Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cost to tax-payers of TMay’s calamitous election decision and

Comments

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

justin124 said:

Andrew said:

justin124 said:

The majority is only 15 if Lady Hermon supports the Government . Were she to vote against the majority falls to 13.

She'll probably vote with Labour on some issues, but not on anything that might bring down the government.
    Not necessarily. She might be inclined to vote against this Government , and possibly to abstain were a Corbyn Government seeking the support of the House. She is not obliged to support either!
    No. She's been very open about not wanting Corbyn as PM. She's very much Labour inclined on many things but not Corbyn inclined.
    Perhaps Corbyn may step aside...
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Pulpstar said:

Con + Spkr + DUP: 328
    Others exc SF: 315

Majority 13. Speaker and one Con deputy and two Lab deputies cancel.

It seems one of the many absurdities of our system that 4 constituencies have MPs who aren't allowed to vote on anything. Surely there is a better way of representing these areas?
    It's not an issue generally as the 4 seats are effectively cancelling. The one difference is the 3 deputies can be voted out (Hoyle could well have been this GE, and Engel was) whereas the speaker can't be.
    I understand that it makes no difference at the parliamentary vote tally level. But if someone living in the constituency wants to raise a specific issue with their MP what are they supposed to do?

Surely it would make more sense for the Speaker & deputies to be an appointed ex-MP
    It would make sense for the Speaker to be an ex-MP and for a by-election to take place there, and for the Dep Speakers to continue to operate as normal MPs when not in the chair. If they want to be controversial, they're probably not Speaker (or Dep Speaker) material anyway.
    Never been a problem in the past...!
    That's not necessarily true. I'm sure there'll have been times when a Speaker (or Deputy) would have loved to speak out on constituency matters but was prevented from doing so by the limitations of the office. But of course, we don't really know.

I'm all for keeping tradition where it adds value or colour, or does no harm. But this is a part of the constitution that could do with a little tidying up and it'd be better to do it while it doesn't much matter rather than wait for when it does.
  • Options
    CornishJohnCornishJohn Posts: 304
    Scott_P said:

I think many PB Tories are fully aware May has been continually screwing up since April.

Since the day she sacked Osborne...
    That would be a mistake. The reason the election campaign turned is because the voters were reminded of austerity with winter fuel payments and social care fees. With Mr. Austerity himself in the government, we would never have got 42%, let alone the 46-48% of the early campaign.

The mistake was the manifesto, but May has been pulling it back since.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

The political reality in Scotland,however, is that the SNP would have to support any attempt to bring down this minority Government.Likewise the LibDems would steer clear of anything that would make it easy for Labour to label them ' Tories' little helpers' all over again. Lady Hermon has said she could not support Corbyn - but that does not imply support for May either.

I think you greatly underestimate the talents of the SNP when it comes to having their cake and arguing that it's the Tories fault they've eaten it. The LibDems might find themselves unaccountably detained at a conference on electoral reform. Lady Hermon is a wildcard, certainly - but the point is, for the government to lose a confidence vote, the opposition parties have to get their acts together against the government simultaneously. That won't happen unless they each think it's in their interests to make it happen.
    The SNP - and indeed the LibDems - would play into Labour's hands were they to do that - and I am sure they know it. They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time , and if at any stage they are seen to be helping to keep the Tories in office electoral wipeout will beckon!
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121

Checks on cladding now extending to public buildings such as hospitals and schools.
    Potentially this will be more damaging to public confidence in all things political than expenses. Actually it almost certainly will. It's the perfect storm story for anti capitalism.

How exactly does this damage all things political? Not checking would, but doing so is a good thing.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Pulpstar, still no word on Davey?

As long as it's him or Cable, I'm green.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Unrest overnight in Stratford and Forest Gate leaving 6 police injured gives a flavour of the powder keg out there atm. Whilst it is unrelated to Grenfell etc, it is still representative of the them and us brewing in the country, especially the capital.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,020
    Pulpstar said:

Lib Dem leadership timetable:

Opening of nominations June 25th 2017
    Closing of nominations July 20th 2017
    Dispatch of ballot papers Aug 16th 2017
    Deadline for ballot papers to be returned Sep 11th 2017
    Count and declaration of the winner Sep 13th 2017

The longest comb fight in history?
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

The political reality in Scotland,however, is that the SNP would have to support any attempt to bring down this minority Government.Likewise the LibDems would steer clear of anything that would make it easy for Labour to label them ' Tories' little helpers' all over again. Lady Hermon has said she could not support Corbyn - but that does not imply support for May either.

I think you greatly underestimate the talents of the SNP when it comes to having their cake and arguing that it's the Tories fault they've eaten it. The LibDems might find themselves unaccountably detained at a conference on electoral reform. Lady Hermon is a wildcard, certainly - but the point is, for the government to lose a confidence vote, the opposition parties have to get their acts together against the government simultaneously. That won't happen unless they each think it's in their interests to make it happen.
    They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time.....
    Are they? Which seats?
  • Options

Very, very interesting.

It seems a very reasonable offer to me. The key point is this: "Furthermore, we are also ready to make commitments in the Withdrawal Agreement which will have the status of international law. The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) will not have jurisdiction in the UK."

Let's see how that lands. The UK will accept independent international arbitration, but not jurisdiction of the ECJ.

It's less generous than the EU27 proposal with regards to the rights of UK citizens living in the EU, but there is not an insurmountable gap between the two positions. A deal will be done.
    Did the EU propose the British Supreme Court would adjudicate on British Citizen's rights in the EU, as it proposed ECJ adjudication of EU citizens in Britain?

No - but it does offer many more rights to UK citizens living in the EU27 than the UK proposals would deliver. The negotiation will now begin and EU27 citizens living in the UK will end up with a better deal than the one currently being offered, while UK citizens living in the EU27 can expect to get a worse one.
    While UK citizens living in the UK will get a much better deal in terms of controlling immigration than we have for decades.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    justin124 said:

The SNP - and indeed the LibDems - would play into Labour's hands were they to do that - and I am sure they know it. They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time , and if at any stage they are seen to be helping to keep the Tories in office electoral wipeout will beckon!

"They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time ".

That is exactly the point (although I'd suggest losing seats to the Tories is as or more likely, at the moment at least).
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    edited June 2017

Very, very interesting.

It seems a very reasonable offer to me. The key point is this: "Furthermore, we are also ready to make commitments in the Withdrawal Agreement which will have the status of international law. The Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU) will not have jurisdiction in the UK."

Let's see how that lands. The UK will accept independent international arbitration, but not jurisdiction of the ECJ.

It's less generous than the EU27 proposal with regards to the rights of UK citizens living in the EU, but there is not an insurmountable gap between the two positions. A deal will be done.
    Did the EU propose the British Supreme Court would adjudicate on British Citizen's rights in the EU, as it proposed ECJ adjudication of EU citizens in Britain?

No - but it does offer many more rights to UK citizens living in the EU27 than the UK proposals would deliver. The negotiation will now begin and EU27 citizens living in the UK will end up with a better deal than the one currently being offered, while UK citizens living in the EU27 can expect to get a worse one.
    While UK citizens living in the UK will get a much better deal in terms of controlling immigration than we have for decades.

We'll see about that. But what we do know is that a government that said it wanted to protect the rights of UK citizens in the EU27 is, in practice, proposing a reciprocal deal that will mean they have fewer than they currently enjoy and which the EU27 are offering.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576

Very, very interesting.

Where do you think the compromises will come?

Meanwhile, Jonathan Portes observed of the EU offer:

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/879332996662296576
  • Options

Very, very interesting.

Gennuine question-what rights are the E.U offering Brits in the E.U that we are not?
    That deal looks pretty comprehensive.
  • Options

Unrest overnight in Stratford and Forest Gate leaving 6 police injured gives a flavour of the powder keg out there atm. Whilst it is unrelated to Grenfell etc, it is still representative of the them and us brewing in the country, especially the capital.

Sadly, this is a case of the political class not learning their lessons from the English riots a few years back, or similar experiences in the banlieus of Paris or ex-industrial towns like Malmo in Sweden. Hopefully, Brexit will cause UK governments to start focusing on practical policies of integration, rather than it just being a buzzword.
  • Options

Checks on cladding now extending to public buildings such as hospitals and schools.
    Potentially this will be more damaging to public confidence in all things political than expenses. Actually it almost certainly will. It's the perfect storm story for anti capitalism.

How exactly does this damage all things political? Not checking would, but doing so is a good thing.
    Failure of regulation and inspection regimes being part of the problem should such come out as part of the inquiry, and basically how it looks against what we claim to be. If we lived in a world where people looked at such things and said 'gosh, that's terrible, at least they are looking into it' then I'm sure it would have no effect. We don't live in a world like that.
    I'm looking at the likely outcome and impact, not what a cold, rational world would do. It's not a cold and rational world, it's one full of pissed off people and large gaps between the top and the bottom.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Mr. Pulpstar, still no word on Davey?

As long as it's him or Cable, I'm green.

I think you're fine with that position. I'm not betting, am leaning toward Vince slightly right now I think. But he needs a contest.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Nigel Dodds asks House if they would like him to publish all his correspondence with the "labour front bench in 2010, and 2015 and the SNP"
  • Options
    That honestly sounds like the two parties are not a million miles away from agreement.
  • Options

Failure of regulation and inspection regimes being part of the problem should such come out as part of the inquiry, and basically how it looks against what we claim to be. If we lived in a world where people looked at such things and said 'gosh, that's terrible, at least they are looking into it' then I'm sure it would have no effect. We don't live in a world like that.
    I'm looking at the likely outcome and impact, not what a cold, rational world would do. It's not a cold and rational world, it's one full of pissed off people and large gaps between the top and the bottom.
    Except the world isn't like that. You seem to be looking through unduly pessimistic eyes.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: Nigel Dodds asks House if they would like him to publish all his correspondence with the "labour front bench in 2010, and 2015 and the SNP"

ooh please do.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh God, not handwritten scrawl from Gordon saying 'can I pay you to be my friend?' Titter
  • Options
    George Osborne cuts quite a sad figure these days. It is clear he is consumed by vengeance against those he perceives have wronged him, rather than the national interest. That is a sad place for a conservative to be in. There is something Nixonian about it all.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,051

Scott_P said:

I think many PB Tories are fully aware May has been continually screwing up since April.

That would be a mistake. The reason the election campaign turned is because the voters were reminded of austerity with winter fuel payments and social care fees. With Mr. Austerity himself in the government, we would never have got 42%, let alone the 46-48% of the early campaign.

Mrs May has been pulling it back? You reckon?
  • Options

Except the world isn't like that. You seem to be looking through unduly pessimistic eyes.
    It is like that, I guess we have a very different view of it, which is fine. Let's talk after time and events have clarified my ignorance or wisdom on this matter.
  • Options

justin124 said:

"They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time ".

That is exactly the point (although I'd suggest losing seats to the Tories is as or more likely, at the moment at least).
    No - the Tories have pretty much reached the limit of what they can win in Scotland . Any further weakening of the SNP will be very much to Labour's advantage , and I will be a bit surprised if Labour emerges with fewer than 30 seats there next time having again become the largest party . Several of the Tory gains would also be vulnerable to a Labour recovery from third place.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Scott_P said:

ooh please do.
    Yes please Nigel :)
  • Options
    NHantsNHants Posts: 8
    If SNP had a uniform 8% swing against them, they would lose all 35 seats. Labour are 2nd in 25 of those, Conservatives 2nd in 9, LDs in 1 (Fife NE).
  • Options
    Mr. Pulpstar, just so long as Brake or suchlike doesn't become an interloper.

Thanks to lucky timing (backing Swinson the day before Farron announced he was going, checking Twitter right as Cable confirmed he was standing, and as Lamb said he wasn't) I'm in an alright position.
  • Options
    nunu said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

They are seriously at risk of losing over 20 seats to Labour next time.....
    Are they? Which seats?
    Most of them - quite seriously!
  • Options

the london riots happened 1 year after 13 years of a labour government. There has been distrust of police amongst the afro-caribbean community for decades.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914

Very, very interesting.

Where do you think the compromises will come?

Meanwhile, Jonathan Portes observed of the EU offer:

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/879332996662296576

There will be a compromise on the ECJ/UK Supreme Court. The UK will end up giving more rights to family members. But as I said in my first post - and Portes says in your link - there is a deal to be done. The parties are not a million miles apart.

• Options

Scott_P said:

Yes. I knocked on doors for the entire campaign, and I hate to think what would have happened had we had the election 10 days earlier. While we obviously achieved an undesirable result overall, we did have a semblance of recovery in the last week.

She then reacted in exactly the right way since then. She admitted her mistakes to the entire parliamentary party, took personal responsibility and got back to work. As I've always said, it's not about the mistakes you make, it's about how you respond to them. Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues. David Davis coming out and backing her speaks volumes, as he is the only one the party might prefer. The very tight, well-worked out deal with the DUP for 0.02% of public spending is another positive sign.
  • Options
    Mr. Nunu, there was a day of rioting, then two or three of criminal scum looting, committing arson and the odd murder. It was taking advantage of police weakness on the first day that led to the opportunistic looting, had nothing to do with distrust of police.

Mr. Hants, welcome to PB.
  • Options
    NHants said:

If SNP had a uniform 8% swing against them, they would lose all 35 seats. Labour are 2nd in 25 of those, Conservatives 2nd in 9, LDs in 1 (Fife NE).

labour are on the cusp of coming back in Scotland-though not to the same extent as before, it will still help them hugely in getting a majority.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244

George Osborne cuts quite a sad figure these days. It is clear he is consumed by vengeance against those he perceives have wronged him, rather than the national interest. That is a sad place for a conservative to be in. There is something Nixonian about it all.
    Yep. Editing hugely influential newspaper, six figure salary from investment bank...where did it all go wrong..?
  • Options
    nunu said:

the london riots happened 1 year after 13 years of a labour government. There has been distrust of police amongst the afro-caribbean community for decades.
    Yes, quite. It's not a problem that is lessening is my point, and there's an us and them economic aspect coming into it more generally. The situation isn't calm, it's simmering. Whether it comes off the boil or into a rolling boil is what we will see.
  • Options
    Mr. Hants, welcome to PB.

I've been watching for many years!
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    nunu said:

That honestly sounds like the two parties are not a million miles away from agreement.
    Just heard an interview with a Polish mother of two children nearly in tears with relief and gratitude to the Government and Theresa May
  • Options
    NHants said:

Wow. Quite a cliffedge....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues.
    She gave an assured performance in the HoC today and seemed confident - Corbyn was back in auto-rant mode.....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues.
    She gave an assured performance in the HoC today and seemed confident - Corbyn was back in auto-rant mode.....
    It's results that will change the narrative for her with respect to Brexit negotiations.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yep. Editing hugely influential newspaper, six figure salary from investment bank...where did it all go wrong..?
    This is exactly it. People in an emotionally confident position would be very happy with such money and influence, and not need to follow that reptilian urge to pursue personal vendettas. We see a similar situation with the current occupant of the Oval Office. He is a billionaire and has reached the most powerful position in the world, yet by all accounts he is still just an angry old man, shouting at the TV screen every morning. Some people are just incapable of addressing their demons, no matter what status they reach.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875

Scott_P said:

Yes. I knocked on doors for the entire campaign, and I hate to think what would have happened had we had the election 10 days earlier. While we obviously achieved an undesirable result overall, we did have a semblance of recovery in the last week.

She then reacted in exactly the right way since then. She admitted her mistakes to the entire parliamentary party, took personal responsibility and got back to work. As I've always said, it's not about the mistakes you make, it's about how you respond to them. Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues. David Davis coming out and backing her speaks volumes, as he is the only one the party might prefer. The very tight, well-worked out deal with the DUP for 0.02% of public spending is another positive sign.
    Well said. I'm sure May - and every right-thinking Tory - would give their eye teeth to be able to go back in time and rewrite that stupid manifesto. However, May has ended up - bizarrely - in almost the perfect position for her remaining mission in public life, namely to negotiate a deal in the national interest without ego. Her political ego was crushed a fortnight ago, leaving only her duty.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Scott_P said:

You seem to be suffering a severe case of self delusion . Your canvassing experience that the Conservatives were doing worse 10 days before polling day and recovered a bit in the final week goes against all the polling and every other canvassing anecdote posted on here during the campaign .
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Pulpstar said:

Con + Spkr + DUP: 328
    Others exc SF: 315

Majority 13. Speaker and one Con deputy and two Lab deputies cancel.

It seems one of the many absurdities of our system that 4 constituencies have MPs who aren't allowed to vote on anything. Surely there is a better way of representing these areas?
    It's not an issue generally as the 4 seats are effectively cancelling. The one difference is the 3 deputies can be voted out (Hoyle could well have been this GE, and Engel was) whereas the speaker can't be.
    I understand that it makes no difference at the parliamentary vote tally level. But if someone living in the constituency wants to raise a specific issue with their MP what are they supposed to do?

Surely it would make more sense for the Speaker & deputies to be an appointed ex-MP
    It would make sense for the Speaker to be an ex-MP and for a by-election to take place there, and for the Dep Speakers to continue to operate as normal MPs when not in the chair. If they want to be controversial, they're probably not Speaker (or Dep Speaker) material anyway.
    Never been a problem in the past...!
    That's not necessarily true. I'm sure there'll have been times when a Speaker (or Deputy) would have loved to speak out on constituency matters but was prevented from doing so by the limitations of the office. But of course, we don't really know.
    OK, let me rephrase that. The incumbent has never considered that a problem...!
  • Options

NHants said:

And Labour are a close 3rd in a few (Ayrshire x 2, Hamilton E, Edinburgh SW, Renfrewshire E....)
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    TOPPING said:

But he so desperately wanted to be PM.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

NHants said:

Dundee East should be safe.
  • Options
    dyingswandyingswan Posts: 189

Exactly. That is why it is so dangerous for a politician like John McDonnell to employ the word "murder" in the present context. He must know the definition of "murder" in English law. Yet he uses it to inflame a mentality on the streets. It is the height of ignorance and irresponsibility.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    "The Commission should have full powers for the monitoring and the Court of Justice of the
    European Union should have full jurisdiction corresponding to the duration of the protection
    of citizen's rights in the Withdrawal agreement. "

They can fuck off.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    test
  • Options
  • Options
    What Kipper vote
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

TOPPING said:

Did he? Did Osborne want to be Prime Minister? It was always understood he did not; that he saw himself as kingmaker rather than king. Evidence: Osborne did not stand against May and the others.
  • Options

What Kipper vote
    The difference between 11.3 million in 2015 and 13.6 million in 2017.
  • Options
    Only applies to those doing so 'on the specified date' - so it grandfathers existing exporters of benefits - may not apply to future arrivals....
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

What Kipper vote
    The ex Kippers who voted Conservative on June 8th but not next time .
  • Options
    The five remaining kippers will be livid
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625
    Honestly, 1bn seems pretty cheap, and probably means the deal is not to be long-lasting. Ok, where does the money come from, but given they would have been too petrified to make some planned cuts anyway, the overall 'cost' from not implementing other cuts will be far higher I suspect, and we can be sure the SNP just for starters would demand a lot more for a deal.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

TOPPING said:

Did he? Did Osborne want to be Prime Minister? It was always understood he did not; that he saw himself as kingmaker rather than king. Evidence: Osborne did not stand against May and the others.

The referendum result make sure Osborne could not stand.

• Options
    75 high rises have now failed combustibility tests........
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:
    "The Commission should have full powers for the monitoring and the Court of Justice of the
    European Union should have full jurisdiction corresponding to the duration of the protection
    of citizen's rights in the Withdrawal agreement. "

They can fuck off.
    I cannot see how this will not survive the negotiations. Personally I would offer reciprocation. British people resident anywhere in Europe subject to the Supreme Court in London.
  • Options

Given the 100% nature of the failures so far I think we can assume a few hundred might fail plus a number of other public buildings possibly also.
  • Options

All hospitals to be checked together with schools
  • Options
    ID cards -- David Davies has previously been opposed to ID cards, yet here they are.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/621847/60093_Cm9464_NSS_SDR_Print.pdf

See for instance paragraph 17 on page 7

Were the proposals approved by Cabinet or slipped in by a SpAd?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

Probably cost around £1 Billion to fix !
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Wasn't the plan to i) win the referendum then ii) have a victorious Cameron step down in 2018 leaving the way open for Osborne to win GE2020?

The past is another country.......
  • Options
    calum said:

Probably cost around £1 Billion to fix !
    What was it the DUP were singing in that video? "Arlene's on fire..."
  • Options
    edited June 2017

TOPPING said:

Yes absolutely. He wasn't the only one to misunderestimate how useless Tezza would be.

Edit: or that people would realise so quickly.
  • Options
    Sajid Javid giving a strong statement in the HOC re Grenfell
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He wanted to be PM.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Surely there are only 59 Scottish MP's who have heard the details of the Con/DUP deal?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Even before that, the mood music was that Cameron and Osborne would govern then retire together. As you say, the Brexit referendum put the kibosh on that.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Given the 100% nature of the failures so far I think we can assume a few hundred might fail plus a number of other public buildings possibly also.
    That will cost billions to correct over many years.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Wasn't the plan to i) win the referendum then ii) have a victorious Cameron step down in 2018 leaving the way open for Osborne to win GE2020?

The past is another country.......
    I don't think that was the plan, no. Osborne knew how unpopular he was with voters. Any such conspiracy would have had Cameron winning in 2020 and giving way to his friend soon after.
  • Options

That will cost billions to correct over many years.
    Yes, it will. Scandal is ongoing, unfolding and far reaching. What do you do if schools start failing? Hospitals? I think there's something of a collective sense of suspension of disbelief that will soon give way.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He seems to be enjoying himself tremendously at the moment!
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    kle4 said:

Honestly, 1bn seems pretty cheap, and probably means the deal is not to be long-lasting. Ok, where does the money come from, but given they would have been too petrified to make some planned cuts anyway, the overall 'cost' from not implementing other cuts will be far higher I suspect, and we can be sure the SNP just for starters would demand a lot more for a deal.

How do Scotland and Wales feel about this deal? What about the poorer English regions? What about the Catholic communities in NI?

F*ck the lot of them?
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,336

TOPPING said:

This is exactly it. People in an emotionally confident position would be very happy with such money and influence, and not need to follow that reptilian urge to pursue personal vendettas. We see a similar situation with the current occupant of the Oval Office. He is a billionaire and has reached the most powerful position in the world, yet by all accounts he is still just an angry old man, shouting at the TV screen every morning. Some people are just incapable of addressing their demons, no matter what status they reach.
    Osborne may be enjoying poking May a little too much but it's also sound editorial strategy. London is a remain and Labour city, of course you're going to go after May. What would the point of doing otherwise? And it's working. Under Sands reading the Standard was like being lectured at the world's most boring dinner party, now it's compelling.
  • Options

kle4 said:

How do Scotland and Wales feel about this deal? What about the poorer English regions? What about the Catholic communities in NI?

F*ck the lot of them?
    The Cons think that the greater good will be achieved by a Cons govt. And that Lab will weak havoc on the country. Under those conditions they believe it justified to make such deals for that greater good.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

He seems to be enjoying himself tremendously at the moment!
    And why not.

Tories appear to think Osborne is still sitting on the government benches and should be cheer leading for the administration. His first priority is as editor of the "Standard" in a capital city that isn't wildly enthusiastic about Mrs May.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

If memory serves me correctly, isn't the convention that in cases like that the constituent is referred to an MP in a neighbouring constituency?
    You can't hire a locum?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

kle4 said:

F*ck the lot of them?
    I should think the catholic communities in NI are better off today

secure pensions, heating fuel allowance, more money for NHS and capital investment in Belfast which is increasingly a catholic city
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    MJW said:

TOPPING said:

Osborne may be enjoying poking May a little too much but it's also sound editorial strategy. London is a remain and Labour city, of course you're going to go after May. What would the point of doing otherwise? And it's working. Under Sands reading the Standard was like being lectured at the world's most boring dinner party, now it's compelling.
    Hardly. The Standard is the freebie advertiser that one picks up if there's nothing else to read on the Tube or train home. Let's not pretend otherwise, there's never a shortage of copies.
  • Options
    Blimey - Sajid Javid re Camden - there were problems with gas fire insulation, stairways not accessable, breaches of internal walls but most astonishingly hundreds of fire doors missing, indeed Camden council say they need 1,000 (yes 1,000) new fire doors. Labour's front bench looked in disbelief and of course how can any Council explain that away
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    kle4 said:

£100M a vote. Not a usual definition of cheap.
  • Options

Blimey - Sajid Javid re Camden - there were problems with gas fire insulation, stairways not accessable, breaches of internal walls but most astonishingly hundreds of fire doors missing, indeed Camden council say they need 1,000 (yes 1,000) new fire doors. Labour's front bench looked in disbelief and of course how can any Council explain that away

Has Camden been bothering to check whether any of their estate complies with fire regulations?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

compared to a Corbyn government its loose change
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Pulpstar said:

NHants said:

Dundee East should be safe.
    And Fife NE.
  • Options

kle4 said:

F*ck the lot of them?
    They'll feel a lot worse in the future as the opposition parties stress daily that every penny piece give to the DUP is an operation cancelled, a teacher sacked, a police officer let go in the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

I'm sure they are hoping the DUP MPs will vote more than once. :p
  • Options

Has Camden been bothering to check whether any of their estate complies with fire regulations?
    This is growing into a huge row and Camden Council have serious questions and looks like resignations will be demanded
  • Options
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

F*ck the lot of them?
    They'll feel a lot worse in the future as the opposition parties stress daily that every penny piece give to the DUP is an operation cancelled, a teacher sacked, a police officer let go in the rest of the UK.
    what nonsense

it's about time you jacobites started contibuting to the uk
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

compared to a Corbyn government its loose change
    Will May apologise?
  • Options
    edited June 2017

This is growing into a huge row and Camden Council have serious questions and looks like resignations will be demanded
    Silence from Corbyn and Co presumably. They could at least demand that 'Gould gets a grip'.
This discussion has been closed.