Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » GE2017 campaign suspended though what that means is hard to sa

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Blue_rog said:

May channelling her internal Churchill

Strong and stable, when required :smiley:
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

Your posts are deliberate and unworthy, and seek advantage. Whether they are based on truth, or not, is irrelevant. As I said.

My posts are clearly deliberate but perhaps you might clarify why they are "unworthy" and why I would "seek advantage" for a particular party?
    I worry that you cannot see how seeking to use the murder of innocent teenagers, just hours after the event, the victims as yet unidentified and for reasons still unknown, to advance your argument for not voting for a particular party in the coming election is both seeking advantage and unworthy.

Your original post has already attracted sufficient responses to indicate you are fighting a losing battle with this one.
    I am not arguing for voting for any political party but expressing my view on the significant implications of the event for Corbyn.

This site exists for the discussion of such matters.

Time and a place though, isn't there, Jack?

Immediate attempts to make political capital out of such distressing events are likely to be viewed with disdain.

You got dangerously close, my old cocker.
    Yes I respect JackW he could have refrained for a time I feel.
    As others have said, the purpose of the site is betting on politics. Jack and anyone else is perfectly entitled to discuss how the events might impact the election. That might sound cold but the reality is that the election campaign *will* look completely different after last night. Some issues will take on a salience they didn't have before; others will fade from view. Candidates to be PM will be judged by different standards. This all matters and shouldn't be off-limits just because some might view it as a bit tasteless.

I didn't plan on posting much today precisely because I do find that analysis tasteless but I strongly defend the right of those who want to do so, providing that they do so in the right place. And the right place is here.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

Your posts are deliberate and unworthy, and seek advantage. Whether they are based on truth, or not, is irrelevant. As I said.

My posts are clearly deliberate but perhaps you might clarify why they are "unworthy" and why I would "seek advantage" for a particular party?
    I worry that you cannot see how seeking to use the murder of innocent teenagers, just hours after the event, the victims as yet unidentified and for reasons still unknown, to advance your argument for not voting for a particular party in the coming election is both seeking advantage and unworthy.

Your original post has already attracted sufficient responses to indicate you are fighting a losing battle with this one.
    I am not arguing for voting for any political party but expressing my view on the significant implications of the event for Corbyn.

Immediate attempts to make political capital out of such distressing events are likely to be viewed with disdain.

As others have said, the purpose of the site is betting on politics. Jack and anyone else is perfectly entitled to discuss how the events might impact the election. That might sound cold but the reality is that the election campaign *will* look completely different after last night. Some issues will take on a salience they didn't have before; others will fade from view. Candidates to be PM will be judged by different standards. This all matters and shouldn't be off-limits just because some might view it as a bit tasteless.

I didn't plan on posting much today precisely because I do find that analysis tasteless but I strongly defend the right of those who want to do so, providing that they do so in the right place. And the right place is here.
    Considering the amount of exposure TM's speech will get today, I would suggest that the Tory majority is likely to go up. All depends on Corbyn's response.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,996
    Damned fine speech from May. The PM giving a speech brings home how serious it is.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Blue_rog said:

Good but when she said "this is not the first time" etc I suddenly hoped that she was going to break the mould and give a line about what is actually going to be done to sort this out, but then came the usual platitudes etc. Nothing to see here.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    I did not wish to immediately discuss the election when I heard about the events, nor did I think it would be right to do any betting and take advantage of the markets. It is very likely this will have a sizeable impact on the election outcome, but there is always a small chance (as I assume happened with Jo Cox) that it won't.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Impressive statesmanlike speech from May.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

Damned fine speech from May. The PM giving a speech brings home how serious it is.

Never has the adage "a week is a long time in politics" been truer than today.
  • Options
    Juncker: "We will work side by side... to fight back against those who seek to destroy our way of life"

I can't imagine that anybody or anything is likely to threaten the unelected, exceedingly pleasant way of life you have succeeded in carving out for yourself Mr. Juncker, all at the expense of the EU taxpayers.
  • Options
    theakestheakes Posts: 842
    I have read the responses to my suggestion the election be cancelled full stop. It is what I would generally expect people to say in the immediate aftermath BUT we do not know the reasoning of the bombing, it might be unconnected, but the next week or two will be the families grief, funerals etc, highly publicized, we do not want to be campaigning against that backdrop or do we? Not for me I am afraid. As I said an unecessary election anyway and the campaign anyway has been pretty unedifying. The new Parliament would have the MPs sitting at the time Parliament ended , guess some of the retirees would change their minds and a few by elections to fill other vacancies - also the summer recess is fast approaching anyway. Time to take stock and draw breath. Cancel the election and divert all energies to identifying the sources of the attack/s.
  • Options

Blue_rog said:

Good but when she said "this is not the first time" etc I suddenly hoped that she was going to break the mould and give a line about what is actually going to be done to sort this out, but then came the usual platitudes etc. Nothing to see here.
    I'm getting a bit sick of that response. I'd like to see some sort of action. It's also irritating to hear that the person was known to the police. Why wasn't he prevented from acting? I don't know the answers but at times like this it's difficult not to say I WANT SOMETHING DONE.
  • Options
    theakes said:

I have read the responses to my suggestion the election be cancelled full stop. It is what I would generally expect people to say in the immediate aftermath BUT we do not know the reasoning of the bombing, it might be unconnected, but the next week or two will be the families grief, funerals etc, highly publicized, we do not want to be campaigning against that backdrop or do we? Not for me I am afraid. As I said an unecessary election anyway and the campaign anyway has been pretty unedifying. The new Parliament would have the MPs sitting at the time Parliament ended , guess some of the retirees would change their minds and a few by elections to fill other vacancies - also the summer recess is fast approaching anyway. Time to take stock and draw breath. Cancel the election and divert all energies to identifying the sources of the attack/s.

We didn't stop a referendum after an MP(!) was killed just days before. The coverage of this will fade into the background over the week.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

Blue_rog said:

Yes that would have been a good pivot, but I think May has learnt her lesson about improvising policies on the hoof.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 1,996
    theakes said:

Suppose you cancel it and re-arrange for the Autumn and then there is another terrorist attack shortly before the re-arranged election. Do you then keep cancelling it again?

Unfortunately, with most campaigns taking 6 weeks there is always at least a moderate likelihood of some terrible event interrupting it.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Blue_rog said:

^^^ this.

We need to shift the paradigm - a politician that suggests a more radical approach may see their support surge.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Never has the adage "a week is a long time in politics" been truer than today.
    +1
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    theakes said:

Do you want the election to be cancelled because you now believe it will disadvantage the party you support even further if it goes ahead? Legitimate quesion, I believe.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Blue_rog said:

Of course nothing is going to change, Mr. Rising, and I am not sure that it should. We have to accept that the police and intelligence people are already doing their best, what else could be done. Keep calm and carry on is a great motto.

That politicians of all stripes feel it necessary to trot out all the usual banalities and platitudes is just a fact of modern society.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    theakes said:

No way. If it was on a 9/11 scale then yes, if it were a day or two before then yes. Otherwise it would be a sad admission that terrorists can affect all those things integral to our civilised society, and in particular our democracy. Investigations should carry on, mourning should take place but then campaigning should continue on Thursday in my opinion, all be it with a significantly changed tone for the following days.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    theakes said:

What a nonsense argument.

Anyway you can lay all the 1.03 you like if you think it isn't going ahead.
  • Options
    off topic - 2016/17 borrowing revised down by £3.5Bn to £48.7Bn.

First estimate of April up a bit though .
  • Options
    Brom said:

I did not wish to immediately discuss the election when I heard about the events, nor did I think it would be right to do any betting and take advantage of the markets. It is very likely this will have a sizeable impact on the election outcome, but there is always a small chance (as I assume happened with Jo Cox) that it won't.

The Jo Cox murder probably had a significant effect on the polls, if not the underlying support, in that it prompted a section of Leave support to go 'shy'. That in turn led the campaign teams to assume, wrongly, that Remain was leading in the run-up to the vote and influenced decisions taken. The murder might not have had much impact directly but it could well have done indirectly.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Blue_rog said:

^^^ this.

We need to shift the paradigm - a politician that suggests a more radical approach may see their support surge.
    Weneed to build a computer, a system that monitors everyone and can predict acts of terrorism.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Pulpstar said:

As a Mancunian I am appalled that my city has been attacked again. I am equally appalled, on this day that the GE has been suspended, is the fact that both BBC Victoria Derbyshire and SKY Kay Burley, are interviewing "Labour candidates" Lucy Powell and Graham Stringer. Both
    interviewers making it quite clear they are "Labour" candidates. This is absolutely out of order.

I wouldn't overworry it, the PM has de facto high visibility on days like today (It simply is). I doubt Derbyshire/Burley introducing Powell and Stringer as Labour candidate will make much odds.
    Yes, in ordinary times they'd interview the local MPs (I.e. this pair) - unfortunately, with parliament suspended, they can't call them that. Just unfortunate semantics, really.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

We need to build a computer, a system that monitors everyone and can predict acts of terrorism.

o_O Errm
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    Something is kicking off in the Arndale.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,965

Blue_rog said:

Even if you know what you are going to do about it, you don't announce it as those who carry out these attacks will listen and potentially change their tactics to incorporate the new information.

As such all you can say is platitudes - you leave the actual strategy and any changes to that strategy for elsewhere....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Seems something is going off at the Arndale Centre.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    TGOHF said:

Blue_rog said:

^^^ this.

They would indeed. Strip all those who fought with isis of citizenship and hand them over to Assad for a start.
  • Options

A bomb going off?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2017
    theakes said:

There will not be that backdrop for a simple reason: terrorist attacks are so common these days that the media will move on even from this one - when at least 20 people, mainly children, have been killed - in the next few days. By the end of this week or next Tuesday at the latest the agenda will be about the election again. That is an indictment of how living under the terrorist yoke is the new normal, atrocities are basically factored into the narrative.

I say again: what is going to be done? That's what I wanted to hear a bit of in May's speech: some sense that the root causes are going to be addressed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,614

Blue_rog said:

Keep calm and carry on is a great motto.
    To be used in the event of an invasion.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

TGOHF said:

Blue_rog said:

^^^ this.

Weneed to build a computer, a system that monitors everyone and can predict acts of terrorism.
    I'm sure there is not simple answer - but some outside the box thinking is required.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

Just to note: the police have not said that this was a suicide bombing (although they have said that a single attacker was carrying an IED, detonated it, and died at the arena), nor have they said that a nail bomb was used. Rather than getting categorised as a stupid response - and there have been many - the observation that some people may have died in a stampede, as also happened at the Bataclan in Paris, is thoroughly responsible. That that can happen should be made better known by the police and other public services. Better still, put soldiers at any large gathering of people. Defend this country. Bombing Raqqa and Mosul doesn't seem to be achieving much in that direction.

I should add that security in Britain at many events and on some parts of the railway system is absolute crap. Although the advice is that people should report anything suspicious to "any member of staff", in reality some uniformed members of staff appear to have had no proper training and can even pooh-pooh those who report suspicious behaviour. (The response I got from a railway employee when I reported someone putting a package into an unlocked locker which he left open and to which he apparently had no key still chills me to the bone.)

All too many employees with a supposed security role (which on the railways for example includes all identifiable members of staff) are jobsworths who have little time for "members of the public", while at some entertainment and sporting events security is provided by boneheaded bouncers who enjoy boasting about meetings they have had with anti-terrorist police without appearing actually to have learnt much. There needs to be some education and some attitude readjustment. And not just among security personnel but also among ordinary people, for whom "just carry on" is the wrong message. There is a role here for the army.
  • Options
    RobD said:

A bomb going off?
    People being evacuated out of it.
  • Options
    Here is Jahadi Jez.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

RobD said:

A bomb going off?
    Sky saying armed police took somebody down. Could be some poor sod with the wrong look or something more serious.
  • Options

Here is Jahadi Jez.

Is that really necessary ?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Blue_rog said:

TGOHF said:

Blue_rog said:

^^^ this.

I'm sure there is not simple answer - but some outside the box thinking is required.
    Remote sensing of explosives, somehow? Maybe to detect particulates on clothing, which would be visible to sensors.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Blue_rog said:

We need to build a computer, a system that monitors everyone and can predict acts of terrorism.

o_O Errm
    Netflix - Person of Interest series 1 - 4
  • Options

RobD said:

A bomb going off?
    Sky saying armed police took somebody down. Could be some poor sod with the wrong look or something more serious.
    Bloody hope it isn't a bystander.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    "Manchester's Arndale shopping centre has been evacuated with video footage showing armed police escorting a man from the building.

Witnesses have described how people have fled the shopping centre in panic over rumours of a bomb threat."
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Blue_rog said:

Identity of the bomber known!!!!

Locally known as "Dave"
    One day one of these terrorists actually will be called "Dawud" locally known as Dave.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

In his case yes. He is a terrorist supporter and enabler, plain and simple. Remember he even wrote a reference letter for an ISIS fund raiser so they got released from jail.

My father worked in Manchester when the IRA flattened the place. I am more than a bit angry this morning.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Pulpstar said:

Blue_rog said:

o_O Errm
    Netflix - Person of Interest series 1 - 4
    Ah sorry, not something I have watched personally :)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501

Blue_rog said:

Keep calm and carry on is a great motto.
    To be used in the event of an invasion.
    Far better than the traditional "There has been a bomb in Cyprus so do not go near London" !
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    edited May 2017
    May is similar to Cameron in that she's very good at times of national crisis and emergency but is possibly prone to complacency and making silly mistakes when everything is calm?
  • Options
    WireWire Posts: 7

RobD said:

RobD said:

Welcome to PB @Wire

Damned decent of you not to immediately question the motives of a debutant poster.
    A sign of the times.

Edit: Seriously though, I do try to welcome posters on their first post.
    Yeah, but that one was so clearly insidious you might have made an exception to the rule.
    Hi Peter

Not insidious, if aimed at me. The knowledge and intellect on here makes that claim a little flimsy. The point was that people on all levels really need to be careful how they respond in one circumstance in case that response is then justifiably thrown back at them at a later date. Ask Colin Parry. I don't know where you are based but I can assure you that in the North West it is a very subdued day and lots of people are very upset.

I might add I look forward to your posts, very insightful, most of the time :-)

• Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

I'm getting a bit sick of that response. I'd like to see some sort of action. It's also irritating to hear that the person was known to the police. Why wasn't he prevented from acting? I don't know the answers but at times like this it's difficult not to say I WANT SOMETHING DONE.
    At the time of the Rigby murder, exactly four years ago today, it was suggested that the security services had the resources to watch a few hundred people people around the clock. We have been told that 850 UK citizens that went to fight with ISIS are returning home (to no mandatory reception), add in the thousands of other malcontents they need to watch, hate preachers, radicals that have "come to their attention" and it is plain they have no realistic chance of watching everyone. Indeed some estimates suggest they would need to increase from their current 4,000 staff, to over 100,000 staff to stand a chance of watching everyone that might be a serious trouble maker.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1184234/MI5-7-7-ringleader-radar-12-times--MPs-report-fails-point-finger.html

It said the agency, now 3,500-strong, would need hundreds of thousands of officers for comprehensive coverage.

The committee said Khan and fellow bomber Shehzad Tanweer were categorised as 'desirable' targets after they were overheard discussing fraud and travel to Pakistan.

But resources were so stretched agents could not even assess whether 'desirable' targets should be examined in more detail unless they were known to be plotting an attack.

The MPs said: 'They had to prioritise even within this essential group. Therefore a "desirable" target did not even get close to attracting a share of the limited resources available.'
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

Yes, it is, absolutely. More now than ever.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    theakes said:

Do you know what the purpose of terrorism is? The clue is in the name.

Man up.

(Edit - cancelling the election, presumably under the Emergency Provisions Act, would be one of the most profoundly undemocratic and unjustifiable actions taken by any government of this country. It would set an appalling precedent).
  • Options
    On topic, I've spent so many nights in the MEN Arena, in fact some of the happiest nights of my life have been in there.

My next gig there is Steps featuring the Vengaboys in December,

I'm going, nobody is going to stop me seeing them.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

May is similar to Cameron in that she's very good at times of national crisis and emergency but is possibly prone to complacency and making silly mistakes when everything is calm?

Strong and Stable*

*when required.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    Arndale Centre (Manchester) being evacuated - rumours of shots being fired.
  • Options

On topic, I've spent so many nights in the MEN Arena, in fact some of the happiest nights of my life have been in there.

I think you might be the only heterosexual male in the place :-)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Mr. Gin, I think that's true about May and Cameron.
  • Options
    I can't remember darker serendipity than the Sun's front page today.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814

Keep Calm And... Go See Steps! :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Blimey, just seen it... :o
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cameron saw the job of PM as akin to CEO of an established big brand. In that role he was very good when it came to representing it at home and abroad and trusted his board to run the various departments.

I was say the flaw was that PM is more than CEO of a company.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956

Damn right.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

The article from the former IRA terrorist went online about 30 minutes before the bombing...the Editorial two minutes before that....
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

In his case yes. He is a terrorist supporter and enabler, plain and simple. Remember he even wrote a reference letter for an ISIS fund raiser so they got released from jail.

My father worked in Manchester when the IRA flattened the place. I am more than a bit angry this morning.
    Today was the first time I cried on hearing about a terrorist attack and it's aftermath. The thought of dads dropping their daughters off for the concert and not being able to take them home. No words.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Apart from the God of Taste, who really should stop you.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Blue_rog said:

Blue_rog said:

At the time of the Rigby murder, exactly four years ago today, it was suggested that the security services had the resources to watch a few hundred people people around the clock. We have been told that 850 UK citizens that went to fight with ISIS are returning home (to no mandatory reception), add in the thousands of other malcontents they need to watch, hate preachers, radicals that have "come to their attention" and it is plain they have no realistic chance of watching everyone. Indeed some estimates suggest they would need to increase from their current 4,000 staff, to over 100,000 staff to stand a chance of watching everyone that might be a serious trouble maker.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1184234/MI5-7-7-ringleader-radar-12-times--MPs-report-fails-point-finger.html

It said the agency, now 3,500-strong, would need hundreds of thousands of officers for comprehensive coverage.

The committee said Khan and fellow bomber Shehzad Tanweer were categorised as 'desirable' targets after they were overheard discussing fraud and travel to Pakistan.

But resources were so stretched agents could not even assess whether 'desirable' targets should be examined in more detail unless they were known to be plotting an attack.

The MPs said: 'They had to prioritise even within this essential group. Therefore a "desirable" target did not even get close to attracting a share of the limited resources available.'
    This is a bit different, though, as the use of explosives implies organisation and planning, almost certainly a wider conspiracy, and buying components or smuggling explosives. This is what MI5 ought to be able to keep an eye on. It's not just some lone nutter grabbing a knife out of the kitchen drawer on his way out.
  • Options
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    theakes said:

Have a think about the consequences of that in terms of future actions.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Corbyn's unsavoury past associations and sympathies were always going to come back and bite him very hard indeed on his backside. I cannot now see how any decent Labour supporter can back this wretched man.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

Today was the first time I cried on hearing about a terrorist attack and it's aftermath. The thought of dads dropping their daughters off for the concert and not being able to take them home. No words.
    The women who takes my Tuesday morning gym class is a Mancunian....normally incredibly bubbly, great motivator, runs really good classes, today she was subdued, clearly upset and angry.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

You could see the pain on Clive Myrie's face last night. It can never be easy to report news like that.
  • Options
    Actually I was meant to be seeing Kiss next Tuesday at the MEN Arena.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Mr. L, perhaps. A lone individual can get through the net (we're lucky someone of Breivik's murderous intelligence is so rare) and if he was a solitary lunatic that would explain it. Even if there's a network, the police can never be 100%, and they do a very good job.

Mr. Eagles, I would've thought you'd want to avoid Tragedy...

Edited extra bit: did toy with axing that last line, but I do think humour's always important, most especially in the face of adversity.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

You're easily impressed. Why wasn't there better security? And she said nothing about improving security in the future. She was too busy talking about "loved ones", praising officials, talking about patrols in Manchester (fat lot of good they will do), and announcing her own travel plans. "We offer our full support to the authorities". (No, dear, you're supposed to be in charge of the authorities.) "We stand with the people of Manchester". "Let us remember those who died".

"Our country, our values, and our way of life will always prevail". What a shit speech. Oh and she's going to fight the "ideology" that inspires such attacks. What ideology is that? Name it. Stop blowing dogwhistles.

She also said that SHE announced last night that the general election campaign has been suspended. That is a disgrace. She should have said that she, Mr Corbyn, Mr Farron and Mr Nuttall have agreed to suspend the general election campaign. Where general election campaigning is concerned, she speaks only as the leader of the Tory party.
  • Options

Makes you proud to be British

Winston Churchill's retort when told an MP had been caught with a Guardsman in St James Park in the middle of January on a freezing night....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Morrisons are running a collection for the families of victims at supermarket checkouts.
  • Options
    Kudos to any man (well, anyone at all) who publically admits he's a Steps fan.
  • Options

I've seen Steps several times before, I won't be the only heterosexual chap there.
  • Options

You certainly have a errhhhh shall we say an eclectic taste in music.
  • Options
    c

I've seen Steps several times before, I won't be the only heterosexual chap there.
    Literally dozens? :p
  • Options
    edited May 2017

You and your mate then ;-)
  • Options
    An awesome own goal scored by England this morning in the u20s World Cup.

https://twitter.com/Eurosport_UK/status/866946610764197889
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Cyan said:

jonny83 said:

Why wasn't there better security? And she said nothing about improving security in the future.
    And if she had you'd have accused her of 'rushing to judgement' without 'establishing all the facts'.......

How would you improve security in a public place?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Morrisons are running a collection for the families of victims at supermarket checkouts.

Talk about cashing in. And what mean bastards - couldn't the company itself donate anything?
  • Options
    Cyan said:

IanB2 said:

Talk about cashing in. And what mean bastards - couldn't the company itself donate anything?
    How do you know they aren't?
  • Options

You've never lived until you've seen the Kiss Army in action.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2017
    Is Juncker right when he says the terrorists are trying to destroy our way of life?

Is that their stated objective?

If Isis is trying to establish a state in the Middle East which imposes Islamic law, which are they bombing Manchester?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2017
    Just listened to May's superb speech and thinking back a few weeks to Dacre's "legs it" headline.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/mar/28/daily-mail-legs-it-front-page-sexist

He got that soooo wrong.

He's still pretty good, but making silly mistakes.

TM's like the queen. Don't sexualise her.

Ever.
  • Options

Got any Kiss/Steps mashups? :smiley:
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    edited May 2017

Yorkcity said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

JackW said:

IanB2 said:

Correct.

It is about showing some respect for the victims and their families, before launching back into electoral point scoring. As the parties are all doing today. You are right that in a free country it is not obligatory. But it is desirable.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056

Isn't the new acronym LGBTSE? :)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited May 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Here is Jahadi Jez.

This site has been an absolute mess today. Very odd, given that on previous occasions where tragedies have happened it's been quite different.

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Virtue signallers, the lot of them.

Between 2006 and 2014 I gave 26 pints of blood. I've stopped going because I became fed up with the jobsworths that run the sessions. I'm not in a position to book up in advance as I don't know if I'll be around on the day three months in advance. I don't mind waiting an hour to be done, but the people who run the sessions around where I live are so anal they just tell you to go away.
  • Options
    The thread header mentions postal votes landing this week and I'm sure many will.

However, the date range for receipt of postal vote papers at this election seems to be wider than I can ever remember. Some councils sent them out a week or more ago. In my council, my polling card informs me that my postal vote will not be sent until Tuesday 30th May.

This must make national campaign timetabling something of a nightmare.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, that's rather good.
  • Options

I meant from KISS -> Steps....I can't imagine there is a massive audience cross over.
  • Options
    24 hours is...
  • Options
    RobD said:

Got any Kiss/Steps mashups? :smiley:
    Nope, this is the greatest mash up in history.

The Nine Inch Nails vs Rick Astley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQLeNiNTtbc&list=RDfQLeNiNTtbc

(I also saw NIN back in 2014 at the arena too, on the night of the European Election results, so I've actually written PB threads from inside that arena)
  • Options

Is Juncker right when he says the terrorists are trying to destroy our way of life?

Is that their stated objective?

its difficult to tell - in the IRA days there was a bloke with a beard and film of other (maybe) blokes in balaclavas telling you what they wanted.

This mob of cowards - have no public face .
This discussion has been closed.