Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Norman Lamb says he not standing in LD leadership race

13»

Comments

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Wasn't there a poll out at 10pm 2 weeks ago?!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    edited June 2017
    Off topic: I am currently observing a red-necked nightjar.

Update: 2 of them.

And one is calling...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

THIS is so much bigger a story than anything else. The UK population is booming

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40372533

540,000 in one year. Incredible. We're gonna hit 70m in a few years, 80m seems inevitable. Without trying, we will soon dwarf countries like Italy.

The BBC story is a bit vage on the dates, but I am assuming the increase is between 31 Dec 2015, to 31 Dec 2016. i.e. including over 6 mouths after the referendum.

I do hope that that all the Doom Mongers and others who love to talk down this country, could look at this and accept that we live in a great place, that's why so many other people what to live hear. People what to move hear become its a safe, open and wealthy nation that offers opportunity to those who come, and while some bits could be improved and made even better, we are not doing bad.
    @ 30th June
    https://twitter.com/ONS/status/877926752177147906
    Room for another 34.5m easily.
    In the most densely populated country in Western Europe?

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/bulletins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/latest#impact-of-cross-border-migration-on-the-population-of-england-and-wales
    Economic hubs like West Belfast, Glasgow and Liverpool.
    There is not a uniform correlation, but the areas with the most population growth voted Remain, those with little or in population decline voted Leave.

Because people that like to live in busy cities don't care about immigration. People who like to live in less dense areas do. Not all of us want to end up like London.
    Or possibly, living alongside immigrants mellows views on them. I was brought up in a very white part of Britain and only really mixed with BME Britons in the 1980's in London, then in the Midlands.

I did look at a Consultant job in Truro, but dropped out. Amongst my reasons to do so is that after living in Leicester for a decade, it did seem rather socially bland.There were other job related reasons, such as wanting a teaching hospital post with a bit more variety of interest.
    I agree - it's fear of the unknown... having lived and worked in various parts of the country, north and south, urban and rural, it's those areas with fewest immigrants that you're most likely to encounter anti-immigrant feeling.
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928

Ave_it said:

Does anyone think that Emily Maitlis is Labour by any chance?! :lol:

Did you see her on the 2015 exit poll and the referendum night. She was beside herself
    I know a great story about Emily but I can't repeat it on here...
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited June 2017

Britain has plenty of space to expand its population. It just needs to explore the third dimension a bit more.

If there is one thing we have learnt in recent days, it is that even those people who live in high rises don't like living in them.
    There is no need to go to 25 storeys or even 10. Though contrary to your assertion, a lot of very expensive flats in London are high rise.
    Inner city Paris is limited to 6 stories as I recall, which does seem to combine high density and high quality housing quite well. The high rises of the outskirts much less so.

I have not long got back from Stockholm and Copenhagen where rather smart apartments of good quality are fairly ubiquitous.

I think Nick P pointed out the other day, the biggest influence on the attraction of housing is good maintenence, tidiness and good neighbours. Height, not so much.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,150

BigRich said:

Is this the Conservative version of the calls the Lib Dems where allegedly making from Egypt?
    The Egypt part was shown to be complete bollcoks caused by Guido being an idiot. The calls were from a number beginning 0203 which he confused with he international code for Egypt
    TBF the NSA once made the exact same mistake. The accidentally grabbed all the calls from Washington DC in an election year when they meant to snoop on Egypt.
    https://www.democracynow.org/2013/8/16/nsa_violated_surveillance_rules_thousands_of
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    RobD said:

nielh said:

May's offer is not as good as it looks.
    It is equivalent to saying that you can have permanent residency if you have been here for five years.
    But it isn't the same deal as what you have now if you are an EU citizen, which is an absolute right to live and work here.
    What if you leave the UK for a while? Do you then have a right to return?
    They would probably still deport you if you commit a minor crime under the proposed arrangements. They can change the rules after Brexit as much as they want.
    That is why the EU want ECJ oversight of any arrangements, they are absolutely right to insist on this in my opinion, because the UK have shown that they are brutal on immigration, and they have zero goodwill by the way they have approached the issue over the last year.

How much goodwill do the EU have for the way they approached the issue? The idea that non-citizens have more rights than citizens is a non-starter.
    If you are a foreigner with permanent resident status you have few rights compared with a UK citizen. You are still a second class citizen. IE one of my exes was stuck in visa purgatory for seven years, reapplying for visas every year costing a fortune each time. Eventually she got indefinite leave to remain. But then she went away to work overseas, and lost her permanent residence and therefore her right to return.

The EU have a different view on this issue, they think of citizenship as an absolute right, and not a temporary privilege. They want an absolute right to remain for their citizens. As someone who has a vested interest in this (my wife is an EU citizen) I appreciate their position, as should Brits living overseas.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

540,000 in one year. Incredible. We're gonna hit 70m in a few years, 80m seems inevitable. Without trying, we will soon dwarf countries like Italy.

The BBC story is a bit vage on the dates, but I am assuming the increase is between 31 Dec 2015, to 31 Dec 2016. i.e. including over 6 mouths after the referendum.

I
    @ 30th June

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/populationestimates/bulletins/annualmidyearpopulationestimates/latest#impact-of-cross-border-migration-on-the-population-of-england-and-wales
    There is not a uniform correlation, but the areas with the most population growth voted Remain, those with little or in population decline voted Leave.

Because people that like to live in busy cities don't care about immigration. People who like to live in less dense areas do. Not all of us want to end up like London.
    Or possibly, living alongside immigrants mellows views on them. I was brought up in a very white part of Britain and only really mixed with BME Britons in the 1980's in London, then in the Midlands.

I did look at a Consultant job in Truro, but dropped out. Amongst my reasons to do so is that after living in Leicester for a decade, it did seem rather socially bland.There were other job related reasons, such as wanting a teaching hospital post with a bit more variety of interest.
    I agree - it's fear of the unknown... having lived and worked in various parts of the country, north and south, urban and rural, it's those areas with fewest immigrants that you're most likely to encounter anti-immigrant feeling.
    Social class makes a big difference too. The social lubrication of a bit of money and some education makes for a bit more mixing and integration.It is why the East African Asians of Leicester are very well adapted, even when forming strong communities of their own.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

It is equivalent to saying that you can have permanent residency if you have been here for five years.
    But it isn't the same deal as what you have now if you are an EU citizen, which is an absolute right to live and work here.
    They would probably still deport you if you commit a minor crime under the proposed arrangements. They can change the rules after Brexit as much as they want.
    That is why the EU want ECJ oversight of any arrangements, they are absolutely right to insist on this in my opinion, because the UK have shown that they are brutal on immigration, and they have zero goodwill by the way they have approached the issue over the last year.

How much goodwill do the EU have for the way they approached the issue? The idea that non-citizens have more rights than citizens is a non-starter.
    If you are a foreigner with permanent resident status you have few rights compared with a UK citizen. You are still a second class citizen. IE one of my exes was stuck in visa purgatory for seven years, reapplying for visas every year costing a fortune each time. Eventually she got indefinite leave to remain. But then she went away to work overseas, and lost her permanent residence and therefore her right to return.

The EU have a different view on this issue, they think of citizenship as an absolute right, and not a temporary privilege. They want an absolute right to remain for their citizens. As someone who has a vested interest in this (my wife is an EU citizen) I appreciate their position, as should Brits living overseas.
    Tough.

If I reside in a foreign country, I should not expect to have the same rights as the local citizens, unless I become a citizen.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,296
    nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

There has to be accommodation for situations like yours but no way will the UK population allow ECJ rule over any of it's citizens
  • Options
    I think Theresa May has grabbed the initiative on the EU citizens and caught the EU on the hop
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    The EU27 believes UK citizens should enjoy more rights than the UK government does. No surprise there.

The role of the ECJ would be to interpret European law upon referral from UK courts. Can't see the problem myself.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

If I reside in a foreign country, I should not expect to have the same rights as the local citizens, unless I become a citizen.
    Yup. Its pretty straightforward.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Britain has plenty of space to expand its population. It just needs to explore the third dimension a bit more.

If there is one thing we have learnt in recent days, it is that even those people who live in high rises don't like living in them.
    There is no need to go to 25 storeys or even 10. Though contrary to your assertion, a lot of very expensive flats in London are high rise.
    I viewed one of the penthouses at the Barbican centre in 1983. I could Def live there. (A uni friend had a temp job there as an agent).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    You're happy about the mass evacuation???
  • Options

The EU27 believes UK citizens should enjoy more rights than the UK government does. No surprise there.

The role of the ECJ would be to interpret European law upon referral from UK courts. Can't see the problem myself.

Not going to happen. UK law must be sovereign
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited June 2017

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

An absurd position given that most of the immigrants live in the busy cities.
  • Options
    nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

The answer to this* is surely accelerated citizenship for EU citizens permenantly resident here on 29th March 2017?

* I have a friend who is a recently qualified doctor, with EU nationality, but resident in Britain 17 years. If she works overseas for a year (quite common for junior doctors wanting wider experience and research) then she would lose her right to return.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    rcs1000 said:

You're happy about the mass evacuation???
    Yes. Bloody plebs are an eyesore
  • Options
    Bobajob_PBBobajob_PB Posts: 928
    Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

No. The whole point was people could move as easily to Provence as to Pinner. Tell me what's wrong with that?
  • Options
    Compare and Contrast:

"EU Migrants"

"British Expats"

Only Jonny Foreigners can be migrants.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

No. The whole point was people could move as easily to Provence as to Pinner. Tell me what's wrong with that?
    More people view free migration as an imposition than a benefit.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Off topic: I am currently observing a red-necked nightjar.

Update: 2 of them.

And one is calling...

Fab. I have no idea what they look or sound like but I feel your joy.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

I do hope that that all the Doom Mongers and others who love to talk down this country, could look at this and accept that we live in a great place, that's why so many other people what to live hear. People what to move hear become its a safe, open and wealthy nation that offers opportunity to those who come, and while some bits could be improved and made even better, we are not doing bad.
    @ 30th June

So you didn't take the job because too many white people ,is that right.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,065

There has to be accommodation for situations like yours but no way will the UK population allow ECJ rule over any of it's citizens

It has done for 43 years. The majority of people alive in the UK have never existed during a time when the ECJ didn't have legal authority here.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

You seem to have misspelled Penzance.
  • Options
    Theresa May must go NOW.

The long she stays the more she damages the Tory party and ensures Corbyn becomes PM.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

More people view free migration as an imposition than a benefit.
    Mostly people think that , like taxes, immigration rules are for other people, not themselves.
  • Options

It has done for 43 years. The majority of people alive in the UK have never existed during a time when the ECJ didn't have legal authority here.
    And why is that right
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

You should if you have been told you do. I thought we were opposed to retrospective legislation in this country.

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    I believe a certain PBer was off to the nags...just saying like...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4628592/Ascot-racegoers-abandon-demure-style-Ladies-Day.html
  • Options

Theresa May must go NOW.

The long she stays the more she damages the Tory party and ensures Corbyn becomes PM.

You say she must go now and then state a reason for her to stay another year or so.
  • Options
    So, May's/Corbyn's relative popularity is much the same as straight after the election (36/36).
  • Options

Not going to happen. UK law must be sovereign

It would be UK law. That's the whole point.

• Options

I think Theresa May has grabbed the initiative on the EU citizens and caught the EU on the hop

Why couldn't she be bold and make it a unilateral offer - that way she might have gained the initiative.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Mortimer said:

surbiton said:

calum said:

BigRich said:

SeanT said:

@ 30th June

So you didn't take the job because too many white people ,is that right.
    Partly, but also without a University and the broader intellectual life that I had become used to.

Hospitals are some of the most multicultural places to work, even in places like Cornwall or Cumbria.
  • Options

And why is that right
    It's right because that's the way it's been for a very long period of time. No true small-c conservative could advocate getting rid of it.
  • Options
    NorthofStokeNorthofStoke Posts: 1,758
    Will the Corbyn Grand Illusion last until it is tested by power?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

What makes you think that? The EU27 tabled their own proposals weeks ago. They are far more generous to British citizens than the May ones.

• Options

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

You should if you have been told you do. I thought we were opposed to retrospective legislation in this country.

Where do you get that idea from?

Back in 1962, we ended free migration from the Commonwealth.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    20% swing in 2 months. eh? It'll be 110% by Christmas, y'know.

More seriously: it's pretty uniusual for the LOTO to be ahead on this mesasure, because it's always easier to visualise the PM as PM.

Is there a VI?
  • Options

Theresa May must go NOW.

In that case, let's give her a bit longer ;-)
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

Not retrospectively. The UK government is proposing to remove rights from EU27 and UK citizens that they currently enjoy and made life-changing decisions based on.

• Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Why couldn't she be bold and make it a unilateral offer
    For the same reason that has applied for the last year: a UK PM cannot hang out to dry British citizens living in the EU27.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

snip
    ar.

The answer to this* is surely accelerated citizenship for EU citizens permenantly resident here on 29th March 2017?

* I have a friend who is a recently qualified doctor, with EU nationality, but resident in Britain 17 years. If she works overseas for a year (quite common for junior doctors wanting wider experience and research) then she would lose her right to return.
    That has been the answer from day one after Brexit - just create a streamlined system for EU citizens to establish permanent residency and ultimately citizenship if that is what they want to do. But instead they have just had one embarrassing fuck up after the next, ie writing letters to longstanding EU citizens telling them to go home, turning us in to a national embarrassment, making the negotiations more difficult.

Another issue though is cost, I looked in to it and I think we are looking at around £2k to obtain citizenship, plus surrendering my wifes passport for 6 months plus while they process the application. Why should we have to pay that amount of money and go through all that hassle just to secure the same rights that we had pre Brexit?
  • Options

For the same reason that has applied for the last year: a UK PM cannot hang out to dry British citizens living in the EU27.

That's exactly what she's doing. She is proposing the have fewer rights than they do now.

• Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393
    nielh said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

snip
    ar.

That has been the answer from day one after Brexit - just create a streamlined system for EU citizens to establish permanent residency and ultimately citizenship if that is what they want to do. But instead they have just had one embarrassing fuck up after the next, ie writing letters to longstanding EU citizens telling them to go home, turning us in to a national embarrassment, making the negotiations more difficult.

Another issue though is cost, I looked in to it and I think we are looking at around £2k to obtain citizenship, plus surrendering my wifes passport for 6 months plus while they process the application. Why should we have to pay that amount of money and go through all that hassle just to secure the same rights that we had pre Brexit?
    As a UK citizen living in Denmark with my Danish wife I think you have an incredibly entitled take on what countries do or don't do - I might get Danish citizenship after 8 years, a tiresome buraucratic process, a language and citizenship exam, proof I have passed my other Danish language exams and have been in full time employment with a complete tax record

Unlike you I think this is up to the Danes even though they keep changing the rules every year or so
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

Tough.

Not retrospectively. The UK government is proposing to remove rights from EU27 and UK citizens that they currently enjoy and made life-changing decisions based on.

Actually, yes. People lost the right to migrate here. People here lost the right to bring in spouses and other family members. And no one fought of giving jurisdiction to the Supreme Courts of India and Pakistan.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

nielh said:

RobD said:

nielh said:

If you are a foreigner with permanent resident status , and lost her permanent residence and therefore her right to return.

Tough.

Actually, yes. People lost the right to migrate here. People here lost the right to bring in spouses and other family members. And no one fought of giving jurisdiction to the Supreme Courts of India and Pakistan.

They never had jurisdiction. But fair enough on the other points. If you think it's OK to take fundamental rights away from people that are specifically enshrined in law and which they have made life changing decisions based on, so be it. We'll have to disagree.

• Options

That's exactly what she's doing. She is proposing the have fewer rights than they do now.

And crucially, fewer rights than the EU is proposing we have.
This discussion has been closed.