Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cost to tax-payers of TMay’s calamitous election decision and

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Honestly, 1bn seems pretty cheap, and probably means the deal is not to be long-lasting. Ok, where does the money come from, but given they would have been too petrified to make some planned cuts anyway, the overall 'cost' from not implementing other cuts will be far higher I suspect, and we can be sure the SNP just for starters would demand a lot more for a deal.

£100M a vote. Not a usual definition of cheap.
    compared to a Corbyn government its loose change
    Will May apologise?
    for what

Labour could quite happily blow a billion under Blair and call it investment

government for less than the price of the Millenium Dome
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,347

Blimey - Sajid Javid re Camden - there were problems with gas fire insulation, stairways not accessable, breaches of internal walls but most astonishingly hundreds of fire doors missing, indeed Camden council say they need 1,000 (yes 1,000) new fire doors. Labour's front bench looked in disbelief and of course how can any Council explain that away

Has Camden been bothering to check whether any of their estate complies with fire regulations?
    This is growing into a huge row and Camden Council have serious questions and looks like resignations will be demanded
    Silence from Corbyn and Co presumably. They could at least demand that 'Gould gets a grip'.
    Sajid Javid again referring to the missing fire doors - 1,000 new doors beggars belief
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121

Blimey - Sajid Javid re Camden - there were problems with gas fire insulation, stairways not accessable, breaches of internal walls but most astonishingly hundreds of fire doors missing, indeed Camden council say they need 1,000 (yes 1,000) new fire doors. Labour's front bench looked in disbelief and of course how can any Council explain that away

Has Camden been bothering to check whether any of their estate complies with fire regulations?
    This is growing into a huge row and Camden Council have serious questions and looks like resignations will be demanded
    Silence from Corbyn and Co presumably. They could at least demand that 'Gould gets a grip'.
    Sajid Javid again referring to the missing fire doors - 1,000 new doors beggars belief
    Astonishing. Are the Fire Brigade required to check buildings these days?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    edited June 2017

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Honestly, 1bn seems pretty cheap, and probably means the deal is not to be long-lasting. Ok, where does the money come from, but given they would have been too petrified to make some planned cuts anyway, the overall 'cost' from not implementing other cuts will be far higher I suspect, and we can be sure the SNP just for starters would demand a lot more for a deal.

Will May apologise?
    for what

Another Tory brainchild. We deserve an apology from May. Her £1Bn ego trip. A very expensive walk in the Welsh hills.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

kle4 said:

How do Scotland and Wales feel about this deal? What about the poorer English regions? What about the Catholic communities in NI?

F*ck the lot of them?
    They'll feel a lot worse in the future as the opposition parties stress daily that every penny piece give to the DUP is an operation cancelled, a teacher sacked, a police officer let go in the rest of the UK.
    what nonsense

it's about time you jacobites started contibuting to the uk
    Isn't over 12,700 free posts contribution enough ? .. :smile:
  • Options

As far as I am aware
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    nunu said:

I don't think PB Tories understand how toxic this will be in England.

The Winter Fuel Allowence and Social care policy were bad but this will annoy 55 million people. Cuts in England to pay for the NHS in Nothern Ireland.....will go down like a cold bucket of sick in the south, in the midlands in the north, infact everywhere in England.

Absolutely.

This is going to be hammered home in a thousand leaflets in marginal seats at the next election. Teachers being made redundant at your local school? Maternity unit closed at your local hospital? Look, here's a picture of a gleaming new road in Northern Ireland that the Conservatives chose to fund instead.

Even if May's version of Brexit turns out to be a success, every decision like this reduces the eventual electoral upside. If she's very lucky she'll end up like Churchill in 1945: wins the war, loses the election, written up favourably in the history books.

I'm not putting any money on her winning the war.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    For what? They can have a 50-foot gold statue of Ian Paisley if it helps keep Corbyn out of power.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Jonathan, to keep the Messiah and McMurder away from Downing Street, £1bn is a bargain.

Mr. NorthWales, it's quite incredible. Once the initial problems are resolved (which may take a long time) there needs to be a detailed examination and updating of building regulations, with proper checking and enforcement of severe penalties for infractions.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

nunu said:

I don't think PB Tories understand how toxic this will be in England.

The Winter Fuel Allowence and Social care policy were bad but this will annoy 55 million people. Cuts in England to pay for the NHS in Nothern Ireland.....will go down like a cold bucket of sick in the south, in the midlands in the north, infact everywhere in England.

Absolutely.

This is going to be hammered home in a thousand leaflets in marginal seats at the next election. Teachers being made redundant at your local school? Maternity unit closed at your local hospital? Look, here's a picture of a gleaming new road in Northern Ireland that the Conservatives chose to fund instead.

Even if May's version of Brexit turns out to be a success, every decision like this reduces the eventual electoral upside. If she's very lucky she'll end up like Churchill in 1945: wins the war, loses the election, written up favourably in the history books.

I'm not putting any money on her winning the war.
    Cons need to announce money for schools, hospitals, public services across the UK.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Demonstrates the point that prior to Grenfell these were issues that angered people at the local level, the community level, the tower block level alongside all the other rag tag and bobtail cuts and corners of the austerity years and more generally for decades in poorer communities.
    It's only now a national tragedy has occurred that it looms large on the political scene.
    When I say things like there's a lot of anger and disengagement, disenfranchisement etc, that's why. The upshot of Grenfell is it might lead to a more national conscience of the rich vs poor, them and us situation. Which will be new ground the parties need to adjust to. Quick.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Scott_P said:

I think many PB Tories are fully aware May has been continually screwing up since April.

Since the day she sacked Osborne...
    That would be a mistake. The reason the election campaign turned is because the voters were reminded of austerity with winter fuel payments and social care fees. With Mr. Austerity himself in the government, we would never have got 42%, let alone the 46-48% of the early campaign.

The mistake was the manifesto, but May has been pulling it back since.
    Mrs May has been pulling it back? You reckon?
    Yes. I knocked on doors for the entire campaign, and I hate to think what would have happened had we had the election 10 days earlier. While we obviously achieved an undesirable result overall, we did have a semblance of recovery in the last week.

She then reacted in exactly the right way since then. She admitted her mistakes to the entire parliamentary party, took personal responsibility and got back to work. As I've always said, it's not about the mistakes you make, it's about how you respond to them. Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues. David Davis coming out and backing her speaks volumes, as he is the only one the party might prefer. The very tight, well-worked out deal with the DUP for 0.02% of public spending is another positive sign.
    You seem to be suffering a severe case of self delusion . Your canvassing experience that the Conservatives were doing worse 10 days before polling day and recovered a bit in the final week goes against all the polling and every other canvassing anecdote posted on here during the campaign .
    Knocking on doors is just about the most misleading source of information on how a campaign is going - as the Tory canvasser who got a very polite and positive response from me even though I had already decided to vote Labour long before he arrived will never know. I didn't look, but if canvassed just my side of the road he'd have gone home a happy man. Had he done both sides he'd have encountered some serious anger.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,521

It's one of the things we are supposed to ignore. To put it another way - on the day that such as block is finished/refurbishment is complete, it will have a full set of fire doors. Bet money on that. The inspectors will inspect. All good.

Then the Evil Tory Fire Leprechauns will steal the doors. Pile rubbish in the common areas etc.

Prosecuting - or even catching the ETFLs is considered harmful.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    The agreement between the Conservatives and the DUP is notable for one thing that is in it (the duration clause) and several things that aren't (marches, gay cakes, abortions, flags).

Predictably, everyone's focusing on the least interesting aspect, the £1billion.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Get upto date Alan O2 stadium and very successful even against all your presumed ranting at the time.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Another Tory brainchild. We deserve an apology from May. Her £1Bn ego trip. A very expensive walk in the Welsh hills.
    I think we can all see self centred bullshit foe what it is

a cimmunity you dont give a fk about and have for years is suddenly at the front of your concerns - yeah right

and Labour have suddenly developed fiscal responsibility

basically youre all sour grapes because you couldnt do the deal yourself
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Cutting red-tape, especially the bloody 'elf and safety.

Not many hospitals or schools are over a couple of storeys so probably safe. The next issue will be offices and hotels, more of which are towers blocks.

The Premier Inn in Leicester by the railway station was re skinned recently for example:

https://g.co/kgs/nBze94
  • Options
    Cuts for everyone. Tories need to save their own skins. £1bn magically appears.

The Magic money tree.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    No doubt Camden Council will be prosecuting themselves.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

The agreement between the Conservatives and the DUP is notable for one thing that is in it (the duration clause) and several things that aren't (marches, gay cakes, abortions, flags).

Predictably, everyone's focusing on the least interesting aspect, the £1billion.

DUP would probably abstain on issues such as gay rights? But then the Tories don't need their votes for those issues.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

Far, far, far cheaper than Corbyn :D
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

a cimmunity you dont give a fk about and have for years is suddenly at the front of your concerns - yeah right

Sour? Not at all. Just surprised at Tory hypocrisy. I know, I know. But still.
  • Options

Not many hospitals or schools are over a couple of storeys so probably safe. The next issue will be offices and hotels, more of which are towers blocks.

The Premier Inn in Leicester by the railway station was re skinned recently for example:

Have fire regulations been weakened recently?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

Nothing magic about it. It comes out of the pockets of other taxpayers.

Do you have any better ideas? Maybe a Lab/SNP/LibDem/DUP deal? How much pork do you think would need to be plucked from English taxpayers for that to happen?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm sure the SNP are jealous that Scotland are no longer the centre of attention.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    If I were a Scot, I'd be wondering why the SNP hadn't sold their votes to the Conservatives - especially since they won't be risking a general election any time soon, given their vulnerability to increased tactical voting in many seats. I'd have thought a few billion would have come in very handy.

But apparently the Scots don't believe in using long spoons.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

Do you have any better ideas? Maybe a Lab/SNP/LibDem/DUP deal? How much pork do you think would need to be plucked from English taxpayers for that to happen?
    An October election.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

There certainly isn't anything magic about it Nabbers.

It's called a bung !!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Not to my knowledge, but the enforcement and inspection of them by councils and Fire Brigades seems to have suffered.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

If I were a Scot, I'd be wondering why the SNP hadn't sold their votes to the Conservatives

Working with the Tories would be bad for the SNP.

Like docking tails, oh, wait, never mind...
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Get upto date Alan O2 stadium and very successful even against all your presumed ranting at the time.
    The Millenium Dome (government project) was a flop.

The O2 Arena (privatised) is a success.

Privatisation works. Who would have guessed it?
  • Options

RobD said:

Not to my knowledge, but the enforcement and inspection of them by councils and Fire Brigades seems to have suffered.
    Ah, a good point. I suspect all parts of council spending have been squeezed. Do you have any firm numbers on this?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Sour? Not at all. Just surprised at Tory hypocrisy. I know, I know. But still.
    If I want hypocrisy I need look no further than Labour, the party which bans trade unionists from standing as Labour in NI

" we hate sectarian politics but were fked if well do anything to discourage it "

by the way could we have your contribution to national funds please
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

An October election.
    And what if that give the same result, or any even more chaotic result? Meanwhile, the Article 50 negotiations will be in full swing. It's a non-starter.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Still had to build it or have you forgotten.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

kle4 said:

How do Scotland and Wales feel about this deal? What about the poorer English regions? What about the Catholic communities in NI?

F*ck the lot of them?
    They'll feel a lot worse in the future as the opposition parties stress daily that every penny piece give to the DUP is an operation cancelled, a teacher sacked, a police officer let go in the rest of the UK.
    what nonsense

you havent called a vote right for ages

desist
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

An October election.
    And what if that give the same result, or any even more chaotic result? Meanwhile, the Article 50 negotiations will be in full swing. It's a non-starter.
    Not many decisions that could save a billion quid for just a few weeks work. Don't be frit. Be confident, go for it.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

chortle

a success once given to the private sector

how much did you blow beforehand ?
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited June 2017
    For the first time since 10pm I feel positive about UK politics. Passing the QS (and hopefully restoring power-sharing in NI) will give the Tories the chance to turn the narrative around.

For the first time since 1972, a government is operating with the support of MPs in all the Home Nations. A good day for unionism.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

An October election.
    Not many decisions that could save a billion quid for just a few weeks work. Don't be frit. Be confident, go for it.
    What do you mean, 'save a billion quid'? Your party's position implies that the only thing wrong with the deal is that it's not a hundred times more profligate.
  • Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

kle4 said:

F*ck the lot of them?
    what nonsense

desist
    I blame ICM, vanilla forums and Nick Clegg ..
  • Options
    kurtjesterkurtjester Posts: 121
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

An October election.
    A billion? That's less than a tenth of what Labour poured into the NHS IT hole, and there was nothing to show for it.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Ah, a good point. I suspect all parts of council spending have been squeezed. Do you have any firm numbers on this?
    @TFS might be able to advise.

I do have a cousin who does council health and safety, mostly food related rather than fire. His dept has had loads of redundancies.
  • Options
    WILD about the NU FRED
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Yorkcity said:

Yorkcity said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

kle4 said:

Will May apologise?
    for what

Still had to build it or have you forgotten.
    We didn't have to build it.

But the government spent hundreds of millions on the Dome and flogged it on to AEG for the grand sum of £1. AEG turned their £1 purchase into a multi-billion pound property. That's credit to AEG not the government.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

The Magic money tree.

An October election.
    What do you mean, 'save a billion quid'? Your party's position implies that the only thing wrong with the deal is that it's not a hundred times more profligate.
    Given the DUP vote more with Labour than the Conservatives Im amazed to find our lefties arent singing from the rooftops the joy of triple lock pensions, more NHS spending and all that is progressive in the deal
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872

Tell me, where do you place our railway system on the flop/success scale, and how much of its success do you attribute to the thrusting entrepreneurial drive of such franchise winners as Abellio, Arriva, Keolis, and Trenitalia?
  • Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

JackW said:

kle4 said:

F*ck the lot of them?
    what nonsense

desist
    I blame ICM, vanilla forums and Nick Clegg ..
    you mix in the wrong circles spend your holidays in Belfast
  • Options
    NHants said:

If SNP had a uniform 8% swing against them, they would lose all 35 seats. Labour are 2nd in 25 of those, Conservatives 2nd in 9, LDs in 1 (Fife NE).

An 8% uniform swing (i.e. 16% margin) is actually a pretty big swing in the context of Scotland where, in many cases, 40% is plenty enough to win. Say 40% versus 24% is a fair old cushion. And the likelihood of that emerging on both fronts is low.

We've certainly seen - in 2015 - that a once dominant party can fall off that sort of cliff edge. But predictions of SNP demise in Scotland are very much premature. They have stronger local organisations than any of their opponents, and a credible Scottish leadership. They had a fairly poor General Election, but I can't see them melting away overnight in the way some are breathlessly claiming.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,472
    RoyalBlue said:

For the first time since 10pm I feel positive about UK politics. Passing the QS (and hopefully restoring power-sharing in NI) will give the Tories the chance to turn the narrative around.

For the first time since 1972, a government is operating with the support of MPs in all the Home Nations. A good day for unionism.

I've barely been able to get any work done or sleep since 10pm.

That changed today. Thank goodness.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,827
    edited June 2017
    From the weekend's discussions.

Two things did for Radiohead in my eyes:

I had an old Ford Escort into the boot of which I had fitted an inherited 10 CD autochanger. Unfortunately, the car could only control 6 CDs, meaning when it got to the end of CD6, the last song got stuck on continuous loop (or if random play found the last track). My first load up had a compilation CD in position 6, with Pyramid Song as the last track. It caught me 2 or 3 times and, being a bit inattentive, looped a number of times before I realised the Geneva convention was being broken.

I cannot hear the lyric ".Karma Police, arrest that man" without putting it into Tommy Cooper's voice. This has afflicted me for 20 years and I've never come up with a bloody punchline.

• Options

RoyalBlue said:

I've barely been able to get any work done or sleep since 10pm.

That changed today. Thank goodness.
    Better day today with Theresa May receiving praise from a Polish mother on her EU citizens status, DUP offering to publish all the correspondence with labour in 2010 and 2015 and their correspondence with the SNP in 2015 and Sajid Javid strong statement on Grenfell.

But the story of the day for me is the 1,000 fire doors needed to replace missing ones in Camden blocks. Where are the originals and how can any Council allow that to happen. Council resignations must be on the way
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,325

Scott_P said:

I think many PB Tories are fully aware May has been continually screwing up since April.

Since the day she sacked Osborne...
    That would be a mistake. The reason the election campaign turned is because the voters were reminded of austerity with winter fuel payments and social care fees. With Mr. Austerity himself in the government, we would never have got 42%, let alone the 46-48% of the early campaign.

The mistake was the manifesto, but May has been pulling it back since.
    Mrs May has been pulling it back? You reckon?
    Yes. I knocked on doors for the entire campaign, and I hate to think what would have happened had we had the election 10 days earlier. While we obviously achieved an undesirable result overall, we did have a semblance of recovery in the last week.

She then reacted in exactly the right way since then. She admitted her mistakes to the entire parliamentary party, took personal responsibility and got back to work. As I've always said, it's not about the mistakes you make, it's about how you respond to them. Speaking to people I know in Westminster, she is back working hard and impressing colleagues. David Davis coming out and backing her speaks volumes, as he is the only one the party might prefer. The very tight, well-worked out deal with the DUP for 0.02% of public spending is another positive sign.
    You seem to be suffering a severe case of self delusion . Your canvassing experience that the Conservatives were doing worse 10 days before polling day and recovered a bit in the final week goes against all the polling and every other canvassing anecdote posted on here during the campaign .
    Knocking on doors is just about the most misleading source of information on how a campaign is going - as the Tory canvasser who got a very polite and positive response from me even though I had already decided to vote Labour long before he arrived will never know. I didn't look, but if canvassed just my side of the road he'd have gone home a happy man. Had he done both sides he'd have encountered some serious anger.
    Didn't seem to mislead David Herdson.
  • Options
    New thread......
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,970

Tell me, where do you place our railway system on the flop/success scale, and how much of its success do you attribute to the thrusting entrepreneurial drive of such franchise winners as Abellio, Arriva, Keolis, and Trenitalia?
    Since it was all built by private companies and almost destroyed when in State hands I would suggest the answer to that is clear.
  • Options
    NHantsNHants Posts: 8

NHants said:

If SNP had a uniform 8% swing against them, they would lose all 35 seats. Labour are 2nd in 25 of those, Conservatives 2nd in 9, LDs in 1 (Fife NE).

An 8% uniform swing (i.e. 16% margin) is actually a pretty big swing in the context of Scotland where, in many cases, 40% is plenty enough to win. Say 40% versus 24% is a fair old cushion. And the likelihood of that emerging on both fronts is low.

We've certainly seen - in 2015 - that a once dominant party can fall off that sort of cliff edge. But predictions of SNP demise in Scotland are very much premature. They have stronger local organisations than any of their opponents, and a credible Scottish leadership. They had a fairly poor General Election, but I can't see them melting away overnight in the way some are breathlessly claiming.

16% is a fairly large margin....but SNP did suffer a 13% swing this time (ie 26% margin not safe). Further, SNP only just held on to a number of seats - I think it was 8 with a majority of less than 400, all with a tappable Unionist party vote in 3rd place, and several other with majorities of 3000 or less. Despite a share of 37%, they are only probably 'secure' in a handful of seats.

The SNP will not want an election soon, however much they pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,376
    Cost of membership of the calamitous EU = £8.5 billion per year NET
This discussion has been closed.