Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The NHS “army of volunteers” could be a Cummings masterstroke

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,033
    Charles said:

Mike's right ... paying a little helper for buying and delivering groceries could be a problem, especially as "hard cash" is reckoned to be absolutely covered in germs of one form or another. I'm not sure whether this also applies to our new plastic notes. The obvious solution is to arrange an electronic payment for those who have online banking, which in my case has reduced the number of cheques I write to only around 4 or 5 per annum. Easier still would be to pay by PayPal, well known to all those of us who have bought or sold om eBay, etc.

Can you come up with a system where by people on the vulnerable list get a personal number issued by the government. They can then run up a tab at the supermarkets, underwritten by the government. Paid off electronically would be good as well for those that can.

Sure there are lots of technical issues but someone smarter than me can figure those out :smiley:
    How much time do we have or need? Are we going to walk this way again?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,883
    RobD said:

So from twitter, we are now to take it that the government are fiddling the figures like the Chinese...is that correct?

I wasnt going to mention that.

Is it true that families need to give permission for victims to appear in the stats from yesterday.

I cant believe that's true has to be twitter bollocks.
    When the number of cases were small it was probably important to do this. Less so now there are many more.
    Some Twitterati saying only introduced yesterday.

Cant say I give it any credence.

Though apparently its "confirmed" yesterday's numbers ignored those submitted between 7.30am and the previous normal 9am deadline.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764

Update from the real world...one of my elderly parents had to visit the GPs for routine test yesterday and obviously went with full protection, mask, goggles, gloves, etc.

However, they said other than them and the healthcare professional, nobody else was taking a blind bit of notice, and it wasn't youngsters, full of oldies, all hanging around chatting in groups in the car parks, wandering around to the various shops, as if nothing is wrong.

Just mind blowing. It is one thing 20 year olds thinking I am indestructible and not understanding their actions will help spread it, but these people are super high risk.

Anecdote. OAP friend was complaining yesterday that they went to a B&Q the other day and the people behind them, also OAP's were standing very close. My friend remonstrated and was told that 'everyone had to die of something!'.

Think I'd rather be shot by a jealous husband. Particularly if he was a lot younger than me!!
    "Or when I'm 91
    with silver hair
    and sitting in a barber's chair
    may rival gangsters
    with hamfisted tommyguns burst in
    and give me a short back and insides"

-Roger McGough: Let me die a young man's death
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

RobD said:

So from twitter, we are now to take it that the government are fiddling the figures like the Chinese...is that correct?

Is it true that families need to give permission for victims to appear in the stats from yesterday.

When the number of cases were small it was probably important to do this. Less so now there are many more.

Though apparently its "confirmed" yesterday's numbers ignored those submitted between 7.30am and the previous normal 9am deadline.
    Take everything on twitter with a pinch of salt (size according to who is posting it). As for the confirmed fact about the deadline, that sounds like a very minor change that wouldn't have changed the numbers all that much.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285

Update from the real world...one of my elderly parents had to visit the GPs for routine test yesterday and obviously went with full protection, mask, goggles, gloves, etc.

However, they said other than them and the healthcare professional, nobody else was taking a blind bit of notice, and it wasn't youngsters, full of oldies, all hanging around chatting in groups in the car parks, wandering around to the various shops, as if nothing is wrong.

Just mind blowing. It is one thing 20 year olds thinking I am indestructible and not understanding their actions will help spread it, but these people are super high risk.

It "seems" the people who dont take it seriously tend to under 25 or over 65.
    My parents phoned me to say they just couldn't believe it. It wasn't even that they were talking to one another from the other side of the car park, they were huddled up in small groups just chatting away for ages.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310

We swapped from Dyson to Miele years ago. The Miele is fantastic - much better. Mind you that was before the power levels were dropped.

Miele make beautiful looking objects. Couple of years ago when we needed a new fridge we went out to look at some (forgot where) and I simply could not leave the Miele section. I walked round and round, gazing at them, peering from every angle, poking into every nook and cranny, just stroking them a lot of the time. Incredible design. Eventually bought a Kenwood.
  • Options

I don't believe so. Do you ever have to give permission to appear in anonymous health stats? And GDPR rules have been suspended for certain things.

And even if it was, I don't understand the logic of the twitter conspiracy theory....all that happens is the deaths get announced today, rather than yesterday. So it all ends up in the total.
    You are right it's only a 1 day phenomenon.

Crossed fingers todays new deaths stay in double figures.
  • Options
    SandraMc said:

I found SouthamObserver's description of the family funeral very moving. When religious staff were put on the key workers' list some posters (who I won't name) were outraged but in such times many people with faith will seek pastoral support. Also, many religious leaders have been working with community groups to identify those in their area most in need of help.

Be kind everyone.

I once read a poem by an Army Chaplain, can't recall it all, but it did include something about when he spoke to people about to go into battle.
    'Although I'm not a churchy chap, I wouldn't mind a prayer!"
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366
    SandraMc said:

I found SouthamObserver's description of the family funeral very moving. When religious staff were put on the key workers' list some posters (who I won't name) were outraged but in such times many people with faith will seek pastoral support. Also, many religious leaders have been working with community groups to identify those in their area most in need of help.

Be kind everyone.

..and not only the leaders. Parishioners are also.looking after and keeping in contact with people in the community .
  • Options

I don't believe so. Do you ever have to give permission to appear in anonymous health stats? And GDPR rules have been suspended for certain things.

And even if it was, I don't understand the logic of the twitter conspiracy theory....all that happens is the deaths get announced today, rather than yesterday. So it all ends up in the total.

Unfortunately, I think we are soon going to be regularly seeing triple digit numbers. Especially if my parents experience is widespread, where oldies aren't listening to the government advice one little bit.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    TOPPING said:

Of course HYUFD doesn't get it.

Lets say I run a business who faces little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. The government promises all will be ok and pledges £330bn in government backed business interruption loans and a drop in the discount rate to 0.1%.

"My bank will help" I think "with the government offering it almost free money AND guarantees". So I speak to the bank. Who at best want my home as guarantee against the government backed cash and want 12% interest to pay back the 0.1% free government money. At best. At worst they decide that my business isn't viable as I have little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. So won't issue me the government guaranteed money as there's too much risk that the government won't guarantee the loan.

Either way, despite Sunak's announcement backed endlessly on here by HYUFD my business folds. Good says HYUFD, your business folding is proof that the government has acted decisively to stop your business folding. Your now out of work employees are proof that the government has acted decisively to stop people going out of work. Hurrah and huzzah says HYUFD.

And thats if you are a viable limited company. If you are self employed or a contractor or don't have rateable premises, go and do one says the party of small business and entrepreneurs. "Get on your bike. Drag yourselves up by your bootstraps" / "Fuck Business"...

Can anyone see the problem here?

That's the good old @Rochdale of old!
    Labour tried the 'tories f*** business' thing last December - can't recall how it worked out for them..
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    I posted this last night, but it is a brilliant watch. I wish this man was POTUS, it would be transformative for the US and the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe8fIjxicoo
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Take everything on twitter with a pinch of salt (size according to who is posting it). As for the confirmed fact about the deadline, that sounds like a very minor change that wouldn't have changed the numbers all that much.
    Hope you are right.

Mrs BJ just been granted another Sainsburys delivery slot on Sunday.

We must remember to order some chocolate this time we were too busy with staples last time and have not had chocolate or a takeaway for over a week.

Silver linings!!
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

Lets say I run a business who faces little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. The government promises all will be ok and pledges £330bn in government backed business interruption loans and a drop in the discount rate to 0.1%.

"My bank will help" I think "with the government offering it almost free money AND guarantees". So I speak to the bank. Who at best want my home as guarantee against the government backed cash and want 12% interest to pay back the 0.1% free government money. At best. At worst they decide that my business isn't viable as I have little / no income for an indeterminate period of time with no clear view of when normality will return or indeed what normal looks like. So won't issue me the government guaranteed money as there's too much risk that the government won't guarantee the loan.

Either way, despite Sunak's announcement backed endlessly on here by HYUFD my business folds. Good says HYUFD, your business folding is proof that the government has acted decisively to stop your business folding. Your now out of work employees are proof that the government has acted decisively to stop people going out of work. Hurrah and huzzah says HYUFD.

And thats if you are a viable limited company. If you are self employed or a contractor or don't have rateable premises, go and do one says the party of small business and entrepreneurs. "Get on your bike. Drag yourselves up by your bootstraps" / "Fuck Business"...

Labour tried the 'tories f*** business' thing last December - can't recall how it worked out for them..
    Lots of people don't believe Johnson believes what he says or says what he believes.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,763

FF43 said:

RobD said:

FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. Johnson standing with his hands as if he's just grabbing a moment from solving the nation's problems.

I would have said the photo of the Queen seems more genuine. Perhaps that's how she does phone conversations. But then I see the strategically placed pots of homemade jam on the table and wonder. Maybe the Queen just does the authenticity thing better.

https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1242896686122504192

Is this another case of Boris derangement syndrome? :p

Flags strategically placed? Come on.
    Do you ever see Johnson now when he's not framed by two Union flags?

Just asking....

Edit. Just scrolled past eleven different images of Johnson flanked by flags on the No 10 Twitter feed to come to the twelfth that doesn't have one.
    Hardly a new thing - he was brandishing two Union flags when stuck on that zipwire.....
    Fair enough. That zipwire photo was massively posed. All politicians are obsessed by their self image. Johnson takes this to another level.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

SandraMc said:

Be kind everyone.

..and not only the leaders. Parishioners are also.looking after and keeping in contact with people in the community .
    It's worth noting that religion got humanity through every natural disaster in the last several thousand years, up to some point in the last hundred or so. One of the big remaining questions for atheism/humanism/whatever to answer is what you tell someone who's just lost everything they had due to sheer bad luck. "It is the will of God" may not seem very adequate to our 21st century minds, but does come with a pretty good track record.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

I believe there are several dinosaur fossils showing healed broken bones, too.

Was a very nice post and people now ruining things.
  • Options

Unfortunately, I think we are soon going to be regularly seeing triple digit numbers. Especially if my parents experience is widespread, where oldies aren't listening to the government advice one little bit.
    2 oldies in this house not been out for 8 days.

Majority I think are on lockdown but not all.
  • Options

Well my presumption was that the vast majority of oldies were taking the sensible steps such as my parents and yourself. I really hope the experience I report is just an isolated incident.
  • Options
    RobD said:

I heard (Newsnight) that there has been a methodology change in that a death is not now being included in the reported figures until the family gives permission. Impact unknown.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    [
    The Ivans have been chasing the de Gaulle CSG around the North Sea.
  • Options

Well my presumption was that the vast majority of oldies were taking the sensible steps such as my parents and yourself. I really hope the experience I report is just an isolated incident.
    The poll on Peston's show was reassuring, showing 90%+ compliance with the government advice.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yes you are a fanatical anti Tory ideologue who wants the government to pay trillions of pounds in temporary grants to every business in the country that asks leading to huge tax hikes for every business and taxpayer once restrictions end and destroying any prospect of growth and guaranteeing recession if not depression once the crisis ends.

As opposed to the Government backed loans and payment of 80% of wages while restrictions remain in place

By that token, you are a fanatical pro Tory ideologue who is unable productively to engage with questions about government policy...
    "Government backed loans" - which are nothing of the sort. The government is guaranteeing the BANKS not the loans being offered by the banks which have to be guaranteed by the director.

"payment of 80% of wages" - wages paid so far £zero.

As I keep saying I cannot see how this Furlough payment is going to work. It all sounds so good and easy, but does anyone really think it will be? I can see loads of restrictions put in place and business will not be able to access the website due to incredible demand,(If the website ever happens)

Our guys on site have all finished now and think they are getting extra paid holiday. They are all chuffed. I am very doubtful about the whole thing.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

If there was a split - which, I am honest, I do not expect there to be - the more dangerous scenario would be the two sides splitting the Nationalist vote (which let us not forget, is a minority of the overall electorate) and letting Unionist candidates through the middle.

But my suspicion is all that will happen is a lot of damaging mud slinging, which may topple Sturgeon and cost the SNP ten seats next year but would not be fatal to it. Ultimately, there are huge policy differences over just about everything in the SNP - Europe, Education, Health, Policing - but because they all want independence everything else is secondary. This will just be another sore.

It will be interesting what becomes of the SNP once the goal of independence is achieved. At the moment they are able to secure the votes of people with very different politics - e.g. our own @malcolmg and @Theuniondivvie who I sense from their posts are right and left (of centre) respectively - drawn together by a shared belief that Scotland does not belong in the UK. Such people, and there must be loads, will probably not be voting for the same party post indy.
    There will not be indy.
    I doubt the vote will split and it is really only a matter of time, G is completely wrong. It is only people of his era holding it up, the young are massively in favour so clock is ticking.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,518
    Wonder if anyone has missed this? In order for the supermarkets to prioritise you for deliveries - they either do it by age or by data they are being given by the government. So you need to register here -

https://www.gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279

Oldies around me and mate's parents all seem to be locked down.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    So when will we get first reports of supermarket home delivery vans being hijacked?
  • Options
    edited March 2020

kinabalu said:

ydoethur said:

If there was a split - which, I am honest, I do not expect there to be - the more dangerous scenario would be the two sides splitting the Nationalist vote (which let us not forget, is a minority of the overall electorate) and letting Unionist candidates through the middle.

But my suspicion is all that will happen is a lot of damaging mud slinging, which may topple Sturgeon and cost the SNP ten seats next year but would not be fatal to it. Ultimately, there are huge policy differences over just about everything in the SNP - Europe, Education, Health, Policing - but because they all want independence everything else is secondary. This will just be another sore.

It will be interesting what becomes of the SNP once the goal of independence is achieved. At the moment they are able to secure the votes of people with very different politics - e.g. our own @malcolmg and @Theuniondivvie who I sense from their posts are right and left (of centre) respectively - drawn together by a shared belief that Scotland does not belong in the UK. Such people, and there must be loads, will probably not be voting for the same party post indy.
    The point is they fear independence won't happen at all. Coronavirus is a disaster for them as is Brexit. They represent huge barriers which did not exist in 2014 and Sturgeon is being blamed for letting the momentum slip, despite her obvious successes and credibility so far as the public is concerned. This is stressing the coalition and Salmond's massive sense of entitlement and grievance is a match about to be dropped into a tinder-box.

All the old uglies, misogynists and bampots are re-appearing who they need to keep under wraps (Macneil, Cherry, Neil et al) and this is horrifying the more moderate members not to mention the women who are appalled at Salmond's behaviour.

Nicola has conducted herself well so far during the Coronavirus, but for the SNP's long term objectives it's horrific. The UK Government is being seen as the Government again, for better or worse. Anyone living in England will not understand quite what a change that is. The Scottish Government is struggling for airtime. The EU is appearing as an irrelevance at best. When we get through this the celebration will be nationwide.
    The "window" of what is politically possible has just shrunk dramatically. And it does not stretch to a massive constitutional upheaval like Scottish independence.

And, even if bumbling Boris seems unattractive to centre-left Scots, they will soon have a Labour Party led by a grown-up to vote for as an alternative.

The premise of IndyRef2 is to rejoin the EU. Not sure that will look hugely attractive in the wash-up after coronavirus. Many of the weaker members will be knackered and will be looking for assistance. Who would want to resign from the UK to join that? (Apart from MalcG, of course. Well, maybe not actually, he seems to have a sensible attachment to his wonga).
    I still want independence in any event, financials initially mean nothing.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,804

A great example calling into LBC now. Business closed by government order. Can't get the business continuity loan as the business has zero revenue. Can't pay the staff. Can furlough the staff but can't pay the staff as can't get the business interruption loan and the furlough money doesn't yet exist...

The idea is that businesses dont have to pay VAT til next year and can use that as a loan to pay 20% wages. It is not a terrible plan but there will still be be some businesses who go bust due to short term cash flow problems. Each extra day for the clarification is costing jobs and damaging the economy.
  • Options

Sky reporting 7 Russian naval ships being shadowed by the RN in the channel and north sea

In a rowing boat no doubt
  • Options
    Endillion said:

SandraMc said:

Be kind everyone.

It's worth noting that religion got humanity through every natural disaster in the last several thousand years, up to some point in the last hundred or so. One of the big remaining questions for atheism/humanism/whatever to answer is what you tell someone who's just lost everything they had due to sheer bad luck. "It is the will of God" may not seem very adequate to our 21st century minds, but does come with a pretty good track record.
    When I lost my wife to cancer many years ago, I found few things as upsetting as those who tried to relativise or rationalise her death with religious platitudes. I was and remain an atheist, and I have no difficulty at all accepting that her death was simply due to natural causes / bad luck.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I believe there are several dinosaur fossils showing healed broken bones, too.

Was a very nice post and people now ruining things.
    Whats wrong with dinosaurs having shown kindness to each other!?
  • Options

"Government backed loans" - which are nothing of the sort. The government is guaranteeing the BANKS not the loans being offered by the banks which have to be guaranteed by the director.

Gap opening up between rhetoric and reality. Inevitable, I suppose, but if the gap is too big Johnson will lose the public. They will turn to Starmer.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Wonder if anyone has missed this? In order for the supermarkets to prioritise you for deliveries - they either do it by age or by data they are being given by the government. So you need to register here -

Do you have a link that says the supermarkets are using this? All the stuff I have read is they are using their current info about customers from things like Nectar card and previous delivery info.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    edited March 2020

[HYUFD mode=ON]
    Well, yes, but that would mean the Tory Government is wrong and that can't be true so therefore you must be wrong and I don't know how so you're a fanatical anti-Tory ideologue and something something something about growth and taxes so there.
    [HYUFD mode=OFF]
  • Options
    Another one to add to the list...

Rick Stein has refused to to pay his workers’ wages for over a month while his restaurants are closed.
  • Options
    felix said:

TOPPING said:

As an employer, we need clarification on how the rules work urgently. We can't really furlough people until we know if we qualify for the scheme. It is not a party political point.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,281
    edited March 2020

felix said:

Lots of people don't believe Johnson believes what he says or says what he believes.
    As a foaming at the month anti-Tory ideologue I am very happy Johnson is PM and not Corbyn (right again HYUFD). This isn't about the last election or what people think or even politics.

This is about survival.

The government clearly recognises there is a Massive Problem. It has proffered £330bn "and more if required" of guaranteed loans with no interest for 12 months. It has pledged to pay 80% of furloughed wages with literal unlimited amounts of cash available. It - Sunak - Gets It.

In practice however there is also a Massive Problem. The guaranteed loans with zero interest are not available to most and with daft rates of interest if they are. The wage payment doesn't yet exist. Companies can't even offer to furlough wages as it can't get the cash due to the government closing them down and the banks not playing ball.

Politics doesn't matter right now. We need an immediate solution to an immediate problem. The government on the phone to bank CEOs instructing them to throw government cash about to their customers. Today. If wages are to be paid then hand over the cash. If loans are to be made then hand over the cash. Otherwise its just hot air. And a significant part of our economy collapses. And people find themselves personally ruined. Which makes population management that much harder.

And thats saying nothing about the self employed or businesses who operate inside someone else's premises or people renting from fuck you landlords or people being forced to work regardless of them literally being a walking viral bomb.

Cash. Now. Or people die.

• Options

Whats wrong with dinosaurs having shown kindness to each other!?

Nothing at all. In fact it's hard to come up with a sweeter notion.

But @Richard_Tyndall was making a point about human civilization that I for one wish to embrace fully.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019
    malcolmg said:

Sky reporting 7 Russian naval ships being shadowed by the RN in the channel and north sea

In a rowing boat no doubt
    3 x T23 and 2 x OPV with various hangers on. Availability of the escort fleet has got better lately.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    kinabalu said:

We swapped from Dyson to Miele years ago. The Miele is fantastic - much better. Mind you that was before the power levels were dropped.

Miele make beautiful looking objects. Couple of years ago when we needed a new fridge we went out to look at some (forgot where) and I simply could not leave the Miele section. I walked round and round, gazing at them, peering from every angle, poking into every nook and cranny, just stroking them a lot of the time. Incredible design. Eventually bought a Kenwood.
    Miele don't make their own fridges. Liebherr do - virtually identical fridges at 60% of the price.
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,908
    felix said:

If you don't have a good answer to the question, try whataboutery.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

I heard (Newsnight) that there has been a methodology change in that a death is not now being included in the reported figures until the family gives permission. Impact unknown.

The total ultimately won't change, just their may be a lag in reporting, potentially depressing numbers for a while.
  • Options

Do you have a link that says the supermarkets are using this? All the stuff I have read is they are using their current info about customers from things like Nectar card and previous delivery info.
    An e mail from Sainsburys CEO at 1 am this morning said they were waiting for Govt to supply a further list of vulnerable people. Current list without Govt info 1.1 million with an extra 280000 added in past few days
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    To pick up Rochdale's point, I think there is a serious issue brewing with getting the cash out to businesses. The loan terms are onerous (at some banks, others are better) so it's hard to see how the billions are going to get out there in time. Not sure why the government has allowed the banks to set their own terms – that's not workable.

Re: furlough, great scheme in theory but the end of April is not soon enough. Sunak has the ideas but he needs to get on top of the execution.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,734
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

I think it more that the family needs to be informed. For obvious reasons there are no visitors.
  • Options

An e mail from Sainsburys CEO at 1 am this morning said they were waiting for Govt to supply a further list of vulnerable people. Current list without Govt info 1.1 million with an extra 280000 added in past few days
    They will be using it - family member was told by Sainsburys that they were expecting data from the government on people with medical conditions etc.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,916
    kamski said:

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Floater said:

So I turn Sky on - they telling me that Labour has labelled the government "a disgrace"

Then they play an interview from Ashworth saying that certain employers are a disgrace......

I'm begining to hate our media

Kay Burley is a disgrace. Full of her own importance and crass questions

I honestly struggle to understand why you ever watch Sky @Big_G_NorthWales; it cannot be good for your blood pressure.

Other news outlets are available - switch from Sky and do your health a favour! :wink:
    Just get the news from PB like the rest of us. It has a wide variety of intelligent, well-informed people, a constant link to the latest updates from Twitter frequently courtesy of ScottP, and comes with free awesome punning from me.

What more could anyone want?
    To be honest PB is a first class news medium

And I think you queried re a covid 19 vaccine. Dr Foxy confirmed one will be available sometime in the future but when is a different question
    Thanks. That is some comfort. However, time frames with vaccines are likely to be pretty long as I understand it.
    And success isn't guaranteed. People have been searching for a vaccine for the common cold for a lifetime.
    According to this article not much research has been done since the seventies:
    https://www.theguardian.com/news/2017/oct/06/why-cant-we-cure-the-common-cold

And successful vaccines were made against rhinoviruses, which cause most colds, but they only worked against one or a few similar types so they gave up when they realised there were over 160 different rhinoviruses.

I doubt a vaccine is going to be produced in much less than a year and a lockdown for that length of time is unsustainable.

The only way I can see this playing out is that we get a rough idea of the percentage of people that get the virus that require intensive care. This should become clearer once mass testing is taking place. In the meantime we scale up to be able to cope with that volume, already started with ordering additional respirators.

We then relax the restrictions on the least vulnerable to get the economy going whilst telling the vulnerable to keep distancing etc. whilst trying to cope with the serious cases.

I have no expertise whatsoever so apologies if this is rubbish/simplistic. I am prepared to be shot down in flames but am genuinely struggling to envisage how things are going to progress from here. I confess I had a bit of a Cyclefree moment myself last night when the situation seemed to me to be pretty hopeless.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736

Rick Stein has refused to to pay his workers’ wages for over a month while his restaurants are closed.

He doesn`t need to does he? Gov pay 80% of their salaries, right?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

I thought most of them weren't prioritising at all.
  • Options
    TGOHF666TGOHF666 Posts: 2,052
    A most useful graph would be occupation levels of ICU beds - once that starts to drop we can all get back to work.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Miele don't make their own fridges. Liebherr do - virtually identical fridges at 60% of the price.
    Feast your eyes on this -

https://www.johnlewis.com/fisher-paykel-rf610adx4-3-door-fridge-freezer-stainless-steel/p1363481?sku=233380739&s_ppc=2dx-KELKOO-EHT92700045366061120&tmad=c&tmcampid=2&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuHaj4e46AIVgrHtCh0JvwyBEAQYAiABEgJn9vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
  • Options

They will be using it - family member was told by Sainsburys that they were expecting data from the government on people with medical conditions etc.
    Great. I will get my parents to sign up, as although they are capable of looking after themselves, they definitely aren't allowed to go to the supermarket and so getting priority for deliveries will be useful.
  • Options
    Chris said:

They definitely are now. BJO is getting priority slots from Sainsburys.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1242896686122504192

Actually, despatch boxes have the handle and the hinges on the same side. This is based on the logic that if the clasp fails, gravity will hold the two sides together.

Look closely and you can clearly see the hinges either side of the handle.

So, for once, Johnson is doing it the right way round...
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

Well its a dick move not to top up the 20% and it is capped at £2500 a month.

Timpsons announced all their employees will get full pay, no ifs, not buts, for as long as this crisis lasts.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

They are manufactured by somebody else on their behalf? I did not know that. Paying for the name then, like a Trump hotel. Yes, apparently plenty of people are prepared to pay more for that privilege. Can you imagine?
  • Options

Chris said:

I got an email from Sainsbury's saying they are expecting information from the government soon.
  • Options

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Hah ha ha. Least coherent post of the day. There is a world crisis going on around you and you want to play politics.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

FF43 said:

Fascinating photos. The Johnson one is clearly staged: the strategically placed Union flags, the red dispatch box placed towards the camera and the wrong way for Johnson actually to open the thing. https://twitter.com/10DowningStreet/status/1242896686122504192

Actually, despatch boxes have the handle and the hinges on the same side. This is based on the logic that if the clasp fails, gravity will hold the two sides together.

Look closely and you can clearly see the hinges either side of the handle.

So, for once, Johnson is doing it the right way round...
    I hear one of the side effects of BDS is blindness. ;)
  • Options

Chris said:

One relative was already contacted - on the initial Sainsburys list by age. Already given a delivery slot this week...

As I understand it, Sainsburys is reserving all slots for those on their vulnerable list.
  • Options

felix said:

As a foaming at the month anti-Tory ideologue I am very happy Johnson is PM and not Corbyn (right again HYUFD). This isn't about the last election or what people think or even politics.

This is about survival.

The government clearly recognises there is a Massive Problem. It has proffered £330bn "and more if required" of guaranteed loans with no interest for 12 months. It has pledged to pay 80% of furloughed wages with literal unlimited amounts of cash available. It - Sunak - Gets It.

In practice however there is also a Massive Problem. The guaranteed loans with zero interest are not available to most and with daft rates of interest if they are. The wage payment doesn't yet exist. Companies can't even offer to furlough wages as it can't get the cash due to the government closing them down and the banks not playing ball.

Politics doesn't matter right now. We need an immediate solution to an immediate problem. The government on the phone to bank CEOs instructing them to throw government cash about to their customers. Today. If wages are to be paid then hand over the cash. If loans are to be made then hand over the cash. Otherwise its just hot air. And a significant part of our economy collapses. And people find themselves personally ruined. Which makes population management that much harder.

And thats saying nothing about the self employed or businesses who operate inside someone else's premises or people renting from fuck you landlords or people being forced to work regardless of them literally being a walking viral bomb.

Johnson or Corbyn. Hmm. Tough one. John McDonnell as Chancellor, not so much. As Mr Pioneers seems to be pointing out, so far Sunak is all promise and little performance.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    The DHSC admitted they weren't publishing the full 24 hours yesterday:

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1242950122981470208?s=20

463 patients who tested positive for coronavirus have sadly died. Please note these figures do not cover a full 24 hour period.

emphasis added
  • Options

Making lists ?
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441
    @bigjohnowls where did you see that the WHO were stating that there were promising signs in Europe? Haven't seen that quoted elsewhere.
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

TOPPING said:

Hah ha ha. Least coherent post of the day. There is a world crisis going on around you and you want to play politics.
    I'd argue that my post is incoherent. Inappropriate perhaps. We''ll see, at the end of the day.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

No. The media have spun it like that but its not the case at all. Companies can apply for an 80% grant up to £2500pm per employee with criteria yet to be established. (And no confirmed date when they will be established).

Employees dont have access to the scheme, so it only applies if employers choose to do it. They may prefer to choose redundancies or close the business, or just not bother with helping their employees out.

If it does what it says on the tin its a great policy, but the wider interpretation of the govt are paying 80% of salaries that the media and govt have allowed to spread isnt true for all.
  • Options
    TGOHF666 said:

Making lists ?
    Steinworld may fold?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

felix said:

This is about survival.

As a foaming at the mouth one nation Tory ideologue, I totally agree with you.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Stocky said:

Timpsons announced all their employees will get full pay, no ifs, not buts, for as long as this crisis lasts.
    Where do you think the 20% will come from if the business has no income yet still has fixed costs? Surely such payments would amount to being charity donations. Fair enough if that`s what Timpsons are doing but Stein shouldn`t be chastised for not doing similarly.

Restaurant staff are notoriously transient - he could pay them the 20% only to find that they bugger off to another restaurant when things re-open.
  • Options
    eristdoof said:

felix said:

If you don't have a good answer to the question, try whataboutery.
    I see you're still hurt. Never mind - 'whataboutanicecuppatea?' :smiley:
  • Options
    Government advert playing on LBC "move your business up a league" complete with football crowd cheering advertising help with exporting and leadership training.

Erm, anyone in the government's comms team considered that a review of booked adverts might be an idea?
  • Options
    SandraMcSandraMc Posts: 600

Chris said:

One relative was already contacted - on the initial Sainsburys list by age. Already given a delivery slot this week...

As I understand it, Sainsburys is reserving all slots for those on their vulnerable list.
    Initially they said there were priority slots for the over 70s and the vulnerable. They were then swamped with requests. Now they are saying you need to be vulnerable by the government's definition; ie those in the highest risk category. All three of us in my household have conditions which make us higher risk but wer are not in the highest risk category so don't qualify.
  • Options

Stocky said:

No. The media have spun it like that but its not the case at all. Companies can apply for an 80% grant up to £2500pm per employee with criteria yet to be established. (And no confirmed date when they will be established).

Employees dont have access to the scheme, so it only applies if employers choose to do it. They may prefer to choose redundancies or close the business, or just not bother with helping their employees out.

If it does what it says on the tin its a great policy, but the wider interpretation of the govt are paying 80% of salaries that the media and govt have allowed to spread isnt true for all.
    That`s interesting. So employees can be out of work due to this government lockdown policy and not be compensated to 80% just because the company doesn`t apply? That`s massively unfair if true because employees are not being treated consistently.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,734

TGOHF666 said:

Making lists ?
    Steinworld may fold?
    I am sure that lots of restaurants will.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Where do you think the 20% will come from if the business has no income yet still has fixed costs? Surely such payments would amount to being charity donations. Fair enough if that`s what Timpsons are doing but Stein shouldn`t be chastised for not doing similarly.

Restaurant staff are notoriously transient - he could pay them the 20% only to find that they bugger off to another restaurant when things re-open.
    Not just that,

Rick Stein has refused to to pay his workers’ wages for over a month while his restaurants are closed. Staff across the 14 sites they would not be paid until the end of April when the government is scheduled to pay wage subsidies to businesses that have shut down.

The least he could do is pay them up for that month.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136

Chris said:

Yes, I know Sainsburys are. But I said I thought "most of them" weren't. Are any of the others?
  • Options
    ABZ said:

@bigjohnowls where did you see that the WHO were stating that there were promising signs in Europe? Haven't seen that quoted elsewhere.

BBC news about an hour or more ago
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Boris Johnson is now hoping to get 750,000 people to sign up for the NHS volunteer responders scheme. Some 560,000 people have expressed an interest already, the prime minister’s spokesman said.

I really hope we can spin this into something more long term. Loads of people giving an hour or two of their time here and there to help others would be a fantastic positive thing to come out of this.
  • Options

ABZ said:

Spanish deaths on the drop I guess. <700 today.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

They are manufactured by somebody else on their behalf? I did not know that. Paying for the name then, like a Trump hotel. Yes, apparently plenty of people are prepared to pay more for that privilege. Can you imagine?
    Liebherr are the top boys when it comes to fridges and freezers. Commercial grade stuff. Bought ours from John Lewis ten years ago and it is flawless.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

TGOHF666 said:

Making lists ?
    Steinworld may fold?
    I am sure that lots of restaurants will.
    A lot of the restaurant trade is bullshit. My rule of thumb is this - is it cheaper to eat here? -

http://www.glasshouserestaurant.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/March-Lunch.pdf

It's part of the same group as Chez Bruce, the Michelin starred restaurant. I'd put their food up against any challengers...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,279
    RobD said:

Chris said:

I got an email from Sainsbury's saying they are expecting information from the government soon.
    I have investigated this a little this morning. Last week I was emailed by Sainsbury's to say they had identified me as vulnerable and I got a priority slot.

This week it seems to have changed. When I tried for a new slot I was told I was NOT one of those identified as vulnerable and they were now prioritising the extremely vulnerable.

The database of extremely vulnerable is being compiled by Gov.Uk and there is an online form you need to fill in. Extremely vulnerable (at least at moment) is classified as all those who have the letter this week telling them they have a condition that means isolate and stay away from anyone. No one else is currently included.

This may change of course, once supermarkets ramp up their slots.

I am not overly concerned at this stage, as I have my Brexit box.
  • Options
    ABZABZ Posts: 441

ABZ said:

Thanks. I don't think they would say that lightly. Hopefully Spain will soon properly follow Italy with a decline in new cases - should happen in the next few days if they follow the same pattern, but let's see.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,366

felix said:

This is about survival.

Johnson or Corbyn. Hmm. Tough one. John McDonnell as Chancellor, not so much. As Mr Pioneers seems to be pointing out, so far Sunak is all promise and little performance.
    You obviously have no idea how Govt works.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Stocky said:

That`s interesting. So employees can be out of work due to this government lockdown policy and not be compensated to 80% just because the company doesn`t apply? That`s massively unfair if true because employees are not being treated consistently.
    Yes, there is no access to the scheme for employees. And it doesnt make commercial sense for all business to apply to it, or for them to apply it for all their employees.

If you had two staff, one great, one youve been thinking about dismissing but dont want a protracted battle, it may be better to furlough the great one and make the other redundant, than furlough both. Redundant one gets stat redundancy and onto benefits, not 80% wage.

I dont think this reflects public understanding of the policy.

• Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Liebherr are the top boys when it comes to fridges and freezers. Commercial grade stuff. Bought ours from John Lewis ten years ago and it is flawless.
    Quite a lot of white goods is rebadged. John Lewis own brand stuff used to be Bosch - I think they've changed the supplier.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    ABZ said:

ABZ said:

Thanks. I don't think they would say that lightly. Hopefully Spain will soon properly follow Italy with a decline in new cases - should happen in the next few days if they follow the same pattern, but let's see.
    Peak expected this weekend in Spain
  • Options
    Timeline (in French) of what was known when about Covid-19 - being used in critique of French government response:

https://laviedesidees.fr/Savoir-et-prevoir.html
  • Options
    nichomar said:

So when will we get first reports of supermarket home delivery vans being hijacked?

Yes, I thought of that too. We`ve started padlocking the door to our outside barn which houses two freezers full of food. Crime wave coming I predict. If this proves correct and similarly happens in the States it will be like the Wild West out there, with their guns n` stuff.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Yes you are a fanatical anti Tory ideologue who wants the government to pay trillions of pounds in temporary grants to every business in the country that asks leading to huge tax hikes for every business and taxpayer once restrictions end and destroying any prospect of growth and guaranteeing recession if not depression once the crisis ends.

As opposed to the Government backed loans and payment of 80% of wages while restrictions remain in place

By that token, you are a fanatical pro Tory ideologue who is unable productively to engage with questions about government policy...

If this is true then the scheme is dead. Directors would be crazy to agree to such guarantees.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

ABZ said:

ABZ said:

We are going to be back at work in a month or less.
  • Options

Yes. I wonder if Sunak will prove to be that big rectangular beautifully wrapped present under the tree that turns out to be a board game.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,070
    nichomar said:

ABZ said:

ABZ said:

If that really is true then this things is moving through much faster than most predicted a few weeks ago.

@rcs1000 might deserve a knighthood if it's right...
  • Options

Stocky said:

Stocky said:

Yes, there is no access to the scheme for employees. And it doesnt make commercial sense for all business to apply to it, or for them to apply it for all their employees.

If you had two staff, one great, one youve been thinking about dismissing but dont want a protracted battle, it may be better to furlough the great one and make the other redundant, than furlough both. Redundant one gets stat redundancy and onto benefits, not 80% wage.

I dont think this reflects public understanding of the policy.

I agree, it doesn`t.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    OllyT said:

TGOHF666 said:

Nigelb said:

MikeL said:

If the last 24 hours are repeated then the US will go top of the table (for cases) above China and Italy in 24 hours from now.

Re Trump approval - I do get the sense that most people in the US currently have no idea of the scale of the virus. It is surely going to be a very big moment and a shock to most Americans when they hear the US is top of the table.

Obviously deaths trail cases, but USA is still at 3 deaths/1M, which is the same as South Korea, half the UK rate, and 1/40 of the Italian figure.

Daily deaths are around 0.75/1M. Italy has had more than 10 deaths/1M for the last six days, also 10+ in Spain since 3 days.

Countries closer to Spain/Italian levels than the US include the Netherlands (5/1M daily) and France (4/1M).

Some parts of the US are at similar levels, notably Louisana (4/1M/day), and I believe New York City (where the cases are concentrated, not the rural regions) is close to 10/1M/day, although clearly still short of Lombardy levels.

So at the moment the US is far from top of the table, and attention still focused on blue New York. Time will come, but the virus is a way behind Europe in the US.
    I don’t think it will be all that long until they are reporting more new cases than the rest of the world.
    The WHO will confirm the epicentre of the virus has moved from Europe to the USA. When much of the rest of the world is seeing the light, America will still be descending into isolation.

And then, perhaps, America will ask "How did this happen?"

And Trump will blame the WHO - perhaps with some merit.
    Criticism of the WHO pales into insignificance compared to Trump's actions and comments over the last month. Look at the tweets he was making a few weeks ago which were being widely circulated again yesterday. In any other country he would be politically dead by now. Sadly his supporters are mainly low-information (aka thick) and have no real idea of the severity of the problems they are facing. They will shortly.
    You are making a mistake to think of 'low-information' voters as "thick".

They are, perhaps, poorly-educated and incurious. But not thick.
  • Options

felix said:

This is about survival.

You obviously have no idea how Govt works.
    I recall, in my NHS days, at the end of the Major Government, being part of a group who were told to bring something in. We protested that we didn't have sufficient information to do it properly by the date, but were told that 'The Minister had decided it would happen".
    And yes we did what we were asked. After a fashion. It had to be considerably altered later.

So, yes, I think I do.
  • Options
    North Yorkshire Police has said it will use checkpoints to stop vehicles and ask drivers if their journey is essential during the lockdown.
This discussion has been closed.