Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Marf on the dramatic events in Harare

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    When is the Commons next voting on EU withdrawal bill amendments?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

Someone high up in a food company was quoted on here the other day as saying some foods would be in short supply within a week of ikely.

If I were a Tory, and a Leaver, the following graphic would scare the shit out of me:

So, in the short and medium term, it's the Tories who should be scared.

However, the Remainers will consider themselves completely confirmed by events. When you have generational differences in political viewpoints, it can be one of two things:
    1 - Ageing differences. That is - as you age, your opinion changes (cf the Tories being third amongst young voters in the early Seventies, and well into absolute majority leads amongst the same cohort in the latest elections)
    2 - Cohort differences. That is, each generation has different views, which they maintain as they age (eg gay marriage).

Given the very human tendency to dig in on one's opinions whenever there's conflict between opinions, and the size of the disagreement and ongoing conflict, I think this looks to be more in the way of a cohort difference than an ageing difference. The way the "was the referendum choice right or wrong" polls have been very very slowly inching towards "wrong", without much
    Uh no. First diehard Remainers warned we were heading for Great Depression 2 after a Leave vote, they were proved completely wrong, now again they warn we are heading for Great Depression 2 after Brexit. Again no we are heading for a transition period and then a Canada style FTA.

Most Leavers also voted to restore sovereignty and end free movement, both of which will be achieved once Brexit is delivered. Finally of course more than 80% oppose the Euro so not only are we unlikely to ever rejoin the EU we are even more unlikely to ever join the Eurozone
    There's a difference between the economic effects of an actual Brexit and the loss of confidence caused by the Brexit vote. The vote led to a 15% devaluation (the effects of which are just working their way through the system now) and the new reality we find ourselves in once we're outside. The smart money considers those effects to be somewhere between a difficult decade and third world status.
    Also increased tourism and a boost to exports, so even on that example there was a silver lining
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,819
    HYUFD said:

Someone high up in a food company was quoted on here the other day as saying some foods would be in short supply within a week of ikely.

If I were a Tory, and a Leaver, the following graphic would scare the shit out of me:

Bearing in mind that people don't like to believe they were wrong, the most likely reaction of Leavers to a bad economic outcome of Brexit would be "It was the execution that screwed it up, not the idea." That is - blame whoever was in power and actioned Brexit.

However, the Remainers will consider themselves completely confirmed by events. When you have generational differences in political viewpoints, it can be one of two things:
    1 - Ageing differences. That is - as you age, your opinion changes (cf the Tories being third amongst young voters in the early Seventies, and well into absolute majority leads amongst the same cohort in the latest elections)
    2 - Cohort differences. That is, each generation has different views, which they maintain as they age (eg gay marriage).

Given the very human tendency to dig in on one's opinions whenever there's conflict between opinions, and the size of the disagreement and ongoing conflict, I think this looks to be more in the way of a cohort difference than an ageing difference. The way the "was the referendum choice right or wrong" polls have been very very slowly inching towards "wrong", without much evidence of anyone changing their mind is weak support of this - the "Leave" side are more likely to die off than the "Remain" side, due to the age breakdown, and if it's a cohort thing, they won't be replenished by ageing Remainers flipping sides.

This could easily end up with a "Rejoin" vote in a decade's time, especially if leaving gets associated with a big recession. Worse - it could involve joining all the way into the Eurozone, which I personally would view as an error.
    Uh no. First diehard Remainers warned we were heading for Great Depression 2 after a Leave vote, they were proved completely wrong, now again they warn we are heading for Great Depression 2 after Brexit. Again no we are heading for a transition period and then a Canada style FTA.

Most Leavers also voted to restore sovereignty and end free movement, both of which will be achieved once Brexit is delivered. Finally of course more than 80% oppose the Euro so not only are we unlikely to ever rejoin the EU we are even more unlikely to ever join the Eurozone
    For the Brexiter side, you'd better be right that there won't be any issues. You've all basically gone all-in on it going well.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Ritchard Ratcliffe's meeting with Boris over his jailed wife is reported in the mail but the comments on the article are very unsympathic

Reuters seem to refer to refer to her here as an 'aid worker' https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-iran-johnson/uks-johnson-vows-no-stone-unturned-to-free-aid-worker-jailed-in-iran-idUSKBN1DF0LV

Johnson slipped up in the commons and said she was 'training journalists'

& No 10 line is that she was on holiday.

Tinker, tailor....

It is very complex but hope on humanitarian grounds she is released home soon

I think we all have a good idea what this is about. Who needs enemies when the bigmouth blond buffoon is your friend?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Nah.

Many people were on the fence previously, mainly as a function of not giving too much of a fuck about it.

Or alternatively, that the EU is deeply deluded about where British politics is. May could not sell backing out of Brexit without leaving her party and doing a deal with those on the other side of the House, as I said at the weekend.
    If that is the case then we can probably expect an outcome which is at one or other extreme....either essentially Remaining as-is (perhaps dressed up years first.
    No most Tories would support a FTA as it ends free movement and the EU ultimately would too as the UK has to leave the single market and they still get a trade deal with their largest export destination. A 2 year transition does not change that destination
    The more you opine from your position of moronocity about what "most Tories" want the more I am unable not to call you a fucking idiot.

(Sorry @RoyalBlue)
    HYUFD doesn't seem to understand that the EU doesn't give a toss what the Tory party or Labour party would or wouldn't support. They do not waste a moment of their time thinking about such considerations. Many here seem to believe Brexit is consuming every waking hour of every Eurocrat's day and I'm afraid that is a major error. My observation from the Brussels side is that they've got bigger fish to fry than Brexit and they think the Brits can like it or lump it. A huge amount of effort is going into a new framework for handling Chinese trade relations after they gain WTO market economy status. This and other geopolitical matters are getting their main focus.
    Yet it still remains the case the UK is by far the EU's largest destination for exports, larger even than both Chins and the US so they cannot ignore us completely even if they want to.

Hence even Barnier is now talking of a Canada style FTA with the UK
    I read that as "Export Lager". Which is probably true.
    Heineken etc certainly. The largest single destination for EU exports is the UK, then the USA, then China, then Switzerland and Russia and then Turkey.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/where-does-eu-export/
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,058

Pulpstar said:

Ritchard Ratcliffe's meeting with Boris over his jailed wife is reported in the mail but the comments on the article are very unsympathic

Reuters seem to refer to refer to her here as an 'aid worker' https://www.reuters.com/article/us-britain-iran-johnson/uks-johnson-vows-no-stone-unturned-to-free-aid-worker-jailed-in-iran-idUSKBN1DF0LV

Tinker, tailor....

IIRC her day job is manager of aid workers, but was on holiday in Iran. She was visiting her parents, with her daughter, their granddaughter.
    Yes I agree but the complication seems to be that as a dual citizen we do not have the same powers of influence
    IIRC Iran doesn't recognise the concept of dual citizenship.. As far as they aere concerned, I'm pretty sure she's still Iranian. Which, as you rightly say, limits our influence.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

AndyJS said:

When was the last time there was a military coup in north-west Europe?

Operation Valkyrie 1944?

AndyJS said:

Operation Valkyrie 1944?
    Portugal 1974?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    edited November 2017
    Roger said:

HYUFD said:

is, each generation has different views, which they maintain as they age (eg gay marriage).

Given the very human tendency to dig in on one's opinions whenever there's conflict between opinions, and the size of the disagreement and ongoing conflict, I think this looks to be more in the way of a cohort difference than an ageing difference. The way the "was the referendum choice right or wrong" polls have been very very slowly inching towards "wrong", without much evidence of anyone changing their mind is weak support of this - the "Leave" side are more likely to die off than the "Remain" side, due to the age breakdown, and if it's a cohort thing, they won't be replenished by ageing Remainers flipping sides.

This could easily end up with a "Rejoin" vote in a decade's time, especially if leaving gets associated with a big recession. Worse - it could involve joining all the way into the Eurozone, which I personally would view as an error.

There's a difference between the economic effects of an actual Brexit and the loss of confidence caused by the Brexit vote. The vote led to a 15% devaluation (the effects of which are just working their way through the system now) and the new reality we find ourselves in once we're outside. The smart money considers those effects to be somewhere between a difficult decade and third world status.
    The effect of the devaluation has been mixed. On the one hand, inflation has risen to a peak of 3%, slightly cutting real wages. On the other, industrial output has risen, and the trade deficit has fallen. I think it would take a lot more than that (post exit) to make rejoining a real prospect.

For the UK to reach Third World status, you'd probably be looking at a contraction of about 80% in GDP per head, over the course of a decade.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

Bearing in mind that people don't like to believe they were wrong, the most likely reaction of Leavers to a bad economic outcome of Brexit would be "It was the execution that screwed it up, not the idea." That is - blame whoever was in power and actioned Brexit.

Given the very human tendency to dig in on one's opinions whenever there's conflict between opinions, and the size of the disagreement and ongoing conflict, I think this looks to be

For the Brexiter side, you'd better be right that there won't be any issues. You've all basically gone all-in on it going well.
    Depends how you define going badly? For most Leavers that means staying in the EU, failing to regain sovereignty and leaving free movement unchecked.

For most Remainers it is the economy going badly but a FTA will ease those concerns, only a minority of Remainers are ideologically committed to the EU or EEA.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Tinker, tailor....

I think we all have a good idea what this is about. Who needs enemies when the bigmouth blond buffoon is your friend?
    It is more complex than Boris ill judged remarks
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898

Can we get back to discussing far more important issues like most overrated bands of the 90s?

I thought perv hunting was your thing?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Nah.

Many people were on the fence previously, mainly as a function of not giving too much of a fuck about it.

Or alternatively, that the EU is deeply deluded about where British politics is. May could not sell backing out of Brexit without leaving her party and doing a deal with those on the other side of the House, as I said at the weekend.
    If that is the case then we can probably expect an outcome which is at one or other extreme....either essentially Remaining as-is (perhaps dressed up years first.
    No most Tories would support a FTA as it ends free movement and the EU ultimately would too as the UK has to leave the single market and they still get a trade deal with their largest export destination. A 2 year transition does not change that destination
    The more you opine from your position of moronocity about what "most Tories" want the more I am unable not to call you a fucking idiot.

(Sorry @RoyalBlue)
    HYUFD doesn't seem to understand that the EU doesn't give a toss what the Tory party or Labour party would or wouldn't support. They do not waste a moment of their time thinking about such considerations. Many here seem to believe Brexit is consuming every waking hour of every Eurocrat's day and I'm afraid that is a major error. My observation from the Brussels side is that they've got bigger fish to fry than Brexit and they think the Brits can like it or lump it. A huge amount of effort is going into a new framework for handling Chinese trade relations after they gain WTO market economy status. This and other geopolitical matters are getting their main focus.
    Yet it still remains the case the UK is by far the EU's largest destination for exports, larger even than both Chins and the US so they cannot ignore us completely even if they want to.

Heineken etc certainly. The largest single destination for EU exports is the UK, then the USA, then China, then Switzerland and Russia and then Turkey.
    You think the Heineken, Carlsberg, or Fosters you drink here come from Holland, Denmark or Australia? Crikey.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

A study of the evidence given by car manufacturers to the HoC yesterday might be salutary to anyone who thinks a hard Brexit could go well (is there anyone who still takes that view?).
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Nah.

(Sorry @RoyalBlue)

You think the Heineken, Carlsberg, or Fosters you drink here come from Holland, Denmark or Australia? Crikey.
    Heineken is headquartered in the Netherlands and Carlsberg in Denmark
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2017
    Roger said:

Can we get back to discussing far more important issues like most overrated bands of the 90s?

I thought perv hunting was your thing?
    You seem to be confusing me with Tom Watson. You still think your mate Kev is a good egg?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Can't quite believe Mugabe is under house arrest. It looked like it would never happen until very recently.
  • Options
    F1: if you were thinking of backing Alonso for the title next year, the surprisingly long odds of 20 are now up on Betfair Exchange. Even with my anaemic account, I've put a little on. [NB I previously tipped this at about 12 on Ladbrokes each way]. Not much available. The odds are available, though, on Sportsbook. But I prefer the Exchange.

That and Bottas each way on Ladbrokes at 16 (with boost) seem very good to me.

Verstappen is 4.7 on the Exchange. But if the Renault engine is good enough, then Alonso at six times the odds must be value. If the Renault engine is not good enough we'll have either Mercedes dominance or a Mercedes/Ferrari duel, in which case Bottas each way (fifth the odds for top 3) is value.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Heineken is headquartered in the Netherlands and Carlsberg in Denmark

And a large brewing organisations brews its beer:

a. At its headquarters or

b. In its breweries?
  • Options
    Oh how Avant-garde...

UK government funds Matthew Herbert's Brexit Big Band

In a recent performance at The Barbican, in London, the percussion for one song was provided by ripping up copies of the Daily Mail, according to the Politico website.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-41996872

He will be burning a million quid next.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HHemmelig said:

HHemmelig said:

TOPPING said:

Nah.

(Sorry @RoyalBlue)

All brewed under licence I believe. Syrups added to fizzy water.

• Options
    Mr. JS, he is very old. Daft sod has had decades to plan his succession, get a son or wife or chosen heir in place.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Can't quite believe Mugabe is under house arrest. It looked like it would never happen until very recently.

Astonishing that something has actually gone right in the world, given the last few years...
  • Options

Precisely. So it's a mirage to think all that EU lager we drink makes us an export market for EU lager brewers.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Astonishing that something has actually gone right in the world, given the last few years...
    I am not sure the bloke the army are trying to replace him with is exactly an angel.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

I am not sure the bloke the army are trying to replace him with is exactly an angel.
    No doubt. Probably nothing will change, but there's a bit of hope.
  • Options

Bulmers, S&N?
  • Options
    Electrical firm Dyson is suing former chief executive Max Conze for allegedly leaking company secrets and using company resources for his own benefit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42001793
  • Options

AndyJS said:

No doubt. Probably nothing will change, but there's a bit of hope.
    Cliffnotes...

Known as "the crocodile" because this is the totem of his clan. His supporters are known as "Lacoste"

Received military training in China and Egypt

Tortured by Rhodesian forces after his "crocodile gang" staged attacks

Helped direct Zimbabwe's 1970s war of independence

Became the country's spymaster during the 1980s civil conflict, in which thousands of civilians were killed

Seen as key link between army, intelligence agencies and Zanu-PF party

Accused of masterminding attacks on opposition supporters after 2008 election

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-41995876

The Daily Mail claim he was behind 20,000 deaths...
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

F1: if you were thinking of backing Alonso for the title next year, the surprisingly long odds of 20 are now up on Betfair Exchange. Even with my anaemic account, I've put a little on. [NB I previously tipped this at about 12 on Ladbrokes each way]. Not much available. The odds are available, though, on Sportsbook. But I prefer the Exchange.

That and Bottas each way on Ladbrokes at 16 (with boost) seem very good to me.

Verstappen is 4.7 on the Exchange. But if the Renault engine is good enough, then Alonso at six times the odds must be value. If the Renault engine is not good enough we'll have either Mercedes dominance or a Mercedes/Ferrari duel, in which case Bottas each way (fifth the odds for top 3) is value.

That all makes sense. If the Renault engine is both powerful and reliable then there could be four competitive constructors next year. Also don’t rule out Williams, they’ve got a new technical director in Paddy Lowe (poached from Mercedes at the start of this year) who will be designing their 2018 car.
  • Options
    This year alone, unemployment is reportedly at 94% and the banks are constantly running out of hard currency.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-africa-41994362

That is just utter nuts.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, I think Williams will struggle to match Mercedes in aerodynamic terms. The regulations aren't changing wildly, and Stroll's rather hit-and-miss.

I had, however, forgotten about Lowe. They should become more competitive, and we could see a very tasty Renault-Force India-Williams battle for best of the rest.

Well. They won't be called Force India any more, but nobody knows (even them) what they're changing their name to.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Bulmers, S&N?

Heineken subsidiary. May actually show up in import/export figures because the apple juice concentrate is prolly shipped in from Poland or Romania, and they may export some of the finished product.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, some years ago now, but I remember reading that Zimbabwe had life expectancy of 32/34 due to famine and rampant AIDS. At the same sort of time, interest rates were 65,000% and inflation was around six or seven figures.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

This year alone, unemployment is reportedly at 94% and the banks are constantly running out of hard currency.

That is just utter nuts.

Because of Brexit, no doubt.
  • Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Roger said:

You should try the third world for a year or two, I think you might notice the difference, and realise that you are talking out of your hat.
  • Options
    RobD said:

That is just utter nuts.

Because of Brexit, no doubt.
    Obviously...
  • Options

Mr. Urquhart, some years ago now, but I remember reading that Zimbabwe had life expectancy of 32/34 due to famine and rampant AIDS. At the same sort of time, interest rates were 65,000% and inflation was around six or seven figures.

From a few years ago, a couple of Greenbacks got you one of these...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

From the same link I gave below they said that Bitcoin is going for $14k a pop in Zimbabwe.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited November 2017
    Sandpit said:

My avatar is the Z$ 20 billion :)
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, it's really rather tragic.

I do wonder if South Africa will go that route. From the little I've heard, attacks on white farmers there seem pretty commonplace.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Crap Cohen...Failing....Sad....
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176

Electrical firm Dyson is suing former chief executive Max Conze for allegedly leaking company secrets and using company resources for his own benefit.

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-42001793

Nominative determinism.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I think the future with UK ex EU will depend on how close relations become with Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and our Commonwealth Countries plus the US hopefully without Trump.

I believe this is scaring the EU as a succesful trading group of Countries on the perimeter of Europe with good free trade deals may well attract EU business here and see other EU countries become restless to join an alternate and successful free trading group, as the EEC was originally conceived

OUR Commonwealth countries???
    Straw picking
    The Commonwealth heads of states conference is in London next year. Huge opportunity for us to talk trade with our friends including Canada, Australia and New Zealand
    Yup. They will want to export their food and dairy products and our farmers will want more subsidy as they will not be able to compete.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I do wonder if South Africa will go that route. From the little I've heard, attacks on white farmers there seem pretty commonplace.

Every South African I have talked to over the past 2-3 years says it is going to hell in a hand basket. Violent crime and corruption is so rampant, it makes doing any sort of business very dangerous and really not worth the risk.

What country can thrive under those sort of conditions, let alone one that already has massive poverty, etc etc etc.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I think the future with UK ex EU will depend on how close relations become with Norway, Switzerland, Iceland and our Commonwealth Countries plus the US hopefully without Trump.

I believe this is scaring the EU as a succesful trading group of Countries on the perimeter of Europe with good free trade deals may well attract EU business here and see other EU countries become restless to join an alternate and successful free trading group, as the EEC was originally conceived

Straw picking
    The Commonwealth heads of states conference is in London next year. Huge opportunity for us to talk trade with our friends including Canada, Australia and New Zealand
    Yup. They will want to export their food and dairy products and our farmers will want more subsidy as they will not be able to compete.
    NZ farmers managed just fine without any subsidies.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, not to mention the ANC's declining vote share may lead to political ructions sooner or later.

Anyway, must be off.
  • Options

That was not a typo. He means the "old" [ polite for "white" ] Commonwealth countries.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

My avatar is the Z$ 20 billion :)
    So it is! :)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

That was not a typo. He means the "old" [ polite for "white" ] Commonwealth countries.
    Just retract that remark - unacceptable
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,898

Pulpstar said:

Tinker, tailor....

Johnny English 3 is coming out in the New Year. I worry that Boris hasn't made parodies of the Foreign Office redundant
  • Options
    Surbiton the Emma Dent Coad of PB.
  • Options

Surbiton the Emma Dent Coad of PB.

I am appalled by his crass remark - he is out of order in a big way
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Yeah, with a massive depreciation of the NZ dollar from 1973 to the mid-1980s (over 70%).
    edit: against USD that is.
  • Options
    Looks as if Chester is in for a bonus booze bonanza as Wales follows Scotland with minimum alcohol pricing
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    If "managing just fine" encompasses being the most suicide-prone business sector in the most suicide-prone country in the world, they did.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    On the topic of military coups, my geography tutor at university once said:

"Ah yes, Equitorial Guinea. Just about the only place on the planet that would be better off with Mark Thatcher in charge."
  • Options

Looks as if Chester is in for a bonus booze bonanza as Wales follows Scotland with minimum alcohol pricing

And lucky old Bristol.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Coming soon booze cruises to Severn Beach and Avonmouth....
  • Options

Every South African I have talked to over the past 2-3 years says it is going to hell in a hand basket. Violent crime and corruption is so rampant, it makes doing any sort of business very dangerous and really not worth the risk.

What country can thrive under those sort of conditions, let alone one that already has massive poverty, etc etc etc.
    71 farm murders last year.

https://www.enca.com/south-africa/map-farm-murders-across-sa

It does need to be in the context that RSA has had a phenomenal rate of violent crime for years, and not just in rural areas.

Each SA president does seem worse than the last, but on the other hand it is a democracy and does have a dynamic business economy.

I don't see it going the way of Zim, but when there it is important to always be aware of surroundings and people. There are a lot of desperate people with firearms and nothing to lose.

Great scenery, wildlife, culture and hospitality though. It really is a world in one country.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    Just as the tolls are going from the Severn crossings
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    If I remember correctly there are a number of massive supermarkets and Cash n Carry type operators on the stretch of the M5 west of Bristol. They are going to be in for a bumper old time.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385
    tlg86 said:

"Ah yes, Equitorial Guinea. Just about the only place on the planet that would be better off with Mark Thatcher in charge."

I doubt if you could say that with a straight face even of Venezuela or Somalia.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Yeah, with a massive depreciation of the NZ dollar from 1973 to the mid-1980s (over 70%).
    NZ farm subsidies went in the mid eighties as I recall, as part of Rogernomics.

As a country where the economy is based on agriculture and tourism it was absurd to tax producers to subsidise producers. NZ also has possoble the best agricultural land and climate in the world. What works for them may not work for our farmers.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    On a wider point, as the Scots and the Welsh assemblies gain devolved tax raising powers, real tax competition will take place between England, Scotland and Wales
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    If I remember correctly there are a number of massive supermarkets and Cash n Carry type operators on the stretch of the M5 west of Bristol. They are going to be in for a bumper old time.
    The border regions of Scotland and Wales will have a bumper time unless England follows
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
    Is this inverse exceptionalism?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    The border regions of Scotland and Wales will have a bumper time unless England follows
    And England becomes a tax haven from Scotland and Wales !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

tlg86 said:

I doubt if you could say that with a straight face even of Venezuela or Somalia.
    This was back in 07ish so before Venezuela went tits up, but I agree that he was exaggerating.

One thing he did call right was the political talent of one of his former pupils, our current PM:

"She was a very nice girl, but I don't think much of her as a politician."
  • Options

geoffw said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    NZ farm subsidies went in the mid eighties as I recall, as part of Rogernomics.

As a country where the economy is based on agriculture and tourism it was absurd to tax producers to subsidise producers. NZ also has possoble the best agricultural land and climate in the world. What works for them may not work for our farmers.
    You are right.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
    So be it. Sink or swim.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,446
    edited November 2017

AndyJS said:

Catalonia, 2017.
    You need an atlas.

Since how long has Spain been in North West Europe?
    Spain, 1981.

(well, Spain does have an Atlantic coastline :) )

(and Berlin, 1944, that was more Central Europe than NW)
  • Options

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
    So be it. Sink or swim.
    And if they sink, we eat ...?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
    So be it. Sink or swim.
    The imports that made them sink?
  • Options
    @AlastairMeeks - Oh dear. That looks like it's burning on the inside rather than the outside, unless it's round the other side of the building.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited November 2017
    tlg86 said:

@AlastairMeeks - Oh dear. That looks like it's burning on the inside rather than the outside, unless it's round the other side of the building.

Not on the news channels

Edited - it's not in London is it otherwise it would be all over the media
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ishmael_Z said:

surbiton said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

Straw picking
    Ours can't.
    So be it. Sink or swim.
    The imports that made them sink?
    Yum, and how sustainable!
  • Options
    Edge of West Belfast? Fire looks almost as bad as Grenfell.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Not on the news channels
    Fingers crossed that as it's early evening everyone can get out okay.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.
    We really shouldn't encourage alcoholics road trips.

In pracice it is only the cheap gutrot that will be affected, the 8 Ace.

It will be interesting to see the effect on public health.

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,369
    edited November 2017

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

It was the Scots Whisky Assoc who took it to the high court.

And you will not stop anyone seeking a bargain by moralising

And it is suggested a rise of £4 on a bottle of spirits
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    Wonder if Beijing is involved in the Zimbabwe coup in some shape or form.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Not on the news channels
    Fingers crossed that as it's early evening everyone can get out okay.
    Seems under control and everyone evacuated thankfully
  • Options
    That fire doesn’t look good. Pray that everyone got out, at least it’s not in the middle of the night.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

I dont believe that it will have the effect intended, but will wait for the results.

We shouldn't encourage undermining of devolved governments policy though.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

I dont believe that it will have the effect intended, but will wait for the results.

Why
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

The rise is only afecting the bottom end. Better whisky will be the same price.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

Why
    Because England should be a good neighbour.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    First vote today:

295 - 311. A bit closer than yesterday.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

The price of more expensive brands will rise precisely because they will need to differentiate their product, otherwise people will think it's "only as good" as the cheap stuff. Unfortunately that's how psychology works.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

Why
    Because England should be a good neighbour.
    Like Scotland is with their tuition fee policy?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

First vote today:

295 - 311. A bit closer than yesterday.

What amendment was this?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

Not strictly true. Morrisons has a two for £22 offer on at the moment. If one was to fulfill it with 2 bottles of Bacardi then that is 525 ml of alcohol which will have a minimum price of £26.25 under Scottish proposals
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I see the Amber Rudd cheerleaders are out.She could only be on a zero hours contract because of the size of her majority in Hastings.The way it is heading she's a gonna at the next GE.Rudd would only provide a short-term palliative to the needs of the nation,or the fundamental systemic problems of the Conservative party on the basis of age demographics,etc etc.Mr Corbyn is ready to serve.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Ishmael_Z said:

And lucky old Bristol.

Not strictly true. Morrisons has a two for £22 offer on at the moment. If one was to fulfill it with 2 bottles of Bacardi then that is 525 ml of alcohol which will have a minimum price of £26.25 under Scottish proposals
    Interesting definition of whisky you've got there ;)
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

AndyJS said:

He's got a horrible record. But sometimes people with horrible records turn out to be pragmatic leaders.
This discussion has been closed.