Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Nate Silver on UK politics

Comments

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    @CJFDillow
    Wide measure of jobless (unemp + part-timers wanting f-t work & inactive wanting work) rose 30k in 3m to Feb, to 6.24m
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    Plato said:

I'm becoming confused.

RT @BBCHughPym: Claimant count down 7,000 in March...
    employment down 2,000 in three months to Feb

yet

RT @BBCHughPym: Unemployment up 70,000 in three months ending in Feb.

Herewith the official explanation from the ONS Labour Stats bulletin:

A key factor in the increase in unemployment is that the number of people actively engaging with the labour market is increasing. Between September to November 2012 and December 2012 to February 2013, the number of people aged from 16 to 64 who were not in the labour force (known as economically inactive) fell by 57,000 to reach 8.95 million. A large part of this decrease was for women who were economically inactive because they were looking after the family or home. The number of women in this category fell by 45,000 between September to November 2012 and December 2012 to February 2013 to reach 2.06 million, the lowest figure since comparable records began in 1993.

There has been a small fall of 7,000 in the number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) between February and March 2013. The number of people claiming JSA (1.53 million) is around a million lower than the number of unemployed people; many unemployed people are not eligible for or do not claim JSA.

As you can see the official explanation is once again at odds with the malicious spin of the tim and Ben the flower pot men.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Awful job stats now feeding through.

Avery thinks its broadly good news.

I must be in a parallel dimension.

Read the bulletin, Ben.

It helps.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Roger said:

It has the look of a Tory Party Conference c1984 with some faces I hoped I would never see again. This isn't an attractive event for those of us who didn't like Thatcher or any of her works.

Referencing the 1984 Tory conference is particularly tasteless, Roger.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    BenM said:

Awful job stats now feeding through.

Avery thinks its broadly good news.

I must be in a parallel dimension.

Ben, where's the awfulness exactly?

Unemployment adjusted for people coming out of economic inactivity rose 13,000.

Clearly the figures aren't great but they represent a standstill.
  • Options
    glassfetglassfet Posts: 220
    AveryLP said:

tim and Ben the flower pot men.

Who is playing the part of Weeeeeeeee-eeeed?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    CNN reported that Brown received a Wembley and Normandy reception.

https://twitter.com/MaxFosterCNN/status/324443539205406720/photo/1
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    AveryLP said:

Plato said:

I'm becoming confused.

yet

Herewith the official explanation from the ONS Labour Stats bulletin:

A key factor in the increase in unemployment is that the number of people actively engaging with the labour market is increasing. Between September to November 2012 and December 2012 to February 2013, the number of people aged from 16 to 64 who were not in the labour force (known as economically inactive) fell by 57,000 to reach 8.95 million. A large part of this decrease was for women who were economically inactive because they were looking after the family or home. The number of women in this category fell by 45,000 between September to November 2012 and December 2012 to February 2013 to reach 2.06 million, the lowest figure since comparable records began in 1993.

There has been a small fall of 7,000 in the number of people claiming Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) between February and March 2013. The number of people claiming JSA (1.53 million) is around a million lower than the number of unemployed people; many unemployed people are not eligible for or do not claim JSA.

As you can see the official explanation is once again at odds with the malicious spin of the tim and Ben the flower pot men.
    Ah - IIRC we saw the same in the USA a little while ago - more non-botherers now thought it was worth trying for the first time in yonks. A positive negative figure.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @Avery

"Someone has flagged a post of mine as "off topic"."

That's funny but clearly done as a joke. Everyone knows 'Financier' doesn't have a sense of humour.

The funeral's hotting up. I think Nigel Lawson has put the wrong wig on. It's bright orange
  • Options
    carlcarl Posts: 750
    Plato said:

I'm becoming confused.

yet

Confused?! Given how prolifically you comment on politics, I'm surprised at your lack of grasp of some absolute basics.

Here you go.

Unemployment measures all people who meet the internationally agreed definition of unemployment. It is different from the claimant count, which measures only those people who are claiming unemployment-related benefits (Jobseeker's Allowance). The number of unemployed people in the UK is substantially higher than the claimant count. Not everyone who is unemployed is eligible for, or claims, Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA). Many unemployed people (especially women) are not eligible for JSA because they have a partner who is in work and/or because of their financial position. While most recipients of JSA would be classified as unemployed, some would fall into the "employed" or "economically inactive" categories.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    As to the confusion over indicators, I would note that in some quarters JSA as an indicator has been reassessed since 2008. I think I've got it the right way round to say that it was seen as a leading indicator and now they're not so sure.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Roger said:

@AnotherRichard

"If you want to see where the depression is being felt then you need to leave the city centres and go to the industrial estates."

I'm judging it by the time you have to wait for a table at the Ivy.

That's very interesting Roger.

I was under the impression that the London rich were still doing very well but perhaps that's not so.

Maybe they do need that top rate tax cut after all.

By comparison all the McDonalds and Weatherspoons I've been to recently have been doing a roaring trade.

;-)
    ar

I trust you noted that the household savings ratio fell for the first time in many months in Q4 2012. Signs of increased consumer confidence in the economy and signposting the Q1 uplift in retail spend.

Not a consumer boom but evidence of life in the economic patient.

Is an increase in retail spending a good thing? If the money is spent on imported goods and so largely going abroad does that make the Country wealthier or poorer? It might improve growf, but GDP is not the be all and end all.
    In moderation it is a good thing. At least it is better than a sharp contraction.

Underlying the stats is a big churn. Spending on imported tat (household goods, clothing and fashion etc) is falling whereas spending on services (hotels and restaurants, other goods and services) is increasing. Both increases and decreases are quite substantial.

So the overall impact is probably better than it looks although I don't have any worked figures to prove this.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724

AveryLP said:

Roger said:

@AnotherRichard

"If you want to see where the depression is being felt then you need to leave the city centres and go to the industrial estates."

I was under the impression that the London rich were still doing very well but perhaps that's not so.

By comparison all the McDonalds and Weatherspoons I've been to recently have been doing a roaring trade.

;-)
    ar

I trust you noted that the household savings ratio fell for the first time in many months in Q4 2012. Signs of increased consumer confidence in the economy and signposting the Q1 uplift in retail spend.

Is an increase in retail spending a good thing? If the money is spent on imported goods and so largely going abroad does that make the Country wealthier or poorer? It might improve growf, but GDP is not the be all and end all.
    Indeed - I remain sceptical. Glad to hear that Mr Kitty has been located and returned to Quarters.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    glassfet said:

AveryLP said:

Avery.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    edited April 2013
    BenM said:

If I'm in denial, please can you point to data points, any practical examples or studies suggesting Austerity is or has been successful anywhere?

Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Australia, Canada, Switzerland.

Indeed the most obvious lesson which jumps out of the international comparison tables is that economies which run sound public finances have better growth and lower unemployment that those who are profligate.
  • Options
    glassfet said:

AveryLP said:

Roger, of course.

• Options
    I wouldn't take him too seriously on UK politics given that he predicted the Lib Dems would get 103 seats last time around! At least partly because his methods rely on polling data with quite high granularity - which we just don't really have over here.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/05/final-uk-projection-conservatives-312.html
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    @AveryLP

Thanks for that, Mr. Avery, I am mildly reassured.
  • Options
    @Plato

Thanks, Miss. P.. I shall pass your good wishes to The Brute, when he wakes up.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Roger said:

@AnotherRichard

;-)
    ar

Is an increase in retail spending a good thing?
    Yep. Even if a shop is selling foreign goods, an increase in sales will increase their turnover (and profit), giving the business more cash to spend on hiring and expansion, its workers and owners more cash to spend themselves, and so on.

Whether a retail boom (particularly one built on credit) is a good thing is a different question!

• Options
    Cheering and applause.

Just as it should be,
  • Options
    Katherine Jenkins.

Dressed to kill.

Or am I being a little measly?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    F1: Kovalainen rejoins Caterham as a reserve driver:
    http://www.espn.co.uk/caterham/motorsport/story/105795.html

Seems Caterham are worried about the lack of pace and losing 10th spot (worth tens of millions of dollars) to Marussia.
  • Options

BenM said:

If I'm in denial, please can you point to data points, any practical examples or studies suggesting Austerity is or has been successful anywhere?

Germany, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Austria, Austealia, Canada, Switzerland.

Indeed the most obvious lesson which jumps out of the international comparison tables is that economies which run sound public finances have better growth and lower unemployment that those who are profligate.
    Stone me! Sound finances = better growth + lower unemployment! Whoever would have guessed. Someone will do some work soon that indicates that countries who run positive trade balances retain and increase their wealth whereas countries that run negative balances become progressively poorer.
  • Options

@David

"Referencing the 1984 Tory conference is particularly tasteless, Roger."

The date was chosen at random as I'm sure you know
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Just did a yougov on DFID and what should be cut and by how much.

Seemed a bit push polling frankly.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    That's going to worry me - have they put the coffin on those two little stands properly?
  • Options
    Has David Mellor become a vicar?
  • Options

I wouldn't take him too seriously on UK politics given that he predicted the Lib Dems would get 103 seats last time around! At least partly because his methods rely on polling data with quite high granularity - which we just don't really have over here.

http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2010/05/final-uk-projection-conservatives-312.html

But he does seem to suggest Ed is crap. So he has his finger on the pulse to some extent. Probably reads PB.

• Options
    Dimblebore's question to Cameron was pathetic.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    @SeanT

"Why the F are you watching it then, you ridiculous old fart."

I thought you'd parked yourself in front of St Paul's and were planning to throw yourself in front the hearse? Did they move you on because they couldn't bear your sniffling?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    dr_spyn said:

I'm no fan of Brown, but I think booing at a funeral should be left to the saddos on the left. Distasteful.
  • Options
    Funeral arrangements pre dated 2005 when Cameron become Opposition Leader.

Someone should ask Prescott what he knew then other than not very much.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,705
    dr_spyn said:

Funeral arrangements pre dated 2005 when Cameron become Opposition Leader.

Someone should ask Prescott what he knew then other than not very much.

Prescott doesn't know much about anything.
  • Options

BenM said:

A more accurate interpretation would be that economic growth leads to healthier public finances.

There is absolutely no doubt that austerity in itself depresses economic activity. Even the Tories were forced to accept this by the OBR recently.
  • Options
    Very sorry but Sam is looking quite hot here
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

BenM said:

Stone me! Sound finances = better growth + lower unemployment! Whoever would have guessed. Someone will do some work soon that indicates that countries who run positive trade balances retain and increase their wealth whereas countries that run negative balances become progressively poorer.

BenM said:

Meanwhile stimulus spending in Japan has just piled up debt and covered the country with infrastructure white elephants.

A non cyclical deficit is not something that can be sustained for long without impoverishing the nation. The sooner it is fixed the sooner we will grow. Austerity will lead to growth in the long term even though the short term is less rosy. As the lady one said: There is no alternative.
  • Options
    They didn't appear to ask about the "give all taxpayers shares" option of returning it to the market ?!!
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,325
    TOPPING said:

Very sorry but Sam is looking quite hot here

She looks OK :)
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    carl said:

BenM said:

A more accurate interpretation would be that economic growth leads to healthier public finances.

There is absolutely no doubt that austerity in itself depresses economic activity. Even the Tories were forced to accept this by the OBR recently.
    Carl

Whilst you may be right, I would leave out the OBR as reinforcement to your claim.

The OBR were fully aware of all the government's fiscal consolidation measures when it made its original projections. To turn round when the outcomes didn't match and assign the fiscal consolidation measures as the reason is somewhat disingenuous and utterly unconvincing.

Not Robert Chote's finest day, methinks.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    It would be so much better if they held 'New Orleans' jazz style funerals. They could charge for tickets, cover the cost of the funeral/security and make some money for the deceased chosen charities.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Dimblebore's question to Cameron was pathetic.

Cameron is no Thatcher :)
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited April 2013
    Spent 30 mins looking at Spitting image from the 80's on You tube. I recommend it as a cathartic enema after all this triumphalist hogwash about MT's legacy.

Outside broadcasts in Scotland, Wales and North of England seem rather sparse....the relevance of the hybrid version of Jerusalem from Spitting Image seems particularly on the money today.

FW de Clerk there, he appreciated having her personal support and at the UN against the 80% of people who made up the terrorist oposition in the 80's...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dr_spyn said:

I'm no fan of Brown, but I think booing at a funeral should be left to the saddos on the left. Distasteful.
    Absolutely. Booing at a funeral is just low. Whoever you are booing.
  • Options

Spent 30 mins looking at Spitting image from the 80's on You tube. I recommend it as a cathartic enema after all this triumphalist hogwash about MT's legacy.

Outside broadcasts in Scotland, Wales and North of England seem rather sparse....the relevance of the hybrid version of Jerusalem from Spitting Image seems particularly on the money today.

FW de Clerk there, he appreciated having her personal support and at the UN against the 80% of people who made up the terrorist oposition in the 80's...

Perhaps you should read this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997714/Margaret-Thatchers-vital-role-in-ending-apartheid.html
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    TGOHF said:

They didn't appear to ask about the "give all taxpayers shares" option of returning it to the market ?!!
    I suspect this may be a harder sell than people think, it's bribing us with our own money.
  • Options
    tim said:

Tactical stupidity from Dave.

"David Cameron says we are all Thatcherites now. He shouldn't be making political points before a funeral."

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jameskirkup/100212510/david-cameron-says-we-are-all-thatcherites-now-he-shouldnt-be-making-political-points-before-a-funeral/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

No style as ever

Wrong - Gangnam.
  • Options
    Robin Brant, BBC News tweets: Thatcher funeral - crowd at parliament disperses quickly, thousands walk back to offices.

Probably to watch tv - how long does it take to empty Old Trafford. What was his point?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    We do this pomp and ceremony stuff really well, don't we?

And the eight men carrying the coffin must have very strong arms - it won't be light. The way they lowered the coffin to get through the door, then lifted it once more smoothly and slowly onto their shoulders, required not a little strength.
  • Options
    Off-topic: ever wanted to go to Mars (and never come back)? Now(ish)'s your chance!:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-22146456

I can't see this working, but if it got to the reality TV show stage that is something I can imagine watching.
  • Options

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/margaret-thatcher/9997714/Margaret-Thatchers-vital-role-in-ending-apartheid.html
    Nelson Mandela's daughter is at the funeral - says it all really.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

I suspect this may be a harder sell than people think, it's bribing us with our own money.
    Its the sage Cable's choice - and Alistair Heath had an article in the Tele supporting it - it would give us all a stake in the economy.
  • Options

lefties all love to run around and shout about SA, but remain remarkably quiet about Zimbabwe and their role in putting Mugabe in power. About the only leftie with integrity on the matter is Peter Tatchell.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, we do indeed.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Its the sage Cable's choice - and Alistair Heath had an article in the Tele supporting it - it would give us all a stake in the economy.
    Haven't read what AH wrote but to be honest if the public is given shares they'll be stagged and RBS will quickly become what it was a big corporate ripping the rest of us off. I'd rather see it broken up into a number of mutuals doing bread and butter lending. At least we won't have to bail it out again and it may actually end up doing something economically useful for the rest of the country.
  • Options
    Plato said:

I'm becoming confused.

yet

Not everyone's eligibubble for JSA? - I haven't been for 18 months.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @TSE

"My former boss Margaret Thatcher hated the South African apartheid system and became a good friend of Nelson Mandela"

That is just rubbish. Even Goebbels would be embarrassed to have written that nonsense article. The only reason so much revisionist history is being written on this subject now is because her acolytes know when the dust has settled on her funeral some serious appraisals will take place
  • Options
    Good old Ludwig.
  • Options
    tim said:

Criminal side of the family arrives.
    UK one of the countries Mark Thatcher still allowed to visit.

Look on tim, one day that coukld be Tony.
  • Options
    @adamboultonSKY: RT @SteveHiltonGuru: MORON AUDIO: Yep I can hear it on Sky. The sound of the nation's losers booing a dead woman #youcantmakeitup

@adamboultonSKY: RT @TonyParsonsUK: Boos for a 87 year old's coffin- that's the dignity of the working man restored, then.
  • Options
    Roger said:

TSE

"My former boss Margaret Thatcher hated the South African apartheid system and became a good friend of Nelson Mandela"

That is just rubbish. Even Goebbels would be embarrassed to have written that nonsense article.

Oh grow up Roger.

Those are the facts,

The other facts, that Nelson Mandela regularly visited Lady T, or that his daughter is attending the funeral says more than you ever dare to admit.
  • Options
    Quite a few of those horses look a bit restless to me.
  • Options
    edited April 2013

They must have passed a Tesco? Only kidding!
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    A few of the junior lawyers were interested in joining the crowds. I was a bit surprised at this, since they are far too young to remember Mrs Thatcher in her prime. They might just have been looking to bunk off for a couple of hours, of course.
  • Options
    Rein yourself in, Dr. Prasannan.
  • Options

One of them is trying to either eat or lick another one's ear/face
  • Options
    Roger - why is Mandela's daughter there ?
  • Options
    tim said:

@Roger

I think the British ambassador to South Africa 1987-91 may have an interest in spinning that period.

After all, even Cameron apologised

Then again maybe the Left just read it wrong.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

And yet Mordor demonstrated such skill in training horses so that they could fearlessly carry the Nazgul.
  • Options

Have they spotted a Newcastle fan lurking in the crowds?
  • Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m
    So far the only voices raised in the presence of the Thatcher hearse seem to be those of the Serjeant Majors lining the route
  • Options
    Dimblebore reporting things thrown at horses near Ludgate Hill.
  • Options
    antifrank said:

And yet Mordor demonstrated such skill in training horses so that they could fearlessly carry the Nazgul.
    We could have so much fun saying who is Sauron, Gandalf, and Frodo in today's political climate.
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Breaking news - the Paras have won the Battle of Ludgate Hill. Vets with droopy moustaches oust protesters from prime spot.
  • Options

antifrank said:

We could have so much fun saying who is Sauron, Gandalf, and Frodo in today's political climate.
    Ed Balls=Wormtongue...
  • Options
    JonCJonC Posts: 67
    Surely the money being spent on this funeral is pretty much labour policy? It is "infrastructure spending" (barriers etc.!) and more wages to public servants (police and that). Labour policies to a T! So what are they moaning about?
  • Options
    Just seen a Saltaire lowered as coffin passed by.
  • Options
    tim said:

@Alanbrooke

Take it up with the fop

"David Cameron has distanced himself from one of Margaret Thatcher's key foreign policies, saying that she was wrong to have called the ANC "terrorists" during the apartheid era.
    The Conservative leader, who met Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg last week, said his party had made "mistakes" in the past by failing to introduce sanctions against apartheid in South Africa.
    Lady Thatcher opposed international calls to introduce sanctions against the apartheid regime in South Africa and fought a bitter battle with campaigners in Britain. Writing in today's Observer, Mr Cameron said that Mr Mandela was "one of the greatest men alive". He said: "The mistakes my party made in the past with respect to relations with the ANC and sanctions on South Africa make it all the more important to listen now.""

you chop and change on this as much as Cameron.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Ed Balls=Wormtongue...
    So that's why Yvette Cooper looks so grim all the time...
  • Options
    glassfet said:

@tnewtondunn: Breaking news - the Paras have won the Battle of Ludgate Hill. Vets with droopy moustaches oust protesters from prime spot.

Lefties don't like it up them.,...
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,044
    Message to anybody in the crowds watching such occasions: raising your arm in front of you in order to take photos can, from a distant TV camera, look rather like a Nazi salute.

As for throwing things at police horses. It's simply sick.
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    edited April 2013
    @tim where do you think Cameron lived when Thatcher came to power?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

No they were going past a Tesco.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Ed Balls=Wormtongue...
    Browntongue
  • Options
    @TSE

"Grow up"

I'm afraid your knowledge on the subject is zero. Mandela was happy to be reconciled with everyone friend and enemy alike. That his daughter is attending the funeral alters history not a jot. I've been to South Africa maybe 20 times and the history is clear and known to everyone.
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    @corporeal

I said that already!

• Options
    Paul Waugh ‏@paulwaugh 2m
    Did Dimbleby just confuse mourners throwing flowers at the #Thatcher coffin with protestors throwing missiles?
  • Options
    Just seen this on the Telegraph live blog,

" ... escorted into the cathedral to meet the Bishop of London and the Archbishop of London."

Archbishop of London? The Telegraph truly is an awful paper these days.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,488
    edited April 2013
    Roger said:

@TSE

"Grow up"

I'm afraid your knowledge on the subject is zero. Mandela was happy to be reconciled with everyone friend and enemy alike. That his daughter is attending the funeral alters history not a jot. I've been to South Africa maybe 20 times and the history is clear and known to everyone.

And yet I still know more than you.

Honestly, if your had an original thought in your head it would die of loneliness.
  • Options

@corporeal

I said that already!

Every little post helps.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850

Roger said:

TSE

That is just rubbish. Even Goebbels would be embarrassed to have written that nonsense article.

Oh grow up Roger.

Those are the facts,

The other facts, that Nelson Mandela regularly visited Lady T, or that his daughter is attending the funeral says more than you ever dare to admit.
    It was entirely possible to disagree with apartheid, yet disagree with the imposition of comprehensive economic sanctions. In much the same way that it's possible to disagree with Fidel Castro's government, yet oppose US sanctions against Cuba.

This nuance seems to be wasted on a lot of people

• Options
    SeanT said:

Let's conclude this absurd debate. F W De Klerk said, on Channel 4 last week, that "Thatcher was a fierce opponent of apartheid, however she understood the complexities of South Africa better than most politicians".

But maybe the lefty insects on here believe they know more about the ending of apartheid than the man who ended apartheid.

Mandela was released in 1990, quite a few months before Maggie left office.
  • Options
    Amanda looks OK :)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    tim said:

I can't say I'd particularly condemn someone for plotting the overthrow of the President of Equatorial Guinea.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tim said:

I can't say I'd particularly condemn someone for plotting the overthrow of the President of Equatorial Guinea.
    Britain once had a base on Bioko, the island part of Equatorial Guinea. It was leased from the Spanish from 1827 to 1843.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

the lefty insects on here believe they know more about the ending of apartheid than the man who ended apartheid.

They know more about everything than anybody. Or so they keep telling themselves.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

One of them is trying to either eat or lick another one's ear/face
    When I first saw this comment I had fancied that it might have been a more joyous sort of protest by gays or lesbians making a point about section 28.

Somehow I am rather disappointed that it is about the horses.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@TSE

"Grow up"

Really I'd be surprised at that Roger. Most of the major decolonisation and establishment of democratic rule in Southern Africa took place in 1979-90 under Mrs T. Zimbabwe, Namibia and the release of Mandela. Today we have a bit of mixed bag, Zimbabwe is an kleptocratic toilet which the Left has blanked out; Namibia is stable and sort of working and the world got lucky with Mandela who deserves credit for establishing a stable democracy though it was unknown if he'd take his country down the Namibia path or become Bob Mugabe 2 this being the choice of just about every African president post self rule.
  • Options

Amanda looks OK :)

:)

This discussion has been closed.