Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The coronavirus crisis: A Misdiagnosis?

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,069
    Hmm. I do recall some of us suggesting Carney's panic cut after the referendum and refusal to increase rates might just diminish room for manoeuvre when the next problem came along.

Pound up a smidge to $1.17.

It was around $1.4-1.5 for a while, then settled at $1.3ish for a long time after the referendum.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,140

Prince Albert of Monaco has tested positive for Coronavirus.

Time to get HM inside her protective zorb isolation ball.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Brace yourself -Tulsi Gabbard has quit the Dem nomination race, endorsing Biden.

She's not endorsing Trump?
  • Options

Hmm. I do recall some of us suggesting Carney's panic cut after the referendum and refusal to increase rates might just diminish room for manoeuvre when the next problem came along.

Pound up a smidge to $1.17.

It was around $1.4-1.5 for a while, then settled at $1.3ish for a long time after the referendum.

Don't worry, there are a lot of negative numbers they can use. ;)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,327

tlg86 said:

twitter.com/britainelects/status/1240641843857182720

Who the bloody hell are the 15% ?
    Undertakers and supermarket executives.
    And lawyers - they always make a killing.
    Not true. Slumps are a net bad for commercial law firms. In 2008/9 I saw a net drop of 33% in my profit share. I'd expect this to have severe effects on law firms this time too.
    I was thinking there could be some big legal arguments after all this is over, but if there are no businesses left to argue about it, then perhaps not.
  • Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,943
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Venice no propellers churning up the silt in canals, makes fish visible.

I suppose Ed Davey will be enjoying Layla Moran's woke look at me stupidity. If the Lib Dems have any sense keep her away from leadership.

From her Twitter a/c

Farage and Trump engaging in racial hatred by ‘pointing out’ the virus ‘started in China’. You know what else ‘started in China’? The fleet that discovered America in 1492.

She thinks Columbus was Chinese?
    She is wrong. The Chinese sailor Zhou Man discovered the west coast of America in the 1420s. See Gavin Menzies, 1421 - The Year China discovered the World.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,603

sarissa said:

Every cloud...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-51944044

No Indyref this year. I wonder if the price of oil has anything to do with it.

No - N Sea revenues were holed below the waterline by Osborne's 2011 tax grab and subsequent tax allowances for taking facilities out of production for modernisation.
    holed certainly, but now the hole has got even bigger
    You don't think there are more obvious reasons why launching a referendum campaign this year is a non-starter?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118

Shall I ask them if they’d prefer me to take a suitcase full of cash to their door?

• Options
    Mr. Slade, discovered that book when my uncle died (he left a lot of books).

Looked really interesting, but checking online it seems like it's a bogus claim.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,015

sarissa said:

Every cloud...

No - N Sea revenues were holed below the waterline by Osborne's 2011 tax grab and subsequent tax allowances for taking facilities out of production for modernisation.
    holed certainly, but now the hole has got even bigger
    You don't think there are more obvious reasons why launching a referendum campaign this year is a non-starter?
    The SNP is in crisis ? Hamish McWeinstein ? Sturgeon knows she'll lose ?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Co-op to offer jobs to hospitality workers
    The Co-op is to create 5,000 store-based posts in a bid to provide temporary employment for hospitality workers who have lost their jobs amid the coronavirus crisis, the company announced.--
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    Death toll from coronavirus in England rises to 128 as another 29 patients die

The NHS has announced that a further 29 people who tested positive for coronavirus in England have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in England to 128. It says the patients were aged between 47 and 96 years old and had underlying health conditions.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,380

I think I might have to stop using that Sion Simon piece as the apotheosis of bad political predictions, this piece by Dan Hannan from last month has raised the bar.

Alarmism, doom-mongering, panic – and the coronavirus. We are nowhere near a 1919-style catastrophe.

https://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2020/02/daniel-hannan-alarmism-doom-mongering-panic-and-the-coronavirus-we-are-nowhere-near-a-1919-style-catastrophe.html

Has Dan Hannan ever been right about anything?

This is a classic to keep...
    https://reaction.life/britain-looks-like-brexit/
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,833

In these uncertain times, IDS being a cnut is a touchstone to which we can all hold.

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1240616268329299970?s=20

Yesterday's man.
    Gosh, of course it would. In fact, I'd quit my job overnight and bask in the money of £600 per month. Luxury.

What a prat he is.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,635
    Is that a lower increase in England compared to yesterday?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Andy_JS said:

Is that a lower increase in England compared to yesterday?

If that's for a whole day, then I think so.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,286
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

Shall I ask them if they’d prefer me to take a suitcase full of cash to their door?

Shouldn't you tell them that you know a Nigerian prince who will pay it for you?
  • Options
  • Options
    kicorsekicorse Posts: 431
    edited March 2020
    felix said:

From the same poll:

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1240639703931662337

Considering that this should be an event of national unity, these are rubbish polling numbers for both the government and the Prime Minister.

For comparison, Giuseppe Conte in Italy has a 71% approval rating at present:

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1240622447323463680

That reflects the fact that the UK is a more divided society. The bulk of it based on party divisions and maybe divisions on other issues. If I read the Italina poll correctly the big jump has come recently as the situation got much worse.
    I agree.

It cuts both ways of course. While there are people who will always say the government is doing badly on any issue, there are others who will support them even when they are clearly screwing things up.

I was mostly defending the government's approach among my friends and family until the phrase "herd immunity" came out. That was such obvious drivel that I completely lost faith in them and started using the Irish government (I've been close to the Irish border lately) as my source of official advice. Obviously the UK government's moved on from that now, but the slapstick way in which the school closure was announced betrays a lack of planning over the last month or two, and is contributing to the anxiety.

So if anything I think the polarisation is boosting the government's figures here.
  • Options
    Mr. Isam, hope you can get that sorted.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,886
    Sky: 17 of the 29 deaths were in London
  • Options
    17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,835

Death toll from coronavirus in England rises to 128 as another 29 patients die

The NHS has announced that a further 29 people who tested positive for coronavirus in England have died, bringing the total number of confirmed reported deaths in England to 128. It says the patients were aged between 47 and 96 years old and had underlying health conditions.

47 is a bit on the errrrh the young side. I know that the guy who was 45 who died the other day have MND, but still.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,603
    New York is the Wuhan of North America.

https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240652521418493952
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

Lock them down, lock them down, build a wall and make them pay for it....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,377

Every cloud...

Don't be stupid Alan, UK loses money on oil
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I see 14 deaths in Germany today, but still doing well
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    kinabalu said:

dr_spyn said:

Labour a long way behind -22% points.

It is a big Tory lead. But I can see it shrinking rapidly as the crisis deepens and the public get to see lots of Starmer. He will be striking just the right note of constructive yet challenging. And people are going to like his shrewd and measured demeanor at a time like this. He has a reassuring presence that the charismatic, edgy Johnson does not. Johnson makes you laugh or cry, often simultaneously. Starmer makes you feel safe.
    Parliament will be closed and we'll never hear from him until it's all over.
  • Options

New York is the Wuhan of North America.

twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1240652521418493952

It can't be long until it totally explodes in the US. It has clearly been there for ages and they aren't doing much testing.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,015
    malcolmg said:

Every cloud...

Don't be stupid Alan, UK loses money on oil
    Proportionately Scotland loses more
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

The London economy will be paying for the rest of the UK's coronovirus measures, most likely.
  • Options
    Perhaps what we need economically is not massive government spending, but better bankruptcy law?

If airlines, hotels, restaurants go bust, the physical facilities and personnel and skills still exist. Sure, shareholders and owners take a massive hit, but if not barred from owning another business, can restart pronto under new ownership.

The economic effects would be big, but in the USA, being a bankrupt seems to be a temporary state rather than a terminal event. Hasn't Trump himself sometimes been in section 11?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

Concerning since London has a younger population than most places in England.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

The London economy will be paying for the rest of the UK's coronovirus measures, most likely.
    Obviously. I was of course joking.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Perhaps what we need economically is not massive government spending, but better bankruptcy law?

If airlines, hotels, restaurants go bust, the physical facilities and personnel and skills still exist. Sure, shareholders and owners take a massive hit, but if not barred from owning another business, can restart pronto under new ownership.

The economic effects would be big, but in the USA, being a bankrupt seems to be a temporary state rather than a terminal event. Hasn't Trump himself sometimes been in section 11?

Most US airlines seem to spend half their time in Chapter 11.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

That's measures for the long-term. Britain in particular has a disproportionately large precariat, who need some form of action very quickly.
  • Options
    The Labour MP Kate Osamor has been ordered to apologise by the Commons standards committee after it found that she broke parliamentary rules by using Commons notepaper to write a character reference for her son before he was sentenced in court for a drugs offence. The committee said in a report (pdf) that there was nothing wrong with Osamor supplying the reference, but that the use of Commons stationery implied her letter carried the authority of the house. But it was a relatively minor breach of rules, the committee suggested.

The committee also said Osamor broke the code of conduct by threatening a journalist who came to her house, and by then at first refusing to respond to contact from the parliamentary commissioner for standards.

In its report the committee said:

Ms Osamor resigned from the opposition front bench as a result of these events, so she has paid a price for her behaviour in terms of her career.

We recommend that Ms Osamor should apologise to the house for her breaches of the code of conduct, by means of a letter to the committee which we will publish on our website. We add that if Ms Osamor were to commit any further similar breaches of the code, we would take a very serious view of the matter.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Foxy said:

The problem is a lot of things like airlines don't own the assets. They're leased.

There should be a utter-rethink of rent for commerical properties though. I can't understand the requests for some rentals which then lead to the proprty becoming empty, and generating no income at all.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Consequence of bankruptcy very often is not for the bankrupt but for the suppliers. Seem to recall a football club folding, being reborn and keeping it's League status, and place, but paying it's suppliers something ludicrous like 10p in the £.
    Meant they went to the wall as well, with consequent opprobrium on the directors etc. Opprobium not shared by the football club.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

I think it just a couple of weeks ahead of the midlands. The dead are not particularly young.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,314
    kinabalu said:

dr_spyn said:

Labour a long way behind -22% points.

It is a big Tory lead. But I can see it shrinking rapidly as the crisis deepens and the public get to see lots of Starmer. He will be striking just the right note of constructive yet challenging. And people are going to like his shrewd and measured demeanor at a time like this. He has a reassuring presence that the charismatic, edgy Johnson does not. Johnson makes you laugh or cry, often simultaneously. Starmer makes you feel safe.
    Comfortably numb rather than safe.....
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    28 in England today compared to 32 yesterday.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,346
    edited March 2020
    It would be interesting to see a rough estimate of what proportion of people are working normally.

Everyone's attention is understandably directed upon people we can see - ie people in consumer facing businesses - eg bars, restaurants, shops, hotels etc.

But what about things like construction? eg Is everyone working normally on HS2 building sites today?

Obviously there are many areas where everyone (unless off sick) is working normally - eg NHS, police, military etc. And presumably nobody in the public sector will be laid off - eg even when schools close, teachers will still be paid.

So what does anyone think an overall rough estimate would be?

Surely we need to know this when thinking how much the Treasury needs to do (of course also noting that the situation may get much worse).
  • Options

Foxy said:

That's measures for the long-term. Britain has a disproportionately large precariat, who need some form of action very quickly.
    If the businesses restart quickly, they get their old, or similar jobs back. In the meantime they need short term benefits.

The question is who should take the financial hit, the shareholder or the taxpayer? Recognising that I am both myself.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,639
    RobD said:

Yes - otherwise a risk of me winning 'deadpool'.

And nobody wants to see that.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,949
    Even I support Johnson at the moment, not because he's the PM we need- he isn't - but because he's the PM we've got. We must support him to get through this thing, while challenging him to raise his game.
  • Options
    You gotta laugh. Usual suspects on pb.com going into meltdown about the Govt. as the Tories poll 52%, You'd never guess from the tame brains on here that outside their bubble, the Govt. was seeing post-Falkland highs....
  • Options
    Pollution expert on BBC says levels in New York City are the lowest she's ever seen.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,920
    MikeL said:

It would be interesting to see a rough estimate of what proportion of people are working normally.

Everyone's attention is understandably directed upon people we can see - ie people in consumer facing businesses - eg bars, restaurants, shops, hotels etc.

But what about things like construction? eg Is everyone working normally on HS2 building sites today?

Obviously there are many areas where everyone (unless off sick) is working normally - eg NHS, police, military etc. And presumably nobody in the public sector will be laid off - eg even when schools close, teachers will still be paid.

So what does anyone think an overall rough estimate would be?

Surely we need to know this when thinking how much the Treasury needs to do (of course also noting that the situation may get much worse).

anecdote but my board game group of 10 that meets once a week now has gone from 10 employed to 4 in the last 2 weeks
  • Options
    Mr. Mark, I think a poll now is worthless.

Corbyn's going but not yet gone, and the pandemic's underway but nowhere near resolved.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

That's measures for the long-term. Britain has a disproportionately large precariat, who need some form of action very quickly.
    If the businesses restart quickly, they get their old, or similar jobs back. In the meantime they need short term benefits.

The question is who should take the financial hit, the shareholder or the taxpayer? Recognising that I am both myself.
    The problem is, we have no timescale. If the shutdown continues, many of those businesses may go bust and comparable ones may not replace them. This is why Trump and the Danes, for instance, are already moving to income replacement measures. The risks are very great.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,886
    F1 News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51964882

"Formula 1 bosses have agreed to delay the planned 2021 rules until 2022 and to work to squeeze as many races into this season as possible."
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,920

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

The problem is, we have no timescale. If the shutdown continues, many of those businesses may go bust and comparable ones may not replace them. This is why Trump and the Danes, for instance, are already moving to income replacement measures. The risks are very great.
    In addition will businesses use the opportunity to get rid of costly staff and replace with cheaper or younger staff....just because a business rehires doesnt mean they will take on the same people
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

RobD said:

Yes - otherwise a risk of me winning 'deadpool'.

And nobody wants to see that.
    Well, apart from all those the rest of us have picked!
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,038
    Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

I suspect that a much larger % of London's population is infected than the rest of the country because Londoner's live, travel and work much closer together. So you should expect a larger proportion of cases and deaths.

Based on what I hear locally of sicknesses and self isolation as many as 10% - 20% could already have the infection compared with reported cases of 0.01% in London [936 out of a population of 9,000,000].

This makes an enormous difference to the fatality rate. Instead of 4% it could be 0.4% or even 0.04% - similar to seasonal flu. It could also explain the reduction of cases and deaths in China. They almost all already have it.

If this is the case, the cost of not having an adequate contingency plan for mass testing will be measured in trillions in terms of loss economic output around the world. This could all be a massive over reaction. On this basis I have started buying equities.
  • Options
    Mr. CatMan, cheers for that post.

Makes the long term tip on Hamilton beating Schumacher's total win record even likelier to come off.

I imagine the bets I made on this season will all be voided, but we'll see. I had a couple that look like they'd be green, but the situation is unusual, it's fair to say.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

I suspect that a much larger % of London's population is infected than the rest of the country because Londoner's live, travel and work much closer together. So you should expect a larger proportion of cases and deaths.

Based on what I hear locally of sicknesses and self isolation as many as 10% - 20% could already have the infection compared with reported cases of 0.01% in London [936 out of a population of 9,000,000].

This makes an enormous difference to the fatality rate. Instead of 4% it could be 0.4% or even 0.04% - similar to seasonal flu. It could also explain the reduction of cases and deaths in China. They almost all already have it.

If this is the case, the cost of not having an adequate contingency plan for mass testing will be measured in trillions in terms of loss economic output around the world. This could all be a massive over reaction. On this basis I have started buying equities.
    If 10-20% of Londoners have it already this is going to be over quite quickly, and quite painfully!
  • Options
    Number of UK deaths holds steady at 33 compared to yesterday. Is this a sign things might be about to improve?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Number of UK deaths holds steady at 33 compared to yesterday. Is this a sign things might be about to improve?

I think London is a couple of weeks off peak.
    Shutdowns take a while to work.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Pollution expert on BBC says levels in New York City are the lowest she's ever seen.

https://twitter.com/nabilnarch/status/1238395878685237249?s=21
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

You're really the 'glass half full' type, aren't you? I honestly admire (and envy) that.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

We all bowed down and didn’t notice the Burning Sky
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,994
    Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

It's March. It's not unusual for lots of people to have a sniffle at this time of year, but now they don't know whether it's a deadly new Coronavirus, a normal one, or a rhinovirus, or even hayfever.
    So your 10-20% figure could be mainly people carrying relatively harmless viruses. We just don't know.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Fairly obviously we care more about our own lives and our families, than of risks to people we never meet.
    COVID19 may kill me, but climate change may kill a Mozambique farmer.
  • Options
    isam said:

Andy_JS said:

One is slow and gradual, the other is sudden.

We're also fatigued by the constant predictions of the end of the world from the likes of the extinction rebellion. Coronavirus is actually delivering. ;)
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

If 10-20% of Londoners have it already this is going to be over quite quickly, and quite painfully!
    Quickly but not necessarily painfully if the fatality and severity statistics are grossly wrong because the denominator is way out.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I don't think you can take the numbers from a single day like that. Best to look at it in a longer term, perhaps on a week timescale.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

Quickly but not necessarily painfully if the fatality and severity statistics are grossly wrong because the denominator is way out.
    Good point. I hope you are correct. But a factor of a thousand out would be quite something. The boffins are thinking 10-20x.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

F1 News: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/51964882

"Formula 1 bosses have agreed to delay the planned 2021 rules until 2022 and to work to squeeze as many races into this season as possible."

Wow. What utter cretins.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

It's March. It's not unusual for lots of people to have a sniffle at this time of year, but now they don't know whether it's a deadly new Coronavirus, a normal one, or a rhinovirus, or even hayfever.
    So your 10-20% figure could be mainly people carrying relatively harmless viruses. We just don't know.
    You're right. We just don't know, and that's the point. We don't know the denominator because we are not testing the general population.
  • Options
    Maybe just me, but I feel that the orange slimeblob looks ever more old, slow, tired and spent each time they roll him out there with his "tremendous success" bullshit.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Fairly obviously we care more about our own lives and our families, than of risks to people we never meet.
    Pollution is more likely to kill you than Covid-19 I’d say, &the people dying from Covid-19 may well only be suffering from underlying problems because of pollution
  • Options
    My wife's school is fully staffed next week. They don't know who they will be teaching yet but they will most definitely be open...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Foxy said:

Andy_JS said:

I think London is a couple of weeks off peak.
    Shutdowns take a while to work.
    They haven’t really shut down yet though have they?
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 13,017
    Andy_JS said:

It's fascinating - the collapse in NO2 emissions over China, the improvements in the Venice lagoon. I even think London's air quality might improve with time.

All little straws in the wind that perhaps, just perhaps, some might ask whether the headlong rush to economic growth is really worth the price to our environment and the air we breathe.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PA/status/1240667692379578368

Wedding planners about to take a hit.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

You're right. We just don't know, and that's the point. We don't know the denominator because we are not testing the general population.
    World-o-meter is showing 33 new deaths and only 66 new detected cases. That looks remarkable.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

My wife's school is fully staffed next week. They don't know who they will be teaching yet but they will most definitely be open...

Good luck to them, I hope they remain safe and well.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

It's fascinating - the collapse in NO2 emissions over China, the improvements in the Venice lagoon. I even think London's air quality might improve with time.

All little straws in the wind that perhaps, just perhaps, some might ask whether the headlong rush to economic growth is really worth the price to our environment and the air we breathe.
    I definitely think we will see a massive increase in working from home, which can only be a good thing when it comes to pollution from vehicles in big cities.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Lets hope so.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 703

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

I definitely think we will see a massive increase in working from home, which can only be a good thing when it comes to pollution from vehicles in big cities.
    Bad for anyone with a mortgage in a big city.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Unquestionably a lot of people are going to be learning home-working skills that they never knew they had, or had before - getting used to the software, getting over the initial collective awkwardness and unfamiliarity that many people initially feel in the group meetings, and most importantly getting over the idea that it's always second best, or less socially prestigious.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,455
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

Of my employees in London, out of nine, one has been diagnosed with it (as his wife), and another is exhibiting the symptoms and is self isolating at home. (But may well never get tested.)

It might very well be that 10-20% of Londoners do have this. In which case, morbidity rates are going to be less than expected. It will be extremely unpleasant, but at least it will be over with soon.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,980
    dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/PA/status/1240667692379578368

Wedding planners about to take a hit.

Nice to know that I was ahead of the game on this.
  • Options
    My big business idea, if I had the money, would be to buy up British Legions and Working Mans clubs, give them a makeover and remarket as private members clubs. If this goes on for long, People may have gone off the idea of mixing with strangers in large, loud boozers
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

Of my employees in London, out of nine, one has been diagnosed with it (as his wife), and another is exhibiting the symptoms and is self isolating at home. (But may well never get tested.)

It might very well be that 10-20% of Londoners do have this. In which case, morbidity rates are going to be less than expected. It will be extremely unpleasant, but at least it will be over with soon.
    Hope it's over soon because I am already getting cabin fever. ;)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,583

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

If nothing else businesses need to be ready for future outbreaks over the next couple of years until there is a vaccine. Once you have bought the kit, paid for the systems, and scaled it up to work with a large fraction of your employees at home, are you going to chuck it away and revert to the way you operated before? No, for at lot of businesses this will be a step change.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

I think to a very large extent, those remotely showing symptoms within the band of possibles are now staying isolated. Anecdotally, are people still coming across folks out there in public who are coughing?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,741
    RobD said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

One is slow and gradual, the other is sudden.

We're also fatigued by the constant predictions of the end of the world from the likes of the extinction rebellion. Coronavirus is actually delivering. ;)
    "fatigued by the constant predictions of the end of the world"
    Oh dear diddums.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Andy_JS said:

Also COVID19 will be over in months, if it was going to be permanent we'd be looking at mitigation rather than shut downs.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,980

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Unquestionably a lot of people are going to be learning home-working skills that they never knew they had, or had before - getting used to the software, getting over the initial collective awkwardness and unfamiliarity that many people initially feel in the group meetings, and most importantly getting over the idea that it's always second best, or less socially prestigious.
    If it wasn't for the virus I wouldn't be getting home until after 9 this evening. Instead I'm in a Teams meeting and, er, multitasking.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

It's great till the bills roll in and we discover the cost for millions of ordinary folk.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,771
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

Hope it's over soon because I am already getting cabin fever. ;)
    Likewise. Went for a long walk this afternoon in the country. Just couldn’t stay in the house any longer.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

dr_spyn said:

17/29 deaths in London.

12 in rest of England.

I think to a very large extent, those remotely showing symptoms within the band of possibles are now staying isolated. Anecdotally, are people still coming across folks out there in public who are coughing?
    When I was in the supermarket earlier this week I noticed a few coughs. Probably no more than you'd normally hear but now every time someone coughs you pick it up immediately rather than ignoring it.
  • Options
    Mr. Stodge, we're also about to take a massive economic hit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,081
    edited March 2020
    The political editor of LBC has Covid-19 as well.

https://twitter.com/theousherwood/status/1240600919085068290
  • Options

https://twitter.com/sammacrory/status/1240669882477395969

It's everywhere in Westminster, and perhaps London.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/sammacrory/status/1240669882477395969

Seems like everybody in the political bubble has it.
  • Options

stodge said:

Andy_JS said:

Son's children, ages 14, 12 and 6 (yes, I know), have been sent home as school is closed, but he and his wife are expected to ensure that they log onto their ;laptops, Idas or whatever punctually each morning and do the school work the school have sent her. Different classes every so often, just like school. It's not too bad with the elder two but of course the youngest needs watching and, often, help from Mum or Dad. And Mum's around, but has a house to run, and dad's working from home. It's not as easy as it sounds.
This discussion has been closed.