Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the LAB leadership nomination stage coming to an end punt

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited February 2020 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the LAB leadership nomination stage coming to an end punters are getting a tad nervous about Starmer

Today marks the end of the second stage of LAB’s leadership election – the period when CLPs and affiliated organisations have made their nominations.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,201
    edited February 2020
    First like the working class hero Sir Keir.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,564
    Nerves because he is so far ahead and doubting that can truly be so is normal. Hes going to walk it - if one of the others was going to capture attention if the members they would have already. Nandy occasionally says critical things so shes out, RLB seen too much an extension of the last regime, so not enough support.
  • MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    edited February 2020
    Despite the best efforts of Corbyn-Momentum-Unite-RLB to cook the books in the long and glorious tradition of the totalitarian Left, this looks to be in the bag for Keir Starmer.

He has done well. Avoided major controversies. Shown himself to have roots beyond his successful legal and political career.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    Starmer will win, he's eminently qualified to be Labour leader.

He has a penis.
  • Starmer will win, he's eminently qualified to be Labour leader.

He has a penis.

:D:D:D

Probably true
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,829
    This dreary contest is only half way through, but we already know Nandy is Labour’s best choice.

Too bad they will pick Keir.
    It is not just that he is boring. It is also that he appears to be an idea-free zone.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,954

He has a penis.

It might be 50 years after Thatcher became leader by the time Labour has a woman leader.
    The sting about a female leader has rather gone out of the tail thanks to Theresa May. I mean, no-one can exactly say that it went well for the Tories last time round.
    edited February 2020

The sting about a female leader has rather gone out of the tail thanks to Theresa May. I mean, no-one can exactly say that it went well for the Tories last time round.

It's almost as if you should choose the best person for the job, not a tick box.
    edited February 2020

Too bad they will pick Keir.
    It is also that he appears to be an idea-free zone.

Which worked brilliantly for Tony Blair.

I think Labour are electable when they have a leader with no ideas.

The moment they have an ideologue at the helm they're doomed at the ballot box.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,087

He has a penis.

Probably true
    You suggesting he might not have a penis?

He has a penis.

Probably true
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-tYZkJ2p54
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,033
    The mood at my CLP is strongly pro Starmer. I am quite surprised by the extent of it.
    edited February 2020
    kinabalu said:

The mood at my CLP is strongly pro Starmer. I am quite surprised by the extent of it.

It's a sign that Labour are getting hungry for Government once more.

All very laudable wanting to re-create the world in the image of Mao Tse Tung but I think a lot of left-leaners like myself would like to be back in power.
  • kinabalu said:

I think the support for Starmer is very much due to his remain attitude to the EU and his desire to be in the EU and listening to him he struggles to come to terms with brexit
  • Is that supposed to make us think better of 'call and response' then?
  • speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    And I half joked to HYUFD in an attempt to convince him of the seriousness of the situation, that there will be 13 by-elections this year due to deaths from coronavirus if it gets out of hand.
  • If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
  • speedy2 said:

And I half joked to HYUFD in an attempt to convince him of the seriousness of the situation, that there will be 13 by-elections this year due to deaths from coronavirus if it gets out of hand.
    100% of MPs catching the illness seems a tad unlikely does it not?

What was the last illness to strike 100% of a population?
  • Labour is only about half-way through this absurdly long process, isn't it?
    edited February 2020

If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
    And the PM, and anyone who has come into contact with the PM, which is a very large list of top officials, including the entire cabinet
  • QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Labour is only about half-way through this absurdly long process, isn't it?

And yet it's basically over. A strange situation.
  • speedy2 said:

If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
    And the PM, and anyone who has come into contact with the PM, which is a very large list of top officials, including the entire cabinet
    How many degrees of separation does self-isolation go?

I thought self-isolation was only if you've been in contact, not two degrees of separation from someone who has the virus?
  • Lilian Greenwood also attended the conference

I understand the HOC is going into recess so maybe they all need to go into self isolation for 14 days

speedy2 said:

Since it transmits like the common cold or at best tuberculosis but much deadlier, the risks are very high.
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Since it transmits like the common cold or at best tuberculosis but much deadlier, the risks are very high.
    There have been ?2 deaths outside mainland China so far?
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

kinabalu said:

It's a sign that Labour are getting hungry for Government once more.

All very laudable wanting to re-create the world in the image of Mao Tse Tung but I think a lot of left-leaners like myself would like to be back in power.
    Alternatively, they still want a far left manifesto but with Rejoin included.

Starmer makes lots of the right kinds of noises about the Corbyn project, can't be plausibly accused of disloyalty, and - like most of the Labour membership but unlike the Dear Leader - is a Europhile. He's essentially offering more of the same packaged in blue and gold gift wrap.

speedy2 said:

I thought self-isolation was only if you've been in contact, not two degrees of separation from someone who has the virus?
    The Cabinet is made of MP's.
  • Johnson is far from the only leader who has used 'call and response' as irritating, juvenile and absurd as it is.

Its been frequently used at PMQs in the past hasn't it? I seem to recall all of Cameron, Milliband and Corbyn doing it - not sure if May did.
    I suspect before too long we may give up on the idea of trying to track n' trace all possible contaminants

https://twitter.com/reggiemal/status/1228254934891663360?s=20

• speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

The Cabinet is made of MP's.
    You said "anyone who has been in contact with the PM" when the question was an MP getting the virus not the PM. The PM and Cabinet may have all been in touch with the MP who had the virus but everyone who has been in contact with the PM may not have been surely?
  • I suspect before too long we may give up on the idea of trying to track n' trace all possible contaminants

Tweet sent 5 hours ago but no word of it on the news. Sounds like BS, hope it is, though its not a clever thing to joke about.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,923

I suspect before too long we may give up on the idea of trying to track n' trace all possible contaminants

Tweet sent 5 hours ago but no word of it on the news. Sounds like BS, hope it is, though its not a clever thing to joke about.
    8 planes in lockdown at Heathrow according to the Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8004013/Coronavirus-chaos-Heathrow-EIGHT-planes-lockdown-runway.html
    edited February 2020

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

3 deaths, which is very interesting on it's own, because it's only 0.5% of those infected so far, unlike 2.2% in China.

So either China is lying about the number of infected, or a number of deaths outside of China has been missed, or it takes many weeks for some to die so the numbers are lagging, or there is an unknown medical reason.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2020
    eek said:

8 planes in lockdown at Heathrow according to the Mail https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-8004013/Coronavirus-chaos-Heathrow-EIGHT-planes-lockdown-runway.html
    Ouch!

Surprised its not been on Sky News! Sorry I was wrong.
  • speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

3 deaths, which is very interesting on it's own, because it's only 0.5% of those infected so far, unlike 2.2% in China.

So either China is lying about the number of infected, or a number of deaths outside of China has been missed, or it takes many weeks for some to die so the numbers are lagging, or there is an unknown medical reason.
    Or the Chinese medical system is failing.
    Or the virus has spread beyond healthy travellers to the already sick and infirm in China.
  • rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Or the virus has spread beyond healthy travellers to the already sick and infirm in China.
    I suspect that in the early days in China the virus was spreading fast with little understanding of quarantine and treatment, so if you caught it then and didn't get good treatment early on you're probably far more likely to die. Now anyone confirmed is getting treated right from the start and so the death toll is hugely reduced.
  • rpjs said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

I suspect that in the early days in China the virus was spreading fast with little understanding of quarantine and treatment, so if you caught it then and didn't get good treatment early on you're probably far more likely to die. Now anyone confirmed is getting treated right from the start and so the death toll is hugely reduced.
    I suspect its more simple than that. Those catching it outside China are largely fit and well so more likely to survive, plus they're getting expert medical care.

If this became a pandemic in this country with the virus spreading through hospitals and care homes I'd expect the mortality rate would be well above 0.5% - but so long as its restricted to a few fit and healthy people its not too troubling.

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

It was always officially 2% in China since the beggining.
  • speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

It was always officially 2% in China since the beggining.
    It wasn't only affecting fit and healthy travellers in China at the beginning.

Don't worry, Sinn Fein will ride to the rescue to keep Parliament running......
    edited February 2020

I suspect before too long we may give up on the idea of trying to track n' trace all possible contaminants.

It's already breaking down in Japan with a spate of new cases across the country with no obvious relation to known patients.

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Or the shocking state of China's air pollution renders a respitory disease far more virulent there than places where air quality is much better.

It may prove to be a debilitating/deadly disease of highly polluted cities.
  • If an MP gets coronavirus then will they have to shut the Commons down for a fortnight? An MP who has attended PMQs or voted in the lobbies could have come into contact with the rest of the Commons surely?
    Don't worry, Sinn Fein will ride to the rescue to keep Parliament running......
    LOL! Wouldn't meet Quorum rules unfortunately. Maybe the SNP should self-isolate until this happens then spring into motion, they could reach Parliaments quorom ;)
  • alteregoalterego Posts: 1,100
    speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

I seem to recall someone on here suggesting that air pollution might be a factor which I thought at the time seemed plausible.
  • speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Or the shocking state of China's air pollution renders a respitory disease far more virulent there than places where air quality is much better.

It may prove to be a debilitating/deadly disease of highly polluted cities.
    Indeed. There's a reason many in China wear masks while on the streets already and its not because of viruses.

rpjs said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

I suspect its more simple than that. Those catching it outside China are largely fit and well so more likely to survive, plus they're getting expert medical care.

If this became a pandemic in this country with the virus spreading through hospitals and care homes I'd expect the mortality rate would be well above 0.5% - but so long as its restricted to a few fit and healthy people its not too troubling.
    Since Coronavirus works similarly to Tuberculosis it could be smoking and air pollusion.

The Chinese are ferocious smokers and their air is very filthy.

A pupe oxygen environment might be good, even Sanatoriums might make a comeback, but this disease kills in days not years.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,885

Quincel said:

Labour is only about half-way through this absurdly long process, isn't it?

And yet it's basically over. A strange situation.
    Long victory lap.

Johnson is far from the only leader who has used 'call and response' as irritating, juvenile and absurd as it is.

Its been frequently used at PMQs in the past hasn't it? I seem to recall all of Cameron, Milliband and Corbyn doing it - not sure if May did.

Hes done it several times in a short period, which us why its grating
  • Mr. Mark, long time ago now, but when I was in Shanghai the air quality was noticeable. You could almost taste it.
    edited February 2020
    Pulpstar said:

I look at that and wonder "Is "Valentine's" the latest venue to get "done" by the Bullingdon Club...?

He has a penis.

Probably true
    I have no idea. I have not checked, nor do I intend to.
  • glw said:
    ... and there was me thinking the judiciary was independent (excpt for the Supreme Court justices being political appointments of course - as Boris and Suella will no doubt copy).
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I’m hearing Keir Starmer speak tonight in Newcastle. I will report back.
  • Could be the other way round.
    Bloomberg supported Biden until it looked like he would fail.
  • What I was saying earlier about Johnson and Domonomics, but written by an economist in proper finance speak.

https://twitter.com/rbrharrison/status/1228301392345010183
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,079
    alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

I seem to recall someone on here suggesting that air pollution might be a factor which I thought at the time seemed plausible.
    Think that was me. Pure speculation of course but the virus does attack the respiratory system.
  • Pulpstar said:

Is BJ morphing into Ted Heath?
  • Javid, a former banker, is politically cautious and has warned there are risks if the Tory Party, which likes to contrast its prudence with Labour profligacy, abandons the fiscal rules designed to keep a grip on budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8002067/SIMON-WALTERS-Cabinet-reshuffle-crushing-enemies-Dominic-Cummingss-masterplan.html
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    kle4 said:

Johnson is far from the only leader who has used 'call and response' as irritating, juvenile and absurd as it is.

I don't think I've been anywhere where 'call and response' has been used in any sort of management situation since I left the Boy Scouts 65 or so years ago.
  • I’m hearing Keir Starmer speak tonight in Newcastle. I will report back.

Take some Red Bull with you to get through it.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,311
    edited February 2020
    Waverley Surrey by-election last night - this was in Milford (near Godalming), a formerly safe Tory ward lost to a LibDem/Independent combo last May, as part of the wave of Lib/Lab/Green/Resident insurgents which toppled the Tory majority. The Indie died, sadly, and the Conservatives hoped to win it back with an all-out effort including multiple leaflets and knock-up. Labour and LibDems and Green backed a new friendly independent, and there was also a formerly UKIP independent to muddy the waters. The result (28%) turnout was that the "progressive" independent got 51%, the Conservatives 37% and the ex-UKIP Indie 13%.

Hard to compare exactly as May was a 2-member election in Milford, but it's a broadly comparable result, suggesting that the insurgent coalition remains quite popular. I did quite a bit of canvassing there - there was a significant personal vote and also some entrenched anti-Tory feeling which I'd not really expected in these wooded villages. The area was very strongly pro-Remain and that's left its traces - met several lifelong Conservatives who said "never again". It's not only the red wall that Brexit has changed in British politics.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,209

Pulpstar said:

Is BJ morphing into Ted Heath?
    The resemblance had struck me before, too.

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

This has been discussed before.
    There are only a few hundred cases outside of China, and most of those fairly recent. The indications are that it can be several weeks after infection before those who die succumb to the disease.

We we have a better idea of what to expect in a few weeks' time.
    (Note that the first Japanese death was reported only yesterday.)
  • I’m hearing Keir Starmer speak tonight in Newcastle. I will report back.

Take some Red Bull with you to get through it.
    Surely a speech by a prospective Labour leader will be little else other than "Red Bull"? ;)

kle4 said:

I don't think I've been anywhere where 'call and response' has been used in any sort of management situation since I left the Boy Scouts 65 or so years ago.
    Unless people are primed to respond with a correct answer, with sufficient enthusiasm, it's a very bad idea as it just comes of as silly, stupid, and even as an intended moment of shared embarrassment bonding it falls flat. Woe betide the person doing it and no one responds, or its very half hearted (as it usually is) and they act like they never expected such a thing to happen, and from that point on trying to phony up some more enthusiasm is just sad.
  • kle4 said:

Church services? The priest yells out some stuff and the audience mutter the approved response...
  • BluestBlueBluestBlue Posts: 4,556

Javid, a former banker, is politically cautious and has warned there are risks if the Tory Party, which likes to contrast its prudence with Labour profligacy, abandons the fiscal rules designed to keep a grip on budgets.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8002067/SIMON-WALTERS-Cabinet-reshuffle-crushing-enemies-Dominic-Cummingss-masterplan.html

Exactly how loose would our fiscal rules have to be before we reached the epic slackness promised in the Labour manifesto?

Politics is a game of relative comparison - the Tories have a lot more latitude with both the public and the markets because they've proven they're willing to inflict grinding austerity as and when necessary, and they don't look like a gathering of unkempt communists.

What I was saying earlier about Johnson and Domonomics, but written by an economist in proper finance speak.

https://twitter.com/rbrharrison/status/1228301392345010183

Trump's America ?
  • It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyRTE/status/1228345212541423616
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Unless people are primed to respond with a correct answer, with sufficient enthusiasm, it's a very bad idea as it just comes of as silly, stupid, and even as an intended moment of shared embarrassment bonding it falls flat. Woe betide the person doing it and no one responds, or its very half hearted (as it usually is) and they act like they never expected such a thing to happen, and from that point on trying to phony up some more enthusiasm is just sad.
    Even if they are it's still infantile.
  • Mr. Nabavi, is that as part of the transition or on a permanent basis?

If the latter, could rather suggest the PM's lack of a grasp of detail could bite him rather quickly.
  • What looks like an important thread on the Irish backstop:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1228345212541423616?s=21
  • It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

I am looking forward to Boris crashing into reality.
    Nigelb said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Even if they are it's still infantile.
    Oh undoubtedly. But really it is worse than that - even as a child it was almost always irritating. It can work, but it is rare.
    This seems like a curious story about gold exports
    https://twitter.com/EdConwaySky/status/1228279325344051200
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,033
    "Call & Response" at cabinet meetings?

Please.
    edited February 2020
    kle4 said:

Indeed but at similar occasions to which Cameron did stunts like that. Don't forget this was the first cabinet meeting of the new cabinet post-reshuffle. Johnson hasn't had a regular run of office, just week after week of doing the job. He's been PM for nearly six months now but also for not much time at all simultaneously. Between recesses, Christmas, election and everything else its all been stunts until now - and now we're heading into another recess!

It will be interested to see Johnson getting a few months of just day-to-day politics, that hasn't happened yet.

Fighting the EU over ECJ will only boost Johnson's poll ratings I suspect.
    edited February 2020

It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

I'm not. First as we'll crash into it with him (so hopefully he is right about things, as I have been wrong about him being wrong before), and second because like an autocratic regime turning to brutal violence the first time it encounters true difficulty, someone selling dreams is liable to lash out unpredictably (in political terms) even we then all wake up.
  • Could be the other way round.
    Bloomberg supported Biden until it looked like he would fail.
    Of course, there's another dynamic here. Everyone in the race can attack Bloomberg, the poster child for the 1%. That way they shore up their progressive credentials without having to move from a vaguely centrist position.
  • Mr. Nabavi, is that as part of the transition or on a permanent basis?

If the latter, could rather suggest the PM's lack of a grasp of detail could bite him rather quickly.

Permanent.
    edited February 2020
    kle4 said:

Interesting thread - though the dig at a Minister for usual traditional and internationally comparable headline figures was rather unnecessary, especially since it remained an increase it wasn't like it turned a decrease into an increase.

Ministers should probably use international standard headline figures - if they get to start "tweaking" to "correct" figures that's not a particularly good idea as it will be abused to "correct" figures by a nefarious government to be what they want it to be.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    kle4 said:

Very interesting thank you.
  • Mr. Nabavi, well.

I'm saddened to see my view of Boris Johnson as someone unfit to be in Cabinet, let alone PM, is vindicated. [He was still the lesser of two evils, but that's a fucking horrendous failure on his part].
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,561

kle4 said:

Church services? The priest yells out some stuff and the audience mutter the approved response...
    "One Solution"

"Revolution"

Is that just the Methodists?
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,893
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

The Cabinet looked embarrassed. Or at least most of them did.
  • kle4 said:

Not been to many American style "team building" corporate events then I guess?

Urgh!
  • kle4 said:

"One Solution"

"Revolution"

Is that just the Methodists?
    I have no idea. I stopped going to strange places like that when my parents decided I was too old to force me to go... ;)
  • isamisam Posts: 40,873

kle4 said:

"65 OR SO YEARS AGO"
  • kle4 said:

So, not rich people moving their gold out of the country before Corbyn arrived?
  • isamisam Posts: 40,873

What looks like an important thread on the Irish backstop:

https://twitter.com/tconnellyrte/status/1228345212541423616?s=21

Does Sinn Fein's performance at the Irish Election alter anything?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,158
    alterego said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

speedy2 said:

Smoking is definitely correlated with vulnerability to infections involving the lungs. Not sure about air pollution - that would sound likely (at the levels in some Chinese cities and the hideous toxins in some places), but I can't recall having seen any medical studies.
  • kle4 said:

So, not rich people moving their gold out of the country before Corbyn arrived?
    The gnomes of Zurich are back!
  • kle4 said:

It really is a funny old world. All those Brexiteers such as Boris Johnson and Jacob Rees-Mogg, who spent ages telling us how totally unacceptable it was having the ECJ having jurisdiction over internal UK affairs, have signed up to a legal agreement giving the ECJ direct jurisdiction over internal UK affairs:

I'm not. First as we'll crash into it with him (so hopefully he is right about things, as I have been wrong about him being wrong before), and second because like an autocratic regime turning to brutal violence the first time it encounters true difficulty, someone selling dreams is liable to lash out unpredictably (in political terms) even we then all wake up.
    He may well take us with him, but as several posters on here reassured me over the past few years "So what if it is a disaster? At least it is OUR disaster"

Which is a stupid attitude, but I am looking forward to seeing them stick to their guns....
This discussion has been closed.