Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Facts and fantasies about public ownership. Don Brind looks at

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The thing is, with so many "private" utilities at the moment, we have the worst of both worlds: the disadvantages of nationalisation AND the disadvantages of privatisation.

Privatisation is supposedly meant to drive up the standards of services because, theoretically, the customer will go elsewhere if they're not satisfied - but, in practice, because so many privatised industries in this country are basically monopolies or cartels, they have no incentive to lower their prices or provide a better service, because they have no proper competitors and/or are conspiring with their competitors in order to maximise all of their profits (the "Big Six" energy companies).

So most of the privatised utilities can essentially take their customer base completely for granted in exactly the same way that nationalised industries can. Yet, at least with nationalisation, they wouldn't be jacking up their prices constantly to line their own pockets, and there would at least (theoretically) be a chance to democratically force changes to happen if we were really unhappy, through elections. As of now, there's no way of holding the managers of privatised industries to account.

The problem with privatisation is this:

Example 1: State-run. Costs 100 units. Charges 100 units. No profit. But it charges 100 units.
    Example 2: Private-run. Costs 85 units. Charges 90 units. Makes 5 units profit. But it charges 90 units.

People don't see that (2) is cheaper for them than (1) by 10 units. They just see the 5 unit profit at "their expense", and get annoyed by it.
    But our privatised industries are very often more expensive to use than publicly-owned ones in other countries.

I wouldn't have a problem with private-utility owners making a (relatively modest) profit if it genuinely produced better services, but, in my view, it doesn't.
    You clearly never dealt with a nationalised utility.

It is the threat of competition, the mercy of the market, that drives customer service.

I remember BR, just; it was awful. Train travel today is 5 x better than it was 20 years ago. And I got to Cambridge and back yesterday, via London for £51.50. Bargain.
    But how much competition does a private rail company face?
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204

chrisoxon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit note:
    "Davis says transition deal will not apply unless there is an overall final Brexit deal as well."

https://theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/oct/17/david-davis-brexit-statement-boris-johnson-holding-up-progress-in-brexit-talks-claims-merkel-ally-politics-live

WTF?

If there isn’t an “end point” how can you “transition” to it?
    1. There is no chance of there being any kind of deal negotiated in the remaining time.
    2. The "transition deal" is therefore in fact a "negotiation deal".
    3. The negotiation deal will last a lot longer than two years.

is how.
    The way Mrs May has been acting, you wouldn't think she and her government are relaxed about having no deal.
    Hammond today endorsed an independent OECD report saying it would be mad for the economy to go ahead with Brexit. It's clear to anyone not emotionally invested in it where this is heading...
    To Mr Hammond losing his job?
    I don't think he is freelancing. Do you?
    Freelancing? Everything he has been saying as of late has been carefully choreographed and forms a coherent narrative doesn't it?

Hammond is a man desperately grasping at straws.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

The thing is, with so many "private" utilities at the moment, we have the worst of both worlds: the disadvantages of nationalisation AND the disadvantages of privatisation.

Privatisation is supposedly meant to drive up the standards of services because, theoretically, the customer will go elsewhere if they're not satisfied - but, in practice, because so many privatised industries in this country are basically monopolies or cartels, they have no incentive to lower their prices or provide a better service, because they have no proper competitors and/or are conspiring with their competitors in order to maximise all of their profits (the "Big Six" energy companies).

So most of the privatised utilities can essentially take their customer base completely for granted in exactly the same way that nationalised industries can. Yet, at least with nationalisation, they wouldn't be jacking up their prices constantly to line their own pockets, and there would at least (theoretically) be a chance to democratically force changes to happen if we were really unhappy, through elections. As of now, there's no way of holding the managers of privatised industries to account.

Example 1: State-run. Costs 100 units. Charges 100 units. No profit. But it charges 100 units.
    Example 2: Private-run. Costs 85 units. Charges 90 units. Makes 5 units profit. But it charges 90 units.

People don't see that (2) is cheaper for them than (1) by 10 units. They just see the 5 unit profit at "their expense", and get annoyed by it.
    But our privatised industries are very often more expensive to use than publicly-owned ones in other countries.

I wouldn't have a problem with private-utility owners making a (relatively modest) profit if it genuinely produced better services, but, in my view, it doesn't.

It is the threat of competition, the mercy of the market, that drives customer service.

I remember BR, just; it was awful. Train travel today is 5 x better than it was 20 years ago. And I got to Cambridge and back yesterday, via London for £51.50. Bargain.
    Plenty, for my daily commute, of Dore/Sheffield to Manchester, I can go on three different operators.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,756
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

From London to Scotland, Virgin East Coast competes against Virgin West Coast...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,811
    edited October 2017
    TOPPING said:

Brexit note:
    "Davis says transition deal will not apply unless there is an overall final Brexit deal as well."

https://theguardian.com/politics/blog/live/2017/oct/17/david-davis-brexit-statement-boris-johnson-holding-up-progress-in-brexit-talks-claims-merkel-ally-politics-live

WTF?

I think what he means is that the transition gets agreed first in principle, to give businesses and others a degree of certainty, and then is confirmed assuming the other elements of the A50 talks get resolved. It's not a ridiculous suggestion but the EU want to do it the other way round to put pressure on the UK for those other elements. They hold the cards
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,925

chrisoxon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit note:

WTF?

1. There is no chance of there being any kind of deal negotiated in the remaining time.

is how.
    The way Mrs May has been acting, you wouldn't think she and her government are relaxed about having no deal.
    Hammond today endorsed an independent OECD report saying it would be mad for the economy to go ahead with Brexit. It's clear to anyone not emotionally invested in it where this is heading...
    I know that you think we will end up staying in the EU (and I'll admit I thought there was no chance of that but have revised my view a bit)... but do you really think May is the person to make that dramatic shift in policy? Is that what you are suggesting?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Plenty, for my daily commute, of Dore/Sheffield to Manchester, I can go on three different operators.
    If I want to travel from Norwich to London I only have a single operator - and I am sure that is pretty typical.
  • Options

justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

There is only competition if you can buy an operator-specific ticket. Otherwise there is just a sharing out of the money.

A few routes do have some degree of competition, e.g. York - Newcastle, Birmingham - London, but these are the exception, rather than the rule.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,454
    justin124 said:

Mortimer said:

Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Franchise renewal?
  • Options
    My irony meter broke, Nadine Dorries asking for the whip to be removed from Tories that don't support the government.

https://twitter.com/NadineDorries/status/919844526524715008
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited October 2017
    Mortimer said:

That's precisely the point: most of our privatised-utility companies don't face any competition in reality, so they don't feel they need to bother improving customer service. Hence why, with the current system, we get the disadvantages of nationalisation (no commercial incentives or pressure to provide a better service) with the disadvantages of privatisation (profit motive meaning prices are constantly ramped up without coinciding improvements in service).

Also, as Stephen Bush has pointed out, the subsamples of the polls show that old people are actually more likely to support renationalising industries than young people - in other words, the people who have experienced both British Rail and the current system overwhelmingly think BR was better.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    edited October 2017
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In Singapore the state also spends just 14% of gdp compared to 42% in the UK and taxes just 17% of gdp compared to 36% in the UK.

It is also not the case that all European rail is fully nationalised, even Sweden has some private rail companies, though I accept UK public opinion favours rail renationalisation at the moment

But where is rail renationalisation in the list of priorities? How many of those who commute by car for example want umpteen billions spent on the trains versus the NHS? Where Corbyn's Labour is utterly exposed is in believing they can have all of these things.
    Railtrack collapsed and has already been replaced by Network Rail . I think the intention is to return the services to the public sector as existing franchises expire. Not much cost involved there.
    Did Railtrack really collapse? I seem to recall it was deliberately undermined by the government of the day (whichever that was).

edited to add: good afternoon, everyone.
  • Options

There is only competition if you can buy an operator-specific ticket. Otherwise there is just a sharing out of the money.

A few routes do have some degree of competition, e.g. York - Newcastle, Birmingham - London, but these are the exception, rather than the rule.

I do buy operator specific tickets on a regular basis.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Riddle me this.

The transformation in service upon privatisation was far from only a British phenomenon

Stint one in Belgium - telephone line 3 months appointment any time during the day, maybe.
    Stint two in Belgium - telephone line day after tomorrow at 10.15, sorry we can’t do it any faster.

Far too often politicians prioritise producers over consumers (they are far fewer but much more focused and vocal) - writ large with nationalised industries...

How far apart were these two stints? Are you telling us there were no technological advances between the two periods which could possibly account for it?
  • Options

My irony meter broke, Nadine Dorries asking for the whip to be removed from Tories that don't support the government.

Terrorist sympathisers? She's being a bit harsh on the DUP there.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

justin124 said:

HYUFD said:

In Singapore the state also spends just 14% of gdp compared to 42% in the UK and taxes just 17% of gdp compared to 36% in the UK.

It is also not the case that all European rail is fully nationalised, even Sweden has some private rail companies, though I accept UK public opinion favours rail renationalisation at the moment

But where is rail renationalisation in the list of priorities? How many of those who commute by car for example want umpteen billions spent on the trains versus the NHS? Where Corbyn's Labour is utterly exposed is in believing they can have all of these things.
    Railtrack collapsed and has already been replaced by Network Rail . I think the intention is to return the services to the public sector as existing franchises expire. Not much cost involved there.
    Did Railtrack really collapse? I seem to recall it was deliberately undermined by the government of the day (whichever that was).

edited to add: good afternoon, everyone.
    The Blair government, who used the opening day of the the Afghanistan war to seize it.

A Sunday no less.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,176
    rkrkrk said:

chrisoxon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit note:

WTF?

is how.
    I know that you think we will end up staying in the EU (and I'll admit I thought there was no chance of that but have revised my view a bit)... but do you really think May is the person to make that dramatic shift in policy? Is that what you are suggesting?
    I don't know is the honest answer. I used to think the way May could play it would be to get a 'deal' and then call a second referendum in which she would remain neutral. The strategy would have been to negotiate the best possible deal by showing the EU that we really are serious about leaving, but then giving the people the final say. The feasibility of this option seems to be fading, not least because the EU aren't willing to be toyed with, so it might all collapse in a more dramatic fashion.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

chrisoxon said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit note:

WTF?

is how.
    I don't know is the honest answer. I used to think the way May could play it would be to get a 'deal' and then call a second referendum in which she would remain neutral. The strategy would have been to negotiate the best possible deal by showing the EU that we really are serious about leaving, but then giving the people the final say. The feasibility of this option seems to be fading, not least because the EU aren't willing to be toyed with, so it might all collapse in a more dramatic fashion.
    The more the EU acts like an organisation we don't want to be part of, the greater the chance that we will Remain.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, Miss JGP.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,872

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Brexit note:

WTF?

is how.
    Is why I'm tempted to vote for Boris as next PM, only he could repent over the sin of Brexit, and take the country.

We all know Boris puts his own ambition first, does he really want to be the man that trashed the economy and made Corbyn PM, Hellz no.

BJ4PM.
    There is something in your mazy logic... but the assumption that BoJo would see sense is a big one, and makes it a huge gamble.
  • Options

Corbyn is probably her inspiration....

A thread on the benefits of nationalisation... Sheesh, these are worrying days and I'm not just thinking of tonight's game!
  • Options

A thread on the benefits of nationalisation... Sheesh, these are worrying days and I'm not just thinking of tonight's game!
    All gone to shit since Cameron retired and the pound shop Gordon Brown fired George Osborne.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902
    edited October 2017
    Good afternoon, does anyone know why #CabinetReshuffle is trending on twitter?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

The more the EU acts like an organisation we don't want to be part of, the greater the chance that we will Remain.

A paradox, but you have something there. I said previously there was little likelihood of the EU offering us a deal so bad it would be better to walk away. I should revise that a bit. It is conceivable, although I don't think it likely, that the offered deal would be so bad we might as well walk away and save ourselves the €60 billion. Deal and no deal are as bad as each other and we're fucked either way. In that case the only sensible response is to plead with the EU to let us stay. I think we will do better than that, however.

• Options

All gone to shit since Cameron retired and the pound shop Gordon Brown fired George Osborne.
    Or perhaps since the Quad broke up....
  • Options

Admiring another party, that’s Mark Reckless talk.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited October 2017
    Chameleon said:

new day-time furniture make-over programme on itv3.... surely...
  • Options

All gone to shit since 6th May 2010 imo.
  • Options
    chrisoxonchrisoxon Posts: 204
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

That's precisely the point: most of our privatised-utility companies don't face any competition in reality, so they don't feel they need to bother improving customer service. Hence why, with the current system, we get the disadvantages of nationalisation (no commercial incentives or pressure to provide a better service) with the disadvantages of privatisation (profit motive meaning prices are constantly ramped up without coinciding improvements in service).

Also, as Stephen Bush has pointed out, the subsamples of the polls show that old people are actually more likely to support renationalising industries than young people - in other words, the people who have experienced both British Rail and the current system overwhelmingly think BR was better.
    They don't face competition as long as people insist on remaining with the Big Six despite the fact it costs them more. It's the same electricity and gas coming down the same pipes - go for the cheaper alternatives!

If anyone fancies the cheapest rates at the moment and giving my better half an Amazon gift card please do feel free to switch to Tonik - https://tonikenergy.mention-me.com/m/fb/zq9ci-stephanie-garnett They aren't part of the easy switch service offered by the comparison websites but changing was just as easy. I like the fact they pay interest on my account balance too.
  • Options
    At some point perhaps people will realise it might be the players, not the manager at Leicester.

Totally understandable after last season. They need someone they are in mortal fear of - Big Sam springs to mind.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

South African Government reshuffle.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,469
  • Options

Hmm... Boris or Beaker....
  • Options

Hmm... Boris or Beaker....
    I sympathise. I voted Lib Dem at the general election, to save one of the Quad.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060
    edited October 2017

We'll have to differ on that.... getting rid of THE worst Chancellor and then Prime Minister (still) of my lifetime is still a day of celebration in Scrap towers.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    In other news RPI is now at 3.9%, making the interest on student loans 6.9%! A student in the last year of their course will accrue 3,500 odd pounds of interest alone this year... and people wonder why the couple of hundred quid that generous Phil gave us a few weeks ago didn't have much effect.
  • Options
    Craig Shakespeare sacked.

I wonder if the media can come up with some puns.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

South African Government reshuffle.
    Ah thank you, for a moment I was getting excited that Mrs May was about to get reshuffled.
  • Options
    For what it's worth now when I meet new people the standard is to add them on snapchat.
  • Options

I see that Leicester are adopting the 'Watford' approach to football management.
  • Options
    chrisoxon said:

Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

They don't face competition as long as people insist on remaining with the Big Six despite the fact it costs them more. It's the same electricity and gas coming down the same pipes - go for the cheaper alternatives!

If anyone fancies the cheapest rates at the moment and giving my better half an Amazon gift card please do feel free to switch to Tonik - https://tonikenergy.mention-me.com/m/fb/zq9ci-stephanie-garnett They aren't part of the easy switch service offered by the comparison websites but changing was just as easy. I like the fact they pay interest on my account balance too.
    Those of us who can be arsed to switch are being subsidised by those who don't have the nous/time/facilities to switch. Generally those losing subsidising us are the poorer or older sections of society.

It's not even a zero-sum game of course because collectively we all pay for the advertising, call centres, IT and admin required to support switching. The whole utilities 'market' is a crap idea, implemented in a crap way.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    This Post is wrong on so may levels I do not know where to start. But for anybody who is interested in Singapore the home ownership rate is 90.8% and the second highest in the would! if you doubt me please google it. or please check this link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_home_ownership_rate

Singapore has one of the freest economy in the would with total government as a % of GDP at only around 20% and overall is the 2nd freest economy in the would! for those that are interested:

https://object.cato.org/sites/cato.org/files/pubs/efw/efw2017/efw-2017-chapter-2.pdf

Singapore is on page 158. Economic freedom, leas to grater prosperity, and more equal distribution of that prosperity, protections of civil liberty's, and is a bulwark against oppression.

The '20% of GDP controlled by the government' in the article is simple the fact that the Singaporean have properly funded there pensions funds, and the quote of 85% of housing being government just that most housing in Singapore is in tower blocks and there 'leasehold' 'freehold' legalese system is arranged differently to this country.

When I see people people willfully distorting the truth to advance there political course I fear for the country.

Privatize Everything!
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

In other news RPI is now at 3.9%, making the interest on student loans 6.9%! A student in the last year of their course will accrue 3,500 odd pounds of interest alone this year... and people wonder why the couple of hundred quid that generous Phil gave us a few weeks ago didn't have much effect.

The proposed raising of the income threshold when student 9% marginal tax becomes payable is a massive improvement.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

We'll have to differ on that.... getting rid of THE worst Chancellor and then Prime Minister (still) of my lifetime is still a day of celebration in Scrap towers.
    Fair enough I am sure we will disagree... but do you honestly think the country is in a better place now than in 2010?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

A paradox, but you have something there.
    Setting aside all the distortions of the Brexit campaign, there is one piece of genuinely new information that nobody before last June could have known for sure and that's the reaction of the EU. Its resilience, combined with the resurgence in public support for it across the EU, means we're in a very different political landscape from the one in which many people envisaged Brexit taking place.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,005

Fair enough I am sure we will disagree... but do you honestly think the country is in a better place now that in 2010?
    2010? Certainly.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

"That like a football you do spurn me thus". Comedy of Errors 2:1.
  • Options

Fair enough I am sure we will disagree... but do you honestly think the country is in a better place now than in 2010?
    Currently yes it most certainly is .... where it will be in 2019 is another matter.
  • Options

A Midtable Shite Team
  • Options

A Midtable Shite Team
    Come on be fair, Mane will be back soon.... [hides before next sunday]
  • Options

No question.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Setting aside all the distortions of the Brexit campaign, there is one piece of genuinely new information that nobody before last June could have known for sure and that's the reaction of the EU. Its resilience, combined with the resurgence in public support for it across the EU, means we're in a very different political landscape from the one in which many people envisaged Brexit taking place.
    No, no, you must have that wrong William... once we decided to leave the whole EU house of cards was going to come tumbling down.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,010

Chameleon said:

The proposed raising of the income threshold when student 9% marginal tax becomes payable is a massive improvement.
    The interest rate on student loans doesn't actually matter these days unless you're pulling ~ 90k on graduation..
  • Options

FF43 said:

I would say broadly the EU have acted as I expected. There was a Spectator role-play exercise before the referendum, which indicated how they would react - and selling cars wasn't a factor. But you are right they have been impressively coherent so far.

I didn't expect our government to be quite so dysfunctional, but strangely it hasn't made a difference to my expected outcomes so far. I do expect the government to agree EU demands, however. We will see how that plays.
  • Options

FF43 said:

No, no, you must have that wrong William... once we decided to leave the whole EU house of cards was going to come tumbling down.
    I've never assumed that the EU is going to roll over. One would assume that both sides will act in their own interests.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

I would say broadly the EU have acted as I expected. There was a Spectator role-play exercise before the referendum, which indicated how they would react - and selling cars wasn't a factor. But you are right they have been impressively coherent so far.

I didn't expect our government to be quite so dysfunctional, but strangely it hasn't made a difference to my expected outcomes so far. I do expect the government to agree EU demands, however. We will see how that plays.
    The big difference in expectations for me was that I expected the government to have a clear majority in the Commons.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

The interest rate on student loans doesn't actually matter these days unless you're pulling ~ 90k on graduation..
    i know. it should really be renamed the well paid graduate marginal repayment tax.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

I've never assumed that the EU is going to roll over. One would assume that both sides will act in their own interests.
    Ahem there was a lot of BMW will force Merkel to ....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The big difference in expectations for me was that I expected the government to have a clear majority in the Commons.
    I don't think that makes a difference to the outcomes. It makes it more difficult for the government. I may be wrong, of course.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    TOPPING - Easy test, send the next boat load of BMWs, Mercedes back without unloading. See if anybody complains.
  • Options
    PAW said:

TOPPING - Easy test, send the next boat load of BMWs, Mercedes back without unloading. See if anybody complains.

Bring back British Leyland.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Fast forward to 36:30 and you’ll see that it was Tony Benn who pioneered that argument.

https://youtu.be/_zBFh6bpcMo
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,088
    Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

My teacher grandchildren are paying back their loans. Two/three years out of Uni. And no way are they on £90k. 27 or so.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Well I worry that if you let them in but 10% more expensive on account of WTO rules, the Brits will keep buying them on the never-never as they do today.

What percentage of car buyers do you think buy their personal use car with their own money and without a finance deal? I've no idea but I bet it's small because I can't see how all those people living in small semis in Worksop can otherwise have brand spanking new Range Rover Evoques outside their homes.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,018
    edited October 2017

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

My teacher grandchildren are paying back their loans. Two/three years out of Uni. And no way are they on £90k. 27 or so.
    I think puplstar was talking about interest, which depends on your salary, not repayment. Only at a higher salary is it RPI+3. For those on more modest salaries it is just RPI.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

Misses the point a little. How much £ do you think they are paying and at that £ rate how much will they have paid in the 30 years max window before the debt balance is written off
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

The loan rate is completely irrelevant unless they get to academy head pdq if they're post 2012 graduates with the 25k threshold incoming. It makes a colossal difference to the net cash total at 55.
  • Options
    I see Fraser Nelson is still clinging to this line that 'No Deal' is just some kind of glorified negotiating tactic.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/10/amber-rudd-says-that-a-no-deal-brexit-is-unthinkable-shes-very-wrong/

I think he's just trying to convince himself. Cliff-edge Brexit is now the prevailing desire within the Leave movement. In fact, it's amazing how the quickly and seamlessly the Ultras have seized the agenda. The Softies have barely put up a fight.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    TheScreamingEagles - the EU stopped beef imports, why not stop polluting diesels - we are mugs to allow BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes to sell cars in the UK when the EU is also fining us for air pollution from their engines. JLR diesels pass the American tests, not one German manufacturer appears to be able to do the same - so why not ban them.
  • Options
    PAW said:

TheScreamingEagles - the EU stopped beef imports, why not stop polluting diesels - we are mugs to allow BMW, Volkswagen and Mercedes to sell cars in the UK when the EU is also fining us for air pollution from their engines. JLR diesels pass the American tests, not one German manufacturer appears to be able to do the same - so why not ban them.

the sunlit uplands of Brexit.
  • Options
    PAW said:

Because I like my German cars.
  • Options
    PAW said:

There's actually a new facility being built at Immingham for the import of BMWs. (Dare I say 'Despite Brexit').

Spoil from Kellingley Colliery washeries is being used in the construction. A bit ironic that they couldn't sell any more coal, but now they are selling the waste!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

PAW said:

Youre more of a Renault driver
  • Options
    El_SidEl_Sid Posts: 145
    Worth noting what happens when government gets to do train procurement - the 125 replacement programme started in 2005, after a huge amount of toing and froing that included Virgin saying they didn't want the more expensive Hitachi trains imposed by government, the first passengers travelled this week, although services on the East Coast line won't start for more than a year.
  • Options

PAW said:

Apart from a brief flirtation with an Italian car, since about 2002 onwards I've driven nought but German cars.
  • Options
    PAW said:

'Let's start a trade war with the EU.' They should have put that on the side of the bus.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,189

TOPPING said:

Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

Fast forward to 36:30 and you’ll see that it was Tony Benn who pioneered that argument.

https://youtu.be/_zBFh6bpcMo
    Benn of course was a mentor of Corbyn and David Davis toured the country with Benn in a 2 man show.

It seems Benn is directing the UK's approach to the EU from the grave, a UK out of the EU and single market under a Corbyn government implementing socialism would be the final triumph of Bennism!
  • Options

PAW said:

Apart from a brief flirtation with an Italian car, since about 2002 onwards I've driven nought but German cars.
    chances are theyre not made there
  • Options

PAW said:

I don't care, just because I was born in a barn, it doesn't make me a horse.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

The one thing that hasn't turned out as I expected was I thought there would be a big problem with the UK's WTO membership without having our own negotiated set of schedules in place. It turns out that doesn't matter if you are already a member. It would be if we were applying for the first time.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

PAW said:

That's a straw-man argument...

• Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    BigRich said:

This Post is wrong on so may levels...

snip

Economic freedom, leas to grater prosperity, and more equal distribution of that prosperity, protections of civil liberty's, and is a bulwark against oppression.

snip

Privatize Everything!

I am not persuaded that there is any meaningful link between economic freedom and civil liberties. China is the classic counter example. Turkey looks like another one. There are many others.

Singapore is an authoritarian regime with a strong state, of course certain parts of the economy are under state control. Many countries around the world have strong state involvement in housing, transportation, energy, infrastructure. The UK is a unique exception, driven by in my view an entirely blinkered commitment to free markets. This has led to bizarre and probably disastorous experiments eg attempts to privatise defence procurement.

I doubt that there is any link whatsoever between nationalisation and strong economic performance.

• Options

PAW said:

and yet you always claim to be hung like one

• Options

PAW said:

You're calling The Duke of Wellington a straw man.

Brave.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Johnny Mercer showing sound judgment once again.
  • Options

calum said:
    By rejecting a Cameron/Osborne policy? Agreed.
  • Options

PAW said:

You're calling The Duke of Wellington a straw man.

Brave.
    He stood in Jezza's constituency a few years before Jezza claimed control.
  • Options

calum said:
    By rejecting a Cameron/Osborne policy? Agreed.
    It was ruined by IDS.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

I think it becomes a significant problem if you hit £41k, which is not unrealistic if you are 10 years in to your career in the public sector (although many will not).

Even on the lower rate, say you had borrowed £55k over three years, your loan would be increasing by about £181 per month just in interest payments at the beginning of the repayment term. So, in reality, if you are a public sector worker you will never really reduce the debt burden, it just acts as an additional tax.

Vote Corbyn, take back control.

• Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Guess Francis will have to start off Wednesday with a plate of Bacon.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,134
    El_Sid said:

Worth noting what happens when government gets to do train procurement - the 125 replacement programme started in 2005, after a huge amount of toing and froing that included Virgin saying they didn't want the more expensive Hitachi trains imposed by government, the first passengers travelled this week, although services on the East Coast line won't start for more than a year.

Yes, and as I've said passim, the IEP project is a disaster in the making. It bodes ill for any nationalised operators.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The problem is less the ownership structure and more the pressures on management and workforce. Nationalised industries did badly in Britain in the 1970s because they were more geared towards the interests of the producer than towards the interests of the nation, the consumer or the customer.

It is entirely conceivable to have nationalised industries that are focused, more usefully, on other interests. I am, however, sceptical whether Mr Corbyn is the man to find a different path from the one walked in the 1970s.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
  • Options

The problem is less the ownership structure and more the pressures on management and workforce. Nationalised industries did badly in Britain in the 1970s because they were more geared towards the interests of the producer than towards the interests of the nation, the consumer or the customer.

It is entirely conceivable to have nationalised industries that are focused, more usefully, on other interests. I am, however, sceptical whether Mr Corbyn is the man to find a different path from the one walked in the 1970s.

Kazing. As some might say :)
  • Options
    How much nastier does TMay want the Cons to be seen as?
This discussion has been closed.