Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It is beginning to look that a no-deal Brexit could be off the

Comments

• Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

OT shopping news -- massive queue for Sports Direct; none for Sainsbury's. One of the local primary schools always has children in its playground, presumably owing to staggered breaks and PE lessons.

A local secondary school was badly rebuilt recently, which means that they now have staggered break and lunchtimes.

Year 7 start lesson 3 for 15 minutes, break for lunch and then return for the rest of the lesson.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    MaxPB said:

I fully understand the government making a stand on summer lunch vouchers. It won't be long until they're made permanent and then how long until people start asking for dinner vouchers and eventually it just becomes another type of benefit.

Free school meals in term time make sense as it's for educational purposes. Outside of term time it's yet more entitlement culture. Means test the benefit and any family that has more than one mobile phone contract or paid cable or satellite TV is instantly ineligible.

Once again parents are more than happy to shift the burden of raising their children onto the state.

The optics are absolutely terrible, but this is one area I'd absolutely stand firm and use the 80 seat majority to bat it away and ask Marcus Rashford to run for parliament if he feels so strongly about it.

I think you could make a reasonable argument that it's justified during the COVID-19 crisis but that it shouldn't be extended after that, and that argument is something the public probably would agree with.

Lower income families are seeing their income cut and pre-COVID they may just about have been able to put food on the table but it may be a bigger struggle right now, so to offer it for six weeks would be an easy way out of this, especially considering the sum is dwarfed by other economic support the government is offering.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,913
    Once again Grant Shapps was forced to publicly humiliate himself on live TV this morning, to no end...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2020
    Huge News....

Dexamethasone is a life-saving coronavirus drug

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus.

UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment is major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-53061281
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2020
    Rashford 1
    Govt 0

Rashford 44 mins (pen)
  • Options

Rashford 1
    Govt 0

Rashford 43 mins (pen)

BoZo, 92 mins, own goal...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Scott_xP said:
    Good idea for the Government to do this during the Pandemic.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
  • Options
    BoZo, Cummings, Shapps, your boys took a hell of a beating...
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited June 2020
    Scott_xP said:

Like with Scott the Brexit delusion is strong with Marina.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    MaxPB said:

I fully understand the government making a stand on summer lunch vouchers. It won't be long until they're made permanent and then how long until people start asking for dinner vouchers and eventually it just becomes another type of benefit.

Free school meals in term time make sense as it's for educational purposes. Outside of term time it's yet more entitlement culture. Means test the benefit and any family that has more than one mobile phone contract or paid cable or satellite TV is instantly ineligible.

Once again parents are more than happy to shift the burden of raising their children onto the state.

The optics are absolutely terrible, but this is one area I'd absolutely stand firm and use the 80 seat majority to bat it away and ask Marcus Rashford to run for parliament if he feels so strongly about it.

I think it would sit comfortably within the government's package of Covid-19 measures.

Why are you keen to pretend, for free school meals and free school meals only, that all is well otherwise and we aren't facing an economic, social, and mental health crisis at the same time?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    So today is another

Burn Political Capital

Burn Political Capital

Burn Political Capital

Burn Political Capital

Cave in

day

• Options
    Does this mean I have to give credit to the second rate institution?

https://twitter.com/Smyth_Chris/status/1272861586886209537?s=20
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Scott_xP said:

Once again Grant Shapps was forced to publicly humiliate himself on live TV this morning, to no end...

He does get sent out on all the bad news days. Guess its better than never getting an appearance like Coffey or Sharma. I wonder what part of his background made him a suitable choice for shameless obfuscation, spinning and lying.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,062

Rashford 1
    Govt 0

Rashford 44 mins (pen)

Tactical withdrawal in culture war.
  • Options

Unfortunately the opposition own the referee!
    If it's Arsenal 3-0 up btw with 10 mins to go it's a bolted on final result of 3-4 as they yet again throw it all away.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

I think it would sit comfortably within the government's package of Covid-19 measures.

Why are you keen to pretend, for free school meals and free school meals only, that all is well otherwise and we aren't facing an economic, social, and mental health crisis at the same time?
    Boris's biggest problem may be saying no.

He simply can't.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

BoZo, Cummings, Shapps, your boys took a hell of a beating...

Like you on December 12th 2019 :smiley:

• Options
    OH THAT IS FUCKING FUNNY!
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The message from this government at heart we don’t give a fig and if we could get away with it we would but we’ve now u-turned.

You can judge this government by its original intentions which on this and the health surcharge show where it’s true heart is , if of course you can find it !
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Rashford wins!

If they were prepared to take the necessary pay cut I think he and Raheem Stirling ought to be brought into the cabinet.

We could do a lot worse. We are doing a lot worse, let's face it.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Boris's biggest problem may be saying no.

He simply can't.
    ha well he didn't it turns out!
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,626
    Scott_xP said:

I have to say I have been impressed with him (and I am no fan because of his past), but he has handled himself very well in the pandemic and seems more than willing to be wheeled out when a hospital pass is on the way and when everyone else is hiding behind the sofa.

Not sure if this is a bold move on his part or whether he is too stupid to notice that everyone is running for cover on one of these days. So far it has done him no harm in my opinion.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Huge News....

Dexamethasone is a life-saving coronavirus drug

A cheap and widely available drug called dexamethasone can help save the lives of patients who are seriously ill with coronavirus.

UK experts say the low-dose steroid treatment is major breakthrough in the fight against the deadly virus.

It cut the risk of death by a third for patients on ventilators. For those on oxygen, it cut deaths by a fifth.

It's such a horrible drug, I think I'll take my chances with the covid.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    Well played Marcus Rashford. It has been done begrudgingly but I am really pleased the government has seen sense on this.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995
    Scott_xP said:

I reckon he fucking loves the humiliation. It would also explain the wig he timeshares with Therese Coffey.
  • Options
    kjh said:

Scott_xP said:

I have to say I have been impressed with him (and I am no fan because of his past), but he has handled himself very well in the pandemic and seems more than willing to be wheeled out when a hospital pass is on the way and when everyone else is hiding behind the sofa.

Not sure if this is a bold move on his part or whether he is too stupid to notice that everyone is running for cover on one of these days. So far it has done him no harm in my opinion.
    Schapps will be fuming and ministers will not go into bat for a government that u-turns like this at the drop of a hat.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Well played Marcus Rashford. It has been done begrudgingly but I am really pleased the government has seen sense on this.

At times like this critics of the govt should be careful to avoid too much criticism of the government or suggesting it is weak from u turning. Listening and changing policy is good, whether or not they should have got it right first time or not.

Given their internal policy proposals, hopefully they make a whole series of u-turns over the next few years.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,208
    I said it wouldn't last the day. I thought they would fold in time for tomorrow's front pages (to keep it off them I mean). So evening time.

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Problem here is that there is an 80 seat majority.
    However, it is led by people who showed how to get your way is to openly oppose your own government.
    And they'll give in.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Scott_xP said:
    The guy (Johnson) is a rotter! The worst Prime Minster in living memory leading a wretched right wing xenophobic Government. Sad, sad times.

We've got 4 more years of this sh*t to go folks!
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    kinabalu said:

Rashford wins!

If they were prepared to take the necessary pay cut I think he and Raheem Stirling ought to be brought into the cabinet.

We could do a lot worse. We are doing a lot worse, let's face it.

I would prefer Rashford to keep playing centre forward for Man U. You can have Sterling if you like although if you tell him the annual salary he may assume that's per week.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

However, it is led by people who showed how to get your way is to openly oppose your own government.
    And they'll give in.

Correct. The message is Johnson can be pushed around by anyone who stamps their feet and shrieks enough.

He can't say no. He cannot tough out a few bad headlines.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:
    On quarantines and 2m vs 1m they are temporary measures. Pretending they are u-turns when they are reduced is absurd.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,304
    Scott_xP said:
    It's all a bit curious. What happens? Are decisions made by Dom which Boris gets to hear about and overrides? Or Are decisions made by Boris which Dom gets to hear about and overrides? If so, can't they settle on a decision first before going public?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

Correct. The message is Johnson can be pushed around by anyone who stamps their feet and shrieks enough.

He did with Cummings. Which tells us all we need to know about who is really in charge here.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    What a difference Boris and Mr Frost have made. Feels very much like UK is calling the shots or at least an equal partner compared to a year ago.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/06/16/eu-vows-try-everything-possible-get-brexit-trade-deal-done-time/
  • Options

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

How can you possibly say that after the Dom incident? Right or wrong he rode out the twitter storm for 10 days.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:
    He has handled this with impressive dignity throughout - an impressive young man. And run rings round the government.
    Mugged off the Scots too
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    Well, at least we'll never have to hear any complaints about 'populism' or 'unelected advisers' from those experiencing onanistic ecstasy at a decision on public spending being outsourced to a footballer... :wink:
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

How can you possibly say that after the Dom incident? Right or wrong he rode out the twitter storm for 10 days.
    Yes well have a think about what that tells us about who is actually running things.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

And the thing is the one set of really bad headlines, that he could have avoided and stuck firm i.e. Big Dom.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It proves protecting Cummings is BoZo's highest priority
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

We're not party to the amount of foot stamping and shrieking done by Dom.
  • Options
    edited June 2020

DavidL said:

At times like this critics of the govt should be careful to avoid too much criticism of the government or suggesting it is weak from u turning. Listening and changing policy is good, whether or not they should have got it right first time or not.

Given their internal policy proposals, hopefully they make a whole series of u-turns over the next few years.
    That's very fair and also true. We are heading into unchartered waters with damn little money and whole raft loads of victims. An unprecedented amount of flexibility is going to be required. But feeding kids in poverty seems a very good place to start.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

Indeed.

Feeding kids during a pandemic is the right thing to do, sacking trusted advisors because of a witchhunt is not.

Chose the right thing to reverse on.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

And the thing is the one set of really bad headlines, that he could have avoided and stuck firm i.e. Big Dom.
    The public wont even notice its a u-turn as the Rashford story hasnt even been in the public conscience for more than 24 hours. To the public who are not on twitter this is just Boris being kind to the poor.
  • Options

Well, at least we'll never have to hear any complaints about 'populism' or 'unelected advisers' from those experiencing onanistic ecstasy at a decision on public spending being outsourced to a footballer... :wink:

I think Twitter is disappointed that Boris just went with it. They were probably hoping for a week long saga dragged out like with Cummings. As if any of them actually care about free school meals? Doubt it.
  • Options
    If the BoZo fanbois try and spin this any harder they are going to puke all over the thread...

Oh, too late.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

Rubbish. It proves those claiming he can't say no are wrong.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

The guy who is delivering Brexit and much needed change to the UK should be a priority. They are all the stronger for riding out that twitter storm and have clearly learned some lessons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

He did with Cummings. Which tells us all we need to know about who is really in charge here.
    I think this is a Gove/Cummings government with Johnson simultaneously the frontman and a passenger.

He is the lipstick on the pig or the shit on the shoe depending how you view things.
  • Options

Good try, but the public spending decision sits with the treasury and elected ministers, it has not been outsourced. In a democracy, people, including footballers, are perfectly entitled to campaign and lobby, that is quite different to populism or an unelected adviser making decisions for their puppet PM.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rubbish. It proves those claiming he can't say no are wrong.

It proves the only person he can't say no to is Dom
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    The thing about this decision is that Boris actually started the week quite well. His position on statues I think will have gone down well with the voter base. Red Wall Tories will see all the hard left nutters wanting rid of Churchill and Boris saying enough of this nonsense, we should focus on issues in todays society, as the right thing to do.

Now it is back to piss poor decisions and media management.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930
    Being forced kicking and screaming into ensuring vulnerable kids do not go hungry is not a great look. But it is better than actually letting them go hungry.

The major takeaway here is wait a while before making any definitive calls on Rishi Sunak's political prospects. He has done the easy part. The next bit is going to be a whole lot tougher. The current fiasco is but a taster for the much bigger stuff to come.
  • Options
    edited June 2020
    Brom said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

The public wont even notice its a u-turn as the Rashford story hasnt even been in the public conscience for more than 24 hours. To the public who are not on twitter this is just Boris being kind to the poor.
    There's a bit in The Thick of It where Julius is relaxed about the opposition identifying problems with the immigration system because "they highlight the problems and we fix them". There's some merit in it.

The biggest problem with Theresa May's social care plan is that most people don't think there's a problem that needs fixing. Sure, the media occasionally talks about the problems (pre-COVID I mean), but I don't think most people worry about it and that's because it isn't relentlessly in the news. People don't know that government takes away people's housing to pay for care, which is why the opposition was able to paint May as wanting to steal your house.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,164
    Brom said:

Scott_xP said:

DavidL said:

The guy who is delivering Brexit and much needed change to the UK should be a priority. They are all the stronger for riding out that twitter storm and have clearly learned some lessons.
    Lol again.
  • Options
    What time is Boris's speech? Thought it was now?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,973

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

Indeed.

Feeding kids during a pandemic is the right thing to do, sacking trusted advisors because of a witchhunt is not.

Chose the right thing to reverse on.
    Sacking trusted advisors wasn't the issue - the fact is Boris and Cummings can't see how they can defuse things easily,

1) Cummings should have been told to offer a resignation that Boris then refused due to the current crisis (would have played better and removed all the sting immediately)
    2) Likewise the free school meals scheme should have been allowed to continue into September due to Covid.

In both cases all they've done is distract people from more important things.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

I think this is a Gove/Cummings government with Johnson simultaneously the frontman and a passenger.

He is the lipstick on the pig or the shit on the shoe depending how you view things.
    We don't agree on much, but on this I am with you.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

We don't agree on much, but on this I am with you.
    Oh no!
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Being forced kicking and screaming into ensuring vulnerable kids do not go hungry is not a great look. But it is better than actually letting them go hungry.

The major takeaway here is wait a while before making any definitive calls on Rishi Sunak's political prospects. He has done the easy part. The next bit is going to be a whole lot tougher. The current fiasco is but a taster for the much bigger stuff to come.

Unless the government are just going to keep the taps flowing forever, the screaming over "austerity" (which was in many cases mostly just slowing increasing) that Cameron and Osborne oversaw is going to be a breeze compared to when 100,000s of people realise that furlough scheme was actually extended redundancy.

The government are either going to go full Corbyn or have to get a lot smarter about which battle to fight and be willing to stay strong. Weak and wobbly an even worse look for a government than one where some decisions seem harsh, but for a reason.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    This is great news. Given the cheapness of the drug, we could be talking about this saving tends if not hundreds of thousands of lives.

• Options

The thing about this decision is that Boris actually started the week quite well. His position on statues I think will have gone down well with the voter base. Red Wall Tories will see all the hard left nutters wanting rid of Churchill and Boris saying enough of this nonsense, we should focus on issues in todays society, as the right thing to do.

Now it is back to piss poor decisions and media management.

Resolving this school meals issue within 24 hours seems like reasonable decision making.
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Good try, but the public spending decision sits with the treasury and elected ministers, it has not been outsourced. In a democracy, people, including footballers, are perfectly entitled to campaign and lobby, that is quite different to populism or an unelected adviser making decisions for their puppet PM.

On the contrary, it's exactly the same - indeed worse, because the government won a majority on a populist platform and has the right to appoint any advisers it chooses. The last time I checked, no footballer had any of that democratic legitimacy.

Since populism is now explicitly the name of the game for all sides, roll on the abolition of DfID!
  • Options

Resolving this school meals issue within 24 hours seems like reasonable decision making.

LOL

https://twitter.com/estwebber/status/1272809112863158275
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Government desperately needs inner cabinet + Alistair Campbell running a small team spotting clouds before they become thunder storms.

On a serious note social media is resulting in part of the population including many celebrities participating in a frenzy of agitation. Is this a virtual '68? The frenzy even exceeds the last GE and yet another GE is 4 years away. What is going to give? Will it deflate or explode in some way?
  • Options

Unless the government are just going to keep the taps flowing forever, the screaming over "austerity" (which we many cases were mostly just slowing increasing) that Cameron and Osborne oversaw is going to be a breeze compared to when 100,000s of people realise that furlough scheme was actually extended redundancy.

The government are either going to go full Corbyn or have to get a lot smarter about which battle to fight and be willing to stay strong.
    Considering that millions went onto the furlough scheme, if only 100,000s get redundancy that will be a huge success.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

LOL

Is that article from over 24 hours ago?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    What time is the latest Global Britain guff being wheeled out ? Will the Red Arrows be doing a fly past .
  • Options

I think Sunak has come over quite well thus far. And yet I sense - and I mean I strongly sense - that he is a bubble waiting for the prick.

Which is not great, but I suppose is better than the opposite.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2020
    All the tabloids are going big on the Rashford story. It has a David-and-Goliath and Roy of the Rovers, working-class young footballer beats the government angle, which brings people back together after the culture wars, and has a unifying and popular aspect. Very interesting.
  • Options

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

And they'll give in.

We're not party to the amount of foot stamping and shrieking done by Dom.
    Maybe not but we were certainly privy to everyone else's (including some mildly embarrassing thread headers on here claiming it was the biggest story in, well, anything over the last hour would have been hyperbole). You'd like to think that some of that hysterical ranting had led to some self reflection. But no.
  • Options

Is that article from over 24 hours ago?

Did you read it?

Obviously not
  • Options
    edited June 2020

Government desperately needs inner cabinet + Alistair Campbell running a small team spotting clouds before they become thunder storms.

On a serious note social media is resulting in part of the population including many celebrities participating in a frenzy of agitation. Is this a virtual '68? The frenzy even exceeds the last GE and yet another GE is 4 years away. What is going to give? Will it deflate or explode in some way?

It already kinda exploded a lidl bit on the last couple of weekends.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Wonderful law of unintended consequences here for the left. They've just campaigned to introduce a voucher based entitlement. Something that they (and I) have campaigned against for years has just been cheered across the line.

More than 3 minutes spent thinking on this and they'll begin to realise what a gigantic error they've made. Instead of vouchers they should have asked for £120m in additional child tax credits.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    What a phenomenal victory by Marcus Rashford for decency.

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1272862394176462848?s=20
  • Options

All the tabloids are going big on the Rashford story. It has a David-and-Goliath and Roy of the Rovers, working-class young footballer beats the government angle, which transcends the current culture wars, and has a unifying, widely popular aspect. Very interesting.

Rashford for PM c.2040? It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Perhaps we'll see Trump as a trailblazer by then!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    That was a bloody awful U-Turn, and I say that as somebody who would have paid more because of it.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526
    Scott_xP said:

LOL

The explosive issue should be how it is possible in one of the world's richest countries for substantial numbers of children to be hungry.
This discussion has been closed.