Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » What LAB has not factored in is that TMay’s successor will get

12346»

Comments

• Options
    Mr. Price, our departure from the EU.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049
    all this talk of anti semitism and all.....

I know this is stating the bleeding obvious, but Hitler and his coterie of mindless zealots were really such a bunch of arseholes on every conceivable level. I despise nationalism and jingoistic, numbing patriotism....the likes you see with the pathetic barmy army and Ingerlund, and stupid morons who equate Remainers to traitors.

I'm having a bad day and reading the pbCOM thread isn't helping me...
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,049

Well we have both lost a lot of respect for each other today, then. If my aversion to anti-Semitism is juvenile, so be it. I’ll live with that.

An aversion to anti-Semitism is certainly not juvenile. Trying to smear people with the accusation of anti-Semitism when there is absolutely no evidence to support the claim certainly is. You really do need to grow up.

If you do not like the evidence, Richard, that is your problem not mine. Depicting Jews as borderless, secretive bankers acting in the shadows as manipulative puppet masters to subvert democracy are well-established, oft-used anti-Semitic tropes. It’s as simple as that.

I'm with SO on this.

If you (I mean that impersonally) are not anti-Semitic you would do well not to do as anti-Semites do.
    I think I'm on the side of SO and yourself, with one caveat: not everyone can know every old trops that anti-Semites use (although I'd expect some, such as the puppeteer ones, to be better known).

However this was an article in a newspaper, written and edited by intelligent people. If they did not realise the ground they were going on, then they're probably not in the right jobs.
    Or they probably thought that his religion didn't matter. It is those who are seeking to make political capital out of this who seem to be fixated with his religion.
    Urrrm, no. Just no.

The media have power. It's a declining power in this Internet age, but it's still a lot of power. With that power goes responsibility, and that's what this article - I think through mistake rather than malice - lacks.

You might think that reasonable people would in no way make the connection others have. And you are probably correct. But there will be a small percentage for whom it will resonate, and who will take a little comfort from the fact that it's in a respectable newspaper.

It's made much worse by the fact that Soros is well known to have suffered such attacks in the past, so it's feeding into a rich vein of ant-Semitism. It's irresponsible by the Telegraph.
    + 1

Garden...can you not just say that it is a really good post instead of the symbol which is on par with grown adults sending little yellow cartoon faces at each other.....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    tyson said:

Well we have both lost a lot of respect for each other today, then. If my aversion to anti-Semitism is juvenile, so be it. I’ll live with that.

An aversion to anti-Semitism is certainly not juvenile. Trying to smear people with the accusation of anti-Semitism when there is absolutely no evidence to support the claim certainly is. You really do need to grow up.

If you do not like the evidence, Richard, that is your problem not mine. Depicting Jews as borderless, secretive bankers acting in the shadows as manipulative puppet masters to subvert democracy are well-established, oft-used anti-Semitic tropes. It’s as simple as that.

I'm with SO on this.

If you (I mean that impersonally) are not anti-Semitic you would do well not to do as anti-Semites do.
    I think I'm on the side of SO and yourself, with one caveat: not everyone can know every old trops that anti-Semites use (although I'd expect some, such as the puppeteer ones, to be better known).

However this was an article in a newspaper, written and edited by intelligent people. If they did not realise the ground they were going on, then they're probably not in the right jobs.
    Or they probably thought that his religion didn't matter. It is those who are seeking to make political capital out of this who seem to be fixated with his religion.
    Urrrm, no. Just no.

The media have power. It's a declining power in this Internet age, but it's still a lot of power. With that power goes responsibility, and that's what this article - I think through mistake rather than malice - lacks.

You might think that reasonable people would in no way make the connection others have. And you are probably correct. But there will be a small percentage for whom it will resonate, and who will take a little comfort from the fact that it's in a respectable newspaper.

It's made much worse by the fact that Soros is well known to have suffered such attacks in the past, so it's feeding into a rich vein of ant-Semitism. It's irresponsible by the Telegraph.
    + 1

Garden...can you not just say that it is a really good post instead of the symbol which is on par with grown adults sending little yellow cartoon faces at each other.....
    :smile:
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    There's a New Thread....
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249

There's a New Thread....

:smile:
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    tyson said:

I'm with SO on this.

Urrrm, no. Just no.

+ 1

Yes. It was a fantastic post, which articulated my thoughts better than I could.

Including the mistake rather than malice point.
  • Options
    tyson said:

I'm with SO on this.

Urrrm, no. Just no.

+ 1

+1
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FF43 said:

rkrkrk said:

Pong said:

This is what really puzzles me;

Pretty much everything that should have happened in the period between TM becoming PM & the triggering of A50, didn't happen.

None of the necessary planning was done.

Executive dysfunction. And that was before the Tories lost their majority.

Why? What was the point in waiting, doing nothing, and then triggering A50?

I think you’re underestimating the scale of the task. Made doubly tricky by a divided government.

The civil servants needed more time - but the Brexiteers weren’t prepared to wait for A50 any longer.

" but the Brexiteers weren’t prepared to wait for A50 any longer. "

Rubbish. The EU refused to begin negotiation under A50 was enacted.

You are both correct. Brexiteers and the EU both wanted to get a move on.
    Yes, when the wise thing for everyone would have been to do things more slowly.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    Meanwhile, in other fruitcake news, Scott Adams of “Dilbert” fame is on Twitter calling for the execution of retired British spy, Christopher Steele.

Do you remember when it was just mad mullahs calling for the death of their ideological enemies?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916

NEW THREAD

+1
This discussion has been closed.