Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Buttigieg quitting the WH2020 race triggers Biden bounce in th

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,579
    edited March 2020
    On the upside, if we all get locked down, new season of Westworld out in a couple of weeks* ;-) and of course Baby Yoda comes to Uk this month.

* it surely can't be as bad as Season 2.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

We need to block anyone entering the country who have been to Italy or Iran.
    Iran’s the total sh!t-show here, even more so than China. They have no way to contain the virus, and millions of people have been through there in the last couple of months.
    I think the Hajj will be postponed which hasn’t happened in over a Millennium, something Muslims won’t take as a sign or the Saudis ban Iranians from the Hajj which will do wonders for Saudi/Iranian relations.

I think we might see Iranians banned from the Umrah, which again will be great for Saudi/Iranian relations.
    Middle East travel is about to be severely curtailed everywhere.

Emirates Airline is offering staff voluntary unpaid leave.
    https://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/emirates-group-offers-staff-voluntary-leave-as-coronavirus-outbreak-dents-air-travel-demand-1.986533
    So they can take a foreign holiday?
    No, they’re “expecting” all the staff to take two days a month off, unpaid, so the airline can save 10% from the payroll and prevent redundancies. Demand has unsurprisingly fallen off a cliff for air travel in the Middle East.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,064
    edited March 2020

The fivethirtyeight.com forecasts for the California primary (a massive 415 delegates up for grabs) are quite interesting:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-primary-forecast/california/

As I've mentioned before, the web page design is quite spectacularly bad, a textbook example of what goes wrong when you let some geek get over-excited about interactive web pages. You have to hover the mouse over random and counter-intuitive bits of the page to actually find the data it's meant to be presenting, so for convenience I've summarised it here (central forecast percentage vote share and number of delegates):

Sanders 36%, 186 delegates
    Biden 25%, 125 delegates
    Warren 17%, 61 delegates
    Bloomberg 15%, 42 delegates
    Klobuchar 5%, 1 delegate

If those forecasts are anything like right, Biden is doing better than I would have expected under the rules of the contest. I'm surprised he'd get that number of delegates, a respectable second behind Bernie .

Lord only knows why Klobuchar thinks it's worth persevering, and it looks like the end of the road for Bloomberg given how much advertising he's done here. Elizabeth Warren might well be able to keep going in the hope that something turns up.

RealClear polling Av for California is as follows.

Sanders 34.7
    Biden 18.0
    Warren 15.3
    Bloomberg 13.0
    Buttigieg 7.7
    Klobuchar 4.7
    Steyer 2.7
    Gabbard 1.7

Bloomberg's numbers look err Steyeresque in the state but I think his early voting nos could well make him viable. Biden has the opposite problem though there is some evidence moderates have held back their votes this time round to see who was most viable to stop Sanders of the 3 Bs.

Buttigieg supporters are remarkably evenly split between the candidates though I'd expect Biden and Sanders to grab more with their frontrunner status. Steyer supporters are probably more Biden friendly.

So maybe
    Sanders 37
    Biden 20
    Warren 16
    Bloomberg 15
    Buttigieg 8
    Klobuchar 3
    Gabbard 1

is a realistic outcome for the bear flag republic ?

If you are Sanders then you want as few opponents hitting 15% as possible, if you're Biden then the opposite.
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

4% in hospital says Scots health person.

Say we get lucky and 50% of people catch it (rather than the 70 or 80 that seems possible).

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

If that is over 12 months, then ≈ 25K a week needing hospital.

50% of the UK catching does not seem 'lucky', given only 0.11% (yep, 1 in a 900) of the population of Hubei are confirmed as having caught it.
    But those predictions are made by the global experts, who study this shit for a living

I'd like to think, like you, that they are lying, or mad, or locked in groupthink, but where is your evidence for this?

https://twitter.com/Matt_VanDyke/status/1233512662731915264?s=20
    Not to go all parochial on you, but I'd be much more interested in what percentage of the European population the global experts think will be infected.
    Why? Are Europeans so genetically different?? Italy says not. In fact Italy has a higher death rate than Korea, Japan, etc
    No, I mean given that Europe isn't the epicentre of the outbreak and is full of fancy public healthcare systems and advanced bureaucracies. That out to be worth something in reducing the percentage infected.
    Yes, that's true (tho I wonder whether Italy has an advance bureaucracy compared to East Asian nations).

Sadly, there are countervailing factors: we have more elderly, more obesity (esp in the UK), we are less able or willing to impose draconian quarantines, welding people into their homes and so on.

Maybe it's a wash. We'll get it about the same as Asia.
    The positive spin: While no one really trusts China’s numbers, Singapore seems to have stabilised at 2-3 new cases per day. It’s been here long enough that one suspects there aren’t super high amounts of undetected walking about at the moment or you’d be seeing the sharp end of the cases in the clinics.

Entirely unscientifically, adjust such numbers to the UK’s population size. And that would imply a steady state number of new positive cases of 30 odd per day in the UK, once the initial scary phase is over. 200 odd per week, of which perhaps 20-50 need hospital and a small handful succumb.

The gloomy spin: third countries are causing new undetected hotspots in places that did have it under control. It’s now out “there” everywhere and contact tracing will seem like a quaint practice in a matter of weeks.

I flip between these two moods as often as bipolar transsexual alcoholic thriller writers change their identity.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,803
    eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

Say we get lucky and 50% of people catch it (rather than the 70 or 80 that seems possible).

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

50% of the UK catching does not seem 'lucky', given only 0.11% (yep, 1 in a 900) of the population of Hubei are confirmed as having caught it.
    Well Wuhan would be a better population to use rather than Hubei, and implicit in your 0.11% is that everyone has been tested which of course is nonsense.

But I do agree with you that people predicting 50% in the UK at the end of 2021 even or the whole world sometime in May are way way off the mark. The spread of infections just does not work like that.
    But those predictions are made by the global experts, who study this shit for a living

I'd like to think, like you, that they are lying, or mad, or locked in groupthink, but where is your evidence for this?

Not to go all parochial on you, but I'd be much more interested in what percentage of the European population the global experts think will be infected.
    Why? Are Europeans so genetically different?? Italy says not. In fact Italy has a higher death rate than Korea, Japan, etc
    Indeed. One would reasonably expect very different percentages across different continents.

As it stands I would expect the UK to have one of the lowest rates in the world, while Africa could have a horrendous rate. Similar to HIV/AIDS which is under control [relatively] in this country but stil a pandemic in Africa.
    You thinryone else.
    Better handwashing
    Better hygiene
    Better tracking and tracing
    Better self-isolation
    Better awareness
    Better communication
    Better home life
    Better nourished

Than most of the world.
    I hope you are right, and I hope that in about a month you can all turn on me and throw the rotten turnips of mockery.

I may be forced to adopt a new PB identity, something I had hitherto never considered.

Avoid door knobs, stop shaking hands and use a pen to catch a lift: The physical steps you can take to stop yourself from catching coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8064897/How-protect-catching-killer-coronavirus.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,385

Mr. Eagles, CE is the work of Satan.

I prefer WOWLAAGOOH.

When One Woman’s Lie About Adultery Got Out Of Hand.
    She wasn't married, so it couldn't be adultery.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020
    Blimey. Greece and Turkey usually so friendly too. For shame.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The fivethirtyeight.com forecasts for the California primary (a massive 415 delegates up for grabs) are quite interesting:

As I've mentioned before, the web page design is quite spectacularly bad, a textbook example of what goes wrong when you let some geek get over-excited about interactive web pages. You have to hover the mouse over random and counter-intuitive bits of the page to actually find the data it's meant to be presenting, so for convenience I've summarised it here (central forecast percentage vote share and number of delegates):

Biden 25%, 125 delegates
    Warren 17%, 61 delegates
    Klobuchar 5%, 1 delegate

If those forecasts are anything like right, Biden is doing better than I would have expected under the rules of the contest. I'm surprised he'd get that number of delegates, a respectable second behind Bernie .

Lord only knows why Klobuchar thinks it's worth persevering, and it looks like the end of the road for Bloomberg given how much advertising he's done here. Elizabeth Warren might well be able to keep going in the hope that something turns up.

Sanders 34.7
    Biden 18.0
    Warren 15.3
    Bloomberg 13.0
    Buttigieg 7.7
    Klobuchar 4.7
    Steyer 2.7
    Gabbard 1.7

Bloomberg's numbers look err Steyeresque in the state but I think his early voting nos could well make him viable. Biden has the opposite problem though there is some evidence moderates have held back their votes this time round to see who was most viable to stop Sanders of the 3 Bs.

Buttigieg supporters are remarkably evenly split between the candidates though I'd expect Biden and Sanders to grab more with their frontrunner status. Steyer supporters are probably more Biden friendly.

So maybe
    Sanders 37
    Biden 20
    Warren 16
    Bloomberg 15
    Buttigieg 8
    Klobuchar 3
    Gabbard 1

If you are Sanders then you want as few opponents hitting 15% as possible, if you're Biden then the opposite.
    I realise I've stuck Buttigieg back in there whilst making it sum to 100%.

Number of viable candidates is nevertheless the key.
  • Options
    eadric said:

The economy basically shutting down in Iran.

https://twitter.com/MostafaMe4/status/1234497273733750786?s=20

https://twitter.com/bai_mina/status/1234264245870702596?s=20

On the upside, not many Iranians will now be flying out, the poor bastards.

Let's hope we don't end up with those kinds of scenes here.
  • Options
    eadric said:

moonshine said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

No, I meing the percentage infected.
    Yes, the same as Asia.
    The positive spin: While no one really trusts China’s numbers, Singapore seems to have stabilised at 2-3 new cases per day. It’s been here long enough that one suspects there aren’t super high amounts of undetected walking about at the moment or you’d be seeing the sharp end of the cases in the clinics.

I flip between these two moods as often as bipolar transsexual alcoholic thriller writers change their identity.
    Singapore is definitely a cause for modest optimism, in context.

Has every case in S'pore been traced to its origin? Is there any evidence of community transmission with no foreign travel?
    "Lorraine Kelly has revealed that her daughter Rosie, 24, has 'self-isolated' after falling ill in Singapore amid fears about the spread of coronavirus.

The ITV host explained on her daytime show that despite her daughter just having a 'bit of a cold', her husband Steve Smith is jetting to Asia to be with her.

Speaking on Monday's episode, the 60-year-old presenter revealed that her husband had told her that Heathrow airport is 'dead' as travel to certain countries has been discouraged amid the spread of the disease."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8064673/Lorraine-Kelly-reveals-daughter-Rosie-self-isolated-Singapore-amid-coronavirus-fears.html
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Biden 25%, 125 delegates
    Warren 17%, 61 delegates
    Klobuchar 5%, 1 delegate

Sanders 34.7
    Biden 18.0
    Warren 15.3
    Bloomberg 13.0
    Buttigieg 7.7
    Klobuchar 4.7
    Steyer 2.7
    Gabbard 1.7

So maybe
    Sanders 37
    Biden 20
    Warren 16
    Bloomberg 15
    Buttigieg 8
    Klobuchar 3
    Gabbard 1

" Elizabeth Warren might well be able to keep going in the hope that something turns up."

Something has turned up sadly.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Mr. Eagles, CE is the work of Satan.

I prefer WOWLAAGOOH.

When One Woman’s Lie About Adultery Got Out Of Hand.
    She wasn't married, so it couldn't be adultery.
    She was betrothed to him which in that era was the same thing.

I mean an unwed mother was frowned upon in those days.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 32,063

eadric said:

This is my prediction:

Large scale passive panic* - Yes
    Widespread disruption - Yes
    Massive hit to the global economy - Yes
    Stock market crash - Yes
    Health care services swamped - Yes
    >1% overall death rate - No

(By passive panic, I mean people declining to go on holiday, attend events, commute, make non-essential purchases; rather than riots in the streets)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Endillion said:

Greetings from Coronavirus Overreaction Central (aka London).

Various offices have apparently now shut down completely due to actual or potential outbreaks. Several firms are cancelling all external meetings, and/or converting to teleconferences where possible. We are going ahead, but asking participants to confirm they haven't travelled to an at-risk area.

Some firms still taking no precautions at all. There are some weird social dances going on where meetings take place at one of these, and we have to figure out if we can go or not.

In related news, the bit of the London insurance market that covers Contingency risks is starting to get really worried about the Olympics.

In unrelated news, I'm really disappointed that Scott_P hasn't come back as Scott_NP. There's a million dollars on the table if we figure this out:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P_versus_NP_problem

I have discovered a truly marvellous proof of this, which this comment is too small to contain.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,994
    Pulpstar said:

Biden 25%, 125 delegates
    Warren 17%, 61 delegates
    Klobuchar 5%, 1 delegate

Sanders 34.7
    Biden 18.0
    Warren 15.3
    Bloomberg 13.0
    Buttigieg 7.7
    Klobuchar 4.7
    Steyer 2.7
    Gabbard 1.7

So maybe
    Sanders 37
    Biden 20
    Warren 16
    Bloomberg 15
    Buttigieg 8
    Klobuchar 3
    Gabbard 1

I saw it suggested recently that undecideds or leaners tend not to early vote precisely because they want to choose later. No idea if there is evidence for it, but if so would suggest the impact of early voting to late swings might not be that big.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    Anorak said:

Endillion said:

Various offices have apparently now shut down completely due to actual or potential outbreaks. Several firms are cancelling all external meetings, and/or converting to teleconferences where possible. We are going ahead, but asking participants to confirm they haven't travelled to an at-risk area.

Some firms still taking no precautions at all. There are some weird social dances going on where meetings take place at one of these, and we have to figure out if we can go or not.

In related news, the bit of the London insurance market that covers Contingency risks is starting to get really worried about the Olympics.

In unrelated news, I'm really disappointed that Scott_P hasn't come back as Scott_NP. There's a million dollars on the table if we figure this out:

I have discovered a truly marvellous proof of this, which this comment is too small to contain.
    That gives us 350 years to sort it out then ;)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,694

Just so you can pelt me with rotten tomatoes, or hail me as the new Calpurnia as the case may be, here are the figures for coronavirus cases outside of China that are predicted for the next eight days by each of my three models. The reference is to figures reported at the Worldometers website, where they appear around 3am GMT each day for the day before. The next one will be published in about 12 hours from now, so you can check whether it is anywhere near 10035, 10108, or 10957. (The current figure is 8564.)

1) Model G
    Mon 2 March 10035
    Tue 3 March 12220,
    Wed 4 March 14867
    Thu 5 March 18074
    Fri 6 March 21955
    Sat 7 March 26647
    Sun 8 March 32315
    Mon 9 March 39157

2) Model L
    Mon 2 March 10108.
    Tue 3 March 12367
    Wed 4 March 15131
    Thu 5 March 18513
    Fri 6 March 22650
    Sat 7 March 27712
    Sun 8 March 33906
    Mon 9 March 41484

3) Model S
    Mon 2 Mar 10957
    Tue 3 Mar 14236
    Wed 4 Mar 18697
    Thu 5 Mar 24820
    Fri 6 Mar 33305
    Sat 7 Mar 45174
    Sun 8 Mar 61936
    Mon 9 Mar 85835

As I said below, it doesn't really matter.

Tell us how many there will be on 1 May?
  • Options
    moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,248
    eadric said:

moonshine said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

Yes, the same as Asia.
    The gloomy spin: third countries are causing new undetected hotspots in places that did have it under control. It’s now out “there” everywhere and contact tracing will seem like a quaint practice in a matter of weeks.

Has every case in S'pore been traced to its origin? Is there any evidence of community transmission with no foreign travel?
    I have stopped reading the bulletins so religiously because there’s now too many for me to keep track of (just under 100 cases). But last I heard they had identified the source of pretty much all cases. Yes some of these have been caught locally from people who caught locally.

They contact trace using your cellphone gps and cctv. I gather one chap is facing criminal prosecution for telling porkies about his movements pre hospital admission. I presume this was to protect the modesty of a young lady.

I am still in the dark about just what was wrong with me the last two weeks. Was so breathless I couldn’t talk at times. Dry cough. So fatigued I could barely make it up and down the stairs for about 10 days. And yet I never once had a fever so was never tested. I am told variously that covid-19 can be largely asymptomatic, but I am also told it always causes a fever. So which is true?

Perhaps someone could find it on google but I don’t know how many negative tests Singapore is throwing out a day. That’s where the UK approach is giving some cause for optimism, they’re testing far and wide and not finding that much so far.
  • Options
    Pete Buttigieg's vote should give us an indication of how much early voting forms part of California's primary. Not inconceivable he could beat Klobuchar !
    One thing about California if candidates are close to 15% we might not know for ages precisely the delegate count. The headlines (Sanders wins Cali) will be there but the precise delegates, not so much.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,144

eadric said:

On the contrary, that is the way to stop spread.

Social isolation is an entirely rational and appropriate response to the viral threat.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eadric said:

Social isolation is an entirely rational and appropriate response to the viral threat.
    Would you go for a Thai massage in the current climate?
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Anorak said:

Endillion said:

Are you suggesting that I, like Fermat, am telling porkies?

I am outraged.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,919

eadric said:

This is my prediction:

Stock market crash - Yes

(By passive panic, I mean people declining to go on holiday, attend events, commute, make non-essential purchases; rather than riots in the streets)
    If we go about 20,000 concurrent cases the mortality rate will be towards the Wuhan 5% rather than the 'well treated, adequate care and facilities' sub 1%.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 45,144
    isam said:

Foxy said:

eadric said:

Would you go for a Thai massage in the current climate?
    Not my cup of tea, but no different to any other time.

I ate in a Korean restaurant on Saturday.
  • Options

eadric said:

This is my prediction:

Stock market crash - Yes

Massive increase in birth-rate in 9 months - Yes...
  • Options
    From the Guardian.

Cabinet Office to investigate allegations about Priti Patel bullying officials, Gove tells MPs

Jeremy Corbyn asks his urgent question. He ask the PM to make a statement on the allegations against Priti Patel, and whether he will order and investigation.

Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, is responding.

He says allegations have been made that Patel breached the ministerial code. The home secretary “absolutely rejects” these allegations.

He says he has the highest regard for her. She is a superb minister, he says.

But he says the PM has asked the Cabinet Office to carry out an investigation to establish the facts. He says Alex Allen, the PM’s independent adviser on ministerial standards, is available to help.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,951
    eadric said:

moonshine said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

Yes, the same as Asia.

Entirely unscientifically, adjust such numbers to the UK’s population size. And that would imply a steady state number of new positive cases of 30 odd per day in the UK, once the initial scary phase is over. 200 odd per week, of which perhaps 20-50 need hospital and a small handful succumb.

Good graphic on how Singapore has tackled the virus - still 10 outstanding untraced cases:

https://www.straitstimes.com/multimedia/graphics/2020/02/spore-virus-cases/index.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,190
    Flash on my phone; Gove is saying the Cabinet office will investigate allegations of Priti Patel bullying.

Dom's on the case!
  • Options

From the Guardian.

Cabinet Office to investigate allegations about Priti Patel bullying officials, Gove tells MPs

Jeremy Corbyn asks his urgent question. He ask the PM to make a statement on the allegations against Priti Patel, and whether he will order and investigation.

Michael Gove, the Cabinet Office minister, is responding.

He says allegations have been made that Patel breached the ministerial code. The home secretary “absolutely rejects” these allegations.

He says he has the highest regard for her. She is a superb minister, he says.

But he says the PM has asked the Cabinet Office to carry out an investigation to establish the facts. He says Alex Allen, the PM’s independent adviser on ministerial standards, is available to help.

Back to the important stuff....not some deadly disease that could 20% of old people, no, if the nasty lady shouts and swears at people.
  • Options
    Oh God, Mrs U has just messaged to say she is rather concerned about this virus situation and is going to CostCo....this is going to be like Brexit Stockpiling on steroids.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

I see you're all doing really well in NOT TALKING ABOUT CORONAVIRUS in my absence.

So I am not the only Vector of Fear.....

I’m really looking forward to your calm rational analysis if and when we have the first UK Covid-19 fatality on these shores.
    I'll probably be the only one NOT panicking, as I got my panic in early, ie about four weeks ago, when I started telling you all that this was going to happen.
    I have to say that you show admirable stamina in your capacity to panic, having managed to keep delivering a high pressing game for many weeks and with no signs of fatigue yet.
    Posting stats on PB doesn't really count as panic, tho, does it? Or you set a very low bar.

Panicking, to my mind, is running naked to the greengrocers while avidly singing the Marseillaise.

OK go on then post some stats then.

On a daily basis how many people are dying from COVID19?
    How does that compare to how many people are dying daily from influenza?
    How does that compare to how many people are dying daily from road traffic accidents?

What stats do you have to share?
    Yes, because if something is not happening now, that is conclusive proof that it will never happen at all.

"In a few hours it will be night."

"Oh yeah, how many stars are out now, then? How many streetlights are on? What stats have you got about those?"
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,919
    France has effectively declared containment over:

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/coronavirus-on-a-tellement-de-cas-suspects-qu-on-ne-peut-plus-depister-tout-le-monde-29-02-2020-8269836.php

An emergency doctor at the Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital in Paris, where the two coronavirus patients died, Quentin Delannoy explains how the increase in the number of suspected cases in France no longer allows all patients to be tested.
    In the last day or two, there are so many suspicious cases that we can't screen everyone.

If a person coughs, with a slight fever and comes back from Lombardy (Italy), they are told to go home?

That's exactly right. If they have a mild form, they are sent home to quarantine without being diagnosed. Obviously, patients are a little reluctant to isolate themselves at home for 14 days when they don't know if they have the coronavirus. Samu is starting to do the same thing. If a patient calls in with a mild fever and cough, they tell them to stay home. It's a concern, but we're dealing with what we have. The hospital is already saturated, the number of beds is not expandable.

So, whatever France reports, times it by 5 to get real figures.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,228
    edited March 2020
    isam said:

eadric said:

moonshine said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

eristdoof said:

66 million in uk.

33 million catch it.

4% is 1,320,000.

Yes, the same as Asia.

"Lorraine Kelly has revealed that her daughter Rosie, 24, has 'self-isolated' after falling ill in Singapore amid fears about the spread of coronavirus.

The ITV host explained on her daytime show that despite her daughter just having a 'bit of a cold', her husband Steve Smith is jetting to Asia to be with her.

Speaking on Monday's episode, the 60-year-old presenter revealed that her husband had told her that Heathrow airport is 'dead' as travel to certain countries has been discouraged amid the spread of the disease."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-8064673/Lorraine-Kelly-reveals-daughter-Rosie-self-isolated-Singapore-amid-coronavirus-fears.html
    So we now have to quarantine two people instead of one. Way to go, idiot rich people who think that quarantine invokes family going on a 14 hour flight to be with you.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

So we now have to quarantine two people instead of one. Way to go, idiots.

Not as much as those twats who were in Venice, started to run temperatures and feel really ill, so immediately got on a plane to come home.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Anorak said:

Anorak said:

Endillion said:

Are you suggesting that I, like Fermat, am telling porkies?

I am outraged.
    I prefer to think that Fermat was mistaken. I am d*rn sure he had not heard of the Shimura-Taniyama Conjecture :D:D:D

Elliptic curves anyone?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,575

Better handwashing
    Better hygiene
    Better tracking and tracing
    Better self-isolation
    Better awareness
    Better communication
    Better home life
    Better nourished

Than most of the world.

That "libertarian" mask slips once more to reveal what lies beneath.
  • Options
    I have come back to this thread. The other one is too dull.....
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,272

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    Interesting the differences in results. While STV is the theoretically best system, Ams is the most likely one to be adopted if the UK ever does switch to PR. It could potentially happen if 2024 results in a hung parliament. Unlike in 2010 when Labour were basically done with government, a Labour Party in 2024 would be much more willing to implement PR with Lib Dems to get into government.

If the Tories win 2024, its more likely that Labour would win in 2029 with a majority and so PR once again off the table.
    Would the SNP be in favour of PR though? I’d say not, on the numbers.
    We will be independent so will not matter
    Good luck with that Malcolm....

Surely one of the lessons of Brexit is that going independent is anything but a clean process?
    Only if the country is run by rogues and idiots and has same for opposition. We certainly have that with opposition but luckily there are a few sensible ones running the government
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,747
    klobuchar`s been backed down to 6/1 fav for Dem VP. Was 12/1 with Coral 30 mins ago but I missed it. Got a bit on at 10/1 with Smarkets.
This discussion has been closed.