Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday newspaper front pages as they come in

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Sunday newspaper front pages as they come in

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,957
    edited March 2013
    I like this new newspaper feature
  • What's the cause of the TB timebomb?
  • samsam Posts: 727
    Google "tb uk" and press 'news'... The first two stories are somewhat contradictory!

• john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    The ScreamingEagles

Immigration,London has been the TB capital of Europe for the past 10 years or so.
  • AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited March 2013
    @TheScreamingEagles

What's the cause of the TB timebomb?

Immigration.

Could it be anything else?
  • Tomorrow is World TB day.

Who knew?
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    edited March 2013
    @TheScreamingEagles We spend a lot of time at this time of night looking at the front pages. Thanks to the excellent widget from BBC news we can provide an ongoing service.

At the moment there's doesn't seem to be much political news about.
    @TheScreamingEagles

Tomorrow is World TB day.

Can we have a World PB day?
    @MikeSmithson

At the moment there's doesn't seem to be much political new about.

Give it time, Mike.

I think the political journalists are waiting for the budget to unravel.
  • @mikesmithson

Yes, after the fun and profits of Eastleigh, things are quiet.

Now that Alex Salmond has named a date for the Scottish Referendum, that should increase the political news and excitement.

Only 544 days to go.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    "Posh: I'll never sing again"

I do hope that's a promise...
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited March 2013
    Can someone tell me who is the out of touch(or thick) bishop is on front of the observer ?
  • NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Latest poll in Ireland:

FG - 28%
    FF - 24%
    SF - 14%
    Lab - 13%
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,841
    Is Holly Willoughby a victim of press intrusion ?
    edited March 2013
    FPT @another_richard

Why were you walking around with a briefcase full of six month's of expenses?

Driving, ar, in a malcolmg type 'smash the windows and take what you want' type company car. On expenses, I have always been the world's worst claimer, tending to hoard then to prepare claims in an all-nighter essay crisis annually in arrears.

And did you claim the £100 on your expenses as well?

No! Balancing items were entitled "airport snacks",

I hope the dealer on the corner provided you with a receipt.

He didn't. He was VAT exempt.

But I'm afraid you haven't sold the 'aspiration' of Notting Hill to me, I'll have to make do with Richmond on my visits to London.

My patch is next door to Notting Hill out west but I nearly bought right in the heart of Portobello Road. I regret it now. Notting Hill is ugly in places but definitely a fun place to live.

Richmond is ugly in very few places but not nearly as much fun.
  • IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    Test
  • old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    @RodCrosby
    http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/1744/#Comment_1744
    I did not know she ever sang in the first place.
    It sounds like a castrato saying I'll never f*ck again.
  • @pulpstar

Please don't talk about Holly Willoughby, it will distract me

Here she is in the Daily Mail

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2297955/Holly-Willoughby-admits-welcomes-fascination-assets.html
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    Socrates - Previous thread, but the key thing is Obama opposed the Iraq War in 2003 when that was a minority view while Clinton supported it and such a position would also have placed him to the left of Nixon who you also mentioned. The point also remains that the US is well to the right of centre compared to the rest of the world, and while Obama is clearly no Hollande or Chavez he is also clearly to the left of centre in US terms even though he would be centrist outside the US. While he did extend the Bush tax cuts, he also ended them for the richest.
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    In Leicester we are the highest per capita for TB, often from second or third generation going to visit family, and coming back with it.
    @Avery

Stop kidding us Avery, we know you're an Elephant and Castle guy at heart.
  • @Neil

Fianna Fáil would be in the lead if ol' Brian was in charge.
    @Neil

What has to happen for Labour to break through in Ireland!
  • volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    I first started nursing in a TB hospital.Streptomycin was thought to be the answer but I learnt it was a disease primarily caused by poverty and inequality.It is certainly not the fault of "lifestyle choice" as it is always painted.Greedy doctors is the problem.
    @volcanopete

Greedy doctors to blame? please explain.
    @TSE

Fianna Fail have been in the lead with other pollsters! Could FG / Lab be the first Government to implement huge austerity in Europe but manage to hold onto power? They are 13/8 with Paddy Power (as is FG / FF!). I wouldnt bet on the formation of the next Government though, too many potential spoilers.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    TB in Britain: absolutely nothing to do with immigration, of course.
    @Neil

we know you're an Elephant and Castle guy at heart

Three years only, Neil, I'm afraid. Sandwiched between longer stints North of the river.

But it was the jam.
  • @neil

Could Sinn Fein be in government in both Irish governments?
  • Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 4m

Pie chat from Observer/Opinium poll on what those sampled think will happen @ #GE2015. http://bit.ly/168KcNn pic.twitter.com/emry3mncrL
    Front of the observer - immigration fears 'stoked by politicians',says bishop.

http://www.politicshome.com/uk/article/75097/the_observer_saturday_23rd_march_2013.html

Is this the same bishop,a story from 2010.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/jan/07/religion-fears-for-2010-politics
    @IOS

The Irish Labour party has about much support in rural areas as your opinions about the countryside would have but in Ireland that's much more limiting to electoral prospects.
    @TSE

Paddy Power's shortest odds for SF involvement in Government in the Republic is 12/1 (FF/SF). If the maths dont allow for FG / Lab / someone else or FF / Lab then it would be an interesting question which of the FG / FF or FF / SF historical taboos would be broken first.
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    @Tykejohnno

If it's in the Observer or Guardian, then you can assume it's a nutter: Ignore

If it's in both: Run.
    @Neil

Is there no chance of the countryside growing up anytime soon?
  • hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Good news whatever your politics. Posh spice says that she will not be singing again !!!!!
    @IOS

Is there no chance of the countryside growing up anytime soon?

It depends how you water it, IOS.
    @IOS

Some would ask the same question of you, IOS!
  • @neil

If Sinn Fein can go into government with Ian Paisley's DUP, anything is possible.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    Does anyone else think Compton will not make 50 by lunch? I do not believe England can win tests with him and Trott at the top of the order. They may in fairness save a few but they will not win.

Currently on a strike rate of 16.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sunday newpaper front pages continued ....

"Auchentennach on Sunday" - Regional Limits On LibDem Immigration Lifted

"The Auchentennach Express" - Princess Di Influencing House Price Hike In Village

"The Sunday Auchentennian" - It's Nippy Out

"The Sunday Sunil" - Trainspotter Missing In Auchentennach
    @TSE

Sinn Fein has to share power with the DUP in the North. They can easily become a party of Government in the Republic. But the most likely route would be to simply become Fianna Fail. Their current brand of hard left politics has a relatively low ceiling of support in Ireland.
  • @DavidL

I'm a huge fan of Trotty.

They said the same of Cook and Trott and they've done pretty well for England.

Just ask the Australians, Chef and Trotty were the architects of 517/1
    Why are bishops always so out of touch with the public?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    its the bishop of Dudley. Granted he's a bishop but clearly he's not one of the leading policy setting lights.
  • Compton definitely won't be making 50 before lunch.

All we need now is Bell to get out, and the two Yorkshire batsman will lead us to victory.
  • NextNext Posts: 826
    @AndyJS

Why are bishops always so out of touch with the public?

Presumably because if they agreed with the public, they wouldn't have anything to say...
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    Compton out. DRS review and he's LBW. 61-3
    Nick Compton is LBW to Southee following a DRS review.
  • England are in deep poo. Which they deserve for taking the mickey and bowling.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,762
    @TheScreamingEagles

I agree about Trott and Compton in fairness looks a solid player. I just think you can have too much of a good thing and the ability to change the pace is needed. I would have Bell as an opener for that reason.

Well that resolves that issue anyway.
  • @lucian_fletcher

It's an opportunity for Root and Bairstow to show the world how awesome they are.
  • hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Iain Martin telegraph tonight http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/9949573/The-Budget-will-do-nothing-for-the-nations-finances.html

" If a Labour government, or a Labour-led coalition is the most likely outcome of the election, based on the current state of public opinion, they will soon need some proper ideas on boosting British industry.

What seems most likely is that an administration led by Mr Miliband will come under pressure to increase spending and borrowing more, leading to another economic cataclysm. Fostering fear of such an outcome is increasingly the Tories best, if not only, hope. "

Not sure I am as pessimistic about what Labour could achieve given the change, but yes they will be under pressure to borrow and spend. It really depends on whether their alternative policies create sufficient growth.
    9:31PM @Tykejohnno The whole point of using the widget is that you don't need to post links to front pages from elsewhere.
    @Neil

Meh. Even the republicans are accepting they have to come round to mine - and i suspect - our view on social issues,
    Star & Sunday Express now in. Just refresh to reload widget
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 48,911
    @JackW

The Sunday Sunil? The Sunday Sunil?

It's The Sunil on Sunday!
    edited March 2013
    @MikeSmithson,sorry mr smithson,I went to that site so I could see if any more papers had come in Quicker ;-) and the paper was more clearer .
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    I think LBWs should now be treated the same as run outs.

With run outs, umpires don't guess the decision with the captain having to decide whether to appeal it. The reason is run outs are cut and dried - if remotely close the umpire just sends it for review.

It should now be the same with LBWs - if close, the umpire should send it for review. Then you get the right decision every time, rather than the current lottery of two captain's appeals.

Hawkeye is definitive. You could also build in a margin for error - ie if only a half or quarter of the ball is hitting the stumps then it's Not Out.
  • samsam Posts: 727
    This was discussed on here a while back, David the Con would be a fan! What are the reasons for stopping long term benefit claimants from spending their/our money on booze fags and sky tv?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/mar/22/ukip-benefits-claimants-tobacco-alcohol?CMP=twt_gu
    @IOS

Yes, but the Irish Labour party doesnt hold a monopoly on socially liberal views in the Republic.
  • I've not been onsite for the last couple of days, so what do PB's great unwashed think about Vanilla?

I love it, as it gives me a seamless segue to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog8ou-ZepE
  • frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Southee is bowling directly at the stumps. I didn't think that was allowed.
    @TSE

It's OK, much better better than Disqus in its crappy state last week. But I do miss the "like" button. We at the Sunil on Sunday will have to think of a different measure of our circulation figures!
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    @Sunil_Prasannan

You've got a rival !!
  • @frpenkridge LOL. Cheat! Excellent captaincy from McCullum too. He's setting a field to try and take wickets, the BOUNDER!
  • Lol

BRITS will bask in glorious sunshine this month as March 2013 is tipped to be the hottest on record.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/302111
    @TSE

@JackW

There can be only one!

:)
  • Bell End.
    Front of the sunday express,brits to get homes first.

Unworkable,more rubbish from politicians.
    Great start to the 3rd day for me, book is all nice and green.
    What did I say 10 mins ago?

Classic example of why all LBWs should go to review.

I know if Bell had challenged it it wouldn't have been overturned. But if it had been given Not Out and NZ had challenged it it would have stayed Not Out.

It's a total farce, a complete lottery. Just review the lot with consistent standards and get everything right.
    edited March 2013
    No. The LBW rules are quite right, they retain the decision of the umpire whilst getting rid of the howlers.

When Cook wins the toss in the Ashes he needs to Bat, or if he thinks about having a bowl, decide to bat.
  • @Pulpstar mine too. Have Root to top score for England @ 8 is my big hope now.
  • Lucian_FletcherLucian_Fletcher Posts: 793
    edited March 2013
    @MikeL review every time the ball hits the pad? We'd be here forever when a spinner is on. Monty or Swann would take 20 mins to get through an over. If you want to avoid farce, you are not providing an answer.
    Aren't LBWs caused by sudden gusts of wind?

:)
    Pulpstar - But why? Do you think the Umpire is a better judge than Hawk Eye? Seriously?

Why not then use the Umpire for all run outs (ie Umpire must give a decision) and then let people appeal that?

It's a nonsense - it's retaining the Umpire for old fashioned, traditional reasons rather than just getting the best possible decisions.
    edited March 2013
    Lucian - No. Umpire refers if he thinks it's remotely close. No captain's reviews. Just like run outs.
  • Looks like Jonny Bairstow is out.
    New Zealand get their second DRS LBW of the morning as Bairstow goes.
    Its still a game that should be judged by the umpires, now with the aid of assistance when needed. LBW decisions are generally very well given and as a general rule the umpire should judge as much of the game as possible, not hawk-eye.
    Also there is this reason, cricket is a game where if there is doubt the batsman is favoured. If every possible LBW decision was reviewed upstairs alot more batsmen would be given out in marginal cases, even where say the top of leg's bail is simply clipped, with no umpire decision these will have to be given out whereas they wouldn't have before. Plus it would slow the game.

And plum !
  • @pulpstar

It's Plumb, not plum
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    @AveryLP

"What's the cause of the TB timebomb?

Immigration.

Muslim immigrant cats surely? ;)

Anyway I think the balance of technology in cricket is excellent right now, the sport with the most hilarious problems re technology (or lackof) is most definitely football.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2013
    I must say I am somewhat surprised at how many people are still predicting a coalition government of some stripe in 2015, especially given how little people have seemed to like the necessity of coalition politics. Having been predicting a Labour majority for three years, I'm not about to change my tune now, but this poll seems pretty confident the public expects another hung parliament, despite it being so rare up to now.
    DRS - is that Direct Rail Services?
  • MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    With still more than two years until the GE, I think that we can disregard any and all polls on what the outcome is likely to be. As Wilson said: a week is a long time in politics. Two years is an eon if not more.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392
    edited March 2013
    @MIkeK

But then what would political wonks like us have to obsess over? Actual policies and actions taken? Absurdity - and I doubt the politicians would want us to at this stage either; judge us on our record in 2 years, they'll say.
  • Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited March 2013
    @kle4

Probably because we have a coalition now so at first glance another one seems more likely, even though, as you correctly point out, it just isn't under FPTP.
    DRS = Decision Review System. Amazing that cricket uses TV replays but football doesn't.
    I think the public are right in believing a majority government is unlikely with only 34% expecting that to happen.
    New Zealand's 440 odd is looking more like 600 now !
  • I think it is fair to say that nobody now thinks the decision to bowl first was right. The question I was asking myself loudly in the car at 4am when we started to lose wickets was: Would we have invited Graeme Smith to take first use of this pitch? Would we bunnies.
    Is it me or does Matt Prior look like a certain action movie star :P ?

Hopefully his wicket won't be 'expendable' here.
    Fact: England have only followed on once in 96 Tests against New Zealand, at Christchurch in 1984.
  • @Pulpstar Except the ICC disgracefully allowing India to make the rules different for them than for everyone else.

I note that hotspot was also not available in WI v Zim. The same playing conditions should be used for all Test matches.
  • scoopscoop Posts: 64
    Mike
    So pleased with the new format thank you?
    edited March 2013
    @Lucian_Fletcher Like England's decision to bowl here the DRS system decision spat up in their face ! I assume they'd have walloped Australia with or without it too.
    Didn't know about WI v Zim.
  • @lucian_fletcher

Not every broadcaster/host nation can afford the costs of hot spot, and the ICC won't fund it.
This discussion has been closed.