Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could the CON leadership hopes of David Davis once again be th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,708
edited July 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Could the CON leadership hopes of David Davis once again be thwarted by an old Etonian?

Chart: BetData

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    First like Spieth.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good afternoon, my fellow Moggites.
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784
    Jacob Rees Mogg? Come of it.

• Options
    Mr. 619, still a better PM than Corbyn.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,998
    JRM is admirable, but I don't see him as a PM.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    edited July 2017
    See it through the eyes of an average person who doesn't obsess over politics. Does Mogg really look more like a PM than Corbyn?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    tlg86 said:

First like Spieth.

First like Li please! 65-1...
  • Options
    Mr. Recidivist, Morris Dancer does not dumb down. Next you'll be asking me to see classical history through the eyes of Mr. Eagles.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

First like Spieth.

First like Li please! 65-1...
    Spieth and Kuchar not on the clock. Yet.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    edited July 2017

See it through the eyes of an average person who doesn't obsess over politics. Does Mogg really look more like a PM than Corbyn?

No

Given the furore right now over the gender pay gap, and Boots, a man who boasts he has never changed a nappy is not the change the country is looking for
  • Options
    619619 Posts: 1,784

Exactly. Good luck with the Tories trying to persuade votes they arent a bunch of toffs who only care about rich people with Mogg as leader.

No way he gets enough MP votes anyway
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,963
    For those who aren't down with the kids...

https://www.facebook.com/MoggMemes/?ref=br_rs
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,447

Interestingly, and this is usually forgotten, a key moment for Cameron's campaign was when the Republican pollster Frank Luntz did a focus group for Newsnight. They had, iirc, the leading candidates on a tape and asked people to rate them. Cameron blew the others away and Luntz said he had never seen scores like it.

Would the Moggster pass that test?

I'm not betting too much on him.

Apart from anything else, if he looks like he will run and win, as the time draws near, then surely Ruth Davidson will jump from scotland and save her party?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No

Given the furore right now over the gender pay gap, and Boots, a man who boasts he has never changed a nappy is not the change the country is looking for
    Let's hope his team of nannies are on the living wage.
  • Options

Let's hope his team of nannies are on the living wage.

And with no questionable immigration status
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,413
    It is very hard not to believe that this supposed support for JRM is not the sort of redistributive wealth policy that Tories are not supposed to approve of. Are people really that easily parted with their hard earned?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Interestingly, and this is usually forgotten, a key moment for Cameron's campaign was when the Republican pollster Frank Luntz did a focus group for Newsnight. They had, iirc, the leading candidates on a tape and asked people to rate them. Cameron blew the others away and Luntz said he had never seen scores like it.

Apart from anything else, if he looks like he will run and win, as the time draws near, then surely Ruth Davidson will jump from scotland and save her party?
    Does Ruth Davidson sound like a PM ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Dunno. I think, although I don't have evidence, that she connects with people.

I still think May will be there for at least two years, so it is all rather academic at this stage.

Mind you, I've been wrong all through 2017, so...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    ' Twelve summers later '

Or more importantly twelve hundred billion later:

June 2005 government debt £461bn
    June 2017 government debt £1,754bn

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/hf6w/pusf
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,998
    When you have a President who compares himself to Jupiter, dispenses with press conferences because journalists are too stupid to understand his profound thoughts, and loses his chief general, that's unsurprising.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sean_F said:

When you have a President who compares himself to Jupiter, dispenses with press conferences because journalists are too stupid to understand his profound thoughts, and loses his chief general, that's unsurprising.
    yes but he met Donald in July so his ratings should go shooting up

and he hinted most frenchmen are undeserving lazy gits, so he cant be all bad :-)
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,145
    Sean_F said:

He's also had several cabinet ministers resign and broken his election promises.

If Donald Trump had a record like that we'd never hear the end of it.

But as they say, every President of the Fifth Republic has been worse than his predecessor.
  • Options
    Another Sunday meltdown from Spieth, very entertaining.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    619 said:

Exactly. Good luck with the Tories trying to persuade votes they arent a bunch of toffs who only care about rich people with Mogg as leader.

Forcefully put, as usual.

And how do you feel the first 6 months of Hillary's presidency have gone?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    And he hasn't even got cracking at trying to bring French emplpyment law into the 21st Century. Hollande tried the most minor of changes and the people were on the streets for weeks.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

619 said:

Forcefully put, as usual.

And how do you feel the first 6 months of Hillary's presidency have gone?
    LOL
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

His tee shot has just missed the middle of the fairway by a mere 120 yards!!!!
  • Options
    This is a complete farce at the golf.
  • Options
    At this rate speith will be taking his drop at the albert docks!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

His tee shot has just missed the middle of the fairway by a mere 120 yards!!!!
    That's what happens when you block your tee shot right when you're aiming at the right rough.

And a very exciting finish at Lords.
  • Options
    Cricket and Golf.

This is FANTASTIC.
  • Options

Cricket and Golf.

This is FANTASTIC.

India have surely got this unless England bowl them out.
  • Options
    England win!
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cricket and Golf.

This is FANTASTIC.

Hurling

Waterford 1-23 Wexford 1-19

#realsport
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

England win!

I just can't believe India lost that. They were cruising. What a collapse under pressure!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Cricket and Golf.

This is FANTASTIC.

Hurling

Waterford 1-23 Wexford 1-19

#realsport
    LOL
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Feel a bit sorry for India, they were heading for an easy victory only 30 minutes ago.
  • Options
    Mr. L, I had confidence we'd win the moment you said we wouldn't :p
  • Options

Mr. L, I had confidence we'd win the moment you said we wouldn't :p

I did say England had to bowl them out. They didn't get enough runs but they clawed it back. Really good game.
  • Options
    Mr. L, don't deny your powers. :p
  • Options

Mr. L, don't deny your powers. :p

I have been agreeing with Nick that May will survive a lot longer than seems possible at the moment. Should she be (even more) worried?
  • Options
    Mr. L, she may not survive the week.
  • Options
    I am not really into Golf but Spieth is something else.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,126

If Captain Mainwaring is the answer the Tories are well F*****D
  • Options
    edited July 2017

surbiton said:

Dunno. I think, although I don't have evidence, that she connects with people.

I still think May will be there for at least two years, so it is all rather academic at this stage.

Mind you, I've been wrong all through 2017, so...
    She is a self aggrandising donkey of the first order. People on here are easily deluded.
    PS: just in case I understated, she is fec***g useless.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

ooooh angram malc

seven letters begins with F ends with D

founded ?
    flaired ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

ooooh angram malc

founded ?
    flaired ?
    Many more similar words could be added Alan. Hard to believe the deluded dimwits on here, Trump is a better politician.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think he's a very undeserving champion after that farce on 13.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

ooooh angram malc

founded ?
    flaired ?
    Many more similar words could be added Alan. Hard to believe the deluded dimwits on here, Trump is a better politician.
    Im waiting to see how wee Mrs McTurnip ducks out of backing Catalan independence

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2017
    malcolmg said:

Finland!

[Monty Python: Finland song}
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHsoEAAMZU
  • Options
    DavidL said:

He touched 3-1 on Betfair during the 13th hole half-hour farce, I nearly hedged to back him then but was distracted by the cricket..... his response in the holes since that one has been hugely impressive.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    If David Davis is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

If the Moggster is the answer, you're asking the wrong question and the person answering has just spent the afternoon on the drink.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925

If David Davis is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

If the Moggster is the answer, you're asking the wrong question and the person answering has just spent the afternoon on the drink.

:D
  • Options
    Just been talking to mother. Seems granddad was at Dunkirk. He never talked about it, though.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    I want JRM to become leader just so we can actually see a general election campaign of Jacob Vs Jezza!

It would be the most entertaining election in decades... ;)
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    GIN1138 said:

I want JRM to become leader just so we can actually see a general election campaign of Jacob Vs Jezza!

Jeremy Hunt for Jezza vs Jezza !
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Not least because Jezza would be expected to walk it.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,866
    geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

There's only one Jezza!
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    "And the BBC is very much public sector."

I agree with Jez!

Very irresponsible reporting from Sky News on the BBC gender pay gap. I'd expect Matt Baker to get paid a decent amount for his Countryfile work. Never work with animals and all that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,149

geoffw said:

GIN1138 said:

There's only one Jezza!
    One Vince Cable.
    There's only one Vince Cable.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    DavidL said:

It is very hard not to believe that this supposed support for JRM is not the sort of redistributive wealth policy that Tories are not supposed to approve of. Are people really that easily parted with their hard earned?

I have been for lunch today with Granny and Granpa Fox. She has been a lifelong Tory member, and Grandpa more recently a kipper. I manged to keep the subject off Politics and Brexit until pudding, when they both came out for Mogg. This surprised me a bit as Granny Fox is a true loyalist and never opposes a sitting leader, and Grandpa Fox hates public school toffs.

Following on from my Isle of Wight Uncle, who came out for Mogg on Facebook with his first ever political post a few weeks back, I think there really is sometbing to this Moggmentum. I think that he will get to the final 2 via the MPs, then win in the party vote, particularly with the over Seventies. I bought earlier at 28, so not topping up at these prices, but neither am I laying.

Note: I do generally poorly on leadership contests though. They are tough contests to assess, as members are different to activists and different again to voters.

• Options
    @chrisdeerin: We may have to deploy The Ruth earlier than planned, simply to avoid the entire World Council agreeing to nuke us https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/889150671110512641
  • Options
    Breaking, attack on Israeli embassy in Jordan:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-40700467
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@chrisdeerin: We may have to deploy The Ruth earlier than planned, simply to avoid the entire World Council agreeing to nuke us https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/889150671110512641

Is the Moggster our Trump ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,751
    Perhaps a load of lefty entryists could join the Conservatives to vote for Moggy?

They'd be buggered if he didn't make the final two though.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,805
    Politics is going through a weird patch. It was always supposed to be the Art of the Possible. Now with Brexit, Corbyn and possibly Rees-Mogg, it's never mind that, we want the Art of Fantasy.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Owen Jones is our Sean Spicer
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

To be fair, Rees-Mogg could probably simultaneously patronise and flatter Trump better than anyone.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,177
    surbiton said:

Scott_P said:

Whatever. He's a card anyway.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    There was me thinking the old Etonian might be Kwarsi Kwarteng. What are his odds by the way?
  • Options

' Twelve summers later '

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/timeseries/hf6w/pusf

Seven years of Tory rule !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,995
    surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Would Labour have cut the deficit harder then? :smiley:
  • Options
    As we all know, Brexit will be negotiated in an afternoon with Merkel as soon as her election is out of the way. This conveniently falls one week before the Tory party conference, so there is time for David Davis to make a dramatic appearance in triumph after flying in with a piece of paper signed by the German Chancellor.
  • Options

Perhaps a load of lefty entryists could join the Conservatives to vote for Moggy?

Plus the full £25 membership fee would be sweet.

None of these £3 japes.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Plus the full £25 membership fee would be sweet.

None of these £3 japes.
    I will pay £25 to have a 19th century gentleman as the leader of the Tory Party and possibly a Prime Minister straightaway.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Of course, the growth would have been far greater and tax receipts far more. Easy peasy !
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,507
    No
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,507

DavidL said:

I have been for lunch today with Granny and Granpa Fox. She has been a lifelong Tory member, and Grandpa more recently a kipper. I manged to keep the subject off Politics and Brexit until pudding, when they both came out for Mogg. This surprised me a bit as Granny Fox is a true loyalist and never opposes a sitting leader, and Grandpa Fox hates public school toffs.

Following on from my Isle of Wight Uncle, who came out for Mogg on Facebook with his first ever political post a few weeks back, I think there really is sometbing to this Moggmentum. I think that he will get to the final 2 via the MPs, then win in the party vote, particularly with the over Seventies. I bought earlier at 28, so not topping up at these prices, but neither am I laying.

Note: I do generally poorly on leadership contests though. They are tough contests to assess, as members are different to activists and different again to voters.

The MPs won't put him into the top two.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I wouldn't be so sure - Tory MPs like nothing better than a bandwagon to jump on. Remember, Leadsom would be PM now if she hadn't self-destructed.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

It would be delicious if, in a repeat of 2001, the leading Brexit candidate lent some votes to an arch Remainer who was considered to have no chance with the members, but for the final result to be reversed.

Who could be the Ken Clarke of 2017?
  • Options
    Including Bercow there are 318 Tory MPs. What would happen if three candidates had 106 votes each?
  • Options

I suspect most Corbynistas would rather May struggled on to fight the next GE. Failing that one of the tired old crew, not JRM.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Including Bercow there are 318 Tory MPs. What would happen if three candidates had 106 votes each?

Impossible. If he was eligible to take part ... his ego would force him to stand and he would get 1 vote.

106, 106, 105 ,1
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Yes -- by economic growth increasing the tax take and reducing benefits payments. Austerity makes things worse.
  • Options
    edited July 2017

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Yes -- by economic growth increasing the tax take and reducing benefits payments. Austerity makes things worse.
    No Labour govt has ever left office with unemployment lower than when they started,
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

No Labour govt has ever left office with unemployment lower than when they started,
    I think you'll find the average unemployment rate has been much higher under Tory governments than under Labour.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I wouldn't be so sure - Tory MPs like nothing better than a bandwagon to jump on. Remember, Leadsom would be PM now if she hadn't self-destructed.
    I think JRM would gain the Fox and Leadsome votes, but key would be whether David Davis stood too. There would be a less hardline candidate too, but hard to know who, and how the votes would split.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,468
    edited July 2017
    Jacob's Technicolour Dream Chart
  • Options

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Wasn't Darling planning to cut more than Osborne did?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,366

DavidL said:

What exactly did you put in the pudding, Foxy?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    RobD said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

Wasn't Darling planning to cut more than Osborne did?
    No but he was planning to cut the deficit faster than Osborne achieved, but then so was Osborne.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,074

Sean_F said:

He's also had several cabinet ministers resign and broken his election promises.

If Donald Trump had a record like that we'd never hear the end of it.

But as they say, every President of the Fifth Republic has been worse than his predecessor.
    Didn't he get rid of his cabinet ministers because they'd historically fiddled their expenses? I would have thought that would be something we would praise a leader for, whether Trump, May or Macron.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    edited July 2017
    The Guardian have a hatchet job on JRM today so the left seem to fear him. I'm not sure but he is a top class debater and incredibly sharp. He'd be different from the bland politicians we're used to.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

The Guardian have a hatchet job on JRM today so the left seem to fear him. I'm not sure but he is a top class debater and incredibly sharp. He'd be different from the bland politicians we're used to.

Ha Ha Ha !
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

I think JRM would gain the Fox and Leadsome votes, but key would be whether David Davis stood too. There would be a less hardline candidate too, but hard to know who, and how the votes would split.
    Those who have backed him, lay him. He will never even be a candidate.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

In the last 7 years, the Tories have borrowed more than all Labour governments put together since 1945 !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

GeoffM said:

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

In the last 7 years, the Tories have borrowed more than all Labour governments put together since 1945 !
    Yeah, because everything was peachy in 2010.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

RobD said:

surbiton said:

' Twelve summers later '

If it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
    Yes, too good to be true, a bit like people who claim that cutting tax rates somehow results in increased tax revenues.
This discussion has been closed.