Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » People in receipt of state pensions have paid for it over t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,768
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » People in receipt of state pensions have paid for it over the years – they are not on benefits

Eighteen months ago I started to receive my state pension after I’d deferred it for a year. Before this was granted there were checks that I had made the contributions during the 45 years that I was in paid employment. It was only after that check that the money stated to come every four weeks.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    I agree with Mike.

Am I first?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    isam said:

I agree with Mike.

Am I first?

To agree with Mike? Yes, I'd have thought so :-)

• Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,168
    edited January 2014
    You could say the same about people who work for years then lose their jobs and end up on unemployment benefit. In other systems the payments they'd made would be called "unemployment insurance". The problem with the way people talk about this isn't that they think of pensions as benefits, it's that they think of benefits as scrounging.

That said, there's a political case for the Tories to push a phrasing that would separate out the money they want to pay their elderly supporters from the money they want to stop paying younger non-supporters, in the same way that Republicans have somehow got people routinely talking about "non-defence discretionary expenditure".
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Mike is wrong in that 'I have paid for pensions over the years' Pensions are paid out of current taxation,, there is no 'pot of money' with Mr Smithson's name on it, or anyone else's.

There is a element of contributions of course, but that seems to be increasing lessened with pension credits etc, and the state pensions seemingly moving to a more 'flat' basis.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,095
    edited January 2014
    Osborne could halve the welfare budget and double the benefits cuts at the stroke of a pen...

One question though - Would/Is State pension be paid if you were unemployed your whole working life ?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    "I had made the contributions during the 45 years that I was in paid employment..."

Poor bastard. ;-)
  • Options
    Hear hear - saving for your retirement via pensions has a bad enough name without buggering up the state pension too...

A think tank this morning suggested making the state pension means-tested for gawd's sake!
  • Options
    ojcorbsojcorbs Posts: 30
    Labour MP Paul Goggins has died:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25652620
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,114
    edited January 2014
    What is attendance allowance?

Edit: Found it, and knew that already
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited January 2014
    Surely the solution is to privatise the state pension.

Then the govt can't get their filthy hands on it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    TGOHF said:

All well and good till Crapita, G4Shit, Serfco need a bailout as they've done the sums wrong.

I suppose they could have their ROI limited to 5% on the deal by regulators.

And what a 5% it would be. If they screw up. No worries, whichever Gov't is in will have to bail them out.

The bank bailouts have shown us that when push comes to shove the profits are privatised and losses nationalised. I WISH it were the other way round, that companies actually had some risk for their ROI but they don't and that is that.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I agree with Mike.

Am I first?

Ha .. re you post on the last thread, I agree with your reasoning but I just don't think UKIP have a 33% chance of winning that seat, and probably more importantly, reckon a bookie will go bigger than 2/1!

But I hope I am wrong, they select Paul Nuttall (although a scouser in Manchester?), and win

Saying that, I have been trying to make an excel program for by elections, and if

Lab, Con and Lib all lost 50% of their vote
    BNP lost 75% of their vote
    UKIP kept all of theirs, and got all the disaffected BNPs, 22% of disaffected Tories, 15% of LDs, and 15% of Labs,

I think it would be a toss up between Lab and UKIP

Lab 32.5
    UKIP 32.3
    Cons 18.8
    LDs 16.4

(obv that comes to 100%)

If we all put our heads together and came up with percentages, the wisdom of the crowd should beat the bookie!!
  • Options
    I mentioned this the other night, it is official now

Voters should be required to show ID at polling stations in Great Britain to tighten up the security of the voting process, the elections watchdog has said.

The Electoral Commission will now develop detailed proposals for how the scheme should work.

Evidence collected by the Commission in its review of electoral fraud revealed that fraud is not widespread in the UK but, despite this, a significant proportion of the public remain concerned that it is taking place.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-reviews-and-research/id-needed-at-polling-stations,-recommends-independent-watchdog
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam said:

I agree with Mike.

Am I first?

Ha .. re you post on the last thread, I agree with your reasoning but I just don't think UKIP have a 33% chance of winning that seat, and probably more importantly, reckon a bookie will go bigger than 2/1!

But I hope I am wrong, they select Paul Nuttall (although a scouser in Manchester?), and win

Saying that, I have been trying to make an excel program for by elections, and if

Lab, Con and Lib all lost 50% of their vote
    BNP lost 75% of their vote
    UKIP kept all of theirs, and got all the disaffected BNPs, 22% of disaffected Tories, 15% of LDs, and 15% of Labs,

I think it would be a toss up between Lab and UKIP

Lab 32.5
    UKIP 32.3
    Cons 18.8
    LDs 16.4

(obv that comes to 100%)

If we all put our heads together and came up with percentages, the wisdom of the crowd should beat the bookie!!
    Nuttall would be a perfect candidate for this seat.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,076
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Mr. Eagles, that seems like an odd move given postal voting is what really needs addressing.
  • Options
    Mike will be pleased to know that the state pension is classed as 'earned income' on Sage tax return software no doubt. Well away from dirty money like JSA etc
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

If the medical advances I read about are even half true, Pensions are going to be a huge and very emotive issue in the future. And not the distant future either.

• Options

Voters should be required to show ID at polling stations in Great Britain to tighten up the security of the voting process, the elections watchdog has said.

The Electoral Commission will now develop detailed proposals for how the scheme should work.

Evidence collected by the Commission in its review of electoral fraud revealed that fraud is not widespread in the UK but, despite this, a significant proportion of the public remain concerned that it is taking place.

http://www.electoralcommission.org.uk/i-am-a/journalist/electoral-commission-media-centre/news-releases-reviews-and-research/id-needed-at-polling-stations,-recommends-independent-watchdog

My mate told me he could vote twice as he is a student.... But his constituencies are a way apart. Postal vote checks ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

All well and good till Crapita, G4Shit, Serfco need a bailout as they've done the sums wrong.

I suppose they could have their ROI limited to 5% on the deal by regulators.

And what a 5% it would be. If they screw up. No worries, whichever Gov't is in will have to bail them out.

The bank bailouts have shown us that when push comes to shove the profits are privatised and losses nationalised. I WISH it were the other way round, that companies actually had some risk for their ROI but they don't and that is that.
    Yes but without £83Bn required per annum from the govt to pay pensions would tend to zero.

How about the Swiss idea of giving everyone one benefit and cancelling all others ?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-25415501

• Options
    People that have not been in permanent employment also get the basic state pension, don't they? My mother-in-law gets one and she stopped working when she got married in 1947. It's hard to see how that is not welfare.

Presumably Mike was assessed for the top up portion of the pension he gets. That was at least partially privatised some time ago, I believe (SERPs?)
  • Options

About time - you need ID to pick up a parcel - why not vote.

Doesn't solve some of the postal voting issues though.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,114
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

My mate told me he could vote twice as he is a student.... But his constituencies are a way apart. Postal vote checks ?
    I thought he could vote twice in local elections, but not in two different parliamentary elections?

Edit: I'm right, no surprise.

Can I vote twice, at home and at uni?

You can’t vote twice in:

a UK Parliamentary, Scottish Parliamentary, National Assembly for Wales or European Parliamentary election.
    But you can vote in local government elections at home and at your term-time address, as long as they are not in the same local government area.

- See more at: http://www.aboutmyvote.co.uk/register_to_vote/students.aspx#sthash.B1lsAqbR.dpuf

• Options
    What would be interesting to find out is what UKIP were polling on the daily YouGov on the day of the Eastleigh/S Shields//Rotherham etc by elections and compare it to the actual result in those constituencies

That might help our decision on what price they should be in W&SE
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,168

The ID proposal is for post-2015, but stopping parties collecting postal votes is supposed to happen soon. The parties will need to have friends set up non-partisan organsiations to turn out their demographics quick.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

Wythenshawe and Sale East 2012 local elections

Labour 57%
    Tory 22%
    LD 6.75%
    UKIP 6.25%
    Green 6.2%
    TUSC 0.9%

As it looks like the LD vote is pre-squeezed i'd guess the max would be something like 1/3 Labour which is 19 leaving 38, plus say 1/2 the Cons is 11 and the original 6 would give 38 vs 36 for Labour (with maybe up to another 4 to Labour from LDs and Greens) so maybe 40 vs 36.

(Entirely meaningless unless you know the actual make-up of the Labour voters of course - which i don't).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,348
    edited January 2014
    The chart at the top of the thread misses out Tax credits - the most generous benefit of all.

Single parent with 2 children earning £10,000 gross. Net cash in their pocket = £20,000 - ie they get £10,000 of benefits, mainly tax credits.

Contrast with single person on state pension + pension credit who gets £7,000 total.

It's an absolute scandal - numbers are so breathtaking nobody could believe them when I revealed them on this site last year.

The big area to make savings is by cutting Tax credits.

Yet nobody talks about them because the pundits don't understand them. So lots of talk about Child benefit (less than £2,000 for 2 children) when some people are getting miles, miles more in Tax credits.
  • Options

Mike will be pleased to know that the state pension is classed as 'earned income' on Sage tax return software no doubt. Well away from dirty money like JSA etc

Although someone on JSA could easily have paid much more in income tax and NI than someone on a basic state pension.

• Options
    MikeL said:

The chart at the top of the thread misses out Tax credits - the most generous benefit of all.

Single parent with 2 children earning £10,000 gross. Net cash in their pocket = £20,000 - ie they get £10,000 of benefits, mainly tax credits.

Contrast with single person on state pension + pension credit who gets £7,000 total.

It's an absolute scandal - numbers are so breathtaking nobody could believe them when I revealed them on this thread last year.

What is the annual spend on tax credits ?
  • Options
    I can see how you might resent it but I don't think it's unreasonable to include it as part of the benefits budget. For better or worse state pensions are pay as you go. So you didn't pay into your state pension 'pot' any more than I'm paying into mine. Working age people are currently paying your pension and I hope and expect that the people coming after me when I retire will do the same. Because it's all tied up with current expenditure and income I don't think it's in any way possible to separate it from other benefits.

In any case you can make the same case for Jobseekers Allowance. Someone could pay tax and NI for 20 years ('paying in' in your definition) and then be made redundant and claim JSA. Are they not on benefits - where does that analogy end? What about their housing benefit while they are on JSA?

How over 65s have been affected by benefit cuts I think is now a live issue. Even some Conservatives like Tim Montgomerie were calling yesterday for a more equitable balance between working and retired people. I think this will be a thorny problem that's unlikely to go away.
  • Options

Under which government spending heading does 'tax credits' come?
  • Options
    Mike you may be right that the state pension is not a benefit. You are, however, definitely wrong that anyone has ever paid for it. That is, I'm afraid, the very nature of unfunded pay-as-you-go pension promises.

The tax people pay over a lifetime does cover expenditure of the state - we run deficits. The money you paid in tax went on teachers, hospitals and debt service. There is no hypothecation so it is entirely correct to say that only a share of all public spending, incl pensions, has been paid for. We borrow. Our children will pay for it.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    OGH: - “Yet according to many politicians I am now on benefits. This I resent.”

And rightly so imho. - et al’,so when did pensions first become lumped together in this fashion?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,493
    And if someone doesn't get the full pension, they receive a lot of other top-up benefits instead. If you're going to get the income whether you've paid for it or not, it is a benefit.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Tim Montgomerie @TimMontgomerie
    Follow
    I agree with Nick Clegg. It would be unjust to balance budget on backs of lower income, working aged people. Hope Tories will clarify soon.

OGH - Do you agree with Nick ?

Or do we tax the rich till the pips squeak Hollandais sauce style. Not an option if the venerable Nabavi is to be believed.

More cuts ?
    How do we balance the budget !?

One thing - the state pension age should by now be at 80 I reckon. Life expectancy when it was introduced was ~ 3 years or so (Over 65) I think.

It is a failure of politicians throughout the decades to up the age at all in line with life expectancy that is leading to the shock now.
  • Options
    personally I think we should call them state handouts!!
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    Mike, the problem isn't that pensions are viewed as a benefit, but that they are unaffordable as the population continues to age. The pension age needs to go up faster, and we need to move towards a minimum state pension which is lower and individual pension plans that one pays into over a lifetime of work.
  • Options
    Welcome to the site, Mr. London.

Younger people may have a wildly different view. We/they will be working for far longer, getting pensions at an older age and receiving far less. People of middling age (say, 50s now) will be in trouble too, paying to look after parents with dementia as well as trying to help out children getting onto the housing ladder or suchlike.

Issues such as tuition fees will also antagonise younger generations, as they see those now 70+ having enjoyed free education and cushy pensions that the youth of today can only dream of.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

You do realise that when a bank is bailed out, then it is the customers - that is, the depositors who have lent their money to the bank - who are the ones who are bailed out.

Would you rather that RBS was allowed to go bust, and people who had their life savings there lost them? Or that businesses who banked their would have been unable to make payroll?
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    MikeL said:

It's an absolute scandal - numbers are so breathtaking nobody could believe them when I revealed them on this site last year.

Yet nobody talks about them because the pundits don't understand them. So lots of talk about Child benefit (less than £2,000 for 2 children) when some people are getting miles, miles more in Tax credits.

The presentation is not helped by the National Accounts treating tax credits as "negative tax" (i.e. they are netted off government revenues) rather than government expenditure.

This will change with the introduction of Universal Credit and consequent ONS reclassifications.

But until this happens the existence of the cost of tax credits is 'near invisible' in government accounts.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,783
    Mike, you and all past generations elected politicians of all stripes who spent the money you were paying. There is no fund. That means that you are dependent on the charity of the current generation of taxpayers for your pension. That is welfare.

All politicians have been guilty of creating this ponzi scheme but those that were responsible for borrowing excessive sums as well as running up these contingent liabilities are the most culpable. What moral rights does anyone who voted Labour in the years 2001-2010 have to a pension paid for by a generation coming into work burdened with debts they will not be able to pay off by the time they retired? None. It is a question of consequences.

Think of those that invested their pensions with Madoff. That is what the British taxpayer has been doing for the last 50 years. Like his victims you have no enforceable rights.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,269
    They may well have been paying contributions but those contributions were spent years ago. All they've got is a promise that the government of the day will honour promises made years earlier. And as we've seen in other European countries, if there's no money the promises are worthless.

It would be better if the money paid was ring-fenced in a fund and properly invested but governments, alas, want to get their hands on the money now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

You do realise that when a bank is bailed out, then it is the customers - that is, the depositors who have lent their money to the bank - who are the ones who are bailed out.

Would you rather that RBS was allowed to go bust, and people who had their life savings there lost them? Or that businesses who banked their would have been unable to make payroll?
    I'm saying when push comes to shove unfortunately the banks have to be bailed out - they are guaranteed by the state. Privatisation of the State pension would be no different. Or are we to see old people starve ?
  • Options
    Cameron claims the floods are climate change related:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25656426

Of course they are. The global warming types remind me of Mr. India from Goodness Gracious Me (who claimed everything good originated in India).

Hot weather - climate change!
    Cold weather - climate change!
    Floods - climate change!
    Drought - climate change!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm saying when push comes to shove unfortunately the banks have to be bailed out - they are guaranteed by the state. Privatisation of the State pension would be no different. Or are we to see old people starve ?
    I'm addressing your specific point about banks not suffering the consequences of their actions. When clearly the management and shareholders of banks *did* suffer the consequences of their decisions: the shareholders of Northern Rock lost all their money; at HBOS and RBS it was more than 95%; and at Lloyds it was more than 80%. In each case, management got pushed out too.

In what way were losses not taken by the private sector?
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900

Good news!
  • Options

Of course they are. The global warming types remind me of Mr. India from Goodness Gracious Me (who claimed everything good originated in India).

Floods - climate change!

Cameron 'suspects'

What a numpty. What an absolute shower of shit our PM is.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I'm addressing your specific point about banks not suffering the consequences of their actions. When clearly the management and shareholders of banks *did* suffer the consequences of their decisions: the shareholders of Northern Rock lost all their money; at HBOS and RBS it was more than 95%; and at Lloyds it was more than 80%. In each case, management got pushed out too.

We should ask penniless Fred the Shred that.
  • Options
    Maybe the answer is to privatise the BBC, NHS and State Schools and use the proceeds to create a pension assets fund which is ring-fenced from government intervention.

That would solve Mike's problem.
  • Options

Floods - climate change!

if you watched PMQs then you would appreciate there is a bit of generous spin on this from the BBC - however your central point is correct - and this winter hasn't been that wet either.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Maybe the answer is to privatise the BBC, NHS and State Schools and use the proceeds to create a pension assets fund which is ring-fenced from government intervention.

That would solve Mike's problem.

The BBC should probably be privatised. Ludicrous, and an intellectual disconnect, that essential utilities are private yet a broadcasting organisation is not.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Right: so your specific concern is that the government didn't illegally override hundreds of years of contract law to save a miniscule sum of money in relation to two or three executives.

Well, I guess it's a view.
  • Options
    Also the BBC has the key factor that if, once privatised, it goes El Busto (Which I doubt very much it would...) it doesn't have to be bailed out !

A key consideration.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

What's more, Robert, George can sell each share he holds in Lloyds Banking Group at, say, £0.84 (current market price), representing a 'profit' of £0.23 or 37.7% over its book value of £0.61.

Taxpayers have never had it so good.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Seems very easy to say you are a pensioner. Can't see why it is a difficulty.

On the broader point of why pensioners should be treated a little differently, people make their decisions on the income they have or expect to have in the future, if you remove benefits or increase taxes from someone of working age they can adjust their spending or expectations accordingly. They can work more hours or stay in work a little longer.

Most pensions take the view that they have the bare minimum they need to live on and are pretty frugal as it is. Some may luxuriate in retirement, but they are the minority. If you cut into pensioner benefits, how are they expected to replace that with future earnings?
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

What's more, Robert, George can sell each share he holds in Lloyds Banking Group at, say, £0.84 (current market price), representing a 'profit' of £0.23 or 37.7% over its book value of £0.61.

Shouldn't he have sold them once they hit book value ?

Unless you think the state is better at allocating resources than private individuals.

Which as Rcs has pointed out is where communism lies ;)
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I suspect they will even end up making a small profit on RBS. Northern Rock, probably not.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I've never done too well when it comes to consistency :-)
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Yes indeed, £22bn was spent on CTC in 2011/12 (as per the graph I posted yesterday) and along with HB (£23bn), CB (£12bn) and WTC (£7bn) its meteoric rise is a sign of failure rather than success. Unfortunately because of low wages and high costs many people rely on them and the best way is to inflate away their value over many years (alongside more housing and higher wages).
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    rcs1000 said:

AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

I suspect they will even end up making a small profit on RBS. Northern Rock, probably not.
    The National Audit Office is trying to claim that the 2013 sale of Lloyds Banking Group shares resulted in a loss to shareholders of £230 million. This was after George claimed the difference between book price and sales price (£0.61 and £0.75) had yield a return of £586 million. What the NAO did differently from George was to add back in the cost to the government of the funds borrowed to bail out Lloyds.

All this is a bit angels on the head of a needle stuff though as the treatment of the interventions in the National Accounts is markedly different from the way such transactions would be calculated by a corporate financier.

Still,.with Lloyds trading at very near £0.84 per share even Pork would have difficulty claiming the taxpayer had taken a hit on resale.

On Northern Rock, weren't you offering to bet with me some time ago that the government would make a profit?
  • Options
    Global Warming is running in the 2:45 at Doncaster. I'll let everyone know how he gets on :D
  • Options
    OGH doesn't seem very G at the moment, but I don't think that politicians in general do speak of pensions as 'welfare'; to the contrary, they, and public, treat the two as politically different. Yet, even though it is common to talk about pensioners being treated more favourably than other groups, we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that most pensioners are very far from being well-off, and anyone dependent on a state pension is very poor - especially if they have been prudent and retained a small savings pot, in which case they are not eligible for a wide range of means-tested benefits even if they have have virtually no other income. This creates a very regrettable moral hazard.

The real issue is not that pensions are too generous - they are not - but that the numbers of pensioners has risen and will continue to rise. Certainly raising the pension age makes very good sense, and perhaps governments of all stripes and in many countries have been too slow to do so.

Get saving in that pension fund - no future government is going to be able to give you anything more than the barest subsistence allowance.
  • Options
    On pensions I would agree it shouldn't really be in the "benefits" column. Even with the new single-tier pension from 2016 you need 35 qualifying years (NIC payments or credits) to get the full amount. Most if not all of the other "benefits" on the list are given out almost automatically.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

On pensions I would agree it shouldn't really be in the "benefits" column. Even with the new single-tier pension from 2016 you need 35 qualifying years (NIC payments or credits) to get the full amount. Most if not all of the other "benefits" on the list are given out almost automatically.

Jobseekers isn't.
  • Options
    MimusMimus Posts: 56
    Pulpstar said:

The BBC should probably be privatised. Ludicrous, and an intellectual disconnect, that essential utilities are private yet a broadcasting organisation is not.

As the licence fee isn't really a subscription, the BBC runs at a fairly considerable deficit in its present form. The service delivery would have to be radically altered and it might not get enough subscribers to maintain its present stature.

The utilities were privatised without a major impact for customers, certainly nothing that would compare with having 4 minutes of ads in the middle of Eastenders.

• Options
    Mimus said:

The utilities were privatised without a major impact for customers, certainly nothing that would compare with having 4 minutes of ads in the middle of Eastenders.

POTY !

• Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    TGOHF said:

Floods - climate change!

if you watched PMQs then you would appreciate there is a bit of generous spin on this from the BBC - however your central point is correct - and this winter hasn't been that wet either.
    Has this winter been that wet?

We've only had December so far, and it has been very wet in most of Scotland, and south-east England, though a bit dry in the east of England.

Saying that it hasn't been that wet this winter is rather like those people who said the St Jude's Day storm wasn't that windy. I think many people will think it has been quite wet enough this winter, though most of the flooding has been coastal and caused by winds and storm surges, rather than too much rainfall.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Unless you think the state is better at allocating resources than private individuals.

There is a stock City answer to your question:

In a perfect market what you suggest would be absolutely right. But we are not dealing in a perfect market.

George is as much subject to fortune, the timetables and the vagaries of the markets as any other major trader. He does have the advantage though of his slippery hands having access to some macro-economic and political levers.

He may be able to walk on water but he can't buck the markets.

• Options
    Out of interest how many people blamed climate change/global warming for the 1953 surge ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

In a perfect market what you suggest would be absolutely right. But we are not dealing in a perfect market.

George is as much subject to fortune, the timetables and the vagaries of the markets as any other major trader. He does have the advantage though of his slippery hands having access to some macro-economic and political levers.

Stoke a housing boom, get Lloyds and RBS fuelling the fire and reap the dividends with huge profits on share sales ?

Which he can use to bribe people away from Labour with come the pre election budget :D !
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,734
    Mimus said:

Pulpstar said:

As the licence fee isn't really a subscription, the BBC runs at a fairly considerable deficit in its present form. The service delivery would have to be radically altered and it might not get enough subscribers to maintain its present stature.

I think it's precisely its "present stature" that those who object to the BBC object to.

Here's a thought: can you sum up what the BBC does in one sentence?

I'll give ITV a go - it's a media enterprise producing and commissioning news and entertainment content delivered via several channels.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    ''Get saving in that pension fund - no future government is going to be able to give you anything more than the barest subsistence allowance.''

F8ck the pension fund, who wants to give their money to a 30-year old fund manager whose only concern is where his next Aston Martin and toot of coke are coming from.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    For what its worth I have compared the UKIP opinion poll score on the day of the last few by elections to the UKIP percentage in the count

Corby (15.11.12) YouGov 9% Opinium 10% Actual score 14.3%
    Rotherham (29.11.12) YG 10% Op 13% Actual 21.8%
    Middlesbrough (29.11.12) YG 10% Op 13% Actual 11.8%
    Eastleigh YG 11% Actual 27.8%
    South Shields YG 10% Op 17% Actual 24.2%

• Options

Is it really???

The limit of pension contributions is £3,600 or 100% of your earned income - clearly the state pension isn't that sort of earned income... how strange.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

Pulpstar said:

AveryLP said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Stoke a housing boom, get Lloyds and RBS fuelling the fire and reap the dividends with huge profits on share sales ?

Which he can use to bribe people away from Labour with come the pre election budget :D !
    I suddenly feel a calling to swear an oath of monastic silence.

• Options
    taffys said:

F8ck the pension fund, who wants to give their money to a 30-year old fund manager whose only concern is where his next Aston Martin and toot of coke are coming from.

You don't need to. Stick it in a basket of cheap ETFs or low-cost tracker funds such as those run by Vanguard.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Get saving in that pension fund - no future government is going to be able to give you anything more than the barest subsistence allowance.''

I asked the pensions lady if I could run my own pension fund... She said you can in theory but its expensive (Certainly too expensive for my pot).

If my company didn't contribute I wouldn't pay in though
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 4,016
    isam said:

For what its worth I have compared the UKIP opinion poll score on the day of the last few by elections to the UKIP percentage in the count

Corby (15.11.12) YouGov 9% Opinium 10% Actual score 14.3%
    Rotherham (29.11.12) YG 10% Op 13% Actual 21.8%
    Middlesbrough (29.11.12) YG 10% Op 13% Actual 11.8%
    Eastleigh YG 11% Actual 27.8%
    South Shields YG 10% Op 17% Actual 24.2%

So in other words they sometimes slightly overperform slightly significantly overperform and sometimes double their poll score. I appreciate the research, but other than suggesting UKIP will safely keep their deposit God knows.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    AveryLP said:

On Northern Rock, weren't you offering to bet with me some time ago that the government would make a profit?

I may have been wrong there too :-)

Actually, it looks like the eventual loss incurred by the tax payer is likely to be very modest - if there is one at all (it's hard to know for sure, because it was merged with Bradford and Bingley to create UK Asset Resolution).

Let's not forget, the shares were acquired for nothing, the branches were sold for £750m to Virgin, and UK Asset Resolution Ltd made more than £800m profit in the first nine months of 2013.

• Options
    I must admit had to look quite a few of those benefits up, especially as they seem to be renaming them. What is the difference between DLA and ESA? Aren't they both what used to be incapacity benefit?

As for cuts to the benefits, I agree that taking benefits away from the young is not necessarily the best thing. I would aim to prune the benefits bill as follows:

- Oversees workers only allowed to claim benefits when they have been working here at least 5 years
    - Housing benefit. Pursue policies that will drive down rents e.g build more houses/flats, taxes on overseas investment buyers
    - Better tapering of disability benefits so that people who are able to do some work can do this without being financially worse off.
    - Encourage internal immigration i.e. help move workers from employment blackspots to growth areas like the Thames Valley rather than relying on more overseas immigrants
    - Limit child benefit to first 2 or 3 kids only
  • Options
    Topping

The BBC is a left wing think tank and cabal of activists with unparalleled access to propaganda opportunites across multiple media outlets, which obtains its funds with the threat of force from owners of equipment not necessarily related to it and whose objective is to suck out any remaining free speech or original thought from those upon whom it preys.
  • Options
    So Ladbrokes have just made Patrick O'Flynn from the Express new favourite for 'Next UKIP leader'. What am I missing? Has he made a speech or something?
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited January 2014
    Pulpstar said:

I asked the pensions lady if I could run my own pension fund... She said you can in theory but its expensive (Certainly too expensive for my pot).

That's almost certainly true for a company scheme, but there's no reason why a company scheme should not be run using very low-cost funds.

You can of course also take out a SIPP and put your own contributions into that with tax relief at your marginal rate (but that's obviously not a good idea if it would mean smaller employer contributions). Also ISAs, which have their own advantages.

The best course depends on individual circumstances, and you might need advice, but the key thing is not to bury your head in the sand and hope the future will take care of itself. It won't.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Floods - climate change!

Has this winter been that wet?

We've only had December so far, and it has been very wet in most of Scotland, and south-east England, though a bit dry in the east of England.

Saying that it hasn't been that wet this winter is rather like those people who said the St Jude's Day storm wasn't that windy. I think many people will think it has been quite wet enough this winter, though most of the flooding has been coastal and caused by winds and storm surges, rather than too much rainfall.
    So far it has been nothing special

http://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/01/07/is-englands-bad-weather-a-sign-of-climate-change/

• Options
    Back to Goodish News

OK here comes the first of the big Retail Sales predictions: The Visa Europe UK Consumer Expenditure Index compiled by Markit and based on aggregate spending on consumer Visa debit and credit cards.

Some interesting findings. The High Street sector didn't have, in aggregate, a great Christmas but online and non-store expenditure boomed. Overall a reasonable outturn but some worrying omens here for Retail Sales in Q1 2014.

Mr. Brooke will have multiple apoplexies over a 7.3% increase in Hotel and Restaurant Sector.

Headline findings:

• Year-on-year spending rose slightly in December (+0.6%), following the strongest annual increase for five months in November (+1.5%).

• Quarterly spending figures signalled that underlying expenditure improved slightly in December (+0.1%), following a moderate increase in November (+1.1%).

• Month-on-month consumer spending fell by -2.0% in December, following a slight increase in November (+1.0%).

• Non-seasonally adjusted year-on-year expenditure increased markedly through Online spending channels (+6.8%), and slightly in Mail/Telephone Order categories (+0.3%), while Face-to-Face spending declined moderately (-1.9%).
    =================================================================
    Visa Europe UK Consumer Expenditure Index
    December 2013 Summary Table
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Dec Nov Oct
    Overall Spending Annual SA +0.6% +1.5% +0.5%
    Overall Spending 3m/3m SA +0.1% +1.1% +0.8%
    Overall Spending Monthly SA -2.0% +1.0% -1.4%

Face-to-Face Spending Annual NSA -1.9% +1.3% -1.5%
    Online Spending Annual NSA +6.8% +1.1% +3.0%
    Mail/Telephone Order (MOTO) Annual NSA +0.3% +2.7% +6.6%
    =================================================================

[to be continued]
  • Options
    Mr. Quincel, I believe he left his paper (the Express?) to run UKIP's euro-elections campaign. Could be wrong.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Millsy said:

Jobseekers isn't.
    Most of it (about 80%) is income-based JSA
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

Right: so your specific concern is that the government didn't illegally override hundreds of years of contract law to save a miniscule sum of money in relation to two or three executives.

Well, I guess it's a view.
    Isn't the point that the directors of those companies didn't take a personal hit - that the contracts were drawn up in such a way as to ensure they would walk out safe if their conduct was negligent or incompetent. Therefore, your earlier point that that the mangers suffered losses comensurate with the taxpayer needing to rescue them don't really hold.

People used to be paid big bucks with big packages to grow and improve their company during their time of stewardship. We now seem to have reached the point where people are given even bigger packages but who suffer no hardship when they run their company into the ground. They just take the massive pay-off and walk away, perhaps to start again elsewhere. Their shareholders take the hit, the taxpayer rides to the rescue but the people whose negligence/incompetence/greed caused the mess get a big fat cheque.

Frankly, company law needs a radical overhaul in this country, in particular, the powers and duties and terms of remuneration of directors needs a serious look.
  • Options
    [...continued]

Visa Consumer Expenditure Index: December

Jeremy Nicholds, Director of Commercial Development at Visa Europe said:

“It was a tale of two Christmases in December as online and high street retailers looked to woo customers in the final weeks of the year. Overall, consumer spending in December registered a +0.6% annual increase, with much of this rise attributed to online spending with the high street faring less well.

“Mega Monday at the start of December signalled the beginning of a very strong month for e-commerce. Online spending generated a +6.8% annual increase in December compared to an annual drop of -1.9% on the high street. Online demand looks to have been significantly boosted by the unfortunate weather in the run up to Christmas Day that saw consumers turn away from trawling the shops in the wind and rain, in favour of a more comfortable shopping experience on a mobile, PC or tablet. Consumers were also shopping online much closer to Christmas than in previous years which shows they continue to gain in confidence regarding the receipt of goods ordered online as well as taking advantage of services such as click & collect.

“By the end of the month, the performance of the high street had improved considerably. In the final week of the month, consumers returned to the high street to take advantage of price reductions in the sales, helping to close the year on a high. Spending at the tills increased by +11% in the final week of December compared to last year, whilst online spending grew by only + 4% for the same period.”
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Topping

The BBC is a left wing think tank and cabal of activists with unparalleled access to propaganda opportunites across multiple media outlets, which obtains its funds with the threat of force from owners of equipment not necessarily related to it and whose objective is to suck out any remaining free speech or original thought from those upon whom it preys.

Patrick, what do you see as the downside to slaying all left-wingers? Would you prefer it to be done painlessly or as slowly & painfully as possible?

• Options
    The more I look at this Wythenshawe seat, the more I think rsc_1000 might not be so crazy...

Paul Goggins got 60% of the vote in 2001, 53% in 2005 and 44% in 2010

LDs gained 9% in 2005, presumably from Labour, those voters stayed with the LDs in 2010
    Conservatives have received a steady 22-25% for the last 17 years
    UKIP 3-3.5% 2005 & 2010
    The BNP got 4% from a standing start last time, probably ex Labour voters

If half the LD, Con and Labour voters stay with them, 15-20% of each go to UKIP along with the BNP vote, it could be a very close thing

What are the factors to look at?

Would Labours vote go up in opposition?
    Would previous Goggins voters come back in his honour?
    Or would loyal Goggins voters no longer vote LAbour?

• Options

Mr. Quincel, I believe he left his paper (the Express?) to run UKIP's euro-elections campaign. Could be wrong.

Ah yes, he seems to be their new Director of Communications.
  • Options
    taffys said:

My case in point. Pensions need leaving alone by the political classes, not endless raids and rule changes....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

AveryLP said:

I may have been wrong there too :-)

Actually, it looks like the eventual loss incurred by the tax payer is likely to be very modest - if there is one at all (it's hard to know for sure, because it was merged with Bradford and Bingley to create UK Asset Resolution).

Let's not forget, the shares were acquired for nothing, the branches were sold for £750m to Virgin, and UK Asset Resolution Ltd made more than £800m profit in the first nine months of 2013.

I agree. The mortgages (90% of NR and 100% of B&B) will probably be held to termination and the final reckoning too distant in time to make any real sense.

There will be no substantial loss or profit: probably a breakeven.

• Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited January 2014
    Quincel said:

On past UKIP form, the best bet would be one on how quickly he has a row with Farage and walks out.
  • Options

Quincel said:

On past form, the best bet would be one on how quickly he has a row with Farage and walks out.
    Mugs bet anyway, Farage isn't going anywhere so any value will be eaten up by inflation and opportunity cost.
  • Options
    the key thing is not to bury your head in the sand and hope the future will take care of itself. It won't.

I wonder how many people are relying on taking cash out of their main property and trading down...

That might make for an interesting survey.
  • Options
    As we're on pensions....
    My wife has a pension from a previous employer, 18 years service, and she recently asked for a transfer quote, just to see. It says it has a transfer valuation of just over a hundred grand.

My question is, what can she do with it?
    She can't draw it until 65ish, I think.
    She's 45, so not retiring anytime soon, and works part time, with a company pension. She's probably not going to stay with her current employer for much longer, so doesn't want to transfer it to that.

She's going to see an advisor, but I'd thought I'd ask for your ideas so we can do some research beforehand.
  • Options
    Global Warming faded I'm afraid. Went too far too fast.
  • Options

As we're on pensions....
    My wife has a pension from a previous employer, 18 years service, and she recently asked for a transfer quote, just to see. It says it has a transfer valuation of just over a hundred grand.

She's 45, so not retiring anytime soon, and works part time, with a company pension. She's probably not going to stay with her current employer for much longer, so doesn't want to transfer it to that.

She's going to see an advisor, but I'd thought I'd ask for your ideas so we can do some research beforehand.

Be very careful - is it a final-salary scheme? If so, then in most cases the transfer value is a very bad deal. Definitely one to take advice on.
  • Options

As we're on pensions....

Take up smoking :)
This discussion has been closed.