Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Picking the nation’s leader. Why the Conservatives are running

1235»

Comments

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    If anyone has experience campaigning for local elections as an independent or part of a small party, and wouldn't mind sharing tips please message me
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,115
    kle4 said:

Well, dull competence was what made TMay seem the best option last time, and things have not exactly worked out for the Tories. On the same reasoning I'd much prefer Hammond to Boris, and therefore the former is probably not the best option, alas - the people want someone to emote at them incoherently, clearly, and high risk that he is, Boris can manage that better than others. Plus as a former Remainer the headbanger crowd who have presumably been behind the rumours for months that Hammond was sidelined and going to be sacked, would not stand for it.

There may not be another general election for 5 years, we know Brexit talks start tomorrow, Hammond is by far and away the best contendor to lead those and how the Brexit talks go will be a key factor in determining the next election result
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953
    Can I float two more options.

Lord Hague

and

Lord Howard

Both have led the party before. Both have the ministerial experience.

Both would, I think, be useful 'in a crisis' leaders.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,116
    Mortimer said:

Lord Hague

and

Lord Howard

Both went down to defeat in General Elections on Eurosceptic platforms.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Davis v Boris = happy with either.

Can't imagine the bedwetters will be though - which is a good sign.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,495
    Mortimer said:

Lord Hague

and

Lord Howard

They would need to stand for the Commons on appointment. I see very little sign that Howard would want to do so, and probably not Hague. Plus the by-election would be fraught with dangers.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Anyone trying to decide should be watching BBC2 now
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,495
    nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

Goupillon said:

As I said a few days ago Ed Davey Leader and Jo Swinson Deputy Leader - as soon as possible because the Liberal Democrats need to be able to effectively express their views in this current very unstable time.

Oh no not Ed Davey >:

Better than Vince I suppose - but the party has to reach beyond Southwest London I think !

Check out the wholesale hollowing out job Ruth Davidson has done on the Lib Dem Highland vote.
    And Cameron in the southwest....

I think at the next election Tories should really target N.Ireland seats, perhaps they cab do to the DUP what they did to the libdems.

Seriously, Cable should be leader, you need someone with a high profile right now.
    There is absolutely zero chance of the province moving to the party system of the rest of the UK at this stage, possibly ever.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,953

Mortimer said:

Lord Hague

and

Lord Howard

General election next scheduled for 2022, so.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

You lost me at BBC.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Lord Hague

and

Lord Howard

General election next scheduled for 2022, so.....
    Neither will have the slightest interest in doing that, both have already been party leader and lost and it hardly sends much of a message to the EU if we have to get a leader to negotiate with them who the British people have already rejected
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

HYUFD said:

TGOHF said:

You lost me at BBC.
    It is an inside account of the 2016 leadership race and has had some very interesting insights into Team Boris, Team May, Team Gove and Team Leadsom
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

HYUFD said:

JackW said:

French Parliamentary Election - Turnout 43.5%

Projection 577 seats :

LREM - 355
    LR - 125
    PS - 49
    LFI 30
    FN - 8 (LePen Wins)

A clear majority for Macron in the legislature to match his clear victory in the presidential election, so he has the mandate, he now needs to deliver
    French Independent Liberal Democrats Orange Bookers Winning Over There.
    Pretty much, if Macron was running in the LD leadership race he would sweep to victory
    I can't help feeling that the last place a British Macron would find himself is running for the leadership of the Lib Dems.
    He certainly would not be running for the leadership of Corbyn Labour or the Tories
    What are the big differences between Macron and Cameron?
    The letter E
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Scott_P said:
    Not Davis surely. Hammond is better.
  • Options
    chloe said:

Scott_P said:
    Not Davis surely. Hammond is better.
    Hammond will be the Remain candidate in the final 2, Leavers are just deciding whether Davis or Boris will be the Leave candidate to oppose him
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

May's issue is not that she is dull, but that she is incompetent. Conservative leaders have never sold themselves as lovable or exciting figures. They have, however, sold themselves as competent figures, and when that falls apart the sh*t really does hit the fan for the party. This is why Hammond may not be such a bad choice - he is dull, but may well be far more competent than May was. I believe May's deficiencies led an increasing number of voters to take a second look at Jeremy Corbyn and Corbyn took advantage of that opportunity.

Disagree. The Tories now have full ownership of Brexit, and there's not a single sensible commentator who says this won't result in a noticeable economic hit. So the Tories' reputation for dull-but-pragmatic competence has been sacrificed on the alter of ideology. Their only option now is to counter the Corbyn phenomenon with a rock star of their own. Dreary bank managers won't cut it.
    Labour is never as weak or as strong as it looks. It was never going to be wiped off the map as some thought only a few months ago. It isn't a shoe in for the next election now.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308

May's issue is not that she is dull, but that she is incompetent. Conservative leaders have never sold themselves as lovable or exciting figures. They have, however, sold themselves as competent figures, and when that falls apart the sh*t really does hit the fan for the party. This is why Hammond may not be such a bad choice - he is dull, but may well be far more competent than May was. I believe May's deficiencies led an increasing number of voters to take a second look at Jeremy Corbyn and Corbyn took advantage of that opportunity.

Disagree. The Tories now have full ownership of Brexit, and there's not a single sensible commentator who says this won't result in a noticeable economic hit. So the Tories' reputation for dull-but-pragmatic competence has been sacrificed on the alter of ideology. Their only option now is to counter the Corbyn phenomenon with a rock star of their own. Dreary bank managers won't cut it.
    Labour is never as weak or as strong as it looks. It was never going to be wiped off the map as some thought only a few months ago. It isn't a shoe in for the next election now.
    It will be a shoe in with Davis as Tory leader.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    chloe said:

It will be a shoe in with Davis as Tory leader.
    42% did not vote for Corbyn for a reason
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,974
    Chris_A said:

Dadge said:

Boris should be anointed leader, and he should stand up and say the following: 'Look, the two-year timeline was ridiculous so we're asking our EU friends for an indefinite extension. If, after that, we haven't got a deal that pleases everyone, we'll have another referendum whose options are Dave's Deal or WTO'. If they did that the Tories would win the next GE with a landslide.

I think offering another referendum would be too dangerous. If it's "Accept the terms / don't accept the terms", the public will probably vote against ANY terms. That's what the public are like. If the referendum is "Choose between these 2 or 3 Brexit options" you're asking non-experts to make a choice they're not equipped to make. Turn out would probably be low and not give a mandate. I think the chance of there being another referendum is virtually nil, unless there's a political consensus that the country has changed its mind.

But assuming that Brexit goes ahead, going in to the next election as the party of Brexit will never give the Tories a good result.
    They weren't equipped to make the choice last year. Stupid Tories still let them though and are reaping the rewards. Shame we're all buggered with them
    Not surprising to see you still hate the basic concept of democracy. You really are the most despicable of people.
This discussion has been closed.