Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    edited August 2020

@Theuniondivvie

Indeed they do, but the claim is disingenuous.

The SNP look for dividing lines with England, and then align themselves accordingly. Not the other way round.

We were told in 2014 that if we wanted to stay in the EU that we should vote No to stay aligned with England. How did that work out?
    Badly.

What you should have been told was that while leaving the UK would have terminated your EU membership and therefore voting Remain was the only pathway to retaining it, voting Remain was not in itself a guarantee of staying in given the realistic possibility of a vote on EU membership in the near future. But the second bit kind of got lost in the wash.

In fairness, very few people foresaw that the UK would vote to leave the EU, especially if Scotland was voting (and one factor that tipped the scales was lower turnout in Scotland). But it was still, in practice, a lie.

You were lied to, repeatedly, by both sides, which unfortunately set the tone for the EU referendum in 2016.
  • Options
    More bad news from the High Street:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-53817598
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

If they want to use the currency of foreign countries the smart option is the Euro. It is designed as a currency union so has safeguards in it that simply don't exist within Sterling.

Rubbish. Simple optimal currency area theory is that if you can't have your own currency you want to join the currency with which your economy is most integrated, and your economic cycles are most synced. And for Scotland, that's undoubtedly England.

In addition, there are significant transactions costs to changing to the Euro, which there wouldn't be if they kept the pound.

And finally the euro is a currency rigged in favour of surplus countries in a number of ways, as Greece, Italy and others have found to their cost, and Scotland would be a deficit country, as the UK is.

So either they should have their own currency, with all the associated changeover costs, or they should keep sterling, no matter how much annoys nationalists.
    Also an integrated economy goes two ways.

https://twitter.com/DavidJFHalliday/status/1288132576985714688?s=20
    What does the corresponding chart for Scotland look like ?
    The Wiki figs are a bit ancient (2014) but £47b to rUK, £12b to EU, £17b to ROW.

https://tinyurl.com/y5r3z2l4

Scotland's exports to EU in 2019 have risen to £17b, ROW £17b, dunno what rUK figs are.

https://tinyurl.com/y6fv59jr
    Cheers.
    It would be an interesting set of negotiations.

Perhaps by then we’d have learned something from the coming Brexit mess.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,571
    edited August 2020
    MrEd said:

Fishing said:

If they want to use the currency of foreign countries the smart option is the Euro. It is designed as a currency union so has safeguards in it that simply don't exist within Sterling.

Rubbish. Simple optimal currency area theory is that if you can't have your own currency you want to join the currency with which your economy is most integrated, and your economic cycles are most synced. And for Scotland, that's undoubtedly England.

In addition, there are significant transactions costs to changing to the Euro, which there wouldn't be if they kept the pound.

And finally the euro is a currency rigged in favour of surplus countries in a number of ways, as Greece, Italy and others have found to their cost, and Scotland would be a deficit country, as the UK is.

So either they should have their own currency, with all the associated changeover costs, or they should keep sterling, no matter how much annoys nationalists.

I would be interested to see the underlying data behind that Business for Scotland chart. I suspect a lot has to do with the trade in financial services, especially for investment houses HQ'd in Edinburgh.
    Export Performance
    In 2017, the financial and business services sector accounted for around 10.3 per cent (£3.4bn) of Scotland’s total international exports and 27.1 per cent (£13.2bn) of Scotland’s total exports to the rest of the UK. International exports in this sector have increased reasonably consistently over time, despite a brief dip during the 2007/8 financial crisis. Exports to the rest of the UK have also increased over time, though the impact of the financial crisis is more apparent, with exports yet to return to their pre-crisis peak (Figure 1).

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scotland-a-trading-nation/sectors/financial-and-business-services/
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Dura_Ace said:

It's interesting that debate about Scottish independence has moved on from whether or not they should to how they could. It's starting to have a feeling of inevitability about it.

I'm not particularly vested in it but if it annoys gammony tories then it is axiomatically a worthy endeavour.

Gammony English Tories are not much bothered either way about the Union as long as we cut all ties with Brussels, the most diehard Unionists now are One Nation Remain voting Tories and Liberal Democrats and Blairites and Brownites
    Hold on a minute - you are the one itching to send the troops in!
    I am a Remain voting Tory
    But aren't you a born-again Leaver?

I don't see Ken Clarke raising a people's militia to support the Union.
    I respected the Brexit vote but still would prefer a trade deal with the EU post Brexit.

Clarke is no longer even a Tory MP
    He is a conservative peer
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Scotland accounts for 7.5% of rUK's trade
    rUK accounts for 60% of Scotland's trade

So significantly more asymmetric than UK-EU

"Business (sic) for Scotland" makes WINGS look rational.
    Whenever I have someone Irish berate me for the UK leaving the EU on economic grounds, I always ask "so I guess you would have been against Irish independence in 1922?". Usually that shuts them up.
    Whenever I have some English Brexiteer berate me for wanting Scotland to have a referendum on leaving the the UK on the grounds of democratic will, I always ask "so I guess you were actually against England having a vote on Brexit then?". Unfortunately that hardly ever shuts them up.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,902

Given how Europhile Scotland has become I don't understand why the SNP don't just neuter the currency issue by saying they would join the Euro?

I understand the Euro became unpopular when Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain were really struggling with it but that's moved on now and Ireland isn't exactly looking back to the Irish Pound now is it?

Given the SNP are saying they want to be Europeans, why not just go the whole full throttled, full fat, full sugar EU approach and say we will join the Euro and use the Pound only until the Euro is adopted, with an aim to become EU members and Euro users on the day Scotland becomes independent.

Doing that would neutralise the currency issue. It answers the questions. "Who will be the lender of last resort" - answer: the ECB.

If you're Eurosceptic then the Euro is a bad idea, but then the SNP are looking to take Scotland back into the EU as full members. So why go in intending to be half-divorced members like the UK was pre-Brexit? Go in properly or don't bother.

Absolutely spot on. Would also give Edinburgh a useful competitive advantage in the island of Britain – would be in the Eurozone.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

The argument for independence is largely an emotional one. The argument for the union must be primarily an emotional one. At the moment, it feels like unionists are telling a partner who is thinking about leaving that they'll never get a better partner and listing all the ways their life will be shit if they leave. That may be true, but it's not a winning argument.

Arguably it was in 2014
  • Options

Whenever I have some English Brexiteer berate me for wanting Scotland to have another referendum on leaving the the UK on the grounds of democratic will, I always ask "so I guess you were actually against England having a vote on Brexit then?". Unfortunately that hardly ever shuts them up.

If you want to wait 41 years like the Eurosceptics did, I'm sure that would count as a generation.
  • Options

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Whenever I have someone Irish berate me for the UK leaving the EU on economic grounds, I always ask "so I guess you would have been against Irish independence in 1922?". Usually that shuts them up.
    Whenever I have some English Brexiteer berate me for wanting Scotland to have a referendum on leaving the the UK on the grounds of democratic will, I always ask "so I guess you were actually against England having a vote on Brexit then?". Unfortunately that hardly ever shuts them up.
    The first EEC referendum was 1975, the second EU referendum in 2016.

So on that basis I would agree to indyref2 in 2055
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    HYUFD said:

The argument for independence is largely an emotional one. The argument for the union must be primarily an emotional one. At the moment, it feels like unionists are telling a partner who is thinking about leaving that they'll never get a better partner and listing all the ways their life will be shit if they leave. That may be true, but it's not a winning argument.

Arguably it was in 2014
    Yes it was, but only just. And only just winning isn't good enough for the next time. It needs to be sent packing, so we can all move on, and spend our time in better ways than disliking each other.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Then perhaps it is fortunate it isn't your decision.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@Theuniondivvie

Indeed they do, but the claim is disingenuous.

The SNP look for dividing lines with England, and then align themselves accordingly. Not the other way round.

We were told in 2014 that if we wanted to stay in the EU that we should vote No to stay aligned with England. How did that work out?
    Badly.

What you should have been told was that while leaving the UK would have terminated your EU membership and therefore voting Remain was the only pathway to retaining it, voting Remain was not in itself a guarantee of staying in given the realistic possibility of a vote on EU membership in the near future. But the second bit kind of got lost in the wash.

In fairness, very few people foresaw that the UK would vote to leave the EU, especially if Scotland was voting (and one factor that tipped the scales was lower turnout in Scotland). But it was still, in practice, a lie.

You were lied to, repeatedly, by both sides, which unfortunately set the tone for the EU referendum in 2016.
    Well, the deal is the winners own subsequent events. If there hadn't been an EU referendum, or Remain had won it, Indy would be coasting along on sub 45%, the Union on 55% plus and the SNP would be at best hoping for some sort of a deal with the Greens after May next year. Unionists could have had the Union or Brexit, but they got greedy and wanted both. They just need to suck it up.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,208
    HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

The first Scottish Parliament ref was in 1979 and the second in 1999.

So on that basis I would say you are full of excrement.
  • Options

For once I strongly agree with you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Indyref 2035 then ?
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

Just be thankful he hasn't used the Welsh Parliament. First summoned in 1405, next summoned 1408, next summoned 1999.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    Yes it was, but only just. And only just winning isn't good enough for the next time. It needs to be sent packing, so we can all move on, and spend our time in better ways than disliking each other.
    Quebec voted just 51% to stay in Canada in its second referendum in 1995 and has not had another since
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Whenever I have some English Brexiteer berate me for wanting Scotland to have another referendum on leaving the the UK on the grounds of democratic will, I always ask "so I guess you were actually against England having a vote on Brexit then?". Unfortunately that hardly ever shuts them up.

If you want to wait 41 years like the Eurosceptics did, I'm sure that would count as a generation.
    Like the Eurosceptics did (cos they didn't have any choice), I'll wait for my country to vote for a party that has a referendum as a central part of their manifesto to win an election.

Thankfully it looks like we may be spared 41 years of Eurosceptic-style pissing and moaning.
  • Options

Given how Europhile Scotland has become I don't understand why the SNP don't just neuter the currency issue by saying they would join the Euro?

I understand the Euro became unpopular when Ireland, Greece, Portugal, Italy and Spain were really struggling with it but that's moved on now and Ireland isn't exactly looking back to the Irish Pound now is it?

Given the SNP are saying they want to be Europeans, why not just go the whole full throttled, full fat, full sugar EU approach and say we will join the Euro and use the Pound only until the Euro is adopted, with an aim to become EU members and Euro users on the day Scotland becomes independent.

Doing that would neutralise the currency issue. It answers the questions. "Who will be the lender of last resort" - answer: the ECB.

If you're Eurosceptic then the Euro is a bad idea, but then the SNP are looking to take Scotland back into the EU as full members. So why go in intending to be half-divorced members like the UK was pre-Brexit? Go in properly or don't bother.

Absolutely spot on. Would also give Edinburgh a useful competitive advantage in the island of Britain – would be in the Eurozone.
    I think Edinburgh thrives as the bridge between the rUK and the eurozone in this scenario, surely @DavidL would be happy about that ?
  • Options

If the SNP were honest about their prospectus it means 4-8 years of economic disruption, including less money for public services, followed by EU membership, euro membership and free movement coupled with a hard-ish border (in the long-term) with England & Wales, plus becoming a republic a decade or so down the line.

If people want to vote for that - due to identity - then that's fair enough. Ireland did. But it takes quite a long time to get back up to par and, at the moment, they're not very clean about it.

They could remain in the Commonwealth as an independent nation in the Commonwealth like Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
    Of course, although I expect some would take a different view on that too like Ireland did.
    Of course.

And regarding the economic disruption its not just what Ireland voted for - we did too. Its what we voted for with Brexit.

I see the principles in both the same, that's why I support both.
    The principles are very similar. However, my identity is British and I supported British independence from the EU but not home-islands separation and independence on top too. It's all about identity and how you feel.

The venn diagram overlap which I'm in seems to be somewhat smaller than I'd hoped.
    If your identity is British why vote for Johnson who is on a course to destroy the country as we know (and love) it?
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571

I think that post is entirely logical.

The one spanner in the works, which otherwise would have made it a much easier option for Scotland, is us leaving the EU and therefore putting a border between us. It is the Northern Ireland argument again.

If we hadn't voted to leave, Scottish Independence was much easier (assuming the EU allowed them to maintain their membership).
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    Quebec voted just 51% to stay in Canada in its second referendum in 1995 and has not had another since
    I don't know enough about Quebec to comment, but if society has healed and people have moved on on the basis of those numbers, it says a lot about the people there.
  • Options
    Tres said:

If the SNP were honest about their prospectus it means 4-8 years of economic disruption, including less money for public services, followed by EU membership, euro membership and free movement coupled with a hard-ish border (in the long-term) with England & Wales, plus becoming a republic a decade or so down the line.

If people want to vote for that - due to identity - then that's fair enough. Ireland did. But it takes quite a long time to get back up to par and, at the moment, they're not very clean about it.

They could remain in the Commonwealth as an independent nation in the Commonwealth like Canada, New Zealand and Australia.
    Of course, although I expect some would take a different view on that too like Ireland did.
    Of course.

And regarding the economic disruption its not just what Ireland voted for - we did too. Its what we voted for with Brexit.

The principles are very similar. However, my identity is British and I supported British independence from the EU but not home-islands separation and independence on top too. It's all about identity and how you feel.

The venn diagram overlap which I'm in seems to be somewhat smaller than I'd hoped.
    If your identity is British why vote for Johnson who is on a course to destroy the country as we know (and love) it?
    Did you see the other guy at the last GE :D ?!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,072
    MrEd said:

Fishing said:

I would be interested to see the underlying data behind that Business for Scotland chart. I suspect a lot has to do with the trade in financial services, especially for investment houses HQ'd in Edinburgh.
    What they've done is to disingenuously split the EU figure, which doesn't make sense as it requires one trade deal with the EU. So a lot of the EU total is hidden off the right edge of the graph, whereas if you had a bar for the EU it would dwarf that for Scotland.
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

So you are happy to pencil in 2034 for indyref2 then?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    I don't know enough about Quebec to comment, but if society has healed and people have moved on on the basis of those numbers, it says a lot about the people there.
    Quebec has devomax now effectively which has helped
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

The flip side is that SNP are telling Scotland they will marry a super model and have weekly winning lottery tickets, to fund their jet-set lifestyle.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

MrEd said:

Fishing said:

What they've done is to disingenuously split the EU figure, which doesn't make sense as it requires one trade deal with the EU. So a lot of the EU total is hidden off the right edge of the graph, whereas if you had a bar for the EU it would dwarf that for Scotland.
    Yeah, it's not called the single market for nothing. The same plot for Scotland would show rUK dwarfing the EU, let alone the individual member states.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Of course.

Reminds me of the fave refrain of Trump voters.
  • Options

So you are happy to pencil in 2034 for indyref2 then?
    That is for the Scottish electorate to decide, not me or you.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Of course.

You're seriously comparing Clinton to Corbyn ?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,571
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    The SNP have not even taken up all the powers they have been offered by Westminster. Apparently it takes 5 years to set up the systems to run welfare powers, but a new nation takes 18 months.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/1435913-ministers-delay-full-control-of-welfare-powers-until-2024?top
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Not surprised. He'll hope the Democrats will work themselves into a lather about that, rather than talk about the economy and coronavirus.
  • Options
    How can anyone democratically support no Indy Ref if the SNP get a majority next year.

I oppose Independence strongly but I simply cannot understand how that is not a case for another referendum.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Of course.

Both were extremely polarising candidates and bad choices for their respective parties imo.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708

Unionists musn`t make the same mistake that Remain did in the EU Ref. That is, to only base their arguments on pragmatic factors.

I agree that the case for Scottish independence is largely emotional, as long as it is accepted that in this case the emotion runs both ways. I am emotionally attached to Britain, I`m British way more than I am English. Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English - all equal as far as I`m concerned. All British. One nation.

That`s why if there is another Scottish referendum everyone in Britain should have a say. We all have emotions and identity invested in this issue. It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.
  • Options

The flip side is that SNP are telling Scotland they will marry a super model and have weekly winning lottery tickets, to fund their jet-set lifestyle.
    Who said this:

'Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3?'
  • Options

Not surprised. He'll hope the Democrats will work themselves into a lather about that, rather than talk about the economy and coronavirus.
    Democrats can ignore it, if push and shove come Pelosi is made president on a 7-2 SCOTUS majority.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Of course.

I thought it was comparing Corbyn to Trump.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    Err. That's largely because opinion has moved against it.
    So much so that even polling on the question is rare nowadays. But when it happens it is 25 to 33%.
    There are numerous, complex political and demographic reasons for this on both a provincial and federal level, but comparisons with Scotland are not really apt because of this.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Unionists musn`t make the same mistake that Remain did in the EU Ref. That is, to only base their arguments on pragmatic factors.

I agree that the case for Scottish independence is largely emotional, as long as it is accepted that in this case the emotion runs both ways. I am emotionally attached to Britain, I`m British way more than I am English. Irish, Scottish, Welsh, English - all equal as far as I`m concerned. All British. One nation.

That`s why if there is another Scottish referendum everyone in Britain should have a say. We all have emotions and identity invested in this issue. It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.
    It's not one nation though, is it?

Tbh I didn't notice a shortage of everyone in Britain having a say last time round. If you mean that everyone should have a vote, I'm afraid that would force me down the tedious 'Brexit should have been an EU wide vote' line, which would be distressing for everyone.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Pulpstar said:

Tres said:

Of course.

I thought it was comparing Corbyn to Trump.
    In terms of running a country, a Clinton administration is miles ahead of the other three options I think. Corbyn bang last, Johnson slightly above Trump.
    For electioneering, Clinton slides down the list somewhat.
  • Options

How can anyone democratically support no Indy Ref if the SNP get a majority next year.

I oppose Independence strongly but I simply cannot understand how that is not a case for another referendum.

I agree that, in my judgement, a majority (which could consist of Greens as well as the SNP) elected to Holyrood on a manifesto commitment to hold a referendum would be a democratic mandate for one to happen.

And yet. I don't think each election is a year zero event that erases all past history. It's not necessarily entirely anti-democratic to oppose another referendum on the basis of holding people to the commitment at the previous referendum that it would be a once-in-a-generation event.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Tbh I didn't notice a shortage of everyone in Britain having a say last time round. If you mean that everyone should have a vote, I'm afraid that would force me down the tedious 'Brexit should have been an EU wide vote' line, which would be distressing for everyone.
    Although it would have been quite funny if we'd voted to stay in the EU by a narrow margin and everyone else had told us to fuck off.
  • Options

Stocky said:

False analagy - much more of a nation than EU is. Not beyond the wit of man to devise a weighting: Scot = 1.0, Non Scot 0.5. We can argue about the weighting, but at least everyone would get a say.
  • Options
    Since we're on the subject..

https://twitter.com/paulhutcheon/status/1295678493137817600?s=20

Can 'Project Fear' lay claim to be the most influential political term of the the last 10 years? Top 5 at least.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    So much so that even polling on the question is rare nowadays. But when it happens it is 25 to 33%.
    There are numerous, complex political and demographic reasons for this on both a provincial and federal level, but comparisons with Scotland are not really apt because of this.
    That is after Quebec's indyref2, before its indyref2 Yes to independence from Canada led most polls but No won 51% to 49% as Don't Knows went No.

So very apt for Scotland
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    ydoethur said:

Who said this:

'Voting Tory will cause your wife to have bigger breasts and increase your chances of owning a BMW M3?'
    In his case the analysis is not totally incorrect, perhaps he should have said voting Tory will cause "my wife" etc. and "increase my chances of owning a BMW M3".

He does after all now enjoy a chauffer driven Jaguar and he has exchanged his wife for a trophy mistress.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    That is after Quebec's indyref2, before its indyref2 Yes to independence from Canada led most polls but No won 51% to 49% as Don't Knows went No.

So very apt for Scotland
    Indeed so lets see how Scotland's Indyref2.

Glad you're on the same page now.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Who said this:

In his case the analysis is not totally incorrect, perhaps he should have said voting Tory will cause "my wife" etc. and "increase my chances of owning a BMW M3".

He does after all now enjoy a chauffer driven Jaguar and he has exchanged his wife for a trophy mistress.
    In many ways, the more telling comment in that speech was this comment and aside.

'Can't remember what my line on drugs is. What's my line on drugs?'

Setting his inability to master policy detail early...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Stocky said:

It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.

Nobody regards the English as fondly as the English.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

So very apt for Scotland

Quebec's indyref2 was in 1995, 15 years after its first referendum in 1980.

So that means 2029 for Scotland's indyref2 at the earliest
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Stocky said:

By implication you think we should aim to re-incorporate Ireland into the UK?
  • Options

Stocky said:

By implication you think we should aim to re-incorporate Ireland into the UK?
    No, I was referring to NI.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

So very apt for Scotland

No it means 2029 at the latest if we follow their precedence. No reason it can't be earlier if the Scots vote to have it earlier.

Handily they're having an election next year so let's see what they say then.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883
    edited August 2020

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Andy_JS said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Walked past an outdoor rave/party in a square in Palermo, we decided to join for a bit. Really hoping we can get the clubs open ASAP as there is definitely something lacking from life at the moment and I think dancing in bars and clubs is part of it. It was the first time either myself of my wife have really just cut loose and had a proper dance since probably Xmas last year, we'd normally go to bars at least once every couple of weeks with friends and go to a nostalgia 90s night every couple of months as well. I've just realised how much I miss it and meeting friends there.

Hmm, clubs look to be globally an absolute hotspot for transmission; definitely one to keep closed if you want the total risk budget low enough for schools.
    Enjoy the holiday !
    There's only so long that we can reasonably expect people not to do things like going to clubs and bars. Humanity has got through much worse things than Covid-19 in the past without ruining everything worthwhile about life. What disturbs me is the number of otherwise reasonable people who seem to honestly expect people to live like hermits for 18 months or 2 years.
    FPT: Vaccine is heading out in rapid time, "There's only so long" takes us past the point one is likely out in my opinion.
    Indeed.

We need to get life pretty much back to normal until a vaccine is out, we're probably well past the halfway point of until then If we can get pretty much back to normal but without nightclubs, with quarantining of foreign travel and with face masks . . . then I can live with that until there's a vaccine.

Its better than another damn lockdown. That needs to be avoided.
    To nightclubs, I would also add gigs and loud music in pubs. Vocalisation and people getting physically close so they can hear each other are a recipe for spread. Sadly football crowds too. Quiet crowds in theatres or lectures etc may well be safe. Unfortunate, and I am a fan of live music, but not safe at present.

I suppose one counterpoint to that is that people who frequent nightclubs and gigs are unlikely to be adversely affected by Covid, so as long as they are careful not to meet vulnerable groups it would improve immunity with very little if any detriment to health.
    They not only need to avoid vulnerable groups, they need also to avoid people who come into contact with vulnerable groups. Which essentially means the lives of people who want to go to a club or work in a club have to do so in total isolation.

That might work for professional sports people but I can't see most club goers adhering to those rules.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

It`s a great shame - indeed a tragedy - that Scots don`t regard English people as fondly as the English do the Scots.

Sorry, I just flagged that as OT - clumsy thumbs.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Ha, ha, I`m sure you`re right. (I wasn`t me who off-topiced you by the way.)
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

So very apt for Scotland

No it means 2029 at the latest if we follow their precedence. No reason it can't be earlier if the Scots vote to have it earlier.

Handily they're having an election next year so let's see what they say then.
    Hey, don't quibble. 26 years have been knocked off already.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,883

Stocky said:

What word do you use to describe the UK, then? Country? Nation state?
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Though the idea of the self hating Englishman seems to be gaining currency, that is anyone who doesn't like Jim Davidson, statchoos and changes their pants every day.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Who said this:

In many ways, the more telling comment in that speech was this comment and aside.

or cleverly sidestepping future charges of hypocrisy on drugs (see Gove, M).
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

A unitary state? Wiki describes the UK as consisting 'of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Ironically Unionists who are keen on the one nation thing seem to ignore the implications of the word union.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Who said this:

That statement may also have been broadly accurate, given his interest in more liberal epicurean lifestyles. Although you are probably on the money with your interpretation.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

A unitary state? Wiki describes the UK as consisting 'of four countries: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland'.

Ironically Unionists who are keen on the one nation thing seem to ignore the implications of the word union.
    Wikipedia is wrong because Wales isn't a country, it's a principality. Also, it's Wikipedia.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Wikipedia is wrong because Wales isn't a country, it's a principality. Also, it's Wikipedia.
    The more problematic one is describing Northern Ireland as a country.

Ulster was a country. Ireland was/is a country. Northern Ireland is a construct.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Ulster was a country. Ireland was/is a country. Northern Ireland is a construct.
    Good job you're not a geography teacher!
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Good job you're not a geography teacher!
    Why?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Wales is de-facto a country, and I can imagine most Welsh people would consider it a county. “Murr principality” types are irrelevant.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,346
    Her husband faked his way through 8 years. He came in with such excitment and did nothing of note.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

So says the world renowned financial expert who can see future country budgets and deficits
  • Options
    MrEd said:

Fishing said:

I thought we had jack shit financial services
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Wales is de-facto a country, and I can imagine most Welsh people would consider it a county. “Murr principality” types are irrelevant.
    For sure, but in a legal and technical sense it is a principality, which is what an encyclopedia is supposed to be for. If I wanted to know how Welsh people felt about it I'd go and ask them if I want to know what the legal status of Wales is I would expect something that purports to be an encyclopedia to know.
  • Options
    The government exercises this perfectly. Williamson has taken responsibility for what's happened and made the u-turn himself and taken responsibility to sort out the mess that's resulted.

That's quite right. I don't like Williamson at the best of times but he's doing the right thing here.
  • Options
    Tres said:

HYUFD said:

MrEd said:

Nigelb said:

Fishing said:

10lb in a 5lb bag unfortunately as well
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    Pulpstar said:

I think Edinburgh thrives as the bridge between the rUK and the eurozone in this scenario, surely @DavidL would be happy about that ?
    I do not think that Scotland would be better off in the Euro or in the EU when rUK is not. Our trade is currently dominated by intra UK trade which would have all of the NI issues plus a currency issue as well. The Euro has been a cross to bear for several countries, notably the PIIGS, and I fear it would be for us too.

But, if Scotland were to vote for independence, I would concede that this is a better scenario than most of the others. Still a long, long way from cost free of course and not entirely in our own hands because it very much depends on the nature of the Brexit deal that the UK strikes and the co-operation of the EU in accelerating our membership application.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    Scott_xP said:
    They'll certainly need one for the omnishambles that will be Dover-Calais in four months time.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

For sure, but in a legal and technical sense it is a principality, which is what an encyclopedia is supposed to be for. If I wanted to know how Welsh people felt about it I'd go and ask them if I want to know what the legal status of Wales is I would expect something that purports to be an encyclopedia to know.
    Wales is a country officially now, its not a principality anymore.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Her husband faked his way through 8 years. He came in with such excitment and did nothing of note.
    ObamaCare has insured millions.
  • Options
    Wales legally became a country and not a principality under ISO definitions in 2011.

The correct term for Northern Ireland is "province".

https://www.iso.org/files/live/sites/isoorg/files/archive/pdf/en/iso_3166-2_newsletter_ii-3_2011-12-13.pdf
  • Options
    Stocky said:

can file this lot under total whining self interest bollox,
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

The “legal” status of Wales is probably highly disputed. The consequence of the various Welsh Acts over the last 20 years, as well as others, probably change the status of “Wales” as it was when it was incorporated into the Kingdom of England.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Ulster was a country? Er, no it wasn't.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Is being a principality and a country mutually exclusive?
  • Options
    For a moment I thought that might be to oversee the aftermath of the US elections...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

It hasn't been legally a principality for nine years now. The legal and technical definition is that it is a country.
  • Options

The government exercises this perfectly. Williamson has taken responsibility for what's happened and made the u-turn himself and taken responsibility to sort out the mess that's resulted.

That's quite right. I don't like Williamson at the best of times but he's doing the right thing here.
    I blame Tony Blair. Taking responsibility for something used to mean resigning, not issuing a half-arsed apology and sacking an underling.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014
    The SNP have not even taken up all the powers they have been offered by Westminster. Apparently it takes 5 years to set up the systems to run welfare powers, but a new nation takes 18 months.

https://news.stv.tv/politics/1435913-ministers-delay-full-control-of-welfare-powers-until-2024?top
    More utter unionist tripe. It is the UK that needs to provide the access to their shit systems that is at fault. Lady Haw Haw once again, are you physically able of telling the truth.
  • Options
    Sweden's Covid-19 strategist under fire over herd immunity emails
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/17/swedens-covid-19-strategist-under-fire-over-herd-immunity-emails
    Anders Tegnell appears to have asked if higher death rate for older people might be acceptable...
  • Options

ydoethur said:

MaxPB said:

eristdoof said:

Stocky said:

Ulster was a country? Er, no it wasn't.
    Was in the middle ages...
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably it was in 2014

More utter unionist tripe. It is the UK that needs to provide the access to their shit systems that is at fault. Lady Haw Haw once again, are you physically able of telling the truth.
    If they're shit, why do you want access to them?
This discussion has been closed.