Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How actual migration numbers appear to follow concern level

SystemSystem Posts: 11,731
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How actual migration numbers appear to follow concern level in Ipsos-MORI issues index

The link between actual migration flow and concern level In Ipsos-MORI Issues Index
See trend chart pic.twitter.com/QzyEJKVADp

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,283
    edited October 2013
    A case of new threaditis?

Edit: apparently not.
  • Options
    R v Huhne & Pryce was another good example of where orders made under section 4(2) of the Contempt of Court Act 1981 made reporting what was effectively common knowledge punishable by imprisonment for up to two years. That those matters were common knowledge made certain politicians' reactions to the outcome of that case disingenuous at best. There is another case (not the one we can't mention) which is likely to turn into a highly political trial, but the reasons why cannot yet be reported, because of an order under section 4(2). The propriety of such orders is unquestionable in order to preserve defendants' right to a fair trial, but in cases where several months elapse between the making of the order and the trial, they can appear somewhat draconian.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Interesting that inflation/prices comes fifth in the list of concerns, does this suggest that the cost of living thing is a bit overdone as an issue??

I guess for some people that comes under 'economy' anyway.
  • Options
    You can see the impact of the cost of living / energy prices - inflation/prices issue up 8%
  • Options
    Eh, what's going on? Just posted this on the previous thread:

I don't have a strong view either way on whether Scotland should go independent, but it seems to me the argument for 'No' has been much more coherent. Several times (ISTM...) the 'Yes' camp has made claims which have dissolved under just a bit of scrutiny - like the stuff about joining the European Union, what currency an independent Scotland would use, and so on.

I'm certainly not opposed to Scotland becoming independent if that's what they want, but the Yes campaign needs to confront the issues and questions raised by the No-ers, rather than trying to sweep them under the carpet.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    Timing is everything, tim.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    A quick shot across the proverbial SNP bow - then beat a hasty retreat.

OGH is Capt Horatio Hornblower and I claim my ships prize money…!
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Where is Europe on the list?

Is the number of answers people are giving increasing?
  • Options

A quick shot across the proverbial SNP bow - then beat a hasty retreat.

OGH is Capt Horatio Hornblower and I claim my ships prize money…!

Dodgy, old gunpowder and bad aim it would seem.
    Captain Pugwash?
  • Options

Europe is now on 7%, up 2 % from last month. No idea why it should have increased this month as there has not really been much startling about the EU in the news. It is now considered a more important issue than taxation, the environment, privatisation, public services, public transport, lifestyle/morality or devolution/constitutional reform.
  • Options

Interestingly, people in the Midlands give the lowest number of responses to the open-ended question "other important issues facing Britain today", and the highest is in the South-East excluding Greater London.

Similarly, those in private rented accommodation give the least number of responses, while those with mortgages give the most.

The mean number of mentions is marginally higher now, at 3.33, than in May 2010, when it was 3.21. I've no idea how stable this value is from month-to-month, though.
  • Options
    Is the economy becoming less of a worry now that Labour haven't been able to inflict significant damage on it for a few years?
  • Options

Is the economy becoming less of a worry now that Labour haven't been able to inflict significant damage on it for a few years?

Everyone can clearly see from the graph that concern about the economy was lower than it is presently for about eleven years of the thirteen that Labour most recently spent in government.

This isn't a metric which you can use to boast of greater Tory competence on the economy, I am afraid. Try Real Household Disposable Income instead.

• Options
    How much is Ed claiming his preposterous energy price freeze will save?

http://order-order.com/2013/10/31/flints-only-gaffe-today/#comments
  • Options

Everyone can clearly see from the graph that concern about the economy was lower than it is presently for about eleven years of the thirteen that Labour most recently spent in government.

This isn't a metric which you can use to boast of greater Tory competence on the economy, I am afraid. Try Real Household Disposable Income instead.

Really? I would have thought job security would be important (to at least some of the working population)
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    There are times you want to say: "wasn't it stark staring obvious?"

Today is one of those days.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    FPT:
    Ricardhos - you're actually wrong about tim being generally disliked (quite apart from that sort of personal comment being unhelpful and tiresome) - when he was absent for a few days, numerous people said the forum wasn't as good without him. He's the grit in our oyster, as is SeanT, a comparison which probably neither would welcome.

With respect, your own contributions haven't yet attracted great interest, because you usually plough the same furrow: "the Government will win, polls are rubbish, OGH doesn't know what he's talking about". Tell us a bit about yourself or your wider interests?
  • Options

FPT:
    Ricardhos - you're actually wrong about tim being generally disliked (quite apart from that sort of personal comment being unhelpful and tiresome) - when he was absent for a few days, numerous people said the forum wasn't as good without him. He's the grit in our oyster, as is SeanT, a comparison which probably neither would welcome.

With respect, your own contributions haven't yet attracted great interest, because you usually plough the same furrow: "the Government will win, polls are rubbish, OGH doesn't know what he's talking about". Tell us a bit about yourself or your wider interests?

Actually Nick numerous people commented how much nicer the forum was without him. You appear to have a very selective memory.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

FPT:

Actually Nick numerous people commented how much nicer the forum was without him. You appear to have a very selective memory.
    As tim is one of the people who doesn't ask Nick about HS2 I can understand why he wants his 13k posts clogging up the threads.
  • Options

FPT:

He was a Labour MP, what did you expect?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,048
    antifrank said:

Check your inbox for an amusing observation I made about 5 days ago ;)
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,046
    Exciting news!

Well, news, anyway.

Sir Edric's Temple, a middling length comedy, is now up at Smashwords. For the next week or so you can get a two-thirds discount using the code KF49K: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/373077

Of course, if you want me to have more money you don't have to use the code. It's in the pipline at Amazon and should appear there tomorrow.
  • Options

Really? I would have thought job security would be important (to at least some of the working population)
    I do not dispute that.

It's just that the graph shows that concern about the economy was lower during eleven years of the last Labour government than it is at present, so your argument that it is going down because time is passing from the last time that Labour was in government is contradicted by the facts you are trying to use in support of it.

As I said, there are likely to be other statistics/evidence that you can use to make such an argument, but the Ipsos Mori issues index isn't it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Pulpstar said:

antifrank said:

Check your inbox for an amusing observation I made about 5 days ago ;)
    I can't access Telegraph comments at work (which is ordinarily good for my mental equilibrium), so that's a treat awaiting me at home.
  • Options
    Heh, well its not that earth shattering a comment but I can't repeat here for obvious reasons
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536
    When Tim disappeared for a week or so, most of the PB Tories ended up asking where he was, over and over again.
  • Options
    I say, I say, I say – what has the BBC in common with the Catholic church?

http://news.sky.com/story/1162229/former-bbc-presenter-jailed-over-sex-abuse
  • Options

They both appropriate funds with menace to furnish those at the top in style ?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,971
    @Bobajob

"When Tim disappeared for a week or so, most of the PB Tories ended up asking where he was, over and over again."

What's happened to Tim?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

They both appropriate funds with menace to furnish those at the top in style ?
    Given the inquest I attended yesterday was more or less directly related to the Catholic church and sex abuse (in Australia, not the UK), I hope this guy rots in hell.

Some victims manage to get over what happens; others do not. Our friend lived with the pain for thirty years, but in the end it claimed him.

On a bittersweet note, we found it archetypal of him to have planned his death as an engineer, with the details covered, including instructions to the police about what to do ...
  • Options
    If Tim was banned for mentioning a six year liason between Brooks and Coulson then the site is making itself look ridiculous.

It's been on every news outlet in the country after being announced in open court. Whoever thinks they're acting in Mike's best interest really isn't.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, was the culprit caught by police?

I know it won't make up for the loss of your friend, but at least if he's behind bars he won't be able to abuse anyone else.
  • Options
    Sits back with popcorn.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Roger said:

@Bobajob

"When Tim disappeared for a week or so, most of the PB Tories ended up asking where he was, over and over again."

What's happened to Tim?

Apparently he was kidnapped by a neighbouring farmers Cravendale cows. Unfortunately after seven days they let him go because he was boring them to death about how David Cameron was personally responsible for rampant udder rash !!

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    @TwistedFireStopper

That raised a wry smile in my house, too.
  • Options
    R0bertsR0berts Posts: 391
    Do we think the downward trend in The Economy will be good for the Government, because they might get credit for "fixing" it?

Or bad, because it means other issue come more into play, which is certainly not what the Tories want?

Or a bit of both, cancelling out?

Or neither, because opinion is pretty settled?
  • Options
    Roger said:

If Tim was banned for mentioning a six year liason between Brooks and Coulson then the site is making itself look ridiculous.

It's been on every news outlet in the country after being announced in open court. Whoever thinks they're acting in Mike's best interest really isn't.

Roger, unfortunately, you didn't see the comment.

If he had only done that, we would have merely deleted his comments.

Tim has been previously warned for doing what he did again today.

Mike isn't prepared to let his financial wellbeing put at risk just so Tim can make smears and engage in partisan point scoring on topics he knows are off limits.

As the site was and is going to be unmoderated, for parts of today, we decided Tim wouldn't be allowed to abuse his posting privileges for the rest of today.

He is fortunate his posting privileges haven't been suspended until the conclusion of the phone hacking trials.
  • Options
    Bobajob said:

When Tim disappeared for a week or so, most of the PB Tories ended up asking where he was, over and over again.

I think you misunderstood the phrase "Where's Wally"
  • Options
    And look at that jump in Inflation / Prices.

When was the last time an Opposition made the running so comprehensively in the way Miliband has with this Cost of Living thing?

If all that wonky predistribution talk was too complicated for you, or you wanted to know how it might translate to real world, here it is.

Almost makes me wonder if Labour haven't showed their hand too early. Though as others here have said, I'm sure Miliband has other targets he can have a crack at further down the line.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

Any more arrests and we might be spared another run of Top of The Pops repeats from the 70s.
  • Options
    I'm guessing Tim must have said what a lot of us are thinking.

As far as that stuff goes, I'm surprised Ricardhos is still here. All he ever does is pop up and slag off the site's owner.

If it was my site I'd ban him, then when he came whining asking for an explanation, I'd simply say "I banned you because I can. Go away".
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I posted some figures earlier today showing that between 1974 and 1984 the population of the UK grew by an average of 13,000 a year.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    R0berts said:

As far as that stuff goes, I'm surprised Ricardhos is still here. All he ever does is pop up and slag off the site's owner.

If it was my site I'd ban him, then when he came whining asking for an explanation, I'd simply say "I banned you because I can. Go away".

Yes, Phil, of course Phil, how we admire the voice of political authenticity.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

When was the last time an Opposition made the running so comprehensively in the way Miliband has with this Cost of Living thing?

That's fine, and well done Labour for setting the political news agenda for the time being. But let's see what happens when, as the election draws nearer, Labour's proposals come under more rigorous scrutiny.

On the fuel price freeze, for example, I expect more people will wonder whether it will really work (indeed, whether the proposal has already prompted the companies to increase their prices). Generally, there'll be more critical analysis and comment from the media and my own view is that many of Labour's proposals will be shown to be populist / counter-productive / unhelpful.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    R0berts said:

If all that wonky predistribution talk was too complicated for you, or you wanted to know how it might translate to real world, here it is.

Almost makes me wonder if Labour haven't showed their hand too early. Though as others here have said, I'm sure Miliband has other targets he can have a crack at further down the line.

Labour has indeed shown its hand too early. No less an authority than Dan Hodges proclaimed just yesterday that his brilliant performance as Leader of the Opposition is a disaster for Ed Miliband as it implies he'll be a poor Prime Minister.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100243640/ed-miliband-is-a-political-jack-charlton-great-at-stopping-others-playing-but-can-he-play-himself/
  • Options
    JohnO said:

R0berts said:

Yes, Phil, of course Phil, how we admire the voice of political authenticity.
    Erm. Thanks for that, Gary.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    AndyJS said:

I posted some figures earlier today showing that between 1974 and 1984 the population of the UK grew by an average of 13,000 a year.

I also posted the decline of 4-5M in Labour voters between a peak of 13M from1997 to 2010.

So either all these new immigrants a) don't exist, b) don't vote , c) don't vote Labour or d) the number of long term residents deserting Labour is very high indeed.

• Options

Mr. Jessop, was the culprit caught by police?

I know it won't make up for the loss of your friend, but at least if he's behind bars he won't be able to abuse anyone else.

Thanks.

We're not sure: we know Steve was interviewed several times by (I think) Queensland police a few years back, and sadly his mood deteriorated each time. I think I know the case, and if I'm right, then the guy is in jail. There is another possibility which has been in the news recently, and the suspect is claiming he is too ill to attend court. *&^%$(**&&^&

Steve wouldn't talk about what happened during his childhood, and I know very little, despite being friends with him for over 15 years. He told Mrs J a little more, and she's never broached his confidence by telling me. Which is fair enough.

But the worst thing about the mess, the real icing-on-a-shit-sandwich, is that his mother believed, and I think still does believe, the priest over her own child. That awful fact was at the heart of his problems, and his estrangement from most of his family.
  • Options
    Bet365 bonus - cleared !
  • Options
    PBModeratorPBModerator Posts: 661
    edited October 2013
    Please no further discussions on who has/should be banned.

And NO DISCUSSIONS DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY ABOUT PHONE HACKING
  • Options
    Jeez - it aint complicated people.

• Options
    edited October 2013
    Ahem.

• Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    R0berts said:

A government has little power over the cost of living if global prices rise. Taxes can be cut but that is limited if you have to cut the deficit. Sure, everyone wants things to cost less, but Red is being opportunistic and counting on the public's ignorance. IF he gets into government, he will find that the poor are always with us, particularly if it's defined by the relative method where if a few bankers lose their bonuses, many poor come out of poverty! The best way for a better and prosperous country is to create conditions of full employment and the best way to do that is to reduce immigration drastically, including from the EU.

• Options

R0berts said:

Labour has indeed shown its hand too early. No less an authority than Dan Hodges proclaimed just yesterday that his brilliant performance as Leader of the Opposition is a disaster for Ed Miliband as it implies he'll be a poor Prime Minister.
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100243640/ed-miliband-is-a-political-jack-charlton-great-at-stopping-others-playing-but-can-he-play-himself/
    Hahaha! That's majestic!

I can't wait for Hodges article about Ed Miliband on the day Ed Miliband enters No 10.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    TGOHF said:

Ahem.

Some comments do seem to repeat on one at times ....

• Options
    To the BBCs credit, the lead news story is on the PMs comment about the Unite bullying allegations.

Cameron called these 'quite shocking'

I wonder what ed miliband thinks. He is certain to be asked.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    R0berts said:

R0berts said:

Hahaha! That's majestic!

I can't wait for Hodges article about Ed Miliband on the day Ed Miliband enters No 10.
    If you read his article he is clearly self aware, and self deprecating in the way he intrinsically wants to attack Ed.

Humour forgives all...
  • Options
    taffys said:

To the BBCs credit, the lead news story is on the PMs comment about the Unite bullying allegations.

What EdM says and what EdM thinks might be two different things. I would love to know both.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Any more arrests and we might be spared another run of Top of The Pops repeats from the 70s.
    I can't really explain why I bothered doing this, but on reading that article I put the address - "Low Bungay Road" - into Google Streetview, to see where the fat nonce lived.

Bizarrely, Low Bungay Road is a road composed entirely of BungaLows.

Is this some 1970s developer's idea of a joke?
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    perdix said:

R0berts said:

A government has little power over the cost of living if global prices rise. Taxes can be cut but that is limited if you have to cut the deficit. Sure, everyone wants things to cost less, but Red is being opportunistic and counting on the public's ignorance. IF he gets into government, he will find that the poor are always with us, particularly if it's defined by the relative method where if a few bankers lose their bonuses, many poor come out of poverty! The best way for a better and prosperous country is to create conditions of full employment and the best way to do that is to reduce immigration drastically, including from the EU.

Some of the posters on here display the level of sophistication of the child in the old joke. Mummy why doesn't the government make it illegal to be poor.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that sounds terrible :(

• Options
    Unite digging deeper

Arguing that bad employers should have 'nowhere to hide'

Now, as to what constitutes a bad employer, that will presumably be arbitrarily decided by Unite.

And what 'nowhere to hide' means, again, will be a decision best left to chairman len.

Of course its a non-story....
  • Options

Mr. Jessop, that sounds terrible :(

I can't imagine what sort of mother would believe a priest over their own child. And I wonder how she felt, or feels, as these bastards slowly get convicted as the truth emerges., I wonder if she's still in denial, or if she now realises the truth.

No family members were at the inquest. Indeed, aside from the policeman who found him, there were just four people.

The whole thing is just so ineffably tragic.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    taffys said:

Ed is waiting for Len to tell him what he thinks. And then he'll say something.

• Options
    taffys said:

Unite digging deeper

Now, as to what constitutes a bad employer, that will presumably be arbitrarily decided by Unite.

And what 'nowhere to hide' means, again, will be a decision best left to chairman len.

That message needs to go to all school children, don't dare employ anyone. They can decide to send the boys round if you do anything that they don't like.

I wonder what will happen then?
  • Options
    saddened said:

perdix said:

R0berts said:

Some of the posters on here display the level of sophistication of the child in the old joke. Mummy why doesn't the government make it illegal to be poor.
    Quite right. If you think the energy companies and others are taking you for a ride, you are just too stupid to understand.
  • Options

taffys said:

Unite digging deeper

That message needs to go to all school children, don't dare employ anyone. They can decide to send the boys round if you do anything that they don't like.

I wonder what will happen then?
    Not been a good week for Unions has it?

First The Police Federation, now Unite. Whatever next? Maybe their members will call them to to task.

You never know.

• Options
    Indeed, Mr. Jessop :(
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

perdix said:

R0berts said:

Quite right. If you think the energy companies and others are taking you for a ride, you are just too stupid to understand.
    Scary, you really do believe that you can legislate away price increases.
  • Options
    They can decide to send the boys round if you do anything that they don't like.

Indeed, because the torrent of legislation that has been passed in the last 30 years to strengthen rights in the workplace is not nearly enough.

We need thugs to intimidate families.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

perdix said:

R0berts said:

Amongst 'others' you presumably include Ed Miliband and Labour who are trying to shove up your energy bills with Carbon Taxes and Green Levies?

They were at it again on Monday night, 'even though independent research says it would hit the poorest Brits the hardest.'

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/8651771/utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=8651771
  • Options
    taffys said:

Indeed, because the torrent of legislation that has been passed in the last 30 years to strengthen rights in the workplace is not nearly enough.

One wonders where the next generation of employers is coming from. I wouldn't recommend our children to go into a job where you either manage people, or employ them.
  • Options
    saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

perdix said:

R0berts said:

Have Labour promised to stop prices rising for eternity, then?

Blimey, even more reason to vote for them. Not sure they have, though, have they?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    “Greece Ousted from Index of 'Developed' Countries”

Embarrassing, this would never have happened under Turkish rule – But then things have been going downhill since Alexander the Great as MD might say?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424127887323949904578540001461007198
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,252

Eh, what's going on? Just posted this on the previous thread:

I don't have a strong view either way on whether Scotland should go independent, but it seems to me the argument for 'No' has been much more coherent. Several times (ISTM...) the 'Yes' camp has made claims which have dissolved under just a bit of scrutiny - like the stuff about joining the European Union, what currency an independent Scotland would use, and so on.

I'm certainly not opposed to Scotland becoming independent if that's what they want, but the Yes campaign needs to confront the issues and questions raised by the No-ers, rather than trying to sweep them under the carpet.

kevin, You are obviously believing the false data that Yes put out or reading the wrong things. The points you claim have dissolved is bollocks, we are in and will remain in the EU, we will use the pound which is currently our currency and will remain so, and on and on and on.

Do you also believe oil will be worthless, our phone bills will increase , we will be bombed by terrorists , our families will be foreigners , etc etc etc .

• Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited October 2013
    @ROberts

'Almost makes me wonder if Labour haven't showed their hand too early. Though as others here have said, I'm sure Miliband has other targets he can have a crack at further down the line.'

He has,and rolling back the green taxes will give the consumer a much better deal than a 20 months freeze.Although he needs to explain that to Caroline Flint.

Ed needs to confirm he will continue to freeze the council tax ,then water rates,petrol,land line & mobile charges, only supermarkets left after that.
  • Options

taffys said:

One wonders where the next generation of employers is coming from. I wouldn't recommend our children to go into a job where you either manage people, or employ them.
    Aw I know, life is tough for people like that.

Advise your kids to go shovel sh!t on the minimum wage on a zero hour contract instead, it's a much easier life.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

saddened said:

R0berts said:

saddened said:

perdix said:

R0berts said:

Have Labour promised to stop prices rising for eternity, then?

Blimey, even more reason to vote for them. Not sure they have, though, have they?
    You are in for a real disappointment if Ed does become PM. Reality is a harsh mistress.
  • Options
    R0berts said:

taffys said:

Aw I know, life is tough for people like that
    By people like that you mean the ones who risk their all and provide employment to others. Those ones?
  • Options
    R0berts said:

taffys said:

Advise your kids to go shovel sh!t on the minimum wage on a zero hour contract instead, it's a much easier life.
    Zero-hour contracts can be very useful to both employers and employees. Which is why even (shock, horror!) Labour councils use them.

The problem is when they are abused. Sadly, you do not make that distinction.
  • Options
    Mr. StClare, indeed. Fair to say that Alexander the Great's a bit of an unfair point of comparison, though. Can't think of anyone else with a remotely comparable record.

I read a month or two ago that the Greek leader (not sure if it was a PM or president) reckons they'll leave leave recession next year.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    Marquette University Wisconsin 2016

•Hillary Clinton (D) 50.7% (48.5%)
    •Paul Ryan (R) 43.0% (43.5%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 50.0% (46.5%)
    •Chris Christie (R) 40.3% (40.0%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 53.3% (50.2%)
    •Scott Walker (R) 40.6% (41.7%)

•Hillary Clinton (D) 55.3%
    •Ted Cruz (R) 33.4%
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,307
    Harper Polling South Carolina GOP primary 2016

•Chris Christie 19%
    •Ted Cruz 17%
    •Rand Paul 13%
    •Marco Rubio 12%
    •Paul Ryan 12%
    •Bobby Jindal 6%
    •Not sure 21%

South Carolina General Election

•Marco Rubio (R) 47%
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 40%

•Chris Christie (R) 43%
    •Hillary Clinton (D) 38%

•Hillary Clinton (D) 42%
    •Ted Cruz (R) 41%
  • Options

Hahaha! That's majestic!

Can't wait to see your face when he doesn't
  • Options
    Moderator.

Until recently there was a rule here that anything even mildly controversial had to be accompanied by a link to a reputable newspaper.

Why has that been abandoned in favour of a blanket ban on a subject so central to a politics site that you might as well close down and reopen when the story has run its course?
  • Options
    JonnyJimmyJonnyJimmy Posts: 2,548
    I haven't noticed any of the usual suspects complaining about this latest Hodges blog, maybe because he's quite nice to Miliband in it.. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100243898/ed-miliband-is-a-real-baseball-fan-better-than-being-a-fake-football-fan-like-most-politicians/
  • Options
    R0berts said:

If they were going to be intimidated for offering people jobs, then yes, I think it would be a much easier life.

Another option is to emigrate.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Moderator.

Until recently there was a rule here that anything even mildly controversial had to be accompanied by a link to a reputable newspaper.

Why has that been abandoned in favour of a blanket ban on a subject so central to a politics site that you might as well close down and reopen when the story has run its course?

Because morons can't follow simple instructions. Is that clear enough?

• Options
    Unite leverage - looks like intimidation - McCluskey on managers in leafy suburbia - Ed M no comment - BBC looks like class war. Oooppps. Non story.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-24758166
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @JJ

'I haven't noticed any of the usual suspects complaining about this latest Hodges blog, maybe because he's quite nice to Miliband in it."

His articles have become so predictable the usual suspects don't read him anymore. Tories feel the same but he gives them a sense of hope.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @jonnyjimmy Like at the 1978 Cup final, where the then leader of the opposition Margaret Thatcher was asked what she thought of the game. “I thought the No 10 Whymark played exceptionally well,” she replied. Unfortunately, although he’d been listed in the match program, Trevor Whymark didn’t actually play.

Tis such sport to see the engineer hoist by his own petard.
  • Options

I haven't noticed any of the usual suspects complaining about this latest Hodges blog, maybe because he's quite nice to Miliband in it.. http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danhodges/100243898/ed-miliband-is-a-real-baseball-fan-better-than-being-a-fake-football-fan-like-most-politicians/

"The thing that Miliband finally seems to have grasped, and Tory HQ hasn’t, is that we genuinely don’t care about what sports our political leaders follow. It is of no interest to us."

Like when Gordon Brown refused to name his favourite biscuit.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Unite leverage - looks like intimidation - McCluskey on managers in leafy suburbia - Ed M no comment - BBC looks like class war. Oooppps. Non story.

Whether or not it's a story, will it shift a single vote?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

I think legitimate protest ends when it leaves public areas - and starts bagging on your front door.

‘Leverage’ my arse, this is intimidation - pure and simple.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Perhaps it is a non story to some people. Beating someone up for offering you a job?

http://www.manxforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/47199-a-scouser-and-a-gay-man/
  • Options
    Back to the 70s, remember the good old days which McClusky wants - brought in 18 years of Tory government.

Unite ought to recall that.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

It may not. But while it's on going, it prevents Milliband getting his message out on a topic that may change votes. Thanks to the non story, Milliband is relatively muzzled.

• Options

On its own no. If Mili doesn't condemn it, possibly.

This discussion has been closed.