referendum.

I remember the conversations I had with pollsters in 2011/12 about setting up their polls for the 2014 referendum.

One thing in particular vexed them, trying to come up with a wording that they could ask adults if they had children aged 13/14/15 and if they could ask them questions about how they would in the Indyref without the pollsters getting called nonces.
    Why would they even ask that question?

The next election isn't due until 2024 but for next election polls generally the pollster doesn't ask if the adults have a child aged 14/15/16/17 and if they could ask them questions about how they would voted in the next General Election - do they?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Anyone agree?

If we're seeing cases but not hospitalisations then that is more evidence that Test & Trace is working. We're finding the cases before they reach hospitals . . . via testing and tracing.
    Or that we are dealing with a less virulent version of the virus. They do evolve rapidly.
This discussion has been closed.