Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the LAB leadership nomination stage coming to an end punt

Comments

• Options

It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345212541423616

I am looking forward to Boris crashing into reality.
    Fighting the EU over ECJ will only boost Johnson's poll ratings I suspect.
    Probably. The only use I have for Brexit is its possible entertainment value, but I would not be surprised if it failed on that front as well....
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    I can't decide if Johnson had no idea what he signed up to, has never had any intention of meeting his contractual obligations, or simply doesn't care about a constituent country of the United Kingdom.

Possibly all three.

None of these alternatives reflect well on Johnson.

It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345212541423616

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367

alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

And I half joked to HYUFD in an attempt to convince him of the seriousness of the situation, that there will be 13 by-elections this year due to deaths from coronavirus if it gets out of hand.
    100% of MPs catching the illness seems a tad unlikely does it not?

What was the last illness to strike 100% of a population?
    Since it transmits like the common cold or at best tuberculosis but much deadlier, the risks are very high.
    There have been ?2 deaths outside mainland China so far?
    3 deaths, which is very interesting on it's own, because it's only 0.5% of those infected so far, unlike 2.2% in China.

So either China is lying about the number of infected, or a number of deaths outside of China has been missed, or it takes many weeks for some to die so the numbers are lagging, or there is an unknown medical reason.
    I seem to recall someone on here suggesting that air pollution might be a factor which I thought at the time seemed plausible.
    Smoking is definitely correlated with vulnerability to infections involving the lungs. Not sure about air pollution - that would sound likely (at the levels in some Chinese cities and the hideous toxins in some places), but I can't recall having seen any medical studies.
    There are some demonstrating correlation:
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6394122/

Ironically, the economic shock of coronavirus has led to considerably improvement in air quality in Chinese urban centres in the last month.
  • Options

What looks like an important thread on the Irish backstop:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1228345212541423616?s=21

It might be important if anyone in govt cared about or could be trusted to care about it
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,367
    kinabalu said:

"Call & Response" at cabinet meetings?

Please.

Rees Mogg, at least, will be used to regular catechism.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,524
    kinabalu said:

Please.

Usually reserved for Sea Shanties etc surely?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,619

kle4 said:

This seems like a curious story about gold exports
    https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1228279325344051200

Very interesting thank you.
    So, not rich people moving their gold out of the country before Corbyn arrived?
    The gnomes of Zurich are back!
    Spunking public money up the wall, picking winners, taking industries into public ownership, a President being impeached, Europe in the news, the US upending the international order. Looks like Edward Heath finally beat Margaret Thatcher...
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,495
    edited February 2020

What looks like an important thread on the Irish backstop:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1228345212541423616?s=21

It might be important if anyone in govt cared about or could be trusted to care about it
    At some point an immovable object and an irresistible force meet over the Irish border thing. But even now it still keeps being put back.

But it must happen sometime mustn't it, especially as Boris has clearly indicated the FTA route rather than alignment.

So far as I can see the only real solution is a united Ireland. Which feels to be a little way down the tracks at the moment.

• Options

Javid, a former banker, is politically cautious and has warned there are risks if the Tory Party, which likes to contrast its prudence with Labour profligacy, abandons the fiscal rules designed to keep a grip on budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8002067/SIMON-WALTERS-Cabinet-reshuffle-crushing-enemies-Dominic-Cummingss-masterplan.html

Exactly how loose would our fiscal rules have to be before we reached the epic slackness promised in the Labour manifesto?
    I'd imagine the blue team will pinch lock, stock and barrel Labour's proposals for including assets in the accounts, along with most of the rest of its platform. #WonTheArgument #LostTheElection.

Quite what this means for the next few years, I am not sure, but it will be amusing to watch pb Tories cheering on Boris as he shakes the magic money tree to nationalise jam factories, allotments and manhole covers, while pb Lefties condemn him for declaring war on public school and Oxbridge SpAds. If Saj Rishi Dom does it right then economic growth will accelerate. If not then Brexit-imposed losses will dominate.
  • Options

Javid, a former banker, is politically cautious and has warned there are risks if the Tory Party, which likes to contrast its prudence with Labour profligacy, abandons the fiscal rules designed to keep a grip on budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8002067/SIMON-WALTERS-Cabinet-reshuffle-crushing-enemies-Dominic-Cummingss-masterplan.html

Exactly how loose would our fiscal rules have to be before we reached the epic slackness promised in the Labour manifesto?
    I'd imagine the blue team will pinch lock, stock and barrel Labour's proposals for including assets in the accounts, along with most of the rest of its platform. #WonTheArgument #LostTheElection.

Quite what this means for the next few years, I am not sure, but it will be amusing to watch pb Tories cheering on Boris as he shakes the magic money tree to nationalise jam factories, allotments and manhole covers, while pb Lefties condemn him for declaring war on public school and Oxbridge SpAds. If Saj Rishi Dom does it right then economic growth will accelerate. If not then Brexit-imposed losses will dominate.
    Tories cheering deficit spending just like Republicans are doing in US.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Johnson is far from the only leader who has used 'call and response' as irritating, juvenile and absurd as it is.

Its been frequently used at PMQs in the past hasn't it? I seem to recall all of Cameron, Milliband and Corbyn doing it - not sure if May did.

Hes done it several times in a short period, which us why its grating
    I don't think I've been anywhere where 'call and response' has been used in any sort of management situation since I left the Boy Scouts 65 or so years ago.
    Church services? The priest yells out some stuff and the audience mutter the approved response...
    "One Solution"

"Revolution"

Is that just the Methodists?
    I have no idea. I stopped going to strange places like that when my parents decided I was too old to force me to go... ;)
    As to the toe curling Wolf Cub dyb dyb dyb dob dob dob stuff (anyone remember that?), Boris has to win elections not please political anoraks (like me) and PBers generally. So far he has proved good at that. Considering the alternative outcome I think we shall just have to put up with it.

• Options

rpjs said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

And I half joked to HYUFD in an attempt to convince him of the seriousness of the situation, that there will be 13 by-elections this year due to deaths from coronavirus if it gets out of hand.

Since it transmits like the common cold or at best tuberculosis but much deadlier, the risks are very high.
    3 deaths, which is very interesting on it's own, because it's only 0.5% of those infected so far, unlike 2.2% in China.

So either China is lying about the number of infected, or a number of deaths outside of China has been missed, or it takes many weeks for some to die so the numbers are lagging, or there is an unknown medical reason.
    Or the Chinese medical system is failing.
    Or the virus has spread beyond healthy travellers to the already sick and infirm in China.
    I suspect that in the early days in China the virus was spreading fast with little understanding of quarantine and treatment, so if you caught it then and didn't get good treatment early on you're probably far more likely to die. Now anyone confirmed is getting treated right from the start and so the death toll is hugely reduced.
    I suspect its more simple than that. Those catching it outside China are largely fit and well so more likely to survive, plus they're getting expert medical care.

If this became a pandemic in this country with the virus spreading through hospitals and care homes I'd expect the mortality rate would be well above 0.5% - but so long as its restricted to a few fit and healthy people its not too troubling.
    I wouldn't be so sure:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1227692578633588736?s=19

On the other hand paediatric cases seem quite rare, which is surely good news.

1 700 infected health care workers with 6 fatalities out of 55 000 cases despite protective equipment shows how transmissable it is.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,897

It will be great to watch supposedly non Partisan observers attack people they obsessively attack for pursuing policies that they themselves consider best for the country
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
    They would not be missed
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Johnson is far from the only leader who has used 'call and response' as irritating, juvenile and absurd as it is.

Its been frequently used at PMQs in the past hasn't it? I seem to recall all of Cameron, Milliband and Corbyn doing it - not sure if May did.

I don't think I've been anywhere where 'call and response' has been used in any sort of management situation since I left the Boy Scouts 65 or so years ago.
    Unless people are primed to respond with a correct answer, with sufficient enthusiasm, it's a very bad idea as it just comes of as silly, stupid, and even as an intended moment of shared embarrassment bonding it falls flat. Woe betide the person doing it and no one responds, or its very half hearted (as it usually is) and they act like they never expected such a thing to happen, and from that point on trying to phony up some more enthusiasm is just sad.
    The Cabinet looked embarrassed. Or at least most of them did.
    Bunch of lickspittle arse lickers he has assembled, they get just what they deserve. Bring out the tumbrils.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    isam said:

It will be great to watch supposedly non Partisan observers attack people they obsessively attack for pursuing policies that they themselves consider best for the country
    Indeed the whingewfest has continued apace today with the whiners not remotely embarrassed by their double standards. They aslo show a staggering lack of understanding of the prime purpose of the Conservative party.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    isam said:

It's like football or Israel/Palestine. It's just more interesting if you pick a side.
  • Options

If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
    Don't worry, Sinn Fein will ride to the rescue to keep Parliament running......
    LOL! Wouldn't meet Quorum rules unfortunately. Maybe the SNP should self-isolate until this happens then spring into motion, they could reach Parliaments quorom ;)
    Why the SNP waste their time in Westminster amazes me. They should boycott the place and get the MP's out canvassing and spending the cash in Scotland.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    Foxy said:

rpjs said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Or the Chinese medical system is failing.
    Or the virus has spread beyond healthy travellers to the already sick and infirm in China.
    I suspect that in the early days in China the virus was spreading fast with little understanding of quarantine and treatment, so if you caught it then and didn't get good treatment early on you're probably far more likely to die. Now anyone confirmed is getting treated right from the start and so the death toll is hugely reduced.
    I suspect its more simple than that. Those catching it outside China are largely fit and well so more likely to survive, plus they're getting expert medical care.

If this became a pandemic in this country with the virus spreading through hospitals and care homes I'd expect the mortality rate would be well above 0.5% - but so long as its restricted to a few fit and healthy people its not too troubling.
    I wouldn't be so sure:

https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1227692578633588736?s=19

On the other hand paediatric cases seem quite rare, which is surely good news.

1 700 infected health care workers with 6 fatalities out of 55 000 cases despite protective equipment shows how transmissable it is.
    Or how poor safety practice is. Or how unavailable PPE is. Many, many possible explanations.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,106
    isam said:

Indeed. But not me. I will be retaining my customary integrity. As a Hard Left Social Democrat I have always set great store by prudence in the public finances. I'm a sound money man through and through. So if this Conservative government under Boris Johnson abandons all semblance of fiscal discipline I will be down on them like a ton of bricks.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,223
    Nigelb said:

alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

I seem to recall someone on here suggesting that air pollution might be a factor which I thought at the time seemed plausible.
    Smoking is definitely correlated with vulnerability to infections involving the lungs. Not sure about air pollution - that would sound likely (at the levels in some Chinese cities and the hideous toxins in some places), but I can't recall having seen any medical studies.

Ironically, the economic shock of coronavirus has led to considerably improvement in air quality in Chinese urban centres in the last month.
    On smoking and air quality, the Chinese have succeeded in recreating the atmosphere of the UK in the 1950s. Quite literally.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

isam said:

It's like football or Israel/Palestine. It's just more interesting if you pick a side.
    So it seems!
  • Options
    edited February 2020
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918

Nigelb said:

alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

On smoking and air quality, the Chinese have succeeded in recreating the atmosphere of the UK in the 1950s. Quite literally.
    It's 10 or so years since I was in Beijing, but the air quality was worse than I recalled from Manchester in the 60's.
  • Options
    This article implies the "leaks" ahead of the budget claiming the Tories were going to introduce a mansion tax and make a raid on pensions was part of a Cummings black ops to discredit Javid and his advisors.

Plausible.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    felix said:

isam said:

Indeed the whingewfest has continued apace today with the whiners not remotely embarrassed by their double standards. They aslo show a staggering lack of understanding of the prime purpose of the Conservative party.
    As a left-wing remainer I am finding the constant whining, whingeing, moaning, sniping, snide, spot-knocking, tittle-tattling MOAN fucking MOAN incredibly wearisome.

Boris Johnson won.

Fucking get over it.
  • Options
    I see Delly Welly's journey from the Boris Golden Age to the hell of Boris Britain is continuing apace:

It’s like being the sole member of an even-worse EU with knobs on, over whose politicians you have no more democratic control than you did over the EU’s because they’re there for the next four years at least with a massive majority.

Some poncy green pillock from Whitehall dictating how they can heat their home on the basis of some bollocks they’ve heard from some Remoaner gimp on the detested BBC?

[...]

Restrictions on their holiday travel?

Massively higher energy bills?

Much, higher taxes?

More eco-brainwashing for their kids at school?

[...]

None of us voted for the Brexit he is delivering because what he is delivering isn’t really Brexit.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/02/06/delingpole-boris-unleashes-green-hell-on-post-brexit-britain/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

If the improvement in air quality in China resulting indirectly from coronavirus turned out to be permanent (it won't), and the virus was confirmed as causing a mortality rate of 2% or a touch more amongst those it infects, then the overall effect of the virus in China would I think be to prolong Chinese life expectancy, on average.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

Indeed. But not me. I will be retaining my customary integrity. As a Hard Left Social Democrat I have always set great store by prudence in the public finances. I'm a sound money man through and through. So if this Conservative government under Boris Johnson abandons all semblance of fiscal discipline I will be down on them like a ton of bricks.
    Interesting to see you are now such a supporter of Osborne's austerity policies now Boris has abandoned them
  • Options
    BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556
    edited February 2020

I see Delly Welly's journey from the Boris Golden Age to the hell of Boris Britain is continuing apace:

It’s like being the sole member of an even-worse EU with knobs on, over whose politicians you have no more democratic control than you did over the EU’s because they’re there for the next four years at least with a massive majority.

Some poncy green pillock from Whitehall dictating how they can heat their home on the basis of some bollocks they’ve heard from some Remoaner gimp on the detested BBC?

[...]

Much, higher taxes?

[...]

None of us voted for the Brexit he is delivering because what he is delivering isn’t really Brexit.

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/2020/02/06/delingpole-boris-unleashes-green-hell-on-post-brexit-britain/

That article was written on 6 Feb. His 3rd bulletpoint has aged well:

'You’d end up with a Chancellor who suddenly revealed himself to be as bad as, if not worse than, Philip Hammond — only one who is entirely unsackable, because he pushes all the appropriate racial/religious minority buttons.'

It's almost as if he knows sod all about anything.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573
    HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Interesting to see you are now such a supporter of Osborne's austerity policies now Boris has abandoned them
    I don't think he actually said that.
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    And what really bemuses me is that some suggested that after Corbyn's defeat I wouldn't be seen on here again.

I'm a lot more 2020 than some others who are ossified in the last parliament.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,962
    edited February 2020

felix said:

isam said:

As a left-wing remainer I am finding the constant whining, whingeing, moaning, sniping, snide, spot-knocking, tittle-tattling MOAN fucking MOAN incredibly wearisome.

Boris Johnson won.

Fucking get over it.
    Your constant moaning 'as a left-wing remainer' about the moaning is also getting wearisome, if a tad unconvincing.
  • Options
    edited February 2020

[...]

Much, higher taxes?

[...]

The same goes for him as it did for those who soiled their underpants about the prospect of what they perceived to be a hard Brexit. We voted to Leave and it is down to the government of the day to choose how
  • Options

[...]

Much, higher taxes?

[...]

'You’d end up with a Chancellor who suddenly revealed himself to be as bad as, if not worse than, Philip Hammond — only one who is entirely unsackable, because he pushes all the appropriate racial/religious minority buttons.'

Saj resigned.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Either that or he wants sky high taxes
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Foxy said:

kinabalu said:

Please.

Usually reserved for Sea Shanties etc surely?
    I doubt there’ll be any Fishermen’s Friends in this government by the time they are done.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Don't think he said that either.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    edited February 2020

Church services? The priest yells out some stuff and the audience mutter the approved response...
    Still common at demos.

Cheerleader: "I say Trump, you say OUT"
    (marchers look slightly confused)
    Cheerleader: Trump!
    Half the crowd: "OUT"
    Half the crowd (look bemused but gradually catch on)

After a few repetitions it works.

Not so common in serious meetings, however.
  • Options
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

OK How did I do that then? Posting here is a mystery to me.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Well he won't get fiscal discipline and a balanced budget then, given he is clearly no fan of the Laffer curve
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320
    Sanders leading in Nevada and Texas (!), but Bloomberg coming up the rails and ahead in Florida: Biden still well clear in Georgia. Little sign of a Buttigieg or Klobouchar bounce, and Warren trundling along in 3rd or lower in most places. Trump-Sanders apparently very close (47-45) in Texas.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/latest_polls/
  • Options
    What is the tl;dr? I see Mayor Pete is into 1.2 on Betfair today. Am I going to regret greening up? Any random errors found in the partial recount or whatever it is they are doing next week should cancel each other out to leave the overall result unchanged, but are they random?
  • Options

It's the catechism that goes something like this:

Q1: What is the chief end of a cabinet minister?
    A:A cabinet minister's chief end is to glorify Johnson, and to abase yourself to him forever.

Q2: What rule hath Johnson given to direct us how we may glorify him?
    :The Word of Cummings, which is contained in the Odyssean blog, is the only rule to direct us how we may glorify him.

And so on..

• Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,159
    edited February 2020
    https://twitter.com/GuitarMoog/status/1228269285467918336

I got 14. A couple of lucky guesses. At least one question is utter bollx.

• Options

[...]

Much, higher taxes?

[...]

Saj resigned.
    You mean made exactly the decision Boris and Classic Dom wanted and engineered? Yes, in that case he indeed 'resigned'.
  • Options
    The bollx question:

What do you have to pay tax on in the UK?

All kind of benefits
    Buying goods from supermarkets
    The Personal Allowance
    Pensions
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,822

Sanders leading in Nevada and Texas (!), but Bloomberg coming up the rails and ahead in Florida: Biden still well clear in Georgia. Little sign of a Buttigieg or Klobouchar bounce, and Warren trundling along in 3rd or lower in most places. Trump-Sanders apparently very close (47-45) in Texas.

What does Bloomberg have to do on Super Tuesday to be a serious contender - win California and Texas and maybe half a dozen other states. Given the huge proportion of delegates up for grabs, IF his strategy succeeds he will have re-written the "How to Win a Nomination" book.

I realise he will get plenty of delegates with second places but I think he needs a series of victories to take momentum to the Florida and north-eastern primaries where in places like New York (you'd think), he might have some support on which to draw.

Thanks for the story on Milford last night - I had heard most of the non-Conservative vote was backing Maxine Gale. A good win for the new ruling group on Waverley BC.
  • Options

What is the tl;dr? I see Mayor Pete is into 1.2 on Betfair today. Am I going to regret greening up? Any random errors found in the partial recount or whatever it is they are doing next week should cancel each other out to leave the overall result unchanged, but are they random?
    I have no idea.
  • Options
    When I think of call and response I think of the Hokey Cokey.

Maybe that's what it's all about.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

felix said:

isam said:

Boris Johnson won.

Fucking get over it.
    Your constant moaning 'as a left-wing remainer' about the moaning is also getting wearisome, if a tad unconvincing.
    I'm convinced.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

Still common at demos.

Cheerleader: "I say Trump, you say OUT"
    (marchers look slightly confused)
    Cheerleader: Trump!
    Half the crowd: "OUT"
    Half the crowd (look bemused but gradually catch on)

After a few repetitions it works.

Not so common in serious meetings, however.
    The novelty is expecting Cabinet to be a serious meeting.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I country

brs.
    tm
    that.
    taxes
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

country

m
    I t.
    Eis
    er.
    ve
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

It country

ricks.
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Well he won't get fiscal discipline and a balanced budget then, given he is clearly no fan of the Laffer curve
    Unless I am missing something from a previous exchange he used the word 'prudence' regarding public finance so I can't see where you can assume from that he is in favour of sky high taxes or austerity.

Re the Laffer curve; again I don't know where that came from (I am clearly missing something), but this has been discussed many times:

As you can not know the shape of the applicable curve or where you are on it, it is impossible to know whether a change in tax rates will generate more or less income. There are only 2 points where you can be sure. They are at 0% and 100%.
  • Options

Seems incredible on the face of it.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932

Just 1? More like 5 of them and that ignores the pointless geography ones.
  • Options

I got 22.
  • Options

felix said:

isam said:

Boris Johnson won.

Fucking get over it.
    I'm convinced.
    Can I sell you a bridge?
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    Every time I have an argument with your HYUFD Vanilla takes you side and sabotages my post.
  • Options
    @HYUFD

I do support Austerity but targeted at those with nice wide shoulders. So not the Osborne variety.

@Mysticrose

Come on then I have an open mind - 3 properly left wing policies that you support with a passion that verges on the uncontrollable.
  • Options
    stodge said:

What does Bloomberg have to do on Super Tuesday to be a serious contender - win California and Texas and maybe half a dozen other states. Given the huge proportion of delegates up for grabs, IF his strategy succeeds he will have re-written the "How to Win a Nomination" book.

I realise he will get plenty of delegates with second places but I think he needs a series of victories to take momentum to the Florida and north-eastern primaries where in places like New York (you'd think), he might have some support on which to draw.

Thanks for the story on Milford last night - I had heard most of the non-Conservative vote was backing Maxine Gale. A good win for the new ruling group on Waverley BC.
    On current polls Sanders leads in California and Texas so yes given Florida votes after Super Tuesday if Bloomberg has not put up a good performance in California and Texas and other states on Super Tuesday by the time Florida votes it may just be a consolation prize
  • Options

I got 22.
    You can stay.
  • Options

I got 22.
    I think all people who admit to voting Leave should have to do it. Anyone of them who gets less than, say 23 out of 24, should be deported to the Falkland Islands
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

Well the NI question as well, it's a tax like any other now.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,389

kle4 said:

I'd say it happens all the time at political conferences and in Parliament as a way to rev up audiences.

eg Obama at Labour conf in 2016.
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I country

brs.
    tm
    that.
    taxes
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

country

m
    I t.
    Eis
    er.
    ve
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

It country

ricks.
    Interesting to see you are now em
    HYUFD said:

kjh said:

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Indeed. But not me. I will be retaining my e a ton of bricks.
    Well he won't get fiscal discipline and ve
    Unless I am missing something from a previous exchange he used the word 'prudence' regarding public finance so I can't see where you can assume from that he is in favour of sky high taxes or austerity.

Re the Laffer curve; again I don't know where that came from (I am clearly missing something), but this has been discussed many times:

As you can not know the shape of the applicable curve or where you are on it, it is impossible to know whether a change in tax rates will generate more or less income. There are only 2 points where you can be sure. They are at 0% and 100%.
    He was attacking Boris for tax cuts and spending rises and supposedly expanding the deficit, so yes either he backs spending cuts or freezes or tax rises as an alternative.

Given Boris is not promising to raise spending to 100% or cut tax to 0% there is also limited room to attack him on the Laffer curve too
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I suppose you don't agree with Matthew D'Ancona's comment in Wednesday's Standard:

"As for cake, you can have it, you can eat it but either way you end up paying for it."

• Options
    I know it's shooting fish in a barrel, but this one was particularly amusing:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1228369486681690119
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@HYUFD

I do support Austerity but targeted at those with nice wide shoulders. So not the Osborne variety.

@Mysticrose

Come on then I have an open mind - 3 properly left wing policies that you support with a passion that verges on the uncontrollable.

You cannot really have austerity for non state funded private schools and private hospitals, tac rises for the rich maybe
  • Options
    Although I cannot see RLB as leader of anything, in some ways she is more right about the defeat and its aftermath than the centrists. Whether her label as Continuity Corbyn is a blessing or a curse, I do not think it is accurate.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Christ!

My 25 year old daughter, despite having all the vaccinations, has just caught mumps.

How can that be?

Back to mothering duties again......
  • Options

15 for me. Some of the questions have fuck all to do with civic life or UK culture. And one is clearly wrong - you do pay taxes on most goods you buy, not just taxes on pensions. And what the hell has when Vaisakhi is to do with being British?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Every time I have an argument with your HYUFD Vanilla takes you side and sabotages my post.

You ended up printing his post twice. Definitely not what the doctor ordered. 😊
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

You cannot really have austerity for non state funded private schools and private hospitals, tac rises for the rich maybe

Would you support reform of Council Tax bands to create more bands for higher valued properties?

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

kle4 said:

Not been to many American style "team building" corporate events then I guess?

Urgh!
    "YES AND HO!"

Oh for the days when "The Thick Of It" was satire and not a blueprint.
  • Options
    MattW said:

kle4 said:

I'd say it happens all the time at political conferences and in Parliament as a way to rev up audiences.

eg Obama at Labour conf in 2016.
    And to think Jo Swinson was mocked for seeming like a primary school teacher.
  • Options
    No vaccine is 100% effective. For mumps, the figure is around 88%, so your daughter may just be one of the unlucky 1 in 8. Did she have booster shots? They are recommended every 3-6 years. Though once she is recovered, she should have lifelong immunity.
    Cyclefree said:

Christ!

My 25 year old daughter, despite having all the vaccinations, has just caught mumps.

How can that be?

• Options

I suppose I'll be accused of being a po-faced wokie knobhead and overreacting but this to me - forced chanting at cabinet meetings - is a most unwelcome development in our politics.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

I suppose I'll be accused of being a po-faced wokie knobhead and overreacting but this to me - forced chanting at cabinet meetings - is a most unwelcome development in our politics.
    Outrageous! You'll be for banning 'The Red Flag' next...
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    kinabalu said:

Christ knows what goes on after the cameras have left the room.

Hazing of the new ministers?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Christ knows what goes on after the cameras have left the room.

Hazing of the new ministers?
    Whisky and revolvers if they had any self respect!
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Cyclefree said:

Christ!

How can that be?

Hope she recovers quickly. I think mumps is one that requires boosters every so many years. I had to have it to emigrate to the US even though I'd had mumps as a child.
  • Options

I know it's shooting fish in a barrel, but this one was particularly amusing:

https://twitter.com/gsoh31/status/1228369486681690119

Owen Hatherley has written a tonne of books about modern/ish architecture and the way his predjudices and issues radiate from every single page is phenomenal.

My favourite bit is Barrow, which he recognises that he should, at least, like, but he just can't.
  • Options
    TimT said:

15 for me. Some of the questions have fuck all to do with civic life or UK culture. And one is clearly wrong - you do pay taxes on most goods you buy, not just taxes on pensions. And what the hell has when Vaisakhi is to do with being British?
    The taxes in supermarkets question is just meaningless rubbish; the 'correct' answer depends on the (unexpressed) meaning of an ambiguous question.

• Options
    @BluestBlue

Nothing wrong with a song. If "Boris" wants to close every cabinet meeting with a hymn or a sea shanty, fine.

But no coercive chanting. That is to humiliate and infantalize his colleagues. It's gratuitous. It's cruel. And most importantly it will not lead to good governance.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@BluestBlue

Nothing wrong with a song. If "Boris" wants to close every cabinet meeting with a hymn or a sea shanty, fine.

But no coercive chanting. That is to humiliate and infantalize his colleagues. It's gratuitous. It's cruel. And most importantly it will not lead to good governance.

So who gets to play the role of his court jester or naysayer?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

@BluestBlue

Farage.
  • Options
    TimT said:

kinabalu said:

@BluestBlue

@TheScreamingEagles :lol:
  • Options
    Ok, I'm beginning to panic now. I assumed Bloomberg as a vanity candidate whose approach was fatally flawed. But his opinion polls are climbing. Given the events to date, can he take the nomination? I'll be really miffed if he does. Trump ignored scrutiny and bullied his way in, Boris ignore scrutiny and plowed on, now Bloomberg might pull off the same trick?
  • Options
    rpjs said:

Cyclefree said:

Christ!

How can that be?

Hope she recovers quickly. I think mumps is one that requires boosters every so many years. I had to have it to emigrate to the US even though I'd had mumps as a child.
    She got all the boosters. The doctor thinks she may have caught it on her recent holiday in Mexico. She has to stay isolated as her white blood cell count is low and for other obvious reasons. So I will be doing the warming broth and cuddles act, just like in years past.

Mothering never really ends, does it.
  • Options
    TimT said:

No vaccine is 100% effective. For mumps, the figure is around 88%, so your daughter may just be one of the unlucky 1 in 8. Did she have booster shots? They are recommended every 3-6 years. Though once she is recovered, she should have lifelong immunity.

Cyclefree said:

Christ!

How can that be?

She had the boosters all through school. But, tbh, I didn't realise you needed them once you are an adult. Should my sons get a booster? Yikes...
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Man City two year champions league ban, 30 million fine
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

@BluestBlue

Of all the problems this government will have, running Cabinet by Stuart Pearson rules is the least of them... :(
  • Options
    edited February 2020
    rpjs said:

kle4 said:

Not been to many American style "team building" corporate events then I guess?

Urgh!
    "YES AND HO!"

Oh for the days when "The Thick Of It" was satire and not a blueprint.
    "Are you an American or an Americ-can't?"
This discussion has been closed.