Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft polling that could most worry the Tories

SystemSystem Posts: 11,692
edited March 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Ashcroft polling that could most worry the Tories

There’s a big expectation that by the time we get to GE2015 many of those ex-CON voters now saying UKIP will, when push comes to shove, return to the blue fold.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If you live in a safe seat of any hue, casting a vote for UKIP will make no difference to the prospects of an Ed Miliband premiership. So the 51% may be absolutely correct in their assessment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,939
    antifrank said:

If you live in a safe seat of any hue, casting a vote for UKIP will make no difference to the prospects of an Ed Miliband premiership. So the 51% may be absolutely correct in their assessment.

How aware are people of the marginality of their seat though. A poll of marginals asking this question would be of high psephological interest.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Is there such a thing as a "fiercely contested local by-election"?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952
    Heraths figs in the NZ innings so far... tidy

2-2-0-3
  • Options
    He's got another!

Herath 2.3-2-1-4
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    isam said:

He's got another!

Herath 2.3-2-1-4

And he got a run out.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Interesting that in Glasgow, with 7 constituencies, there were only 6,284 more votes cast in 2010 than Edinburgh, which has 5 constituencies.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,832
    AndyJS said:
    I wonder if possibly you are risking confounding (1) the SNP vote with indy, and (2) the SNP vote at a UK GE (replete with tactical voting) for the underlying sentiment as shown in a Scottish election. I hasten to admit that I don't know what the answer will be.The devo referendum shows a different pattern, at least for Glasgow. But that was a long time ago and in a different universe, it almost feels like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1997#Vote_by_each_area

BTW, did anyone mention Mr Massie's latest Speccy piece, which advocates the Admiral Byng treatment for the unnamed minister?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2014/03/from-time-to-time-it-is-necessary-to-execute-a-government-minister-to-encourage-the-others-this-is-one-such-moment/

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,782
    SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

And the Nats can hardly complain about there being too many referendums.

Oh, but they do.......

People in England, Wales and Northern Ireland should not be given a formal say on whether an independent Scotland joins a currency union with the UK, according to Alex Salmond.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26366676

As John Curtice observed, Osborne's currency intervention may not have shifted opinion in Scotland, but it sure as heck has shifted it in rUK - from evenly balanced, to 2:1 against.

Up to the 18th September, only Scots' opinions matter.

After the 18th, they are irrelevant.....the other 92% of the UK decides.....
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    SeanT said:

That adds more doubt to the situation: English, Welsh and Ulster voters will be given a say on the rUK's fiscal settlement with Scotland. Indeed it is hard to believe any rUK government would go into a formal currency union with a foreign country WITHOUT asking the people in a referendum, first.

I can certainly imagine a Labour government doing just that. They were quite happy to sign the Lisbon treaty without asking the public first.
  • Options
    On topic, as with OGH observation about "my constituency" making the question less abstract, so, as time goes by, will the concept of a Miliband premiership become.....one way, or the other.....
  • Options

On topic, as with OGH observation about "my constituency" making the question less abstract, so, as time goes by, will the concept of a Miliband premiership become.....one way, or the other.....

Iirc ICM ask a similar question for their VI polls.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

People in England, Wales and Northern Ireland should not be given a formal say on whether an independent Scotland joins a currency union with the UK, according to Alex Salmond.

As John Curtice observed, Osborne's currency intervention may not have shifted opinion in Scotland, but it sure as heck has shifted it in rUK - from evenly balanced, to 2:1 against.

You should read the piece. It does not bear the burden of its [edit: initial para].

• Options
    Watching Rory Stewart's documentary on the Borders. Not impressed tbh.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    In truth I doubt that many people give a toss whether Scotland has a currency union. And please no more referendums - we are not bloody Switzerland.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

You should read the piece. It does not bear the burden of its [edit: initial para].

I have - this sums it up well:

However, a Better Together spokesman said Mr Salmond was under pressure to spell out a "Plan B" on currency, and had "a bad habit of telling people in the rest of the UK what's in their best interests without going to the bother of asking them."

He added: "Recent polls have shown overwhelming opposition to a currency union if Scotland left the UK.

"There is a clear pattern emerging here. On one side you have the three UK parties saying a currency union won't happen and people in the rest of the UK supporting that. On the other side you have Alex Salmond saying they are all wrong and only he is right.

Clear enough?
  • Options
    Scrap trading update - now down just circa £1,100...

• Options
    Carnyx said:

AndyJS said:
    BTW, did anyone mention Mr Massie's latest Speccy piece, which advocates the Admiral Byng treatment for the unnamed minister?

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2014/03/from-time-to-time-it-is-necessary-to-execute-a-government-minister-to-encourage-the-others-this-is-one-such-moment/

Agree entirely with Massie. Though in the traditional Admiral Byng sense, not the McPoison corruption.....

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2014
    " People in England, Wales and Northern Ireland should not be given a formal say on whether an independent Scotland joins a currency union with the UK, according to Alex Salmond."

Perhaps this preposterous man would like to choose the next US President on behalf of the American people.
  • Options
    Erm, did England decide to play again but disguised as NZ?
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

In truth I doubt that many people give a toss whether Scotland has a currency union. And please no more referendums - we are not bloody Switzerland.

You'll find in rUK they are 2:1 against......You keep moaning about the Better Together campaign - what do you want Labour to do about it - they, and their voters are the weakest link.....
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    corporeal said:

isam said:

He's got another!

Herath 2.3-2-1-4

And he got a run out.

Heraths final bowling analysis

3.3-2-3-5

18 dots from 21!!!
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SeanT

'Given the damage to the unionist cause from last week's gaffe, this now has to be the Unionist position: whatever happens, we will consult the British voter (ex Scotland).'

An excellent opportunity for a private members bill to give it legal backing,in the event that any future government offers a currency union with Scotland then a referendum automatically kicks in.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    isam said:
    Thanks, I've downloaded it and I'll have a read when I get a mo'.

• Options
    edited March 2014
    T20 today.

2 matches, 4 innings. 72 overs and 4 balls bowled, 34 wickets fell, 400 runs scored.

Top individual and team scorers were the Netherlands.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    isam said:
    Excellent report, received by post a week ago. Some good facts and figures which will probably see light in wednesday's debate.
  • Options
    NZ vs Sri Lanka

Ridiculous 2nd Inns

Williamson scored 42 out of 60-9
    Herath took 5 for 3 in 3.3 overs
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Labour NEC decisions on selections...

Ellesmere Port & Neston (majority 9.8%): Open shortlist
    Stirling (maj 17.9%): AWS
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    BobaFett said:

I think you are wrong. It will be like being in the Euro with just us and Greece.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Quite. The Nats are dismayed by the idea of the rUK voters being given a direct say on currency union, as they know that answer would be NO WAY, HAMISH.

Given the damage to the unionist cause from last week's gaffe, this now has to be the Unionist position: whatever happens, we will consult the British voter (ex Scotland). And they need to make this plain NOW.

The rogue minister put Faslane into play. On top of that, of course, you have to throw in rUK control over an independent Scotland's monetary and fiscal policy. There is plenty there to work with, surely, before you even start to talk about another referendum.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

I think you are wrong. It will be like being in the Euro with just us and Greece.

Who would playing the role of Greece again?
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

Not even Ed is offering free tuition fees, prescriptions and £6000 per person on roads.

• Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Quite. The Nats are dismayed by the idea of the rUK voters being given a direct say on currency union, as they know that answer would be NO WAY, HAMISH.

Given the damage to the unionist cause from last week's gaffe, this now has to be the Unionist position: whatever happens, we will consult the British voter (ex Scotland). And they need to make this plain NOW.

The rogue minister put Faslane into play.
    Salmond says no:

Alex Salmond has denied that Trident nuclear weapons could stay in Scotland after independence as the fallout from a UK minister's anonymous briefing over sharing the pound intensified.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scottish-independence/10732762/Alex-Salmond-We-wont-trade-Trident-position-for-the-pound.html

This is a good technical piece, which pre-dates Osborne's currency intervention, but is still worth reading:

http://www.maltinpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Lyddon-Consulting-Services-Independent-Report-into-the-fiscal-implications-of-Scottish-Independence-.pdf

The founder of Barrhead travel has just sent a copy to his employees:

The founder of Barrhead Travel has told his staff that a "Yes" vote in Scotland's independence referendum would be "a disaster".

Bill Munro sent a memo to staff about what he saw as the dangers of independence and accused the SNP of misleading voters.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26818227

The reaction on Facebook should come as no surprise:

https://www.facebook.com/barrhead.travel
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

Not even Ed is offering free tuition fees, prescriptions and £6000 per person on roads.

Ed isnt offering to outcompete all his neighbours on corporation tax / airport charges etc.. either. Give the Scots a chance to play you off the park before burying them.
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

Ed isnt offering to outcompete all his neighbours on corporation tax / airport charges etc.. either. Give the Scots a chance to play you off the park before burying them.
    Nobody knows what Ed is offering - least of all Ed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

Nobody knows what Ed is offering - least of all Ed.
    I like how you instinctively think that rUK under Ed will outperform an independent Scotland though. You closet red, you.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

However, a Better Together spokesman said Mr Salmond was under pressure to spell out a "Plan B" on currency, and had "a bad habit of telling people in the rest of the UK what's in their best interests without going to the bother of asking them."

He added: "Recent polls have shown overwhelming opposition to a currency union if Scotland left the UK.

"There is a clear pattern emerging here. On one side you have the three UK parties saying a currency union won't happen and people in the rest of the UK supporting that. On the other side you have Alex Salmond saying they are all wrong and only he is right.

Clear enough?

That's a BT spokesperson. If you think that is a reliable source for Mr Salmond ...
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,969
    MikeK said:

isam said:
    Excellent report, received by post a week ago. Some good facts and figures which will probably see light in wednesday's debate.
    MikeK said:

isam said:
    For me the best analysis and forward plan for the UK exit comes not from UKIP but from Dr Richard North and the EUreferendum blog.

http://www.eureferendum.com/documents/BrexitPamphlet001.pdf
  • Options

BobaFett said:

You'll find in rUK they are 2:1 against......You keep moaning about the Better Together campaign - what do you want Labour to do about it - they, and their voters are the weakest link.....
    If you asked people if they were against Ribena changing their recipe they'd probably be 4-1 against. Doesn't mean they give a flying f--- about it.
  • Options
    If anyone believes the world's 14th richest country becoming independent would be a "disaster" they are a hyperbolic plum. Why haven't we learned our lesson? Make the case for the union. The scare stories don't work, they just make it worse.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

If you asked people if they were against Ribena changing their recipe they'd probably be 4-1 against. Doesn't mean they give a flying f--- about it.
    you only addressed half the points. What should Labour be doing to improve their frankly pathetic efforts to maintain the union.

• Options
    saddened said:

What should Labour be doing to improve their frankly pathetic efforts to maintain the union.

Physically restraining George Osborne from crossing the border.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,433
    edited March 2014
    Those UKIP numbers are concerning. Assuming I'm reading them correctly, if the Tories can only rely on 10% returning in the marginals (rather than 35% as I'd been working on) then they have a problem.

That said, there is evidence of a greater UKIP squeeze in Con/Lab battlegrounds, but there doesn't have to be much in it to make a big difference. If, as I suspect, the difference between the Tories winning 305 and 285 seats is a few 'too close to call' super/hyper-marginals, then UKIP getting a few hundred extra votes ( or not) in each could make all the difference.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2014

Those UKIP numbers are concerning. Assuming I'm reading them correctly, if the Tories can only rely on 10% returning in the marginals (rather than 35% as I'd been working on) then they have a problem.

That said, there is evidence of a greater UKIP squeeze in Con/Lab battlegrounds, but there doesn't have to be much in it to make a big difference. If, as I suspect, the difference between the Tories winning 305 and 285 seats is a few 'too close to call' super/hyper-marginals, then UKIP getting a few hundred extra votes ( or not) in each could make all the difference.

If 51% of UKIP supporters do not understand that their voting UKIP makes a Miliband government more likely, then they are probably too thick to be reachable.

It can make it equally likely per antifrank's point earlier, I suppose, if you live in a safe seat, but these strike me as seats where their votes are least likely to be cast.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Clear enough?

That's a BT spokesperson. If you think that is a reliable source for Mr Salmond ...
    LOL

They spent two weeks shrieking about Osbrowne's incompetent posturing and all for nothing.

Remember the PB golden rule.

The PB tories are always wrong. The PB tories never learn.

:)
  • Options

If 51% of UKIP supporters do not understand that their voting UKIP makes a Miliband government more likely, then they are probably too thick to be reachable.
    And if not too thick then probably too stubborn to respond to messaging like this!
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Rubbish, rUK voters used to be evenly split - they've shifted......as usual you have nothing constructive to offer....which is what you accuse Better Together of......

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    @BobaFett

on your four marginals, probablistic UNS theory says the Tories should expect to hold the following number of seats for various Labour leads (+ve is a Labour national lead)

10 0.1
    9 0.2
    8 0.2
    7 0.3
    6 0.4
    5 0.5
    4 0.6
    3 0.7
    2 0.9
    1 1.0
    0 1.2
    -1 1.4
    -2 1.6
    -3 1.8
    -4 2.0
    -5 2.3
    -6 2.5
    -7 2.7
    -8 2.9
    -9 3.0
    -10 3.2
  • Options
    @Carlotta

I have already told you. Kick out the Tories, make Ozzy and Cam promise not to go within 100 miles of the Tweed and get Labour's Scottish mafia up there ASAP.

Meanwhile find the Tory idiot who leaked the currency story to the press and force him to listen to George Galloway's violin recital of La Traviata for 48 hours straight.
  • Options
    edited March 2014

It can make it equally likely per antifrank's point earlier, I suppose, if you live in a safe seat, but these strike me as seats where their votes are least likely to be cast.
    Jesus when will people understand?

UKIP voters see Miliband and Cameron as left leaning, EU loving, progressives and it doesn't really matter which one of them it is that is saying NO to leaving the EU, NO to reinstating Grammar schools, YES to mass immigration etc etc

.. and as for the old chesnut of of UKIP voters voting for Cameron so he can do everything in his power to stop us leaving, even if he did grant a referendum, its like asking Doreen Lawrence to vote for the BNP because they are promising to put up a black candidate for Mayor of London if they win a majority, and giving her stick when she says "naff off".. people do have principles, we are not all political strategists/spinners
  • Options
    Surely 'Vote Farage get little Ed' is a foolproof master strategy from the chumocracy?
    It's not as if that kind of desperate posturing could ever be laughed at afterwards.

Vote Clegg and you'll get Gordon Brown: As Lib Dems lead polls, Cameron warns Labour could be the winner

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/election/article-1267115/General-Election-2010-Vote-Nick-Clegg-Gordon-Brown-say-Tories.html

How did that turn out again?

*chuckles*
  • Options
    Neil said:

saddened said:

What should Labour be doing to improve their frankly pathetic efforts to maintain the union.

yes, because his statement about currency union really boosted the yes campaign.

• Options

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Rubbish, rUK voters used to be evenly split - they've shifted......as usual you have nothing constructive to offer....which is what you accuse Better Together of......

While your Ribena stats are interesting you must realise that a shift does not equal salience.

I suspect most of the public don't even know what a currency union is.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

If anyone believes the world's 14th richest country becoming independent would be a "disaster" they are a hyperbolic plum. Why haven't we learned our lesson? Make the case for the union. The scare stories don't work, they just make it worse.

On what planet would Scotland be the "worlds 14th richest"?

It would tie for 44th with Portugal.......

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

You seem to be confusing UKIP supporters, with Con>UKIP switchers.
  • Options
    saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

yes, because his statement about currency union really boosted the yes campaign.

You've been following the polling, I see.
  • Options
    Neil said:

saddened said:

:) very droll
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    BobaFett said:

@Carlotta

I have already told you. Kick out the Tories, make Ozzy and Cam promise not to go within 100 miles of the Tweed and get Labour's Scottish mafia up there ASAP.

Meanwhile find the Tory idiot who leaked the currency story to the press and force him to listen to George Galloway's violin recital of La Traviata for 48 hours straight.

So when is Ed going to do that? And I'd sack the minister responsible.

• Options
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Keep in mind one of the scottish tory surgers warned us all of the 'terrible backlash' from the voter and the press because of boundary changes getting booted.

Sooner or later...

Probably..

• Options

My experience of most UKIP supporters is that they simply don't care. They think it makes no difference if Miliband or Cameron wins as they are 'both the same'.

I wouldn't go that far - and haven't made the jump that, say, Sean Fear has - but I don't think Cameron has delivered very much 'Conservative' for his supporters. In some respects, particularly in legislation, public culture and socio-cultural matters, he's extended/built upon New Labour's world view.

What would keep me (just) in the Conservative camp in a marginal is action on the deficit, education/welfare reform and the immigration cap. I don't expect the EU negotiations to amount to much, but this is at least making me think about benefits here too.

PS. Love the username!
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

Keep in mind one of the scottish tory surgers warned us all of the 'terrible backlash' from the voter and the press because of boundary changes getting booted.

Sooner or later...

Probably..

Indeed. Another major issue that was the talk of the town down at Sainsbury's cheese counter.

Hmm.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

@Carlotta

In case you have forgotten the Tories are in power and Dave is PM.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

I think you're mistakenly reading from the latest IRB rankings.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    BobaFett said:

BobaFett said:

@Carlotta

In case you have forgotten the Tories are in power and Dave is PM.
    you're the one advocating he keeps away and Labour ride to the rescue...Not me!

• Options
    Neil said:

BobaFett said:

UN 2012.......in any case it's a heck of a lot closer to 44 than 14..,,

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,370
    edited March 2014
    BobaFett said:

I agree.

No one will give a toss whether Scotland has a currency union.

Unfortunately for the Scottish people who don't give a toss whether Scotland has a currency union, it might come as quite a shock to them when they discover that a currency union is an effective loss of sovereignty. And to the Auld Enemy at that.

If of course as you say any of them can ever be bothered to find out.

ASalmond couldn't care less: Scotland will be independent at that point.
  • Options
    Neil said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

I'm hoping for a yes vote. Sadly I think no will win. Either way I'm on a winner as watching Malcolm go in to meltdown if it's no would only be bettered by watching him go into meltdown following no currency union in the event of a yes.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited March 2014
    SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Darling, for all his faults, has it right here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10733980/Scottish-independence-give-English-a-vote-on-sharing-currency.html

Now that stupid tosser ****** ******** in the Coalition has sowed doubt about currency union, the Better Together team need a fallback: all 3 coalition parties should confirm that they do not want a currency union, in their minds it will never happen, but should circumstances arise where it is conceivable - they would first ask permission of the rUK electorate in a referendum.

That adds more doubt to the situation: English, Welsh and Ulster voters will be given a say on the rUK's fiscal settlement with Scotland. Indeed it is hard to believe any rUK government would go into a formal currency union with a foreign country WITHOUT asking the people in a referendum, first.

And the Nats can hardly complain about there being too many referendums. Of course voters in rUK would almost certainly say NO.

The unionists need to settle on this as their position, ASAP.

I always thought, from a tactical point of view, the UK politicians saying "we'd have to have a referendum on whether Scotland keeps the pound" would've been a much shrewder move than what they actually did. It would've planted doubt in voters' minds while not looking like petty blackmail in the way their joint "ruling out" did.

I think even most pro-independence Scottish people would accept that it would be reasonable to ask the rest of the UK if they were OK with a currency union would be reasonable. (I personally wouldn't have any problem with it.)
  • Options
    saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

I'm hoping for a yes vote. Sadly I think no will win. Either way I'm on a winner as watching Malcolm go in to meltdown if it's no would only be bettered by watching him go into meltdown following no currency union in the event of a yes.
    I wonder if he booked his September 19 holiday with Barrhead travel..

• Options
    "There’s a big expectation that by the time we get to GE2015 many of those ex-CON voters now saying UKIP will, when push comes to shove, return to the blue fold.

I buy into that."

Sure. Most people think so, but just how many don't return to the fold will make all the difference. Because there's no way all of them are going back. It certainly doesn't need to be a huge amount for the kippers to do far better than their 3.1% in 2010 and have tory MPs frightened and upset in many marginal seats.

Of course the master strategy from the chumocracy was that Cameron's Cast Iron referendum Pledge would sort out the kippers because a referendum pledge always sorts things out.

Oops!

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,050
    SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Darling, for all his faults, has it right here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10733980/Scottish-independence-give-English-a-vote-on-sharing-currency.html

Now that stupid tosser ****** ******** in the Coalition has sowed doubt about currency union, the Better Together team need a fallback: all 3 coalition parties should confirm that they do not want a currency union, in their minds it will never happen, but should circumstances arise where it is conceivable - they would first ask permission of the rUK electorate in a referendum.

And the Nats can hardly complain about there being too many referendums. Of course voters in rUK would almost certainly say NO.

The unionists need to settle on this as their position, ASAP.

Darling is a loser , it is too late now the genie is out of the bottle , everybody knows they are a bunch of liars and cannot even keep it under their hats till the vote is over. Scotland do not want a currency union with a bankrupt England , the arrogant unionists are being played.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited March 2014
    The Better Together team have repeatedly turned out to be a far more honest and reliable source of the legal position on a number of issues in the Indy Referendum than Alex Salmond. Right now, I wouldn't trust Salmond to tell me it was raining outside without checking for myself.
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Clear enough?

• Options
    AndyJS said:
    Andy , why do you think it is only SNP that will vote YES, that is an incredibly stupid and flawed argument. YES is for Scotland not the SNP and will attract voters across the whole spectrum. It is Labour or Ex labour votes that will win it for YES.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

You live in a dream world. We do not give a toss about rUK voters and any choice they may be given, they are irrelevant.
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

A sane voice in the wilderness
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Neil said:

TGOHF said:

BobaFett said:

Likely it would be bankrupt England, after whining about us being debt free.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Clear enough?

If it is anti Scotland and anti SNP , Carlotta is delighted
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Clear enough?

If it is anti Scotland and anti SNP , Carlotta is delighted
    Book your September 19 HoL with Barrhead Travel? :InnocentFace:
  • Options
    BobaFett said:

sadly they have no case or we would surely have heard it by now. Future in union is more poverty , more foodbanks , more pain, more nuclear missiles. That is all they have and it does not go down well.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

You live in a dream world. We do not give a toss about rUK voters and any choice they may be given, they are irrelevant.
    You don't give a toss about your neighbours ?

A strange beast this "civic nationalism".
  • Options
    O/T - has anyone read between the lines on Osborne's announcement today?

We will have rock-low interest rates for another 5 years if the Conservatives (coalition) is returned to power. Targetting "full employment" - rather than inflation - gives him an excuse to get the BoE to target an unemployment rate well below 7%, and therefore keep interest rates low for much longer. Also he's neutered the low savings issue politically with his 4% pensioner bonds and huge ISA allowances.

So, if you're looking to go for a 3 year+ fix anytime soon on your mortgage, and pay the extra interest to match, I'd think twice.

Unless you think Labour will win of course.
  • Options

BobaFett said:

Can you prove that
  • Options
    Hour long documentary on Ch4 now "Nigel Farage, Who Are You?"
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    isam said:

Sounds like it's being narrated in the style of 'Come Dine with Me'.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    On the previous post it would have been helpful to know what proportion of UKIP voters were voting for UKIP and what proportion were voting against other parties. My guess is 80% for UKIP rather than against other parties.
  • Options

Neil said:

BobaFett said:

UN 2012.......in any case it's a heck of a lot closer to 44 than 14..,,

Caught being economical once again, you never learn.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    malcolmg said:

BobaFett said:

sadly they have no case or we would surely have heard it by now. Future in union is more poverty , more foodbanks , more pain, more nuclear missiles. That is all they have and it does not go down well.
    Heres a positive case for the union:

Luckily for the Scottish people, they do not need to choose either option. Instead they have an exciting trump card up their sleeve:
     keep GBP as the working currency
     have debts denominated in GBP
     enjoy the all-in-cost of funding through gilts thanks to GBP being a liquid reserve currency and to its owner being a AAA-rated name
     benefit from the assurance that Scottish debts are underwritten by the rest of the UK (in exchange for which Scotland has to reciprocally underwrite the rest of the UK’s debts)
     continue to discharge a disproportionately high share of the UK public sector workload in exchange for money
     carry out a disproportionately high share of the UK pension and investment management workload also in exchange for money
     enjoy benefits in terms of public spending that derive from economic growth wherever it occurs within the UK

http://www.maltinpr.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Lyddon-Consulting-Services-Independent-Report-into-the-fiscal-implications-of-Scottish-Independence-.pdf
  • Options
    saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

There will be no currency union. We will be left debt free using the pound initially before going to our own currency or euro depending on circumstances at some later date. UK will have 5 years to get Trident out and will be happy to keep all the debt as part of the deal.

• Options
    Carola said:

isam said:

Im taping it, but cant get "Scooby Dooby Doo, Where Are You?" out of my head now!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

BobaFett said:

Can you prove that
    I can google. You should try it sometime....

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,312

BobaFett said:

Worse that that - 57th, between Iraq and Bangladesh:

'The latest figures we have for Scotland's GDP are for 2012, and including a share of UK offshore oil the figure is £145bn. This would put Scotland at about 57 in the UN's list of national GDP - between Iraq and Bangladesh.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-26614122
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    In the Survation polling we saw slightly different numbers across 5 constituencies.

In those polls 31% of all Ukip voters would vote Tory to stop Miliband, which would be pretty good as only 25% of the Ukip support in the constituencies came from people that voted Conservative in 2010.

46% of the those switching from Tory to Ukip said they would switch back to stop Miliband.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    isam said:

Carola said:

isam said:

Im taping it, but cant get "Scooby Dooby Doo, Where Are You?" out of my head now!
    Why Scooby Doo?
  • Options

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

He certainly did not , intelligent enough to book my own holidays. That prat has really put his foot into it by trying to browbeat his staff into voting NO. What a deadbeat and his data was incredibly dire , a 5 year old could prove it is mince. Using some Tory halfwits cretinous rants is par for the course for that type of unionist. How did the clown ever build a business, he must have had good staff as on the evidence he is not too bright.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

The Better Together team have repeatedly turned out to be a far more honest and reliable source of the legal position on a number of issues in the Indy Referendum than Alex Salmond. Right now, I wouldn't trust Salmond to tell me it was raining outside without checking for myself.

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

Clear enough?

Alice in Wonderland arrives
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Daily Mail - France's Socialist PM and entire government quit following electoral meltdown as Hollande set to hand top job to interior minister Manuel Valls

"France's Socialist Prime Minister resigned along with his entire government today following a local elections meltdown.

Jean-Marc Ayrault admitted that a vast swing to the right, including the extremist National Front, was down to him.

‘There is no getting away from it – this vote is a defeat for the government,’ said Mr Ayrault. ‘I take my part of the blame.’

He handed his resignation to President Francois Hollande, whose two years in power have seen him become the most unpopular head of state in recent French history.

All 38 of Mr Ayrault’s ministerial colleagues also quit ahead of a government reshuffle.

Mr Hollande is set to replace Mr Ayrault with Manuel Valls, the tough-talking Interior Minister who is fiercely anti-immigration."

• Options

malcolmg said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Yawn.

Back to Scotland:

Oh, but they do.......

You don't give a toss about your neighbours ?

A strange beast this "civic nationalism".
    Alan, the referendum is about Scotland , just as nobody cares about any other country during a UK election. It will be YES and life will go on as normal , most people will be unaffected , apart from the troughers in Westminster.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    malcolmg said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

Neil said:

saddened said:

He certainly did not , intelligent enough to book my own holidays. That prat has really put his foot into it by trying to browbeat his staff into voting NO. What a deadbeat and his data was incredibly dire , a 5 year old could prove it is mince. Using some Tory halfwits cretinous rants is par for the course for that type of unionist. How did the clown ever build a business, he must have had good staff as on the evidence he is not too bright.
    Tell you what malc if blokes who can create wealth and jobs are an embarassment to Scotland send them down here, we'd be delighted to have them.
This discussion has been closed.