Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Chances are that for half of all the votes will have been c

Comments

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

She missed that feature..she has: born locally

A stunning example of advanced forward thinking by her (presumably Labour grandee) parents!
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Talking of Eurovulsion, my pub is 100% Eurovision free, please do pop down and not be one of the millions of morons watching it.
    It's funny cos it's a proxy for war and hatred, with stupid outfits,
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,017
    Tony Parsons writing in GQ

"There is a democracy deficiency at the heart of the EU and this will be its downfall.

The loss of national sovereignty. The unelected- leaders. The wanton corruption. The way you have to get into line with the citizens of 27 other nations when you fly into your own country. Nobody in Britain ever voted for that. It was shoved down our throats. And even if Nigel Farage and his band of merry fruitcakes vanish later this afternoon that will still be true.

One minute Cameron was promising to lead "the -greenest government ever". The next, responding to Miliband's promise to freeze energy bills if elected prime minister, Cameron allegedly ordered aides to "get rid of all the green crap" that pushes up energy bills.

What does Cameron really think about green crap? What does he really believe about Europe? What does he believe about anything? I have no idea. Perhaps he doesn't know either. And that is why it is impossible to imagine the Conservative Party and UKIP forging a broad right-wing alliance to keep out the Dead Eds of Miliband and Balls. For anyone to seriously trust Cameron to get tough with Europe, they really would have to be a -fruitcake. Cameron is offering a sticking plaster to a man who has been decapitated."

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/comment/articles/2014-05/08/tony-parsons-ukip-federal-europe
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    Neil said:

Standard CV for a Labour wannabee

I have put a timer until the first person to mention "child of a current Labour grandee?". Sweepstake anyone?

I have prepared a PBC buzzer in the style of the QI claxon for when this happens.
    I thought grandee was the term typically used for Tories. For the life of me I can't remember what the Labour equivalent was.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Neil said:

I have put a timer until the first person to mention "child of a current Labour grandee?". Sweepstake anyone?

I have prepared a PBC buzzer in the style of the QI claxon for when this happens.
    I thought grandee was the term typically used for Tories. For the life of me I can't remember what the Labour equivalent was.
    Shop steward
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    it's Labour stalwart, I think
  • Options
    Expectations management?

Roger Helmer ‏@RogerHelmerMEP 1h

Labour activist in Newark Market Square: "We expect to come third in the Newark by-election". R.
  • Options
    isam said:

Tony Parsons writing in GQ...

What does he really believe about Europe? What does he believe about anything? I have no idea. Perhaps he doesn't know either.

It is very difficult to find a single issue where Cameron has taken a principled and consistent stand throughout his time in politics. I certainly can't think of one.
  • Options
    Yes - but when New Labour came along they changed all the Labour terms to Tory ones. We really should have known what they were going to be like before they even came to power.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Sean_F said:

MrJones said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. Eagles, you could have the doors loudly closed and then a string quartet start to play The Rains of Castamere.

I was told I could be best man on the strict condition I did NOT get involved with any of the music at the wedding, or go within 500 yards of the DJ at the evening event.
    I wonder if anyone plays the Rains of Castamere at weddings.

Last year, 160 American babies were named Khaleesi.
    Bad move if Martin turns her into a psycho cannibal in a later book.
    The omens aren't great. Her Modus Operandi so far includes live burning, mass executions, mass crucifixion, and torture on an industrial scale.
    Yeah and given how his mind seems to work if he lives long enough she'll end up being the worst character.

They should have picked Arwen.
  • Options
    Polish council candidate Przemek Skwirczynski: Ukip is the natural choice of eastern Europeans

http://www.croydonguardian.co.uk/news/11203895.display/?ref=twtrec
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,636
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Do you have a buzzer for Jack Dromey and All Women Shortlist?
    I've a big, gay YELLOW CARD for that eventuality. If that happens to cause an outrage-induced electrical surge in the Cumbernauld area it wont be my fault.

Why do I get the feeling I've started the Eurovision drinking far too early and am likely to end up swearing at people in the small hours? Or in Bournemouth.
    Eurovision drinking games haven't been the same since Sir Terry stopped doing Eurovision.

You only swear at people in the small hours, when I announce I've backed Ireland to win at the rugby.

If either Iceland, Ukraine, Austria or The UK win tonight's Eurovision, I shall put all my winnings on Ireland winning the six nations and world cup next year.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Admirably non-ideological! and part of a longstanding Conservative tradition.

isam said:

Tony Parsons writing in GQ...

What does he really believe about Europe? What does he believe about anything? I have no idea. Perhaps he doesn't know either.

It is very difficult to find a single issue where Cameron has taken a principled and consistent stand throughout his time in politics. I certainly can't think of one.
  • Options
    @TSE

My facebook newsfeed says Austria but we all know that a prejudice-reinforcing source ;)

I have sadly not asked my friend who is often a talking head on telly about Eurovision (he's not famous, he's just the single biggest Eurovision fan in the world) who he is backing as to start him on a Eurovision conversation is to sacrifice the entire evening out. No winning tip is worth that.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited May 2014
    Thank gawd the football season ends tomorrow... for my lot at least.

Time for the much awaited cross-over poll this week to mark that celebration I feel...
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

She missed that feature..she has: born locally, moved to London, worked for an MP, for a Kinnock, for Sarah Brown, for Oxfam

Neil said:

Neil's got his party back. Last month Stephen and now darling Jo ;
    Rt Hon. Lord Neil Kinnock, former Labour Leader
    “Jo is Labour to the core. I’ve seen her fight for Labour’s values in this country and around the world. In my time I’ve seen a lot of campaigners, very few are as impressive as Jo.”

• Options
    edited May 2014
    Neil said:

@TSE

My facebook newsfeed says Austria but we all know that a prejudice-reinforcing source ;)

I have sadly not asked my friend who is often a talking head on telly about Eurovision (he's not famous, he's just the single biggest Eurovision fan in the world) who he is backing as to start him on a Eurovision conversation is to sacrifice the entire evening out. No winning tip is worth that.

My wife has scheduled a girls night out 80 miles away from me this evening, so she won't have to watch "that fecking shite"

As a friend put it, "A bloke with dodgy facial hair from Austria dominating Europe never ends well does it?"
  • Options

Neil said:

@TSE

My wife has scheduled a girls night out 80 miles away from me this evening, so she won't have to watch "that fecking shite"

As a friend put it, "A bloke with dodgy facial hair from Austria dominating Europe never ends well does it?"
    She is wise. On this, and little else, I agree with Nigel.
  • Options
    OMG, I'm shocked, shocked, I guess no one ever guessed this.

Tory MP Michael Fabricant admits to hair 'enhancement'

Michael Fabricant, the MP who was sacked as vice-chairman of the Conservative Party last month, admits that his impressive crop of hair might not be entirely natural

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10821863/Tory-MP-Michael-Fabricant-admits-to-hair-enhancement.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130
    isam said:

The way you have to get into line with the citizens of 27 other nations when you fly into your own country. Nobody in Britain ever voted for that.

That is the most astonishing reason I've ever heard for anyone to vote UKIP.
  • Options

OMG, I'm shocked, shocked, I guess no one ever guessed this.

Tory MP Michael Fabricant admits to hair 'enhancement'

Michael Fabricant, the MP who was sacked as vice-chairman of the Conservative Party last month, admits that his impressive crop of hair might not be entirely natural

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/10821863/Tory-MP-Michael-Fabricant-admits-to-hair-enhancement.html

I have images of a disturbing dystopian future in which androids with great mops of hair rule us. They are called Fabricants.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010
    Off out - going to leave £50 up at 30-1 on Iceland for the Eurovision ;)
  • Options

There is nothing admirable about having no principles.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Westminster Poll Alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 17s

Ukip at 20% (+2) in new Opinium/Obs poll. Labour 33 (-1), Con 29 (-3), Lib Dems 9 (+2). Farage surge maintained.
  • Options

Poll Alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 17s

Ukip at 20% (+2) in new Opinium/Obs poll. Labour 33 (-1), Con 29 (-3), Lib Dems 9 (+2). Farage surge maintained.

That must be Westminster not Euro VI?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,130

There is nothing admirable about having no principles.
    Although I'd argue that having the wrong principles is better than no principles at all!
  • Options

Poll Alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 17s

20% :O !
  • Options
    Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 46s

Only one in ten can name an MEP in their regions. See Opinium poll tomorrow .
  • Options

Poll Alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 17s

That must be Westminster not Euro VI?
    It is.

Edited my post to reflect that.
  • Options

Thank gawd the football season ends tomorrow... for my lot at least.

Time for the much awaited cross-over poll this week to mark that celebration I feel...

Crossover for the Tories and the Kippers from the looks of that Opinium !
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    isam said:

Expectations management?

Labour activist in Newark Market Square: "We expect to come third in the Newark by-election". R.

He could just be making it up, of course.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RobD said:

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

Final result in South Africa shows that the ANC didn't quite manage to hit a 40% majority:

http://www.news24.com/Elections/Results#map=live

Good to see they finally got their numbers right...
    Is SA the country with the most one-sided free elections?
    Depends on the definition of 'free', to some extent. Bhutan, Botswana, Madagascar, Sri Lanka, to mention a few, have fairly lop-sided elections.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Although I'd argue that having the wrong principles is better than no principles at all!

To use a wretched scholastic distinction, that is true per se but not per accidens. For instance, I rather prefer "pragmatic" and unprincipled politicians in this country to committed Marxist-Leninist ideologues!
  • Options

Neil's got his party back.

Sorry to disappoint you, Moniker! I've never been a member or given a Labour candidate anything better than a second preference in any election.

Right - I'm logging off before the post quality falls any further. Have a good evening everyone.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Quincel said:

isam said:

Expectations management?

If Labour come third, that will be a really bad result for them.

I've been giving this some thought. My par result for a by-election is:

Con 40
    Lab 30
    UKIP 20

Labour get most of the Lib Dem vote, UKIP get most of the by-election carnival vote. Choosing Roger Helmer should mean that UKIP get less benefit from the carnival vote than they otherwise would. If Labour can't build a Lab/Lib Dem coalition in this constituency that at the very least gets them a decent second, they need to ask some very searching questions of themselves.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Applying UNS Baxter to that poll:

National Prediction: LAB majority 44
    Party 2010 Votes 2010 Seats Pred Votes Gains Losses Pred Seats
    CON 36.97% 307 29.00% 14 72 249
    LAB 29.66% 258 33.00% 89 0 347
    LIB 23.56% 57 9.00% 0 31 26
    UKIP 3.17% 0 20.00% 0 0 0
    NAT 2.26% 9 2.26% 0 0 9
    MIN 0.89% 19 0.89% 1 1 19
    OTH 3.48% 0 5.85% 0 0 0

Conservatives 38% of the seats on 29% of the vote.
    Labour 53% of the seats on 33% of the vote.
    Lib Dems 4% of the seats on 9% of the vote.
    UKIP 0% of the seats on 20% of the vote ! (Though surely Eastleigh is landed if this is the result)
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    antifrank said:

Quincel said:

isam said:

Expectations management?

If Labour come third, that will be a really bad result for them.

I've been giving this some thought. My par result for a by-election is:

Con 40
    Lab 30
    UKIP 20

Labour get most of the Lib Dem vote, UKIP get most of the by-election carnival vote. Choosing Roger Helmer should mean that UKIP get less benefit from the carnival vote than they otherwise would. If Labour can't build a Lab/Lib Dem coalition in this constituency that at the very least gets them a decent second, they need to ask some very searching questions of themselves.
    I think it all depends on if UKIP get that crazy momentum towards election day they have gained on a few occasions so far, and how many Tory voters are either secretly Kippers or will abandon the Tories for Labour/UKIP this time because of Mercer. I honestly find it very hard to call.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    AFP on Yahoo News.

French President Francois Hollande said Saturday the sale of two Mistral warships to Russia would continue "for now" despite the West's worsening relations with Moscow over the Ukraine crisis.

How is this one going to be spun? What happens if Russia wants its new toy to sail via Turkey?
  • Options

Westminster Poll Alert

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 17s

Lab maj of 34 (UNS)

LDs 31 seats
    UKIP 0 seats

• Options
    Anyone have the data tables for the Opinium ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited May 2014
    20% :O !

Was that poll taken before the tories' 'HMRC to plunder your account' monstering? If not, UKIP/tory crossover is not impossible.

I'm starting to think the unthinkable. The tories ditch Cameron and elect a conservative to head them into the election.
  • Options
    Our electoral system is so far bias towards Labour right now !
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Neil said:

Neil said:

Mr. Eagles, I am going to slap you across the face with a large haddock.

Pre-prepared is a horrendous Brownian tautology.

It has been a stressful week, in one week's time, I have to deliver a best man's speech, and so far all I have written is

"Hello, my name is Mr Eagles, and I'm an alcoholi.... oh wait wrong speech"
    How about:

"It is traditional for the best man to tell a few gags at the Bride's expense. But I'm not a traditionalist. You're getting 5 minutes each on the merits of AV and the prospects for Scottish Independence."
    I think I might have to give that a miss.
    Well done for avoiding the biggest mistake of the last best man speech I gave!
    One of the grooms is from Wrexham.

I nearly put in a line about "that memorable weekend in Wrexham"

(Say it out loud)
    My best man described me as the "God of banking":

- never around when there is any work to be done
    - expects all the credit when something goes right
    - but it's your fault if you make a mistake
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sean_F said:

MrJones said:

Sean_F said:

Mr. Eagles, you could have the doors loudly closed and then a string quartet start to play The Rains of Castamere.

I was told I could be best man on the strict condition I did NOT get involved with any of the music at the wedding, or go within 500 yards of the DJ at the evening event.

The omens aren't great. Her Modus Operandi so far includes live burning, mass executions, mass crucifixion, and torture on an industrial scale.
    All in a good cause though...
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Coral ‏@Coral 21s

Big day of Premier League action tomorrow. One shop in Norwich hasn't quite given up hope.

twitter.com/Coral/status/465179818095820800
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

Anyone have the data tables for the Opinium ?

Usually several days before they are posted but they are not very enlightening as they do not ask or weight for past vote .
  • Options
    Conhome is brimming over with stories from people who have had bad experiences with HMRC.

As the newspapers will be over the coming weeks......

• Options

Coral ‏@Coral 21s

Big day of Premier League action tomorrow. One shop in Norwich hasn't quite given up hope.

I'd want 533/1 for Van Wolfswinkel to score first.
  • Options
    Foul up by CBS or confirmation that David Cameron isn't what he claims to be...http://www.cbsnews.com/news/chavez-the-future-of-communism/

Runs to open up pillar box to retrieve postal votes.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Coral ‏@Coral 21s

He scored the first game of the season, their could be a nice symmetry to him scoring in the final game of the season.

Which reminds me, Come On You Hammers!
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,394
    I hope people don't postal vote too early - still got half a dozen leaflet rounds to deliver.....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    Labour will come third in Newark. It's an absolutely nailed-on certainty.

If they're on 33% nationally, they'll be sub-20% in Newark.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    Post the Euro elections, I'd expect to see each of the country's three main parties (Con/Lab/UKIP) polling in the Twenties.
  • Options
    Post the Euro elections, I'd expect to see each of the country's three main parties (Con/Lab/UKIP) polling in the Twenties.

Agreed. could Dave survive that Sean? I'm sure labour will blunder into the elections with Ed given their structure, but I'm starting to wonder for the first time since he got the job if Dave is safe.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Who do you think the 42.3% who voted for Labour and the Lib Dems in 2010 in Newark will vote for?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Such a result could quite possibly be the most disproportional ever in any 'democratic' country...
  • Options

Toby Helm ‏@tobyhelm 46s

Only one in ten can name an MEP in their regions. See Opinium poll tomorrow .

surprised it is that high.

• Options
    I'm in the fortunate position of being able to vote twice in the Euro elections, so I shall vote early and vote often.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

Who do you think the 42.3% who voted for Labour and the Lib Dems in 2010 in Newark will vote for?
    Both will lose a bit to UKIP. Some wealthy LD voters in Southwell will vote Tory to stop UKIP I expect.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

About half of them probably wont vote at all
  • Options
    Charles said:

Sean_F said:

MrJones said:

Sean_F said:

All in a good cause though...
    I think she is destined to be the Walter White of the story.

• Options
    I'm not convinced by either of those arguments. While some Labour and Lib Dem voters may go to UKIP for the carnival, most will coalesce behind Labour in the by-election. The idea that Labour will go backwards when their national polling has gone forwards and they have a clear source of additional votes seems unlikely to me.
  • Options
    But whatever the result in Newark, it will tell us a lot about the likely dynamics of 2015.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

AndyJS said:

The combined vote share for Labour and Lib Dems is down 12% since 2010. So, we should assume their vote share will be 30% or so in the by-election.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Labour are not doing equally well across the country in all likelihood: they're probably doing better than average in metropolitan areas. Since their vote is only up about 5 points since 2010 in the polling averages, they may be making very little progress at all in "old-fashioned" parts of the country like Newark.
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    Best prices - Na h-Eileanan an Iar (SNP Maj = 1,885)

SNP 1/5 (Lad)
    Lab 8/1 (PP)
    LD 90/1 (PP)
    UKIP 125/1 (PP)
    Con 125/1 (PP)
  • Options
    Sorry, it's down 9% on average. That suggests 33% in Newark, perhaps splitting 28%/5% to Labour.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good evening, everyone.

If you signed up to the latest PB Diplomacy game, it's fully signed up now so do log in to confirm.

Mr. Eagles, you approach music the way a masochist approaches sex.
  • Options

Ho ho! Paddy Power have just priced up East Dunbartonshire and their starting price for the SNP is 80/1 (!!)

I just placed the Maximum stake. Guess what the buggers let me put on. 81p! Yepp. Eighty one pence. What a shower! :) They obviously don't like losing after I creamed them at the Scottish GE betting in 2011.

Sixty-odd quid would still pay for a pleasant evening out?
    Absolutely.

I note that Paddy Power have now cut the SNP price in East Dunbartonshire from 80/1 to 33/1. So it is now Ladbrokes with the best price, at 50/1.
  • Options
    Suggest a result like Con 35%, Lab 28%, UKIP 25%, LD 5%, Others 7%.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

Pulpstar said:

Such a result could quite possibly be the most disproportional ever in any 'democratic' country...
    Just checked, and currently only the Bahamas, Bhutan, Grenada, Monaco and Singapore would outdo UK 2015 for disproportionality on those figures.

Certainly, no large, mature 'democracy' would have ever delivered such a disproportional election result...
  • Options
    HMRC v Take That. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-27356896 tax bill
  • Options
    I couldn't resist in the end...

Good evening, everyone.

If you signed up to the latest PB Diplomacy game, it's fully signed up now so do log in to confirm.

Mr. Eagles, you approach music the way a masochist approaches sex.

• Options
    Mr. Crosby, isn't Bhutan the happiest country in the world?

Also people don't vote for parties. They vote for individuals. Proportionality is the route to PR, which shifts power from voters to parties, leads to coalitions which means weak government and lack of accountability.
  • Options
    Mr. Foxinsox, you probably just saw how many clueless newcomers such as me were playing and fancied your chances.
  • Options
    Best prices - Plymouth Sutton and Devonport (Con Maj = 1,149)

Lab 4/11 (PP)
    Con 4/1 (Lad)
    UKIP 40/1 (PP)
    LD 40/1 (PP)
  • Options
    What is there to do in Dubai apart from sitting around drinking gin and tonics?
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323

antifrank said:

Coral ‏@Coral 21s

He scored the first game of the season, their could be a nice symmetry to him scoring in the final game of the season.

That's stupid. He's far more likely to score goal 11, 13, 14 and 17.

WE CAN STILL DO THIS CANARIES #nevergiveup #edballs
  • Options
    F1: 5 place grid penalty for Vettel due to gearbox failure and replacement. Starts 15th.

http://www1.skysports.com/f1/news/24182/9305754/sebastian-vettel-drops-to-15th-on-spanish-gp-grid-after-gearbox-change
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Shopping, particularly jewellery. My mother gets all her jewellery from Dubai.
  • Options
    Best prices - Somerton and Frome (LD Maj = 1,817)

Con 1/2 (PP)
    LD 15/8 (Lad)
    UKIP 50/1 (PP)
    Lab 100/1
  • Options
    O/t istr that entry into Eurovision is based on membership of the ebu. How much does membership cost? If we could get Gibraltar, Jersey, Isle of Man etc to join, we may get a few more points.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

antifrank said:

Coral ‏@Coral 21s

That's stupid. He's far more likely to score goal 11, 13, 14 and 17.

WE CAN STILL DO THIS CANARIES #nevergiveup #edballs
    I think there's more chance of that happening than Liverpool winning the league tomorrow.
  • Options
    Four wheeling in the desert is fun, as are desert camps under the stars. Just watch out for scorpions.

AndyJS said:

Some of the other emirates are not so liberal. Sharjah next door can arrest you for drinking or kissing in public.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    interested to see Saint Gary lumped in with the banksters, I thought he got a bit of a free pass when eg. that comedian suffered and mea culpa'ed himself a few months ago. Jimmy Carr that's it.

Kippers on a roll? Why not - people are feeling better, much better. They are less worried about both the national and their own personal balance sheets and so have a bit more leisure to have some fun. Why not give the Cons an elbow in the ribs? Why evan our own @taffys is in on the joke.

But the deadly serious thing is that come GE2015 in the cold light of day, sober, they will remember who gave them that well-deserved feelgood factor.

Step forward Dave "gay marriage, smaller state, police reform, daring education policy, let GO get on with it, gets it wrong at times but fair enough - the Cons as a whole and he in particular had lost their touch over the preceding 13 years" Cameron
  • Options

Mr. Crosby, isn't Bhutan the happiest country in the world?

'Also people don't vote for parties. They vote for individuals.'
    Really? Only 20% of people can name their MP (Hansard Society)... and FPTP is merely a closed list of one, anyhow!

'Proportionality is the route to PR, which shifts power from voters to parties'
    Tell that to the Irish (politicians), who complain that PR gives the voters too much power!

'leads to coalitions which means weak government and lack of accountability.'
    ...but greater economic success and stability, and voter satisfaction with their democracy. (surveys show)

• Options
    and as SAF might easily say nowadays:

Scoop6? Bloody Hell.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088

I hope people don't postal vote too early - still got half a dozen leaflet rounds to deliver.....

Haven't had ANY leaflets yet. No posters round here, either. The only ones on the local Con Club are for their forthcoming beer festival!
  • Options
    Mr. Crosby, really. That's how the system works.

On PR: I have no faith in the political class to implement an effective and intelligent reform to the voting system.
  • Options

On PR: I have no faith in the political class to implement an effective and intelligent reform to the voting system.

A Directly Elected Dictator or Tyrant is the only way forward
  • Options
    ok totally weird Haribo advert using childrens' voices through adult actors mirroring how typical anti-grooming adverts are structured.

(Yes I am on Eurovision pre-party channel.)
  • Options

A Directly Elected Dictator or Tyrant is the only way forward
    FPTP can do that. Witness Grenada's 15-0 parliament, where the winners secured just 58% of the vote.
  • Options
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 23m

Ukip donor Marchessini takes D Tel ad offering text of my #c4news intv, says edit "made it difficult to understand" pic.twitter.com/AinhKPL2dJ
  • Options
    So I switched on the BBC 1 in anticipation of Eurovision at 8pm.

There's some quiz show on, and one of the questions is

What was the name of Ed Miliband's father, and gave three options.

The lady got it right.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930
    Sean_F said:

Suggest a result like Con 35%, Lab 28%, UKIP 25%, LD 5%, Others 7%.

A fairly comfortable HOLD for Con then? :D

• Options
    Thing is - UKIP, Cons, LDs, LD2010 Switchers, Lab2010 switchers, Lab, hell, even Greens and an Independence from Europe Party...

...we're all Children of the Universe.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    My reaction to todays opinium poll is that UKIP are barking up the wrong tree, last May they were on 21% with the tories on 26% in opinium. In FPTP systems which favors a 2 party system outpolling one of the big two hugely increases your chances to replace them as a big party.UKIP should be targeting the Conservatives for a crossover, by targeting Labour votes they only increased the distance between UKIP and CON when UKIP is polling at similar figures, before they needed to be at 24% for a crossover now they need 26%.
    Plus all of UKIP potencial target seats are tory and LD seats, none are Labour seats.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    If UKIP got 20% and no MP's that would be quite funny really.. long term it would surely help their case

My way of sorting this nonsense would be to reduce the number of constituencies by 50 and allocate one MP per 2% a party gets.. if Scotland goes it will be nice and easy. 641 seats in the House of Commons, 591 constituencies

People who voted for a party with 10% of the vote but no constituency wins would still be vastly under represented but at least its something
  • Options

So I switched on the BBC 1 in anticipation of Eurovision at 8pm.

There's some quiz show on, and one of the questions is

What was the name of Ed Miliband's father, and gave three options.

The lady got it right.

was one of the options David?
This discussion has been closed.