Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,771
    Nigelb said:

For a moment I thought that might be to oversee the aftermath of the US elections...
    Let's keep them on standby, just in case.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

The argument for independence is largely an emotional one. The argument for the union must be primarily an emotional one. At the moment, it feels like unionists are telling a partner who is thinking about leaving that they'll never get a better partner and listing all the ways their life will be shit if they leave. That may be true, but it's not a winning argument.

For once I strongly agree with you.
    Unionists musn`t make the same mistake that Remain did in the EU Ref. That is, to only base their arguments on pragmatic factors.

I agree that the case for Scottish independence is largely emotional, as long as it is accepted that in this case the emotion runs both ways. I am emotionally attached to Britain, I`m British way more than I am English. Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English - all equal as far as I`m concerned. All British. One nation.

That`s why if there is another Scottish referendum everyone in Britain should have a say. We all have emotions and identity invested in this issue. It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.
    It's not one nation though, is it?
    What word do you use to describe the UK, then? Country? Nation state?
    A unitary state? Wiki describes the UK as consisting 'of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Ironically Unionists who are keen on the one nation thing seem to ignore the implications of the word union.
    Wikipedia is wrong because Wales isn't a country, it's a principality. Also, it's Wikipedia.
    The more problematic one is describing Northern Ireland as a country.

Ulster was a country. Ireland was/is a country. Northern Ireland is a construct.
    Good job you're not a geography teacher!
    Why?
    They're all human constructs. Your post implied that there was something intrinsically natural about Ulster. Now, it may be fair to say that the USA has more things going for it in terms of resilience compared with something like Yugoslavia, but they are both political constructs.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,618
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

The argument for independence is largely an emotional one. The argument for the union must be primarily an emotional one. At the moment, it feels like unionists are telling a partner who is thinking about leaving that they'll never get a better partner and listing all the ways their life will be shit if they leave. That may be true, but it's not a winning argument.

Unionists musn`t make the same mistake that Remain did in the EU Ref. That is, to only base their arguments on pragmatic factors.

I agree that the case for Scottish independence is largely emotional, as long as it is accepted that in this case the emotion runs both ways. I am emotionally attached to Britain, I`m British way more than I am English. Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English - all equal as far as I`m concerned. All British. One nation.

That`s why if there is another Scottish referendum everyone in Britain should have a say. We all have emotions and identity invested in this issue. It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.
    A unitary state? Wiki describes the UK as consisting 'of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Ironically Unionists who are keen on the one nation thing seem to ignore the implications of the word union.
    Wikipedia is wrong because Wales isn't a country, it's a principality. Also, it's Wikipedia.
    The more problematic one is describing Northern Ireland as a country.

Ulster was a country. Ireland was/is a country. Northern Ireland is a construct.
    Ulster was a country? Er, no it wasn't.
    Was in the middle ages...
    Nope. It was a realm of sorts, a province. Very hard to make the case that it was a country.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Wales is de-facto a country, and I can imagine most Welsh people would consider it a county. “Murr principality” types are irrelevant.
    For sure, but in a legal and technical sense it is a principality, which is what an encyclopedia is supposed to be for. If I wanted to know how Welsh people felt about it I'd go and ask them if I want to know what the legal status of Wales is I would expect something that purports to be an encyclopedia to know.
    The “legal” status of Wales is probably highly disputed. The consequence of the various Welsh Acts over the last 20 years, as well as others, probably change the status of “Wales” as it was when it was incorporated into the Kingdom of England.
    Giving up their legal system upon being subsumed by the Kingdom of England in 1542 was a loss of sovereignty that Scotland has never experienced as it kept its own laws. Scottish law is an interesting card the SNP has that any future Welsh independence movement simply doesn't.
  • The government exercises this perfectly. Williamson has taken responsibility for what's happened and made the u-turn himself and taken responsibility to sort out the mess that's resulted.

That's quite right. I don't like Williamson at the best of times but he's doing the right thing here.
    I blame Tony Blair. Taking responsibility for something used to mean resigning, not issuing a half-arsed apology and sacking an underling.
    Buggering off when you make a mistake and letting someone else take responsibility for cleaning up the mess you left behind isn't taking responsibility.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,674
    ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    Yes it was, but only just. And only just winning isn't good enough for the next time. It needs to be sent packing, so we can all move on, and spend our time in better ways than disliking each other.
    Quebec voted just 51% to stay in Canada in its second referendum in 1995 and has not had another since
    I don't know enough about Quebec to comment, but if society has healed and people have moved on on the basis of those numbers, it says a lot about the people there.
    Quebec has devomax now effectively which has helped
    The SNP have not even taken up all the powers they have been offered by Westminster. Apparently it takes 5 years to set up the systems to run welfare powers, but a new nation takes 18 months.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/1435913-ministers-delay-full-control-of-welfare-powers-until-2024?top
    More utter unionist tripe. It is the UK that needs to provide the access to their shit systems that is at fault. Lady Haw Haw once again, are you physically able of telling the truth.
    If they're shit, why do you want access to them?
    I was merely quoting the nay sayers and ne'er do wells on here who constantly tell us they are shit, Scotland is shit, Scotland is only country in world that could not have a currency , only country unable to be independent and on and on and on.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    Yes it was, but only just. And only just winning isn't good enough for the next time. It needs to be sent packing, so we can all move on, and spend our time in better ways than disliking each other.
    Quebec voted just 51% to stay in Canada in its second referendum in 1995 and has not had another since
    I don't know enough about Quebec to comment, but if society has healed and people have moved on on the basis of those numbers, it says a lot about the people there.
    The SNP have not even taken up all the powers they have been offered by Westminster. Apparently it takes 5 years to set up the systems to run welfare powers, but a new nation takes 18 months.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/1435913-ministers-delay-full-control-of-welfare-powers-until-2024?top
    More utter unionist tripe. It is the UK that needs to provide the access to their shit systems that is at fault. Lady Haw Haw once again, are you physically able of telling the truth.
    I was merely quoting the nay sayers and ne'er do wells on here who constantly tell us they are shit, Scotland is shit, Scotland is only country in world that could not have a currency , only country unable to be independent and on and on and on.
    Of course Scotland can have its own currency.

The issue is that last time the SNP said that Scotland wouldn't have its own currency and instead would be in a Sterling currency union which isn't a real thing.

There is no reason at all Scotland can't have its own currency, its just on the Scottish government to create it. Easily done, they just have to do it.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020

Thread on the currency options for iScotland:

https://twitter.com/johnstuartwilso/status/1295428897597566976?s=21

They seemed to have blacked out the second debate where Salmond absolutely gutted Darling on currency.

Salmond literally summarised the 3 options in the debate.

Is this like the whole "hiding the figures that are openly discussed at the daily press conference" thing?
  • malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

The issue is that last time the SNP said that Scotland wouldn't have its own currency and instead would be in a Sterling currency union which isn't a real thing.

There is no reason at all Scotland can't have its own currency, its just on the Scottish government to create it. Easily done, they just have to do it.
    Why can't the Scotting Pound Sterling be like those of the Isle of Man, Gibraltar etc etc. You say that Sterling isn't a currency union, yet the Bank of England does not regulate issue of Pounds Sterling outside the UK despite those being convertible 1:1 with the various English, Scottish and NI issues of Sterling.

I can buy lots of Sterling issued coins from non-UK mints not regulated by the BofE and they are still Pounds Sterling.
  • A new moth for me - the Bedstraw Hawkmoth. I migrant from Europe. I'm saying nothing...

We have had 5 of the hawk moths at our trap this year - Elephant, Death's Head, Privet, Poplar and Hummingbird. Fabulous beasties.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,751

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Why can't the Scotting Pound Sterling be like those of the Isle of Man, Gibraltar etc etc. You say that Sterling isn't a currency union, yet the Bank of England does not regulate issue of Pounds Sterling outside the UK despite those being convertible 1:1 with the various English, Scottish and NI issues of Sterling.

I can buy lots of Sterling issued coins from non-UK mints not regulated by the BofE and they are still Pounds Sterling.
    I would have said they are less autonomy, in practice, than Scotland does now. Certainly Gibraltar does. They’re hardly a model for an independent Scotland.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087
    Somewhat off topic.

Not happy - just spotted a squirrel tripping across the conservatory roof (which is bad enough) with one of my pears in its jaws (which is worse).

Harrumph.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    MattW said:

Somewhat off topic.

Not happy - just spotted a squirrel tripping across the conservatory roof (which is bad enough) with one of my pears in its jaws (which is worse).

Harrumph.

Red or grey?

A new moth for me - the Bedstraw Hawkmoth. I migrant from Europe. I'm saying nothing...

We have had 5 of the hawk moths at our trap this year - Elephant, Death's Head, Privet, Poplar and Hummingbird. Fabulous beasties.
    Been a good year for moths in my garden. Lots of them around and they’re all a handsome size. Not so good for butterflies though, which is a shame as I love butterflies. Also haven’t seen many bees - is that a general thing?
  • malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

De jure the Manx currency is not Sterling, it is no more legal tender than Mickey Mouse dollars are in Disneyland.

It is legal tender in the Isle of Man but it is not legal tender in the UK (though plenty will spend it and accept it as if it is). De facto its value is essentially tethered to Sterling which as we said earlier that's fine for a micronation but Scotland is more than just a micronation.

Scottish notes etc are different. They are Sterling and done with permission from the Bank of England with deposits in the Bank of England to match whatever is created.
  • ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

I would have said they are less autonomy, in practice, than Scotland does now. Certainly Gibraltar does. They’re hardly a model for an independent Scotland.
    I'm not recommending it - they should join the Euro. My point is that Sterling is already a form of currency union - it is not one single currency issued by and guaranteed by one central bank. Its a basket of currencies all called Sterling issued by a plethora of countries territories and banks with a 1:1 exchange rate between issues. The main difference to now is that the Scottish issued currency would not be guaranteed by the BofE. Which could make 1:1 an expensive challenge for them...
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    In our neck of the woods we are suffering from the oak processionary moth, which builds nests on oak trees.

If touched the nests can lead to severe skin irritations

Apparently its also an import from the continent
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748

MattW said:

Somewhat off topic.

Harrumph.

Red or grey?
    Grey pears are the worst.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,667

The government exercises this perfectly. Williamson has taken responsibility for what's happened and made the u-turn himself and taken responsibility to sort out the mess that's resulted.
    That's quite right. I don't like Williamson at the best of times but he's doing the right thing here.
    Poppycock, Mr Thompson! The man issues a steam of contradictory orders - all of them just to feed his mini-Trump boss with favourable headlines, by making it look as though they are doing something - the officials do their best to understand them and to carry them out, there is total chaos, the man identifies this as the fault of the officials, "assumes the responsibility" and carries on as though nothing at all had happened. And you think that is "doing the right thing"!

Am I right in thinking that the man received his education either at Oxford or Bradford? That would explain everything....
  • Alistair said:

Thread on the currency options for iScotland:

https://twitter.com/johnstuartwilso/status/1295428897597566976?s=21

They seemed to have blacked out the second debate where Salmond absolutely gutted Darling on currency.

Salmond literally summarised the 3 options in the debate.

Is this like the whole "hiding the figures that are openly discussed at the daily press conference" thing?
    He summarised the options but didn't pick one despite supposedly having a detailed plan of what an independent Scotland would look like. Instead he talked about a Sterling union which doesn't exist. That was dishonest.

The three options are
    1. Using Sterling despite not being officially in Sterling.
    2. Scottish Pound.
    3. Euro.

Sterling Union is not an option.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 14,912

In our neck of the woods we are suffering from the oak processionary moth, which builds nests on oak trees.

If touched the nests can lead to severe skin irritations

Apparently its also an import from the continent

Don't worry we'll be importing a lot less from the Continent after January.
  • ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

I'm not recommending it - they should join the Euro. My point is that Sterling is already a form of currency union - it is not one single currency issued by and guaranteed by one central bank. Its a basket of currencies all called Sterling issued by a plethora of countries territories and banks with a 1:1 exchange rate between issues. The main difference to now is that the Scottish issued currency would not be guaranteed by the BofE. Which could make 1:1 an expensive challenge for them...
    But its not. There's only one Sterling.

The Bank of England is the only authority able to print Sterling without a 1:1 deposit of Sterling into the Bank of England to replace what is printed.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Teachers: I`d like to read the article below but there is a firewall. Any way I can read this?

https://www.tes.com/news/gcses-and-levels-key-questions-after-u-turn
  • ClippP said:

The government exercises this perfectly. Williamson has taken responsibility for what's happened and made the u-turn himself and taken responsibility to sort out the mess that's resulted.
    Poppycock, Mr Thompson! The man issues a steam of contradictory orders - all of them just to feed his mini-Trump boss with favourable headlines, by making it look as though they are doing something - the officials do their best to understand them and to carry them out, there is total chaos, the man identifies this as the fault of the officials, "assumes the responsibility" and carries on as though nothing at all had happened. And you think that is "doing the right thing"!

Am I right in thinking that the man received his education either at Oxford or Bradford? That would explain everything....
    Poppycock yourself MrP!

Considering he's only Education Secretary for England perhaps you can explain which of the other 3 Education Secretaries acted differently? Or which of the other 3 resigned?

Or is Sturgeon a mini-Trump boss too in your eyes? And Drakeford? And Foster?
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346

Her husband faked his way through 8 years. He came in with such excitment and did nothing of note.
    ObamaCare has insured millions.
    Do you ever watch Dr Pimple Popper?
    Its a show from the USA where people get massive lumps removed.
    The only reason that these people are managing to get these lumps removed is because of the TV show.
    Often they have had these horrendous lumps for 20+ years. These lumps have a terrible impact on their lives. In this Country the lump would have been removed within 6 months.. Without this TV show these people would have continued to struggle through life. Sometimes the lumps are in a very dangerous position and she cannot help.

These people cannot afford healthcare and clearly Obamacare is as useful as a chocolate teapot for them.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Yes , that was a stupid thing to me, I understand they did it to calm fears of pensioners but was a bad move.
  • https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1295689861836476417/photo/1

So there has been an impact, just not really much.
  • Stocky said:

Teachers: I`d like to read the article below but there is a firewall. Any way I can read this?

Do you mean paywall? Anyway, I can read it for nothing and there is a "register for free" link top left.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585
    I think we are all past caring of how accident prone this government appears. If people start dying unnecessarily again we might take it seriously once more.
    Stocky said:

In my life on both sides of the border I have probably heard as many English people expressing anti-Scots feeling as the other way round. The growing Scottish desire for independence has nothing to do with hating the English - sorry to disappoint English posters here who love to think that the world revolves around them.
  • Stocky said:

Having looked at it it seems to be a set of questions but no answers.

The most interesting one is about appealing against the CAG. I have no idea how this would be done or if it is even possible.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,958

A new moth for me - the Bedstraw Hawkmoth. I migrant from Europe. I'm saying nothing...

Very envious of your Death's Head!
  • Interestingly - and caution subsamples - the group that has seen a substantial move in the past week have been over 65s, where crossover has occurred:

Approve 40% (-5)
    Disapprove 44% (+6)

Granny not happy about impact on the youngsters?

This is a particularly important group, of course, as its members vote in large numbers. Approval peaked at 75% earlier in the year, and the Government retained a fairly comfortable "approve" lead through the Cummings affair. Crossover is interesting.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,836

Her husband faked his way through 8 years. He came in with such excitment and did nothing of note.
    The only reason that these people are managing to get these lumps removed is because of the TV show.
    Often they have had these horrendous lumps for 20+ years. These lumps have a terrible impact on their lives. In this Country the lump would have been removed within 6 months.. Without this TV show these people would have continued to struggle through life. Sometimes the lumps are in a very dangerous position and she cannot help.

These people cannot afford healthcare and clearly Obamacare is as useful as a chocolate teapot for them.
    Which is a cogent argument for universal, free health care.
    And not an argument against Obamacare.

I think we are all past caring of how accident prone this government appears. If people start dying unnecessarily again we might take it seriously once more.
    Can you imagine the furore if the Government has said last Wednesday that they were just going to go with teachers predicted grades. If you read some of Ofqual comments over the weekend some colleges/schools vastly inflated predicted grades to a silly level. The press would have been all over it saying that the whole A level system had been devalued. The Government almost had to try the formula and let it fail so that they could go with the easy option. The A Level results have been devalued now but by tomorrow no one will be talikng about it anymore. If they had just gone with the teachers grades the bad press would have carried on for ages with the Daily Mail finding evidence of some schools where everyone was predicted an A in every subject when their previous avergae was a C.
    Stocky said:

Should be possible to log in with a Gmail account. Think they accept Facebook too.

Otherwise, it’s free to register.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    Stocky said:

You should be able to read it as it's not behind any sort of wall.

Anyway, this is what it says.

Questions for GCSEs
    1. Will students be able to appeal if they feel their CAG doesn't reflect their capability?

2. How will we unpick the discrepancies between schools where CAGs were calculated modestly, and schools where CAGs were more optimistic?

3. We know CAGs had a bulge at grade 4, so will there be more students who should be resitting English or maths, and are now on FE courses beyond their current capability?

5. What support will schools and colleges need to put in place for students who have aspirational grades and are now potentially going to struggle in their chosen courses?

6. Will the autumn exam series still go ahead?

7. Will students with higher mock grades than their CAG be able to appeal?

8. How will this impact how parents and students view the fairness of grades, and a teacher or school's responsibility for lower-than-wished for grades?

9. What are the long-term impacts of this change to future cohorts, particularly the students who will be Year 11 from September?

10. How will this change impact the GCSE examination system for the next cohort, considering they missed a large proportion of their exam course?

11. What does this mean for IGCSE results, which aren't regulated by Ofqual?

A-level questions
    1. Will there now be an option for students to revert to their first-choice university?

2. If a student's grades have improved, is it possible to now use Ucas Adjustment to see courses on offer?

3. Will students be able to decline their accepted offer and now go through Ucas clearing?

4. Will the autumn exam series still go ahead?

5. Now we have 'grade inflation' of at least 10 per cent above what was planned, what will this mean for the cohort of 2021? Will universities ask for higher grades for 2020, and lower for 2021 to compensate?

6. In the future, is this going to change how we do mock exams?

7. Will students with higher mock grades than their CAG be able to appeal?

8. Will the cap be lifted for universities?

9. What will the process look like for BTEC appeals?

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

De jure the Manx currency is not Sterling, it is no more legal tender than Mickey Mouse dollars are in Disneyland.

It is legal tender in the Isle of Man but it is not legal tender in the UK (though plenty will spend it and accept it as if it is). De facto its value is essentially tethered to Sterling which as we said earlier that's fine for a micronation but Scotland is more than just a micronation.

Scottish notes etc are different. They are Sterling and done with permission from the Bank of England with deposits in the Bank of England to match whatever is created.
    Scottish Pounds aren't legal tender in England either!
    I must admit I didn't even know the Isle of Man has its own currency until I read Rochdale's post above!
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,168
    edited August 2020

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Nor in Scotland, technically.

(Indeed, no banknotes are legal tender in Scotland).

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

To be absolutely pedantic, Scottish notes are not legal tender at all, including in Scotland.
  • ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649
    The most pressing of those is discrepancies between CAGs in different schools. We set a very clear rule that, overall, grades should reflect value added scores for students in comparison to previous year's results. We stuck to that. If schools have been less thorough or have not linked it to existing data then grades are not comparable.
    dixiedean said:

Which is a cogent argument for universal, free health care.
    And not an argument against Obamacare.
    How has Obamacare helped these people? Im not talking about an inch lump. Some people have a ten inch lump growing out of the side of their head? The Doctor has to get it tested for cancer first. Just imagine a ten inch lump on the side of your head and you cannot get it tested for cancer unless you pay? What does Obamacare do if it does not help people in this position?

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

If I remember correctly, they're not legal tender in Scotland either.
    ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

It depends on how many articles you’ve read. I think they allow the first two and then ask you to register.

But registering is not a big deal.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

That's true, although de facto they are as they are universally accepted north of the border.

That's certainly not the case in England – almost no-one accepts them here in London bar the banks and major supermarkets. Last time I ended up with a Scots £20, I had to deposit it at the bank.
    ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

It depends on how many articles you’ve read. I think they allow the first two and then ask you to register.

Thanks guys , the key question for me is GCSEs Q 7) Will students with higher mock grades than their CAG be able to appeal?

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

That's true, although de facto they are as they are universally accepted north of the border.

That's certainly not the case in England – almost no-one accepts them here in London bar the banks and major supermarkets. Last time I ended up with a Scots £20, I had to deposit it at the bank.
    Scottish notes are widely accepted in Newcastle.
    edited August 2020

I bet the last Boy Scout is wishing he hadn’t gone for this particular badge.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

English pound notes are not legal tender in Scotland, only the £1 & £2 coins are.
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

Thanks guys , the key question for me is GCSEs Q 7) Will students with higher mock grades than their CAG be able to appeal?
    I think my question would be in such circumstances, why is the mock grade higher than the CAG?

Suggests either somebody was asleep on the job, or the school’s mocks are more pointless than a broken pencil.
    5 deaths in NHS England hospitals, just 3 in the last week. No weekend effect anymore.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,087
    edited August 2020

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1295689861836476417/photo/1

Most things don't make that much of an impact.

It's the Durhamgate paradox; it was a huge story, it highlighted huge issues with the worldview of this government (one rule for them, dependence on a self-proclaimed wierdo, suck it up until 2024...), it knocked many percentage points of the Conservative vote share, but left the governing party ahead.

You want another example? Black Wednesday was a fiasco even greater than anything Boris dreamt up. But look at the poll of polls graph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_1997_United_Kingdom_general_election

The Conservative share started going down, and Labour started going up, well before the fateful day. Crossover happened to occur in Autumn 1992, but there's no "There's Black Wednesday!" change of gradient.

Earthquakes happen, but not very often. (And a good thing too. I despise Johnson and Johnsonism, and would be happy if he stood down this afternoon. But I don't want to live in a country that goes through the magnitude of disaster that would require.)

What happens more is erosion; a loss of credibility here, a messup there, some people deciding they've had enough of defending this shower somewhere else. Not enough to show up in the national percentages at any one time (and that's another thing that No 10 get wrong), but erosion destroys all in the end. And if a critical prop erodes away, final collapse can be swift and brutal.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Typical Fcukwits in that sh*thole.
    True story: when in my mid 20s I visited Bodrum with my then girlfriend (now wife). The local forex guy offered a much lower rate on Scottish money than he did on English. I had a Scots £20 and protested with him, but he wouldn't budge.

In the end, I spotted a guy in Celtic shirt drinking by the pool and asked him if he'd swap for an English note. As he was heading home the following day, he agreed.

Since that day I have always had a fondness for Celtic FC.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 6,168
    edited August 2020

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

I've never had a problem spending a Scottish note in London after a trip up there.

The term "legal tender" has almost no practical meaning. Very technically, I could sue you for non-payment of a debt in Scotland if you came to me with anything other than Royal Mint coins. But why on earth would I want to? The court might have no choice but to grudgingly find for me but would lumber me with your legal costs due to me acting like a complete d1ckhead.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Scott_xP said:
    There's a really good article on this here (don't be put off by the organisation which has published it):

https://institute.global/policy/uk-falls-elephant-trap-its-own-making-brexit

The UK approach will be a case study in how not to carry out negotiations for many years to come.

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Scottish notes are widely accepted in Newcastle.
    Yep, I lived there for six years. They were accepted even in pubs as I recall – so used were barmaids to seeing them. Not the case here!
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited August 2020
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

English pound notes are not legal tender in Scotland, only the £1 & £2 coins are.
    As the last Bank of England pound note was printed in 1984 I don’t think they are legal tender anywhere, though you might get more than £1 from a collector, depending on the condition.

Edit: e-bay suggests that £5 is about the going rate.
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

One of the great lines in Father Ted:

American Priest: ‘You know what I’d do with $400? I’d wipe my ass with $400!’

Ted: ‘Would it still be legal tender?’
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

I think my question would be in such circumstances, why is the mock grade higher than the CAG?

Suggests either somebody was asleep on the job, or the school’s mocks are more pointless than a broken pencil.
    Unfortunately, the particular school based CAGs on four or five factors, of which mock result was one. I`d like to think the mock result (they were proper mocks) represents a "back stop" but I have to have something to worry about don`t I!
    ydoethur said:

I bet the last Boy Scout is wishing he hadn’t gone for this particular badge.
    Arf!
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,280
    Has Titania McGrath really been suspended from Twitter?

Clucking bell.

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

As the last Bank of England pound note was printed in 1984 I don’t think they are legal tender anywhere, though you might get more than £1 from a collector, depending on the condition.

Edit: e-bay suggests that £5 is about the going rate.
    £1 for a torn note would be a ripoff.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,748
    malcolmg said:
    He's probably raging that she didn't do a better job.

Did you watch The Trial of Alex Salmond last night? I'm not Eck's biggest fan after what he admitted to during his trial, but what a crock that programme was. I don't think I've seen Scottish twitter so united since the general approval shown for the 'Boris Johnson is a pure fanny' graffiti in Glasgow.
  • malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ydoethur said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

Yes , that was a stupid thing to me, I understand they did it to calm fears of pensioners but was a bad move.
    Glad we agree on this.

The idea that Scotland isn't big enough and strong enough to have its own currency is insane, so I don't know why Salmond chose to run away from that. And it will probably stay reasonably aligned to Sterling.

Before any IndyRef2 this question must be answered. There are three viable answers, but just 2 sane ones for a country of Scotland's size, one of those needs to be picked.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,620
    NHS England Hospital numbers

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

Unfortunately, the particular school based CAGs on four or five factors, of which mock result was one. I`d like to think the mock result (they were proper mocks) represents a "back stop" but I have to have something to worry about don`t I!
    I’m thinking back to the list you posted, and considering all the other factors involved.

I don’t know your daughter’s school, of course, but I will be very, very surprised if they go for a grade lower than one achieved a ‘proper’ exam style mock using that system.

I would have said the other things are more likely to be used to justify a higher grade where a candidate performed poorly in a mock.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,146

Stocky said:

In my life on both sides of the border I have probably heard as many English people expressing anti-Scots feeling as the other way round. The growing Scottish desire for independence has nothing to do with hating the English - sorry to disappoint English posters here who love to think that the world revolves around them.
    I was very taken aback when it was held here on PB that a primary motive for the U-turn on exams in Scotland was to make life difficult for the London Government a week or two down the line. That was certainly a fine example of the "it's all about the English" fallacy.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

The Reaper is on strike or something?
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861
    edited August 2020

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1295689861836476417/photo/1

One should never look at just one poll. "Well" has dropped slightly each of the last 3 weeks, and noticeably since the start of may.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,585

Can you imagine the furore if the Government has said last Wednesday that they were just going to go with teachers predicted grades. If you read some of Ofqual comments over the weekend some colleges/schools vastly inflated predicted grades to a silly level. The press would have been all over it saying that the whole A level system had been devalued. The Government almost had to try the formula and let it fail so that they could go with the easy option. The A Level results have been devalued now but by tomorrow no one will be talikng about it anymore. If they had just gone with the teachers grades the bad press would have carried on for ages with the Daily Mail finding evidence of some schools where everyone was predicted an A in every subject when their previous avergae was a C.
    I do like the look of your rose tinted spectacles!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Get ready for legal popcorn when there's a nationalist majority at the next Scottish elections.

https://www.businessforscotland.com/a-2020-scottish-independence-referendum-what-if-westminster-says-no/
  • ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

Usually, it's because the mock is a complete real past paper. Schools and departments often do this because advisors point out it allows for a fully-authentic experience with real grade boundaries.

That's (sort of) true but if a kid (or their tutor) works out what the relevant paper is, then they can go usually on the web and find a copy, even if it's behind a password on the exam board website.

One year, I went through the paper to be used and changed all the numbers to swerve round this. One of the advantages of physics over history is that we can do this. Never again.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    edited August 2020
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

Mock results should be a gold standard, but you occasionally get a pupil who does far better in them than they have on any other measure. Sometimes it is because they have started to revise in earnest and the whole thing has clicked, sometimes it is because they have a tutor who has teacher access to the exam board website and has downloaded the mark scheme for them. This can be very difficult to prove and in most years I just take satisfaction that they will not be able to do the same thing for the real thing.

For that reason I can see why a pupil who is doing poorly in all measures other than the mock (for example the previous year’s end of year exam) might not end up being predicted the same grade as they got in the mock, particularly as it would mean putting them above someone else you thought on all the other evidence was better.

I do like the look of your rose tinted spectacles!
    Just look at the questions being asked about the GCSE's now?

Its not rose tinted, its the way the press now works.

The press tried yesterday afternoon the moment the U Turn was annouced with interviews with people complaing about grade inflation and lack of University places. These petered out because of the problem with the algorithim. If the algoritim had not happened then the inflated grade issue would have gone on for weeks
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,701
    RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

"Just resting"

RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

"Just resting"
    The belt on the wife's kimono got lost in the wash. So the baseball bat wielding lawyer has been grounded.
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

I’m thinking back to the list you posted, and considering all the other factors involved.

I don’t know your daughter’s school, of course, but I will be very, very surprised if they go for a grade lower than one achieved a ‘proper’ exam style mock using that system.

I would have said the other things are more likely to be used to justify a higher grade where a candidate performed poorly in a mock.
    I`ll let you know on Thursday.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,019
    Andy_JS said:

Clucking bell.

Yes, along with several other satirists.

It's gradually turning into an entirely one-sided echo chamber.
    Pulpstar said:

Get ready for legal popcorn when there's a nationalist majority at the next Scottish elections.

https://www.businessforscotland.com/a-2020-scottish-independence-referendum-what-if-westminster-says-no/

We'll go straight from a Brexit deal into a UK constitutional crisis.
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

ukpaul said:

Stocky said:

I`ll let you know on Thursday.
    Good luck to her.
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    So anyway, I was on an early morning flight to France this morning. Half an hour before arrival the pilot said they'd just received word from the French authorities that we'd all be 'invited' to undertake a period of voluntary quarantine on arrival. More details at the terminal.

No details were forthcoming. Nobody in the media seems to have heard about it at all. Pilot having a joke, or the French authorities doing the bare minimum to put in place their "reciprocal" measures that would have had nothing beyond UK-French politics to justify it? (given all the other countries that have restrictions on arrivals from France that are not reciprocated).
    That was an amazing catch by Hankins. Two handed parry, then catching it on the rebound in his right hand.

Glamorgan now in a bigger mess than Ofqual.
    RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

I think the reason PHE have been disbanded is that they were just making up their daily death number just to embarrass the Government.

Pulpstar said:

That’s a very interesting article. If the Claim of Right cannot be overruled by Westminster then its arguably the only “Higher Law” in the United Kingdom! I can hear @HYUFD frothing at the concept from here.

RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

"Just resting"
    The belt on the wife's kimono got lost in the wash. So the baseball bat wielding lawyer has been grounded.
    Modified my code to show zero days at the end of the series....

Andy_JS said:

Clucking bell.

Humourless bastards. I wish I used Twitter, just so I could boycott it.

RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

I think the reason PHE have been disbanded is that they were just making up their daily death number just to embarrass the Government.
    Unlikely. What's more likely is they were doing what they said they were doing, counting all deaths without a cut-off point.
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,861

Andy_JS said:

Clucking bell.

If it's one-sided, it's not going to echo very well.

Pulpstar said:

That’s a very interesting article. If the Claim of Right cannot be overruled by Westminster then its arguably the only “Higher Law” in the United Kingdom! I can hear @HYUFD frothing at the concept from here.
    And it's based on either a misapprehension or a further lie:

https://www.scotcourts.gov.uk/the-courts/supreme-courts/about-the-court-of-session

Certain decisions can be appealed to the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, either with the permission of the Inner House or, if the Inner House has refused permission, with the permission of the UK Supreme Court.

So the claims about Scots law and the International Court of Justice are meaningless.

Scott_xP said:
    There's a really good article on this here (don't be put off by the organisation which has published it):

https://institute.global/policy/uk-falls-elephant-trap-its-own-making-brexit

The UK approach will be a case study in how not to carry out negotiations for many years to come.
    I can't believe the deal will really founder on state aid.

It's an abstract concept for most, not particularly politically high-stakes and most Conservatives don't particularly like it anyway.
  • RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

An algorithm downgraded Death to mere Disease.
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

Unlikely. What's more likely is they were doing what they said they were doing, counting all deaths without a cut-off point.
    These is hospital numbers - which involve those wacky doctors and their crazy medical decisions on who died of what.

At to PHE - it was... er.... interesting how they handled the review of their methodology.

RobD said:

RobD said:

Headline - 5
    7 days - 3
    Yesterday - 0
    Day before yesterday - 0

These is hospital numbers - which involve those wacky doctors and their crazy medical decisions on who died of what.

At to PHE - it was... er.... interesting how they handled the review of their methodology.
    Yeah, I was just replying to NerysHughes point about PHE.
This discussion has been closed.