Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An opportunity for Sir Keir to set the agenda

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited August 2020 in General
imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » An opportunity for Sir Keir to set the agenda

“Grades will instead be issued according to Ofqual’s statistical model, relying on a school’s recent exam history.” The computer ensures your future determined by the school you went to, and there is nothing you can do about it. https://t.co/pvk1cvGdNJ

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First ... yet again!
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,676
    It would seem so, Mr Putney
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Good morning, everyone.

Just as an aside, this sort of nonsense long precedes the current crisis (grades being wrong). I had six exams for my Religious Studies A-level. The first I got an A, I think, the second and third were apparently a D and E which miraculously improved by quite a lot when I asked for remarking/reassessment. [Sadly wasn't possible due to, er, leaving school for the similarly badly assessed final pair of exams].

F1: very interesting grid, bar the front row. Really nice to see Hulkenberg perform superbly in qualifying. Rough for Kvyat. He and Ricciardo might have good races.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

First ... yet again!

We regret to inform you that your placing has been adjusted one grade downwards.
  • Options
    It's taken just 12 months for Boris Johnson to create a government of sleaze. From Dominic Cummings to dodgy business deals, the prime minister’s circle behave as if the rules simply don’t apply to them

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/07/its-taken-just-12-months-for-boris-johnson-to-create-a-government-of-sleaze
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Betting Post

F1: backed Kvyat for points at 6.5 (7 with boost). He was into the points last weekend and only failed to score due to a reliability failure. This time he was fast enough to be top 10 but got a time eliminated.

https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2020/08/70th-anniversary-grand-prix-pre-race.html
  • Options
    US National Park Service advice if you get into trouble with a bear: ”Do NOT push down a slower friend (even if you think the friendship has run its course).”
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    IanB2 said:

It's taken just 12 months for Boris Johnson to create a government of sleaze. From Dominic Cummings to dodgy business deals, the prime minister’s circle behave as if the rules simply don’t apply to them

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/aug/07/its-taken-just-12-months-for-boris-johnson-to-create-a-government-of-sleaze

The Guardian criticising a Tory government - who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916
    edited August 2020
    'Mornin' all!
    Sounds like 'You can't possibly have achieved an A; your school has never had a pupil with one before.'
    Hmmm.

The primary school my younger son attended had, his year, three boys who were each capable of an 11+ 'pass' in the opinion of the experienced final year teacher. However, the rules said that only two could. On exam day my son had a cold.
    Result.... 6-7 years later he said that 'couldn't possibly have been 'that good' he'd failed his 11+, hadn't he?
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

The Guardian criticising a Tory government - who'd have thought it?
    If you'd bothered to read it, you'd have noted this ironic footnote: The Scott Trust, the ultimate owner of the Guardian, is the sole investor in GMG Ventures, which is a minority shareholder in Faculty.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    Well said TSE. This is not just a test of Starmer but of Kate Green. New to the job, and so far as I can judge mostly invisible up to now, she needs to cut through on this issue.

I do have one minor quibble though. You compare Gavin Williamson to Frank Spencer. That’s monstrously unfair. Frank Spencer was well meaning and quite funny.
  • Options

'Mornin' all!
    Sounds like 'You can't possibly have achieved an A; your school has never had a pupil with one before.'
    Hmmm.

The primary school my younger son attended had, his year, three boys who were each capable of an 11+ 'pass' in the opinion of the experienced final year teacher. However, the rules said that only two could. On exam day my son had a cold.
    Result.... 6-7 years later he said that 'couldn't possibly have been 'that good' he'd failed his 11+, hadn't he?

One thing that might happen as a result of this is that there is finally a very public debate about the way exams happen and why they are producing such inferior results for the poorest, who arguably stand to benefit the most from getting a good education.

Obviously, there are a number of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with the exams themselves. But if it sparks a debate about class sizes and forces the government to lower them, and leads to an understanding that postcodes should be less important than talent in any system, as horrendous as this is going to be over the next three months at least some good will come of it.
  • Options
    On grades, one important point is, as we discussed a couple of days ago, that universities will almost certainly be lowering their offers in order to fill courses, so before reaching for the whisky and pearl handled revolver, downgraded students should check if they've got into university anyway.

On kremlinology, this row will no doubt fuel #ClassicDom's conviction that only he and his data science cronies truly understand statistics and probability.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

One thing that might happen as a result of this is that there is finally a very public debate about the way exams happen and why they are producing such inferior results for the poorest, who arguably stand to benefit the most from getting a good education.

Obviously, there are a number of reasons, most of which have nothing to do with the exams themselves. But if it sparks a debate about class sizes and forces the government to lower them, and leads to an understanding that postcodes should be less important than talent in any system, as horrendous as this is going to be over the next three months at least some good will come of it.
    We were experimenting, if that's quite the right word, with a more nuanced system were we not, until a Mr Gove, on the advice of his 'assistant, a Mr Cummings, scrapped it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

We were experimenting, if that's quite the right word, with a more nuanced system were we not, until a Mr Gove, on the advice of his 'assistant, a Mr Cummings, scrapped it.
    And took us back to a set of exams designed for when memory was important as the internet didn't exist.

Nowadays I don't want to know what you know what I need to know is how well you can find things out.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The CV19 exam set up has been a debacle from start to finish. Quite how the politicians and bureaucrats decided to screw over a generation of kids is beyond me.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306

There really is only one solution for these boats. We need to eliminate the pull factor. If people wish to seek asylum in the UK, our processing centres should be in Africa and probably India or similar. People would apply there. Easier for genuine seekers of asylum to get there.

I've had a similar idea that over-crowding in British prisons should be solved by building prisons in Africa and shipping the criminals out there.

Would also be a boost to the local economies and so could be done via the the foreign aid budget.
    Vile.
    Rather a racist sentiment CHB?

I've recommended prisons in Sub-sarahan Africa here for ages, great to see others arriving at a similar conclusion. I'd only put violent criminals serving long sentences in them, because there wouldn't be any point shipping someone out for 30 days.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Well said TSE. This is not just a test of Starmer but of Kate Green. New to the job, and so far as I can judge mostly invisible up to now, she needs to cut through on this issue.

I do have one minor quibble though. You compare Gavin Williamson to Frank Spencer. That’s monstrously unfair. Frank Spencer was well meaning and quite funny.

It was either that or ‘Gavin Williamson who fewer than 18 months ago was sacked in disgrace for being an egregious national security risk.’
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The CV19 exam set up has been a debacle from start to finish. Quite how the politicians and bureaucrats decided to screw over a generation of kids is beyond me.

In fairness to OFQUAL - there is some reason to believe they weren’t consulted before the initial shambles was imposed on them.

However, knowing as much as I do about them, I have no doubt that it would have been just as big a disaster if they had been.

And the statistical modelling is entirely their fault.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,708

On grades, one important point is, as we discussed a couple of days ago, that universities will almost certainly be lowering their offers in order to fill courses, so before reaching for the whisky and pearl handled revolver, downgraded students should check if they've got into university anyway.

On kremlinology, this row will no doubt fuel #ClassicDom's conviction that only he and his data science cronies truly understand statistics and probability.

Whether pupils get into their preferred 6th form or university isn`t the issue. I don`t doubt that they will. The problem is that pupils stand to be recognised by grades which are inferior to those they would have got if they had taken the exams and the knock on their self-esteem that this will imply.

My daughter is not acadamic but has worked hard to get what other would regard as mediocre grades. I am concerned that even our modest hopes will be dashed and she ends up with grades lower than she has already evidenced that she is capable of by way of the recent mock exams - just because of some ruddy algorythm.

It is no good saying "she can still take the GCSEs in November". The work involved from a standing start to take these exams now is a non-starter.

We risk denting children`s self-esteem for life. It`s that serious.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

It was either that or ‘Gavin Williamson who fewer than 18 months ago was sacked in disgrace for being an egregious national security risk.’
    Well, that would have been a simple statement of fact.
  • Options
    The A’s for Eton scandal.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

In fairness to OFQUAL - there is some reason to believe they weren’t consulted before the initial shambles was imposed on them.

However, knowing as much as I do about them, I have no doubt that it would have been just as big a disaster if they had been.

This administration does like to prioritise ideology over pragmatic solutions. Like its spiritual leader Cummings it considers itself to be very clever.

Better to remain in the fantasy world and screw over everyone else.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

And took us back to a set of exams designed for when memory was important as the internet didn't exist.

Nowadays I don't want to know what you know what I need to know is how well you can find things out.
    The only reason coursework survived at A-level, in any subject, is that Cambridge University threatened not to recognise A-levels as valid qualifications if it was removed, instead relying on their own exams.

So historical research, geography fieldwork, and even musical composition were only saved by a narrow margin.

How anyone could have thought abandoning coursework entirely was a good idea is beyond me, even with all its possible flaws.
  • Options

There really is only one solution for these boats. We need to eliminate the pull factor. If people wish to seek asylum in the UK, our processing centres should be in Africa and probably India or similar. People would apply there. Easier for genuine seekers of asylum to get there.

I've had a similar idea that over-crowding in British prisons should be solved by building prisons in Africa and shipping the criminals out there.

Would also be a boost to the local economies and so could be done via the the foreign aid budget.
    Vile.

I've recommended prisons in Sub-sarahan Africa here for ages, great to see others arriving at a similar conclusion. I'd only put violent criminals serving long sentences in them, because there wouldn't be any point shipping someone out for 30 days.
    Transportation? Tried that with N America and later Australia and look how that turned out!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624
    ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

Politicians already profess to care about class sizes, its why things are a but stricter for infant class sizes. Everyone wanting lower class sizes isnt the issue, its if they can come up with any solutions. I don't see why exam chaos will force them to come up with one.

I do think this will cut through better than most issues. People are about the children and will easily believe the government could have come up.with something better.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

The only reason coursework survived at A-level, in any subject, is that Cambridge University threatened not to recognise A-levels as valid qualifications if it was removed, instead relying on their own exams.

So historical research, geography fieldwork, and even musical composition were only saved by a narrow margin.

How anyone could have thought abandoning coursework entirely was a good idea is beyond me, even with all its possible flaws.
    These guys see any disagreement or challenge to their ideology as a reaffirmation of their views. If people dislike something, the more right their idea. It’s a cult.

• Options
    edited August 2020
    ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I guess they would say that it is either: 1) their statistical modelling to retain integrity of grades (i.e. a broadly consistent grade-spread to "normal" years) or 2) grades which are inflated in many cases by over optimistic teachers and therefore lack credibility.

My view - controversial I know - is that this issue epitomises the knee-jerk over-reactions to the virus. I don`t think that schools should have been closed at all, or at least kept open for the exam cohorts so that the exams could proceed as planned.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

US National Park Service advice if you get into trouble with a bear: ”Do NOT push down a slower friend (even if you think the friendship has run its course).”

Says nothing about not tripping them...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I guess they would say that it is either: 1) their statistical modelling to retain integrity of grades (i.e. a broadly consistent grade-spread to "normal" years) or 2) grades which are inflated in many cases by over optimistic teachers and therefore lack credibility.

My view - controversial I know - is that this issue epitomises the knee-jerk over-reactions to the virus. I don`t think that schools should have been closed at all, or at least kept open for the exam cohorts so that the exams could proceed as planned.
    I tend to agree - although would note that most countries did the same as the UK.
  • Options

Vile.

Transportation? Tried that with N America and later Australia and look how that turned out!
    Well for them as nations in the long term, not well with native populations?

Even being paid to take them I think many places would baulk at the idea.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

This administration does like to prioritise ideology over pragmatic solutions. Like its spiritual leader Cummings it considers itself to be very clever.

I disagree with that. This administration is not priortising ideology over pragmatic solutions.

Rather, this populist bunch are making policy on the hoof after taking on board the latest brain-farts from their focus groups. This doesn`t come up to the status of ideology by a long chalk. It`s like Blairism for idiots. I wish they were basing things on ideology.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

These guys see any disagreement or challenge to their ideology as a reaffirmation of their views. If people dislike something, the more right their idea. It’s a cult.

Ah, the 'upsets the right people/criticism shows they fear I'm right and will win' approach. Politics is definitely the place for them not education.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    I don't know if giving people predicted grades is much more arbitrary and unfair than grading people based on how much they can memorise and write down in a couple of hours. Especially when some people have paid to be spoon-fed the relevant information in smaller classes with more resources than everyone else.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

Having seen the difference between Fox jr 1 taking AS and A2, and Fox jr 2 taking A levels last year, the former system was clearly better and fairer. No 2 got better marks, and I am glad that he is not part of this debacle.

Why were AS levels messed with? It seemed a perfectly good system to me.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I think at the very least they made the decision too early (and said so at the time). Particularly for A-levels. GCSEs are less important for a number of reasons, not least the fact there is time to deal with them later but there was never any chance that a reasonable substitute could be found for A-levels. Similarly, those subjects where coursework is important, e.g. BTECs, could easily have gone ahead without interruption.

That being said, there were alternatives that would have been far more meaningful than what’s happened now.
  • Options

I don't know if giving people predicted grades is much more arbitrary and unfair than grading people based on how much they can memorise and write down in a couple of hours. Especially when some people have paid to be spoon-fed the relevant information in smaller classes with more resources than everyone else.

Well - you could make that argument in any year. This is not about whether or not to change the system, it is about how to award grades which rank pari passu with previous years by rewarding pupils justly based on what they would have got if they had taken the exams.
  • Options
    USA Dem VP nominee betting

Joe Biden is due to announce his running mate some time this week, so it is likely some people will know his decision before it becomes public. Tread carefully.

It is noticeable that liquidity is down this morning on Betfair as players take their money off the table rather than risk being caught out by those in the know.

For what it is worth, Betfair's current back prices to not much money are:

Kamala Harris: 2.3
    Susan Rice: 3.95
    Gretchen Whitmer: 7.4
    Elizabeth Warren: 21
    Michelle Obama: 21
    Tammy Duckworth: 24
    Val Demings: 24
    Karen Bass: 42
    Keisha Lance Bottoms: 44
    Michelle Lujan Grisham: 90
    Hillary Clinton: 130
    Gina Raimondo: 150
    Stacey Abrams: 200
    Barack Obama: 200
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

Having seen the difference between Fox jr 1 taking AS and A2, and Fox jr 2 taking A levels last year, the former system was clearly better and fairer. No 2 got better marks, and I am glad that he is not part of this debacle.

Because Cummings thought they made exams too easy.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,306
    kle4 said:

Vile.

I don't see why they would. I'm not taking for granted that anyone would want to do it, but it would be jobs, not just prison security jobs but clerical jobs, training, and long term investment. Not unlike a mine, and in many ways more pleasant (and in some ways less).
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Diane Abbot being interviewed on BBC news about migration policy. What's that all about?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    I feel like every government since at least Blair has been accused of caring about headlines more than anything else. Is that really so different?

I don't think that's the reason for cock ups and bad policies.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,848
    kle4 said:

I feel like every government since at least Blair has been accused of caring about headlines more than anything else. Is that really so different?

It's the first time the government has actually been run by people who's only job has been chasing headlines, so yes, it is a little different.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

It's the first time the government has actually been run by people who's only job has been chasing headlines, so yes, it is a little different.
    Like I said earlier, Blairism for idiots.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,050
    Stocky said:

Well - you could make that argument in any year. This is not about whether or not to change the system, it is about how to award grades which rank pari passu with previous years by rewarding pupils justly based on what they would have got if they had taken the exams.
    It's just replacing one arbitrary and unfair system with another. Is it more arbitrary and unfair this year? Probably. But let's not pretend that the normal way of doing things is actually any good.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

How? The jobs politicians have had before they enter politics has always been secondary to their being, well, politicians. I'm to believe if they had not been journalists or political hacks they'd act so differently? Why only with journalism does the prior profession have such a huge impact?

It's sounds like a nonsense theory to me, too simple an explanation for being bad at their jobs.

Other than mere assumption that journalists are uniquely bad at being MPs because of the impact of their former profession, why would that actually be the case? Do you think the non-journalist ones are great?
  • Options
    Anyone who gets marked down to the extent that it costs them their university "place" this year might actually have got a lucky break...
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Anyone who gets marked down to the extent that it costs them their university "place" this year might actually have got a lucky break...

Until they try to get in next year when every university will have eleven applicants for every place.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

The argument I saw was that it made the years 16-18 a treadmill with important exams every year - I don't buy it myself as with those AS results this years results would have a sane starting part.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

How? The jobs politicians have had before they enter politics has always been secondary to their being, well, politicians. I'm to believe if they had not been journalists or political hacks they'd act so differently? Why only with journalism does the prior profession have such a huge impact?

It's sounds like a nonsense theory to me, too simple an explanation for being bad at their jobs.

Other than mere assumption that journalists are uniquely bad at being MPs because of the impact of their former profession, why would that actually be the case? Do you think the non-journalist ones are great?

The point of the article, which is undeniable, is that BoZo chases favourable headlines in preference to actually doing anything, or fixing anything.

Like today, he gets a big headline in the paper saying schools must open, but no preparations have been made by Government to facilitate that.

The fact that the only job he has ever had is chasing favourable headlines would seem to be relevant.
  • Options
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

The argument I saw was that it made the years 16-18 a treadmill with important exams every year - I don't buy it myself as with those AS results this years results would have a sane starting part.
    It is true that it did put a hell of a lot of time pressure on year 12.

And it did mean that students going down the university route would have life defining exams every year from the age of 16 to 21 with the possible exception of the second year of university (depending on course and institution).

But whether what has replaced them is any better is at least questionable. One of the key problems is it has narrowed the spread of subjects students take at post 16, which isn’t ideal. It means less crossover at a high level between sciences, humanities and arts, for example.

And of course, it means that if exams are interrupted (as in this case) we have insufficient data to work on.
  • Options
    Back to betting, has anyone got any tips around US state odds?

I`m thinking Reps are a a bit long at 2.92 to win Wisconsin. Thin market though. Arizona is interesting too.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

The point of the article, which is undeniable, is that BoZo chases favourable headlines in preference to actually doing anything, or fixing anything.

Like today, he gets a big headline in the paper saying schools must open, but no preparations have been made by Government to facilitate that.

The fact that the only job he has ever had is chasing favourable headlines would seem to be relevant.
    I got the point, thanks. I don't disagree that's how he acts, but I don't see that is hugely different from other governments (certainly they have as noted been accused of such) and therefore while it is not irrelevant, I don't think it is as significant as you are suggesting.

I think it is a rather silly idea that his past job is so determinative of his actions. Plenty of politicians chase headlines without having been journalists. And I think focusing on it that way risks people taking the message 'we shouldn't have former journalists as leaders' rather than 'we shouldn't have crap people as leaders'. Your explanation has no explanation why it is, in this one case, that former profession is so impactful. I think it is too trite an explanation, and I don't think it stacks up.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited August 2020
    Georgia's second death peak now looking on course to be larger than their first.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Stocky said:

Back to betting, has anyone got any tips around US state odds?

I`m thinking Reps are a a bit long at 2.92 to win Wisconsin. Thin market though. Arizona is interesting too.

The State markets seem too thin at the moment to be worth dabbling with.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think it is a rather silly idea that his past job is so determinative of his actions. Plenty of politicians chase headlines without having been journalists. And I think focusing on it that way risks people taking the message 'we shouldn't have former journalists as leaders' rather than 'we shouldn't have crap people as leaders'. Your explanation has no explanation why it is, in this one case, that former profession is so impactful. I think it is too trite an explanation, and I don't think it stacks up.

BoZo is the worst PM of my lifetime, and a former journalist.

Gove, who is allegedly the motive force in Government, is a former journalist.

Correlation does not equal causation, but it's a pretty big clue...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    felix said:
    It would have been fine if people had just obeyed the rules, for some reason they can’t or won’t.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

Until they try to get in next year when every university will have eleven applicants for every place.
    I said "might". Not that there's going to be a shortage this year.

The whole situation with schools and universities seems to have been a farce from start to finish. I understand we're in the midst of a deadly pandemic, and i understand that things couldn't automatically continue as normal. But how much can it really be said that

1) the downsides of the actions taken were given much attention at all in focus on the short term measures?
    2) how much, if these downsides were given more than a cursory acknowledgement, has there really been a massive focus on minimising those downsides as much as possible.

All that is happening was entirely predictable, and was predicted, from the time that schools and universities started shutting down. I don't believe it was really impossible for extra focus to be made on exam cohorts (particularly A-Level ones). I don't believe it should have been impossible to put in place widespread structure learning for the couple of months of teaching that were lost in schools, and don't believe it should have been impossible for pupils to sit exams somehow. Probably in a traditional way, taking advantage of the extra space available in unused buildings to allow social distancing. Or even via some online mechanism (as many professional bodies now do routinely - so the expertise to do so exists)

With the possibility of putting in place an additional September/October sitting for those who really were disadvantaged.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

I got the point, thanks. I don't disagree that's how he acts, but I don't see that is hugely different from other governments (certainly they have as noted been accused of such) and therefore while it is not irrelevant, I don't think it is as significant as you are suggesting.

Scott will condemn Boris for doing the same things he cheered Cameron for.

Its all 'my team vs your team' with some people.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

This is why I’m going back to university in September come what may.
  • Options
    I think it is offensive to the journalism profession to really describe Johnson (especially) and Gove as "journalists". They were opinion writers, paid to come up with 5 contradictory opinions a week if necessary with little in the way of background research effort to justify them.

I suspect that Gove was probably more consistent in his opinion writing, Johnson was often just a professional contrarian.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Jonathan said:

ydoethur said:

Jonathan said:

I disagree with that. This administration is not priortising ideology over pragmatic solutions.

Rather, this populist bunch are making policy on the hoof after taking on board the latest brain-farts from their focus groups. This doesn`t come up to the status of ideology by a long chalk. It`s like Blairism for idiots. I wish they were basing things on ideology.
    That's not quite right. In some ways, this government's approach is anti-Blairism. There is no ideology but nor is HMG cynically triangulating like Clinton or early Blair, or following focus groups like Blair or Cameron. Boris and Cummings (who are not always singing from the same hymn sheet) are the key.
  • Options

Cameron didn't denude the party of all talent to shore up his position, and he sacked his SPAD

I condemn BoZo for the things he does.

There is no comparison.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,571
    I see reporter fact checked Trump at his news conference and got cheered by fellow reporters. Trump walked off to the cheers.

Wait for him to use a clip of him being cheered by reporters!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    alex_ said:

ydoethur said:

alex_ said:

I said "might". Not that there's going to be a shortage this year.

The whole situation with schools and universities seems to have been a farce from start to finish. I understand we're in the midst of a deadly pandemic, and i understand that things couldn't automatically continue as normal. But how much can it really be said that

1) the downsides of the actions taken were given much attention at all in focus on the short term measures?
    2) how much, if these downsides were given more than a cursory acknowledgement, has there really been a massive focus on minimising those downsides as much as possible.

All that is happening was entirely predictable, and was predicted, from the time that schools and universities started shutting down. I don't believe it was really impossible for extra focus to be made on exam cohorts (particularly A-Level ones). I don't believe it should have been impossible to put in place widespread structure learning for the couple of months of teaching that were lost in schools, and don't believe it should have been impossible for pupils to sit exams somehow. Probably in a traditional way, taking advantage of the extra space available in unused buildings to allow social distancing. Or even via some online mechanism (as many professional bodies now do routinely - so the expertise to do so exists)

With the possibility of putting in place an additional September/October sitting for those who really were disadvantaged.
    Genuine question - is there another country where lockdown has cut across such important exams? If so, what did they do?
  • Options

On Thursday applicants for university should (if things go as normal) find out if they got in a couple of hours before they know what grades they got asUCAS will let them know directly, while the schools release their grades later that morning. It is fairly common under normal circumstances for students who miss offers by one grade to grade to be allowed in anyway.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

We all remember the time when Cameron lied to HM, shut down parliament illegally and poured fuel over division to force his way. We all remember when Cameron locked down the country whilst his closest advisor did whatever the hell he wanted.

They’re all the same.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

I had 6 A level tutees this year (4 Russian, 2 French). In normal circumstances I would be confident of all 6 getting A/A* due to the traditional beasting I give them in the last two weeks with past papers. This year they all feel like they are getting fucked. They (and their parents) blame the government.

The government are stepping on a landmine here and will soon be carrying a bloody foot around in their hat. If you ever want to raise the venomous and undying enmity of Middle (as opposed to Little) England then fuck around with their kids' A level results.
    You say that they blame the government. Do they agree with me that the exams should have gone ahead?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Cameron didn't denude the party of all talent to shore up his position, and he sacked his SPAD

There is no comparison.
    What talent ? Sajid Javid ?

Now lets compare the 'talent' in Cameron's government - Fox, Grayling, IDS, Lansley, Letwin, Osborne, Warsi.

You condemn Boris because you've chosen a different side just as you cheered Cameron because you chose his side.

So you cheered Cameron for the same things you condemn Boris for.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

I had 6 A level tutees this year (4 Russian, 2 French). In normal circumstances I would be confident of all 6 getting A/A* due to the traditional beasting I give them in the last two weeks with past papers. This year they all feel like they are getting fucked. They (and their parents) blame the government.

The government are stepping on a landmine here and will soon be carrying a bloody foot around in their hat. If you ever want to raise the venomous and undying enmity of Middle (as opposed to Little) England then fuck around with their kids' A level results.
    You say that they blame the government. Do they agree with me that the exams should have gone ahead?
    Yes. They all think a way should have been found to do them.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

“Coursework“ in others subjects, particularly the sciences, had become a bad joke; schools and students were penalised if the teachers refused to cheat.

The work consisted of a set of tests done in school at a time determined by the school where many of the questions were open questions with a very limited set of acceptable answers. The best bit was the students’ teachers were responsible for marking the work and so were sent a copy of the mark scheme at the beginning of the whole process.

In Chemistry at least the mode mark (i.e. the most common) was 100%.

Getting rid of that system was long overdue and it’s replacement (where teachers certify that the students have done the required practical work on a pass/fail basis) is much better. The questions that had been on the tests are now in the actual exams.
  • Options

I will happily cheer BoZo the day he resigns.
  • Options
    DAlexanderDAlexander Posts: 815
    I got predicted the lowest A level grades in my school and ended up with some of the best grades, including going from an N prediction in chemistry to an A and the only maths A in the whole year.

I would have been pretty angry had the teachers got to decide what my grades would be. It's ridiculous.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

Politicians already profess to care about class sizes, its why things are a but stricter for infant class sizes. Everyone wanting lower class sizes isnt the issue, its if they can come up with any solutions. I don't see why exam chaos will force them to come up with one.

I do think this will cut through better than most issues. People are about the children and will easily believe the government could have come up.with something better.
    One thing that makes a big difference is exam practise.

In private schools, year end exams are standard. Even term end exams are not uncommon. Plus tests through the year.

In the run up to GCSE/A level, homework from questions from past papers is standard - every single week.

By the time I sat my A levels, it felt like the 11-millionth exam I had done. All the questions were *variations* on the ones in past papers - I had been put through every question in the previous decade for the subjects I did.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

We all remember the time when Cameron lied to HM, shut down parliament illegally and poured fuel over division to force his way. We all remember when Cameron locked down the country whilst his closest advisor did whatever the hell he wanted.

They’re all the same.
    Why do left wingers have a list of stuff that they perceive their opponents did wrong and reel them off in a fit of outrage whenever anyone argues with them?

Why would Cameron lock the country down before the pandemic even happened? It's complete nonsense.

"poured fuel over division to force his way."

Yeah no politician has ever done that before lolz. Come back Saint Tony all is forgiven.
  • Options

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

In private schools, year end exams are standard. Even term end exams are not uncommon. Plus tests through the year.

In the run up to GCSE/A level, homework from questions from past papers is standard - every single week.

By the time I sat my A levels, it felt like the 11-millionth exam I had done. All the questions were *variations* on the ones in past papers - I had been put through every question in the previous decade for the subjects I did.
    Same in state schools.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

They’re all the same.
    They are all the same.

Its just the opportunities they get, the events that happen, the degree to which they will push things, the skill they have in their mendacity.

Boris is a liar, Cameron was a liar.

I'll tell you what governments do:

They pander to the rich and powerful
    They bribe their supporters to stay loyal
    They neglect essential infrastructure in favour of vanity projects
    They posture about the world at a cost of lives and money
    They fail to do proper preparation or show attention to detail
    They're mendacious and corrupt

The only differences are how good they are at fooling enough of the people enough of the time.

Whether one liar is 5% more dishonest than another liar is merely an academic point.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

I think that the reason that exams were cancelled for all was this -

It was assumed that the schools best able to teach through the epidemic - remote schooling or other - would be the private schools and the leading state schools.

It was further assumed that the probable result would be worse grades overall, with everyone taking some kind of hit. But the bottom end (poorest students) would have been a disaster.

Leading to a university intake which would be the worst for the "diversity" metrics in a generation. Or 2.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,625

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

They’re all the same.
    Why do left wingers have a list of stuff that they perceive their opponents did wrong and reel them off in a fit of outrage whenever anyone argues with them?

Why would Cameron lock the country down before the pandemic even happened? It's complete nonsense.

Yeah no politician has ever done that before lolz. Come back Saint Tony all is forgiven.
    Intriguing that supporting David Cameron is now seen as being left wing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Vile.

Private prisons in the US would love to take your business.....
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

As @ydoethur mentioned above one reason was to reduce the number of years that students have major exams.

Another was the tendency of weaker students treat the AS exams as a trial run and then rely on re-sits to bring them back up to where they should be: this often put them even further behind as they were trying to revise for resits when their peers who had done well first time round could concentrate solely on the new modules.

Some universities, Cambridge in particular, specified that they were only interested in the grades achieved at first attempt, but most didn’t mind.
  • Options

It is, compared to UKIP+ currently in Government...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

felix said:
    It would have been fine if people had just obeyed the rules, for some reason they can’t or won’t.
    I agree but I think the idea that you could realistically expect discos, big weddings, etc to be any other than many have proved to be was never a goer. Additionally the push for a big tourist season - however understandable was just too ambitious. I'd rather have seen something more scaled down while getting the rest of the country back to some sort of work. I now wonder what will happen to schools - they've been closed for so long already that anything other than a return could destroy completely so many children's future. Same in the UK as far as this goes. There is little evidence of pupil/teacher transmission so they really ought to get back.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

'Mornin' all!
    Hmmm.

Same in state schools.
    Sadly not true.

An aquitaine of my wife is from the disadvantaged end of things. Her son wants to become an engineer - via a career in the RAF.

At his school, there was *some* prep for GCSEs, last year. In the science GCSEs he took, there was one mock exam, and a slack handful of past paper questions.

He did past paper questions, every week. Himself. And got a wall of top marks.

The only child in the school to do so.

The gap between what he got at school and what I did (and will happen at my daughters schools) was staggering.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There is no comparison.

Now lets compare the 'talent' in Cameron's government - Fox, Grayling, IDS, Lansley, Letwin, Osborne, Warsi.

You condemn Boris because you've chosen a different side just as you cheered Cameron because you chose his side.

Javid, Hunt, Ellwood, Greg Clark, not to mention the expelled Clarke, Stewart, Hammond, Gauke, Greening would all have been in the top third performers in the current cabinet. No doubt it will be pointed out they are nearly all remainers, but thats the point, if you exclude a large part of the party you end up with less talent.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,336
    kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

That was your take from reading the article ?
    Or did you read it ?

The unlimited detention without trial of thousands of people is not something practised by every government since Blair.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Scott_xP said:

kle4 said:

They’re all the same.

Lol the poster doesn't support Cameron, he's just bashing Boris.

Come on keep up.
  • Options

I got predicted the lowest A level grades in my school and ended up with some of the best grades, including going from an N prediction in chemistry to an A and the only maths A in the whole year.

I would have been pretty angry had the teachers got to decide what my grades would be. It's ridiculous.

I sometimes see that, with someone turning poor mock results into great actual results. But far more often I’ve seen pupils whose excuse for a poor mock grade of “well I didn’t revise for them so I’ll be much better in the real thing” turn out the same results in the summer.

I can’t say why your teachers thought what they did, though sometimes a low prediction in mocks is used as a wake up call to get a student working.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,123
    The problem, as we are going to see in the next couple of weeks in Scotland, is that if you start with this model producing something like the normal pass rates for each school and then allow appeals by all the pupils who have been unfairly downgraded in light of their mocks or coursework then you end up with horrendous grade inflation.

Which in turn causes a problem with University entrance because their model of offers is based upon the expected overall pass rates. So I don't see entrance qualifications coming down this year, if anything they will edge up because the sad truth is that the results these kids will get will have less value than they did in previous years.

This is the price we paid for closing the schools and "protecting" the least vulnerable in our society. Its tough on them and unfair. And frankly we did not think hard enough about it before making the decisions for them.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Scott_xP said:

There is no comparison.

Javid, Hunt, Ellwood, Greg Clark, not to mention the expelled Clarke, Stewart, Hammond, Gauke, Greening would all have been in the top third performers in the current cabinet. No doubt it will be pointed out they are nearly all remainers, but thats the point, if you exclude a large part of the party you end up with less talent.
    And all most of them had to do to stay in the party and their jobs was not to sabotage their Prime Minister on a crucial vote when the government was barely holding on in Parliament and a Marxist was biting at its heels. And yet somehow that was beyond their talent and competence...
  • Options

Vile.

Don't fancy get thumped at cricket by the likes of Gabon in 50 years.
  • Options

I sometimes see that, with someone turning poor mock results into great actual results. But far more often I’ve seen pupils whose excuse for a poor mock grade of “well I didn’t revise for them so I’ll be much better in the real thing” turn out the same results in the summer.

I can’t say why your teachers thought what they did, though sometimes a low prediction in mocks is used as a wake up call to get a student working.
    Well if there is sometimes improvement and sometimes not compared to the mock results, then it's hardly a sound basis for the final A level results.

The reason I did better is that school had finished a few months early and we had a chance to study at home, which is far more effective (for me anyway) than trying to learn anything in school.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

Dura_Ace said:

Stocky said:

I think that the reason that exams were cancelled for all was this -

It was assumed that the schools best able to teach through the epidemic - remote schooling or other - would be the private schools and the leading state schools.

It was further assumed that the probable result would be worse grades overall, with everyone taking some kind of hit. But the bottom end (poorest students) would have been a disaster.

Leading to a university intake which would be the worst for the "diversity" metrics in a generation. Or 2.
    That is a good point. I had finished the course with all my exam groups just before lockdown started and seeing what was probably going to happen had sent them off loaded down with past papers to go through.

Teachers in other schools may well have had significant chunks still to teach and if their pupils did not have easy access to e-learning they may have had little chance of ever covering those last sections of the specification. They would have been at a major disadvantage.
  • Options
    felix said:
    Extraordinary. Surely this is either needed now or not at all. By 18th September all I think we can confidently predict is that things will be very different from where they are today.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There is no comparison.

And all most of them had to do to stay in the party and their jobs was not to sabotage their Prime Minister on a crucial vote when the government was barely holding on in Parliament and a Marxist was biting at its heels. And yet somehow that was beyond their talent and competence...
    A Prime Minister who had only got his job by sabotaging his predecessor on a crucial vote when the government was barely holding on in Parliament and a Marxist was biting at her stiletto heels.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

There is no comparison.

Hunt was offered a cabinet job but declined.

Javid is a loss but given what has happened its been vital that the Downing Street neighbours are closely aligned.

Ken Clarke and others had decided to retire.

So who does that leave ? Ellwood and Greg Clarke. I can't even remember what jobs they've had which shows how little impression they've made one way or another.

In fact how many of your list have had impressive cabinet careers ? Hunt and Ken Clarke. The rest are 6/10 people at best.

As to being Remainers given how the 2017-19 governments were undermined by defections and resignations (and that includes Boris) then I do have some sympathy for wanting to reduce the risk of that happening again.
This discussion has been closed.