Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The vibes are that the lockdown could be set to be eased

Comments

• Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,659
    The ironic thing about the Gillian Duffy episode was that the LD MP for Rochdale lost his seat to Labour at the 2010 election, (although boundary changes contributed to it).
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,694
    The postponed Tokyo Olympics will be "scrapped" if they cannot take place in 2021, says Games chief Yoshiro Mori.
  • Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,975

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Unsurprising figure but I'm surprised as many as 7% went for Gove too - as someone who likes Gove. Shows the unreliability of polling respondents to answer the question actually asked.

Gove and Patel simply haven't done that much that's obvious compared to the others during Boris's absence. Their departments are not as key frontline as the others.
    Nation likes person who gives them free stuff shock.
    Nation likes person who took the risk to react quickly in what was a constructive manner. Given the usual speed of the Treasury when it comes to handing back money, it was a bloody miracle.

Compare and contrast with everyone else in government.
    Note he's never once said "we're following the advice of our economists"...
    Because that would be an absurd and meaningless phrase that most especially anyone who knows anything about economics would laugh at.

Why would anyone say anything so silly? There are economists for and against almost any action.
    Of course, the same goes for science. As Prof Brian Cox said to Andrew Marr on Sunday:

"There’s no such thing as ‘the science’, which is a key lesson. If you hear a politician say ‘we’re following the science’, then what that means is they don’t really understand what science is. There isn’t such a thing as ‘the science’. Science is a mindset."
    I wonder if that applies to campaigners on Global Warming, where 'follow the science' is also a mantra.

Just a musing on that...
    Not accepting that increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to the warmng of average global temperatures is not just outsider the "cloud of science" it is a hundred miles away.
    Arguing that tiny trace volumes of CO2 are the only controlling factor and what the sun is up to is a disctraction seems thousands of miles away.

Increase in CO2 levels in the atmosphere 285 ppm to 410 ppm since 1850.
    That's a 44% increase. Saying the words "tiny trace" just makes you sound like an idiot.

"How can a tiny trace amount of botulinum toxin kill someone?"
    Globally over decades the world is certainly outputting a lot of CO2.

The global atmospheric difference in CO2 between the UK going to net zero at a timescale like the government are proposing and the UK going at a timescale XR propose is a tiny trace difference.
    I believe you've created a variant of Zeno's Paradox. Well done.

Any large thing can be broken down into small things. On their own the small things can look irrelevant and insignificant, but no big thing happens without the small things that make it up happening.

To make the big thing happen we have to do the small things. Yes, the UK is relatively small, and yes, the difference between two different policy choices we make might be even smaller, but combined with other countries making similar choices it can add up to a big difference.

And, with that, I'll head off to do some small things.
    Which was my point. We need to address our CO2 manner in a way that other countries can take inspiration from and copy. Not in a way that other countries will look at, ignore and think "we're not doing that".

The solution to climate change is research and technology. We have led the world in the development of clean wind power especially. Our power usage has gone from being coal-dominated to almost entirely eliminating coal. Clean electricity now forms most of our electricity. Other countries are looking at us using clean, cheap [to generate] electricity and thinking "why can't/shouldn't we do that?" Within a decade we could eliminate CO2 from our economic generation almost entirely.

Going down the XR route of saying "air travel is evil, cars are evil, development is evil, smash capitalism" will not lead to change elsewhere. Developing clean and economically technologies will do.
    Lets push for investment in something like this: https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/
    A form of air travel that can be made fully electric, including for long haul flights (which could be turned into something between airliner-style travel and cruise liner-style travel.
    edited April 2020
    Analysis by BBC News has identified 114 health worker deaths linked to the coronavirus. Additional analysis found credible reports for the deaths of 16 social care workers across the UK.

According to Health Secretary Matt Hancock, 82 NHS workers and 16 social care workers have died from Covid-19 in England.

..The BBC News analysis is based on deaths reported in the public domain

Its like they haven't heard that there can be a delay between a death and all the paperwork being completed, processed and collated. I presume Hancock is rather busy at the moment and doesn't have time to search every single local newspaper, twitter, etc.
    O/T

On the UK Gridwatch page, coal has been relegated to the sidelines and biomass promoted to the main dashboard.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,060
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

In Race for a Coronavirus Vaccine, an Oxford Group Leaps Ahead

"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html?smid=tw-share

A problem looming apparently is if the UK gets the infection rate too low in next few weeks, they wont be able to test here properly.

Surprised Peta have not tried to grab some headlines protesting this abuse of animals.
    Personally I think animal research where it's clearly necessary (And this is a stonkingly obvious case) should go ahead but there should be high welfare standards akin to the best zoos also in place.
    It's probably a middle ground of thinking that doesn't see much light of day amongst either PETA or the bosses of the institutions running the labs.
    That was pretty much the attitude of most of my peers when the Oxford animal lab was being built across the road from my college. Watching the riot police on Mansfield Road separate the opposing protesters one Saturday morning wasn't something I was expecting to witness during my time there.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,353
    edited April 2020
    I presume this is what @Big_G_NorthWales was alluding to rather mysteriously, yesterday.

‘Survival Of Airbus' At Risk, Faury Warns
    https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/aircraft-propulsion/survival-airbus-risk-faury-warns
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,656
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

On the UK Gridwatch page, coal has been relegated to the sidelines and biomass promoted to the main dashboard.

Isn't biomass just coal for the impatient?
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

"Scientists at the National Institutes of Health’s Rocky Mountain Laboratory in Montana last month inoculated six rhesus macaque monkeys with single doses of the Oxford vaccine. The animals were then exposed to heavy quantities of the virus that is causing the pandemic — exposure that had consistently sickened other monkeys in the lab. But more than 28 days later all six were healthy, said Vincent Munster, the researcher who conducted the test."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/world/europe/coronavirus-vaccine-update-oxford.html?smid=tw-share

A problem looming apparently is if the UK gets the infection rate too low in next few weeks, they wont be able to test here properly.

Surprised Peta have not tried to grab some headlines protesting this abuse of animals.
    Personally I think animal research where it's clearly necessary (And this is a stonkingly obvious case) should go ahead but there should be high welfare standards akin to the best zoos also in place.
    It's probably a middle ground of thinking that doesn't see much light of day amongst either PETA or the bosses of the institutions running the labs.
    That was pretty much the attitude of most of my peers when the Oxford animal lab was being built across the road from my college. Watching the riot police on Mansfield Road separate the opposing protesters one Saturday morning wasn't something I was expecting to witness during my time there.
    Looks like the monkeys in this case should be happy enough with the outcome
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Not sure. Interesting if so.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Alistair said:

dr_spyn said:
    Brought me very close to voting Labour for the first time in my life.
    I think I had already voted by post before that happened.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,823
    DougSeal said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

Looks like the monkeys in this case should be happy enough with the outcome
    They have a right to be no-vaxxers though.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677
    Nigelb said:

I presume this is what @Big_G_NorthWales was alluding to rather mysteriously, yesterday.

‘Survival Of Airbus' At Risk, Faury Warns
    https://aviationweek.com/air-transport/aircraft-propulsion/survival-airbus-risk-faury-warns

According to an old comrade who works at Emirates they are going to close the Hamburg A320 FAL and convert the Toulouse A380 FAL to A320. He also reckons the French government are going to pay to move the wing construction from Broughton to France but this will take years.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,522
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Contrary to the Header my vibes are not that lockdown is set to be eased. I am fortunate enough to have a Sir Cliff Richard calendar on the kitchen wall and I have marked the end of UK lockdown on there. 28th May. The balance of political risk steers to keeping it until then.

In his May picture, Cliff is in concert and is wearing head to toe denim. Shirt is well open, hair long, big sideburns. Quite raunchy. It catches him in what many feel to be his best period, the mid seventies. Very possible, therefore, that the song he is singing is Devil Woman (1976) - I like to think so anyway.

Miss You Nights, surely?
    I watched the video to "Daddy's Home" on Youtube last week.. and sang along! (to the title bit, I don't know the words)
    The hidden toll of lockdown on people's lives. Real people. Real lives.
    Haha

I watched a few Roger Waters interviews to redress the balance!
    :smile: - yes I can imagine you liking him.

HIM, I mean, not necessarily his music. He has a trad WC 1950s vibe. Salt of the earth blended with a touch of the spiritual

Looks uncannily like Richard Gere? Well, yes, there's that too. But Waters came first so any charge of copycat would be ridiculous.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Westminster voting intention:

CON: 50% (-2)
    LAB: 33% (+2)
    LDEM: 7% (-1)
    GRN: 4% (+1)

via @RedfieldWilton, 26 Apr
    Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

Disaster. Down to only 1 in 2 of the population is a Conservative.....
    Interesting direction of travel though. Were an election actually to be called - even before the economic tsunami arrives - I would be surprised to see the Tories retain as much as half of that poll lead.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Unsurprising figure but I'm surprised as many as 7% went for Gove too - as someone who likes Gove. Shows the unreliability of polling respondents to answer the question actually asked.

Gove and Patel simply haven't done that much that's obvious compared to the others during Boris's absence. Their departments are not as key frontline as the others.
    Nation likes person who took the risk to react quickly in what was a constructive manner. Given the usual speed of the Treasury when it comes to handing back money, it was a bloody miracle.

Because that would be an absurd and meaningless phrase that most especially anyone who knows anything about economics would laugh at.

Why would anyone say anything so silly? There are economists for and against almost any action.
    Of course, the same goes for science. As Prof Brian Cox said to Andrew Marr on Sunday:

"There’s no such thing as ‘the science’, which is a key lesson. If you hear a politician say ‘we’re following the science’, then what that means is they don’t really understand what science is. There isn’t such a thing as ‘the science’. Science is a mindset."
    I wonder if that applies to campaigners on Global Warming, where 'follow the science' is also a mantra.

Just a musing on that...

Not accepting that increasing the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere will lead to the warmng of average global temperatures is not just outsider the "cloud of science" it is a hundred miles away.
    Arguing that tiny trace volumes of CO2 are the only controlling factor and what the sun is up to is a disctraction seems thousands of miles away.

That's a 44% increase. Saying the words "tiny trace" just makes you sound like an idiot.

The global atmospheric difference in CO2 between the UK going to net zero at a timescale like the government are proposing and the UK going at a timescale XR propose is a tiny trace difference.
    Brexiteer= Climate change denier. What a surprise. Had enough of experts? Support Brexit and any other idiots charter that is in vogue with the pseudoscience Trumpian populist right wing.
    A venn diagram of Trump fans/ Brexiteers/ climate change deniers/ end-lockdown-now advocates would show a great deal of overlap.
    justin124 said:

Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

Interesting direction of travel though. Were an election actually to be called - even before the economic tsunami arrives - I would be surprised to see the Tories retain as much as half of that poll lead.
    An election won't be called, so it's probably not even worth thinking about!
  • glwglw Posts: 9,801

Thunderbirds estimate half a billion to a billion people in the developing world will be getting this shortly.
    He may well prove to be right, and yet a worryingly large number of people (I'm talking about politicians, business people, and even some medics) seem to be talking as though it will soon be all over.
    Scott_xP said:
    That doesn't seem to tally with the numbers from elsewhere on deaths.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 52,020
    edited April 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    It's actually only England (just so eadric can be smug about running to Wales!).
    glw said:

Thunderbirds estimate half a billion to a billion people in the developing world will be getting this shortly.
    He may well prove to be right, and yet a worryingly large number of people (I'm talking about politicians, business people, and even some medics) seem to be talking as though it will soon be all over.
    Unfortunately, as much as Starmer might want the government to treat us like grown-ups, they don't actually mean telling us the horrible truth of all this.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Its a typical nonsense tweet again
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020
    RobD said:

Stage of pandemic, thresholds, timelags etc. Not a good tweet indeed.

• kamskikamski Posts: 5,064
    Now my wife and a few colleagues have sent off blood for antibody testing - the proper Elisa style lab tests, apparently. They just wanted to know if they have already been infected, and found that it was possible to do it privately by paying 17 euros each. Will get the results by Friday

I was quite surprised that it is so easily available, I'm kind of assuming that labs have idle capacity of this sort right now and are waiting for someone to decide how to best use it...
    edited April 2020
    BBC Headline - Care home coronavirus deaths rising rapidly...

https://twitter.com/cricketwyvern/status/1255093916770205697?s=20
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,075
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Key thing is reporting period. Governments normally release death statistics periodically with additional lags from decease to reporting to data aggregation. The implication of this chart, correct or not, is that other countries have now got control over their previously high death rate in the community, while the UK has not.
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Key thing is reporting period. Governments normally release death statistics periodically with additional lags from decease to reporting to data aggregation. The implication of this chart, correct or not, is that other countries have now got control over their previously high death rate in the community, while the UK has not.
    Given the numbers of hospital deaths are very similar between the UK and France, there would need to be next to no community deaths in France for this map to be accurate. I don't think that's the case.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited April 2020
    t

dr_spyn said:
    Prof Cowley is absolutely right. That pattern of that campaign had Labour in the low 30s and Tories high 30s, then the Cleggasm, before a fairly long, stable period of Labour in the high 20s, Tories mid 30s, Lib Dems mid 20s. Bigot-gate was fairly late on, right before the final leadership debate when things were very stable. It had zero perceptible effect.

It's very easy to believe that events that stick in the memory are game-changers, and to mythologise them. But often it doesn't stand up, and this is an example.

One thing I wonder about with that case, though, is how it would have played if Brown hadn't been so grovellingly apologetic. There's some question as to whether he'd have been better gambling that quite a few people were broadly sympathetic to him but thought he was rather weak in his response and voted Lib Dem. It wasn't uncommon at the time for people to say, "I know her sort... not sure about 'bigot', but 'sour old bat' wouldn't be far wrong". That might well be unfair to Mrs Duffy, by the way, who may be quite charming. But she didn't come across as that lovable a character in the exchange. Probably wouldn't have made much difference, or may have been worse, but we'll never know.
    https://twitter.com/niall_gooch/status/1255101826497753090?s=21
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,064
    OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

Brexiteer= Climate change denier. What a surprise. Had enough of experts? Support Brexit and any other idiots charter that is in vogue with the pseudoscience Trumpian populist right wing.
    A venn diagram of Trump fans/ Brexiteers/ climate change deniers/ end-lockdown-now advocates would show a great deal of overlap.
    I don't think it's fair to group them all together. Someone can have reasonable grounds for wanting the UK to leave the EU, and I don't think anyone can be really sure that reducing distancing measures now isn't the right thing to do.

Trump fans and climate change deniers on the other hand...
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

Disaster. Down to only 1 in 2 of the population is a Conservative intends to vote for the Conservative Party candidate if an election were to be called now.....
    Fixed it for you
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,871
    OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

Adding an extra circle for anti-vaccination people would be interesting too.

Lies, damned lies...
  • CD13CD13 Posts: 6,364
    edited April 2020
    As expected, Wee Jimmy has jumped the gun by recommending face masks in certain special circumstances. Anecdote before science,

Here's a thought experiment. You go back to work - with social distancing. You're over forty and you can't quite hear what the other person is saying. You're both wearing facemasks so you lean or come nearer. After all, it's safe - you have a mask on. You'd be surprised how many older people rely on some lip-reading too. You may not even know you're doing it.

The science is not overwhelming and you never do that sort of thing, it's only other people who do. And, of course, you never touch your facemask and then touch other surfaces
    edited April 2020
    tlg86 said:

Lies, damned lies...
    As well as a review of the government's handling of this, there needs to be a review of how innumerate the media are. They are time and time again just flat out wrong on basic stuff. And I don't think most of it is because of a political bias etc, it is they just don't understand what they are looking at.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Despise Trump and hopes he loses, want climate change tackling sensibly, think the lockdown needs to be ended when the time is right but not yet and Brexiteer. So one of your 4.

tlg86 said:

Lies, damned lies...
    As well as a review of the government's handling of this, there needs to be a review of how innumerate the media are. They are time and time again just flat out wrong on basic stuff. And I don't think most of it is because of a political bias etc, it is they just don't understand what they are looking at.
    Tbf, I don't know that dataset that well - so I'll give the BBC the benefit of the doubt and assume they just aren't aware of the daily data.
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006
    kamski said:

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I don't think it's fair to group them all together. Someone can have reasonable grounds for wanting the UK to leave the EU, and I don't think anyone can be really sure that reducing distancing measures now isn't the right thing to do.

Trump fans and climate change deniers on the other hand...
    The overlap would certainly be greater between Trumptons and climate change deniers but I think the overlap between all 4 groups would significant. Before Trump became a global embarrassment his main cheerleaders in the UK were almost entirely Brexiteers.
  • RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    It seems legit. Remember that the UK peaked later than other countries in Europe and rates have now fallen elsewhere. A couple of weeks ago, Italy and Spain were the dark blue ones.

See https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/
  • RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

coal for the impatient - great band. Fantastic second album. Big influence on Radiohead.
    RobD said:

Andy_JS said:

O/T

Not quite.
    "It can be purposely grown energy crops (e.g. miscanthus, switchgrass), wood or forest residues, waste from food crops (wheat straw, bagasse), horticulture (yard waste), food processing (corn cobs), animal farming (manure, rich in nitrogen and phosphorus), or human waste from sewage plants"
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomass
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,558
    When do we reopen our 28 restaurants and 14 chemists ?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,738

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Despise Trump and hopes he loses, want climate change tackling sensibly, think the lockdown needs to be ended when the time is right but not yet and Brexiteer. So one of your 4.
    I have noted a persistent theme - that all Brexiters must be Trump supporters. Despite polling that indicates virtually no-one in the UK has any time for him.
    edited April 2020
    Scott_xP said:

twitter.com/pearswick/status/1255109027568054272

"including a fast-rising toll in care homes."

And that is of course incorrect.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,522

coal for the impatient - great band. Fantastic second album. Big influence on Radiohead.

If they were so great, how come Radiohead are so sh
    edited April 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Contrary to the Header my vibes are not that lockdown is set to be eased. I am fortunate enough to have a Sir Cliff Richard calendar on the kitchen wall and I have marked the end of UK lockdown on there. 28th May. The balance of political risk steers to keeping it until then.

In his May picture, Cliff is in concert and is wearing head to toe denim. Shirt is well open, hair long, big sideburns. Quite raunchy. It catches him in what many feel to be his best period, the mid seventies. Very possible, therefore, that the song he is singing is Devil Woman (1976) - I like to think so anyway.

Miss You Nights, surely?
    I watched the video to "Daddy's Home" on Youtube last week.. and sang along! (to the title bit, I don't know the words)
    Haha

HIM, I mean, not necessarily his music. He has a trad WC 1950s vibe. Salt of the earth blended with a touch of the spiritual

Looks uncannily like Richard Gere? Well, yes, there's that too. But Waters came first so any charge of copycat would be ridiculous.
    I like both him and his music. I used to obsessively love the early Pink Floyd of which he had little writing involvement, and I can barely listen to now (although played The Gnome to our 6 month old son the other day) , and now prefer the albums he more or less wrote on his own, Dark Side to The Final Cut. The Wall is a masterpiece.

He is a massive lefty politically, I think.

Looks wise he has matured like a fine wine... from actually ugly in his twenties and thirties, to genuinely handsome in his seventies.

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Outlier.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    It seems legit. Remember that the UK peaked later than other countries in Europe and rates have now fallen elsewhere. A couple of weeks ago, Italy and Spain were the dark blue ones.

That's a powerful graph

Scott_xP said:

You can't expect the likes of the BBC (2,000 journalists) or Reuters (2,500 journalists) to know such things.
    edited April 2020
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

You can't expect the likes of the BBC (2,000 journalists) or Reuters (2,500 journalists) to know such things.
    Or do some simple company searches to find out Delboy Trotter isn't actually an international PPE supplier.
    Scott_xP said:
    “On track to become one of...”

Plenty of wriggle room!
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,611

Is it correct that we now know there have been

4343 care home deaths from 10/4/20 to 24/4/20
    1043 care home deaths up to 10/4/20
    21092 Hospital deaths up to 5pm on 26/4/20

Total 26,478

Frances 23,293 includes carehome deaths?

What about Spain / Italy Do they include any?
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,699
    Scott_xP said:
    ScotGov PR strategy is to try to announce things ahead of UKGov to look decisive etc. It's why, reportedly, COBRA meetings with Sturgeon present have been compromised.

However not all in the garden is rosy:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/storm-clouds-are-on-the-horizon-for-sturgeon-pjd9mftw2
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

Can you run it for under 60 years of age?
    isam said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

Can you run it for under 60 years of age?
    It's on the linked page, they offer it for 15-64

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

The map only goes to week 16, we are currently week 18 at the moment I think.
    edited April 2020
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Miss You Nights, surely?
    Haha

I like both him and his music. I used to obsessively love the early Pink Floyd of which he had little writing involvement, and I can barely listen to now (although played The Gnome to our 6 month old son the other day) , and now prefer the albums he more or less wrote on his own, Dark Side to The Final Cut. The Wall is a masterpiece.

Looks wise he has matured like a fine wine... from actually ugly in his twenties and thirties, to genuinely handsome in his seventies.

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Or do some simple company searches to find out Delboy Trotter isn't actually an international PPE supplier.
    Some of these organisations could do with a red team to go over their stories before anyone hits publish.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,953

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I believe you've created a variant of Zeno's Paradox. Well done.

Any large thing can be broken down into small things. On their own the small things can look irrelevant and insignificant, but no big thing happens without the small things that make it up happening.

To make the big thing happen we have to do the small things. Yes, the UK is relatively small, and yes, the difference between two different policy choices we make might be even smaller, but combined with other countries making similar choices it can add up to a big difference.

And, with that, I'll head off to do some small things.
    Which was my point. We need to address our CO2 manner in a way that other countries can take inspiration from and copy. Not in a way that other countries will look at, ignore and think "we're not doing that".

The solution to climate change is research and technology. We have led the world in the development of clean wind power especially. Our power usage has gone from being coal-dominated to almost entirely eliminating coal. Clean electricity now forms most of our electricity. Other countries are looking at us using clean, cheap [to generate] electricity and thinking "why can't/shouldn't we do that?" Within a decade we could eliminate CO2 from our economic generation almost entirely.

Going down the XR route of saying "air travel is evil, cars are evil, development is evil, smash capitalism" will not lead to change elsewhere. Developing clean and economically technologies will do.
    Lets push for investment in something like this: https://www.hybridairvehicles.com/
    A form of air travel that can be made fully electric, including for long haul flights (which could be turned into something between airliner-style travel and cruise liner-style travel.
    Hooray for the flying bum!
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,582
    edited April 2020
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

So I am sure this is going to be an idiotic question but what are the 17 and 34 on the x axis? They look like the 1/3 and 2/3 points.

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Outlier.
    So 52% of the population support Trump, want the lockdown to end now and are climate change deniers?

Must be comforting for some to think that.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,143
    Andy_JS said:

Perhaps because they closed their borders and imposed a strict quarantine on New Zealanders returning to the country. I don't know why we didn't do the same.
    Surely just a little thought comparing their respective populations, geographical position, economic structure, size, etc., etc., would give you some clue.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

happy days, happy, happy days.
    glw said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

Some of these organisations could do with a red team to go over their stories before anyone hits publish.
    So you think that new organisations should go round "F%^king stories"*?

*The term in common use at CNN at the time of the Tailwind scandal, meaning verifying a story to be false.
    I'm surprised, I was expecting data for the 17th and 18th to jump today as they data for the 15th and the 16th jumped a few days ago. The 15th and 16th put on dozens of death in a single massive update a few days ago. It thought the same lag would hit the 17th and 18th as well.
    kjh said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

So I am sure this is going to be an idiotic question but what are the 17 and 34 on the x axis? They look like the 1/3 and 2/3 points.
    Weeks within the year. The intervals are Week 17, Week 34 and New Year.
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    kjh said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

If I divide 52 by 3, I get …
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

Miss You Nights, surely?
    Haha

Some great output, I agree. And yes I'd be happy enough to look like that in my 70s. Which is unlikely, frankly.

His politics per wiki look essentially Corbynite with the twist of being pro hunting.
    eadric said:

Yes, Sweden is over its peak almost certainly. Both daily deaths and new cases trending gently down.

https://twitter.com/paul_imanuelsen/status/1255106367276355584?s=21

This is NOT what Doctor Ferguson predicted. It maybe tallies with the mad Israeli professor’s opinion that this disease has a natural ebb and flow, lockdowns are less important than we think
    If Sweden does turn out to have had a strategy that has blended freedom, not trashing their economy and protection of their people, the pivoting of some is going to be incredible.

Personally, I think that it will probably turn out that different countries have a differing range of options available to them based on factors like population density, ability to isolate from neighbours, level of travel into a country from elsewhere.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,582
    Mr. Owls, another concern is how recording happens.

Some cases will be open and shut, but what if someone dies with COVID-19 but not of it? How do we ascertain the cause and how do we record that? What if someone probably had it, but we don't know for certain?

And by 'we' I mean countries generally, not just the UK. Do some treat infection as something to be proven, or something to be disproven?

That's important not only for trying to accurately compare countries' figures, but for trying to work out if certain groups are immune, resistant, or more vulnerable, which has implications for easing the lockdown and perhaps for trying to treat/cure the disease.

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

I have noted a persistent theme - that all Brexiters must be Trump supporters. Despite polling that indicates virtually no-one in the UK has any time for him.
    Maybe, but those that do tend to be Brexiteers.
    Yougov's 'Authoritarian Populism' article is worth a read
    https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2016/11/16/trump-brexit-front-national-afd-branches-same-tree
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,816
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/australia-called-gum-stuck-to-chinas-shoe-by-state-media-in-coronavirus-investigation-stoush

Australia has been described as “gum stuck to the bottom of China’s shoe,” by a Chinese state media editor as Beijing criticised calls for an inquiry into the coronavirus origin as “political manoeuvring,” further straining ties.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,582

kjh said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

Doh. Thank you. Yep I knew it was an idiotic question. They have to be asked though.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    eadric said:

What if Sweden is shown to be brave and right?

That would throw a very big cat into a lot of hysterical pigeons.

Yet Germany is wobbling and may return to lockdown.

Suspect it’s all luck, population profile and geography.
    eadric said:

What if Sweden is shown to be brave and right?

That would throw a very big cat into a lot of hysterical pigeons.

... said an hysterical pigeon.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,299

dr_spyn said:
    Prof Cowley is absolutely right. That pattern of that campaign had Labour in the low 30s and Tories high 30s, then the Cleggasm, before a fairly long, stable period of Labour in the high 20s, Tories mid 30s, Lib Dems mid 20s. Bigot-gate was fairly late on, right before the final leadership debate when things were very stable. It had zero perceptible effect.

It's very easy to believe that events that stick in the memory are game-changers, and to mythologise them. But often it doesn't stand up, and this is an example.

One thing I wonder about with that case, though, is how it would have played if Brown hadn't been so grovellingly apologetic. There's some question as to whether he'd have been better gambling that quite a few people were broadly sympathetic to him but thought he was rather weak in his response and voted Lib Dem. It wasn't uncommon at the time for people to say, "I know her sort... not sure about 'bigot', but 'sour old bat' wouldn't be far wrong". That might well be unfair to Mrs Duffy, by the way, who may be quite charming. But she didn't come across as that lovable a character in the exchange. Probably wouldn't have made much difference, or may have been worse, but we'll never know.
    Bigotgate was the only time I heard politics discussed at work in the 2010GE.

I know its always been fashionable for middle class types to claim it had no effect or that it made them more favourable to Gordon Brown but in reality in cost Labour working class votes.

I'd estimate it gave the Conservatives another 5-10 MPs in 2010.
    edited April 2020

Mr. Owls, another concern is how recording happens.

Some cases will be open and shut, but what if someone dies with COVID-19 but not of it? How do we ascertain the cause and how do we record that? What if someone probably had it, but we don't know for certain?

And by 'we' I mean countries generally, not just the UK. Do some treat infection as something to be proven, or something to be disproven?

That's important not only for trying to accurately compare countries' figures, but for trying to work out if certain groups are immune, resistant, or more vulnerable, which has implications for easing the lockdown and perhaps for trying to treat/cure the disease.

Which is why data science types will be getting PhDs in What-Really-Happend for years after this.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,584
    edited April 2020

Scott_xP said:
    ScotGov PR strategy is to try to announce things ahead of UKGov to look decisive etc. It's why, reportedly, COBRA meetings with Sturgeon present have been compromised.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/storm-clouds-are-on-the-horizon-for-sturgeon-pjd9mftw2
    Golly, I'm shocked after all the upbeat and optimistic predictions for the SNP and Sturgeon on here and other places. That's put a real downer on my day and no mistake!

kjh said:

Alistair said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:

That's a powerful graph

17 and 35 /nitpick.

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Outlier.
    So 52% of the population support Trump, want the lockdown to end now and are climate change deniers?

Maybe brush up your logic and maths?

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

Outlier.

Maybe brush up your logic and maths?
    I'm quite good at both thanks. I'm no outlier, given the vast majority of the nation does not want the lockdown to end now, the vast majority of the nation does not like Trump, the vast majority of the nation are not climate change deniers and the majority of the nation voted for Brexit I rather think I'm quite common at being one of those 4.
    edited April 2020

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

I think this is largely true now. Didn't used to be, but as the awful reality of him as POTUS has dawned on anybody with a brain or a moral compass it has left him with few genuine supporters here in the UK other than the bona fide racist hard right. One does still hear the "terrible but better than Hillary" sentiment around, though. Certainly I hear that more than I would like - which is never - from ostensibly OKish individuals.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,611

Total 26,478

• AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

If Sweden does turn out to have had a strategy that has blended freedom, not trashing their economy and protection of their people, the pivoting of some is going to be incredible.

Personally, I think that it will probably turn out that different countries have a differing range of options available to them based on factors like population density, ability to isolate from neighbours, level of travel into a country from elsewhere.

Yeah, we can't really assume Sweden's model was an option for us, or Belgium, or France/Spain/Italy etc. It's a choice that was open say to Norway or Poland, and it's them Sweden should be compared against. At present they have hugely more deaths (225 per million vs 38 and 15 respectively), but of course the proof of the pudding will be longterm.

Worth noting also that Sweden are being very diligent about covid recording, their stats include everything so are boosted somewhat compared to us, or Spain, or Italy. As a share of excess mortality their reported covid deaths are at 90%.
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,106
    edited April 2020

dr_spyn said:

Bigotgate was the only time I heard politics discussed at work in the 2010GE.

I know its always been fashionable for middle class types to claim it had no effect or that it made them more favourable to Gordon Brown but in reality in cost Labour working class votes.

I'd estimate it gave the Conservatives another 5-10 MPs in 2010.
    On what basis would you estimate that, looking at the polls before and after 28 April 2010?

Aren't you basing your view on anecdote from your office rather than solid evidence? I am also fairly surprised that Bigotgate was the ONLY time you heard politics discussed in the 2010 General Election. It was a memorable event from the campaign, for sure, but more impactful than the first leadership debate and aftermath? I seriously doubt it.

I'm sure you're right some people didn't vote Labour who would have done as a result of it. That's true for most memorable events. But were the numbers large and were they balanced by people who might otherwise have voted Lib Dem and rather liked the fact Brown had reacted in a fairly human way to someone who quite a lot of people saw as rather an unsympathetic character.

I guess you could make a case that it was a distraction just when Labour didn't need it, putting them on the back foot just at the moment they were going to make their move with a few days to go. And it's true that, when you're behind, you don't want to run down the clock with damage limitation work. But it's not clear what that move was going to be - as I say, the polls were really pretty stable from the second debate right through to polling day.

PS. I've always found it amusing that Rochdale, where Bigot-gate unfolded, provided one of Labour's best results of the night - a gain from the Lib Dems on a decent swing. We can't know what would have happened otherwise - maybe it would've been even better for Labour. But you'd have thought Rochdale would be the place where this would have had the worst effect for Labour had it been a really important incident in terms of voting intentions.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,299

Total 26,478

I don't think Spain and Italy do.

And I doubt France have included all their care home deaths - it will be an uncertain and lagging number.
  • JSpringJSpring Posts: 100
    Perhaps the government is grasping that, the longer this goes on, the more unpopular decisions will need to be made in the longer-term, which could irrevocably alienate the people of e.g. Blyth Valley.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052

Scott_xP said:

Golly, I'm shocked after all the upbeat and optimistic predictions for the SNP and Sturgeon on here and other places. That's put a real downer on my day and no mistake!
    Wonder what the daily test level was for Scotland yesterday - hasn't increased capacity in a month.

Perhaps that is why these ludicrous dead cat announcements come out at the daily broadcast from the dear leader.
    eadric said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/28/australia-called-gum-stuck-to-chinas-shoe-by-state-media-in-coronavirus-investigation-stoush

Australia has been described as “gum stuck to the bottom of China’s shoe,” by a Chinese state media editor as Beijing criticised calls for an inquiry into the coronavirus origin as “political manoeuvring,” further straining ties.

Whatever you think of Beijing, that’s a brilliant national insult. Vividly metaphorical yet also geographically sort-of true

Xi Jinping, I salute you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3BO6GP9NMY

eadric said:

Yes, Sweden is over its peak almost certainly. Both daily deaths and new cases trending gently down.

https://twitter.com/paul_imanuelsen/status/1255106367276355584?s=21

This is NOT what Doctor Ferguson predicted. It maybe tallies with the mad Israeli professor’s opinion that this disease has a natural ebb and flow, lockdowns are less important than we think

The "personal choice over nanny state" argument, yes, but my understanding is that their economy is likely just as damaged as ours.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,161
    Scott_xP said:
    Other than Germany the big european states seem pretty similar.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,161
    justin124 said:

Chgs. w/ 17 Apr

Well sure but it's a prepostetously high lead, it would be astounding to maintain it.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,584
    kinabalu said:

OllyT said:

kamski said:

TGOHF666 said:

eristdoof said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

TOPPING said:

Just a musing on that...

I've got no overlap.

I think this is largely true now. Didn't used to be, but as the awful reality of him as POTUS has dawned on anybody with a brain or a moral compass it has left him with few genuine supporters here in the UK other than the bona fide racist hard right. One does still hear the "terrible but better than Hillary" sentiment around, though. Certainly I hear that more than I would like - which is never - from ostensibly OKish individuals.
    There were a few subsets: pwn the libs, he'll pivot to reasonableness, we need all the friends we can get, and as you say, better than Hils.
    The posts on the weekend after the Tessy and Donald hold hands incident trying to polish that turd are a hoot. I'd like to think some may feel a little queasy now, but I fear for certain folk it's still about the the only thing they liked about Theresa May.
This discussion has been closed.