Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The NHS “army of volunteers” could be a Cummings masterstroke

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763
    edited March 2020

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

If there was a split - which, I am honest, I do not expect there to be - the more dangerous scenario would be the two sides splitting the Nationalist vote (which let us not forget, is a minority of the overall electorate) and letting Unionist candidates through the middle.

But my suspicion is all that will happen is a lot of damaging mud slinging, which may topple Sturgeon and cost the SNP ten seats next year but would not be fatal to it. Ultimately, there are huge policy differences over just about everything in the SNP - Europe, Education, Health, Policing - but because they all want independence everything else is secondary. This will just be another sore.

It will be interesting what becomes of the SNP once the goal of independence is achieved. At the moment they are able to secure the votes of people with very different politics - e.g. our own @malcolmg and @Theuniondivvie who I sense from their posts are right and left (of centre) respectively - drawn together by a shared belief that Scotland does not belong in the UK. Such people, and there must be loads, will probably not be voting for the same party post indy.
    The point is they fear independence won't happen at all. Coronavirus is a disaster for them as is Brexit. They represent huge barriers which did not exist in 2014 and Sturgeon is being blamed for letting the momentum slip, despite her obvious successes and credibility so far as the public is concerned. This is stressing the coalition and Salmond's massive sense of entitlement and grievance is a match about to be dropped into a tinder-box.

All the old uglies, misogynists and bampots are re-appearing who they need to keep under wraps (Macneil, Cherry, Neil et al) and this is horrifying the more moderate members not to mention the women who are appalled at Salmond's behaviour.

Nicola has conducted herself well so far during the Coronavirus, but for the SNP's long term objectives it's horrific. The UK Government is being seen as the Government again, for better or worse. Anyone living in England will not understand quite what a change that is. The Scottish Government is struggling for airtime. The EU is appearing as an irrelevance at best. When we get through this the celebration will be nationwide.
    I'm not sure "The UK Government is being seen as the Government again." is correct. The response in Scotland is led by the Scottish government. Sturgeon has been careful to not let a cigarette paper separate Scotland from the rest of the UK in terms of policy. She is a very cautious politician, which possibly explains why she's still there.

I think a response that is viewed as competent will help the SNP and the cause of independence. A valid criticism of the SNP by the sceptical but could be convinced crowd is that the Party hasn't been preparing the country for independence.

If the response is seen as inadequate, that will hurt the Scottish Government, but it doesn't help the Unionist cause as the same policy applied at the UK level.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Andy_JS said:

Fenster said:

I slept for 12 hours last night which is completely bizarre.

My emails and phone calls (and stress levels!) have fallen off a cliff. I live on 24/7 call and get a few hundred emails a day - all accessible on the omnipotent smart-phone. I think I realise now how afflicting it is on your mental health to have a constant work-phone.

I don't think I've ever slept for 12 hours in my life!

I don't understand why and how it became acceptable to expect people to answer work emails/calls outside work hours, (except that it probably started in New York City and/or San Francisco).
    It's the frog in the boiling pan thing... it's got worse and worse. I was even reading and replying to emails and calls from the poolside in the Algarve last year.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356
    Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

If there was a split - which, I am honest, I do not expect there to be - the more dangerous scenario would be the two sides splitting the Nationalist vote (which let us not forget, is a minority of the overall electorate) and letting Unionist candidates through the middle.

But my suspicion is all that will happen is a lot of damaging mud slinging, which may topple Sturgeon and cost the SNP ten seats next year but would not be fatal to it. Ultimately, there are huge policy differences over just about everything in the SNP - Europe, Education, Health, Policing - but because they all want independence everything else is secondary. This will just be another sore.

It will be interesting what becomes of the SNP once the goal of independence is achieved. At the moment they are able to secure the votes of people with very different politics - e.g. our own @malcolmg and @Theuniondivvie who I sense from their posts are right and left (of centre) respectively - drawn together by a shared belief that Scotland does not belong in the UK. Such people, and there must be loads, will probably not be voting for the same party post indy.
    More than once, they have both hinted they would expect a split in the SNP after independence, with the right absorbing some unionists and the left the remains of Labour, to form two new parties. Bit like the in Sinn Fein from 1922-28 once independence was de facto achieved, but hopefully without the thousands of deaths.
    The SNP would shatter into at least 3 parties within seconds of independence being achieved.
    Just like the ANC, huh? In fact, other than Ireland where the same 2 parties have dominated since independence, can you think of any party that led independence that has since ceased to be a major player in the country? Possibly the Congress party in India but that took a long time.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115

Fenster said:

My emails and phone calls (and stress levels!) have fallen off a cliff. I live on 24/7 call and get a few hundred emails a day - all accessible on the omnipotent smart-phone. I think I realise now how afflicting it is on your mental health to have a constant work-phone.

Always switch your phone at least half an hour off before bedtime and don't take it to your bedroom. The best way of getting a good night's sleep.
    Thank you - great advice. I think after this crisis is over I'll change my ways. It's been an eye-opener.
  • Options
    Of course HYUFD doesn't get it.

Lets say I run a business who faces little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. The government promises all will be ok and pledges £330bn in government backed business interruption loans and a drop in the discount rate to 0.1%.

"My bank will help" I think "with the government offering it almost free money AND guarantees". So I speak to the bank. Who at best want my home as guarantee against the government backed cash and want 12% interest to pay back the 0.1% free government money. At best. At worst they decide that my business isn't viable as I have little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. So won't issue me the government guaranteed money as there's too much risk that the government won't guarantee the loan.

Either way, despite Sunak's announcement backed endlessly on here by HYUFD my business folds. Good says HYUFD, your business folding is proof that the government has acted decisively to stop your business folding. Your now out of work employees are proof that the government has acted decisively to stop people going out of work. Hurrah and huzzah says HYUFD.

And thats if you are a viable limited company. If you are self employed or a contractor or don't have rateable premises, go and do one says the party of small business and entrepreneurs. "Get on your bike. Drag yourselves up by your bootstraps" / "Fuck Business"...

Can anyone see the problem here?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883

Fenster said:

Always switch your phone at least half an hour off before bedtime and don't take it to your bedroom. The best way of getting a good night's sleep.
    Indeed but make sure you have your laptop on for PB and "other" requirements.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Update from me. The virus is a bastard.
    It lulls you into thinking you are getting better then it comes back for you.

My wife feels like day 1 again today. I'm a bit better than that but I tend to lag her symptoms by a day. Currently sat watching my boys playing with wood in the garden. Slightly dangerous but there is only so much telly and board games they can do. Depressed today.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

More than once, they have both hinted they would expect a split in the SNP after independence, with the right absorbing some unionists and the left the remains of Labour, to form two new parties. Bit like the in Sinn Fein from 1922-28 once independence was de facto achieved, but hopefully without the thousands of deaths.
    The SNP would shatter into at least 3 parties within seconds of independence being achieved.
    Just like the ANC, huh? In fact, other than Ireland where the same 2 parties have dominated since independence, can you think of any party that led independence that has since ceased to be a major player in the country? Possibly the Congress party in India but that took a long time.
    Solidarity in Poland?
  • Options

My wife feels like day 1 again today. I'm a bit better than that but I tend to lag her symptoms by a day. Currently sat watching my boys playing with wood in the garden. Slightly dangerous but there is only so much telly and board games they can do. Depressed today.

Chin up. You feel awful now. But won't always be so :smile:
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/25/chancellor-help-one-three-self-employed-people-amid-pushback/

The money is expected only to be available to those self-employed people who can prove they have been directly affected, estimated at about 1.7 million out of nearly five million.

Workers are likely to have to demonstrate they have suffered a loss of earnings by comparing to past income tax receipts.

Jan 2019 12 month return according to Guardian.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Fenster said:

Fenster said:

Thank you - great advice. I think after this crisis is over I'll change my ways. It's been an eye-opener.
    Surely an eye-shutter.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm retiring in 5 weeks' time. This is one of the busier periods of my work career (the worst was March 2006, in the run-up to the Finance Act 2004 coming into force, when one of my largest clients also decided it needed a detailed report on its responsibilities in relation to all thirteen of its pension schemes).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    Chris said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

So I turn Sky on - they telling me that Labour has labelled the government "a disgrace"

Then they play an interview from Ashworth saying that certain employers are a disgrace......

I'm begining to hate our media

Kay Burley is a disgrace. Full of her own importance and crass questions

I honestly struggle to understand why you ever watch Sky @Big_G_NorthWales; it cannot be good for your blood pressure.

Other news outlets are available - switch from Sky and do your health a favour! :wink:
    Just get the news from PB like the rest of us. It has a wide variety of intelligent, well-informed people, a constant link to the latest updates from Twitter frequently courtesy of ScottP, and comes with free awesome punning from me.

What more could anyone want?
    To be honest PB is a first class news medium

And I think you queried re a covid 19 vaccine. Dr Foxy confirmed one will be available sometime in the future but when is a different question
    Thanks. That is some comfort. However, time frames with vaccines are likely to be pretty long as I understand it.
    And success isn't guaranteed. People have been searching for a vaccine for the common cold for a lifetime.
    Not really. The 'common cold' is a number of different viruses and a universal vaccine would be extraordinarily difficult if not impossible.
    (There have been various efforts to produce antivirals, which is what people talk about when referring to a "cure for the common cold".)

There have been few vaccine research efforts against individual viruses, but such a vaccine would not be a commercially viable prospect.
    It's hard enough to get uptake of the seasonal flu vaccine, which saves lives; who is going to spend up to a billion dollars on developing a vaccine available in bulk, which gives immunity to perhaps a quarter or a fifth of that season's colds ?
    And how many would get vaccinated even if it were available ?

In contrast, there are something like forty different efforts ongoing to come up with a vaccine for this thing.
    Success is reasonably likely - but we've no good idea how long immunity might last.
    I saw a statement a while ago that for other coronaviruses reinfection is rare in the same or the following season.
    Yes, I think that's correct; it seem to be at least two or three years before immunity to a particular virus declines.

There was a (relatively small) long term followup study of those who were infected with and survived the SARS coronavirus which showed some antibody persistence for up to thirteen years.
    https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.02.12.20021386v1.full.pdf
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,593
    Andy_JS said:

FPT:

"Two thirds of patients who die of coronavirus would have died this year anyway, government advisor says

Professor Neil Ferguson said experts were now expecting around 20,000 deaths, although said it may turn out to be a lot less"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/two-thirds-patients-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway

A 20,000 spike would be about an extra 3.5% deaths, normally about 618,000 per year. Within normal variation range. Wold be a great outcome.

• Options

Sorry to hear that.

Hope the recovery comes soon.

My daughter is still improving daily so far (day 6)
  • Options
    With a third of TfL drivers off sick (really?), I can't help but think how different this would be if the system was fully automated.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Around 80% of Wales will contract Covid-19, says Welsh chief medical officer
    Wales' chief medical officer Dr Frank Atherton said an estimated 80% of people will contract Covid-19 "at some point".

"What we've been doing, the strategy in the UK as a whole, has been to suppress that, to delay the onset of that so that the NHS can cope, so that we have time for the NHS to get ready," he said.

"At some point, once the interventions that we've put in place here in Wales and in the UK are lifted, there is a risk that people will then start to become infected again.

"And so the way in which we release those measures will be very critical.

"What we're doing at the moment is watching other countries which have put these quite repressive measures in place, to see what happens when they lift, how quickly can we lift those measures?

"These are all unanswered questions but everybody is vulnerable because nobody has experienced this virus before - it's a new virus to humanity."
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
  • Options

Lets say I run a business who faces little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. The government promises all will be ok and pledges £330bn in government backed business interruption loans and a drop in the discount rate to 0.1%.

"My bank will help" I think "with the government offering it almost free money AND guarantees". So I speak to the bank. Who at best want my home as guarantee against the government backed cash and want 12% interest to pay back the 0.1% free government money. At best. At worst they decide that my business isn't viable as I have little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. So won't issue me the government guaranteed money as there's too much risk that the government won't guarantee the loan.

Either way, despite Sunak's announcement backed endlessly on here by HYUFD my business folds. Good says HYUFD, your business folding is proof that the government has acted decisively to stop your business folding. Your now out of work employees are proof that the government has acted decisively to stop people going out of work. Hurrah and huzzah says HYUFD.

And thats if you are a viable limited company. If you are self employed or a contractor or don't have rateable premises, go and do one says the party of small business and entrepreneurs. "Get on your bike. Drag yourselves up by your bootstraps" / "Fuck Business"...

What are the conditions the government are putting on the guarantees? I thought they were pretty much for all businesses large and small.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,804
    RobD said:

With a third of TfL drivers off sick (really?), I can't help but think how different this would be if the system was fully automated.

Apparently on the Victoria Line the drivers hardly do anything because the line is already automated to all intents and purposes. Also, when they built the Docklands Light Railway they made darn sure it didn't have any drivers to begin with.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Felipe VI is in hospital not sure of reason
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,740

This virus is a slow burner it seems. Take care.

I have managed to arrange testing, though will be a few days for results.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,477

Last week Sainsbury's emailed me to say they have decided I am a vulnerable customer and allowed me to book a slot for delivery. Delivered on time.

Great.

Today, when I tried to book another slot, I was told I am not on their list of vulnerable customers.

We have a similar thing (account for my parents - we're not in a vulnerable group ourselves). Can't book at present (same message as you, I think) but further down the page it says that's because we had a delivery recently (which is true) and they will be emailing to let us know we're priority again (and open slots to us) next week.

May be you just have to wait for that email.
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT:

"Two thirds of patients who die of coronavirus would have died this year anyway, government advisor says

Professor Neil Ferguson said experts were now expecting around 20,000 deaths, although said it may turn out to be a lot less"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/25/two-thirds-patients-die-coronavirus-would-have-died-year-anyway

A 20,000 spike would be about an extra 3.5% deaths, normally about 618,000 per year. Within normal variation range. Wold be a great outcome.

But would make us amongst the worst in the World.
    USA is going to win the shit virus lottery hope we are well down the league table.
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749
    Not sure about these golden hours before opening, it tempts old people out on basis they will be que jumping and getting it before itsgone. They shouldn’t be tempted out on basis they might get what they need and then surrounded by lot of stuff they don’t need (there were no eggs today, nor meat for a curry or any meal) instead home delivery shouldn’t be quite so impossible.

Is it like the Irish potato famine? Those who hold the goods know where its really needed, but shipping elsewhere to those paying more or whom government claim have priority ie themselves?
  • Options

"Dyson gets order to produce 10,000 newly-designed ventilators for NHS" according to the Guardian.

I hope they are also going to place an order with Ventilator Challenge UK too - wouldn't want to see us putting all our eggs in one untested basket.

Serious observation.

Our Dyson V6 Absolute is so unreliable, a victory for style over substance, that we have bought a G-Tech Air ram, which although a bit fragile works perfectly.
    We swapped from Dyson to Miele years ago. The Miele is fantastic - much better. Mind you that was before the power levels were dropped.
  • Options

Hope things improve soon
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508

Very easy for me to glibly find a bright side, but it must be said that the longer you have it, the more it loses the pitched battle with your immune system. If you and your good lady can continue to cope with this and beat it at home, you'll be one of the blessed immune ones.
  • Options
    egg said:

Not sure about these golden hours before opening, it tempts old people out on basis they will be que jumping and getting it before itsgone. They shouldn’t be tempted out on basis they might get what they need and then surrounded by lot of stuff they don’t need (there were no eggs today, nor meat for a curry or any meal) instead home delivery shouldn’t be quite so impossible.

Is it like the Irish potato famine? Those who hold the goods know where its really needed, but shipping elsewhere to those paying more or whom government claim have priority ie themselves?

The limit on items still applies during this time AFAIK.
  • Options
    egg said:

The whole point is so that they can go shopping while the shelves are as stocked as they can be for the day.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Get well soon, @GideonWise
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT:

Although if the professor is right with his two-thirds estimate, it would be around an extra 6,700 which would be about 1% instead of 3.5%.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,275
    Floater said:

geoffw said:

geoffw said:

Germany: 1286 new cases.

edit: 1989 new cases and 16 deaths

Germany has been increasing at 4-5k per day so I suspect that 1989 is meaningless - just so far today. Either that or it's good news.
    Ah, thanks. Apols for posting.
    And its already increased to over 2k
    If anyone is following the German numbers it's worth noting the testing guidelines tightened this week after the testing labs warned they don't have the capacity to do more tests, so direct comparisons before and after Tuesday are a bit difficult.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    TGOHF666 said:
    So that's 28 on top of yesterday's count of 465?

If so that seems like "good" news (insofar as any deaths can be considered good news), even with the earlier cutoff.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:
    So if deaths are uniformly distributed about the day, the figure should have been closer to 35? There's a reply to his post saying 9am was being used previously, not 1pm.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

This virus is a slow burner it seems. Take care.

I have managed to arrange testing, though will be a few days for results.
    Good news, hope its a good outcome.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804
    RobD said:

What are the conditions the government are putting on the guarantees? I thought they were pretty much for all businesses large and small.
    They are bank loans not government loans. The govt guarantee is for the bank only. So the bank can make whatever conditions it sees fit. The loan scheme is not accessible to many businesses, and will be desirable to only a small minority of businesses. The furloughed wages scheme is great - if it does what it says on the tin, but we are still waiting on details.
  • Options
    WHO - "Encouraging signs in many areas of Europe"
  • Options

RobD said:

They are bank loans not government loans. The govt guarantee is for the bank only. So the bank can make whatever conditions it sees fit. The loan scheme is not accessible to many businesses, and will be desirable to only a small minority of businesses. The furloughed wages scheme is great - if it does what it says on the tin, but we are still waiting on details.
    But if the government is guaranteeing every single loan, why would the bank refuse?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,038

I had a bonus walk to the gate and back this morning to put some more rubbish in the bin. The lane was deserted.

I shall be heading back later to collect the empty bin.

I used the last of the milk at breakfast; more should arrive tomorrow. So it is fruit tea for the rest of the day.

My wife and I did have a walk yesterday, down to the nearby river through the centre of our small town. There was a small group, well separated, outside the pharmacy, which was only open a couple of hours.. think the company was trying to keep two pharmacies open with one pharmacist..... but we didn't exchange more than a wave with anyone.
  • Options
    Breaking: Chess Candidates tournament stopped halfway through!! Shit just got real.

Players not sure how they're getting home.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    edited March 2020

Yes you are a fanatical anti Tory ideologue who wants the government to pay trillions of pounds in temporary grants to every business in the country that asks leading to huge tax hikes for every business and taxpayer once restrictions end and destroying any prospect of growth and guaranteeing recession if not depression once the crisis ends.

As opposed to the Government backed loans and payment of 80% of wages while restrictions remain in place
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221
    TGOHF666 said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2020/03/25/chancellor-help-one-three-self-employed-people-amid-pushback/

The money is expected only to be available to those self-employed people who can prove they have been directly affected, estimated at about 1.7 million out of nearly five million.

Workers are likely to have to demonstrate they have suffered a loss of earnings by comparing to past income tax receipts.

What the hell does “directly affected” mean? The government has effectively shut down the greater part of the economy - anything that is not health-related - as a result of its instructions. If it wants people to follow those instructions for the greater good then it must not be mean and stingy about compensating them. Otherwise people will feel forced to do stuff that puts them and others at risk.
  • Options
    GlengyleGlengyle Posts: 11
    Has anyone been able to find data on regional trends within the UK?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

McDonald's telling employees it doesn't know if its employees on zhc (97%) will get paid. "Waiting for Govt clarification"
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Cyclefree said:

TGOHF666 said:

What the hell does “directly affected” mean? The government has effectively shut down the greater part of the economy - anything that is not health-related - as a result of its instructions. If it wants people to follow those instructions for the greater good then it must not be mean and stingy about compensating them. Otherwise people will feel forced to do stuff that puts them and others at risk.
    I imagine they want to exclude people who are able to continue working from home and earning money, much like the scheme for employed people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

But if the government is guaranteeing every single loan, why would the bank refuse?
    The govt are guaranteeing 80% of each individual loan, but only 60% of the banks total loans through the scheme, so the bank does need some criteria to make them commercially viable.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,735
    DavidL said:

Alistair said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

UKIP
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not the government, the banks. The guarantee is from the government - the ultimate guarantor loan where the banks Cannot Lose Money. Which is why the banks are demanding a business plan that is viable (impossible when the business has been closed by government order) and a personal guarantee from the director.

The banks do not need to do this - the guarantee is from the government. The banks should not do this - it renders worthless the entire policy as the cash is not available. And the up to 12% interest rate chargeable on money they can access for close to zero is an egregious pisstake.

If government doesn't want the economy to stop due to the bankruptcy of a significant proportion of business it needs to act. Companies can't pay their workers even on furlough as the cash isn't available. Can't borrow money as the cash isn't available. Can't trade as cash isn't coming in. Money is needed now. Hard currency into bank accounts now. Not a promise of a loan the banks won't give you. Not a promise of wages money at some point in the future. Not "we've had three attempts and have ignored the self employed every time but will have a 4th attempt at some point which like the other things won't actually help anyone."

Cash. Now.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

Bugger. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Options

RobD said:

McDonald's telling employees it doesn't know if its employees on the (97%) will get paid. "Waiting for Govt clarification"
    It would be surprising if they weren't, given the workers were furloughed because of the government's advice. Do you have a source for the quote?
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

The govt are guaranteeing 80% of each individual loan, but only 60% of the banks total loans through the scheme, so the bank does need some criteria to make them commercially viable.
    Ah okay. That is less generous than I had originally imagined.
  • Options

RobD said:

McDonald's telling employees it doesn't know if its employees on zhc (97%) will get paid. "Waiting for Govt clarification"
    Id guess clarification comes in todays press conference with Sunak. Delay will cost jobs, employers do need to see the detail to know whether to start furloughing workers today or not. Worst case scenario for a business is to furlough your work force and then find out you are not eligible because of restrictions on the scheme yet to be announced.
  • Options
    RobD said:

In the 80's, when Bank Rate was normally in double figures and charges on outstanding rent from Local Authorities were up in the 20's, it was said that Banks were places that would lend you an umbrella on a sunny day but wanted it back at the first sign of rain.
    My late father-in-law was a senior Gas Board official, charged with ensuring that bills were paid. He used to say that when he went to a creditors meeting for a small company, and the Bank admitted that they were not a preferential creditor a cheer would go up from the other creditors.
  • Options
    A great example calling into LBC now. Business closed by government order. Can't get the business continuity loan as the business has zero revenue. Can't pay the staff. Can furlough the staff but can't pay the staff as can't get the business interruption loan and the furlough money doesn't yet exist...
  • Options
    kamski said:

Breaking: Chess Candidates tournament stopped halfway through!! Shit just got real.

Cant they just get a 2 metre board and massive rooks, knights and pawns?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,965
    edited March 2020
    People on building sites view... they seem unhappy with the govt from my small sample size

Q1..Please can I use a stepladder....
    Answer..No

Q2..Please can I take my hard hat off for 2 minutes while I work in a place where I can’t fit my head in if I keep it on....
    Answer..No

Q3..Please can I use a perfectly good drill that has a PAT test out of date by 1 day while I await re-testing...
    Answer..No

Q4..Please can I run an extension lead across the floor for 5 minutes ....
    Answer..No

Q5..Please can I use another trades mobile scaffold which I am trained to build...
    Answer..On many sites No

Q6..Please can I undo my chin strap in a building with enclosed windows when the temperature is about 90 degrees...
    Answer..On many sites, No

Q7..Should I go to work on site when there is a global pandemic that is the most contagious thing ever known to man, travel on the tube squeezed in as usual with hundreds of other people, use a finger scanner for access and get in a small lift with 10 other blokes and a lift driver that stays in there all day...
    Answer..Yes

Ok thanks.....as long as my health, safety and well-being remains your top priority I will crack on 👍🏼
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,740
    Glengyle said:

The HSJ had a map of English cases, updated yesterday. Not seen anything for other UK countries.

https://www.hsj.co.uk/news/coronavirus-deaths-mapped/7027212.article

• Options

Mr. Tyndall, African hunting dogs will help their injured, allowing three-legged family members to turn up late and feed at kill sites.

In the excellent Painted Wolves (another name from the surprisingly enormous list for the species) episode of Dynasties, the mate of the alpha female, who was too old to escape lions, chose to stay with her and die at her side.

[NB that part was not captured on camera but was stated during the programme].

I believe there are several dinosaur fossils showing healed broken bones, too.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    So - update from selfish, idiotic (extended) family members - this is a doozy.

This is from London

Nephew works for a builder - they travel around in builders van as well as work together on site.

Builder is now infected.

Builder before diagnosed also attended a large family gathering on Sunday.....

Nephew was living with girlfriend and child

Girlfriend bans him from house

Notwithstanding she has been living with him she is not isolating and still goes out - including visiting her parents every day.

Nephew moves back home with parents and siblings - shares bathroom and ..... goes out god knows where today......

They know what I think........

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,508
    Andy_JS said:

egg said:

The limit on items still applies during this time AFAIK.
    It's an interesting question, because if the vulnerable are preparing to go into serious isolation, perhaps they should be able to 'bulk buy' certain items - though I can't see eggs being a good candidate for this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yes you are a fanatical anti Tory ideologue who wants the government to pay trillions of pounds in temporary grants to every business in the country that asks leading to huge tax hikes for every business and taxpayer once restrictions end and destroying any prospect of growth and guaranteeing recession if not depression once the crisis ends.

As opposed to the Government backed loans and payment of 80% of wages while restrictions remain in place
    Hi Donald. How do you have time to moonlight on PB.com and watch Fux News and tweet endlessly and spout paranoid gibberish in your press conferences about how America has already beaten the chinese virus which is only one person and is really a democrat conspiracy.
  • Options

RobD said:

Not the government, the banks. The guarantee is from the government - the ultimate guarantor loan where the banks Cannot Lose Money. Which is why the banks are demanding a business plan that is viable (impossible when the business has been closed by government order) and a personal guarantee from the director.

The banks do not need to do this - the guarantee is from the government. The banks should not do this - it renders worthless the entire policy as the cash is not available. And the up to 12% interest rate chargeable on money they can access for close to zero is an egregious pisstake.

If government doesn't want the economy to stop due to the bankruptcy of a significant proportion of business it needs to act. Companies can't pay their workers even on furlough as the cash isn't available. Can't borrow money as the cash isn't available. Can't trade as cash isn't coming in. Money is needed now. Hard currency into bank accounts now. Not a promise of a loan the banks won't give you. Not a promise of wages money at some point in the future. Not "we've had three attempts and have ignored the self employed every time but will have a 4th attempt at some point which like the other things won't actually help anyone."

Cash. Now.
    One point on the banks vs govt split. RBS is still majority tax payer owned so could presumably be made to follow the spirit of the govts plan. If they led, the pressure on the other banks would be much greater. Ive never understood why we havent used our stake in the banks to align them more closely with UK interests. If we were going to bail out the banks why be a completely passive investor?
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. Johnson standing with his hand in his pocket as if he's just grabbing a moment from solving the nation's problems.

I would have said the photo of the Queen seems more genuine. Perhaps that's how she does phone conversations. But then I see the strategically placed pots of homemade jam on the table and wonder. Maybe the Queen just does the authenticity thing better.

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1242896686122504192
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785

Commiserations - have you tried high dose Vitamin C?

There are some reports that it can help, and when asked the DCMO said "it can do no harm".

Maybe just placebo effect, but take your wins where you can!
  • Options

RobD said:

Id guess clarification comes in todays press conference with Sunak. Delay will cost jobs, employers do need to see the detail to know whether to start furloughing workers today or not. Worst case scenario for a business is to furlough your work force and then find out you are not eligible because of restrictions on the scheme yet to be announced.
    True but meanwhile people cant pay their Bill's
    Clarity needs to come this week.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. Johnson standing with his hands as if he's just grabbing a moment from solving the nation's problems.

I would have said the photo of the Queen seems more genuine. Perhaps that's how she does phone conversations. But then I see the strategically placed pots of homemade jam on the table and wonder. Maybe the Queen just does the authenticity thing better.

Is this another case of Boris derangement syndrome? :p

Flags strategically placed? Come on.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

By that token, you are a fanatical pro Tory ideologue who is unable productively to engage with questions about government policy...
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. Johnson standing with his hand in his pocket as if he's just grabbing a moment from solving the nation's problems.

Boris has a picture of Queen's on his wall. Eat your hearts out, Balliol. He's disowned you.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. Johnson standing with his hands as if he's just grabbing a moment from solving the nation's problems.

Do you ever see Johnson now when he's not framed by two Union flags?

Just asking....

Edit. Just scrolled past eleven different images of Johnson flanked by flags on the No 10 Twitter feed to come to the twelfth that doesn't have one.
  • Options

RobD said:

Cash. Now.
    One point on the banks vs govt split. RBS is still majority tax payer owned so could presumably be made to follow the spirit of the govts plan. If they led, the pressure on the other banks would be much greater. Ive never understood why we havent used our stake in the banks to align them more closely with UK interests. If we were going to bail out the banks why be a completely passive investor?
    TSB said they will not be requiring personal guarantees for 90% of these loans on 5 live this morning.

But no guarantee!!
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Just asking....
    Yes, quite often.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

Not as good as the child placed strategically in a government red box.

https://i.ndtvimg.com/i/2016-07/florence-cameron_650x400_61468498710.jpg
  • Options

kamski said:

They'd still have to touch their opponents pieces when capturing... But seriously I think it's more about the players not being able to concentrate on the chess and being worried about being able to leave Russia in 2 weeks
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited March 2020
    So from twitter, we are now to take it that the government are fiddling the figures like the Chinese...is that correct?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

By that token, you are a fanatical pro Tory ideologue who is unable productively to engage with questions about government policy...
    That is completely unfair, HYUFD's ability to productively obfuscate and derail such questions is unparalleled.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Always good to keep snacks on hand.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

"Government backed loans" - which are nothing of the sort. The government is guaranteeing the BANKS not the loans being offered by the banks which have to be guaranteed by the director.

"payment of 80% of wages" - wages paid so far £zero.

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020

kamski said:

A great image there ;,) A sort of Alice-in-Wonderland surrealness is one way of coping with the situation.
  • Options
    Update from the real world...one of my elderly parents had to visit the GPs for routine test yesterday and obviously went with full protection, mask, goggles, gloves, etc.

However, they said other than them and the healthcare professional, nobody else was taking a blind bit of notice, and it wasn't youngsters, full of oldies, all hanging around chatting in groups in the car parks, wandering around to the various shops, as if nothing is wrong.

Just mind blowing. It is one thing 20 year olds thinking I am indestructible and not understanding their actions will help spread it, but these people are super high risk.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    tlg86 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

History will confirm, that picture will be about the best thing to come out of the Cameron Years.....

It is quite adorable.
  • Options

So from twitter, we are now to take it that the government are fiddling the figures like the Chinese...is that correct?

I wasnt going to mention that.

Is it true that families need to give permission for victims to appear in the stats from yesterday.

I cant believe that's true has to be twitter bollocks.
  • Options
    Glengyle said:

Daily tracker of incidence of Covid-19 as well as per 100k of the population for every county and large town in the UK:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-uk-tracker-how-many-cases-are-in-your-area-updated-daily-11956258
  • Options

Update from the real world...one of my elderly parents had to visit the GPs for routine test yesterday and obviously went with full protection, mask, goggles, gloves, etc.

However, they said other than them and the healthcare professional, nobody else was taking a blind bit of notice, and it wasn't youngsters, full of oldies, all hanging around chatting in groups in the car parks, wandering around to the various shops, as if nothing is wrong.

Just mind blowing. It is one thing 20 year olds thinking I am indestructible and not understanding their actions will help spread it, but these people are super high risk.

It "seems" the people who dont take it seriously tend to under 25 or over 65.
  • Options

Is it true that families need to give permission for victims to appear in the stats from yesterday.

When the number of cases were small it was probably important to do this. Less so now there are many more.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    kamski said:

I'm sure they could pawn something...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Just asking....
    Yes, quite often.
    Take a look at the No 10 Twitter feed. Eleven different images of Johnson all flanked by flags until you come to the twelfth one that doesn't

I don't think that's a coincidence.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Just asking....

Edit. Just scrolled past eleven different images of Johnson flanked by flags on the No 10 Twitter feed to come to the twelfth that doesn't have one.
    Hardly a new thing - he was brandishing two Union flags when stuck on that zipwire.....
  • Options

Anecdote. OAP friend was complaining yesterday that they went to a B&Q the other day and the people behind them, also OAP's were standing very close. My friend remonstrated and was told that 'everyone had to die of something!'.

Think I'd rather be shot by a jealous husband. Particularly if he was a lot younger than me!!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Mike's right ... paying a little helper for buying and delivering groceries could be a problem, especially as "hard cash" is reckoned to be absolutely covered in germs of one form or another. I'm not sure whether this also applies to our new plastic notes. The obvious solution is to arrange an electronic payment for those who have online banking, which in my case has reduced the number of cheques I write to only around 4 or 5 per annum. Easier still would be to pay by PayPal, well known to all those of us who have bought or sold om eBay, etc.

Can you come up with a system where by people on the vulnerable list get a personal number issued by the government. They can then run up a tab at the supermarkets, underwritten by the government. Paid off electronically would be good as well for those that can.

Sure there are lots of technical issues but someone smarter than me can figure those out :smiley:
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I don't believe so. Do you ever have to give permission to appear in anonymous health stats? And GDPR rules have been suspended for certain things.

And even if it was, I don't understand the logic of the twitter conspiracy theory....all that happens is the deaths get announced today, rather than yesterday. So it all ends up in the total.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Just asking....

Perhaps that is because the flags are in proximity to his desk, or to the podiums used for the press conference?
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600
    I found SouthamObserver's description of the family funeral very moving. When religious staff were put on the key workers' list some posters (who I won't name) were outraged but in such times many people with faith will seek pastoral support. Also, many religious leaders have been working with community groups to identify those in their area most in need of help.

Be kind everyone.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

That's the good old @Rochdale of old!
This discussion has been closed.