Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » People in receipt of state pensions have paid for it over t

Comments

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Pulpstar said:

Quincel said:

My point isn't that De Menezes is the same as Duggan. My point is that I'm eternally surprised at how trust in the police doesn't seem to have been significantly eroded by them whitewashing and denying everything from those cases. The communities who never trusted them (like Duggan's friends and family) still don't, but the 'chattering classes' seem to forever believe that it is just a few bad apples, no matter how long attempted cover-ups go on for. Even Plebgate hasn't made much of a dent.

That's why plebgate got me so riled when it turned out the police had been less than forthright with the truth.
    Agree yet again.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,088

RodCrosby said:

Mother claiming son was "executed"....

Laurie Penny is claiming "murdered". I wouldn't trust the police to judge a knobbly knees contest, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over what happened to Mark Duggan.
    It was his Aunt, the ginger lady, that said he had been executed... she definitely said it, just seen it on Sky News
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    taffys said:

Doreen Lawrence's phone must be ringing off the hook....

I should imagine she is mortified that the cases are being linked.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    Jason Groves ‏@JasonGroves1 7m

#Duggan supporter outside court tells @SkyNews: 'The people who do need to hide know who they are...'

Charming.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

#Duggan supporter outside court tells @SkyNews: 'The people who do need to hide know who they are...'

Charming.

It does rather confirm that the jury came to the right conclusion.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,034
    I thought Mrs Mensch was being a bit of an OTT numpty when she tweeted:

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 21m
    Labour's police-blaming over the tragic death of an armed, gun-toting gang member reminds me again why I am a Conservative. #Duggan

But Diane Abbot obliges

Labour MP .@HackneyAbbott tells @BBCNews: "My heart goes out to the Duggan family... tonight there will be questions asked."

Errm ok then...
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    If the BBC told the truth about the gang culture in London this conversation would be very different.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    SeanT said:

State Pensions are a benefit, everyone gets them whether they contribute or not, just like tax credits, child benefits, JSA, whatever.

Next threader, please.

The basic state pension is certainly 100% a benefit..
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    >implying the current generation of pensioners haven't had the best possible deal out of the state
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Sean_F said:

Charming.

I took it that guy meant "those who have something to hide know who they are" as he had just said "we have nothing to hide"...

Maybe I am being too kind, but he was obviously distressed.

That said, the "No justice, No Peace" chants don't augur well... what I found strange was some of the family laughing as they walked off
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539
    AveryLP said:

The question we need to answer in the Duggan inquest is not whether we trust the Police but whether we trust the jury and respect its decision.

I doubt whether Duggan's family would have been so prepared to criticise the jury and its decision had the verdict been one of unlawful killing.

Of course I did not hear the evidence but it seems to me that the jury have considered this very carefully and reached a reasonable decision which by no means absolves the police of blame but on the other hand contains the rather useful message that they are entitled to be very cautious with a known criminal who is thought to be armed (with very good reason).

• Options
    That met briefing is chaos!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    MrJones said:

If the BBC told the truth about the gang culture in London this conversation would be very different.

BBC - Mark Duggan's mother and aunt: "He wasn't a gangster"

I wonder how Duggan came to the attention of Trident Gang Crime Command and had a gun with him at the time in a London taxi?

hihttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-25657949
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

They aren't. But all Doreen's pronouncements since ennoblement are the same old aggressive apologism from 'the black community' ie they are the victims, they are never to blame, nothing is ever their fault, allowances must always be made, they are inherently disadvantaged.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    MrJones said:

Like you tell the truth about "bankstas"?
  • Options
    taffys said:

They aren't. But all Doreen's pronouncements since ennoblement are the same old aggressive apologism from 'the black community' ie they are the victims, they are never to blame, nothing is ever their fault, allowances must always be made, they are inherently disadvantaged.

Well if she has any sense she will avoid this one like the plague.

• Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Just reading today's Current Bun (found it on the train, honest guv). The main political story on page 2 is a report that the PM is thinking about raising the minimum wage by £1 an hour. Either @MaxPB has the ear of Tory strategists or else Tory strategists read this blog.

Bts I am a long time lurker and occasional poster who finds this site much more congenial now that "tim" has gone.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    edited January 2014
    isam said:

Sean_F said:

Charming.

I took it that guy meant "those who have something to hide know who they are" as he had just said "we have nothing to hide"...

Maybe I am being too kind, but he was obviously distressed.

That said, the "No justice, No Peace" chants don't augur well... what I found strange was some of the family laughing as they walked off
    I hope that wasn't a threat to the jury members.

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    rcs1000 said:

MrJones said:

Like you tell the truth about "bankstas"?
    The cost of the 1998-2008 boom-bust cycle can be summed up by the profit or loss from the sale of RBS shares?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought Mrs Mensch was being a bit of an OTT numpty when she tweeted:

Louise Mensch ‏@LouiseMensch 21m
    Labour's police-blaming over the tragic death of an armed, gun-toting gang member reminds me again why I am a Conservative. #Duggan

But Diane Abbot obliges

Labour MP .@HackneyAbbott tells @BBCNews: "My heart goes out to the Duggan family... tonight there will be questions asked."

Errm ok then...

Given the jury's full verdict can you explain what the problem is with what Dianne Abbott has said there? I am struggling to see it myself, though I am far from being Dianne's greatest fan.

Louise Mensch's Tweet is, of course, entirely predictable in its dishonesty.

• Options
    Satin suit, shirt and tie coupled with a Mohawk is quite an edgy look.
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Just reading today's Current Bun (found it on the train, honest guv). The main political story on page 2 is a report that the PM is thinking about raising the minimum wage by £1 an hour. Either @MaxPB has the ear of Tory strategists or else Tory strategists read this blog.

Bts I am a long time lurker and occasional poster who finds this site much more congenial now that "tim" has gone.

Tosser.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    The Duggan jury verdict seems to me to strike the right balance.

They believe the police made mistakes in terms of intelligence but accept that within the terms of split second decisions made in the context of armed criminality that the police acted lawfully.
  • Options
    The Mash on fixed odds terminals..

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/gambling-machines-the-stock-market-for-poor-people-2014010882382

"Responding to Labour’s accusations that they are fuelling poverty, betting shop owners said they were merely offering working class equivalent of City trading.

Bookie Roy Hobbs said: “People who go to private school get to gamble on the stock exchange, where they shout at monitors, take cocaine in the bogs and then enjoy lobster dinners with Estonian prostitutes.

“This is the closest that unshaven smelly men can get to throwing billions into the lap of the gods with little regard for the consequences."
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    You can't make it up...

Mohican'd muppet on Sky claiming "Establishment" were looking for a scapecoat. "Someone had to pay for the riots..."
  • Options

Satin suit, shirt and tie coupled with a Mohawk is quite an edgy look.

Yes, but what shoes is TSE wearing ?!?

• Options

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

You trying to fill the gap left by the loser whatshisname ?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

The question we need to answer in the Duggan inquest is not whether we trust the Police but whether we trust the jury and respect its decision.

I doubt whether Duggan's family would have been so prepared to criticise the jury and its decision had the verdict been one of unlawful killing.

Of course I did not hear the evidence but it seems to me that the jury have considered this very carefully and reached a reasonable decision which by no means absolves the police of blame but on the other hand contains the rather useful message that they are entitled to be very cautious with a known criminal who is thought to be armed (with very good reason).

The scenes outside the RCJ are quite disturbing and it appears to me as if the immediate intention of the Duggan family and their supporters is to rally support for 'community action' against the verdict.

They have had plenty of time to prepare for all the eventual outcomes of the inquest. Few people would want to deny the family their legal rights of appeal, but this doesn't appear the course they wish to follow. It is not in the nature of the game.

• Options
    Now here's a U-turn -

'Labour heavyweight Ed Balls today dramatically revealed he could work in a coalition with Nick Clegg, after years of hurling abuse at the Lib Dem leader.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535973/Now-Ed-Balls-says-COULD-coalition-Nick-Clegg-years-attacking-Lib-Dem-leader.html
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

Showing your true colours SO.. You used to be the voice of reasoned argument..
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Can't people just let tim alone? He's not posting, big deal.

• Options
    taffys said:

Every single one? Blimey.

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    pbr2013 said:

Either @MaxPB has the ear of Tory strategists or else Tory strategists read this blog.

The Tories have been considering this as a strategy for months. Policy Exchange or one of the other think tanks did work on it that came out last conference season.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

The scenes outside the RCJ are quite disturbing and it appears to me as if the immediate intention of the Duggan family and their supporters is to rally support for 'community action' against the verdict.

They have had plenty of time to prepare for all the eventual outcomes of the inquest. Few people would want to deny the family their legal rights of appeal, but this doesn't appear the course they wish to follow. It is not in the nature of the game.

Is there a right of appeal against the findings of an inquest jury?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

Now here's a U-turn -

'Labour heavyweight Ed Balls today dramatically revealed he could work in a coalition with Nick Clegg, after years of hurling abuse at the Lib Dem leader.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2535973/Now-Ed-Balls-says-COULD-coalition-Nick-Clegg-years-attacking-Lib-Dem-leader.html

Those betting on a Labour overall majority should consider the implications of that article, and what it says about Ed Balls's views of an outright victory, carefully.
  • Options
    on topic - I dont see the rationale for separating out the basic state pension from other contributory benefits. People in receipt of, say, ESA paid for this through their national insurance contribution record in exactly the same way as people in receipt of the basic state pension did. You could, if you wanted, differentiate between contributory benefits and non-contributory benefits but what would the point be? There is no rationale for cutting the latter before the former. If the Tories want to slash benefit expenditure *and* not screw pensioners any more than they have done to date then it's going to be tough.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,539

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

Well I thought it was funny.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

I have some sympathy with SO's aims, but agree with you that his response to pbr2013's post may not be the best way of achieving them.

My suggestion is that PBers club together to finance the provision of counselling services to the subject and hope that such an offer of assistance might yield better and quicker results.

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “Boris Wants Water Cannon For London's Streets”

I wonder if this and the Duggan verdict are connected..! : )

http://news.sky.com/story/1192141/boris-wants-water-cannon-for-londons-streets
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

I'm guessing the courts will be even tougher than they were after the previous riots, should any idiots decide to torch Tottenham again.

• Options
    antifrank said:

Now here's a U-turn -

Those betting on a Labour overall majority should consider the implications of that article, and what it says about Ed Balls's views of an outright victory, carefully.
    He doesn't think there'll be one, and he thinks Clegg will still be in situ when the music stops?

• Options

pbr2013 said:

Tim is the opium of the PB Hodges, they just cannot let him go. He is probably pissing himself with all the posts the Hodges are posting about him. And to think, they used to laugh at the number of posts he did. Oh, the utter irony.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

Now here's a U-turn -

He doesn't think there'll be one, and he thinks Clegg will still be in situ when the music stops?

That would be the gist of how I read it. I'm always slightly scared when I agree with Ed Balls.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

Now here's a U-turn -

Clearly Balls has been in touch with my ARSE, the latest outpouring of which has moved Labour closer to the Conservatives in a hung parliament.

• Options
    DavidL said:

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

Well I thought it was funny.

At least one person gets it. There is hope. Thank-you!!!!

• Options
    Rioting Nailed On

norman smith ‏@BBCNormanS 1m

Tottenham MP @DavidLammy says he does not believe there will be any repeat of rioting that followed the death of #duggan
  • Options
    Bloody hell, Lee Jasper is weighing in!
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Tosser.

Good solid reasoned argument there, Mr. O. Or was it a light hearted anecdote. Either way a terrific contribution guaranteed to get more people posting on the site. Perhaps, not quite up to your usual standards? Hmmm?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Every single one? Blimey.

Fair enough. Maybe it just feels like it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

Is there a right of appeal against the findings of an inquest jury?
    I am sure there will be but it is likely to be on the basis of law and process rather than fact.

I expect LIAMT to know and no doubt he will instruct us accordingly and in due course.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,105
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

on topic - I dont see the rationale for separating out the basic state pension from other contributory benefits. People in receipt of, say, ESA paid for this through their national insurance contribution record in exactly the same way as people in receipt of the basic state pension did. You could, if you wanted, differentiate between contributory benefits and non-contributory benefits but what would the point be? There is no rationale for cutting the latter before the former. If the Tories want to slash benefit expenditure *and* not screw pensioners any more than they have done to date then it's going to be tough.

I wondered if the move to the fixed state pension was to start the decoupling of the state pension from contributions, in preparation for calling it a 'benefit', tthen shifting it to means-testing like all the other "welfare = baaad" stuff. But it seems it will still be linked to contributions, at least initially, even if the details are not yet clear. It would also help to clear the way for a merger of NI and income tax. Yet either would be a brave act for a Tory party which relies disproportionately on the elderly vote.

• Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014
    SeanT said:

pbr2013 said:

Tim is the opium of the PB Hodges, they just cannot let him go. He is probably pissing himself with all the posts the Hodges are posting about him. And to think, they used to laugh at the number of posts he did. Oh, the utter irony.
    Yeah, but he still ran away crying, and has not returned, when I gave him a taste of his own medicine, didn't he?

Heh.
    How do you run away from a mesageboard? If he can't be arsed posting, I assume he wont post. I have can never understand this messageboard. People think you get some kind of credibility, by posting a few words on a messageboard, and if you don't, you are running away. What next, medals next to peoples names to show who is a "Super Poster". Bizarre. It's like being in school.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

I wondered if the move to the fixed state pension was to start the decoupling of the state pension from contributions, in preparation for calling it a 'benefit', tthen shifting it to means-testing like all the other "welfare = baaad" stuff.

One of the aims of the new single-tier state pension is to reduce means-testing (though it does that mostly by simply abolishing the savings credit).
    Carnyx said:

It would also help to clear the way for a merger of NI and income tax.

The holy grail of tax policy - it's not going to happen!
  • Options
    isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

Tottenham MP @DavidLammy says he does not believe there will be any repeat of rioting that followed the death of #duggan

Seriously, though, there must be a high chance of rioting. I think it's going to be a bit dicey over the next few nights.
  • Options

SeanT said:

pbr2013 said:

Yeah, but he still ran away crying, and has not returned, when I gave him a taste of his own medicine, didn't he?

Heh.
    How do you run away from a mesageboard? If he can't be arsed posting, I assume he wont post. I have can never understand this messageboard. People think you get some kind of credibility, by posting a few words on a messageboard, and if you don't, you are running away. What next, medals next to peoples names to show who is a "Super Poster". Bizarre. It's like being in school.
    My only surprise is that you're surprised. At the end of the day, commercial software needs to be sold, and the more infantile the buyer is, the easier it is to make a sale. Mind you, I am warming to the idea of restricting the franchise to those who can demonstrate emotional maturity. On such a basis, I reckon all the General Election counting would be over by 11 o'clock easily.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Another US helicopter crash, this time in the states.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-25659531#TWEET1007276

Whats wrong with all these helicopters dropping like flies; remember the Scottish crash recently.

Blimey! I hope the Day of the Triffids hasn't begun.
  • Options

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

Seriously, though, there must be a high chance of rioting. I think it's going to be a bit dicey over the next few nights.
    Looks like Boris will be a few months too late with the water cannons he has ordered for London that arrive in the Summer.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Who or what is this tim?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

I agree. Tensions will be running high in Tottenham, already reeling, after Spurs exit from the Cup.
  • Options

Who or what is this tim?

And still it goes on....
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    taffys said:

I don't think that's fair. She made some thoughtful and intelligent comments about the disadvantages which white working class boys face a few months back.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    compouter1.. Is that an answer?
  • Options

compouter1.. Is that an answer?

No, it was a fact

• Options

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

Looks like Boris will be a few months too late with the water cannons he has ordered for London that arrive in the Summer.
    It might still be the first bath the rioters get since the verdict, compouter.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

I don't think that's fair. She made some thoughtful and intelligent comments about the disadvantages which white working class boys face a few months back.

Doreen Lawrence is just one of a few public figures who attract inexplicable levels of negativity on pbc. Fairness doesnt come into it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Doreen Lawrence is just one of a few public figures who attract inexplicable levels of negativity on pbc. Fairness doesnt come into it.
    Neil. Quite right,

She's black, isn't she?
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    "Is there a right of appeal against the findings of an inquest jury?"

One of the grown-ups will be along shortly t give us chapter and verse, but I am not sure there is except on the grounds of misdirection or abuse of process by the coroner. Furthermore, I am not sure there should be. The Coroners court is an inquest not an adversarial court. If a jury's verdict is open to appeal on gorunds that they got it wrong why bother with it in the first place.

Oddly enough that used to be the position in the Criminal law until relatively recently. If the idea of a jury is for 12 ordinary people to decide on the evidence of the facts is held to be good enough why, unless there was evidence unlawfully withheld from them or the Judge directed them wrongly, should there be a right of appeal from their decision. If a panel of judges can do a better job, then let the case go before them to start with and save the time and costs. Denning had quite a lot to say on the point as I recall.

Mind you the whole system of appeals in law is, in my view, bizarre. If so many cases go to appeal after appeal up through the chain justice is not served only the lawyers. See "Uncommon Law" by J.P.Herbert for details.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

If people riot when there's a shooting and then riot when the jury don't give them the answer they want, then it's little wonder that they end up "disadvantaged". However I hope there is no rioting in Tottenham or anywhere else. It's only the poor and vulnerable who suffer in such situations, just as they did last time.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    The fact is that the state pension is an entitlement based on the contributory principle.At the moment working-age income from the state is not.This is where Mike is right.
    John Cruddas floated this idea within the Labour party for the contributory principle to be introduced for working age income but it seems to have been dropped.The contributory system means if you put in a bit more you get a bit more back,above a basic income.This genuinely rewards work.
    It's about give and take,yin and yang,rights and responsibilities-this should be Labour's language.
  • Options

The fact is that the state pension is an entitlement based on the contributory principle.At the moment working-age income from the state is not.This is where Mike is right.

No, that's wrong, plenty of working age benefits are an entitlement based on the contributory principle.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Neil said:

Cyclefree said:

taffys said:

Neil. Quite right,

She's black, isn't she?
    She is Avery, 10 out of 10 for observation.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

I agree. Tensions will be running high in Tottenham, already reeling, after Spurs exit from the Cup.

They all support Arsenal, Liverpool and Man Utd in Tottenham these days. All the Spurs fans live in other parts of London, Essex and Herts.

• Options
    Is Tim a Boy Scout? What badges does he have?
  • Options

Bloody hell, Lee Jasper is weighing in!

Who'd have thought it?

• Options
    Nick Clegg may have just broken the internet, he's just tweeted

"Ed Balls"
  • Options

"Ed Balls"

Perhaps he hit "post" too early, and meant to add "........is a?"

• Options

"Ed Balls"

718 re-tweets. Will be interesting to find out why.
  • Options
    Don't misunderestimate Clegg's tweet:

Danye West ‏@daniel_westwood 1m

Now voting Lib Dem. Bravo @nick_clegg
  • Options

"Ed Balls"

Some have posted his account was hacked. I could think of quite a few other things that could have been posted if it has been.
  • Options
    Re overturning an inquest, reading about the Hillsborough inquests, an application has to be made to the high court to quash the original verdict because of there is new evidence, or that the original coroner erred in law or fact.
  • Options

"Ed Balls"

I think he was premature

Twitter users are celebrating Ed Balls Day by tweeting his name.

The politician became the subject of the 'Ed Balls' meme when he posted his own name and nothing else two years ago on April 28, 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/fun/news/a476873/ed-balls-day-mp-joins-in-with-meme-as-twitter-users-tweet-ed-balls.html
  • Options
    Sara Paul ‏@SaraPaul92 4m

Clegg is such a g I love this class
  • Options
    antifrank said:

antifrank said:

Now here's a U-turn -

That would be the gist of how I read it. I'm always slightly scared when I agree with Ed Balls.
    Don't you two also agree about which football team to support?
  • Options
    compouter1compouter1 Posts: 642
    edited January 2014

"Ed Balls"

I think he was premature

Twitter users are celebrating Ed Balls Day by tweeting his name.

The politician became the subject of the 'Ed Balls' meme when he posted his own name and nothing else two years ago on April 28, 2011.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/fun/news/a476873/ed-balls-day-mp-joins-in-with-meme-as-twitter-users-tweet-ed-balls.html
    He can't even get that right. Getting about five re-tweets a second at the moment up to 1537.
  • Options
    Paddy Power's ill-advised venture into North Korean politics just keeps on getting weirder, Rodman sings happy birthday to the fat little dictator:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/rodman-sings-happy-birthday-to-north-korean-leader-1.1648254

Stupidest marketing stunt of the decade by Paddy Power?
  • Options

pbr2013 said:

Tosser.

Erm. I think you'll find SO was making a joke. Once you get that it is actually a very funny comment and certainly not intended to insult :-)
  • Options
    Neil said:

Paddy Power's ill-advised venture into North Korean politics just keeps on getting weirder, Rodman sings happy birthday to the fat little dictator:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/rodman-sings-happy-birthday-to-north-korean-leader-1.1648254

This story makes people go weird, I kid you not, the headline on Sky News was

"Can Dennis Rodman Change North Korea?"

http://news.sky.com/story/1192025/can-dennis-rodman-change-north-korea
  • Options
    Neil said:

Did another bookie have a market on : Dennis Rodman to enter North Korea and sing happy birthday to Kim Jong Un at some ridiculous price :D ?

Only bookie I can imagine with that sort of crackers market would be Paddy - which is the point of the stunt I guess ^_~
  • Options
    Would a Kaiser Chiefs themed nighthawks tonight be tasteless?
  • Options

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

Might be a bit cold and wet for rioting - normally happens in the summer doesn't it?
  • Options

Heh Nah, Clegg's tweet is welcome light relief from today's very serious events.
  • Options

Every day your threads get worse and worse....

• Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    The statement "I have paid for my pension with NI" does not remotely equate.
    I am not at state pension age,but stopped working( and NI) at age 55,my State pension forecast is £12k/annum.
    To provide this level would require at least a £200K pot for an annuity,and this is for a non RPI linked annuity. I never contributed anything like enough NI to build up a £200K+ pot.RPI linking may require a pot of £300K
    It clearly is a benefit.
    Also I am not relying on this pension as I suspect sooner or later some will be means tested away from me.
  • Options
    jayfdee said:

The statement "I have paid for my pension with NI" does not remotely equate.

It does for some people. It doesnt for others. Everyone's circumstances are different.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Every day your threads get worse and worse....

Nah, wait until I do a Rick Astley themed one.
  • Options

isam said:

Rioting Nailed On

No chance, they won't riot in this weather.

It will be Spring at the earliest before it kicks off.
  • Options
    Which reminds me.

We never hear anything from Rick Astley these days.

It's almost like he's given us up, and let us down.
  • Options
    o/t - Trekking through the jungle that is Ladbroke's website I see they have a market on UKIP's next leader. I hadnt noticed this commented on before:

http://sportsbeta.ladbrokes.com/Next-UKIP-Leader/Politics-N-1z0x8s0Z1z141ne/

Surely Nuttall is the value here?
  • Options
    Oh my, Ed Balls has replied

Ed Balls ‏@edballsmp 2m

I agree with Nick... RT @nick_clegg: Ed Balls
This discussion has been closed.