Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The battle over Labour’s planned 50 percent tax rate: Day 3

Comments

• Options
    Re the 10pm Comres - it'd better be more than a marmalade dropper....
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    There are three reasons for not liking the 50% tax rate:

1. It is inefficient. Tax policy should be about raising maximum revenues, not about making the country 'fairer'.

2. It causes people to act differently to avoid it. This is particularly true if people believe the tax will only last a short time, and therefore will avoid paying money out of companies to save tax. Longer-term, people will develop all kinds of systems to avoid paying tax - if the tax level is set at such a level that avoidance becomes worthwhile. So company owners will sell their stakes to OffShore Company (Bermuda), so that profits pile-up off-shore rather than on-shore.

3. It can have long-term effects on people's willingness to invest in a country. Income tax is a tax on work. If you tax cigarettes, you get less smoking. If you tax petrol, you get less driving. And the more you tax work, the less will be done. Obviously, there is a balance, but once (after employers' and employees' NI) you start taking almost 60%, then 'work' in this country becomes increasingly expensive.

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited January 2014
    rcs1000 said:

There are three reasons for not liking the 50% tax rate:

1. It is inefficient. Tax policy should be about raising maximum revenues, not about making the country 'fairer'.

2. It causes people to act differently to avoid it. This is particularly true if people believe the tax will only last a short time, and therefore will avoid paying money out of companies to save tax. Longer-term, people will develop all kinds of systems to avoid paying tax - if the tax level is set at such a level that avoidance becomes worthwhile. So company owners will sell their stakes to OffShore Company (Bermuda), so that profits pile-up off-shore rather than on-shore.

3. It can have long-term effects on people's willingness to invest in a country. Income tax is a tax on work. If you tax cigarettes, you get less smoking. If you tax petrol, you get less driving. And the more you tax work, the less will be done. Obviously, there is a balance, but once (after employers' and employees' NI) you start taking almost 60%, then 'work' in this country becomes increasingly expensive.

Hear Hear. Well said.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

Re the 10pm Comres - it'd better be more than a marmalade dropper....

Don't! Mention! Marmalade!

You'll get us into trouble.

• Options
    @JohnRentoul: IFS says @edballsmp's figs on 50p are a "misunderstanding" http://t.co/EIeDHWTlSp

Bloody Tories...
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    There is a big difference between 45% and 50%. 45% is the same rate as China, Germany and Australia, 50% or more is the same rate as Cuba and exceeded or matched only by Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands and France (under Hollande) and Spain (because of austerity)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Scott_P said:

@JohnRentoul: IFS says @edballsmp's figs on 50p are a "misunderstanding" http://t.co/EIeDHWTlSp

Bloody Tories...

C4 Facthcheck confirms Ed Balls should resign or be sacked for incompetence or deliberate misleading then.

No, hang on a minute, he's doing fine....

The verdict
    It’s not just business leaders who don’t like Labour’s latest idea. The IFS is broadly on the side of the government on this one, although all economists stress the deep uncertainty which underlies this educated guesswork.

The think tank has also put a hole in Labour’s theory that more recent numbers suggest an increased rake for the taxman in the 50p years. Mr Phillips diplomatically puts this down to a “misunderstanding” of the research.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

'So I had to say what I think, which is that it would be better for the country if David Cameron were to continue as Prime Minister next year.' - John Rentoul

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/01/blairite-openly-endorses-cameron.html
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Charles

I was interested in your accusation that I make up my mind before entering a discussion.

Do you make the same charge against Avery ?

If I've misrepresented your position, I apologise: it is only my impression.

The sense I have got is that you have decided that Osborne and Cameron are bad'uns and therefore everything they do is tainted rather than looking at specific topics.

Avery - possibly. I don't really pay attention to his non-economics posts though (and I do skip over the yellow boxes). On economics he is clearly a fellow traveler with the Boy, so whether that is prejudging the situation or whether its just agreeing with him is more difficult to call.
  • Options
    isam said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

'So I had to say what I think, which is that it would be better for the country if David Cameron were to continue as Prime Minister next year.' - John Rentoul

http://hitchensblog.mailonsunday.co.uk/2014/01/blairite-openly-endorses-cameron.html
    You appear to have played the man off-the-ball, read the link.
  • Options

Charles said:

Neil said:

I am paying tax at an effective rate of 58% thanks to 2 kids child benefits to repay.

Welcome back Bobajob.
    Don't know who Bobajob is. The 58% figure comes from the IFS.
    A former (lamented) pposter who used to whinge about child benefit withdrawal and high marginal tax rates. Without stopping to reflect that he earned substantially more than the vast majority of people in the UK.
    With my salary I am in a very privileged position. I know that. But there is a basic illogic about the Tories position on this. 50% tax for their donors and patrons is the End Of The World. 57% tax for me on a third of their salary is only fair as my wife is a scrounger for taking Child Benefit as her sole income.

You want to know why the polls show so many Tory voters supporting a 50% tax rate? How many Tory voters like me can't believe their party thinks its OK to tax them hard but to insist 7% less tax on £100k more salary is deeply wrong. This disparity of policies is patently absurd and if PB Tories wiped the froth from their mouths and actually thought this one through for a minute they'd understand too.

Taxing me and 640,000 other likely Tory voters at 51%/58%/65%/71% depending on the number of kids, yet defending 45% for the same people who donate hundreds of thousands to party coffers is stupid politics. Out of touch, unfair, for the rich opposed to the middle class - call it what you want. Then you wonder how they failed to win the last election and look set to lose the next one too.
    As I've said before I am not a fan of how the CB reforms have been structured. If high marginal rates are such a bad thing when you get income support withdrawal, then they are also a bad thing at CB withdrawal.

I generally stick to my philosophy that - regardless of the level of income - it is a bad thing if the government is taking more than half of someone extra earnings from an extra hour of work. There's no real rationale behind that specific number, but it just feels greedy.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

Rentoul is a soft leftish Tory, I'd say.

Unlike, say, diehard Tories like Dan Hodges...
    Erm you too. Yellow card for you both. Read the link.
  • Options

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

John Rentoul tweeting fact check?
  • Options
    @Scrapheap

God knows what will happen on Wednesday.

But I've backed Spurs to win (@ 14/5 with bet365) and I've also backed City to score 4 or more goals @ 7/1 with William Hill

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/tottenham-v-man-city/total-away-goals
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

He's only the messenger, no need to take him out.
  • Options
    Charles said:

I generally stick to my philosophy that - regardless of the level of income - it is a bad thing if the government is taking more than half of someone extra earnings from an extra hour of work. There's no real rationale behind that specific number, but it just feels greedy.

My wife, who is generally a lot more left wing than me, is of exactly the same mind. Her view is that marginal tax rates should never exceed 50%.

• Options

@Scrapheap

God knows what will happen on Wednesday.

But I've backed Spurs to win (@ 14/5 with bet365) and I've also backed City to score 4 or more goals @ 7/1 with William Hill

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/tottenham-v-man-city/total-away-goals

I agree - could be another horrible demolition with us being stuffed or a thrilling draw. In no scenario do I see us winning tho would help if Negredo is still out.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

Scott_P said:

Bloody Tories...

Cameroons to be precise

He's only the messenger, no need to take him out.
    Oh @ScottP was ironically calling fact check Bloody Tories, not Rentoul?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

My wife, who is generally a lot more left wing than me, is of exactly the same mind. Her view is that marginal tax rates should never exceed 50%.

Admirable lady!
  • Options
    Of course Rentoul supports Cameron, the Coalition is a Blairite government in all but name, opposed by the Brownite Miliband and Balls-led Labour Party on the one side and the Thatcherite Farage and UKIP on the other!
  • Options
    Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

They already do, thanks to David Cameron and George Osborne.
    Muppet - it was your fruitcakes who gave us 62% marginal rates of tax which is still a table topper unless you've got a bundle of kids....
  • Options
    Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

And, under Blair and Brown, they were often above 100% four people coming off benefits at the low end of the wage scale. What's your point?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Exactly ! Ask those whose income is betwwen £50k and £60k and in receipt of child benefit. What is their marginal rate of tax ? Close to 70%.
  • Options
    O/T

Our latest exhibition opens this week (until April). Free entry - highly recommended.

Lots of fun things to come and see: dodo skeletons, inuit art, Darwin's egg, a telescope that has orbited the earth, etc. Plus our rather modest London pad ;-)

http://www.twotempleplace.org/exhibitions/cornwall-exhibition/
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    surbiton said:

Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Exactly ! Ask those whose income is betwwen £50k and £60k and in receipt of child benefit. What is their marginal rate of tax ? Close to 70%.
    Not this again.................................................... this explains the marginal rates based on 1, 2, 3 or 4 children...

http://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/6527

If you can get your parents or grandparents or even you to pay in to a pension for the person affected, then it's a great tax relief as you get the child ben back too on each £ you get closer to £50k from £60k adjusted earnings!

• Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited January 2014

A 50% tax sounds about right to me. Us little folk are getting squeezed, seems only fair to me that the rich get a bit of grief too. After all, we are all in it together, ain't we?

Even if it doesn't raise anything?
    That's the thing, isn't it? It's all politics, as no ones seems to know, do they? As someone said below, 45 or 50% is neither here nor there, its all about how it looks.
    Mr TFS,I usually agree with most things you post but on the 50 percent tax rate,I just think when it got cut to 45,it sent a message round the world,Britain is open for business and going back would send a negative message.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

There is a big difference between 45% and 50%. 45% is the same rate as China, Germany and Australia, 50% or more is the same rate as Cuba and exceeded or matched only by Sweden, Denmark, Austria, Belgium, the Netherlands and France (under Hollande) and Spain (because of austerity)

Countries scoring high on competitiveness: You will find Sweden, Denmark high on that list.

• Options
    edited January 2014

A 50% tax sounds about right to me. Us little folk are getting squeezed, seems only fair to me that the rich get a bit of grief too. After all, we are all in it together, ain't we?

Even if it doesn't raise anything?
    That's the thing, isn't it? It's all politics, as no ones seems to know, do they? As someone said below, 45 or 50% is neither here nor there, its all about how it looks.
    Mr TFS,I usually agree with most things you post but on the 50 percent tax rate,I just think when it got cut to 45,it sent a message round the world,Britain is open for business and going back would send a negative message.
    Only a hamfisted Brownite would want to follow the Hollande-model of anti-business at the same time as the man himself backtracks over the channel.

French unemployment at record high
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25922231#

French unemployment has hit a record high with more than 3.3 million people now registered as out of work.

In December, 10,200 more people were listed as jobless, breaking President Francois Hollande's promise joblessness would fall by the year end.

The French unemployment rate is now 11.1%. It went up by 5.7% in 2013, and rose 0.3% in December.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

Another Labour government being elected will send that message no matter what the top rate of income tax is.

• Options
    ComRes must be a Conservative lead looking at other online forums/sources.

We should also get YouGov so that will tell us whether it's a rogue or a trend we should be looking out for.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

I was interested in your accusation that I make up my mind before entering a discussion.

If I've misrepresented your position, I apologise: it is only my impression.

The sense I have got is that you have decided that Osborne and Cameron are bad'uns and therefore everything they do is tainted rather than looking at specific topics.

I'm willing to give fair praise where I think its due. For example I applaud both the rises in the VAT rate and tax threshold. While in other areas some good work is being done in both education and social security.

My general grievance is that I see no difference between Blair/Brown and Cameron/Osborne. Cameron, as in his own words, sees himself as the 'Heir to Blair' ie a stylish figurehead. Whereas Osborne is merely the Conservative version of Brown ie political tactics first, last and always.

Now if we judge Osborne on his economic record, which is after all what he should be concentrating on, how does his record match his targets:

1) Deficit reduction = fail
    2) Rebalancing the economy = fail
    3) 'March of the Makers' = fail
    4) Maintaining the AAA rating = fail

Before anyone starts making excuses I'll say it doesn't matter - Osborne set his own targets, a luxury few workers have, and he has missed them.

Now perhaps some people might regard rising house prices as a target, in which case Osborne has succeeded there. But I view that as a band thing for both economic and social reasons.

My big issue has always been 'living within your means'. It might be an unfashionable thing but it has been the basis of my family's climb from renting miner's cottages a century ago to owning nice houses in nice areas now.

Unlike some people here I don't rant with fury about the 'other' side's failures and then turn a blind eye when 'my' side does likewise. I try to judge them all by the same standard.

And I see no understanding from Osborne that 'living within your means' is a worthwhile concept. Instead all I see is a willingness to spend money as the political tactics require.

That is why I have lost all respect for Osborne and likewise why I lost all respect for Cameron when he claimed to be "paying down Britain's debts" and finally why Avery aggravates me with his misuse and manipulation of the ONS data.

• Options

surbiton said:

Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Not this again.................................................... this explains the marginal rates based on 1, 2, 3 or 4 children...

If you can get your parents or grandparents or even you to pay in to a pension for the person affected, then it's a great tax relief as you get the child ben back too on each £ you get closer to £50k from £60k adjusted earnings!

They can't use that income though as it's tied up in a pension. What's the significance of parents/grandparents*?

*I declare an interest here - I have just filled in an SA form to change my tax code, as I am in the Child Benefit Tax zone too
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited January 2014
    Imo, this week could potentially decide the election. The business community and super-rich are out to destroy Labour's chances, and how Ed Miliband responds will be crucial. There's no doubt that, on the face of it, the 50p tax is extremely popular. However, as always in politics, the tone and how you present a policy matter almost as much. as the policy itself. And it has to be said, Labour's public defence has been deeply unimpressive. Ed Balls' performance on Andrew Marr yesterday was a carcrash: apologetic and defensive, it wasn't going to appease the critics and it wasn't strong or clear enough to appeal to the many people who think the rich should be paying a lot more. The sight of Labour allowing themselves to be bullied and cave in to the super-rich would be fatal.

Ed Miliband needs to give these selfish, greedy people the News International/energy companies/Daily Mail treatment, and publicly criticise them. It's time for a mainstream politician to say that it's time for the rich to stop thinking they can throw a party at everyone else's expense, that they don't have duties to the rest of society, that they can override the democratic will of everyone else. If he does that, he can define the election as "who will be hardest on the rich", a battle which I think would be popular and which Labour would be favourites to win.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Danny565 said:

Imo, this week could potentially decide the election. The business community and super-rich are out to destroy Labour's chances, and how Ed Miliband responds will be crucial. There's no doubt that, on the face of it, the 50p tax is extremely popular. However, as always in politics, the tone and how you present a policy matter almost as much. as the policy itself. And it has to be said, Labour's public defence has been deeply unimpressive. Ed Balls' performance on Andrew Marr yesterday was a carcrash: apologetic and defensive, it wasn't going to appease the critics and it wasn't strong or clear enough to appeal to the many people who think the rich should be paying a lot more. The sight of Labour allowing themselves to be bullied and cave in to the super-rich would be fatal.

Ed Miliband needs to give these selfish, greedy people the News International/energy companies/Daily Mail treatment, and publicly criticise them. It's time for a mainstream politician to say that it's time for the rich to stop thinking they can throw a party at everyone else's expense, that they don't have duties to the rest of society, that they can override the democratic will of everyone else. If he does that, he can define the election as "who will be hardest on the rich", a battle which I think would be popular and which Labour would be favourites to win.

No

• Options
    Danny565 said:

"who will be hardest on the rich"

That can win an election. Look at France.

Then the country is ****ed. Look at France.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

I must have been watching another interview because I thought Balls was pretty good on Marr.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Charles

Avery - possibly. I don't really pay attention to his non-economics posts though (and I do skip over the yellow boxes). On economics he is clearly a fellow traveler with the Boy, so whether that is prejudging the situation or whether its just agreeing with him is more difficult to call.
    I'm not sure whether Avery believes everything he says economically, whether he's doing out os some party loyalty or whether he's doing it for a laugh.

But he's clearly made up his mind whichever reason or reasons it is to laud Osborne to the heavens.

The problem this gives him is that he's committed to proving such an absolute picture of perfection out of less than perfect materials that it makes it easy to knock holes in.

And please don't refer to Osborne as the 'Boy' as it makes you sound like tim.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

@MSmithsonPB: Sensational poll coming out later from ComRes. Should be published at 10pm

Yay, let's speculate!

I'm going for a Yes IndyRef lead...
    The ComRes is a Westminster VI poll.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    ComRes/Independent 2013-11-24 32 37 9 11 -5 (The last one)
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

I would agree with your wife and Charles and that's why Labour's proposal seems 'fair'.

What we have as a problem here is the NI issue.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No the last one was Dec 17th

Con 32, Lab 37, LD 9, UKIP 10
  • Options

I'm willing to give fair praise where I think its due. For example I applaud both the rises in the VAT rate and tax threshold. While in other areas some good work is being done in both education and social security.

My general grievance is that I see no difference between Blair/Brown and Cameron/Osborne. Cameron, as in his own words, sees himself as the 'Heir to Blair' ie a stylish figurehead. Whereas Osborne is merely the Conservative version of Brown ie political tactics first, last and always.

Now if we judge Osborne on his economic record, which is after all what he should be concentrating on, how does his record match his targets:

1) Deficit reduction = fail
    2) Rebalancing the economy = fail
    3) 'March of the Makers' = fail
    4) Maintaining the AAA rating = fail

Before anyone starts making excuses I'll say it doesn't matter - Osborne set his own targets, a luxury few workers have, and he has missed them.

Now perhaps some people might regard rising house prices as a target, in which case Osborne has succeeded there. But I view that as a band thing for both economic and social reasons.

My big issue has always been 'living within your means'. It might be an unfashionable thing but it has been the basis of my family's climb from renting miner's cottages a century ago to owning nice houses in nice areas now.

Unlike some people here I don't rant with fury about the 'other' side's failures and then turn a blind eye when 'my' side does likewise. I try to judge them all by the same standard.

And I see no understanding from Osborne that 'living within your means' is a worthwhile concept. Instead all I see is a willingness to spend money as the political tactics require.

That is why I have lost all respect for Osborne and likewise why I lost all respect for Cameron when he claimed to be "paying down Britain's debts" and finally why Avery aggravates me with his misuse and manipulation of the ONS data.

Do you have any background in economics? I only ask, because you seem to expect an unfeasibly high degree of accuracy. Most economic forecasts are really a combination of extrapolation and guessing.

Rather than comparing it to forecasts I try to look at the outcome:

1) Deficit reduction - moving in the right direction
    2) Growth - no double dip recession (albeit mighty close) and now rebounding
    3) Employment - big shift from public to private sector
    4) Rebalancing of the economy - some progress, but still much to do.

Would have it been great if he could have reduced the deficit faster while not impacting growth? Yes, sure. Would it have been great if growth had been higher, or employment higher or the economy better position. Sure. But we have made very good progress over where we were, in a very difficult environment. Osborne is by no means "near perfect" but he has done a solid job. Cameron's a w*nker though.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Pulpstar said:

No there was one in December 32/37/9/10
  • Options
    My guess with ComRes is that Clegg got a bounce from his handling of the Rennard affair and the Lib Dems are now in the lead.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

My guess is Con 36, Lab 35..
  • Options
    edited January 2014

surbiton said:

Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

They can't use that income though as it's tied up in a pension. What's the significance of parents/grandparents*?

*I declare an interest here - I have just filled in an SA form to change my tax code, as I am in the Child Benefit Tax zone too
    Doesn't have to be you paying in to your pension to then benefit from having reduced earned income! So if bank of mum and dad gift say £300pm from their bank account in to your personal pension that becomes £375pm in your pension with the basic rate tax relief and your adjusted income for tax and child benefit purposes reduces by £4,500 (£375 x12).

You've got more in your pension, you've got your child benefit back and you are due a tax refund on the 20% higher rate tax contribution. All thanks to your parents generosity.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MSmithsonPB: Sensational poll coming out later from ComRes. Should be published at 10pm

Does anyone know the last comRes poll numbers for the parties (That's if the sensational poll is for the parties)

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

There's no point me guessing, I've seen the poll.

This is the December poll

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/12/17/the-final-phone-poll-of-2013-has-almost-no-change-on-november/
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/12/17/the-final-phone-poll-of-2013-has-almost-no-change-on-november/
    I mean the new one

• Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I mean the new one

New poll is out at 10pm
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I'm hoping it's on my 'spurs win' side of the emotions rather than a Man C gubbing (again)....
  • Options
    If the political polling analysts are right then we should expect the Lab lead under Comres to significantly widen.

If not then the Balls 50% trick may have failed.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I mean the new one

New poll is out at 10pm
    Seems to have been leaked to ppl already though...

• Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,895
    I suppose "sensational" could also mean a double-figure Labour lead. How about 41/29 - that would be fairly sensational I would guess.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I'm hoping it's on my 'spurs win' side of the emotions rather than a Man C gubbing (again)....
    You've got 32 minutes until you find out.
  • Options
    Surbiton, But Cuba and France which also tax 50% or more? I also forgot to add Portugal, Israel, Aruba and Senegal not that it makes much difference other than those additional 4 all other nations' top rate is below 50%!
  • Options

If the political polling analysts are right then we should expect the Lab lead under Comres to significantly widen.

Could labour have moved into the 40's,a double digit lead ?

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I mean the new one

New poll is out at 10pm

ComRes send out an embargoed copy to certain people (including OGH) around 7pm

We respect the embargo, other people do not.
  • Options

Wouldn't the fieldwork have been before 50% move ?
  • Options
    I can sense TSE's excitement, so it must be a Tory lead! But is it due to a steep UKIP or Labour fall; or perhaps an LD recovery?? Interesting ...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

The fieldwork was between the 24th and 26th so ended yesterday
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmm Can't see on UKPR.

I mean the new one

New poll is out at 10pm

ComRes send out an embargoed copy to certain people (including OGH) around 7pm

We respect the embargo, other people do not.
    Ian Jones ‏@msnnews_ian 27m

By my calculation, I think tonight's ComRes poll boasts something we haven't seen since September 2010.

I'm guessing he has an embargoed copy and he's leaking onto twitter that CON have a lead :P
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe. Is that embargoed as well?
  • Options
    edited January 2014

I can sense TSE's excitement, so it must be a Tory lead! But is it due to a steep UKIP or Labour fall; or perhaps an LD recovery?? Interesting ...

You're reading too much into my comments
  • Options
    stodge said:

I suppose "sensational" could also mean a double-figure Labour lead. How about 41/29 - that would be fairly sensational I would guess.

The sensational bit would be a tory lead ;-)

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Today's Populus was Lab 7% lead so seems that anything very unusual is an outlier.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

The fieldwork was between the 24th and 26th so ended yesterday
    So the bulk would have been after EdBalls announcement. It has also had a lot of publicity.
  • Options
    I'm hoping for crossover, just so that poor old computer can finally put those bloody goalposts down!
  • Options

I'm hoping for crossover, just so that poor old computer can finally put those bloody goalposts down!

:D
  • Options
    Well the Indy haven't put the poll details on their front page.

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 30m

Tuesday's Independent front page - "Exclusive - Lib Dems declare war on the rich" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/EhfRyDepnE
  • Options

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Yay, let's speculate!

If it's a Tory lead I'm looking forward to Indyref consequences.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4 mins
    As a general rule sensational polls turn out to be outliers. In 2013 3 pollsters had LAB & CON level-pegging before returning "normal"

• Options

surbiton said:

Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Doesn't have to be you paying in to your pension to then benefit from having reduced earned income! So if bank of mum and dad gift say £300pm from their bank account in to your personal pension that becomes £375pm in your pension with the basic rate tax relief and your adjusted income for tax and child benefit purposes reduces by £4,500 (£375 x12).

You've got more in your pension, you've got your child benefit back and you are due a tax refund on the 20% higher rate tax contribution. All thanks to your parents generosity.
    Thanks. But why would my income fall when my parents give into my pension?
  • Options
    Surely must be good for the Tories, OGH is downplaying it...

Mike Smithson‏@MSmithsonPB5 mins
    As a general rule sensational polls turn out to be outliers. In 2013 3 pollsters had LAB & CON level-pegging before returning "normal"
    Expand
  • Options
    Either a Tory lead (which looks likely due to the tweet mentioned below) or a big Lab lead are probably outliers. Unless YouGov backs them. Populus today showed no movement.
  • Options

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Yay, let's speculate!

Pretty good ICM polling for me betting on a Yes vote and you lot over the weekend.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

If its a ComRes crossover, surely we can expect YouGov to have a Labour lead of 8-10%
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Might I temper the COMRES excitement a wee bit.

I very much doubt the poll is anything like sensational ....

I fear small polling earthquake in PB but life and death it isn't !! .... so on the basis of some movement from the last COMRES offering let's opt for a narrowing of the Labour lead to 6-8 points.
  • Options
    We've had a distinct lack of outliers recently actually.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Very serious subject of course, but on BBC News talking about the Holocaust Clive Myrie introduced one of his guests as having escaped from "French occupied France".
  • Options
    JackW said:

I fear small polling earthquake in PB but life and death it isn't !! .... so on the basis of some movement from the last COMRES offering let's opt for a narrowing of the Labour lead to 6-8 points.

That wouldn't be in any way sensational, even in the warped world of PB. A guy on Twitter has already effectively leaked that it's a Tory lead - as he works for MSN News I am inclined to believe him.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Hugh said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

Thanks. But why would my income fall when my parents give into my pension?
    Because it's treated by HMRC as coming from you. Think about it - there's no point your parents paying in £300pm to your bank account to then see you pay £300pm in to your pension - this just makes it simpler but it's a win/win/win/win (even more so if relatives have IHT issues too).

I'm here all week.
  • Options
    @brucerisk: "@Scotlandreport: Expat Scots demand a vote in independence referendum - Reuters http://t.co/d2S6bh3Lwy" ...and why not? #Smile
  • Options
    Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick
    Tuesday's Daily Telegraph front page - "Economy is growing at fastest pace since crash" #tomorrowspaperstoday pic.twitter.com/Z2dIwulZYL

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Theuniondivvie I doubt the fate of the 300 year old Act of Union will rest on one Comres, in any case if the Tories are ahead the result would be more like another Tory-LD Coalition than a Tory majority unless the Tories have a really big lead!
  • Options
    I'm guessing it's a Tory lead.

That said, the tweet about "first since September 2010" doesn't make sense -- ComRes last showed a Tory lead in early 2012.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Theuniondivvie I doubt the fate of the 250 year old Act of Union will rest on one Comres, in any case if the Tories are ahead the result would be more like another Tory-LD Coalition than a Tory majority unless the Tories have a really big lead!

You need to read this piece from last summer, written by one of PB's most intelligent and perceptive posters, ahem

http://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2013/07/21/an-improving-economy-the-biggest-threat-to-the-future-of-the-uk/
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,263
    edited January 2014

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Yay, let's speculate!

Pretty good ICM polling for me betting on a Yes vote and you lot over the weekend.
    One swallow doesn't make a summer etc, but aye.

If you're doing a Nighthawks you might want to add this to the 'As others see Us' comedy section.

http://tinyurl.com/n5mu3fz

'Mundell has become London's poster child for keeping the United Kingdom united, and has spent part of December carrying that message to Washington in meetings at think tanks and influential congressional offices. A lifelong Scotsman, Mundell is the only Conservative MP who represents a Scottish constituency, making him an ideal courier for David Cameron's anti-independence message...
    Mundell was gearing up for a talk at the Brookings Institution the next day, where his intellectual rival, First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond, spoke earlier in the year.'

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    JackW said:

Jack maybe they are going to reveal your date of birth!!
  • Options
    edited January 2014

Hugh said:

Scott_P said:

Yay, let's speculate!

One swallow doesn't make a summer etc, but aye.
    If you're doing a Nighthawks you might want to add this to the 'As others see Us' comedy section.

http://tinyurl.com/n5mu3fz

'Mundell has become London's poster child for keeping the United Kingdom united, and has spent part of December carrying that message to Washington in meetings at think tanks and influential congressional offices. A lifelong Scotsman, Mundell is the only Conservative MP who represents a Scottish constituency, making him an ideal courier for David Cameron's anti-independence message...
    Mundell was gearing up for a talk at the Brookings Institution the next day, where his intellectual rival, First Minister of Scotland Alex Salmond, spoke earlier in the year.'

No nighthawks tonight, i'll add it into tomorrow's nighthawks.

I did write a piece, but never published saying, that if Yes were only 10% behind when the campaign proper starts in June, then Yes would win, because Salmond would be able to get that kind of swing, as no has no-one who can compete with him.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

Well the Indy haven't put the poll details on their front page.

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 30m

Tuesday's Independent front page - "Exclusive - Lib Dems declare war on the rich" #tomorrowspaperstoday #bbcpapers pic.twitter.com/EhfRyDepnE

Doesn't a mansion tax just make it harder for the LDs to hold their London and southern seats?
  • Options
  • Options
    Sun_Politics: YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to just two points: CON 35%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%
  • Options
    Sun Politics ‏@Sun_Politics 58 secs
    YouGov/Sun poll tonight - Labour lead drops to just two points: CON 35%, LAB 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%

• Options
    Definitely a Tory lead in Comres then, judging by the YouGov trend.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Jack maybe they are going to reveal your date of birth!!
    LOL ...

But it's a state secret .... filed away in a secret pocket of Mrs JackW's bloomers !!

• Options
    Charles said:

Do you have any background in economics? I only ask, because you seem to expect an unfeasibly high degree of accuracy. Most economic forecasts are really a combination of extrapolation and guessing.

Rather than comparing it to forecasts I try to look at the outcome:

1) Deficit reduction - moving in the right direction
    2) Growth - no double dip recession (albeit mighty close) and now rebounding
    3) Employment - big shift from public to private sector
    4) Rebalancing of the economy - some progress, but still much to do.

Would have it been great if he could have reduced the deficit faster while not impacting growth? Yes, sure. Would it have been great if growth had been higher, or employment higher or the economy better position. Sure. But we have made very good progress over where we were, in a very difficult environment. Osborne is by no means "near perfect" but he has done a solid job. Cameron's a w*nker though.

I have done more than the odd economics and financial course during my life.

And while it would be stupid to expect accuracy in an economics forecast it is reasonable to assume that a forecast gets things roughly right. If not then what's the point in the taxpayer paying for the OBR quango to create more economic forecasts ?

I will also point out that you can miss your forecasts on the good side as well as the bad ie that deficit reduction and growth might have been better than forecast not worse.

Osborne set his own targets and must be judged on them.

Lets compare your 4 points:

1) Deficit reduction - moving in the right direction isn't hard when you start with a deficit of £155bn is it. As it is deficit reduction is happening way behind schedule and the government debt percentage might well still be increasing when the next recession hits.

2) Growth - again below predictions. Now rebounding as you say but based upon what - rising house prices and increasing consumer spending. Exactly the same fundamental excesses which casued the last recession.

3) Employment - agreed but the public sector is now increasing employment again while there has been a collapse in productivity growth (may even be negative under this government).

4) Rebalancing the economy - no progress whatsoever in fact the economy is MORE unbalanced. Industrial production is down and consumer spending is up while the trade deficit has become perpetual.

• Options
    New Thread
This discussion has been closed.