Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Picking the nation’s leader. Why the Conservatives are running

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited June 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Picking the nation’s leader. Why the Conservatives are running out of options

We’ve been here before. For the second time in less than a year, the Conservatives are on the brink of replacing a leader between elections while in power. Yet right now they are in such a tizz, they aren’t considering some of the critical considerations that such a responsibility entails.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    Thinking The Herdson's suggestion of putting Jezza in to "govern" with 260 seats might not be a bad option...
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Boris! Boris! Boris!
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Crouch!!!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    GIN1138 said:

Thinking The Herdson's suggestion of putting Jezza in to "govern" with 260 seats might not be a bad option...

I think it would be very bad. Why should anyone in the future vote for a party that just threw a massive sulk after an election?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    I do think David Davis would be acceptable.

He may not have held to "Big three" important offices of state but he has been around for donkey's ages (going all the way to John Major's government) and he clearly has enough experience to be PM.

It's between Hammond, Davis and Boris for me - But I think if you want to stop Corbyn your not going to be able to do it with a dull "manager" like Hammond.

Davis could do the job but won't be popular with the public so again probably wouldn't stop Corbyn.

Which really leaves only Boris - It is a risk but I can't see anyone else who could stop Corbyn's populist bandwagon.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    GIN1138 said:

He may not have held to "Big three" important offices of stats but he has been around for donkey's ages (going all the way to John Major's government) and he clearly has enough experience to be PM.

It's between Hammond, Davis and Boris for me - But I think of you want to stop Corbyn your not going to be able to do it with a dull "manager" like Hammond.

Davis could do the job but won't be popular with the public.

Which really leaves only Boris - It is a risk but I can't see anyone else who could stop Corbyn's populist bandwagon.

This is exactly what I have been saying. Boris! The country needs you.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Going in to opposition would be ridiculous. You spend the whole campaign talking about how Corbyn is a dangerous disaster, then you make him PM? Then you either have to keep abstaining so he can govern, or you stop him from doing anything and look even more cynical and ridiculous.

If the conservatives can't govern, the only real option is another election.
  • Options
    gambitgambit Posts: 5
    Betting post

Betway offering 4-7 on Theresa May going before Arsene Wenger. Managed to get all of £7 on.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Hammond for me.
  • Options
    William_H said:

Going in to opposition would be ridiculous. You spend the whole campaign talking about how Corbyn is a dangerous disaster, then you make him PM? Then you either have to keep abstaining so he can govern, or you stop him from doing anything and look even more cynical and ridiculous.

They would be putting Corbyn in power, in the hope that he would cause great harm, and then the voters would come crawling back to them with their tails between their legs.

I can see some flaws in that.
  • Options
    RightChuckRightChuck Posts: 110
    Damian Green? Been around a while, no one hates him, emollient, can match Corbyn twinkle for twinkle in the kindly old uncle stakes and is May's sort-of deputy.

More importantly, I have two quid on him at 420 on betfair exchange. Come on Damo!
  • Options
    Floater said:
    The ultimate irony if the blue 3 quidders end up seeing a Corbyn-led Govt.

Even the thought of that gives me the heebie-jeebies.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    gambit said:

Betting post

Betway offering 4-7 on Theresa May going before Arsene Wenger. Managed to get all of £7 on.

The only way Wenger is ever leaving Arsenal is in a casket, the senile old pr*ck.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    edited June 2017
    Floater said:
    A stark and very real warning of what a Corbyn premiership would present. The literal theft of somebody's property because they happen to use it in a way that is perceived to be distasteful - ie - making profit from it, or keeping it vacant, or for whatever reason.

Where will this end? Illegal evictions of private property owners to make way for more 'deserving' demographics? It's only a step away from seizing other assets.

We are living in dangerous times.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    Sean_F said:

William_H said:

They would be putting Corbyn in power, in the hope that he would cause great harm, and then the voters would come crawling back to them with their tails between their legs.

I can see some flaws in that.
    Indeed. Given the Parliamentary arithmetic, Corbyn could only bring forward the most popular parts of his manifesto.
    Abolish tuition fees. Either it passes and Labour nails on a large grateful client group of young people, and their parents, or it falls and we have another GE, with the Tories still bereft of any popular policies to sell.
    A huge programme of retrofitting social housing, might have some appeal too. It could boost the construction trade, and the Tories could hardly oppose it.
    Southern Rail nationalisation is another.
    Either these pass then go to the country, or they fall, go to the country. Neither are beneficial to the Conservatives.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Floater said:
    The ultimate irony if the blue 3 quidders end up seeing a Corbyn-led Govt.

Even the thought of that gives me the heebie-jeebies.
    Just wait until we see his asylum policy,i expect it to be like merkels first attempt,we will need homes.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    Next Prime minister betting has Jeremy as clear favourite at 6/4 with William Hill -Hammond is on 10/1. Hammond is 6/1 to be next Conservative Leader (was 16/1) a few days ago.

Seems crazy to me the Tories are bound to go into the next election with a new leader - who would also be PM. Would be suicide to allow Theresa to be defeated in the Commons and let Jeremy say OK lets have an election if they had no one to replace her.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,914
    Jason said:

Floater said:
    A stark and very real warning of what a Corbyn premiership would present. The literal theft of somebody's property because they happen to use it in a way that is perceived to be distasteful - ie - making profit from it, or keeping it vacant, or for whatever reason.

Where will this end? Illegal evictions of private property owners to make way for more 'deserving' demographics? It's only a step away from seizing other assets.

At some stage wealthy individuals and cash-rich corporates might start to understand that being willing to pay a little bit more tax on money they can never hope to spend might be in their own best interests. When enough voters feel they no longer have a stake in the society in which they live yhey will choose to create a different one. Redistribution of wealth benefits everyone, not just those on the receiving end.

• Options
    One good thing that would come out of Corbyn's house seizure policy is that house prices would lower... Indeed by the time he's finished most "property" would probably be worthless, ha!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Why would any Tory MP - such as Robert Haflon and David Jones - sacked by Theresa May in the recent reshuffle - or in July 2016 on becoming PM - have failed to send a letter to Graham Brady asking for a leadership contest? Surely they would derive much emotional satisfaction from such an act of revenge!
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

This feels like a watershed moment.

Nobody wants neo-liberalism anymore.

We are definitely at the start of a realignment of politics, I fully agree with that.

But far from this being the end of Neo-Liberalism, I think it is its down, or at least rebirth.

The expression 'Neo-Liberalism' has been used as an insult by populists, in an attempt to keep us down, classical Liberals, or Libertarians, as those of us who understand the philosophy prefer to be called, is growing, and growing on a wide front, Macron's expected victory in France today is its best example yet.

I would highly recommend this video from the IEA about the their perception of the realignment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5OlkZ968xM
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Why would any Tory MP - such as Robert Haflon and David Jones - sacked by Theresa May in the recent reshuffle - or in July 2016 on becoming PM - have failed to send a letter to Graham Brady asking for a leadership contest? Surely they would derive much emotional satisfaction from such an act of revenge!

Probably because it's obvious she'll be going sooner or later anyway?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited June 2017
    Jason said:

Floater said:

From YouGov today:

Jeremy Corbyn has called for luxury properties in Kensington that are owned but left empty to be requisitioned and provided as accommodation for Grenfell Tower residents who have been made homeless by the fire. Would you support or oppose such a move?

% ...........TOTAL Lab Con LD SNP UKIP
    Strongly support 33 51 14 35 45 23
    Tend to support .26 30 26 34 27 24

So 40% of Tories support Corbyn on this.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171

Jason said:

Floater said:

At some stage wealthy individuals and cash-rich corporates might start to understand that being willing to pay a little bit more tax on money they can never hope to spend might be in their own best interests. When enough voters feel they no longer have a stake in the society in which they live yhey will choose to create a different one. Redistribution of wealth benefits everyone, not just those on the receiving end.

You do live in a perfect world where people will not take advantage of the redistribution that Corbyn is on about.The reason so many people are in work now is that benefits are now a bit less than they were 10 years ago. If you increase benefits through redistribution then work becomes a lot less atrractive
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    What is Kahn on about that the fire was caused by neglect? How much was the modernisation?
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    27 percent of housing in Grenfell tower were leaseholder properties. Something widely ignored. Landlords do not have freedom to do whatever they want, whatever the disruption and whatever the cost when leaseholders are involved.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    In my view if and when May goes the likeliest replacement for her will be Philip Hammond. Not only would he probably be the best bet for the Tories now to see off Corbyn and McDonnell but just as important the best bet for Britain to get a half decent Brexit deal. Hammond has an Oxford first, speaks fluent French and has a business background and is ideally suited to the task and EU leaders like German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schauble have a grudging respect for him they do not have for Boris. Davis will probably stay as Brexit Secretary
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    I think that ultimately a bigger % of the country want New Labour than any other option. New Labour is the consensus.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

We are definitely at the start of a realignment of politics, I fully agree with that.

But far from this being the end of Neo-Liberalism, I think it is its down, or at least rebirth.

The expression 'Neo-Liberalism' has been used as an insult by populists, in an attempt to keep us down, classical Liberals, or Libertarians, as those of us who understand the philosophy prefer to be called, is growing, and growing on a wide front, Macron's expected victory in France today is its best example yet.

I would highly recommend this video from the IEA about the their perception of the realignment.

Macron is an economic centrist not a neoliberal. Fillon was the economic neoliberal candidate, though Macron is certainly a social liberal
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

In my view if and when May goes the likeliest replacement for her will be Philip Hammond. Not only would he probably be the best bet for the Tories now to see off Corbyn and McDonnell but just as important the best bet for Britain to get a half decent Brexit deal. Hammond has an Oxford first, speaks fluent French and has a business background and is ideally suited to the task and EU leaders like German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schauble have a grudging respect for him they do not have for Boris. Davis will probably stay as Brexit Secretary

You think the people voting for Corbyn will be inspired by Philip Hammond?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,379
    GIN1138 said:

The arithmetic doesn't even begin to support that idea. How on earth would you justify to the public letting Corbyn in and only allowing him to put through the commons the policies you approve of ?
    What do you do when he makes the first vote a confidence issue ?

And it you do allow him to pass legislation, you'd effectively be outsourcing the leadership of the Tories to Corbyn.

Utterly absurd - even before you begin to consider the executive powers the PM possesses which don't require commons votes.

And the message would also be "we don't have a leader any better than May".
    Pitiful.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    BigRich said:

Thanks for that link. Will give it a listen! :smile:
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    GIN1138 said:

justin124 said:

Probably because it's obvious she'll be going sooner or later anyway?
    Osborne sent his eleven months ago.
  • Options
    currystar said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

You do live in a perfect world where people will not take advantage of the redistribution that Corbyn is on about.The reason so many people are in work now is that benefits are now a bit less than they were 10 years ago. If you increase benefits through redistribution then work becomes a lot less atrractive

Redistribution is not just about benefits; far from it, in fact. It's about high-quality public services available to all: health, housing, transport, education, child-care etc.

• Options
    India two down for nothing much !
    Amir !
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He may not have held to "Big three" important offices of state but he has been around for donkey's ages (going all the way to John Major's government) and he clearly has enough experience to be PM.

It's between Hammond, Davis and Boris for me - But I think if you want to stop Corbyn your not going to be able to do it with a dull "manager" like Hammond.

Davis could do the job but won't be popular with the public so again probably wouldn't stop Corbyn.

You could not get much duller than John Major but he held off Kinnock's populist bandwagon in 1992
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

You don't need to appeal to people voting FOR Corbyn, just the people voting for Labour DESPITE Corbyn.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    Barnesian said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

From YouGov today:

Jeremy Corbyn has called for luxury properties in Kensington that are owned but left empty to be requisitioned and provided as accommodation for Grenfell Tower residents who have been made homeless by the fire. Would you support or oppose such a move?

Are any of the people displaced from Grenfell actually without accommodation?
  • Options
    Icarus said:

Next Prime minister betting has Jeremy as clear favourite at 6/4 with William Hill -Hammond is on 10/1. Hammond is 6/1 to be next Conservative Leader (was 16/1) a few days ago.

Seems crazy to me the Tories are bound to go into the next election with a new leader - who would also be PM. Would be suicide to allow Theresa to be defeated in the Commons and let Jeremy say OK lets have an election if they had no one to replace her.

For f* sake why don't the Tories just replace May with Hammond tomorrow afternoon and deal with this?

The public don't want another bloody election, so they aren't going to moan too much about mandates for a year or two.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Forget inspiration.

What's needed now is a period of competence.

And I have the strong impression that Johnson's ability to make decisions is no better developed than May's; it's just that he can screw things up with a more convincing display of insouciance.

• Options
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

The arithmetic doesn't even begin to support that idea. How on earth would you justify to the public letting Corbyn in and only allowing him to put through the commons the policies you approve of ?

And it you do allow him to pass legislation, you'd effectively be outsourcing the leadership of the Tories to Corbyn.

Utterly absurd - even before you begin to consider the executive powers the PM possesses which don't require commons votes.

Pitiful.
    Same idea in 1923 led to a Con landslide in 1924

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1923

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1924
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited June 2017
    Thanks Alastair.

My money is on an insult to democracy.

And Pakistan.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    gambit said:

Betting post

I note yr first post. Did you end up doing ok on the election :> ?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

You could not get much duller than John Major but he held off Kinnock's populist bandwagon in 1992
    That was a very different time with a very different electorate and a very different media.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

The arithmetic isn't even vaguely similar: 258 191 158
    The politics either.
    The Conservatives did not have the ability to form a government then; right now they could probably do so without any formal agreement with the DUP.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    BoJo would be a fascinating choice. He both appeals and repels like very few politicians. He has a formidable intellect and star quality charisma but he is a 'born to rule' upper crust type who lacks personal integrity and positively reeks of careerism and privilege. Corbyn by contrast is not very bright and is not a toff. He is low key in style but is perceived to be strong on integrity and principles. Chalk and cheese. A GE fought between the tories led by BoJo and a radical left labour party under Jezza would be the starkest choice we have had since 1983. In addition to massive policy differences it would also have a strong and highly divisive Class War vibe to it. For a political junkie like me, the prospect is utterly fabulous and bring it on! But for the country? Hmm, not so sure.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

I think we went thru the 1923/4 scenario the other day. Very risky.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

There's no third party like Liberals, from whom the Conservatives can make gains.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Barnesian said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

From YouGov today:

Just read about a survivor who was offered a hotel room in a high-rise hotel block. Understandably freaked out.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

It doesn't matter because they are not going to given the choice for at least two years and possibly more. Hammond is more likely to make a "success" of Brexit than Boris.

The problem the Tories have, when the next GE comes, is that they are going to lose a good chunk of their UKIP vote. They could drop from 42% share to say 36% -nothing to do with Hammond or Corbyn but the result of a Brexit that puts jobs ahead of immigration. If Corbyn is still on 40% and the rightwing vote is split then the result, according to Baxter, could be Labour most seats regardless of who the Tory leader is.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

Everything is risky for Con at the moment.

Keep May for two years for Brexit - There might not be a Conservative Party left when she's finished.

Change May for Hammond - He might be able to pull off Brexit but the public will find him dull, boring and uninspiring. Next to Corbyn he'll fade into the background. And what if he turns out to be as useless as May?

Change May for Boris - ANYTHING could happen. He might be a great success. He might be a terrible disaster.

Put Corbyn in to govern as a minority - He might turn out to be even more popular and successful in office than he is in Opposition.

These are dark times for #TeamBlue
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

That was a very different time with a very different electorate and a very different media.
    No it was the same choice of dull centrist Tory against left-wing populist Labour
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
  • Options

Jason said:

Floater said:

No. What you are suggesting is socialism, or worse, communism. It might have escaped your notice, but those models impoverish and starve millions.

You're as mad as Corbyn.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited June 2017
    Barnesian said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

From YouGov today:

Hmm......

Some questions:-

-What's "luxury"? Who defines it? What's any appeal process?
    -What's "empty"?
    -What if it were left unused for a month because the owner was thinking of redecorating or refurbishing?
    -Or three or six months?
    -What if the owner works abroad on a monthly contract and genuinely doesn't know when they will be back and wants a secure base for when that happens?
    - Is compensation to be paid and if so how much and for how long?
    - If not what else can the Govt seize and under what circumstances?
    - How does the owner get their property back and when?
    -What if it's mortgaged and the lender decides to call the loan in because their security is now in doubt?
    - What if the owner is foreign and you start an international tit for tat? Lots of Chinese owned flats in London for example so that's going to end well isn't it? Why should I suffer a trade embargo to goods I export to China from far off Wales forcing me to lay people off in the Valleys because people are grandstanding in London?

This was a dreadful tragedy. Huge efforts must be made to allieviate the suffering of those involved in a humane and practical fashion asap, no question. All aspects of this need to see full daylight in full public scrutiny for sure. However, we should also not all be leaping to conclusions before the technical enquiry as to the cause(s) has even really started. A bit less emoting wildly and a bit more thinking through the huge consequences of shoot from the hip responses might help.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    edited June 2017
    Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.
    Agreed. The Tories need to get their heads down and govern for the time being. The fact that the media appear to be taking seriously the prospect of Jeremy Corbyn forming a government on 260 seats just shows how much the narrative has changed and his stock has risen - they are taking what he says as gospel, even though it's patently nonsense on the numbers.

I don't think it's a good time to change a leader either - straight after a GE is a risky strategy. Better to wait at least a year, probably even better to be wait until after Brexit then wield the knife.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

No it was the same choice of dull centrist Tory against left-wing populist Labour
    Yes but the difference is that in 1992 the electorate was in favour of the dull centrist but now the electorate may well be in favour of the left wing populist.

Brexit's changed everything...
  • Options
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

No. What you are suggesting is socialism, or worse, communism. It might have escaped your notice, but those models impoverish and starve millions.

You're as mad as Corbyn.

No, I am not suggesting socialism or communism. I am suggesting that those who offshore money they can never hope to spend rather than giving some of it up in additional tax payments are not acting in their own long-term interests.

• Options
    Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

It doesn't matter because they are not going to given the choice for at least two years and possibly more. Hammond is more likely to make a "success" of Brexit than Boris.

The problem the Tories have, when the next GE comes, is that they are going to lose a good chunk of their UKIP vote. They could drop from 42% share to say 36% -nothing to do with Hammond or Corbyn but the result of a Brexit that puts jobs ahead of immigration. If Corbyn is still on 40% and the rightwing vote is split then the result, according to Baxter, could be Labour most seats regardless of who the Tory leader is.
    Corbyn took almost 20% of the 2015 UKIP vote so some Labour voters might also return to UKIP under such a scenario, however the Tories might be able to win back some voters May lost to the LDs and Labour to compensate while Corbyn is unlikely to be able to win over many more Tories he has not already won
  • Options

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.
    Agreed. The Tories need to get their heads down and govern for the time being. The fact that the media appear to be taking seriously the prospect of Jeremy Corbyn forming a government on 260 seats just shows how much the narrative has changed and his stock has risen - they are taking what he says as gospel, even though it's patently nonsense on the numbers.

I don't think it's a good time to change a leader either - straight after a GE is a risky strategy. Better to wait at least a year, probably even better to be wait until after Brexit then wield the knife.
    May's credibility is utterly destroyed though. At the moment the country appears to be leaderless...
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Yes but the difference is that in 1992 the electorate was in favour of the dull centrist but now the electorate may well be in favour of the left wing populist.

I don't think there is any possible course of action available to the Tories that doesn't lead to a Corbyn government in 1 to 5 years.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    The Conservatives were very happy to requisition people's property in WW2 . They were also happy in the 1950s and 1960s to compulsory purchase it at below market value for major building projects . If you had a nice property but were unlucky to live in the middle of a large slum clearance area again your home was requisitioned with below market value compensation .
  • Options
    Can we have an En Marche UK please?
  • Options

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    The Conservatives were very happy to requisition people's property in WW2 . They were also happy in the 1950s and 1960s to compulsory purchase it at below market value for major building projects . If you had a nice property but were unlucky to live in the middle of a large slum clearance area again your home was requisitioned with below market value compensation .
    Have you got sources for that please?
  • Options
    We might be needing a beer-match in this Final/
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

I don't think there is any possible course of action available to the Tories that doesn't lead to a Corbyn government in 1 to 5 years.
    It is beginning to look that way...
  • Options

How about a Clegg/Cameron/Blair centrist movement? I'd vote for them, and I reckon Middle England would too.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn took almost 20% of the 2015 UKIP vote so some Labour voters might also return to UKIP under such a scenario, however the Tories might be able to win back some voters May lost to the LDs and Labour to compensate while Corbyn is unlikely to be able to win over many more Tories he has not already won
    UKIP are dead and bankrupt and leaderless . They will never recover from this .A new far right party formed/led by Banks/Farage is a possibility but it will not be called UKIP .
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Far too warm. Roll on winter.

I agree that Hammond is the best bet if a leader is needed in the short term.

Mr. Gate, sounds good. Would give non-crazy lefties something to vote for and might actually force the Conservatives to up their game. But I'll believe it when I see it. The PLP has decided to kneel before the Friend of Hamas (with some honourable exceptions).
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

Keep May for two years for Brexit - There might not be a Conservative Party left when she's finished.

Change May for Hammond - He might be able to pull off Brexit but the public will find him dull, boring and uninspiring. Next to Corbyn he'll fade into the background. And what if he turns out to be as useless as May?

Change May for Boris - ANYTHING could happen. He might be a great success. He might be a terrible disaster.

Put Corbyn in to govern as a minority - He might turn out to be even more popular and successful in office than he is in Opposition.

According to Survation 13% of Labour voters are more likely to vote Tory under Hammond, 17% under Boris, 7% under Davis, 8% under Gove and 11% under Rudd. However 39% would be less likely to vote for the Tories under Boris, 26% less likely under Hammond, 29% under Davis, 32% under Rudd and 36% under Gove.
    http://survation.com/labour-party-now-polling-5-ahead-conservatives-public-say-theresa-may-resign-49-38/

Of course a Corbyn McDonnell government would be a disaster for the country but ironically the quickest way to revive the Tories, we would be asking the IMF for a bailout in a year or two, the EU would make mincemeat of Corbyn and Starmer and the unions would be running the country
  • Options
    Jason said:

How about a Clegg/Cameron/Blair centrist movement? I'd vote for them, and I reckon Middle England would too.

I'd also vote for them. Problem is the leader. Clegg is tainted by tuition fees. Cameron tainted by Austerity. Blair tainted by Iraq.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,982

It'll have to be up to Salmond. He's the UK's foremost political GILF specialist.
  • Options

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    Google is your friend
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Floater said:

You're as mad as Corbyn.
    It might help the rehousing issue to have a general x country appeal for vacant accomodation, if there is any and then let individuals choose if they are happy to be relocated. Yet again the issue does appear to be a lack of organisaioal ability. Given how much senior council officials are paid then if the stories about inability to pull this together and provide rapid solutions are true then its poor.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

May's credibility is utterly destroyed though. At the moment the country appears to be leaderless...
    She had a nightmare election and didn't come out of it well. Nevertheless, she won the most votes and seats. She is damaged, certainly, but it would be hasty to dump her on the eve of Brexit negotiations. Tory voters are likely going to be incensed that the party changed PM a week after an election.

She should not be let anywhere near another vote, but the best thing to do right now is keep her in a caretaker role for the time being. Anything else leads to massive issues of legitimacy, another GE and Corbyn in number 10 by the end of the year.

Also worth mentioning - the narrative is awful for the Tories now. But will it always remain so, all the way up to the next election? People need to stop being so ridiculously hasty.
  • Options

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    Google is your friend
    I'm sorry but that isn't how this works. You can't just make a claim and then tell ME to Google it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Nigelb said:

GIN1138 said:

Pitiful.

According to Survation 13% of Labour voters are more likely to vote Tory under Hammond, 17% under Boris, 7% under Davis, 8% under Gove and 11% under Rudd. However 39% would be less likely to vote for the Tories under Boris, 26% less likely under Hammond, 29% under Davis, 32% under Rudd and 36% under Gove.
    http://survation.com/labour-party-now-polling-5-ahead-conservatives-public-say-theresa-may-resign-49-38/

Of course a Corbyn McDonnell government would be a disaster for the country but ironically the quickest way to revive the Tories, we would be asking the IMF for a bailout in a year or two, the EU would make mincemeat of Corbyn and Starmer and the unions would be running the country
    We cannot hand over the reigns of power to Corbyn, no matter how tough it gets for the Tories. Corbyn has been emboldened, and has already starting talking about property theft from a demographic he despises.

That's the tip of the iceberg. Imagine him as PM and McDonnell as chancellor. The damage they would do would sink this country.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

UKIP are dead and bankrupt and leaderless . They will never recover from this .A new far right party formed/led by Banks/Farage is a possibility but it will not be called UKIP .
    Even if it is called a different name a Farage/Banks party would certainly win back a number of former UKIP voters in the event of a softer Brexit
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I take your point on Labour losing some UKIP support. 2% loss would take Labour down to 38% and UKIP back to 10%. (I'm assuming the Tories lose 6% because of UKIP returning to the fold).

Baxtering that still leads to Labour taking most seats but dependent on the SNP to get a majority.

I don't see the Tories winning many seats back from the LibDems, if any. I suspect that Richmond Park will be a LibDem gain next time when the 5,773 Labour voters are reminded that the Tories won by 45 votes. I think the LibDems in RP slipped up on the Labour squeeze this time and took their vote for granted. They won't next time.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Alastair has logic on his side, but I'm not convinced Conservative MPs are thinking in those terms, let alone party members.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    BigRich said:

Ironic, isn't it?

The French have elected probably the free market government in the world. While we can't decide between the illiberal Mrs May or the Marxist Mr Corbyn.
  • Options
    Can anybody make sense of Labours Brexit position of staying in the customs union but leaving the single market?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    "Anything else would be an insult to democracy."

No it would not. We elect MPs not PMs. Anyone who can command a majority in Parliament is fit and suitable to be a PM as that is ultimately the decision of the MPs not the public.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited June 2017

Who knows ?!?

But given the handling of this matter by the local council who would be surprised if there some surviving stragglers sleeping in doorways or asked to move back to Grenfell Tower and clear up the mess with a government supplied toothbrush or picked up for vagrancy in tube stations?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

The Tories got 42% in 2017 ie exactly the same as Thatcher got in 1987, Major won in 1992 by winning 41% and holding almost all that vote, Hammond would need to do the same
  • Options
    edited June 2017

No it would not. We elect MPs not PMs. Anyone who can command a majority in Parliament is fit and suitable to be a PM as that is ultimately the decision of the MPs not the public.

Technically yes but in practice no.

I don't think, in this day and age, you could be PM of the country from the backbenches or the Lords for that matter.

The minimum to be PM, I would say, is to be a Cabinet minister though I don't think it necessarily has to come from the "big three" offices of State anymore...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. Jason, none of them are in the Commons...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

BigRich said:

Ironic, isn't it?

The French have elected probably the free market government in the world. While we can't decide between the illiberal Mrs May or the Marxist Mr Corbyn.
    Macron was not as right-wing economically as Fillon though
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027

An unexpected defence from you of the parliamentary democracy that brought us our EU membership in the first place. I suppose you'd be perfectly happy with a Remain majority revoking Article 50 and be sanguine about overturning their actions in the next parliament after they were turfed out?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited June 2017

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    Back n the 30's my home town collected for a hospital, and JUST before the wat t'committee puchesded a piece of land on which to build it. It was compulsory purchased ten years late for a school at about the price paid before the war; much less than it was then worth.
  • Options

Constitutionally, yes. In practice? It can play out differently. Brown was forever plagued by jibes that he had no mandate. May would have had the same if she didn't call the recent election.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Can anybody make sense of Labours Brexit position of staying in the customs union but leaving the single market?

That's Turkey's position isn't it?
  • Options

Jason said:

I'd also vote for them. Problem is the leader. Clegg is tainted by tuition fees. Cameron tainted by Austerity. Blair tainted by Iraq.
    True, but those three combined would be a formidable force. Biggest problem, though, is they are all Europhiles. This country's in a fucking mess. We have a far left extremist that has been partially legitimised, a lame duck PM, and confusion over Brexit on all sides (apart from maybe UKIP).

A foreign investor looking to set up shop may well look at Britian and think 'no, it's too big a risk'. Just look at the rhetoric on this site. In a globalised economy, we need every advantage available to us, and yet people are willing to shrug their shoulders and offer up Corbyn as the saviour of the nation.

We've come full circle since the 70s.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I agree with you about Hammond. I saw him on Marr this morning and he's just about on the right side of the fruitcake line which is more than you can say about the other contenders.

He also answers questions without obfuscation which on the Tory side makes him unique.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

That's Turkey's position isn't it?
    Dunno. I would've thought the single market was more important but who knows?
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    Google is your friend
    I'm sorry but that isn't how this works. You can't just make a claim and then tell ME to Google it.
    AGREED.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Roger said:

I agree with you about Hammond. I saw him on Marr this morning and he's just about on the right side of the fruitcake line which is more than you can say about the other contenders.

He also answers questions without obfuscation which on the Tory side makes him unique.

Rogerdarmus tipping Hammond must be the kiss of death for him! :D
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

HYUFD said:

Barnesian said:

GIN1138 said:

HYUFD said:

I take your point on Labour losing some UKIP support. 2% loss would take Labour down to 38% and UKIP back to 10%. (I'm assuming the Tories lose 6% because of UKIP returning to the fold).

Baxtering that still leads to Labour taking most seats but dependent on the SNP to get a majority.

I don't see the Tories winning many seats back from the LibDems, if any. I suspect that Richmond Park will be a LibDem gain next time when the 5,773 Labour voters are reminded that the Tories won by 45 votes. I think the LibDems in RP slipped up on the Labour squeeze this time and took their vote for granted. They won't next time.
    The likes of Kensington, Bedford and Reading though May go back to the Tories from Labour though if a softer Brexit is pursued and the Dementia Tax dumped. The Tories are more likely to pursue fudged Brexit than full soft Brexit so I doubt 6% will go back to UKIP
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919

Jason said:

Floater said:

Drama Queen
    Google is your friend
    It is indeed. Particularly when the person making claims (you in this case) is being misleading. The requisitioning of properties in WW2 required a whole raft of new laws to be passed by Parliament to allow it to happen and include compensation. Very different from what Corbyn is proposing and you are apparently supporting.
This discussion has been closed.