Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Chances are that for half of all the votes will have been c

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

kle4 said:

So the pope setting another of his recent predecessors on the path to Sainthood I see - getting dangerously close to Roman Emperor actions indeclaring predecessors and then themselves as gods here, isn't he?

Well, they have usurped the title of Pontifex Maximus (once held by C Julius Caesar) so nothing surprises me. Maybe for balance he should declare one of the Borgia popes as damnatio memoriae.

Aw, some of the Borgia popes must have done some good in their time, surely? Didn't Alexander VI declare that the peoples' of the New World could not be made slaves (not that that made things easier for them), but I could be wrong on that one.

Russian entry was good. Better than the Ukranian one, which I've caught up on.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002

RobD said:

Think I might have to lie down ....

The Polish bewbs?
    According to the comments on YouTube, the tits are ironic.

"Are the tits ironic? Dont you think?" - Alanis Morrisette

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Indeed, Mr. StClare. Imagine a new face on coins, on stamps, and new words to the national anthem. It'll be bloody weird.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Socrates said:

Just watched the Question Time for this week. I thought Farage performed better than usual. Two killer points were that the Tories want Turkey and its 70 million people to get access to free movement across Europe, and that in all 50 odd big decisions where the UK went to fight what was going on in the EU, it lost all of them.

The other thing that became apparent to me is that it seemed so obvious the audience was strongly split down the middle on this, but that Farage was on one side of that divide, and all the other panel members were all on the other. I assumed UKIP were near their ceiling, but I really don't think that's the case at all any more.

There'll be certain PBers and others that will continue to say That UKIP will get no seats at the GE even if they poll 30%. UNS and Baxter have crippled their thought processes.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

My favourite tweet of the night

Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK 2m

One is actually still Queen of France but keeps it quiet at moments like this. Awkward. #Eurovision

Awesome. - I'll miss her when Charlie takes over.
    It's a spoof account.
    Really…? - Slovenia on now, not bad, certainly not the worst.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,583
    A major Coalition row broke out last night after Liberal Democrats accused Michael Gove of raiding £400million from a fund to ease overcrowding in classrooms to “lavish” on his flagship “free schools”.

David Laws, the Lib Dem Schools Minister, was said to have raised serious concerns after the Education Secretary proposed using the money to fill an £800million shortfall in the budget for the free schools.

However, Mr Gove overruled Mr Laws and senior Lib Dems are now furious that the Education Secretary has put his “ideological” obsession with free schools ahead of the need for more school places.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/liberaldemocrats/10822567/Michael-Gove-and-David-Laws-at-war-over-free-schools.html
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Socrates said:

MikeK said:

http://www.ukipdaily.com/channel-4s-approach-ukip/#.U26ABa1dWoc
    If you read this story It may just turn your stomach.

How outrageous that Channel 4 had such a guy on. Can you imagine what would happen if they had a guest on that said he didn't care about black lives? Sickening. If he hates Britain so much, can we just revoke his passport next time he takes a trip abroad?
    I watched that in the week with my jaw on the deck

The "Jeremy Clarkson should be executed" tweets are surely enough for him to be charged with some kind of intimidatory offence?

• Options
    isam said:

This woman must be a UKIP plant

Britons 'too ignorant' for EU referendum:

"Britons are too ignorant about Europe to vote in a referendum on the subject, a top Brussels official claimed last night.

Viviane Reding, vice-president of the European Commission, said the British debate about Europe was so ‘distorted’ that people could not make an ‘informed decision’ about whether or not to stay in the EU.

Mrs Reding - who boasted that 70 per cent of the UK’s laws are now made in Brussels - also rubbished David Cameron’s bid to curb immigration from Europe, saying it was incompatible with membership of the EU.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556397/Britons-ignorant-EU-referendum-Top-official-says-debate-Europe-distorted-people-not-make-informed-decision.html#ixzz31LV4CnJx

As someone for who fear tactics about what might happen to us if we left the EU usually works, I'm inclined to agree. The EU needs to stop her spewing forth her opinions, as she seems to embody to an insane degree the entitled, arrogant bureaucrats who have nothing but contempt for anyone who is less than fervent in their desire for ever closer and expanding union, which of course is why Cameron's desire for reform can never succeed, when the bureacrats have no inclination to hide contempt for any who express any criticism.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Indeed, Mr. StClare. Imagine a new face on coins, on stamps, and new words to the national anthem. It'll be bloody weird.

His Majesty's Ship, His Majesty's Treasury... etc. Strange
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Eurovision seems even more bonkers than normal?
  • Options

My favourite tweet of the night

Elizabeth Windsor ‏@Queen_UK 2m

One is actually still Queen of France but keeps it quiet at moments like this. Awkward. #Eurovision

Awesome. - I'll miss her when Charlie takes over.
    It's a spoof account.
    Really…? - Slovenia on now, not bad, certainly not the worst.
    Don't worry, TSE is wrapped up in euro mania ;)
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806

Mr. Eagles, you are a silly fellow.

Mr. Pubgoer, Azerbaijan just isn't in Europe.

It is.

I once wrote an email explaining why Russia was in Europe and thus our closest ally in Europe

(Basically I said The UK and Russia are the bookends of Europe that keep the Germans in their place)
    Hmm, that's not quite consistent with the saying about the purpose of NATO - "to keep the Russians out, the Americans in and the Germans down".

• Options
    MikeK said:

Socrates said:

Just watched the Question Time for this week. I thought Farage performed better than usual. Two killer points were that the Tories want Turkey and its 70 million people to get access to free movement across Europe, and that in all 50 odd big decisions where the UK went to fight what was going on in the EU, it lost all of them.

The other thing that became apparent to me is that it seemed so obvious the audience was strongly split down the middle on this, but that Farage was on one side of that divide, and all the other panel members were all on the other. I assumed UKIP were near their ceiling, but I really don't think that's the case at all any more.

There'll be certain PBers and others that will continue to say That UKIP will get no seats at the GE even if they poll 30%.
    I suppose it's possible, but my totally unscientific gut feeling is that while they'd struggle to gain a seat with 5-10% unless they get lucky, much higher than that and there must be decent odds that enough votes will come together in one seat to be in with a good chance.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    RobD said:

New cap badges, insignia with The King's Crown replacing The Queen's Crown - police, RN, RAF, Army etc.

• Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

So the pope setting another of his recent predecessors on the path to Sainthood I see - getting dangerously close to Roman Emperor actions indeclaring predecessors and then themselves as gods here, isn't he?

The popes claim to be superior in dignity and authority to emperors, with the power to depose them, whereupon it becomes lawful for their subjects to murder them. The dogma that the pope has a plenitude of power, without limit of weight, number or measure was arrived at centuries before the doctrine of "papal infallibility". That false monk Hildebrand [occasionally known as pope Gregory VII] is still a "saint" in their superstitious cult. He decreed in the Dictatus Papae that 'all princes shall kiss the feet' of the pope, 'it may be permitted to him to depose emperors', '[t]hat he himself may be judged by no one', '[t]hat the Roman church has never erred; nor will it err to all eternity', and '[t]hat he may absolve subjects from their fealty to wicked men'. Mind you, this latest piece of idolatry is extraordinary even by the standards of the popish church. Paul VI? Next they will make Boniface VIII or Julius II a "saint"...
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RobD said:

Moving from Queen's Counsel and QC to King's Counsel and KCs will be bloody weird, and lead to a change of quite a few websites, email addresses, business cards and one or two number plates.
  • Options
    FYI - There's a survation poll out this evening.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mr. Town, in the ancient world the people had a practical approach to religion, which was largely about ritual and ceremonies. Morality was more down to philosophy such as stoicism, gnosticism etc. Can't help but feel that's a healthier approach than wrapping religious belief up with morality.

Edited extra bit: ahem, to make the link: the pontiff changed dramatically from the ancient world to the papacy of the Catholic Church.

Second edited bit: on the other hand, the ancient world also went into human sacrifice and exposure of infants considered too imperfect.
  • Options

RobD said:

Moving from Queen's Counsel and QC to King's Counsel and KCs will be bloody weird, and lead to a change of quite a few websites, email addresses, business cards and one or two number plates.
    That must be one of the only changes which will require things to actually be changed. Luckily HM is the same for both sexes.
  • Options

Is it a Newark poll for MoS?

• Options
    dr_spyn said:

RobD said:

New cap badges, insignia with The King's Crown replacing The Queen's Crown - police, RN, RAF, Army etc.

The crown is different?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

That must be one of the only changes which will require things to actually be changed. Luckily HM is the same for both sexes.
    I know someone who has pre-empted it by getting a private number plate with "KC" in it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    isam said:

"Britons are too ignorant about Europe to vote in a referendum on the subject, a top Brussels official claimed last night.

Viviane Reding, vice-president of the European Commission, said the British debate about Europe was so ‘distorted’ that people could not make an ‘informed decision’ about whether or not to stay in the EU.

Mrs Reding - who boasted that 70 per cent of the UK’s laws are now made in Brussels - also rubbished David Cameron’s bid to curb immigration from Europe, saying it was incompatible with membership of the EU.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2556397/Britons-ignorant-EU-referendum-Top-official-says-debate-Europe-distorted-people-not-make-informed-decision.html#ixzz31LV4CnJx

Agent Reding works hard for our cause.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

Westminster and Euros.
  • Options
    You still see the occasional postbox or the like with incorrect monarch sigils on them, so I guess they don't always change everything that might require it. Cost issue probably.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Just read the BBC story on Take That's taxes.

I might be missing something, but isn't tax avoidance (by definition, and as opposed to tax evasion) legal?

There is a general presumption that schemes designed specifically to take advantage of tax breaks by mimicking the form but not the intention of Inland Revenue arrangements can be looked through for tax purposes.

I don't know the details of the Take That scheme, but similar schemes I have seen before involve:

- Individual "investing" £20,000 of their own money in company A
    - Individual borrowing £80,000 from a bank and investing it in company A on a non-recourse basis (ie they are not liable for it). The company invests this £80,000 into UK government debt
    - Individual reclaiming £40,000 income tax
    - The £20,000 "profit" then split between the broker and the individual
    - If the company makes money, that's fantastic and everyone makes money (tax free)
    - If the company loses money then the bank gets their money back, and the individual claims tax loses on the £100,000 investment

Technically speaking, they may be legal, but they are DAF. I never invested in them and would never return a call from someone who pitched the idea to me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

You still see the occasional postbox or the like with incorrect monarch sigils on them, so I guess they don't always change everything that might require it. Cost issue probably.

I don't think they replace them, only new ones have the correct monogram.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Socrates said:

I went to an MEP candidate debate the other night.

The panel seemed to be split with the Green-Labour-LD candidates on one side, and Dan Hannan and Alan Stevens (UKIP) on the other.

The first 10 (?) minutes were a bit odd, because the Green-Labour-LD candidates all seemed to be desperate to slag off Mr Farage (who wasn't present).
  • Options

kle4 said:

The popes claim to be superior in dignity and authority to emperors, with the power to depose them, whereupon it becomes lawful for their subjects to murder them. The dogma that the pope has a plenitude of power, without limit of weight, number or measure was arrived at centuries before the doctrine of "papal infallibility". That false monk Hildebrand [occasionally known as pope Gregory VII] is still a "saint" in their superstitious cult. He decreed in the Dictatus Papae that 'all princes shall kiss the feet' of the pope, 'it may be permitted to him to depose emperors', '[t]hat he himself may be judged by no one', '[t]hat the Roman church has never erred; nor will it err to all eternity', and '[t]hat he may absolve subjects from their fealty to wicked men'. Mind you, this latest piece of idolatry is extraordinary even by the standards of the popish church. Paul VI? Next they will make Boniface VIII or Julius II a "saint"...
    Truly, the Pope is Antichrist. Mystery, Babylon the Great, the Mother of Harlots, and Abominations of Earth.

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Ah, I see. Much more sensible - must have been far fewer postboxes in the pre Elizabeth II days.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, cheers. Such financial thingummyjigs are far beyond me.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Westminster and Euros.
    Oh.

UKIP on 90% for Euro's?

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Westminster and Euros.
    Oh.

UKIP on 90% for Euro's?

You'll find out later on this evening.
  • Options
    Must say, having come in half way through, a little disappointed at the lack of ambition of some of these Euro entries in terms of ridiculous stage performances. Even if a song is awful, if they go all out on the absurd performances on stage I can respect that, like awful modern art that at least clearly took a lot of effort.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

Ah, I see. Much more sensible - must have been far fewer postboxes in the pre Elizabeth II days.
    Similarly notes and coins won't be instantly decommissioned (coins especially). I'd expect a gradual change to the new boss.
  • Options
    Mr. F, there's an argument that Satan is the good guy.

There are quite a few similarities between the heroic Prometheus and the despised Lucifer (one brought fire/technology, the other the fruit of knowledge). Leonidas fought when he knew defeat was certain, and we laud him, but attack Satan for doing the same.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017
    isam said:

Socrates said:

MikeK said:

http://www.ukipdaily.com/channel-4s-approach-ukip/#.U26ABa1dWoc
    If you read this story It may just turn your stomach.

How outrageous that Channel 4 had such a guy on. Can you imagine what would happen if they had a guest on that said he didn't care about black lives? Sickening. If he hates Britain so much, can we just revoke his passport next time he takes a trip abroad?
    I watched that in the week with my jaw on the deck

The "Jeremy Clarkson should be executed" tweets are surely enough for him to be charged with some kind of intimidatory offence?

Well, waving a banner with "behead the enemies of Islam" on it is an offence, so what he says probably is as well. Personally I don't think either should be, neither should posting inflammatory tweets about dead teachers, but then I have a quaint belief in freedom of speech.

• Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I agree. Freedom of speech must include the freedom to be offensive.

That's not to say incitement to violence or riot, for example, should be legal, but being bloody obnoxious should be.
  • Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

At least C3R will be correct in both England and Scotland (JackW might disagree). Liz will presumably become Elizabeth I & II on Scottish independence.

• Options

Mr. Lilburne, I agree. Freedom of speech must include the freedom to be offensive.

That's not to say incitement to violence or riot, for example, should be legal, but being bloody obnoxious should be.

Freedom of speech up to a point. Freedom to be offensive, yes, but to say "X should be killed" oversteps the mark IMO
  • Options

Mr. F, there's an argument that Satan is the good guy.

There are quite a few similarities between the heroic Prometheus and the despised Lucifer (one brought fire/technology, the other the fruit of knowledge). Leonidas fought when he knew defeat was certain, and we laud him, but attack Satan for doing the same.

Satan's more like Nyarlthotep. He's malicious, and enjoys getting one's soul for nothing.

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Speedy said:

My reaction to todays opinium poll is that UKIP are barking up the wrong tree, last May they were on 21% with the tories on 26% in opinium. In FPTP systems which favors a 2 party system outpolling one of the big two hugely increases your chances to replace them as a big party.UKIP should be targeting the Conservatives for a crossover, by targeting Labour votes they only increased the distance between UKIP and CON when UKIP is polling at similar figures, before they needed to be at 24% for a crossover now they need 26%.
    Plus all of UKIP potencial target seats are tory and LD seats, none are Labour seats.

As I understand it, UKIP's current goal is to get Labour to commit to an in/out referendum. Taking votes directly from Labour is the best pressure they can bring.

This year's local elections will give UKIP their 2015 targets. Their positioning may change to fit that.

• Options

Hear hear.
  • Options
    Mr. Fear, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask to be educated. -hotep makes it sound Egyptian.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Yes, I'm meeting lots of people who say they've voted already, and most people are now focused on the Euros - if you ask first how they'll vote in the General, they look surprised. I'm meeting maybe 1 in 10 who say they normally vote but won't bother for this, but otherwise there's quite a bit of interest, and many voters who say they know for sure how they'll vote in 2015 are hesitating over this. UKIP definitely have an edge in leaflets already distributed, but they do have a class bias - I'm meeting very few middle-class Kippers except for a modest number of very ideological former Tories. That's likely to be a problem for them in Newark.

Practical question - what time does the Euro count start on the Sunday? Is it the same everywhere?

I've posted a comment on the VoteUK discussion forum to see whether any of the anoraks on there know the answer.
  • Options

Mr. Fear, I'm afraid I'm going to have to ask to be educated. -hotep makes it sound Egyptian.

HP Lovecraft

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nyarlathotep
  • Options

Being a Stoic, I don't really believe in incitement. If someone calls me a twat, it is still entirely my choice to punch them. If we are to have incitement laws, it should have to be specific incitement to commit specific offences against specific individuals. To prove I am not a soft touch, I think people who go abroad to fight for al-Qaeda or its affiliates should be prosecuted for treason under the 1351 Act "adhering to the Queen's enemies in her Realm, giving them aid and comfort in her Realm or elsewhere"
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Mr. Eagles, ah, I've only only ever read The Mountains of Madness (if I recall the name rightly). Interesting, but not really my genre.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Lilburne, would you have prosecuted those who, in 2011, were actively trying to encourage more rioting in England via social media?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Will pragmatism rule the day? http://www.godfreydykes.info/RN_BUTTONS_AND_BADGES.htm There are differences in the shape of the crowns on cap badges, buttons etc.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    This is off the Ceredigion.gov.uk website

The electoral region of Wales is broken down into 22 local counting areas based on county/county borough boundaries. The administrative process is overseen by the Regional Returning Officer assisted by 22 Local Returning Officers for each local counting area.

Following the close of poll on 22nd May 2014 ballot papers will be verified locally by the Local Returning Officers and the results forwarded to the Regional Returning Officer to compile the total votes cast and establish the regional turnout. Ballot papers are then sealed for counting on Sunday 25th May by Local Returning Officers.

When they have completed the counting, Local Returning Officers will inform the Regional Returning Officer of the result of the count in their counting area.

Once the Regional Returning Officer has received all of the results from each local counting area he will announce the regional result for Wales. Local results cannot be announced before 9.00pm on 25th May 2014 as this is the time that polls close in some parts of Europe.

_ BBC Coverage of the results start at 11pm until 3am
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited May 2014
    Like this Dutch entry, country meets early Fleetwood Mac. Definitely one to watch in the voting perhaps? Don't think this year's field is as strong as last years.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    A different take on ukip from A Very British Dude....
    http://www.brackenworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/oderint-dum-metuant.html
  • Options
    This Molly number is playing better with me on repeat hearings, but it still isn't clicking together into something great I feel.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, ah, I've only only ever read The Mountains of Madness (if I recall the name rightly). Interesting, but not really my genre.

Edited extra bit: Mr. Lilburne, would you have prosecuted those who, in 2011, were actively trying to encourage more rioting in England via social media?

No, but I would have happily fired volleys into the rioters.

• Options
    Some 27% of voters correctly named José Manuel Barroso as president of the European Commission, and 23% correctly identified Herman Van Rompuy as president of the European Council. Almost one in five (19%) thought, however, that Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, was president of the European Commission.

I am frankly amazed that so many got the positions of Barroso and Rompuy correct (I myself have to take moment to really think about it to be sure), particularly given the amount who got Chancellor Merkel's position incorrect.

• Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    Would an independent Scotland win a Eurovision Song Contest staged under AV?

The perfect PB thread @TSE?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

No, but I would have happily fired volleys into the rioters.

Nahh. They'd have just stolen a tennis racket and smashed it back.
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    So far I've received Euro election campaign leaflets from UKIP, AIFE, BNP and Greens. Plus local election leaflets from Labour and TUSC. Nothing at all from Conservatives and Liberal Democrats in either the Euro or the locals contests and nothing from Labour on the Euros or from UKIP on the locals.

Astonishing how slow off the mark some of the major parties are considering the postal voting issue.
  • Options
    Well, I must have listened about half of the entries, and Russia's was the best one I heard.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    kle4 said:

This Molly number is playing better with me on repeat hearings, but it still isn't clicking together into something great I feel.

Agree, I'm afraid it's not the best - Personally I'd pick Sweden and despite the white socks, Mrs SSC has plumped for Denmark.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,368
    kle4 said:

Some 27% of voters correctly named José Manuel Barroso as president of the European Commission, and 23% correctly identified Herman Van Rompuy as president of the European Council. Almost one in five (19%) thought, however, that Angela Merkel, the German Chancellor, was president of the European Commission.

I am frankly amazed that so many got the positions of Barroso and Rompuy correct (I myself have to take moment to really think about it to be sure), particularly given the amount who got Chancellor Merkel's position incorrect.

Yes, though they seemingly were given a choice of 3, so guesses may have played a role. Interesting that 43% think the European Parliament important (vs 37% who disagree) - some here have suggested a greater level of lack of interest. Perhaps I'll win my bet with DavidL (higher turnout this time)!

• Options
    The sighting of a Syrian opposition flag in a 2001 episode of The Simpsons is proof the United States is behind the country’s civil war, an Egyptian television channel has claimed.

A report on Al-Tahrir TV featured an episode of the Fox show called New Kids On The Blecch which originally aired more than 13 years ago.

http://www.sundaytimes.lk/140511/sunday-times-2/simpsons-stirred-syrian-civil-war-claims-egyptian-tv-98655.html
  • Options
    I have just realised, if that is a picture of OGH posting his ballot, he is sporting a natty shade of nail varnish.
  • Options
    perdix said:

A different take on ukip from A Very British Dude....
    http://www.brackenworld.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/oderint-dum-metuant.html

A Very British Dude is A Very Obvious Troll.

• Options

kle4 said:

Agree, I'm afraid it's not the best - Personally I'd pick Sweden and despite the white socks, Mrs SSC has plumped for Denmark.
    Sweden's was good, a very powerful performance. Not usually my type of song, but Greece's was catchy as well.
  • Options
    I'll never be able to hear Ode to Joy without remembering *this*
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,132
    Sean_F said:

isam said:

Agent Reding works hard for our cause.

The Reding mentality is reminiscent of the Scargill mentality re union democracy and the Charles mentality re shareholder democracy.

*** only joking Charles ***

• Options
    The big question - will the LDs manage 12% at the GE? :p
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    marke09 said:

This is off the Ceredigion.gov.uk website

The electoral region of Wales is broken down into 22 local counting areas based on county/county borough boundaries. The administrative process is overseen by the Regional Returning Officer assisted by 22 Local Returning Officers for each local counting area.

Following the close of poll on 22nd May 2014 ballot papers will be verified locally by the Local Returning Officers and the results forwarded to the Regional Returning Officer to compile the total votes cast and establish the regional turnout. Ballot papers are then sealed for counting on Sunday 25th May by Local Returning Officers.

When they have completed the counting, Local Returning Officers will inform the Regional Returning Officer of the result of the count in their counting area.

Once the Regional Returning Officer has received all of the results from each local counting area he will announce the regional result for Wales. Local results cannot be announced before 9.00pm on 25th May 2014 as this is the time that polls close in some parts of Europe.

_ BBC Coverage of the results start at 11pm until 3am

The time when results can first be declared has been modified to 10pm because Italy decided to extend voting times by an extra hour recently.

I'm guessing the count in most places will begin after lunch on Sunday, at about 2pm. There's no point in starting earlier because they can't declare the results until 10pm.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    According to Sunday Times front page PM wants woman to lead BBC
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    Just catching up on Eurovision where they played excerpts from all the songs - not many stood out*- but the Danish production seems stunning - and they had Casper commenting.....

* Poland looked very odd...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

All you need to remember is that if something seems to be free money, then it's probably DAF.
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    Charles said:

All you need to remember is that if something seems to be free money, then it's probably DAF.
    DAF - Department of Agriculture and Fisheries?
  • Options
    What a ridiculous day to count - means the results come through on a Monday morning.

That's the great glory of UK elections. The results come through early morning Friday and you only have one sleep starved day to endure at work before the weekend.

US sucks too. Tuesday. Why?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,387
    Switched on for the voting part. Iceland?? Seriously? I think TSE is losing it.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Polly Toynbee?

• Options
    fitalass said:

Like this Dutch entry, country meets early Fleetwood Mac. Definitely one to watch in the voting perhaps? Don't think this year's field is as strong as last years.

We liked the Dutch in Chez GIN.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Two killer points were that the Tories want Turkey and its 70 million people to get access to free movement across Europe, and that in all 50 odd big decisions where the UK went to fight what was going on in the EU, it lost all of them.

On my postal ballot I'm informed that the Conservative Party stands for 'Real change in Europe'.

Perhaps one of the Conservative cheerleaders here could give explain what that means and why the present Conservative MEPs haven't already achieved this 'real change'.

One real change though is that the Conservative Party's first candidate of 2009 is now the LibDem's first candidate of 2014.

Plus ca change etc

Doubtless if he loses he'll be given a place in the House of Lords.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Switched on for the voting part. Iceland?? Seriously? I think TSE is losing it.

Has been a great trading bet!
  • Options
    Next said:

Charles said:

DAF - Department of Agriculture and Fisheries?
    Don't Ask Financier
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    BobaFett said:

What a ridiculous day to count - means the results come through on a Monday morning.

That's the great glory of UK elections. The results come through early morning Friday and you only have one sleep starved day to endure at work before the weekend.

US sucks too. Tuesday. Why?

One thing I always wondered is why local elections happen on the same day. Surely local authorities should be able to hold elections on any day they like, as long as they happen with the frequency set down by law?

• Options

marke09 said:

Polly Toynbee?

Why not Cameron said she was the best media columnist.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

Socrates said:

Two killer points were that the Tories want Turkey and its 70 million people to get access to free movement across Europe, and that in all 50 odd big decisions where the UK went to fight what was going on in the EU, it lost all of them.

On my postal ballot I'm informed that the Conservative Party stands for 'Real change in Europe'.

Perhaps one of the Conservative cheerleaders here could give explain what that means and why the present Conservative MEPs haven't already achieved this 'real change'.

One real change though is that the Conservative Party's first candidate of 2009 is now the LibDem's first candidate of 2014.

Plus ca change etc

Real Change = 70m more poor people in Europe

What realer change would you like than that?

• Options

Socrates said:

Plus ca change etc

I think that people who lose elections should not be allowed to be appointed to the Lords. If we reject them, they should stay rejected.

• Options

Socrates said:

I think its just a printing error.

The Conservative Party
    [We want, but cannot get] real change in Europe.

There we go.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    RobD said:

The big question - will the LDs manage 12% at the GE? :p

I would buy 12%. I might even buy 13%. I would not buy 14%. And I would certainly be selling 15% or above.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Polly Toynbee?

Either Baroness Hogg, Patience Wheatcroft, Diane Coyle or Marjorie Scardino
  • Options

marke09 said:

Polly Toynbee?

Either Baroness Hogg, Patience Wheatcroft, Diane Coyle or Marjorie Scardino
    Who?

• Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,014

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    The other thing I found funny on that QT episode, is that all the politicians from the other four parties seemed to acknowledge that trust in politicians had collapsed, but none of them could really say why. When really, there was a crystal clear example in the first question: they were asked whether we could control our borders inside the EU, and Farage was the only one that could give a straight answer on it. The same thing happened twenty minutes later, when a man asked whether they felt Eastern European immigration had been too much. Other than Farage, none of them wanted to say their actual view.
  • Options

marke09 said:

Polly Toynbee?

She'd be too right wing for Cameron. Maybe Zoe Williams or Anna Soubry.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Yeah, dreary song by a chap in a dress wins..! UK needs Lily Savage to come out of retirement.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Something tells me that there is going to be another Take That tour sooner rather than later...

Just read the BBC story on Take That's taxes.

I might be missing something, but isn't tax avoidance (by definition, and as opposed to tax evasion) legal?

This discussion has been closed.