Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Suddenly the possible economic catastrophe becomes centre stag

Comments

• contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited April 2020

In 'fool as many of the poor saps as you can for as long as you can' news.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1250373312015974400?s=20

Last night Trump was vaunted on PB for his 'decisive' action over WHO funding. There's no accounting for taste.
    To you and all those intending to defend and/or excuse the Chinese and/or WHO position as the backlash mounts, I say best of British.

Best of British, old thing. You are going to need it. So it Joe Biden.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,454
    Re funding the WHO, it seems the funding of the big multilaterals including the UN is very random and without much logic. Time for an overhaul. US actually probably doesnt overpay significantly but the UK does, the BRICs and other rich nations like Korea or UAE underpay.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/order-from-chaos/2018/01/09/who-actually-funds-the-un-and-other-multilaterals/
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Perhaps you could all devote your stellar wits to finding a solution to that relatively simple problem. You all seem to know so much about everything.

Chris said:

Floater said:

Chris - just wondering why you think that by insulting people it would motivate them to offer you advice?

I haven't asked anyone to give me advice about this. They are just holding forth of their own accord, and most of what they've said has been inaccurate and misleading.
    Precisely. That's what I just said. I suggested that people could devote their wits to finding a solution to the problem. I didn't ask for advice. And how right I was, given the nonsense that's just been posted here!
    Ummm...if you were asking for a solution, you were asking for advice.

You may not have intended to, of course.
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

Chris - just wondering why you think that by insulting people it would motivate them to offer you advice?

I haven't asked anyone to give me advice about this. They are just holding forth of their own accord, and most of what they've said has been inaccurate and misleading.
    You did ask!
    No, I didn't. You didn't read.

I said people here might want to apply their wits to the problem of people getting food.
    FFS, that is absolutely pathetic whatever mood you are in.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TOPPING said:

My 90-yr old mother got an email from Sainsbury's late last week to ask if she wanted a delivery and it arrived two days later (slightly wine-heavy if truth be told).

I am shocked by the implication that you have neglected to ensure that your elderly mum is properly supplied with decent stuff from Farr Vintners.
    Are they better than the Wine Society?
    No, but I know @TOPPING has an account with them...
    Surely ones butler has an account at Justerini & Brooks? - failing them, I suppose one of the younger staff might know someone at Berry & Rudd
    The better type of butler sources direct from the domaine
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

Now - pardon me for leaving this fascinating and erudite discussion, but I have been trying for several days to help someone who should be self-isolating to get a food delivery. I'm going to have another try now.

Several weeks ago, our prime minister advised everyone in the country to have their food delivered. Possibly partly as a result of that, it is virtually impossible for vulnerable people to get their food delivered. So much for "cocooning".

Perhaps you could all devote your stellar wits to finding a solution to that relatively simple problem. You all seem to know so much about everything.

Have they (or you on their behalf) signed up for the vulnerable person register? As soon as you are on that, the likes of Sainsbury's make dedicated slots available.
    Of course they have. Chris is a friend of theirs and would have told them.

My 90-yr old mother got an email from Sainsbury's late last week to ask if she wanted a delivery and it arrived two days later (slightly wine-heavy if truth be told).
    Oh come on. Silly comment.

As if a supermarket delivery could have too much wine in it.
    I just about forced her to include bread, milk, and eggs. Actually ( @Chris take note) - just about every neighbourhood has a support group to help vulnerable people. My mother's village shop, for example, has been keeping her well supplied throughout.

That we are three weeks in and Chris is not managing to help his vulnerable person, actually speaks volumes. About him.
    I didn't pay too much attention to precisely what was said but advice for the general public to have their general food delivered is/was daft given how the supermarkets were set up.
    The advice should have been only for those cocooned to have their general food delivered, and for others to go to the supermarket - but as infrequently as possible.
  • TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    Pagan2 said:

TGOHF666 said:

Perhaps the way to raise use of the contact tracing app is to embed it in commonly used apps - or have it pushed onto phones by operators ?

My phone was not supplied to me by my operator therefore any attempt to push it to my phone would be an offence under the computer misuse act I would think.

Please do not encourage governments to use surveillance apps and make them compulsory it is one measure I am damn sure would become permanent
    Hence why an incentive needed..
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,009

Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

You did ask!

I said people here might want to apply their wits to the problem of people getting food.
    What's pathetic? To suggest that people might apply their wits to the problems elderly people have getting food when they are meant to be isolating?

Or to distinguish that from asking for people's advice? Believe me, I have looked into this quite thoroughly over the past few weeks, and I certainly wasn't asking for advice from people here!
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Well don’t say I didn’t warn you:

https://twitter.com/speccoffeehouse/status/1250385973181067266?s=21

Perhaps some of those self-declared moderate Leavers might, you know, start actually voicing their opinions instead of waiting for others to do their dirty work?
    edited April 2020

Last night Trump was vaunted on PB for his 'decisive' action over WHO funding. There's no accounting for taste.
    I can't believe they're mailing cheques to everyone. 200 odd million people now need to make an extra trip to the bank !
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749
    edited April 2020

To you and all those intending to defend and/or excuse the Chinese and/or WHO position as the backlash mounts, I say best of British.

If it's good enough for the Don..

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1220818115354923009?s=20
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

You did ask!

What's pathetic? To suggest that people might apply their wits to the problems elderly people have getting food when they are meant to be isolating?

Or to distinguish that from asking for people's advice? Believe me, I have looked into this quite thoroughly over the past few weeks, and I certainly wasn't asking for advice from people here!
    Well most of us have succeeded in finding ways to get food to people. I posted some below. Keep looking into it thoroughly and failing.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950

TOPPING said:

I am shocked by the implication that you have neglected to ensure that your elderly mum is properly supplied with decent stuff from Farr Vintners.
    haha! Good point - I am ashamed of myself.
    TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

Now - pardon me for leaving this fascinating and erudite discussion, but I have been trying for several days to help someone who should be self-isolating to get a food delivery. I'm going to have another try now.

Several weeks ago, our prime minister advised everyone in the country to have their food delivered. Possibly partly as a result of that, it is virtually impossible for vulnerable people to get their food delivered. So much for "cocooning".

Have they (or you on their behalf) signed up for the vulnerable person register? As soon as you are on that, the likes of Sainsbury's make dedicated slots available.

I just about forced her to include bread, milk, and eggs. Actually ( @Chris take note) - just about every neighbourhood has a support group to help vulnerable people. My mother's village shop, for example, has been keeping her well supplied throughout.

That we are three weeks in and Chris is not managing to help his vulnerable person, actually speaks volumes. About him.
    Beneath contempt.

Perhaps some of those self-declared moderate Leavers might, you know, start actually voicing their opinions instead of waiting for others to do their dirty work?

Great news - these chaps are showing us the way - that working from home can be productive.

Also - we can use the £12Bn membership fee for next year to pay down debt.

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    The Tour de France has been postponed by two months due to the coronavirus pandemic, world governing body the UCI has announced, AFP reports.

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

You did ask!

Well most of us have succeeded in finding ways to get food to people. I posted some below. Keep looking into it thoroughly and failing.
    Beaneath contempt.

TOPPING said:

Surely ones butler has an account at Justerini & Brooks? - failing them, I suppose one of the younger staff might know someone at Berry & Rudd
    I still have an account at Berry's but Farr's has a far better claret list. Plus they sell Verget/Guffens-Heynen wines which are far and away the best value white burgundies around.
    Pulpstar said:

I can't believe they're mailing cheques to everyone. 200 odd million people now need to make an extra trip to the bank !
    In the UK you can pay cheques in remotely.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,043
    edited April 2020
    TGOHF666 said:

Great news - these chaps are showing us the way - that working from home can be productive.

Clearly the Government is mad. It is beyond bonkers to keep the possibility of a No Deal exit on the table just as the possible 2nd wave of virus hits next winter.

Tories will be out of office for a generation once the voters get their say on that.

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

I'm with Bill Gates on this (usually a sensible place to be). Now is really not the time to disrupt the work of the WHO or any work that they are doing.

That said, there are questions to answer here about their highly political and positively unhelpful stance re China, particularly in the early weeks of this pandemic. A change of leadership may well be called for. But that is for after, next year or more probably the year after.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

According to a BMG poll yesterday while Remainers support extension of the transition period by 66% to 10%, Leavers oppose extension by 45% to 34%.

Tory voters oppose extending the transition period by 42% to 35%, Labour voters support extending it by 64% to 11% and LD voters by 72% to 6%

https://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmg-independent-poll-public-supportive-of-brexit-deadline-extension/
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

You did ask!

Beaneath contempt.
    I note you say you can't drive. Is that because you are not 17 yet?
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Chris said:

Floater said:

Precisely. That's what I just said. I suggested that people could devote their wits to finding a solution to the problem. I didn't ask for advice. And how right I was, given the nonsense that's just been posted here!
    jeez Chris I've just been for a bike ride and left when you said you absolutely had to go to help your friend get supplies and I'm back and here you are still.

As plenty of people have told you, there are support groups and although as a neighbour of yours I appreciate you haven't received a leaflet so she hasn't probably received one yet. But there are zillions of those groups only eager and willing to help and they put together food packages and so forth.

Where do you live? If you're on the internet on PB I'm sure you can track down a local one.

(Tip: calling them morons and idiots will likely delay delivery of those vital goods so for god's sake man try to hold it together when you get in touch with them.)

TGOHF666 said:

Clearly the Government is mad. It is beyond bonkers to keep the possibility of a No Deal exit on the table just as the possible 2nd wave of virus hits next winter.

Tories will be out of office for a generation once the voters get their say on that.

Given there are no votes before then we will never know.

TGOHF666 said:

All the self-proclaimed moderate Leavers who have been slating me for weeks for pointing out what was coming will by then have decided that was what they always wanted. The self-radicalisation will have taken another turn of the screw.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997

Pulpstar said:

In the UK you can pay cheques in remotely.
    I can scan cheques in on my phone. Although it struggles a bit with company cheques as it doesn't seem to be set up with the different format in mind
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 43,625
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

True - but the talk was of emergencies. Imagine that one has a friend at ones virtual dinner party, who has a fraught relationship with the owner of ones favoured domain for desert wine. One could either upset ones guest, or (as a good butler should arrange automatically) substitute an equal wine from one of these trade shop johnnies.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,089
    Socky said:

MattW said:

@Cyclefree Gardening Corner (12)

What do you guys do for composting? I have a single 'dalek' composter, and I need to get a further one, or change the arrangement.

Daleks are good. They should come with a lid though, and I have found they work better when the contents are kept damp.
    Yes there's a lid :-). Having no lawn I need more greens, though.
    @Chris

Look, mate (matesse?). We're trying to help here. Just about every local area has a C-19 support group run by amazingly energetic and motivated people and those groups are designed precisely to help people such as your friend. Try to find where your one is and contact them and they will deliver or you can collect and drop.

My point about this has been going on for three weeks is that this has been going on for three weeks and these groups are a) well established, and b) well known - as has been evidenced by the reclusive, daylight-shunning political geeks here on PB.

Do a moment's research and you will find your local C-19 support group. I promise you.

TGOHF666 said:

"WTO/No-deal" Brexit probably crashes the economy by 5-10%. If that is the real govt aim then doing it during the crisis is better than waiting for recovery and hitting us hard again. Politically it will be easier to blame covid 19 rather than Brexit and economically it is easier to change, adapt and recover once rather than twice.

If it is not the govt aim then they will simply agree a mostly standstill longer term transition of some form and call it Brexit.

If we are going to do it anyway, the case for delaying moving to WTO/No Deal to 2022 rather than 2020 seems emotional rather than pragmatic.

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

True - but the talk was of emergencies. Imagine that one has a friend at ones virtual dinner party, who has a fraught relationship with the owner of ones favoured domain for desert wine. One could either upset ones guest, or (as a good butler should arrange automatically) substitute an equal wine from one of these trade shop johnnies.
    Presumably one has an ample stock of both d'Yquem and Rieussec to hand???

TGOHF666 said:

"WTO/No-deal" Brexit probably crashes the economy by 5-10%. If that is the real govt aim then doing it during the crisis is better than waiting for recovery and hitting us hard again. Politically it will be easier to blame covid 19 rather than Brexit and economically it is easier to change, adapt and recover once rather than twice.

If it is not the govt aim then they will simply agree a mostly standstill longer term transition of some form and call it Brexit.

If we are going to do it anyway, the case for delaying moving to WTO/No Deal to 2022 rather than 2020 seems emotional rather than pragmatic.
    I think this probably is the crux of the issue.

"Another factor, I understand, is that the government worries about the cost of any extension. There is concern that extending could drag the UK into the arguments about who pays for the various EU schemes designed to protect the European economy and preserve the Eurozone."
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    edited April 2020
    Chris said:

Chris said:

"Under am I entitled to support"

Again, the government have repeatedly made it clear at the likes of the press conference, if you know somebody who hasn't been included on the list, get in contact with the GP or local authority. That list isn't final and binding.

As I thought - the criteria on that page don't apply. The people I am talking about aren't "socially vulnerable".
    You say they are old and housebound..how does that not fit the "socially vulnerable" category?

You clearly don't want to entertain the idea that you can contact the GP / local authority and say this person I know can't get food or medicine that they need. I would be shocked if a GP wouldn't use their power to get them onto the list.
    No. That's not what "socially vulnerable" means.

Google it.

As far as I can see, your notion about GPs having discretion to get people on to the list when they don't fit the criteria is a figment of your imagination.

Just think how many over 70s there are. I reckon something like 7 million. The NHS volunteers list has (nominally) only 1.5 million on it.
    Yes, I'm not sure if your wording was ambiguous, but you're making a good point and IMO people are bullying you unfairly over it. There is absolutely a problem for people who are vulnerable but not VERY vulnerable (as defined in the very specific government list). I know several cases, e.g. a 95-year-old without any condition on the list who is unable to walk more than a few steps. Her GP does *not* have the discretion to add her to the list, nor does anyone else. So her son and daughter are alternating food runs for her, increasing their own exposure even though they too are moderately vulnerable (both in their 60s, one with asthma).

That's not to say the Government can fix everything - even the help for the very vulnerable is only now creaking into widespresad use. But it's a genuine problem for those without supportive friends and relatives, a problem that is more common than people think.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited April 2020

TGOHF666 said:

All the self-proclaimed moderate Leavers who have been slating me for weeks for pointing out what was coming will by then have decided that was what they always wanted. The self-radicalisation will have taken another turn of the screw.
    Wouldn't bother me if we stayed in! Mass, uncontrolled, immigration is a thing of the past now

Chris said:

Chris said:

Again, the government have repeatedly made it clear at the likes of the press conference, if you know somebody who hasn't been included on the list, get in contact with the GP or local authority. That list isn't final and binding.

As I thought - the criteria on that page don't apply. The people I am talking about aren't "socially vulnerable".
    You say they are old and housebound..how does that not fit the "socially vulnerable" category?

You clearly don't want to entertain the idea that you can contact the GP / local authority and say this person I know can't get food or medicine that they need. I would be shocked if a GP wouldn't use their power to get them onto the list.

Google it.

As far as I can see, your notion about GPs having discretion to get people on to the list when they don't fit the criteria is a figment of your imagination.

Just think how many over 70s there are. I reckon something like 7 million. The NHS volunteers list has (nominally) only 1.5 million on it.
    Yes, I'm not sure if your wording was ambiguous, but you're making a good point and IMO people are bullying you unfairly over it. There is absolutely a problem for people who are vulnerable but not VERY vulnerable (as defined in the very specific government list). I know several cases, e.g. a 95-year-old without any condition on the list who is unable to walk more than a few steps. Her GP does *not* have the discretion to add her to the list, nor does anyone else. So her son and daughter are alternating food runs for her, increasing their own exposure even though they too are moderately vulnerable (both in their 60s, one with asthma).

That's not to say the Government can fix everything - even the help for the very vulnerable is only now creaking into widespresad use. But it's a genuine problem for those without supportive friends and relatives, a problem that is more common than people think.
    Nick there are a zillion community support groups around to help people like that.

The negotiations have just started. Do you really think it is a productive thing to do for the first thing on the agenda of a negotiation to agree that there won't be a conclusion?

There is plenty of time to delay things if they get stuck but the ideal is that there is no ongoing uncertainty and we have a good and open trading relationship with the EU on confirmed terms by the end of this year. There will be enough uncertainty going forward without that. I suspect that the virus may play a positive part in this. It really isn't the time for either side to muck about seeking some petty perceived advantage.
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 5,997
    Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

ydoethur said:

TOPPING said:

Chris said:

I didn't pay too much attention to precisely what was said but advice for the general public to have their general food delivered is/was daft given how the supermarkets were set up.
    The advice should have been only for those cocooned to have their general food delivered, and for others to go to the supermarket - but as infrequently as possible.
    The problem seems to be sourcing deliveries from your local store. No way to ramp up capacity easily and no way to restrict orders to items actually in stock - as "real" customers can plunder the shelves before the [personal shoppers get there. Sourcing direct from mega warehouses, a la Ocado, seems obvious to me (anyone know how they have been coping?) but I don't think any of the major supermarket chains have gone down this route. Now supermarkets have instituted social distancing measures I have decided that one visit as infrequently as possible is the best way to do it, as when items are out of stock you can decide on substitutions.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    DavidL said:

I'm with Bill Gates on this (usually a sensible place to be). Now is really not the time to disrupt the work of the WHO or any work that they are doing.

That said, there are questions to answer here about their highly political and positively unhelpful stance re China, particularly in the early weeks of this pandemic. A change of leadership may well be called for. But that is for after, next year or more probably the year after.
    Yes, Bill's heart and wallet are in the right place. He's using his money to help. Trump on the other hand is part of the problem not part of the solution.
    edited April 2020
    TOPPING said:

Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Presumably one has an ample stock of both d'Yquem and Rieussec to hand???
    I thought we were talking of fine wine, not what ones butler arranges for the lower servants hall.
  • Gabs3Gabs3 Posts: 836
    Reading this website on a smartphone has got a lot harder. The first letter of each line is cut off on the left hand side.
    DavidL said:

The negotiations have just started. Do you really think it is a productive thing to do for the first thing on the agenda of a negotiation to agree that there won't be a conclusion?

There is plenty of time to delay things if they get stuck but the ideal is that there is no ongoing uncertainty and we have a good and open trading relationship with the EU on confirmed terms by the end of this year. There will be enough uncertainty going forward without that. I suspect that the virus may play a positive part in this. It really isn't the time for either side to muck about seeking some petty perceived advantage.
    Erm, a decision to extend needs to be taken by the end of June. Given that the government (and every other European government) has its hands quite full just now, yes I do think it would be a productive thing to agree at least a year’s delay. I’m amazed anyone can seriously imagine otherwise.
    edited April 2020

Chris said:

Chris said:

Google it.

I know several cases, e.g. a 95-year-old without any condition on the list who is unable to walk more than a few steps. Her GP does *not* have the discretion to add her to the list, nor does anyone else. So her son and daughter are alternating food runs for her, increasing their own exposure even though they too are moderately vulnerable (both in their 60s, one with asthma).
    GP all can get access to those on the list and absolutely do have the ability to add to it...and have been encouraged to do so by the CMO.

"England's chief medical officer Professor Chris Whitty asked GPs to add to the list of most vulnerable patients using their 'clinical judgement'."

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/gps-asked-to-review-15-million-patients-most-at-risk-from-coronavirus/20040414.article

The local authority also do. I presume a 95 year old who can't walk more than a few steps gets home help, thus again the local authority could and should be adding her.
  • Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    HYUFD said:

According to a BMG poll yesterday while Remainers support extension of the transition period by 66% to 10%, Leavers oppose extension by 45% to 34%.

Tory voters oppose extending the transition period by 42% to 35%, Labour voters support extending it by 64% to 11% and LD voters by 72% to 6%

https://www.bmgresearch.co.uk/bmg-independent-poll-public-supportive-of-brexit-deadline-extension/
    Who gives a fuck what the polls say. The government needs to show leadership and recognise this is now beyond the levels of self harm that many of us worried about. Piling no deal Brexit on top of this crisis would be criminally insane. The fact that 42% of Tory voters oppose extension shows what a bunch of head-in-the-sand thickheads now support that party.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    edited April 2020
    ydoethur said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

The real issue is operating the loan system through the banks. I imagine the idea is to keep headline government borrowing to manageable levels, but given the fact that (a) our banks are still a badly run shambles and (b) nobody has any faith in them whatsoever, the system they have devised would still be running into all kinds of trouble even if they weren’t feathering their own nests.

As has been said on here countless times, well by me anyway, they should bypass the banks and make grants not loans. Oh and be more generous. Sure it will cost but not half as much as allowing a depression to happen faute de mieux and it buys time for the health measures to have a chance of working.
    Cyclefree, you make a living teaching bankers not to be fuckwits and you expect them and the government to act intelligently?

That's a triumph of hope over experience if ever I heard it.

Hope the move went OK and that your daughter has not been assaulted by any more demented yokels, er, locals.
    Yes thanks. Am living in the most gorgeously isolated place ever. Nearest farm a mile away. Near neighbours: sheep, lambs, the odd pheasant, a barn owl and lots of birds. The views are outstanding and the weather glorious. Am sunbathing.....

Daughter has written to local MP. She has had lots of supportive messages on the business’s Facebook account, which has helped. There are fuckwits everywhere.

My business is in suspended animation. Work I had scheduled for June has been put back to November.

I will be grateful if me and mine survive this with our health intact. Still doesn’t stop me railing against idiocy.....
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    Gabs3 said:

Reading this website on a smartphone has got a lot harder. The first letter of each line is cut off on the left hand side.

Yes, I`ve noticed this. Annoying.
    isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

Wouldn't bother me if we stayed in! Mass, uncontrolled, immigration is a thing of the past now
    So it was just about prejudice all along. Well I never!

DavidL said:

Yes, Bill's heart and wallet are in the right place. He's using his money to help. Trump on the other hand is part of the problem not part of the solution.
    Absolutely. We all knew he was a poor choice for President but a genuine crisis like this has shown his multitude of faults in sharp relief.

DavidL said:

Erm, a decision to extend needs to be taken by the end of June. Given that the government (and every other European government) has its hands quite full just now, yes I do think it would be a productive thing to agree at least a year’s delay. I’m amazed anyone can seriously imagine otherwise.
    The lockdown really is starting to bite - we've now got 2019 project fear omelette being reheated and served up.

• another_richardanother_richard Posts: 24,967
    isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

That's an astonishingly naive comment.

Its still part of the globalist agenda and there are endless millions throughout the world who will always want to move to western countries.
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

The lockdown really is starting to bite - we've now got 2019 project fear omelette being reheated and served up.

Oh dear the Brexit self-harmers are bringing out their best clichés again. No doubt you have had enough of experts and Covid-19 is just another ruse to thwart the will-o-the-people. How long before the EU gets the blame for the fact that we have had 3X as many fatalities as Germany. Dominic Cumming's herd immunity theory was all to do with knowing that his Brexit supporting dumbass herd would still keep believing, even when the facts backed the experts.

isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

That's an astonishingly naive comment.

Its still part of the globalist agenda and there are endless millions throughout the world who will always want to move to western countries.
    Wooosh I believe :smiley:

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

Oh dear the Brexit self-harmers are bringing out their best clichés again. No doubt you have had enough of experts and Covid-19 is just another ruse to thwart the will-o-the-people. How long before the EU gets the blame for the fact that we have had 3X as many fatalities as Germany. Dominic Cumming's herd immunity theory was all to do with knowing that his Brexit supporting dumbass herd would still keep believing, even when the facts backed the experts.
    Whats the collective noun for straw men ? A twatload ?

DavidL said:

It would be better to have a deal so any remaining uncertainty is removed.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    isam said:

TGOHF666 said:

Weren't you feeling nostalgic about your childhood listening to Soul II Soul the other day?
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There is not going to be any real progress made by the end of June, is there? If any national leader were focusing on such a deal at this stage, they would be criminally negligent.

And so the first of the self-proclaimed moderate Leavers decides after all that they want to leave on 31 December, deal or no deal.

Could the others do their slinking now, so as to save us all time?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    This I think hits the nail. The cabinet of Brexiteer incompetents, overseeing probably the biggest death-toll in Europe, spent more energy on producing a 50p Brexit coin than preparing for the epidemic.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1250393439465869313

• HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712

HYUFD said:

Who gives a fuck what the polls say. The government needs to show leadership and recognise this is now beyond the levels of self harm that many of us worried about. Piling no deal Brexit on top of this crisis would be criminally insane. The fact that 42% of Tory voters oppose extension shows what a bunch of head-in-the-sand thickheads now support that party.
    An extension for a few months to late May or June next year to makeup for time lost by the lockdown would be OK by me.

Extending further than that though risks Leavers deserting the Tories again for Farage and the BrexitParty
  • johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

How long before the EU gets the blame from France, Spain & Italy for the fact that they have had 3X as many fatalities as Germany?
    Looking at it from the government's perspective, if we are about to have a Covid-19 mother of all recessions, then any negative impact of leaving the EU with no deal would likely be folded into the whole "It was the endemic wot done it" narrative.

If that is what they are planning to do, an ongoing deep recession prompted by a global pandemic would be a good time to bury leaving the EU with no deal.
    Have we had today's grim figures yet ?
  • SockySocky Posts: 404
    MattW said:

One thing I forgot; In my experience the ones with a shutter at the bottom are a bit of a pain, the compost doesn't flow well enough. Probably better to have two bins and fill/empty them alternately.
    TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

It makes me feel all nostalgic. Remember those happy days when something as trivial as Brexit really seemed to matter? When projections from an economic model showed we might be a few tenths of a percent of GDP off in a decade or so as opposed to a 35% fall by the end of June?

Good times, good times, if not appreciated by all.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    England deaths down today on first day not affected by bank holiday. Now clear peak was last Wednesday.
    maaarsh said:

England deaths down today on first day not affected by bank holiday. Now clear peak was last Wednesday.

Link?
    edited April 2020

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

There is not going to be any real progress made by the end of June, is there? If any national leader were focusing on such a deal at this stage, they would be criminally negligent.

And so the first of the self-proclaimed moderate Leavers decides after all that they want to leave on 31 December, deal or no deal.

Now is apparently the time to "spark panic"...

https://twitter.com/StandUp4Brexit/status/1250372771680575491
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,545
    TOPPING said:

Looking at it from the government's perspective, if we are about to have a Covid-19 mother of all recessions, then any negative impact of leaving the EU with no deal would likely be folded into the whole "It was the endemic wot done it" narrative.

If that is what they are planning to do, an ongoing deep recession prompted by a global pandemic would be a good time to bury leaving the EU with no deal.

That's absolutely what they think. They also think leaving the EU is a good thing (although they can't point to any real positives). The rest of us might think if it takes the worst pandemic since 1919 to cover up just how bad Brexit is, then maybe a rethink might be in order.
    DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

It makes me feel all nostalgic. Remember those happy days when something as trivial as Brexit really seemed to matter? When projections from an economic model showed we might be a few tenths of a percent of GDP off in a decade or so as opposed to a 35% fall by the end of June?

Brexit: not as bad as a global pandemic.

If any buses were around I'm sure that would fit.
  • SockySocky Posts: 404
    TOPPING said:

an ongoing deep recession prompted by a global pandemic would be a good time to bury leaving the EU with no deal.

Or maybe as in the post-WW2 period, this is the opportunity for a reset and fresh independent thinking.

maaarsh said:

Link?
    Same place as everyday

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Genuinely great news. Hope the usual misery merchants on here will be willing to take it in.
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

Very good.
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

I take my hat off to Leavers. At a time when everyone else has no time to think of anything other than staying alive, they’re still working out new ways to hate the EU and cause as much damage as possible to the country along the way.
  • AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited April 2020

How long before the EU gets the blame from France, Spain & Italy for the fact that they have had 3X as many fatalities as Germany?

Even Belgium have had more than Germany, despite a fraction of the population. Both went into early lockdown on the same day, but Belgium's was stricter initially iirc.

Really feels like there's some large unknown factor here.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,540
    Press & Journal asks Sturgeon about PPE - and "forty a Day" confirms yesterday evening's Courier story:

https://www.24live.co/live/U9cP6

https://twitter.com/TomPeterkin/status/1250378386280775681?s=20
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    maaarsh said:

Good news if true where is it from?
    edited April 2020
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Link?
    Same place as everyday

https://www.england.nhs.uk/statistics/statistical-work-areas/covid-19-daily-deaths/

Genuinely great news. Hope the usual misery merchants on here will be willing to take it in.
    651 for England if I am reading that correctly.

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Link?
    Same place as everyday

651 for England if I am reading that correctly.
    Yes - no big spike after bank holiday, and the by day breakdown, when added to prior days, confirms April 8th was the highest and there is no credible alternative day to beat it at the moment
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408

Sunak thinks the British public will forgive him for the years of grinding austerity and joblessness they are being consigned to by his policies.

A look at today's papers shows that notion is far, far from the case.

People support the things that will then require that response. But I happen to agree they wont forgive it, even when they ask for it.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sparked a panic?
    RobD said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sparked a panic?
    Presumably some people believe it.
    edited April 2020
    LOL, the UW horseshit model even crazier than usual for todays predicted numbers...their prediction range is between 170 and 4100 deaths....so utterly broken.
    And for @MyBurningEars, an example of scrupulous twitter etiquette:

https://twitter.com/johnrentoul/status/1250410931206721536?s=21
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,749

TGOHF666 said:

DavidL said:

Must check my diary, hadn't realised it was a 'Blame the EU' day rather than a 'Blame China' one.
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603

LOL, the UW horseshit model even crazier than usual for todays predicted numbers...their prediction range is between 170 and 4100 deaths....so utterly broken.

If you have a large enough range you can never be wrong.
    Socky said:

TOPPING said:

an ongoing deep recession prompted by a global pandemic would be a good time to bury leaving the EU with no deal.

Or maybe as in the post-WW2 period, this is the opportunity for a reset and fresh independent thinking.
    Not a bad idea at all. All kinds of trade flows, contingencies, supply chains, etc will have been dramatically revised and new relationships put in their place (whether inter- or intra-nationally).

As such a review and fresh independent thinking would be very sensible. But in that spirit, it would be ridiculous to try to leave the EU *at the same time*.

Once this has subsided, let's as you say see where we are, and then make some sensible decisions. We will be tying our hands if we try to pursue it right now as with everyone being so vulnerable (as in national trade positions) we don't want to be in a position whereby we aren't able to leverage whatever strengths we find we have post-Covid19.
  • johnoundlejohnoundle Posts: 120
    DavidL said:

From a UK standpoint now is probably the maximum pressure point as the EU claim the last thing they want is a Singapore on Thames, which is precisely what they will get if a reasonable deal is not sorted out by the end of the year.
    maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Link?
    Same place as everyday

That is remarkably good news. I have always thought that the week before the official lockdown was pretty much a voluntary lockdown. I went into work on the Monday and brought home a pile of papers. Not been back since. We are possibly just a little further on (and therefore past the peak) than has been assumed.
    edited April 2020
    MaxPB said:

For a serious university, and a model that is apparently being used by the US government, it is absolutely staggering how much utter crap it is pumping out.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074
    MattW said:

Socky said:

MattW said:

What do you guys do for composting? I have a single 'dalek' composter, and I need to get a further one, or change the arrangement.

Daleks are good. They should come with a lid though, and I have found they work better when the contents are kept damp.
    I assume it is directly on the ground and that there is no bottom so that the worms can get up into the material and do their stuff.

If you have the space you can go for the full Monty Don experience: 3 spaces side by side bounded by wooden fencing and open to the sky. First one is for all the stuff you initially put in, then as it rots down and you turn it you put it into the middle section and let it rot some more. Then finally you turn it and put it into the last section where it turns into the lovely sweet smelling crumbly compost we all love.

For those of us without the space, I have found the wooden beehive composters to be pretty effective. And also quite attractive. If you have the space you can put two in and do a truncated version of what I’ve described above. But even if you do nothing, eventually it will all rot down. Just make sure you put them somewhere where it is easy to access the compost at the bottom.

Bob Flowerdew once pointed out that urine can be effective at speeding up the rotting process. It is not essential however ......
    Here's well known racist Paul McCartney "blaming China"

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1250379409594429445?s=20

MaxPB said:

I predict that the stock market will move up, down or stay the same.
    Andrew said:

Even Belgium have had more than Germany, despite a fraction of the population. Both went into early lockdown on the same day, but Belgium's was stricter initially iirc.

Really feels like there's some large unknown factor here.
    Testing and tracing possibly may be more important than lockdown? But yes there are lots of unknowns, and even more unknown by the amateurs who have such certainty that it is all policy related with the govt to blame.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,089
    Socky said:

TOPPING said:

How about we do the thinking first? After all, one of the strands in Leave thinking was that the UK should be more globalised, that the EU was stopping us making great trade deals with countries like... China. (Not just China, and not all Leavers wanted more globalisation, natch). That might still be valid, but it might well have been overtaken by events. Feels prudent to check first before signing up to anything long-term.

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,959
    Cyclefree said:

MattW said:

Socky said:

MattW said:

I assume it is directly on the ground and that there is no bottom so that the worms can get up into the material and do their stuff.

If you have the space you can go for the full Monty Don experience: 3 spaces side by side bounded by wooden fencing and open to the sky. First one is for all the stuff you initially put in, then as it rots down and you turn it you put it into the middle section and let it rot some more. Then finally you turn it and put it into the last section where it turns into the lovely sweet smelling crumbly compost we all love.

For those of us without the space, I have found the wooden beehive composters to be pretty effective. And also quite attractive. If you have the space you can put two in and do a truncated version of what I’ve described above. But even if you do nothing, eventually it will all rot down. Just make sure you put them somewhere where it is easy to access the compost at the bottom.

Bob Flowerdew once pointed out that urine can be effective at speeding up the rotting process. It is not essential however ......
    Peeing on a compost heap is an old gardeners trick.

Younger ones can usually make it to the loo in time.....
  • BannedinnParisBannedinnParis Posts: 1,884
    DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

maaarsh said:

Link?
    Same place as everyday

That is remarkably good news. I have always thought that the week before the official lockdown was pretty much a voluntary lockdown. I went into work on the Monday and brought home a pile of papers. Not been back since. We are possibly just a little further on (and therefore past the peak) than has been assumed.
    you can see many people thinking the same in the gov's transport stats
    MaxPB said:

Yet they have a range of 0-0 for deaths as early as May 21st...
This discussion has been closed.