Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Most current polling movement is between CON and UKIP with

SystemSystem Posts: 11,685
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Most current polling movement is between CON and UKIP with LAB and LD relatively stable

Each week, as we know, YouGov carries out four polls for the Sun and one for its News International stable-mate, the Sunday Times. The result is a mass of polling data that sometimes it is hard to see the big picture.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    Probably safe to assume the Con/UKIP waverers will end up with Con and throw out all but the highest Con shares.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good morning PBers ....

About 85% recovered from Burns Night on Saturday .... will probably achieve full operation mode by February !!
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Thank you for this useful analysis Mike.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    It is not as if the tories and UKIP are oscillating wildly either. Indeed what these useful averages show is that the last 5-6 weeks have been a period of remarkable stability. From the tory perspective this remains a worry. There has been a lot of good economic news in that time with better growth forecasts and a dramatic reduction in unemployment but so far there is no sign at all that it is making any difference.

This week we will have the Q4 results which should be goodish but I have always doubted the traction of those. Will the drip, drip, drip of good news start to have an effect or will the pattern hold? Time is starting to run a little short for the tories. They need a move soon.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    @Morris_Dancer This time tomorrow I'll be in Jerez for the F1 testing. VIP tickets :)
  • Options
    Rufus Hound came out on Jonathan Ross - last week it was Russell Brand slating Cameron now Rufus this week.

Toby Young‏@toadmeister5 mins
    BBC comedian says Cameron 'wants your kids to die': This is a new low. Rufus Hound, the host of a Radio 4 come... http://bit.ly/1jVF9Xy
  • Options
    Nailed it here too.

Chris Deerin‏@chrisdeerin2 mins
    Worth remembering re 50p tax that it was pre-election stunt by Brown to screw the Tories. Never was economic rationale behind it. Same again
  • Options

Rufus Hound came out on Jonathan Ross - last week it was Russell Brand slating Cameron now Rufus this week.

BBC comedian says Cameron 'wants your kids to die': This is a new low. Rufus Hound, the host of a Radio 4 come... http://bit.ly/1jVF9Xy

What was it BBC employee Jeremy Clarkson said about Gordon Brown?

• Options
    I note that Rennard Gate has had no effect - as I predicted. And despite the usual wishful thinking from many on here. Each party has now had a 'scandal' that has made no difference - Ashcroft, Falkirk, Rennard. All are scandals only in the sense the entertain political obsessives while the general public say, erm, what?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is not as if the tories and UKIP are oscillating wildly either. Indeed what these useful averages show is that the last 5-6 weeks have been a period of remarkable stability. From the tory perspective this remains a worry. There has been a lot of good economic news in that time with better growth forecasts and a dramatic reduction in unemployment but so far there is no sign at all that it is making any difference.

This week we will have the Q4 results which should be goodish but I have always doubted the traction of those. Will the drip, drip, drip of good news start to have an effect or will the pattern hold? Time is starting to run a little short for the tories. They need a move soon.

Tractor stats don't shift votes; experiences and perceptions do. The Tories need the improving economy to deliver for ordinary punters. So far, that's not really happening to any great extent.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,031

"You mean the one-eyes Scottish idiot?" Well, two parts of that are undoubtedly factual, and the other debatable, depending on your view.

There's a world of difference between that and saying someone wants your kids to die.
  • Options

I note that Rennard Gate has had no effect - as I predicted. And despite the usual wishful thinking from many on here. Each party has now had a 'scandal' that has made no difference - Ashcroft, Falkirk, Rennard. All are scandals only in the sense the entertain political obsessives while the general public say, erm, what?

The figures show the Lib Dem average down 0.6% over the last week. Doesn't sound a lot but when you are already below 10% it is significant. They have lost slightly more than 6% of their remaining support. In a week.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Tractor stats don't shift votes; experiences and perceptions do. The Tories need the improving economy to deliver for ordinary punters. So far, that's not really happening to any great extent.

In fact, it's getting worse. There was an interesting analysis over the weekend which said living standards are falling for most, once you take tax credits and child benefit losses into account.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The figures show the Lib Dem average down 0.6% over the last week. Doesn't sound a lot but when you are already below 10% it is significant. They have lost slightly more than 6% of their remaining support. In a week.
    True, but I suspect that is just MOE variation rather than a meaningful shift David.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311

DavidL said:

Agree but/and from the other side of the spectrum if you are a hell-in-a-handbasket Kipper nothing has happened which will all of a sudden make you feel better, or give you the belief that Britain is regaining its greatness, or convince you to stop giving Cam a kicking.

For the moment.

I expect that to change as GE2015 approaches.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339
    DavidL said:

The economy isn't coming up on the doorstep significantly. Speculating, I think that's because the news is neither wonderful nor terrible, so people are focusing on other things. Education, the NHS and local planning controversies are the ones I get all the time.
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited January 2014
    Interesting. The lib dems continue their death spiral in scotland.
    Worth reproducing this from yesterday in light of that polling.
    Carnyx said:

Agree that he's (Charles Kennedy) been very quiet lately - I can't remember any recent intervention of significance.

Irrespective of his merits or otherwise, If they fronted him, in any case, I think it'd only be seen as emphasising how it is only the LD and Labour penal battalions fronting for Tories who were afraid to come and get involved (as opposed to doing a seagull, ie. fly in, squawk, and fly out again before the locals can react, like Mr Hague a few days ago).

Mick_Pork said:

It is truly astonishing that so many of lib dems at westminster either haven't noticed that or just don't seem to care. It is blatantly obvious on scottish TV and media with Rennie and Carmichael the go-to daily rent a quotes for the coalition/No campaign. They must have a radio mic permanently wired into them by now. If the lib dems elsewhere ever stopped for a second to wonder just why they are finishing behind the kippers in scotland they might eventually work it out.

• Options

DavidL said:

The economy isn't coming up on the doorstep significantly. Speculating, I think that's because the news is neither wonderful nor terrible, so people are focusing on other things. Education, the NHS and local planning controversies are the ones I get all the time.
    Ah there you are Nick - apologies I had wanted to get back to you over the weekend.

I can't remember your exact words but they were to the effect of "no LD voter wants power". I take issue with this - in their own terms they want the power either to register their dissatisfaction with the existing political environment or the power to change or mitigate it or the power to say, tangibly, "something's got to change."

And in this, they have been successful so yes, it is power they wanted and power they got. They now have to decide whether it is all they wanted.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    JackW said:

Good morning PBers ....

About 85% recovered from Burns Night on Saturday .... will probably achieve full operation mode by February !!

My son was wolfing down the haggis, neep and tatties on Saturday, was a proud moment.

Sigh, neither covered themselves in glory, but why wheel the Clarkson thing out to somehow defend the idiot Hound? Are you saying what he said was OK, given that the BBC have given this "balance"?
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Agree but/and from the other side of the spectrum if you are a hell-in-a-handbasket Kipper nothing has happened which will all of a sudden make you feel better, or give you the belief that Britain is regaining its greatness, or convince you to stop giving Cam a kicking.

For the moment.

I expect that to change as GE2015 approaches.
    Agree with that... I think there isn't much that can or should be done for the kippers at the moment. Once the Euros are behind us and (hopefully) the good economic news continues with the positive effects being felt by the man on the street, then there will be a drift back.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Wow Even I thought it wasn't THAT bad for the Lib Dems up in Scotland. Behind UKIP, simply incredible.
  • Options
    Great poll for the SNP though.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

I'm afraid you've got it wrong. They've had no immediate effect on VI (to be fair it will take a bomb to shift the lib dems from their VI flatlining at around 10% for the last four years anyway) but political effect, oh yes they have.

To start I suggest you look at the series of farces and resignations that wracked the tory party treasury after Ashcroft which directly impacts their ability to raise funds. That's even before taking into account the increasing influence of what Ashcroft is now doing which is by no means always what Cameron wants. Then tell me that having two shadow cabinet members quit from little Ed's cabinet, SLAB made to look completely clueless and out of the loop and a possible complete rethink of how labour are funded is no effect from Falkirk. Finally the Rennard debacle is not even close to being over. As he himself has made abundantly clear.
    Sunday Times: THE Liberal Democrat peer at the centre of a sexual harassment scandal could expose two decades of sex scandals in the party if Nick Clegg “goes nuclear” and tries to expel him, say his friends.

Lord Rennard, who masterminded some of the party’s most successful election campaigns, is said by allies to “know where the bodies are buried”, including details of a married Lib Dem peer who has had extramarital affairs, a married MP who had a sexual liaison with a Lib Dem peer, a former MP who was regarded as a sex pest and secret gay liaisons involving both MPs and peers.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/Politics/article1367820.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_01_25
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,984
    Good morning, everyone.

Very little change, really. UKIP slightly down, Conservatives slightly up, the others basically the same.

Mr. M, I expect comprehensive reports filled with wit and insight.

Mr. Scrapheap, this Hound fellow sounds like an utter arse. He should be made to withdraw the remark. And those comparing it to Clarkson's comment should know better. Clarkson called Brown an idiot (the one-eyed bit was factually accurate, but crude). He did not accuse Brown of wanting children to die. Clarkson was also not standing for office.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

I'm going to sue the BBC. No, not for Hound's remarks, but for using a picture of me with a suntan without my permission. Grrrr... No, actually, ugggg...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-25885519
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Sigh, neither covered themselves in glory, but why wheel the Clarkson thing out to somehow defend the idiot Hound? Are you saying what he said was OK, given that the BBC have given this "balance"?

Surely the BBC is the one smeared here, by Young. Unless I've misread it, Hound did not smear Cameron on the BBC (and that is to beg the question of what distinguishes a smear from political hyperbole).
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    @NickPalmer
    "Education, the NHS and local planning controversies are the ones I get all the time. "

Interesting Nick. What are your doorstep people saying about education?
    Something entirely local, or something relating to national patterns?
  • Options
    Mr. L, I'm not sure I'd consider it a smear so much as a mad utterance from a man standing for office.

That said, after Clarkson's comment (not the Brown-idiot, the shooting people for striking one) I think a QI episode he was to appear on was pulled from broadcast.

The BBC is not directly involved here because, as you say, the comments were made online (and not on a BBC site). However, a man accusing the PM of apparently wanting children to die is far more serious (especially given it seems to be genuine rather than Clarkson's blatant mockery).

Personally I think he should be fired from some sort of giant cannon into the heart of the sun.
  • Options

Falkirk was/is a scandal by any acceptable definition of the word. The fact it didn't seem to move VI much does not stop it being scandalous. The wider impact on Labour, how they are funded and how they operate in Scotland is far from the little local difficulty that you are portray it as.

The Rennard story is far from over, and given how low the LDs are at the mo it's hard to see how much more VI can shift to Lab, but didn't we see a bit of a jump recently?
  • Options
    Hound was actually on ITV's Jonathan Ross plugging Dirty Rotten Scoundrels show when he pronounced the NHS was being privatised and so standing for the NHA. His blog builds on that publicity. He is now 'sans' wild 'tash and looks the worse for it which is some achievement.
  • Options

Surely the BBC is the one smeared here, by Young. Unless I've misread it, Hound did not smear Cameron on the BBC (and that is to beg the question of what distinguishes a smear from political hyperbole).
    Whether Hound said it as a BBC employee or not is immaterial. I was poking SO for wheeling out Clarkson as somehow excusing/validating what Hound said.

• Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,601
    Portsmouth Lib Dems in turmoil over decision to keep Hancock in Council Cabinet.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/local/decision-to-let-mike-hancock-stay-causes-rumpus-1-5835054

"‘I’m personally ashamed when I see good friends and colleagues from other ends of the country saying “this was a disgraceful decision”.’"

BBC are carrying it too.

• Options
    I see that Avery is now trying to hide his humiliation in a fog of long winded posts with long important sounding words.

He is also having far too little sleep.

Perhaps Charles or RN could arrange a visit to Cousin Seth for him before he cracks up totally.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

@NickPalmer
    "Education, the NHS and local planning controversies are the ones I get all the time. "

Interesting Nick. What are your doorstep people saying about education?
    Something entirely local, or something relating to national patterns?

Presumably the voters are demanding that their children be given a better education than their neighbours'. During the brief period I sat as a councillor I did my damnedest to prevent anyone in the ward from finding out I was on the education committee...

• Options

"You mean the one-eyes Scottish idiot?" Well, two parts of that are undoubtedly factual, and the other debatable, depending on your view.

There's a world of difference between that and saying someone wants your kids to die.

Both are puerile, pathetic and ridiculous. The point being that using this comedian no-one has ever heard of to attack the BBC for "bias" is absurd. And that is clearly what Toby Young is doing, otherwise why mention the BBC at all?

• Options
    What a surprise.
    Quinn Stretton ‏@thehealthrebel 1h

Chaos over immigration bill as 70 Tory rebels refuse to back down over amendment : : http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2546246/Chaos-immigration-bill-70-Tory-rebels-refuse-amendment.html

dan kelly ‏@dan1kelly 19m

PM: We can offer (to the Tory rebels) no more on Romania and Bulgarian immigration controls #r4today
    I expect Farage will be gutted.
  • Options

Whether Hound said it as a BBC employee or not is immaterial. I was poking SO for wheeling out Clarkson as somehow excusing/validating what Hound said.

Nothing can validate what this complete non-entity said. Clarkson only becomes relevant when folk start associating his words with the BBC.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    a-n Which Avery posts are you referring to?
  • Options

Both are puerile, pathetic and ridiculous. The point being that using this comedian no-one has ever heard of to attack the BBC for "bias" is absurd. And that is clearly what Toby Young is doing, otherwise why mention the BBC at all?

"No-one has never heard of."

I've heard of him as I (drum rolls) listen to the BBC. Particularly Radio 4.

Obviously he's never been heard of to such an extent that he was on, and won, last year's Celebrity Come Dancing Christmas Special, just a month ago. Broadcast on the BBC.

Yes, a total non-entity.
  • Options

Nothing can validate what this complete non-entity said. Clarkson only becomes relevant when folk start associating his words with the BBC.

I don't see how Clarkson can be relevant at all... I'm all for defending the BBC, national treasure and all that, but using one idiot to defend another is dumb. What hound said may have had nothing to do with the BBC, and fair enough to point that out.
  • Options

Obviously he's never been heard of to such an extent that he was on, and won, last year's Celebrity Come Dancing Christmas Special, just a month ago. Broadcast on the BBC.

Yes, a total non-entity.

Indeed. It would be interesting to know what listening figures his Radio 4 show gets and to compare those with Clarkson's viewing figures.

• Options
    Both have Jonathan Ross' ITV show to thank for latest oxygen.... I believe JR's a former BBC man (for you SO) so clearly a wrong 'un.

Ian Birrell‏@ianbirrell5 mins
    Another 'comedian' climbing on Brand's bandwagon. @RufusHound is offensive, wrong & stupid in one short piece http://rufushound.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/david-and-jeremy-want-your-kids-to-die-unless-youre-rich/
  • Options

Falkirk was/is a scandal by any acceptable definition of the word. The fact it didn't seem to move VI much does not stop it being scandalous. The wider impact on Labour, how they are funded and how they operate in Scotland is far from the little local difficulty that you are portray it as.

The Rennard story is far from over, and given how low the LDs are at the mo it's hard to see how much more VI can shift to Lab, but didn't we see a bit of a jump recently?
    In a sentence, what would you say the Falkirk scandal was all about?
  • Options
    Well Hound is getting the NHS Action Party some time then...

Robbie Gibb‏@RobbieGibb60 secs
    Today's #bbcdp - floods, regulations, housing, NHS Action party, feminism & which party is best for business? With @jo_coburn - 12pm BBC2
  • Options
    This poll and the referendum poll from the recent thread suggests to me that the SNP are recovering their Mojo. 2014 will be interesting.
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

Indeed. It would be interesting to know what listening figures his Radio 4 show gets and to compare those with Clarkson's viewing figures.

Sorry, I didn't realise that in your world, the offensiveness of a comment was marked by how famous or watched the commenter is.

And you must admit that comment is fairly hideous.
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

Sorry, I didn't realise that in your world, the offensiveness of a comment was marked by how famous or watched the commenter is.

And you must admit that comment is fairly hideous.

It's revolting. My point is about dragging the BBC into it.

• Options

Previous thread.

Avery's problem is that having set himself up as an proponent of Osborne's 100% perfection he is now reduced to pretending inconvenient things don't exist or 'proving' some 2+2=5 meanderings.

It makes you wonder how easily politicians might lose touch with the real world with their tendancy to surround themselves with sycophants and not do any research for themselves.

• Options

I don't see how Clarkson can be relevant at all... I'm all for defending the BBC, national treasure and all that, but using one idiot to defend another is dumb. What hound said may have had nothing to do with the BBC, and fair enough to point that out.

That's all I'm doing. The BBC is irrelevant, but Toby is attempting to drag them in. For obvious reasons.

• Options

Clarkson was also not standing for office.

Indeed. Clarkson would always prefer the harlot's privilege of spouting his 'hilarious' opinions on the public payroll without actually having to put himself to the trouble of asking the public to vote in support of them.
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

I'm not sure the former in any way contradicts the latter.

• Options

Clarkson was also not standing for office.

Indeed. Clarkson would always prefer the harlot's privilege of spouting his 'hilarious' opinions on the public payroll without actually having to put himself to the trouble of asking the public to vote in support of them.
    Boris to the rescue.
    steve hawkes ‏@steve_hawkes Sep 16

BoJo calls on Jeremy Clarkson to stand against "Cleggers" in the next election .. Where would your "X" go on that?! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/nick-clegg/10311123/Condescending-Lord-Clegg-the-invincible-loser-of-British-politics.html
    *chortle*
  • Options

Previous thread.

Avery's problem is that having set himself up as an proponent of Osborne's 100% perfection he is now reduced to pretending inconvenient things don't exist or 'proving' some 2+2=5 meanderings.

It makes you wonder how easily politicians might lose touch with the real world with their tendancy to surround themselves with sycophants and not do any research for themselves.

Agree with the last sentence but even as a Kipper I have to acknowledge that Osborne has done a superb job thus far.
  • Options

I couldn't possibly reduce the saga to just one sentence.

Tell me, what do you find so acceptable of the following chain of events?

Eric "You can't touch me, I'm an MP!" Joyce resigns after assault charges.
    Karie Murphy announces she wants to be the candidate to replace Eric
    Stevie Deans is elected chariman of the Falkirk Labour party
    Karie Murphy and Stevie Deans recruit lots of new local members, many of whom didn't even know...
    Ed suspends the Falkirk selection, and following Henry Smith MP (Tory), reports the fiasco to the police.
    Stevie Deans was then suspended from his job at Grangemouth for fixing Labour's Falkirk vote on company time (when he was supposed to be working)
    Unite bosses threatened a "leverage" programme of rolling closures and strikes
    Unite then threatened to boycott Labour conference, unless Ed Miliband cleared them of wrongdoing and restarted the Falkirk selection
    Ed caves in and clears Unite
    Unite's strike threats lead to the closure of Grangemouth, with the loss of 800 jobs
    Not only 800 jobs but roughly 8% of the Scottish manufacturing base.
    At the last minute Unite admit defeat and the 800 jobs are saved
    As a result of internal investigations at Grangemouth. Emails were leaked, suggesting a conspiracy by Unite officials to change evidence
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,856
    Morning all :)

I've never bought into the argument of two polarised blocs of opinion - I suspect it's nowhere near as simple as that. My methodology assumes half the UKIP vote will break for the Conservatives so yesterday's Com Res would give the Conservatives a four-point lead while today's YouGov puts the Tories three in front.

That of course is based on the assumption that, as happened with the Liberal/LD vote in the past, a large part of the midterm protest vote will run back to its former home at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder but of course we don't know that for sure with UKIP and therein lies one of the many issues facing those trying to predict 2015.

• Options

Previous thread.

Agree with the last sentence but even as a Kipper I have to acknowledge that Osborne has done a superb job thus far.
    You mean particularly as a Kipper. It was Obrowne's omnishambles and the biggest drop in tory polling since before 2010 that really kicked the kippers off of 5% and set them on their rise. It was that incompetence which first persuaded so many soft tories to start jumping ship over to Farage. You have much to be grateful for.
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

It was won by an audience vote. So he's hardly a non-entity, In fact, in the way of these things, he probably got more votes from the public than any of our elected MPs.

And he won another BBC dance contest in 2010.

As I said, a total non-entity.
  • Options
    That ICM poll for Scotland is remarkable. The party in power (SNP) looks like increasing its vote share at these European elections. Labour, the main opposition is stuck under 30% and has not recovered much from the 21% in 2009. Lib Dems heading for an * .
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

It was won by an audience vote. So he's hardly a non-entity, In fact, in the way of these things, he probably got more votes from the public than any of our elected MPs.

'nonentity
    nɒˈnɛntɪti/
    noun

1. a person or thing with no special or interesting qualities; an unimportant person or thing.'

As I said, no contradiction.

• Options

Previous thread.

So is it Europe that is the key issue? Or immigration? Assuming that Lab would have c*cked it up as usual, the Cons are proving the only party able to deliver competent economic policy. Without that most of the rest is moot.

So what has irritated you to the point whereby you have forsaken the best alternative possible (obtainable now) for the best possible alternative (unobtainable right now)?

Or are you playing the long game?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150
    stodge said:

I've never bought into the argument of two polarised blocs of opinion - I suspect it's nowhere near as simple as that. My methodology assumes half the UKIP vote will break for the Conservatives so yesterday's Com Res would give the Conservatives a four-point lead while today's YouGov puts the Tories three in front.

That of course is based on the assumption that, as happened with the Liberal/LD vote in the past, a large part of the midterm protest vote will run back to its former home at the first whiff of electoral gunpowder but of course we don't know that for sure with UKIP and therein lies one of the many issues facing those trying to predict 2015.

Half seems like too much. It's unlikely that that much ever came from Con in the first place, and in the event that UKIP get squeezed out of the general election coverage some of the current UKIP identifiers will move back to Lab. The latter may not account for a lot of voters, but they count for a lot because they cancel out some of the ones going back to Con. So UKIP lose maybe 7% but of those only 4% go Con while 1% go Lab, and Con only net +3%.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Quite remarkable that even the bien peasant luvvie types like Mr Hound no longer trust the NHS with Labour and have to set up their own parties.

• Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,787

[edited]
    I couldn't possibly reduce the saga to just one sentence.

Tell me, what do you find so acceptable of the following chain of events?

Eric "You can't touch me, I'm an MP!" Joyce resigns after assault charges.
    Karie Murphy announces she wants to be the candidate to replace Eric
    Stevie Deans is elected chariman of the Falkirk Labour party
    Karie Murphy and Stevie Deans recruit lots of new local members, many of whom didn't even know...
    Ed suspends the Falkirk selection, and following Henry Smith MP (Tory), reports the fiasco to the police.
    Stevie Deans was then suspended from his job at Grangemouth for fixing Labour's Falkirk vote on company time (when he was supposed to be working)
    Unite bosses threatened a "leverage" programme of rolling closures and strikes
    Unite then threatened to boycott Labour conference, unless Ed Miliband cleared them of wrongdoing and restarted the Falkirk selection
    Ed caves in and clears Unite
    Unite's strike threats lead to the closure of Grangemouth, with the loss of 800 jobs
    Not only 800 jobs but roughly 8% of the Scottish manufacturing base.
    At the last minute Unite admit defeat and the 800 jobs are saved
    As a result of internal investigations at Grangemouth. Emails were leaked, suggesting a conspiracy by Unite officials to change evidence
    And 800 union members end up with worse contracts because of that strike. And the associated refinery would have been at long term risk if the adjacent petrochemical works had closed. And many contractor jobs were put at risk too. A lot of people were - I assume - very badly frightened. And it was the SNP Government, not the local head of the Labour Party in Scotland, who were seen to try and sort out the mess even if Mr Salmond had to miss key elements of his party conference, if I recall rightly. If those don't have some effect on voting, even in a Labour heartland seat, I really will be surprised.
  • Options
    stodge said:

I guess you think the result will be almost identically split in terms of seats Lab/Con ? Do you think it will be a continuation of the coaltion or a Lib/Lab administration
  • Options

Yes, a total non-entity.

'nonentity
    nɒˈnɛntɪti/
    noun

1. a person or thing with no special or interesting qualities; an unimportant person or thing.'

As I said, no contradiction.
    If he has no special or interesting qualities, and is unimportant, then why does he appear on the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 so often?

Surely that shows that there need to be a root-and-branch reform of who they allow on their shows? I think you and SO should be put on a special committee to grant people 'entity' and 'non-entity' status.

Or perhaps you are both wrong ...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

I see that Avery is now trying to hide his humiliation in a fog of long winded posts with long important sounding words.

He is also having far too little sleep.

Perhaps Charles or RN could arrange a visit to Cousin Seth for him before he cracks up totally.

His argument was reasonably convinced ar, if you hadn't already made up your mind.

Forecasts are forecasts. They are often wrong. And it's pretty common that there is one line deep in a model that throws out a slightly bizarre number anyway.
  • Options

Half seems like too much. It's unlikely that that much ever came from Con in the first place, and in the event that UKIP get squeezed out of the general election coverage some of the current UKIP identifiers will move back to Lab. The latter may not account for a lot of voters, but they count for a lot because they cancel out some of the ones going back to Con. So UKIP lose maybe 7% but of those only 4% go Con while 1% go Lab, and Con only net +3%.

Perhaps but I've seen polls suggesting at least 40% of UKIP voters prefer a Conservative Government so that's my starting point as a way of trying to estimate the maximum potential Conservative vote. This is the basis, I think, of Cameron's UKIP squeeze theory.

Taking as an example the December IPSOS/MORI numbers and applying the above, you'd have the Conservatives and Labour level on 37 (allowing for your argument, we'll make it 38/37 in Labour's favour) which would again be much better for Labour overall.

Once again, we don't know what will happen - will the UKIP vote a) stay with UKIP b) stay at home or c) return to old loyalties ? We can't answer that yet - this time next year, we may have a better idea.

We also don't know if the current Labour vote (solid as it is) is the party's potential maximum. What we do know is that IF Labour polls in the range 37-40% in 2015 it becomes almost impossible for the Conservatives to achieve an overall majority.

• Options

Unions threatening people to try and get their own way? (well that was Grangemouth)

The point is that in the current climate ("they're all awful") individual scandals don't really affect VI. However they can have material impacts on process points:

eg:

- Falkirk: damaged SLAB, may damage Labour's union funding
    - Flowers: likely to damage Labour's Coop funding
    - Rennard: may impact on LD activist morale
    - Hancock: may reinforce Rennard impact

All of these could be important come GE15, but probably won't show up in VI polling
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    I thought the Mr Hound (who he?) article a touch over the top.

If I remember rightly, Cameron has lost one of his children; how many children has Mr Hound watched die?
  • Options

I think you and SO should be put on a special committee to grant people 'entity' and 'non-entity' status.

Why would we bother? You seem to have enthusiastically cornered that market.

For the avoidance of doubt, my personal opinion is that winning some celebrity dance bollox doesn't confer specialness or importance upon someone, your personal opinion appears to differ on that. I'm entirely comfortable with that, you, apparently, not so much.

• Options
    CD13 said:

If I remember rightly, Cameron has lost one of his children; how many children has Mr Hound watched die?

Does Mr Hound want Andy Burnham to lose a family member too ?

• Options
    stodge said:

Perhaps but I've seen polls suggesting at least 40% of UKIP voters prefer a Conservative Government so that's my starting point as a way of trying to estimate the maximum potential Conservative vote. This is the basis, I think, of Cameron's UKIP squeeze theory.

Taking as an example the December IPSOS/MORI numbers and applying the above, you'd have the Conservatives and Labour level on 37 (allowing for your argument, we'll make it 38/37 in Labour's favour) which would again be much better for Labour overall.

Once again, we don't know what will happen - will the UKIP vote a) stay with UKIP b) stay at home or c) return to old loyalties ? We can't answer that yet - this time next year, we may have a better idea.

We also don't know if the current Labour vote (solid as it is) is the party's potential maximum. What we do know is that IF Labour polls in the range 37-40% in 2015 it becomes almost impossible for the Conservatives to achieve an overall majority.

I think Labour has a higher potential minimum and a lower potential maximum than the Conservatives. I think at GE2010 that pretty much was the Labour minimum.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

I think Labour has a higher potential minimum and a lower potential maximum than the Conservatives. I think at GE2010 that pretty much was the Labour minimum.
    I'd disagree - Labour got 42% in Scotland and 27% in England in 2010.

Had Brown not held up a sizeable Scottish vote they could have been much lower.

• Options
    I don't think Cameron can tap the potential current maximum however, John Major hit it in 1992. Centrist voters who see the Conservatives as the party of people that want to get on, that's the big 'mine' that is going to go largely untapped at the next GE I think.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Not really - Scotland is, what, 5% of the electorate? So c. 2% of Labour's 29% came from Scotland. Even if their share of the vote had been 21% (half) then it would have only impacted their overall vote share by 1%
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Pulpstar said:

stodge said:

Yes sorry I'd agree Labour was not at a minimum in Scotland, England and Wales yes.

But in a way that is even worse in terms of seats, since if Labour drops in Scotland those seats are heading to the SNP - one or two Conservative gains at the most. Labour doing even better in Scotland and worse in England and Wales would be better for Dave, instead it is the other way round.
  • Options

I think you and SO should be put on a special committee to grant people 'entity' and 'non-entity' status.

Why would we bother? You seem to have enthusiastically cornered that market.

For the avoidance of doubt, my personal opinion is that winning some celebrity dance bollox doesn't confer specialness or importance upon someone, your personal opinion appears to differ on that. I'm entirely comfortable with that, you, apparently, not so much.

No, I'm saying that calling someone who has regular slots on three TV channels (plus radio), appears on Jonathon Ross, and won the audience vote on a TV show at Christmas is not a non-entity. You obviously differ.

It would be interesting to know who you'd consider as being 'entities'.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Today's Populus Lab 40 Con 33 LD 11 UKIP 8 Con up 1 UKIP down 1
  • Options
    Guardian news ‏@guardiannews 5m

Cameron: Romania and Bulgaria immigration levels 'are reasonable' http://gu.com/p/3m7mv/tf
  • Options
    "Cameron said he shared the frustration of those complaining the UK had to lift controls on new arrivals on 1 January under European rules"

No more vacuous, meaningless and irritating statement than someone "sharing your frustration".
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

"Cameron said he shared the frustration of those complaining the UK had to lift controls on new arrivals on 1 January under European rules"

No more vacuous, meaningless and irritating statement than someone "sharing your frustration".

Nah, his backbenchers are bound to take it well. It's not as if they've been postured to and let down before after all.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

Pulpstar said:

Nah, his backbenchers are bound to take it well. It's not as if they've been postured to and let down before after all.
    Indeed :D
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, beg to differ. 'Learning the lessons' is worse.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Remarkably, Labour in 2010 got a lower vote share than the Conservatives in 1997 yet ended up with 90 seats more. The failure of the Conservatives to ruthlessly exploit and split the anti-Tory vote in 2010 as effectively as they had in the 1980s and 1992 cost them a majority. Move 5% from the LD share to the Conservative share from 2010 and Baxter the numbers and you get a Conservative majority of 60+.

There's a lot of talk among the Conservative-inclined on here about getting the Labour number down - what matters is getting the Conservative vote share higher. Polling in the 30-35% range isn't good enough - the party needs to be over 40%. The last four majorities (up to and including 1992) came with shares over 40%. Labour can win a majority by polling 36-38% - the Conservatives can't at present.

• Options

DavidL said:

I'd agree with that SO. The problem is that the population as a whole are very bad at judging whether they are better off or not. This is not surprising. the differences we are talking about are very small, tenths of one per cent. It really is a game for statisticians and economists.

Similarly, many more people will notice prices that have gone up than those which have come down and our media are focussed that way too. We may well have a situation where the vast majority of people are in fact better off than they are now by the election (albeit worse off than they were in 2010) but think that they are worse off.

The evidence that politicians and governments get much credit for good past economic performance is somewhat sparse. More important is peoples' perception of how they are likely to perform in the future. This is of course entirely right.

• Options
    CD13 said:

He is somebody called Robert Simpson, it seems.

Although he appears to have adopted his porn name for commercial purposes (name of first pet followed by type of pet .. which make his porn tastes rather "exotic")
  • Options

Mr. Pulpstar, beg to differ. 'Learning the lessons' is worse.

I have just left a meeting where I used both "I share your frustration" and "learning the lessons".

Does that make me a bad person?
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Pulpstar said:

Have you considered that Cameron might actually mean what he said?

• Options
    I am enjoying Josias's idea that Rufus Hound is a person of substance.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    edited January 2014
    The twitter argument between Hound and Young shows Hound in a very bad light. Young is right to say that had a Ukip politician said what Hound did there would be calls for Farage to disown them, and Hound is showing an appalling lack of judgement to infer that someone whose child died, of all people, would like to see other children suffer the same fate

Maybe Young included 'BBC' in the headline as a dig to associate them with the disgusting comments, but don't let that overshadow what an appalling thing has been said.

I hope Hound makes a public apology and steps down from the euro election

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100256663/bbc-comedian-says-cameron-wants-your-kids-to-die/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    Mr. M, yes. But you shall be forgiven if you post interesting things about the Jerez test.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I'd agree with that SO. The problem is that the population as a whole are very bad at judging whether they are better off or not. This is not surprising. the differences we are talking about are very small, tenths of one per cent. It really is a game for statisticians and economists.

Similarly, many more people will notice prices that have gone up than those which have come down and our media are focussed that way too. We may well have a situation where the vast majority of people are in fact better off than they are now by the election (albeit worse off than they were in 2010) but think that they are worse off.

The evidence that politicians and governments get much credit for good past economic performance is somewhat sparse. More important is peoples' perception of how they are likely to perform in the future. This is of course entirely right.

Looking at historical precedent, the economy grew strongly in 1985 and 1986, but it wasn't until the Autumn of 1986 that this had any impact on the Conservatives' poll ratings.

• Options
    Is the ICM voting intention poll for Westminster, Holyrood, or the EU Parliament?
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Interesting stuff from Robert Peston pointing to the very different approaches of Blair and Miliband.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25910853
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

DavidL - Who'd be a politician? The fact is that most things take a long time to put right, certainly longer than an electoral cycle, or even two or three; and sometimes when you do try to make things better they get worse first. And in the age of 24 hour news, blogs, tweets and all the rest of it, the scrutiny is much greater (worse) than it has ever been before. But that's the world we live in and the one in which politicians choose to operate. Good luck to them!

• Options

I am enjoying Josias's idea that Rufus Hound is a person of substance.

Who's Rufus Hound?

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited January 2014
    Re Rufus Hound, his middle name is Blair, just saying.

Anyone describing Strictly Come Dancing as bollox, well you need to be educated by me on your mistake, before you know it, you'll be saying Hannibal is superior to Caesar.

The phrase that really got on my nerves was "We're helping hard working families"

What about the hard working singletons?

OMG - I'm channelling Bridget Jones.
This discussion has been closed.