Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Spotting the Difference – what really matters to Johnson when

Comments

• Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,603
    rcs1000 said:

LadyG said:

Am I alone in finding the inevitable election of doddery Joe Biden quite infinitely depressing? And only outweighed by the even-worse alternative?

What a time for the USA, the leader of the Free World, to come up with this terrible choice of feckwits.

The West needs a vigorous, liberal leader. A hero. Someone willing to stand up to China and Russia, Instead, we have two old men who can barely speak coherently, who are differentiated only by one being, amazingly, even worse than the other.
    Unfortunately Nick Clegg is barred due to not being a US citizen.
    The whole "Biden is a vegtable" is crap. Check out the man's record over his entire political career - and not just the gaffes, but the achievements.

Also note that, if elected, Biden will be the new President BEST qualified to actually work with Congress and get things done.

Carter, Bush 1, Reagan, Clinton, Bush 2, Obama, Trump: none had a full term as US Senator or equivalent in US House, and two ever served in Congress at all. A HUGE handicap which Uncle Joe will not have. PLUS he's done more good for the US in one month in his time, than Trumpsky would even consider attempting in 100 terms.

Tired of having PBers kick my dog around!
  • Options

The timeline is pretty straightforward:

Monday 16/03/2020 "Everyone should avoid gatherings with friends and family, as well as large gatherings and crowded places, such as pubs, clubs and theatres... work from home if you can" -BJ
    Tuesday 17/03/2020 "We hope to keep deaths below 20,000" - Vallance; "although the measures already announced are extreme, we may need to go further and faster" (BJ) - London empties of commuters (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-51929558)
    Wednesday 18/03/2020 - Gov't announces all schools to close
    Friday 20/03/2020 - Gov't announces restaurants, pubs and gyms to close
    Monday 23/03/2020 - "From this evening I must give the British people a very simple instruction - you must stay at home."

That was the week that was.

We area dealing with fine margins. Unfortunately for all concerned fine margins may have cost lives. But there is a lot of hindsight going on here.

The firm I work made work for home provisions about 10-14 days before the 16th, so the question is why my firm and so many other firms were making WFH pretty much mandatory before the government did?
    Same here. We were WFH from the early days in March.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

I doubt it's that many people...
    Friend of mine's father, this very year, had successful chemotherapy treatment, went into remission, then caught Covid. Recovered after 3 weeks in hospital, was discharged, and died 3 days later of a heart attack! Quite a 2020.
    He really ought not to be a CV 19 death. Though it couldn't have helped.
    Covid-19 appears to cause clotting pretty much anywhere in the body. The heart attack could well be a consequence of the Covid-19 infection.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,264
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Dad just back from the pub. It was absolutely dead; only a couple of people in there.

London Anecdata:

went on the Tube today. Busiest I have seen it since early lockdown. However it was only like a quiet Sunday, so progress is slow. But better than nothing.

An observation: mask usage is now about 95%. It is near universal, and failure to wear a mask gets frowns and scoldings. Also: the people most willing to go without a mask are attractive young women.

True story.

My guess is that this is Darwinian. Attractive young women don't want to give up their mating advantages - look at me, I'm pretty - so they are still determined to look cute and earn admirers.
    Where does this leave Desmond Swayne then?
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    justin124 said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

Scotland also cannot declare independence without the permission of the UK. The position is the same.

Yes it can. How would rUK stop it? They won't just declare UDI. There will be an election. Then a referendum. Then a result. If the Scottish government is elected on a platform of Indyref2 and then Indyref2 votes for Independence what specifically can rUK do to stop it?

There are two Acts of Union - English and Scottish. The Scottish one was passed in the Scottish Parliament. It absolutely can be dissolved in the Scottish Parliament. Are you suggesting the British Army should be deployed to arrest the SNP leadership to prevent that from happening?
    Philosophically that’s an interesting question (I don’t have a view one way or the other).

AIUI the Scottish Parliament decided to dissolve itself and merge with the Westminster Parliament with Scotland sending representatives to sit in the U.K. Parliament

Some years later, the U.K. parliament votes to create a devolved Parliament at Holyrood which has certain prescribed powers with other powers reserved to Westminster.

It does not follow that Holyrood is a recreation of the original Scottish Parliament, but it’s instead a devolved body from Westminster. Hence I don’t think that it can “just dissolve the Union”.

That’s not to saw that Scotland can’t go down UDI route if it wants to, but I don’t think it can claim to be acting within the law if it does
    Any attempt at UDI would probably result in a significant proportion of the Scottish electorate refusing to accept the authority of the Holyrood executive whilst continuing to show loyalty to Westminster. Chaos might well ensue producing conditions where it became reasonable for the UK Government to follow the example of the Heath Government in Spring 1972 when Direct Rule was imposed on Stormont.
    We are used to the odder fringes of the And Unionist Party supporting Direct Rule over the Jock colony, but it is pretty much unheard of in Labour circles. You really are a cracker Justin.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    It isnt. The ONS figures only record cases where Coronavirus is mentioned on the death certificate. That is why the ONS figures are lower.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637
    I see that cases are rising in our patch. Not heard anything about Bradford Council tightening restrictions yet.

Not that it would have much of an impact on me, mind.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    Cases rising in 41 States.
    Meanwhile Trump rambling about water pressure in showers.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

I doubt it's that many people...
    Friend of mine's father, this very year, had successful chemotherapy treatment, went into remission, then caught Covid. Recovered after 3 weeks in hospital, was discharged, and died 3 days later of a heart attack! Quite a 2020.
    He really ought not to be a CV 19 death. Though it couldn't have helped.
    As Robert says, it's all about excess deaths.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

The government claimed that Julian Lewis lied to the Chief Whip.

If that is not true, and he was expelled merely for the defying the government with regards to a non-governmental (and in theory independent) role, then that is an extraordinary step - a degree of control-freakery that Blair and Mandelson at their peak did not aspire to.

Lewis has denied it, saying he never made a commitment to support Grayling. Note that isn’t quite what he has been accused of

My guess is he misled the chief whip without *quite* lying to his face
    Though any politician- let alone the current tenant of No 10- ought to be very careful before making misleading without actually lying a hanging offence.
    I think Charles is overexerting himself in defence of hierarchy.
    One can stretch a guiding principle too far....
    I don’t like duplicitous snakes. Simple as that.
    Unless they’re in charge ?
    Nope. There are few politicians I like, and certainly not the current bunch of reprobates.
    Understood. You don’t like, but will defend, the duplicitous snakes in charge.

You mistake explanation and defence

The government shouldn’t have tried to intervene in the election.

Lewis behaved like a duplicitous little shit. I understand why they sacked him in the interest of party discipline.
    So duplicitous shits are OK provided they are in government?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Carnyx said:

Charles said:

FPT

RobD said:

Scotland also cannot declare independence without the permission of the UK. The position is the same.

Yes it can. How would rUK stop it? They won't just declare UDI. There will be an election. Then a referendum. Then a result. If the Scottish government is elected on a platform of Indyref2 and then Indyref2 votes for Independence what specifically can rUK do to stop it?

There are two Acts of Union - English and Scottish. The Scottish one was passed in the Scottish Parliament. It absolutely can be dissolved in the Scottish Parliament. Are you suggesting the British Army should be deployed to arrest the SNP leadership to prevent that from happening?
    Philosophically that’s an interesting question (I don’t have a view one way or the other).

AIUI the Scottish Parliament decided to dissolve itself and merge with the Westminster Parliament with Scotland sending representatives to sit in the U.K. Parliament

Some years later, the U.K. parliament votes to create a devolved Parliament at Holyrood which has certain prescribed powers with other powers reserved to Westminster.

It does not follow that Holyrood is a recreation of the original Scottish Parliament, but it’s instead a devolved body from Westminster. Hence I don’t think that it can “just dissolve the Union”.

That’s not to saw that Scotland can’t go down UDI route if it wants to, but I don’t think it can claim to be acting within the law if it does
    The very first business in 1997 was to declare the Holyrood Parliament the continuation of that suspended in 1707. As Winnie Ewing formally declared, ‘The Scottish Parliament, which adjourned on March 25 1707, is hereby reconvened.’
    But was that authorised by statute or not?
    Scots constitutional law is founded on the principal of popular sovereignty. Parliamentary sovereignty is an English concept.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

went on the Tube today. Busiest I have seen it since early lockdown. However it was only like a quiet Sunday, so progress is slow. But better than nothing.

An observation: mask usage is now about 95%. It is near universal, and failure to wear a mask gets frowns and scoldings. Also: the people most willing to go without a mask are attractive young women.

True story.

My guess is that this is Darwinian. Attractive young women don't want to give up their mating advantages - look at me, I'm pretty - so they are still determined to look cute and earn admirers.

Different London Anecdata - Barking Road and East Ham High Street, Thursday lunchtime.

Wetherspoons open but almost deserted, Denmark Arms closed.

Argos has re-opened and a small queue but main queues continue to be at banks and building societies. Earlier queues at Primark and shoe shops now gone - the odd shop (beauty salon) still closed. Also a queue at McDonald's but quieter than normal.

People out and about but not going into shops - mask wearing 10% tops. Saw a few buses in the Barking Road - mask wearing 75% on board. Interesting to note most passengers take off mask as soon as off the bus.

MY view is retail got a small boost with re-opening at the beginning of the month but that has faded.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

It’s not big pharma that’s growing rich on the back of the pandemic...

https://twitter.com/fmanjoo/status/1283801640881930242

I suspect BUPA, AVIVA, etc are trousering the cash here too. There has been effectively no private medicine in Q2 this year.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,360

dr_spyn said:
    Such an unhelpful comment. It's like someone being sacked by Neil Kinnock and saying they will loyally defend Michael Foot's manifesto.
    He really is an odious individual. His rants make one want to retch. (treat yourself to his GE rant)
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I suspect BUPA, AVIVA, etc are trousering the cash here too. There has been effectively no private medicine in Q2 this year.
    Most other insurance companies too probably. I can imagine that car insurance companies have made a fortune this year since nobody is driving anywhere.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Is there an argument for a one-off profit "grab" from Rishi? After all, the magic money tree needs all the help it can get.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

I’m a Trump opponent who cannot see past a Trump victory.

But...

Trump hasn’t led an FL poll since 12 March.

That’s quite something.

What are the views of the PB Trumptons? @MrEd @HYUFD @Luckyguy1983 @Ave_it

?

I'm no fan of Trump but assuming the result of an election in November from polls in July seems to be foolish.

Back in 1988 Dukakis led George W Bush at this time but was comfortably beaten 54-46 on polling day.

In 2016 the polls were more volatile and indeed let's not forget Clinton won the popular vote 48-46 but the votes weren't where she needed them.

The other concern (and this is why I try to check the crosstabs) is the polls are oversampling pro-Democratic groups and undersampling pro-Republican groups. Now, I suspect after what happened last time the polling organisations have tightened their sampling and methodology but there's a worry "shy Trump" votes aren't showing up and the headlines are artificially strong for Biden.

We've also got the issue of vote distribution - if all Biden is doing is piling up votes in the North East and West Trump still has a chance - that's why I look at the Midwest and South numbers on the national polls and of course State polls may be more informative.

There are really only ten states at most which matter - Biden won't win Oklahoma and Trump won't win Delaware. The "swing" states have big EC numbers especially Florida but also Pennsylvania. Just by gaining those Biden converts a 306-232 electoral college deficit to a 281-257 lead. In short, Trump needs to hold almost everything he won last time while Biden will win comfortably with three or four of the right pick ups.

Add Michigan, Wisconsin and Arizona and Biden wins 318-220.
    If Biden does win Florida, then it's very hard to see how Trump remains President. That being said... let's not forget than in 2018, Florida returned a Republican Governor and a Republican Senator. The state shows no signs of being (even semi-reliably) Blue.
    Miami & South Florida current epicenter of Covid in USA.

Also, note the electoral power of Sunshine State's disproportionate number of geezers - a group that was one of Trumpsky's best in 2016, but which is heavily impacted by the Crud, and which polling shows is becoming seriously disaffected from our Fearless Leader.
    Yes. If Trumpski loses, it will be because he failed the oldies re CV-19.
    The most remarkable thing about the "White Power" video that Trump shared was that it was happening inside The Villages.

They should be a uniform bastion of Trumpism.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Most other insurance companies too probably. I can imagine that car insurance companies have made a fortune this year since nobody is driving anywhere.
    Made losses on travel insurance I expect though.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,688

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed. We got an unsolicited rebate from our car insurers some friends have too. Nice of them to do that but I suspect if they rebate each policyholder £50 they have been saving a lot more than that.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229
    stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Different London Anecdata - Barking Road and East Ham High Street, Thursday lunchtime.

Argos has re-opened and a small queue but main queues continue to be at banks and building societies. Earlier queues at Primark and shoe shops now gone - the odd shop (beauty salon) still closed. Also a queue at McDonald's but quieter than normal.

People out and about but not going into shops - mask wearing 10% tops. Saw a few buses in the Barking Road - mask wearing 75% on board. Interesting to note most passengers take off mask as soon as off the bus.

MY view is retail got a small boost with re-opening at the beginning of the month but that has faded.
    Sunday at the Inn at Whitewall, absolutely choc-a-bloc. Clitheroe on Monday like a ghost town. Market day in Clitheroe on Tuesday, streets busy, market busy but shops empty.

Motorway home on Tuesday busy from Lancashire to the Severn Bridge. Wales quiet. Motorway to Worcester, for work today, very busy. People are out and about but economic activity very patchy.
  • Options
    And these dorks are in charge of Johnson’s weapons of mass destruction:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/ferry-heading-scotland-near-miss-22363303.amp
  • Options
    stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Ah the Denmark Arms. Used to drink there when I lived in Manor Park.
    Happy Spoons free days!
  • Options
    LadyG said:

I've looked at it. And it SEEMS to be true. Caveat Emptor

But if is true, we may have unjustifiably scared ourselves into a Great Depression
    But it is not true for the ONS death statistics which use what the death certificate says.

So you can relax.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,658
    rcs1000 said:

Nigelb said:

On the other hand, US hospitals aren't doing profitable elective surgeries and are haemorrhaging cash.
    Indeed.
    The system isn’t really designed to deal with public health emergencies.
  • Options
    stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Its a bit hard to judge here, what with the confusing lockdown. I saw a pub open in Oadby, within the lockdown area but only a few customers.
  • Options
    stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Queues at banks and building societies? Sounds worrying. That’s a classic sign of panic. If it’s withdrawals they’re doing?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Ours has given us a refund.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489
    Am I a terrible human being that I laughed at the 'pier (sic) pressure' comment?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

LadyG said:

But if is true, we may have unjustifiably scared ourselves into a Great Depression
    But it is not true for the ONS death statistics which use what the death certificate says.

So you can relax.
    Surely the only worthy metric for Covid mortality is extrapolation from excess death figures, and even then caveats are very much required.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,329

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

Dad just back from the pub. It was absolutely dead; only a couple of people in there.

London Anecdata:

True story.

Where does this leave Desmond Swayne then?
    Desmond Swine?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Ours has given us a refund.
    Nice for you. Mine hasn't.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Indeed. We got an unsolicited rebate from our car insurers some friends have too. Nice of them to do that but I suspect if they rebate each policyholder £50 they have been saving a lot more than that.
    You've been had, we got 75 quid.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Happy Spoons free days!

The Denmark Arms went downhill after the Hammers moved to Stratford. It had been one of the pubs for those walking from Barking to Upton Park and back after the match.

It closed and was empty for a couple of years and was taken over by Antic late in 2018 and re-furbished. Mrs Stodge and I went for Sunday lunch a couple of times and very good it was too but it's completely closed and has been since mid March.

According to the website, it wasn't in the first tranche of Antic pubs to re-open so it may be a while...

• Options
    Ah yes, those lovely Rangers Unionists. Cuddly bunch.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Rather depends on how much you paid in the first place I guess?
  • Options
    LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

I haven't been on a Tube since February 28th! And a train or bus of any description since March 12th! But I did manage to do Aberdeen to Inverness on March 6th, thankfully.

#withdrawal
  • Options

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Mine hasnt , but then I guess since i am only paying £200 a yr fully comp or thereabouts, it a bit churlish to ask for a refund.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,489

LadyG said:

tlg86 said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

I haven't been on a Tube since February 28th! And a train or bus of any description since March 12th! But I did manage to do Aberdeen to Inverness on March 6th, thankfully.

#withdrawal
    LNER are doing some rail themed facemasks, to help with your withdrawal.

https://www.personalisedfacemask.com/product-category/lner/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215

A lovely unbiased thread on Boris by Cyclefree. Not unsurprising , but at least we know where Cyclefree is coming from, if of course there was any doubt.
    I don't like Boris myself, but we are less than a year(in fact only 7 months into his Premiership). I think he needs time, after all he has still not recovered from Covid19.
    One can Imagine Cyclefree lauding Blair in a thread such as this in Dec 1997.. 7 months into his Premiership, only to find out later he was absolutely appalling as PM(given that he was effective, if appalling).

I have set out the facts leading to my conclusion. If you have other facts to put forward, feel free.

Boris has been PM for a year. Regardless of the size of his majority, there are continuities in the way that he behaves and in his contempt for Parliament and democratic norms, even if it upsets his fans on here that these are pointed out.

I always thought Blair was a narcissistic weasel, though an effective operator.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

I paid 200 last year and 185 at renewal. No refunds.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Happy Spoons free days!
    Am heading out to grocery store shortly, expect there will be plenty of people there 99% masked. On street about 50%; typically I have mine on if there are other people nearby, otherwise pull it down & breath easy.

Last Tuesday took bus to downtown Seattle, beyond & back. Downtown was semi-ghost town, rest of city subdued but more traffic & activity than a month or so ago.

Big local news today: due to rising number of Covid infections in King County, local school districts will NOT be teaching kids in schools, even on part-time basis.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,215
    Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

Nigelb said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

You mistake explanation and defence

The government shouldn’t have tried to intervene in the election.

Lewis behaved like a duplicitous little shit.
    How do you know?
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    stodge said:

dixiedean said:

Happy Spoons free days!

The Denmark Arms went downhill after the Hammers moved to Stratford. It had been one of the pubs for those walking from Barking to Upton Park and back after the match.

It closed and was empty for a couple of years and was taken over by Antic late in 2018 and re-furbished. Mrs Stodge and I went for Sunday lunch a couple of times and very good it was too but it's completely closed and has been since mid March.

According to the website, it wasn't in the first tranche of Antic pubs to re-open so it may be a while...

Mmm. Used to do decent beer, and a refreshing lack of London ponce in the early 90's. Important for a Northerner.
    Also used to do lunchtime second hand music sales. Bought plenty of records.
    Was always dark...
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Am I a terrible human being that I laughed at the 'pier (sic) pressure' comment?
    Reminds me that I once failed miserably with a Trivial Pursuit (remember that?) question that I heard as "Which famous pier disappeared in 1974?"

After much struggling over various possibilities I settled on 'Morecambe West End' :disappointed:
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Mmm. Used to do decent beer, and a refreshing lack of London ponce in the early 90's. Important for a Northerner.
    Also used to do lunchtime second hand music sales. Bought plenty of records.

Yes, they were still doing sales of the vinyl until just before the owners called it a day.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Cyclefree said:

A lovely unbiased thread on Boris by Cyclefree. Not unsurprising , but at least we know where Cyclefree is coming from, if of course there was any doubt.
    I don't like Boris myself, but we are less than a year(in fact only 7 months into his Premiership). I think he needs time, after all he has still not recovered from Covid19.
    One can Imagine Cyclefree lauding Blair in a thread such as this in Dec 1997.. 7 months into his Premiership, only to find out later he was absolutely appalling as PM(given that he was effective, if appalling).

I have set out the facts leading to my conclusion. If you have other facts to put forward, feel free.

Boris has been PM for a year. Regardless of the size of his majority, there are continuities in the way that he behaves and in his contempt for Parliament and democratic norms, even if it upsets his fans on here that these are pointed out.

but the point I am making was that Blair proved to be terrible, but i doubt for a second you would have written such a thread about Blair 7 months into his leadership. You would have most likely been swept up in the love in like so many others were.

Boris has only been PM unfettered for 7 months or so, for the greater part he has been ill. I don't like Boris, but its far too early to make a call on his Premiership. I think you are far too judgemental at such an early stage. You may end up totally correct, but its too early to start frothing about how much you will enjoy his demise.. in fact its very unhealthy, the sort of thing the hard left regularly speak about including wishing him dead (cf Miriam Margoyles)
  • Options
    Fantastic to see Lloyd R-M leaving the SC.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,957
    Cyclefree said:

Boris lost me at Jenrick.

A slimy good for nothing with his nose in the trough, shades of a less funny Alan B'stard.

As housing minister he's been rubbish on leasehold reform and the cladding scandal and the fact he is a landlord to boot makes me think he's not fit for purpose.

I'm a lifelong Conservative voter. But I can already feel it will be hard for me to put my X in the box for them next time round.

I don't fear Starmer the way I feared Corbyn and we're moving to a tax and spend social democracy as a result of Covid anyway. So why bother?

Boris' failure to sack Jenrick looks like weakness to me. He should be ruthless to people who underperform in their roles. I can only assume Boris doesn't think he's underperforming. In which case he has lost my vote.
  • Options

stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Sunday at the Inn at Whitewall, absolutely choc-a-bloc. Clitheroe on Monday like a ghost town. Market day in Clitheroe on Tuesday, streets busy, market busy but shops empty.

Motorway home on Tuesday busy from Lancashire to the Severn Bridge. Wales quiet. Motorway to Worcester, for work today, very busy. People are out and about but economic activity very patchy.
    I had planned to do the Clitheroe to Hellifield (Sunday-only) train for some time this year, but that was before Covid.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Fantastic to see Lloyd R-M leaving the SC.

He was never in the Shadow Cabinet!
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Cyclefree said:

but the point I am making was that Blair proved to be terrible, but i doubt for a second you would have written such a thread about Blair 7 months into his leadership. You would have most likely been swept up in the love in like so many others were.

Boris has only been PM unfettered for 7 months or so, for the greater part he has been ill. I don't like Boris, but its far too early to make a call on his Premiership. I think you are far too judgemental at such an early stage. You may end up totally correct, but its too early to start frothing about how much you will enjoy his demise.. in fact its very unhealthy, the sort of thing the hard left regularly speak about including wishing him dead (cf Miriam Margoyles)
    Good grief! Compare for a moment the relative calm and prosperity of Blair's years as PM with the shambolic disaster and decline of the past 5 years of unfettered Conservative rule (I struggle to call it 'government').

Blair would be a 100 times better leading the country in this current crisis than the buffoon who is currently in No 10.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,779

Cyclefree said:

On what basis was Blair terrible? It was a period where the country was happier, more together and noticeable achievements in developing sustained peace in NI and big improvements in healthcare and education. People have short memories.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,637

stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

I had planned to do the Clitheroe to Hellifield (Sunday-only) train for some time this year, but that was before Covid.
    There are quite a few Excursion Trains go that way too. You could do it behind a kettle.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,161
    Some autumn of your life inspiration for Dura Ace.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1283868658570338304?s=20
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Good grief! Compare for a moment the relative calm and prosperity of Blair's years as PM with the shambolic disaster and decline of the past 5 years of unfettered Conservative rule (I struggle to call it 'government').

Blair would be a 100 times better leading the country in this current crisis than the buffoon who is currently in No 10.
    What calm and prosperity under Blair?

Blair's government was overspending from 2002 onwards leading to the biggest structural deficit this country had ever faced postwar which it took a decade of austerity to fix.
  • Options

stodge said:

LadyG said:

London Anecdata:

True story.

Very quiet on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays by the look of it. It was raining that awful North West drizel, which would have kept me under cover.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Cyclefree said:

Blair's government was overspending from 2002 onwards leading to the biggest structural deficit this country had ever faced postwar which it took a decade of austerity to fix.
    Infinity preferable to this useless shower.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,758
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

If that is not true, and he was expelled merely for the defying the government with regards to a non-governmental (and in theory independent) role, then that is an extraordinary step - a degree of control-freakery that Blair and Mandelson at their peak did not aspire to.

If the Chief Whip is not alert to such nuances he's not up to the job.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The decade of austerity only prolonged the effects of the global financial crisis.

As we now see, there was always another way.
  • Options
    edited July 2020

Cyclefree said:

I don't agree with the main thrust of your argument anyway, but please ponder your last two statements. You might find it somewhat ironic today.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Foxy said:

It isnt. The ONS figures only record cases where Coronavirus is mentioned on the death certificate. That is why the ONS figures are lower.
    I was going to stay away from here for a while (it's frankly no good for my blood pressure) but I was so astonished by the level of incompetence suggested by that PHE story that I decided to see if anyone might have anything more to add on the matter.

Your remark doesn't directly address the veracity of the PHE figures but talks up that of the ONS figures, which suggests in turn that the accusation levelled at PHE (by a very reputable source) is not contested, at least not by your good self. I am unsurprised. The PHE numbers have been wildly out of whack with the NHS England hospital death stats for some time (implying that an improbably high proportion of Covid deaths were taking place in non-hospital settings,) and I'd previously thought this was something to do with PHE being very poor at keeping their figures up-to-date and reporting a lot of historical cases dating back months to the peak period. It now appears that this is not quite the truth, that many and perhaps most of the Covid deaths that they are reporting are essentially fictitious, and that PHE's statistics may therefore be thrown in the dustbin.

Right, next question: out of all the deaths attributed to Covid on death certificates (the ONS reporting criterion,) how many of those patients died of Covid (cause unambiguous and disease confirmed by lab test,) with Covid (virus confirmed by lab test, doctor's best guess that it might be a cause of death,) or with suspected Covid (doctor's best guess and virus not confirmed by lab test either?) Do we trust that 100% of those people who have died with Covid listed as a cause of death actually died as a result of Covid, or is it really a smaller number - like 80%, or perhaps only 50%?

After all, the medical profession were telling us that the dreaded masks were worse than useless outside of clinical settings only a few months ago, yet look where we are now. If they've been guessing about something as basic as that, then how often have they also been guessing in cases where little old ladies have died peacefully at home, and tearful relatives have mentioned in passing to the GP or ambulance crew that Mum had a cough for a couple of days before she joined the choir celestial?

Incidents like the mask fiasco (the volte face over which looks suspiciously like either incompetence, or the product of deliberate lying over fears of a run on PPE supplies earlier in the year,) and apparently fictitious statistics issued by important state quangos, does not paint the high command of this society in a particularly flattering light. It's not just Government ministers: our Rolls Royce civil service appears to resemble more closely a rusty Trabant.

I would say that the public inquiry can't come soon enough, but for the fact that it will probably take so long that almost everybody responsible for cocking this whole situation up will be demented or dead by the time it reports back.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,493

Cyclefree said:

OK- at what point does it become reasonable to say that the Johnson approach to government isn't acceptable? Not necessarily whether he is an effective Prime Minister who is improving the country he leads, but is the way that he treats people a reasonable way for a leading citizen to behave?

To be clear, I'm not asking for a government of Franciscan friars. But everyone who has done real politics knows that there are lines that you don't cross. Roughly, the difference between trying to tell the truth and going out of your way to tell the whole truth. And most politicians and parties self-police their position on the right side of the line.

The Johnson-Cummings-Gove worldview is much more that the line is for wusses, and if there's no external enforcement mechanism, there's no rule. The moment I went from disappointed to furious about Johnson PM was after the prorogation judgement by the Supreme Court. That was a massive, scandalous failure of political judgement. It should have been career ending for whoever tried it on. And nothing happened.

So- if it's currently too early to judge Johnson's personal suitability to be Prime Minister, when are we allowed to judge him?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Did you live through the New Labour Years? Save for the disgraceful fiasco that was Iraq, the country was far more tolerant and content with it's place in the world than it is now.

For Blair's manifold faults we did not have a Prime Minister who made us look like an international joke.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450

Cyclefree said:

Did you live through the New Labour Years? Save for the disgraceful fiasco that was Iraq, the country was far more tolerant and content with it's place in the world than it is now.

For Blair's manifold faults we did not have a Prime Minister who made us look like an international joke.
    This is the worst government the country has ever had and I say that as someone who voted Tory in 2019.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,016
    Sorry catching up on the threads after watching cooking shows on cable and drinking lovely oaked Chilean Chardonnay.

There appears to be an accusation from Professor Carl Heneghan (Oxon) that anyone who has ever had COVID then subsequently died is counted as a COVID death, regardless of whether or not COVID was responsible for their death.

Is this actually the case?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,700
    dr_spyn said:
    What's the connection between the right-wing media and the Labour Party? Doesn't make sense.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,493

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

If the Chief Whip is not alert to such nuances he's not up to the job.
    That's the trouble with packing your cabinet with pliable minions. They might turn out not to be very good at their jobs.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited July 2020

Sorry catching up on the threads after watching cooking shows on cable and drinking lovely oaked Chilean Chardonnay.

There appears to be an accusation from Professor Carl Heneghan (Oxon) that anyone who has ever had COVID then subsequently died is counted as a COVID death, regardless of whether or not COVID was responsible for their death.

The accusation (which is levelled specifically against the daily death stats issued by Public Health England) takes the form of a relatively brief post published today on the CEBM website, but the explanation offered looks convincing enough. We shall see if an equally convincing rebuttal is forthcoming, but in the absence of one I tend towards believing the professor. After all, the state (and PHE is a quango, of course,) hasn't exactly covered itself in glory over all of this.
  • Options
    Stuart

Yes, he is. A very odd arch unionist, social conservative who thinks sex before marriage is a sin. Not entirely sure what he’s doing in the Labour Party but, as I said earlier, self-proclaimed ‘leftwingers’ who are in fact highly authoritarian are over-represented on PB. They are not actually leftwing in my view, but self-identify as such. Funny old world.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    edited July 2020

Cyclefree said:

To be fair to Blair he spent less in his first term as a percentage of gdp than any PM since 1964 bar Thatcher in her final term, even if Brown pushed higher spending later on. The top rate of income tax under Blair was also lower than under Cameron or May and was also lower than it is now under Boris.

In economic terms Blair was arguably the most rightwing PM we have had since WW2 after Thatcher, even if he was socially liberal and he was also a relative foreign policy hawk too
  • Options

Foxy said:

I was going to stay away from here for a while (it's frankly no good for my blood pressure) but I was so astonished by the level of incompetence suggested by that PHE story that I decided to see if anyone might have anything more to add on the matter.

Your remark doesn't directly address the veracity of the PHE figures but talks up that of the ONS figures, which suggests in turn that the accusation levelled at PHE (by a very reputable source) is not contested, at least not by your good self. I am unsurprised. The PHE numbers have been wildly out of whack with the NHS England hospital death stats for some time (implying that an improbably high proportion of Covid deaths were taking place in non-hospital settings,) and I'd previously thought this was something to do with PHE being very poor at keeping their figures up-to-date and reporting a lot of historical cases dating back months to the peak period. It now appears that this is not quite the truth, that many and perhaps most of the Covid deaths that they are reporting are essentially fictitious, and that PHE's statistics may therefore be thrown in the dustbin.

Right, next question: out of all the deaths attributed to Covid on death certificates (the ONS reporting criterion,) how many of those patients died of Covid (cause unambiguous and disease confirmed by lab test,) with Covid (virus confirmed by lab test, doctor's best guess that it might be a cause of death,) or with suspected Covid (doctor's best guess and virus not confirmed by lab test either?) Do we trust that 100% of those people who have died with Covid listed as a cause of death actually died as a result of Covid, or is it really a smaller number - like 80%, or perhaps only 50%?

After all, the medical profession were telling us that the dreaded masks were worse than useless outside of clinical settings only a few months ago, yet look where we are now. If they've been guessing about something as basic as that, then how often have they also been guessing in cases where little old ladies have died peacefully at home, and tearful relatives have mentioned in passing to the GP or ambulance crew that Mum had a cough for a couple of days before she joined the choir celestial?

Incidents like the mask fiasco (the volte face over which looks suspiciously like either incompetence, or the product of deliberate lying over fears of a run on PPE supplies earlier in the year,) and apparently fictitious statistics issued by important state quangos, does not paint the high command of this society in a particularly flattering light. It's not just Government ministers: our Rolls Royce civil service appears to resemble more closely a rusty Trabant.

I would say that the public inquiry can't come soon enough, but for the fact that it will probably take so long that almost everybody responsible for cocking this whole situation up will be demented or dead by the time it reports back.
    I think you expect far too much unanimity of my profession. Throughout this condition there have been medical advocates of masks, and sceptics. The difference is who has the ear of the politicians, and the effect of peer pressure.

Similarly different doctors will vary in how they write death certificates. Some will omit Covid 19 unless a test has been done, others will list it as a contributory factor if there is clinical disease that makes for probable disease in the absence of testing. Each country has its own idiosyncrasies too.

This is why "excess deaths" is probably the most accurate figure for comparison, but the other figures remain useful for discerning trends.

Medicine is not engineering, it involves both the ghost and the machine, and also the ghost and machine of the doctor. Acting on probability, balance of evidence and risks can never be as precise as you wish, nor as unanimous.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited July 2020

Some autumn of your life inspiration for Dura Ace.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1283868658570338304?s=20

Well, his plane may not have worked great but I bet it was delivered as on time and on budget as a British defence contractor at least.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    rcs1000 said:

stodge said:

I’m a Trump opponent who cannot see past a Trump victory.

But...

Trump hasn’t led an FL poll since 12 March.

That’s quite something.

What are the views of the PB Trumptons? @MrEd @HYUFD @Luckyguy1983 @Ave_it

?

I'm no fan of Trump but assuming the result of an election in November from polls in July seems to be foolish.

Back in 1988 Dukakis led George W Bush at this time but was comfortably beaten 54-46 on polling day.

In 2016 the polls were more volatile and indeed let's not forget Clinton won the popular vote 48-46 but the votes weren't where she needed them.

The other concern (and this is why I try to check the crosstabs) is the polls are oversampling pro-Democratic groups and undersampling pro-Republican groups. Now, I suspect after what happened last time the polling organisations have tightened their sampling and methodology but there's a worry "shy Trump" votes aren't showing up and the headlines are artificially strong for Biden.

We've also got the issue of vote distribution - if all Biden is doing is piling up votes in the North East and West Trump still has a chance - that's why I look at the Midwest and South numbers on the national polls and of course State polls may be more informative.

There are really only ten states at most which matter - Biden won't win Oklahoma and Trump won't win Delaware. The "swing" states have big EC numbers especially Florida but also Pennsylvania. Just by gaining those Biden converts a 306-232 electoral college deficit to a 281-257 lead. In short, Trump needs to hold almost everything he won last time while Biden will win comfortably with three or four of the right pick ups.

Add Michigan, Wisconsin and Arizona and Biden wins 318-220.
    If Biden does win Florida, then it's very hard to see how Trump remains President. That being said... let's not forget than in 2018, Florida returned a Republican Governor and a Republican Senator. The state shows no signs of being (even semi-reliably) Blue.
    The disastrous handling of the pandemic by Trump and De Santis is killing the GOP in Florida right now but it could look very different by November.
  • Options
    LadyG said:

Peter Hitchens may have been right all along.
  • Options

Stuart

Yes, he is. A very odd arch unionist, social conservative who thinks sex before marriage is a sin. Not entirely sure what he’s doing in the Labour Party but, as I said earlier, self-proclaimed ‘leftwingers’ who are in fact highly authoritarian are over-represented on PB. They are not actually leftwing in my view, but self-identify as such. Funny old world.

If you are leftwing that means you believe the state should control most of the economy, there is no contradiction between that and also believing in authoritarian social values too
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    edited July 2020
    Andy_JS said:

LadyG said:

Peter Hitchens may have been right all along.
    No, as someone else upthread said.. excess deaths is the stat worth looking at.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,010

Alistair said:

Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Mine hasnt , but then I guess since i am only paying £200 a yr fully comp or thereabouts, it a bit churlish to ask for a refund.
    In the US, you wouldn't get minimum liability (i.e. $30k of third party exposure only) for less than about $500/year.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Stuart

For your information I have not been in the Labour Party since 1996 - nor did I vote for it in 2019.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

Cyclefree said:

Boris lost me at Jenrick.

A slimy good for nothing with his nose in the trough, shades of a less funny Alan B'stard.

As housing minister he's been rubbish on leasehold reform and the cladding scandal and the fact he is a landlord to boot makes me think he's not fit for purpose.

I'm a lifelong Conservative voter. But I can already feel it will be hard for me to put my X in the box for them next time round.

I don't fear Starmer the way I feared Corbyn and we're moving to a tax and spend social democracy as a result of Covid anyway. So why bother?

Boris' failure to sack Jenrick looks like weakness to me. He should be ruthless to people who underperform in their roles. I can only assume Boris doesn't think he's underperforming. In which case he has lost my vote.
    Well, yes.

Those that are (personally) loyal to Boris stay, whatever their other failures.

While those who snub him in some way, whatever their other abilities, are sidelined or expelled from the party.

It's ruthless. But I'm not sure it's good for parliamentary democracy.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

The decade of austerity only prolonged the effects of the global financial crisis.

As we now see, there was always another way.
    A global pandemic? You think we should have had one earlier to cull the weak and the old?

Well, it's a view.
  • Options
    flizzyflizzy Posts: 11

The accusation (which is levelled specifically against the daily death stats issued by Public Health England) takes the form of a relatively brief post published today on the CEBM website, but the explanation offered looks convincing enough. We shall see if an equally convincing rebuttal is forthcoming, but in the absence of one I tend towards believing the professor. After all, the state (and PHE is a quango, of course,) hasn't exactly covered itself in glory over all of this.
    I can easily believe that that is the case, but I don't know how much difference it is making. At the beginning it would have made no difference but the difference will grow as time goes on.

The CEBM article implies there have been 300,000 people with positive tests so far. That means, that if someone got knocked down by a bus, there's about a 1 in 200 chance they've tested positive for corona virus. And that's assuming that those events are independent - I imagine that those who have tested positive skew older and are less likely to be running around in front of buses. Unfortunately, I have no idea how many 'accidental' (i.e. not health or age related) deaths there are normally in the UK, and hence how much 1/200th of that is adding to the death toll.

The CEBM article also refers to old people who've had corona virus, recovered, and then died. But what are the chances someone who catches corona virus and is in good enough health to recover from it but bad enough health to die within a few months? Not being a medical person, I've no idea, but again, the sniff test to me says not many. But it will only grow more likely, as the time between recovery and death will increase, and so the anomaly does need to be sorted before it leads to bigger skewing of the data.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stuart

If you are leftwing that means you believe the state should control most of the economy, there is no contradiction between that and also believing in authoritarian social values too
    Er, no. That’s your rather blunt definition.

By that token you are also leftwing given that you support a very interventionist government.

A leftwing hardcore Remainer! HYUFD.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Stuart

I am left-wing and I don't believe the State should control most of the economy. Indeed I generally think the ability of any government, of any stripe, to direct the economy is vastly over stated.
    I don't hold authoritarian social values either.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

Cyclefree said:

This is the worst government the country has ever had and I say that as someone who voted Tory in 2019.
    It really isn't. And I'm not a particular fan.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    People defend with the most fiery passion their left wingedness or right wingedness, yet others purportedly of the same tribe disagree with their definition of what it even means. That's not a broad tribe, it's people not really being ideological at all, they've just chosen a tribe to follow and tried to give it more intellectual heft than it deserves.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    rcs1000 said:

houndtang said:

Cyclefree said:

It really isn't. And I'm not a particular fan.
    Ever is a very long time. Worst post war government perhaps?
  • Options

Foxy said:

"many and perhaps most of the Covid deaths that they are reporting are essentially fictitious"

If so, why was total mortality in the UK over the crisis 77% more than normal?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,972
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

"many and perhaps most of the Covid deaths that they are reporting are essentially fictitious"

If so, why was total mortality in the UK over the crisis 77% more than normal?
    And 77% more even though everyone was stuck inside not getting in car accidents or contracting other illnesses. The idea that most Covid deaths are fictitious is for the birds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Stuart

Er, no. That’s your rather blunt definition.

By that token you are also leftwing given that you support a very interventionist government.

A leftwing hardcore Remainer! HYUFD.
    No, I am conservative but I do not pretend to be a liberal either
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Finally saw Neowise with a break in the northern cloud.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Stuart

I am left-wing and I don't believe the State should control most of the economy. Indeed I generally think the ability of any government, of any stripe, to direct the economy is vastly over stated.
    Why do you consider yourself left-wing?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Stuart

If you do not believe the state should control most of the economy then you are by definition not leftwing, you might be centrist but you are not leftwing.

You sound far more of a centrist liberal than leftwing
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    The original tweet from Carl Heneghan, a professor at Oxford University, and editor-in-chief of "BJM - Evidence Based Medicine":

https://twitter.com/carlheneghan/status/1283827126962204672
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

If you do not believe the state should control most of the economy then you are by definition not leftwing, you might be centrist but you are not leftwing.

I think the labels confuse more than they help. Personally I'm in favour of much higher income tax on higher tax bands plus a wealth tax plus high spending on health, social care and education and a minimal military budget and no royal family. But I'm not in favour of government control of most of industry and I'm thoroughly relaxed about social issues, if people pay their taxes I don't care about their luxuries, and I don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives. On youtr definition I'm a centrist, but that doesn't feel very centrist to me? Is it a useful label?
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,891
    Pulpstar said:

Finally saw Neowise with a break in the northern cloud.

Me too. Too much urban rubbish (and cloud) in the way for me to see it earlier in the month when it was brighter - at least without driving around at 2am. It is high enough in the sky now to be seen quite easily.

Quite an impressive sight in binoculars.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Better for Trump than yours truly would have expected in Bluegrass State.

In US Senate race, 7% for Libertarian mostly at McConnell's expense; note there is (apparently) also 7% undecided. These later partly IMHO from supporters of McGrath's Democratic opponent who can be expected to come home by November, but most are likely true undecideds.

Conclusion: McGrath is in striking distance BUT clearly has a long way to go to upset McConnell. SO it's the Battle o' the Clans - break out yez claymores!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

I think the labels confuse more than they help. Personally I'm in favour of much higher income tax on higher tax bands plus a wealth tax plus high spending on health, social care and education and a minimal military budget and no royal family. But I'm not in favour of government control of most of industry and I'm thoroughly relaxed about social issues, if people pay their taxes I don't care about their luxuries, and I don't want to tell anyone how to live their lives. On youtr definition I'm a centrist, but that doesn't feel very centrist to me? Is it a useful label?
    So no action on climate change?
This discussion has been closed.