Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the Number 10 tries to head off a rebellion on the immig

Comments

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Fake charity throws toys out of pram

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-25969766

"Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson has stepped down as an Oxfam ambassador after criticism of her support for Israeli company SodaStream.

The charity said the actress's role was incompatible with being an Oxfam global ambassador."
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    I appreciate that you summarise the current situation, but what I am suggesting is that we revise the situation. I have no problem of Spain controlling its own borders as it sees fit.

@RCS1000

Nighthawks 17 last night:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10605581/The-800000-people-living-in-Britain-with-little-or-no-English.html

If we want immigration to make us richer, then it seems very reasonable to choose those most likely to do so. Unskilled, non-English speakers are much less likely to be net contributors to the economy than highly qualified migrants with fluent English.

Unless you plan to have an open door, abolish the welfare state and have shanty towns like at Marble Arch, there will be a degree of selection. We can argue what the numbers and skills required should be, but the principle is the same whether we are looking for Latvian plumbers or Indian Engineers.

It's not. Latvian plumbers get in whether they speak English or not. Indian engineers do not. UKIP are right on this: you do not get to control your borders if you are an EU member state. We can debate all we like; nothing changes that simple fact. In the same way, Spain has to look after hundreds of thousands of British immigrants who speak no Spanish and make no net contribution to the Spanish economy.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Interesting and surprising that Labour voted (unsuccessfully) to prevent the bill reducing opportunities to appeal against deportation orders.

Labour will be desperately spinning government splits to prevent scrutiny of which way they have actually jumped on this...
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    Neil said:

I tend to agree on that point, but antifrank seemed to think it was about the question of how much (legal) immigration we should allow.

Wasnt that the point of another of the proposed amendments? (The one restricting immigration from Romania and Bulgaria?) The crazy thing about the amendment allowing the Government to make people stateless is that it isnt some crazy backbench amendment - it's a Government one. Supported by the Lib Dems! (On the grounds that it wont affect many people, you couldnt make this stuff up.)
    Believe it or not it looks like those few lib dems left that still care about such things have actually begun to notice and are curiously not best pleased with Clegg's latest ludicrous authoritarian stupidity.

It's not just the tories who are looking a shambles today. Clegg's stepped right in it. Yet again.
    But at least it's not yet more questions about Rennard I suppose. ;)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Free borders is the greatest weapon against poor behavior by governments. It is what allows people to escape tyranny and to build better lives.

So what if you face more competition in the workplace? Why is that my concern? And why should that even be the concern of the state?

That's a curious juxtaposition. You might equally ask why assisting foreigners to escape tyranny and to build better lives should be your concern. Certainly it's not obvious why it should be a concern of the (British) state, rather than the effects of competition in the workplace on British citizens (assuming of course that such competition is deleterious, which is a separate point).
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014

I'm absolutely astounded that the Army have been brought in to help out flooded communities in Somerset. Admittedly, the Army has capabilities beyond us, such as bridging equipment, but this type of thing is tailor made for the UK Fire and Rescue Service. We have the equipment, we have the numbers, but above all we have the skills and motivation to get involved. Utilising the Army, whilst you've got hundreds of firefighters from all over the country itching to get involved makes me almost think the government were playing politics!

TFS

Just put the army in No 1 dress, line them up in ranks and get them to march to their bands as you do the hard work.

Coerce or bribe the bands into playing a few Naval sea shanties and it will relieve the burdens of labour and add to the jollity of the occasion for all.

It might sound like an expensive solution but once you take into account the boost to tourist revenues it should only work out at around £0.60 per person per day.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005
    TGOHF said:

"Hollywood actress Scarlett Johansson has stepped down as an Oxfam ambassador after criticism of her support for Israeli company SodaStream.

The charity said the actress's role was incompatible with being an Oxfam global ambassador."

I can think of worse things than working for a soft-drinks producer.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    After my eye operation I can see more clearly. Therefore I will now give my forecast for the number of UKIP seats that will be won in the 2015 GE.

UKIP will gain 35 seats.; up two from last month.

Now I must rest the old pupils. LOL
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Oxfam a "fake charity". The things you learn from PBTories eh.
    We are deep into PB Hodges territory when they are claiming Oxfam are a fake charity.
  • Options
    @foxinsoxuk - "I appreciate that you summarise the current situation, but what I am suggesting is that we revise the situation. I have no problem of Spain controlling its own borders as it sees fit."

So withdrawal from the EU. It's the only way that's going to happen. UKIP is right.
  • Options
    "Giving away your life savings to starve to death on the cold streets of London is not a rational thing to do."

It depends on how big your life savings are and when you live now, doesn't it?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,119
    Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Not saying this is the case for Oxfam, but there are problems with many organisations being called charities. For one thing, spending a fortune on lobbying governments is not exactly a charitable act. When the organisation gets a fortune from the governments it is lobbying, then you have to ask when the self-feeding circle will end.
  • Options
    Cameron gets bullied by his backbenchers. Cameron and his ministers see their arse and go deep into hiding when the vote comes.

PB Hodges reaction - Bad day for Labour.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Pulpstar said:

Mick_Pork said:

A complete shambles.

Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 25m

So almost 100 Tory Mps vote for proposal Home Sec warned against. PM relies on Lab & Lib Dems to defeat it
    Today is an amusing day at the HoC for sure

If MPs all toe the party line then it's a flock of sheep, if they don't it's a shambles.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,014

Hugh said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

What a complete nonsense from start to finish. We should be making immigration easier, not harder.

Absolutely. Those who want to curb immigration want to make us poorer.
    Those who support mass immigration seem to like the idea of making the rich richer and the poor poorer... then justifying it on an government GDP figure that means nothing to poor families
    There isn't a finite amount of work available. So more immigrants can be of overall benefit to everyone.

There will be losers from any social change (the increase in female participation in the workforce was bad news for less able men). That doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. It means that we have to look to help those who potentially lose out.
    Exactly right. Also we shouldn't forget that anti-immigration types always overstate the impact on low wages when they're doing their working class hero act.

In reality, the impact of immigration is negligible compared to other factors (the level of minimum wage, taxes and benefits, housing costs etc etc).

One study by University College London found the low-paid lost 0.7p an hour (compared with the £6.19 an hour minimum wage), while middle earners gained 1.5p and upper earners 2p. Calculations of the impact on average wages range from small increase to small decline, but amounts are negligible.

www.ft.com/cms/s/0/0d86e3aa-8bff-11e2-8fcf-00144feabdc0.html#axzz2ru0ZwGVd

I wish I were rich enough to be in favour of mass immigration
  • Options

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

We are deep into PB Hodges territory when they are claiming Oxfam are a fake charity.
    Oxfam are not half as fake as the RSPCA, compouter.

I only give to Donkey Sanctuaries these days.

It was seeing Michael Foot struggling with his walking stick at a Hampstead bus stop that caused me to change.
  • Options
    In footballing terms, today Cameron lost the dressing room. All bodes well for a smooth Tory campaign towards the next election.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    isam said:

The net contribution we're making to the exchequer is helping keep your tax bill down.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793

PB Hodges reaction - Bad day for Labour.

Labour votes against deportation of foreign crims - A Victory for Ed!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Oxfam accounts to March 2013:

Voluntary income £111.5m (including £11.2m from DFID which counts as voluntary)
    Total net trading income £22.5m
    Income from government, institutional donors and other public authorities £162.1m

Money spent on campaigning and advocacy £21.7m

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/get-involved/~/media/784640467B084C6EBD32D278A28D9FF1.ashx
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

3 executives at Oxfam are paid over £100k.

You keep putting your money in their tin though pootle.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Except that there are many other things more important than immigration that determine my vote, and UKIP fails badly on those. I think that mobility of labour is fine, mobility of the non-working not so.

Overall I favour remaining in the EU, but would want to see it significantly reformed. I am a LD (and rather appalled at Ashdowns supine behaviour over the Jesus and Mo cartoons on Newsnight last night)

@foxinsoxuk - "I appreciate that you summarise the current situation, but what I am suggesting is that we revise the situation. I have no problem of Spain controlling its own borders as it sees fit."

So withdrawal from the EU. It's the only way that's going to happen. UKIP is right.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

You think everyone who works for a charity should be a volunteer? Even if the charity is so large that it cant possibly be run on a voluntary basis?
  • Options
    The worrying thing about that website (for 'yes' supporters) is that Better Together doesnt appear to have any campaigning activity planned for the weekend after next (and they seem to be focussed on leafleting which has its place but isnt exactly targeted).
  • Options
    Neil said:

TGOHF said:

You think everyone who works for a charity should be a volunteer? Even if the charity is so large that it cant possibly be run on a voluntary basis?
    Neil

If a charity gets too large, perhaps the Charities Commission should step in and split it up into smaller, more competitive units run by volunteers?

The world's poor and starving might stand a better chance of getting fed if there were a couple of 'Challengers' to Oxfam.

• Options
    So that is two bad days for Cameron in the HOC. Ah well, we always have the PB Hodges to imagine it was two days of success.
  • Options
    An uncharitable evaluation of SNP policy might conclude the nationalists want to rip [the UK] all up and then sellotape everything together again.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/alex-massie/2014/01/the-battle-for-threadneedle-street/
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Neil

If a charity gets too large, perhaps the Charities Commission should step in and split it up into smaller, more competitive units run by volunteers?

We should get the competition authorities to take the same approach to businesses, Avery. If it's too large to be run by a few volunteers giving up some evenings and weekends then break it up!
  • Options

So that is two bad days for Cameron in the HOC. Ah well, we always have the PB Hodges to imagine it was two days of success.

Not to forget his torrid time in the polls......
  • Options
    Hardman on "Labour FOR Foreign Crims"

To summarise, the opposition is voting down something because they’ve been told it’s illegal by a government that’s not voting it down. Which makes sense.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2014/01/breaking-labour-to-vote-against-raab-amendment/
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

What a complete nonsense from start to finish. We should be making immigration easier, not harder.

Those who support mass immigration seem to like the idea of making the rich richer and the poor poorer... then justifying it on an government GDP figure that means nothing to poor families
    There isn't a finite amount of work available. So more immigrants can be of overall benefit to everyone.

There will be losers from any social change (the increase in female participation in the workforce was bad news for less able men). That doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. It means that we have to look to help those who potentially lose out.
    Exactly right. Also we shouldn't forget that anti-immigration types always overstate the impact on low wages when they're doing their working class hero act.

In reality, the impact of immigration is negligible compared to other factors (the level of minimum wage, taxes and benefits, housing costs etc etc).

One study by University College London found the low-paid lost 0.7p an hour (compared with the £6.19 an hour minimum wage), while middle earners gained 1.5p and upper earners 2p. Calculations of the impact on average wages range from small increase to small decline, but amounts are negligible.

If you were genuinely concerned about the lower paid you'd be better arguing for a rise in the minimum wage. Or against nutty policies like, say, flat taxes or leaving the EU.

Instead, you obsess about a negligible impact on low wages caused by immigration.

Low wages and the plight of the low paid are a genuine concern for you and not just a smokescreen, aren't they?
    Yes because taking people on the minimum wage out of paying tax is such a regressive policy isn't it?

If you want yo tell all the sparks I knock about with that mass immigration of Eastern European labour has been good for their pay packet, all the best.

£150 a day down to £85 a day ain't so great, except for the bosses

Ah passive aggressive lefties, what a delight
  • Options
    As Fox says, the problem with the immigration debate is that it gets simplified into being either no immigration or completely open door.

The immigrants I have met are all hard working and I have no problems with them at all. The issues most people have are about a lack of control in the immigration system, in particular:

1) Being able to control the number of unskilled immigrants who come into the UK each year
    2) Making sure that people are not able to come over and claim benefits or council housing without paying in (if someone works for 5 years here then needs claim that is fair enough)
    3) Making sure the small minority of immigrants who come here and break the law can be deported
    4) Making sure that immigrants learn English (or Welsh) and integrate.

If you ask people in other countries, like the US or Canada they would not think these demands unreasonable. Yet with our EU membership we cannot do 1 and 2. No. 3 we occasionally manage but it can take 10 years (see Abu Qatada). 4 might be slightly improving with a cut back on translation services
  • Options

To summarise, the opposition is voting down something because they’ve been told it’s illegal by a government that’s not voting it down. Which makes sense.

You probably think it's Labour that comes out badly from that.
  • Options

I think we should close down Oxfam, sack all their workers and give whatever funds they have to pay off the debts of poor nations.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

AveryLP said:

Neil

We should get the competition authorities to take the same approach to businesses, Avery. If it's too large to be run by a few volunteers giving up some evenings and weekends then break it up!
    Neil

I am all in favour of big business seconding executives to charities in lieu of donations. A three to five year term would be sufficient.

That way a larger proportion of donor funds from the public would go towards supporting the charitable cause and charities would cease to have its management used as a parking place for failed politicians.

The efficiency and effectiveness of charity management would improve.

It would also prevent the massive waste of donor funds used in political lobbying.

Not that I object to political lobbying as an activity. I just believe it shouldn't benefit from the tax concessions properly given to mainstream charitable activity.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Only 3 people at Oxfam over £100k. This is a billion pound organisation !!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    taffys said:

I think we should close down Oxfam, sack all their workers and give whatever funds they have to pay off the debts of poor nations.

And your point?

• Options
    surbiton said:

TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Only 3 people at Oxfam over £100k. This is a billion pound organisation !!
    OK. £300m or so. The point remains.

• Options

As Fox says, the problem with the immigration debate is that it gets simplified into being either no immigration or completely open door.

The immigrants I have met are all hard working and I have no problems with them at all. The issues most people have are about a lack of control in the immigration system, in particular:

1) Being able to control the number of unskilled immigrants who come into the UK each year
    2) Making sure that people are not able to come over and claim benefits or council housing without paying in (if someone works for 5 years here then needs claim that is fair enough)
    3) Making sure the small minority of immigrants who come here and break the law can be deported

If you ask people in other countries, like the US or Canada they would not think these demands unreasonable. Yet with our EU membership we cannot do 1 and 2. No. 3 we occasionally manage but it can take 10 years (see Abu Qatada). 4 might be slightly improving with a cut back on translation services

On one extreme you have the BNP, wanting a ban on immigration, and repatriation

On the other extreme you have people like Tim, Hugh. Anti frank and Mike Smithson, who want open borders and encourage immigrants to come (as long as they aren't from Asia, America or Africa)

In the middle sit ukip, wanting controlled immigration
  • Options
    Neil said:

You probably think it's Labour that comes out badly from that.
    What I think and what the tabloids think of it may be two different matters.....

• Options
    taffys said:

I can understand why some rightwingers dont like trade unions. I get that you sometimes dont like trendy arts organisations too. But Oxfam?! Vilifying Oxfam? Sweet lord.
  • Options
    Neil said:

isam said:

The net contribution we're making to the exchequer is helping keep your tax bill down.
    What would be the deficit if there were no immigrants !

Answer: Significantly higher and many services would remain not done. The Brits are supremely capable of NOT wanting to do some types of work !
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    Ah, PB's favourite revolutionary communist. Somewhere on the Wirral a middle-aged man is shaking his fist at his computer screen.
  • Options
    "£150 a day down to £85 a day ain't so great, except for the bosses"

It's not only bosses who need sparks.
  • Options
    And your point?

My point is that all monies given to charities that purport to help the poor overseas should be given to the governments of those countries directly.

Lets cut out the (sometimes very well paid and highly politicised) Middlemen The Middlemen who are sitting on billions while they decide on a country's behalf whether a project is 'worth it' or not. The middlemen who are sitting on that money to guarantee their own salaries and pensions.

I read years ago that UK charities alone are sitting on GBP80bn.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,686
    Sean_F said:

Indeed, Mr. Isam. It would be interesting to compare the location of residence and work/salary of those who are so pro-immigration with those who are uncertain, and those who are very much against large scale migration.

The arguments over economics that emerge in debates over immigration, the EU, or Scottish independence are almost beside the point. The economic impact of increasing/reducing immigration, leaving/staying in the EU, voting Yes/No is frankly pretty marginal in the scheme of things. Regardless of the decisions that are made, the UK (or an independent Scotland) are and will remain wealthy countries,

What really motivate people one way or the other are social and cultural concerns, and identity.

Or "anti"-identity. I do wonder how much of the proponency of immigration by the likes of antifrank, Mike Smithson, rcs1000 etc is because they don't really like the people who want to restrict it, why they want to restrict, and the crude way in which (some) sometimes express their views on it. So, defining yourself against it, actually, becomes a great way of "anti"-identity: marking yourself out in polite society as an intelligent, 'progressive', broad-minded, open and tolerant person.

The trouble is it kills any real debate about a sensible balance. There are very few subjects you can't engage these excellent posters upon. Unfortunately, immigration is one of them. Europe is possibly another.

Any rational person ought to be able to soberly calculate that there's some merit to both sides of the argument. We need to focus on striking a reasonable balance - flexing immigration levels according to both economic and socio-cultural factors - but this dialogue is rarely present. Any fool should be able to work out that immigration isn't just about the money; we're talking about people of all things. Of course, I'd argue that we got that wrong over the last 15 years, and ~4 million+ net immigrants during that time is too many. Obviously, zero would be ridiculous too. There's a level that will both benefit the economy, and will be broadly accepted by society, even welcomed. But people have to be consulted, and genuinely feel consulted, confident its under control and periodically engaged on its sustainability.

We have a duty to acknowledge these concerns and have that dialogue. But both sides still tend to argue in a way that fails to listen and totally shuts out the other. I'd argue, unfortunately, that this is more pronounced on the pro-immigration side as the detestation of those who oppose immigration is so strong that it leads to a lack of any desire to even acknowledge, listen and understand the real concerns in the first place. And these people, unfortunately, dominate much of the mainstream media and (at least) two established Westminster parties.

And people wonder why voters are so disillusioned.
  • Options
    taffys said:

And your point?

My point is that all monies given to charities that purport to help the poor overseas should be given to the governments of those countries directly.

Lets cut out the (sometimes very well paid and highly politicised) Middlemen The Middlemen who are sitting on billions while they decide on a country's behalf whether a project is 'worth it' or not. The middlemen who are sitting on that money to guarantee their own salaries and pensions.

I read years ago that UK charities alone are sitting on GBP80bn.

"My point is that all monies given to charities that purport to help the poor overseas should be given to the governments of those countries directly."

You mean straight to the President's Swiss Bank account ? I mean Dubai account.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Neil said:

taffys said:

I can understand why some rightwingers dont like trade unions. I get that you sometimes dont like trendy arts organisations too. But Oxfam?! Vilifying Oxfam? Sweet lord.
    FWIW, we absolutely refuse to fund any charities that look to engage in political lobbying as a substantial part of their activities.

The problem is that they often end up seeing the 'engagement' as an objective in itself - and they often become divorced from the people that they are supposed to be helping.

There again, our mission is to identify and support for 'dynamic individuals and charities that are developing innovative solution to long-standing problems'. We want to encourage the risk takers in the charity sector, not the Oxfams and RSPCAs of the world.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,997
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

The worrying thing about that website (for 'yes' supporters) is that Better Together doesnt appear to have any campaigning activity planned for the weekend after next (and they seem to be focussed on leafleting which has its place but isnt exactly targeted).
    The issue is rather, for some, whether the advertised BT events happen at all or are just made up to the minimum (if at all) to look good in press releases - and perhaps a teeny suspicion that they are therefore effectively claiming a major Yes meeting as equivalent to 1 No person handing out leaflets for 10 mins to wet and tired commuters.

I keep an open mind, but the impression I have from my neck of the woods is that there may be more than a little truth in this suspicion - at least two substantial Yes meetings, one with Mr Canavan, versus nothing more than a few No leaflets on the local Labour party stand (as well as the raffle and much else).

. Fortunately, an empirical (though not without warning) check by independent (!) inspectors is under way today - and I look forward to the results.

http://wingsoverscotland.com/the-honesty-patrol/

The wider question here is to what extent the No Campaign can claim to be a truly grassroots one - and therefore what that might imply, bearing in mind the strength of the Labour and LD parties in Scotland, not to mention the Tories (still much stronger than Westminster implies, thanks to FPTP).

• Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Hugh said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

s

If you were genuinely concerned about the lower paid you'd be better arguing for a rise in the minimum wage. Or against nutty policies like, say, flat taxes or leaving the EU.

Instead, you obsess about a negligible impact on low wages caused by immigration.

Low wages and the plight of the low paid are a genuine concern for you and not just a smokescreen, aren't they?
    Yes because taking people on the minimum wage out of paying tax is such a regressive policy isn't it?

If you want yo tell all the sparks I knock about with that mass immigration of Eastern European labour has been good for their pay packet, all the best.

Oh Wolfie, you're such a trooper.

Fact is, immigration has negligible impact on low wages overall. So any Government or anyone genuinely concerned with the low paid should focus on those issues that DO have a huge impact, like the minimum wage, or taxes and benefits.

Probably why working class voters are many times more likely to support political parties like Labour or even the Tories than headcases like UKIP.

You're entitled to your view, we shall see what happens in the next year or two
  • Options

Yes, and I think it also needs to consider the overall numbers of immigrants who settle in the UK over a rolling 1-3-5 year timeframe as well.
  • Options

I'm absolutely astounded that the Army have been brought in to help out flooded communities in Somerset. Admittedly, the Army has capabilities beyond us, such as bridging equipment, but this type of thing is tailor made for the UK Fire and Rescue Service. We have the equipment, we have the numbers, but above all we have the skills and motivation to get involved. Utilising the Army, whilst you've got hundreds of firefighters from all over the country itching to get involved makes me almost think the government were playing politics!

Surely it depends on what they want to achieve? Sure, the fire service can help with pumping and rescuing people, but it could well be there's something more fundamental involved: for instance, temporarily breaking down flood barriers or as you say, bridging. Even the construction of new pumping stations larger than the temporary HVPs the fire service has available. Even transporting HVPs into rural areas along with fuel and supplies.

It makes sense to get the military down there to see what they can help with. I bet the respective fire services are there as well.
    Of course you're correct, Josias. I guess it's frustration creeping in.
    The unpalatable truth for me, is that the UK Fire and Rescue Service is vastly underutilised, and when Sky News are shouting "Army mobilised to flooding", during a time of industrial action, for us, its frustrating.
    Since the major terrorist attacks during this century, we've had a truckload of money shoved at National Resilience, and we have a superbly trained and equipped Service, that doesn't get used as much as it should. The government should just call it a national emergency, and mobilise UK USAR teams down there, with more boats, HPVs, hose layers and more importantly, experts ready and able to get involved. The army definitely has a role, but if you need experts in water rescue, pumping, even disaster relief, you need to be talking to Firefighter Smith, not Private Smith.
    I'm of the opinion that we should have a national Rescue Service, combining Fire, USAR, Ambulance, even Mines and Cave Rescue, Mountain Rescue, diving capability, maybe even Lifeboats. Instead we have a piecemeal approach.

• Options
    TGOHF said:
    I am sure she would also volunteer to fly an F16 and bomb the hell out of some children in Gaza !
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited January 2014
    isam said:

Hugh said:

Oh Wolfie, you're such a trooper.

Fact is, immigration has negligible impact on low wages overall. So any Government or anyone genuinely concerned with the low paid should focus on those issues that DO have a huge impact, like the minimum wage, or taxes and benefits.

Probably why working class voters are many times more likely to support political parties like Labour or even the Tories than headcases like UKIP.

"Fact is, immigration has negligible impact on low wages overall." - yeah, sod the minority who've been hit hard.

Worth comparing that view with the shrieks of indignation on the bedroom tax when a small minority of people were perceived as being harshly done by, despite the manifest fairness of the change in its totality.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Indeed, Mr. Isam. It would be interesting to compare the location of residence and work/salary of those who are so pro-immigration with those who are uncertain, and those who are very much against large scale migration.

the EU, voting Yes/No is frankly pretty marginal in the scheme of things. Regardless of the decisions that are made, the UK (or an independent Scotland) are and will remain wealthy countries,

What really motivate people one way or the other are social and cultural concerns, and identity.

Or "anti"-identity. I do wonder how much of the proponency of immigration by the likes of antifrank, Mike Smithson, rcs1000 etc is because they don't really like the people who want to restrict it, why they want to restrict, and the crude way in which (some) sometimes express their views on it. So, defining yourself against it, actually, becomes a great way of "anti"-identity: marking yourself out in polite society as an intelligent, 'progressive', broad-minded, open and tolerant person.

The trouble is it kills any real debate about a sensible balance. There are very few subjects you can't engage these excellent posters upon. Unfortunately, immigration is one of them. Europe is possibly another.

Any rational person ought to be able to soberly calculate that there's some merit to both sides of the argument. We need to focus on striking a reasonable balance - flexing immigration levels according to both economic and socio-cultural factors - but this dialogue is rarely present. Any fool should be able to work out that immigration isn't just about the money; we're talking about people of all things. Of course, I'd argue that we got that wrong over the last 15 years, and ~4 million+ net immigrants during that time is too many. Obviously, zero would be ridiculous too. There's a level that will both benefit the economy, and will be broadly accepted by society, even welcomed. But people have to be consulted, and genuinely feel consulted, confident its under control and periodically engaged on its sustainability.

We have a duty to acknowledge these concerns and have that dialogue. But both sides still tend to argue in a way that fails to listen and totally shuts out the other. I'd argue, unfortunately, that this is more pronounced on the pro-immigration side as the detestation of those who oppose immigration is so strong that it leads to a lack of any desire to even acknowledge, listen and understand the real concerns in the first place. And these people, unfortunately, dominate much of the mainstream media and (at least) two established Westminster parties.

Well said.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Hugh said:

Jesus this charity stuff is grim grim grim.

Get a grip PBTories! Step back , think about what you're saying, think where your once great party has ended up, what the noble Conservative politicians of the past would think about where you are on this!

Challenging the consensus of the metropolitan elite?
  • Options
    I am most entertained by parliamentary shambles, especially ones that cause upset for nice Mr Cameron.

However, let's not get carried away about the impact of said shambles on voting intentions which is precisely nowt. No one is going to read about this event and change their mind on who to vote for - indeed most punters won't know the issues the people or what happened

However, what it does is encourage the foaming dog fever wing of the pparliamentary Conservative Party (most of them) that Cameron doesn't get it, isn't I'd them or for them, and that like Tony Benn on Labour benches past they must save the party by destroying it electorally. What frootloop policies they try to impose at the next showdown and the next and the next - that's where we get the impact on voting as middle of the road punters come to the remarkable conclusion that Tories are bonkers.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

On the other extreme you have people like Tim, Hugh. Anti frank and Mike Smithson, who want open borders and encourage immigrants to come (as long as they aren't from Asia, America or Africa)

I'm entirely comfortable with immigrants coming from Asia, America and Africa. There are more immigrants from each of those regions than from Romania and Bulgaria put together, which makes the current hysteria even more baffling.
  • Options
    @Casino_Royale - We have a duty to acknowledge these concerns and have that dialogue. But both sides still tend to argue in a way that fails to listen and totally shuts out the other. I'd argue, unfortunately, that this is more pronounced on the pro-immigration side as the detestation of those who oppose immigration is so strong that it leads to a lack of any desire to even acknowledge, listen and understand the real concerns in the first place. And these people, unfortunately, dominate much of the mainstream media and (at least) two established Westminster parties.

A very good post. However, those who believe in high immigration have as many insults thrown at them as they throw themselves. They are accused of being sneering, metropolitan elitists who are cut off from reality, have no interest in ordinary people and hate/dislike and/or are embarrassed by this country. As far as I can see, such views - which you find expressed on here pretty regularly - are pretty hate-filled.

• Options
    Voodoo poll currently has 70% of people saying they would vote against Green party's proposed 4.75% council tax increase in Brighton if it gets put to them in a referendum. You can watch the 'no confidence' debate streamed live from the Hove town hall!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10958590.The_great_council_tax_debate__The_background/
  • Options
    philiph said:

Hugh said:

Get a grip PBTories! Step back , think about what you're saying, think where your once great party has ended up, what the noble Conservative politicians of the past would think about where you are on this!

Oxfam has very broad popular support for what it does, it's not a creature of the metropolitan elite.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Anorak said:

Worth comparing that view with the shrieks of indignation on the bedroom tax when a small minority of people were perceived as being harshly done by, despite the manifest fairness of the change in its totality.

What a fantastic point, Mr Bump !
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

I'm entirely comfortable with immigrants coming from Asia, America and Africa. There are more immigrants from each of those regions than from Romania and Bulgaria put together, which makes the current hysteria even more baffling.
    More immigrants from two continents and as America than from Bulgaria and Romania??? Get out of town!

Texting this sitting on a 205 bus outsideDirty Dicks sitting next to a woman in a Niqab!
  • Options
    Neil said:

Voodoo poll currently has 70% of people saying they would vote against Green party's proposed 4.75% council tax increase in Brighton if it gets put to them in a referendum. You can watch the 'no confidence' debate streamed live from the Hove town hall!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/10958590.The_great_council_tax_debate__The_background/

Bye bye, Caroline?
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

More immigrants from two continents and as America than from Bulgaria and Romania??? Get out of town!

Texting this sitting on a 205 bus outsideDirty Dicks sitting next to a woman in a Niqab!
    You're within 400 yards of me.

The same point can be made on the level of countries. There are near enough as many immigrants from Ghana as from Romania. Ghana is not significantly more populous than Romania.
  • Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Your wife??? :)
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

philiph said:

Hugh said:

Oxfam has very broad popular support for what it does, it's not a creature of the metropolitan elite.
    For what people think it does.

How effective, efficient or relevant to today are all legitimate points of discussion and criticism.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Wilberforce and Shaftsbury weren't fans of big organisations with fat expense accounts.

If you want to see Tory charity in action come to our (free) exhibition

http://www.twotempleplace.org/exhibitions/current-exhibition
  • Options

@Casino_Royale - We have a duty to acknowledge these concerns and have that dialogue. But both sides still tend to argue in a way that fails to listen and totally shuts out the other. I'd argue, unfortunately, that this is more pronounced on the pro-immigration side as the detestation of those who oppose immigration is so strong that it leads to a lack of any desire to even acknowledge, listen and understand the real concerns in the first place. And these people, unfortunately, dominate much of the mainstream media and (at least) two established Westminster parties.

A very good post. However, those who believe in high immigration have as many insults thrown at them as they throw themselves. They are accused of being sneering, metropolitan elitists who are cut off from reality, have no interest in ordinary people and hate/dislike and/or are embarrassed by this country. As far as I can see, such views - which you find expressed on here pretty regularly - are pretty hate-filled.

@SouthamObserver - thanks. And you have a point. I don't excuse that at all. I only add that the emotional aspect of it may be born out of their frustration at their own powerlessness. But, even so, such behaviour probably only serves reinforce the beliefs of those minded to favour open-immigration.

Perhaps the controlled-immigration side need to show who's the bigger man by, not only making the first move, but also never rising to provocation?
  • Options
    antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

The same point can be made on the level of countries. There are near enough as many immigrants from Ghana as from Romania. Ghana is not significantly more populous than Romania.
    I'm sure, it just surprises me that pro eu immigration people don't complain about the rules imposed on other foreigners. Why discriminate?

At Aldgate now, our moment has passed!
  • Options
    philiph said:

Neil said:

philiph said:

Hugh said:

For what people think it does.

How effective, efficient out relevant to today are all legitimate points of discussion and criticism.
    I would draw the line at calling it a "fake charity" myself.
  • Options
    isam said:

I'm sure, it just surprises me that pro eu immigration people don't complain about the rules imposed on other foreigners.

Lots of us do.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Neil said:

Bye bye, Caroline?
    I dont think so but it's probably one of the liveliest constituency betting markets open at this stage (surely the only one where the favourite has changed already).
  • Options

@SouthamObserver - thanks. And you have a point. I don't excuse that at all. I only add that the emotional aspect of it may be born out of their frustration at their own powerlessness. But, even so, such behaviour probably only serves reinforce the beliefs of those minded to favour open-immigration.

Perhaps the controlled-immigration side need to show who's the bigger man by, not only making the first move, but also never rising to provocation?

It's something people feel strongly about. But when you have two sides throwing insults at each other, and making false claims about each other, you are never going to get a meaningful conversation.

• Options
    GaiusGaius Posts: 227

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Accoding to Oxfams annual report only 35% of their income is freely given donations from the general public whilst 43% comes from various govt agencies doling out taxpayers money like a drunken sailor.

So yes, Oxfam is a fake charity.

• Options
    isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

I'm sure, it just surprises me that pro eu immigration people don't complain about the rules imposed on other foreigners. Why discriminate?

At Aldgate now, our moment has passed!
    The rules on non-EU immigrants are pretty arbitrary. But given that it's hard enough to maintain the freedom of movement within the EU that has served us so well, I'll stick to defending that first before going on to help more Ghanaians come to Britain.
  • Options
    Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Accoding to Oxfams annual report only 35% of their income is freely given donations from the general public whilst 43% comes from various govt agencies doling out taxpayers money like a drunken sailor.

Yes, the fact that DFID gave Oxfam money to respond to a cholera epidemic in Sierra Leone is nothing short of scandalous.
  • Options
    Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

I have never seen a drunken sailor dole out taxpayers' cash. It must be quite a sight.

If it's a fake charity, presumably it can be shut down and all it will take is for someone to begin the process.

• Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

The state giving money to outside organisations rather than fulfilling the roles itself? How right wing.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

This whole debate illustrates just how much sovereignty we have ceded to Brussels.

Agree.
  • Options

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

I have never seen a drunken sailor dole out taxpayers' cash. It must be quite a sight.

If it's a fake charity, presumably it can be shut down and all it will take is for someone to begin the process.

We could write a draft complaint to the Charity Commission and invite pbc-ers to sign up. Under their real names.
  • Options

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Its amazing what some of these drunken sailors can get up to.

• Options
    edited January 2014

-------------

You only need look at @hugh s posts to me and my responses, on this thread to see an example of not reacting to provocation, name calling and passive aggressive insinuations of racism

At least the old Tim just used to say it outright!
  • Options

isam said:

antifrank said:

isam said:

Your wife??? :)
    No such luck
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @beckymbarrow: UK workers suffer the 'biggest fall' in real wages (adjusted for inflation) in G7, says @ONS. They have been 'falling markedly' since 2007.

Which side can spin this first?
  • Options
    ''You mean straight to the President's Swiss Bank account ? I mean Dubai account.''

Yeh typical left wing neo colonialist, patronising (and possibly racist) claptrap.

Those dear fuzzy wuzzies can't manage their own money doncha know?? it's much better when we spend it for them, for the time being.

'Course, we never have corruption in Islington.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Yes, the fact that DFID gave Oxfam money to respond to a cholera epidemic in Sierra Leone is nothing short of scandalous.
    Quite so.

Clearly, only a third of Oxfams income is freely given benevolence or generousity towards others.

The largest part of their income comes from enforced extraction under threat of force.

Hence Oxfam are not a real charity but a fake charity.

• Options
    isam - yes, and we must continue to do that if we want the more dismissive/aggressive open-immigration proponents to be eventually be recognised for what they are when they base their arguments on the partial, selective (and occasionally exaggerated) use of facts in just one-dimension, as they (regrettably) so often do now.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

LOL!

Am I right in saying that David Cameron reads PB? I remember seeing it sometime somewhere?

If he reads this thread, and after today in Parliament, he'll be shaking his head in dismay at the wretched state of much of the Party he leads, reaching for a stiff drink...
    I hope you are not implying that I'm a supporter or memeber of the conservative party.

Withdraw your scurrilous insult or I shall demand satisfaction!!!

• Options
    Gaius said:

Neil said:

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

Quite so.

Clearly, only a third of Oxfams income is freely given benevolence or generousity towards others.

The largest part of their income comes from enforced extraction under threat of force.

Hence Oxfam are not a real charity but a fake charity.

Just because an organisation gets involved in service provision (presumably only where its own trustees and the contracting authority have judged that it's consistent with its charitable aims and value for money) doesnt means its charitable role is nullified. Clearly the Charity Commission doesnt think so anyway so your accusation of 'fake charity' would seem to be wide of the mark.
  • Options
    We could write a draft complaint to the Charity Commission and invite pbc-ers to sign up. Under their real names.

I have experience of working for a volunteer charity (raising money for a school for kids with very special needs).

The local rotarians gave us two grand no questions asked. All we ever got from big professional charities was a bunch of forms to fill in.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,099
    isam: I am not in favour of high levels of immigration, or in favour of low levels of immigration. I am in favour of letting people decide where they want to live, whether it is on this island, or someplace else
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Hugh said:

Gaius said:

Hugh said:

TGOHF said:

LOL!

Am I right in saying that David Cameron reads PB? I remember seeing it sometime somewhere?

Yes he does. He's apparently devastated that he didn't play his political cards correctly and ended up his career as PM, rather than an anonymous expert on PB. I'm not sure he'll ever come to terms with his failure.
  • Options
    taffys said:

I have experience of working for a volunteer charity (raising money for a school for kids with very special needs).

The local rotarians gave us two grand no questions asked. All we ever got from big professional charities was a bunch of forms to fill in.

Have sent you a PM.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

isam: I am not in favour of high levels of immigration, or in favour of low levels of immigration. I am in favour of letting people decide where they want to live, whether it is on this island, or someplace else

Again (I think for the third time Robert) I have to ask if you believe that companies that demand we allow immigrants in so they can have cheaper labour and improve their profit margins, should be held responsible for the entire cost of those immigrants if they then lay them off. It seems only fair that those who want to benefit from mass migration should also should the associated costs.
  • Options
    OT. Jon Snow is a tosser.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,119
    Charles said:

Hugh said:

Wilberforce and Shaftsbury weren't fans of big organisations with fat expense accounts.

If you want to see Tory charity in action come to our (free) exhibition

http://www.twotempleplace.org/exhibitions/current-exhibition
    Charles, if the stars align then we'll be there on Saturday or Sunday. It looks just our sort of thing.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

OT. Jon Snow is a tosser.

James Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 8 mins
    'Who makes you the arbiter of what the average voter thinks?' Dom Raab giving some to @jonsnowC4

This discussion has been closed.