Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cabinet next exit betting – a nice little earner for the bo

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited October 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Cabinet next exit betting – a nice little earner for the bookies

Next cabinet exit betting
The bookies clean up yet again
Here are Ladbrokes prices from June 17th
Michael Moore 25/1 pic.twitter.com/nRpxtqnlBe

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited October 2013
    - "2013 has been a pretty poor year for those who like to bet on politics.The only major UK event was the Eastleigh by-election back in February. There were a couple of light markets linked to the May 2nd locals but that’s about it."
    I made a few quid out of the Aberdeen Donside by-election. Unfortunately, the max amount Hills would let me put on their "SNP Vote Percentage" market was £57.75, but I got a handy wee profit with Under 55.5% @ 4/7.

That was just a silly price and I rushed for my log in details the second I saw it. Frankly, I would have had a couple of thousand quid on it if they'd let me.

The market was only put up just before polling day. The SNP held the seat on a vote percentage of 42%, and were never likely to get near 50% let alone Hills' daft 55.5%.

I hadn't bet on the main Winner market cos none of the prices looked like value. IIRC the SNP price was extremely short.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdeen_Donside_by-election,_2013
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Seems to have been very quiet on here over night. Are people worn out by conference season?
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Brilliant Barwell goes from weeding to whipping within 32 hours :)
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I didn't know Tristram Hunt was also the son of a Lord - golly, what a full house.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100240190/well-done-tristram-hunt-chalk-one-up-for-the-hons/
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    (OT) Is there a way to search for obituaries in the Daily Telegraph archives? I saw the obituary of the scientist Ruth Patrick (1907-2013) and it makes me want to find the obituary of the author and Everglades expert Marjory Stoneman Douglas (1890-1998).
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449331/Ed-bows-union-calls-cull-Blairites-Two-shadow-ministers-dumped-Labour-leaders-Unite-leader-demanded-go.html

Not surprised Twigg has gone in the least, I'd forgotten what his job was.

Has the BBC mentioned anything about Labour,s 'lurch to the left' or does that only happen to R/W parties?
  • Options

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2449331/Ed-bows-union-calls-cull-Blairites-Two-shadow-ministers-dumped-Labour-leaders-Unite-leader-demanded-go.html

Not surprised Twigg has gone in the least, I'd forgotten what his job was.

Has the BBC mentioned anything about Labour,s 'lurch to the left' or does that only happen to R/W parties?

What happened to Jeremy Browne? He's not put a foot wrong and excellent on the telly - and swapped out for Norman Baker? It's bizarre.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited October 2013
    Update: Labour lead at 4 - Latest YouGov/The Sun results 7th October - Con 35%, Lab 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%; APP -19

Labour lead on NHS falls to 9% (from 12%) but rises to 5% (from 3%) on education. All MoE stuff though.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    I bet £20 on him in June solely on the basis of the desire of the LDs to have a woman cabinet member. The most likely candidate then, it seemed, was Jo Swinson and Moore’s job seemed ideal. As it turned out she’ll be on maternity leave in a few months.
    Getting the right result for the wrong reason is a lot better than getting the wrong result for the right reasoning.

This does seem to be a market where the "lay the favourite" rule of thumb applies (or if that's not directly possible, look outside of the three or four favourites).
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Plato said:

I didn't know Tristram Hunt was also the son of a Lord - golly, what a full house.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100240190/well-done-tristram-hunt-chalk-one-up-for-the-hons/

yes but let's get clear he's not a posho, a toff or a fop. No. no. his parents made those decisions and it's not fair to hold someone's background against them and ridicule it and ....
    etc. ad nauseam.
  • Options
    Have you read Rachael Sylvester in the Times today?

OBN for her on EdM's wisdom and blah blah - this made me laugh

"Tristram Hunt, a television historian and MP for Stoke Central, is a moderniser and a smart choice as Shadow Education Secretary. Erudite and entertaining, he will give Michael Gove a run for his money " He'll be murdered by Gove at Education Questions.

Plato said:

yes but let's get clear he's not a posho, a toff or a fop. No. no. his parents made those decisions and it's not fair to hold someone's background against them and ridicule it and ....
    etc. ad nauseam.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.
    It's basic political knowledge (hence the PB Tories aren't there yet) that Labour does not have a problem with public school educated politicians, either internally (Tony Crosland is a good eg) or electorally (Tony Blair is a good eg)

The problem is solely one for the Tories, thats why they haven't won a majority with a public school educated leader for 54 years.

Basic stuff you shouldn't need to be told.

It's basic political knowledge that Labour doesn't have a problem with public school educated politicians if they are Labour MPs.

Anyone else's are fair game for toff and posh demonisation.

Did Tristam lend his top hat to the crew at Crewe ?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.
    It's basic political knowledge (hence the PB Tories aren't there yet) that Labour does not have a problem with public school educated politicians, either internally (Tony Crosland is a good eg) or electorally (Tony Blair is a good eg)

The problem is solely one for the Tories, thats why they haven't won a majority with a public school educated leader for 54 years.

Complete and utter tripe. It's your view nothing more and therefore a good deal less. Ed 's slogan for the next election - "hypocrisy, hypocrisy, hypocrisy" End of.
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

And you know what....that's because they haven't had a public school leader for 54 years! Are you ascribing John Major's defeat in 1997 and thereafter Hague and Howard to the fact they were state educated?

Why not make to-day, 'I'm not going to be a Tuesday plonker'? Can you do that? Just for me?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

That's because the Labour party is a bunch of raving hypocrites. The idea that Tristram Hunt is a good egg and down with the people with his background, yet (say) Gove isn't, is ridiculous.

It's like you think that putting on a red rosette grants someone some omniscient knowledge of the travails of the poor.

Your 'fop' attack was always ludicrous. Now it is even more so.
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

(OT) Is there a way to search for obituaries in the Daily Telegraph archives? I saw the obituary of the scientist Ruth Patrick (1907-2013) and it makes me want to find the obituary of the author and Everglades expert Marjory Stoneman Douglas (1890-1998).

Maybe the Telegraph didn't do an Obit.?

But the Indy and the New York Times did:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/obituary-marjory-stoneman-douglas-1157310.html

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/05/15/us/marjory-douglas-champion-of-everglades-dies-at-108.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @JohnO

'Update: Labour lead at 4 - Latest YouGov/The Sun results 7th October - Con 35%, Lab 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%; APP -19'

Red Ed's post conference surge?.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

And you know what....that's because they haven't had a public school leader for 54 years! Are you ascribing John Major's defeat in 1997 and thereafter Hague and Howard to the fact they were state educated?

Why not make to-day, 'I'm not going to be a Tuesday plonker'? Can you do that? Just for me?
    That's big ask John ! I foresee a day of Hunt, Catbert Osborne, foppy floppy Dave and Ed the magnificent.
  • Options
    tim said:

A good piece here

http://hopisen.com/2013/labour-reshuffle-a-triumph-for/

Recommended reading for those who try to understand the Labour Party through the prism of the oft-posted Dan Hodges column

Do you seriously believe the Hodges retweeters will take any notice of this? Dan's the man. It's a disaster for Ed. His Dad hated Britain. Labour is now grotesquely, nay obscenely, split. It has become the most violently left-wing party in the history of the UK. It wants to slightly extend existing compulsory purchase laws and temporarily instate the kind of energy pricing controls that already exist in 15 EU member states. Does it get more Bolshevik than that?

• Options

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

That's because the Labour party is a bunch of raving hypocrites. The idea that Tristram Hunt is a good egg and down with the people with his background, yet (say) Gove isn't, is ridiculous.

It's like you think that putting on a red rosette grants someone some omniscient knowledge of the travails of the poor.

Labour the party of Quentin and Tristam Julian all we need is a Tarquin for a full house.
  • Options
    There was a very interesting exchange between Hopi and Dan on Twitter last night - well worth having a look at the conversation.

tim said:

A good piece here

Recommended reading for those who try to understand the Labour Party through the prism of the oft-posted Dan Hodges column

Do you seriously believe the Hodges retweeters will take any notice of this? Dan's the man. It's a disaster for Ed. His Dad hated Britain. Labour is now grotesquely, nay obscenely, split. It has become the most violently left-wing party in the history of the UK. It wants to slightly extend existing compulsory purchase laws and temporarily instate the kind of energy pricing controls that already exist in 15 EU member states. Does it get more Bolshevik than that?

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Tristam Hunt seems to be too much of a good egg and a swot to be Labour - is he of drippingly wet left handwringing stock and is still trying to please daddy ?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

Thats because they knew their problem, then forgot it.
    And of course Cameron has gone on to make it worse by surrounding himself with a tiny sliver of soceiety

Tristram Hunt, promoted on ability?
    We shall see

Jeremy Hunt, promoted due to background and despite full evidence of no ability.
    Certainly.
    Ed Miliband, promoted due to background and despite full evidence of no ability.
    Certainly.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    JohnO said:

Update: Labour lead at 4 - Latest YouGov/The Sun results 7th October - Con 35%, Lab 39%, LD 9%, UKIP 10%; APP -19

Labour lead on NHS falls to 9% (from 12%) but rises to 5% (from 3%) on education. All MoE stuff though.

As you'll be aware as PBer of impeccably wide credentials, a Pickle-ite, that a further week or ten days from the conference season should pass before we give undue attention to the polls.

• Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

And of course Cameron has gone on to make it worse by surrounding himself with a tiny sliver of soceiety

We shall see

Jeremy Hunt, promoted due to background and despite full evidence of no ability.
    Certainly.
    I quoted the NHS figures from today's YouGov for my edification and your education. A Labour lead of 9% is utterly dismal (check the figures forMrs T and Major for contrast). Hunt is doing well (as the pbTories predicted he would on his appointment last year) in significantly reducing its salience electorally....and - I didn't expect this - contriving to turn the tables on the hapless Burnham.

You hate it. It gnaws at your being. Good.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

There's a man who doesn't understand electoral politics and why Cameron and co cannot connect with those Thatcher and Major and Heath did.
    Yawn. I believe I understand it quite well, thanks.

Certainly better than someone who thinks that a man crying at a funeral would 'set the media narrative'.
  • Options
    JackW said:

JohnO said:

As you'll be aware as PBer of impeccably wide credentials, a Pickle-ite, that a further week or ten days from the conference season should pass before we give undue attention to the polls.

I had no idea until yesterday that Hilary Benn shadowed Big Eric - and he kept his job. What's the thinking there? Nothing for Stella Creasy which was surprising. Perhaps she's a bit too good - like Jim Murphy...
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

A good piece here

Of course I don't that's why they will continue to get every call wrong
    Do you mean even wronger than a Labour call on the economy ?

Ed and Ed making Osborne look good since 2008.
  • Options
    tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

We shall see

Certainly.

Labour lead amon 2010 LD's

Health +28
    Education +24

Maybe the Messiah Gove should open another Madrassa?
    haven't we established several times over that 2010 LDs were actually Labour sulkers ? The segment of the electorate which was so smart in deploying their tactical votes that they made Dave PM ?

• Options

tim said:

A good piece here

Come on SO, it would have to be more than 'slightly extend existing compulsory purchase laws', for the reasons I've given passim.

As for the energy, again, I've tried to explain the problems to you. Problems caused in a large part whilst Miliband was at DECC, and now worsened by him whilst in opposition. How much investment does your business need, and how important is that investment?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    @tim

Dribbling away intoning the usual cruddy mantras. Boy, you're having a terrible day and it's only 8.10am....

Go away and enjoy a creme egg.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210
    This - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/energy/10362359/Ministers-face-attack-over-growing-blackout-risk.html - is the most important story of today.

As for this claim - "Labour does not have a problem with public school educated politicians, either internally (Tony Crosland is a good eg) or electorally (Tony Blair is a good eg)" - they may have been good for Labour but both politicians were disastrous for the country.
  • Options
    About deputy speaker or something else?

Nadine Dorries MP‏@NadineDorriesMP6m
    John Bercow to make announcement today.

• Options
    Plato said:

JackW said:

JohnO said:

I had no idea until yesterday that Hilary Benn shadowed Big Eric - and he kept his job. What's the thinking there? Nothing for Stella Creasy which was surprising. Perhaps she's a bit too good - like Jim Murphy...
    In fairness everyone is overshadowed by Big Eric.

And what's with Jim Murphy !!

• Options
    tim said:

tim said:

tim said:

A good piece here

Do you seriously believe thet?

Of course I don't that's why they will continue to get every call wrong
    Do you mean even wronger than a Labour call on the economy ?

Ed and Ed making Osborne look good since 2008.
    Osborne?

John H ‏@johnthelutheran 17m
    FFS. In what way is this /not/ going to end badly? #helptobuy pic.twitter.com/41tpuaiRSC
    I know, he's that bad yet still Labour can't field anyone better or worse beat him intellectually. It's like losing 100m to Bernard Manning with a fag and pint in hand.
  • Options
    Rather good

"Liam Byrne, Stephen Twigg and Jim Murphy were moved not because they were hopeless performers, but because they were never really given a chance to perform. What was Labour’s policy on free schools? Twigg spent most of his tenure being tortured by the conflict between his own instincts and what it was that the party leadership thought was right. Byrne was brought in to sound ‘tough’ on welfare, but he looked weak because he was never given full rein. He wasn’t able to respond to big policies like the benefit cap, and so dithered between opposing it, supporting it, and kind-of opposing it.

At least moving them means the party has an opportunity to be honest about what it really thinks, rather than pretending it thinks one thing by appointing Blairites and then not letting them say anything at all." http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/10/labour-lurched-towards-honesty-in-its-reshuffle/
  • Options
    Burnham on 5 live says hes carrying on with his legal action.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

JohnO said:

tim said:

Plato said:

etc. ad nauseam.

We shall see

Certainly.

Labour lead amon 2010 LD's

Health +28
    Education +24

Maybe the Messiah Gove should open another Madrassa?
    haven't we established several times over that 2010 LDs were actually Labour sulkers ? The segment of the electorate which was so smart in deploying their tactical votes that they made Dave PM ?

What I do know is that the PB Tories are desperate to ignore a 12,000 sample marginals poll and concentrate on a focus group of 8 people.

you don't know that at all, you simply want to believe it.
  • Options
    Speaking of Stella - who I used to like but no longer do after seeing her ego in action on Twitter.

"Stella Creasy was expected to be promoted to the Shadow Cabinet. Some of her colleagues will be celebrating the fact she has missed out: a group of seasoned Labour MPs have nicknamed her ‘Stella Greasy’ for her less than subtle promotion efforts; Mr Steerpike is not sure whether that is more or less beastly than ‘St. Ella’, their previous dig at her Goody Two-Shoes image. Disappointing for Creasy; but perhaps missing out on a slot in Ed’s top-team will look like a blessing in disguise, come 2015." http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/steerpike/2013/10/stella-greasy-and-the-enterprising-minister-for-enterprise/
  • Options
    political betting might be quiet in 2013, but it appears tim has gone Mickey D's!

24/7.

All over the place so far this morning however, too many moles to hit on the head with his rubber hammer.

Did OGH post the Sunday Times YG 1-week comparison as we had after the Labour conference?
  • Options
    @Tim

'Simon Nixon ‏@Simon_Nixon 27m
    UK house prices rising fastest for decade and market "gaining momentum" says RICS survey. In other news, help-to-buy 2 starts today..

Such a deeply unpopular policy with thousands of young people.
  • Options
    Tim - talking of polls - When was the Ashcroft poll done compared to, say, today's YouGov?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The man's desperate. With any luck he'll bankrupt himself in the courts. A stupid move on his behalf since he hasn't worked out this will now be played in reverse against his colleagues. If he doesn't like the rough and tumble of politics he shouldn't have been a politician. Weirder is why his boss is letting him do it. Burnham should have been retired yesterday so he could spend more time with his lawyers.
  • Options
    It's been snowing here in Iceland. The first fall of the autumn, I believe. Still dark too at 7.20. I love it!!

Interesting YG with Labour and Tory towards their recent top ends.
  • Options
    tim said:

"MPs criticise George Osborne’s £12bn Help to Buy plan for risking housing bubble and distorting recovery"

"George Osborne’s £12bn scheme to help first-time buyers could backfire by creating a housing bubble and distorting the economic recovery, MPs warned the Chancellor last night.

The Treasury Select Committee raised a serious warning over the Help to Buy initiative, under which the taxpayer will guarantee up to 15 per cent of mortgages on homes worth as much as £600,000. Mr Osborne will launch the scheme with Prime Minister David Cameron by announcing that NatWest and RBS are to start offering Help to Buy mortgages today. They will be followed by Halifax and Bank of Scotland by the end of the week. Under the scheme, buyers will only need a deposit of as little as 5 per cent of a property’s sale price to obtain a mortgage.

The committee said the effect of the initiative, which is due to run for three years, could be to “raise house prices rather than stimulate new supply”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-criticise-george-osbornes-12bn-help-to-buy-plan-for-risking-housing-bubble-and-distorting-recovery-8865130.html

Dear Mr Osborne, I want a pony.

"I shall give £100 to everyone who wants a pony"

"Oooh thank you"

"Mr Osborne, the price of ponies has gone up by £200"

"I never said I would increase the supply of ponies"

Osborne's pony policy = Ed's energy policy.

"Mr Ed everybody wants to use more electricty since it's cheaper"

" I never said I would increase supply of energy "
  • Options
    tim said:

"MPs criticise George Osborne’s £12bn Help to Buy plan for risking housing bubble and distorting recovery"

"George Osborne’s £12bn scheme to help first-time buyers could backfire by creating a housing bubble and distorting the economic recovery, MPs warned the Chancellor last night.

The Treasury Select Committee raised a serious warning over the Help to Buy initiative, under which the taxpayer will guarantee up to 15 per cent of mortgages on homes worth as much as £600,000. Mr Osborne will launch the scheme with Prime Minister David Cameron by announcing that NatWest and RBS are to start offering Help to Buy mortgages today. They will be followed by Halifax and Bank of Scotland by the end of the week. Under the scheme, buyers will only need a deposit of as little as 5 per cent of a property’s sale price to obtain a mortgage.

The committee said the effect of the initiative, which is due to run for three years, could be to “raise house prices rather than stimulate new supply”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/mps-criticise-george-osbornes-12bn-help-to-buy-plan-for-risking-housing-bubble-and-distorting-recovery-8865130.html

Dear Mr Osborne, I want a pony.

"I shall give £100 to everyone who wants a pony"

"Oooh thank you"

"Mr Osborne, the price of ponies has gone up by £200"

"I never said I would increase the supply of ponies"

As usual "tim" talking a load of old pony !!

• Options

TGOHF said:

The man's desperate. With any luck he'll bankrupt himself in the courts. A stupid move on his behalf since he hasn't worked out this will now be played in reverse against his colleagues. If he doesn't like the rough and tumble of politics he shouldn't have been a politician. Weirder is why his boss is letting him do it. Burnham should have been retired yesterday so he could spend more time with his lawyers.
    I understand its Labour's lawyers who are doing this - I assume that Hunt will have the Tory's one behind him. I really think Burnham is being very silly here - its a tweet FGS, he was SoS, there's a load of email floating about and that's before mentioning Stafford et al.

That he's kept his job is amazing - he's got the biggest dartboard in history on his back. I'm delighted.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

tim said:

A good piece here

Thought that this quote from Hopisen's piece spoke volumes about "waffly ambition and vague aspirations.":

"I happen to think that the New Labour position was too soft, too optimistic, too over-confident, and therefore too ambitious and too fragile, and that we should face this head on next time. As a result I’m harder edged, less tolerant of waffly ambition, vague aspirations, optimistic numbers and glorious projections. If we’re going to secure a better Britain, I want to know the fine print and the invoice terms, not hear the sales pitch."

• Options
    Why do politicians do this? I mean really.

Harry Cole @MrHarryCole
    @GlenysKinnock: Commentators are wrong, Jim Murphy's new role leading on development is a promotion not a "downgrade".” Lol
  • Options
    Plato said:

TGOHF said:

I understand its Labour's lawyers who are doing this - I assume that Hunt will have the Tory's one behind him. I really think Burnham is being very silly here - its a tweet FGS, he was SoS, there's a load of email floating about and that's before mentioning Stafford et al.

That he's kept his job is amazing - he's got the biggest dartboard in history on his back. I'm delighted.
    LoL so Ed has upped Burnham's stakes for him - real Political Betting !

Looks like Andy might have some more lessons to learn.
  • Options

tim said:

A good piece here

Come on SO, it would have to be more than 'slightly extend existing compulsory purchase laws', for the reasons I've given passim.

As for the energy, again, I've tried to explain the problems to you. Problems caused in a large part whilst Miliband was at DECC, and now worsened by him whilst in opposition. How much investment does your business need, and how important is that investment?

Your arguments are a lot more sensible than the ones from people declaring Labour has moved to the far left. In practice, I don't think either policy will cause huge problems as companies will still see big upsides to working in a high population, advanced economy and will therefore find ways to cope, but I can certainly see where you are coming from and think you're right to point out the obvious flaws in Ed's proposals. My issue is with the absurdity of claims that Labour has now gone off the scale and back to the 80s.

• Options
    tim said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

UK house prices rising fastest for decade and market "gaining momentum" says RICS survey. In other news, help-to-buy 2 starts today..

Here's the polling, see if you can understand it, it's a little complex

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/07/help-buy-stokes-fears-over-new-housing-bubble/
    One interesting commentary below the figures;

"The average house price currently stands at £170,733, despite the recent rally it is still down significantly from its boom-time peak of £199,612 in August 2007."
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Observer, on holiday or business? Hope you have a nice time either way.
  • Options
  • Options
    Miss Plato, to be fair, at least Newsnight managed to avoid massive inaccuracy *or* a pompous arse verbally abusing a politician on the pretence of interviewing them.
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/10/07/help-buy-stokes-fears-over-new-housing-bubble/

"The average house price currently stands at £170,733, despite the recent rally it is still down significantly from its boom-time peak of £199,612 in August 2007."
    You think the govt should regard crisis prices as a target don't you, with interest rates at record lows and real pay falling.
    Bizarre.
    No - you think putting words in people's mouths is political debating - really bizarre. Oh you forgot about why a marginals poll from August is so much more relevant than today's YouGov.
  • Options
    I thought it was rather funny but it did really make a wider point that they felt they needed to address.

Whatever you think of Newsnight/BBC - they've lost Crick, Mason, Flanders and others in short order. There's something going on post Savile.

Miss Plato, to be fair, at least Newsnight managed to avoid massive inaccuracy *or* a pompous arse verbally abusing a politician on the pretence of interviewing them.

• Options
    tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

You think the govt should regard crisis prices as a target don't you, with interest rates at record lows and real pay falling.
    Bizarre.
    No - you think putting words in people's mouths is political debating - really bizarre. Oh you forgot about why a marginals poll from August is so much more relevant than today's YouGov.

House prices in the UK are 25% higher than in the US.
    Wages are 25% lower.

And yet you seem to be supporting a policy that will deliberately pump them up
    It's that New Labour habit, it's just so hard to kick.
  • Options
    tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

felix said:

tim said:

john_zims said:

@Tim

Bizarre.

House prices in the UK are 25% higher than in the US.
    Wages are 25% lower.

And yet you seem to be supporting a policy that will deliberately pump them up

Let's see shall we. As for US comparisons it's just a tad apples v oranges unless you really want to live in downtown detroit or anchorage or.......
  • Options
    Matt Chorley @MattChorley
    Ha! @markpack doing his best to defend Norman Baker, saying at least he doesn't think there are aliens in the gardens of Buckingham Palace
  • Options
    1/3 of all house purchases are in cash.

Thats GOs fault of course.

• Options

tim said:

A good piece here

Your arguments are a lot more sensible than the ones from people declaring Labour has moved to the far left. In practice, I don't think either policy will cause huge problems as companies will still see big upsides to working in a high population, advanced economy and will therefore find ways to cope, but I can certainly see where you are coming from and think you're right to point out the obvious flaws in Ed's proposals. My issue is with the absurdity of claims that Labour has now gone off the scale and back to the 80s.

Fairy nuff. Whilst I think Labour is undoubtedly moving to the left (in a Brownite sense), it is hardly a big shift so far. You could almost call it a MoE shift. ;-)

The problem is that UK politics has been concentrated on the centre ground for a couple of decades now. Any small shift away from the ground seems large, because the move redefines UK politics. It will be interesting to see if the small shift attracts or repels more voters.

On that point, the Conservative's occasional lurches slightly to the right hardly ended successfully.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I just heard Andy Burnham on 5 Live as well. He was full of righteous indignation at what he called the Tories' (or Hunt's specifically, I can't remember) undermining of the NHS but IIRC didn't say a word about maintaining / raising patient care standards. It was all about defending the NHS as an institution.
  • Options
    tim said:

R4 on Bonkers Baker now

Patrick Wintour ‏@patrickwintour 4m
    Ministerial responsibilities of Norman Baker include forensic science and missing persons. Round peg in round hole.

Matt Chorley ‏@MattChorley
    Ha! @markpack doing his best to defend Norman Baker, saying at least he doesn't think there are aliens in the gardens of Buckingham Palace

I have to agree about the Baker appointment - maybe this is Clegg's way of cozying up to Miliband - peas and pods come to mind.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Noting the comments about few pb opportunities, I have not seen any markets based on the USA's current impasse.

However, for those who follow the oil markets, in the last month Brent Crude has dropped from $115 to about $108 and so a few pence off at the pumps. Recently it has climbed back to around $109. But what is interesting is the inter-day variations.

In the last week (and yesterday for example) once the European markets open, the oil price drops by 50c or more until Wall Street opens and then it regains that loss and may add a bit more. I know some syndicates that have taken an option on the turn (just as price is rising) and sold out again after UK COB. Now they have made a profit of up to 50c per barrel. If your option is around 1m barrels, then as Arthur Daley said, "it 's a nice little earner". Of course there are some expenses and you have to be good for your losses if the market/events go against you.

Have a good day and must get back to work - too many new contracts and not enough good people to do them. If any of you have a PhD in Chemical Engineering and are curious by nature, we can offer you £500-£600 a day for a 6 month contract.
  • Options
    Housebuild starts are rising sharply.

That's all GOs fault of course.
  • Options
    Andy Burnham called Dan Hannan *unpatriotic* for observing the NHS wasn't perfect - I wish Dan would start legal action for defamation just for the fun of it.

TGOHF said:

I just heard Andy Burnham on 5 Live as well. He was full of righteous indignation at what he called the Tories' (or Hunt's specifically, I can't remember) undermining of the NHS but IIRC didn't say a word about maintaining / raising patient care standards. It was all about defending the NHS as an institution.
  • Options
    Mr. Jessop, that highlights a contrasting approach. Any shift to the right is a 'lurch' but I've not heard that term (outside of this site) used to describe the socialist dream of Comrade Miliband.

There was also (in the media generally) a shocking lack of intelligent reporting about why energy prices are so high (ie a crying greenist who deliberately increased prices with a green levy).
  • Options

TGOHF said:

Of course the NHS is the poor little David and the patients are Goliath or something.

Burnham is in the producers pocket on health.
  • Options
    Gary White @prydwen3
    @PlatoSays Norman Baker' s show is really good. But he has to use turntables as he brings most of his music in.

@seahavenFM
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Of course the NHS is the poor little David and the patients are Goliath or something.

Burnham is in the producers pocket on health.
    NHS = producers, patients = predators.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    edited October 2013
    Government approval in the YouGov polls is at highest point since March 2012 (might be just a good sample for the blues)

Edit: having looked at twitter I see Mike tweeted this point earlier
  • Options
    F1: don't forget, kids, the early discussion for Japan is up here:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/japan-early-discussion.html

It'll be interesting to see where Di Resta, Massa, Hulkenberg and one or two others end up. If the latter ends up with no seat because of his height (which will be a bigger problem next year) then that'd be a disgrace, and proof the rules need changing.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

Doesn't that make stoking demand with taxpayer subsides even more stupid?

Totally doolally, and yet Osborne faces no-one on the Labour benches with the intellect to outline an economic alternative.

It's like losing Mastermind to Baldrick.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Government approval in the YouGov polls is at highest point since March 2012 (might be just a good sample for the blues)

Thanks. I was wondering about that when I saw that the figure had dipped below 20%. Doubtless it will be back up tomorrow, but the overall trend over recent months has been steadily and sharply downwards.

Which is what you would expect with a markedly improving economic backdrop and is the mirror image of Labour's equally declining VI lead.
  • Options
    Off-topic:

A step forward for nuclear weapons developmentnuclear fusion research. The National Ignition Facility in the US has apparently managed a sustained net-energy reaction (i.e. they got out more energy than they put in).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24429621

Still a long way to go, and I still can't help but think that laser fusion is a dead-end for production purposes. But they are learning a heck of a lot about materials and properties that will be useful for nuclear weapons developmentfuture fusion plants.
  • Options
    Wrong kind of jobs
    Wrong kind of housebuilding
    Wrong kind of economic activity
    Wrong kind of investment
    Wrong kind of tax revenue
    Wrong kind of growth

Tim are you the poster who hates Britain ?
  • Options
    @Tim

''Simon Nixon ‏@Simon_Nixon 27m
    UK house prices rising fastest for decade and market "gaining momentum" says RICS survey. In other news, help-to-buy 2 starts today.'.

Here's the reality,see if you can understand it,it's a little complex.

'For the United Kingdom as a whole house prices were up 3.3 percent to an average of £245,000.But if London and the South-East are stripped out they barely moved and are only marginally above the last peak reached in 2007.

London & the South East does not comprise the UK,got it yet?
  • Options
    My first few posts have been rather cheerleading for the government and I feel this needs to be balanced a bit.

Help to Buy, then. Are the banks' balance sheets and the nation's finances generally in such a bad state that the government can't let house prices fall (or, more realistically, stagnate so that inflation does the job) back to long-term historical trend income ratios? Britons still spend far too much of our income on housing (rent or mortgage) yet the government seems hell-bent on stopping the free market doing its work and making houses more affordable.

Why do we 'need' all this schemes to stimulate the housing market? Because houses in many parts of this country are stupidly overpriced, that's why. I might move to the north next year; any recommendations as to exactly where?
  • Options
    @tim - Not a lot to be honest. Maybe Uncle Eric will be more involved personally as SofS or Kris Hopkins (another former Leader of Bradford Council like the Big Man himself!) will have the same authority as Mark Prisk (who didn't have much of an impact despite being a Minister of State).

As ever, the judgement will be on results rather than nominal internal pecking orders within Ministries.
  • Options
    Or David Lammy.

tim said:

TGOHF said:

Doesn't that make stoking demand with taxpayer subsides even more stupid?

Totally doolally, and yet Osborne faces no-one on the Labour benches with the intellect to outline an economic alternative.

It's like losing Mastermind to Baldrick.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,313
    edited October 2013

My first few posts have been rather cheerleading for the government and I feel this needs to be balanced a bit.

Help to Buy, then. Are the banks' balance sheets and the nation's finances generally in such a bad state that the government can't let house prices fall (or, more realistically, stagnate so that inflation does the job) back to long-term historical trend income ratios? Britons still spend far too much of our income on housing (rent or mortgage) yet the government seems hell-bent on stopping the free market doing its work and making houses more affordable.

Why do we 'need' all this schemes to stimulate the housing market? Because houses in many parts of this country are stupidly overpriced, that's why. I might move to the north next year; any recommendations as to exactly where?

Welcome (from a relative novice myself)

Housing is a classic "I wouldn't have started from here" issue. It is not the banks' balance sheets so much as the nation's. And their P&L statements.

If they have to write down the value of their property then in many cases their liabilities will be greater than their assets.

That is not a great position to be in either financially or psychologically.

The main problem is, that for many perfectly sensible reasons, no government has been prepared to rebalance the economy away from its reliance on housing as a prime "wealth" driver.

Help to Buy is certainly "out there" as a policy and hence the many caveats, based mainly around BoE oversight, that have been brought in subsequently.

As long as Mark Carney is comfortable with it so am I.
  • Options
    Welsh Conservatives @WelshConserv
    It's #Budget day in the National Assembly. Here's a reminder of what Labour has cut from the #NHS budget since 2010: yourvoiceintheassembly.co.uk/welshnhscuts/
  • Options
    SouthCoastKevinSouthCoastKevin Posts: 158
    edited October 2013
    Cheers, TOPPING. Point taken that, on housing, 'I wouldn't have started from here'. But I'm not sure I share your confidence in Mark Carney. This is just based on my memory of a few headlines, but isn't Canada in the middle of - or coming down from - a definite housing boom?

(Cross-posted with tim)
  • Options

Cheers, TOPPING. Point taken that, on housing, 'I wouldn't have started from here'. But I'm not sure I share your confidence in Mark Carney. This is just based on my memory of a few headlines, but isn't Canada in the middle of - or coming down from - a definite housing boom?

(Cross-posted with tim)

Welcome Mr SouthCoast - I'm nr Eastbourne :^ )
  • Options
    @tim - What is interesting and perhaps significant is that Hopkins joins Brandon Lewis (who I rate highly) as a CLG Minister with long experience in local government as former Council leaders. It's no secret that local-central govt relationship has been strained (and it's not really about the large cuts in funding), so maybe a more emolient, less in-your-face attitude may be forthcoming.

One key test will be how the government responds to the consultation on whether a large chunk of the New Homes Bonus will be top-sliced to fund the LEPs. Councils of all shapes and sizes and political hues are hopping made about that (fast) one.
  • Options
    Wrong sort of pay rises..

David Smith ‏@dsmitheconomics 10m

Is pay starting to turn? Recruitment & Employment Confederation says permanent salary inflation highest since Feb 08: http://www.rec.uk.com/press/news/2413
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

870K we're paying this man!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Wrong sort of pay rises..

David Smith ‏@dsmitheconomics 10m

Is pay starting to turn? Recruitment & Employment Confederation says permanent salary inflation highest since Feb 08: http://www.rec.uk.com/press/news/2413

It's all very amusing - if it wasn't so risible, it'd be worrying. But its just silly - so it isn't. I hope Labour carry on in this vein, its their Plan C.
  • Options
    Wrong sort of widget making

http://www.cityam.com/article/1381192361/manufacturing-boost-growth-third-quarter?utm_source=website&utm_medium=TD_article_grids_homepage&utm_campaign=TD_article_grids_homepage

"MANUFACTURERS are reporting some of the strongest growth on record, according to the most recent quarterly survey by the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC).

Released today, the report shows some of the strongest balances ever seen by the manufacturing sector, beating every quarter since 1989."
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,343
    Millsy said:

Edit: having looked at twitter I see Mike tweeted this point earlier

What's happening is that Tory voters are coming into line, by 83-10. Labour voters are 86-9 against, and more importantly even current LibDems are against 42-38, while 2010 LibDems are 59-24 against. UKIP 75-17 against. So Tory turnout prospects improving, but conundrum of how to recover Lab/Lib voters not addressed.

• Options
    Hilarious protest - firefighters vs police in Brussels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S_PecsEGbsY
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited October 2013
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB
    This YouGov "best party" on specific issues polling would look very different if UKIP had been one of party options

pic.twitter.com/uYC6ge2OIE

Pollsters still hiding the UKIP factor.
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-k6zkSkSqoTI/Tl5ommtTzpI/AAAAAAAAPqM/IHoYn05QT2w/s1600/canada.jpg

Seriously?

"Canada's soaring real estate market: Feel good now, pay later"

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/personal-finance/mortgages/soaring-real-estate-sinking-prospects/article14533765/
    In every public event he's attended since his appointment housing costs has been at the core of subsequent questions: he knows there is a problem. He also knows his actions to address it are being scrutinised. He probably also doesn't want to go down as the BoE governor who c*cked it all up.

I'm cool with that.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Oh Sunil has your drift leftwards included the adoption of the politics of envy?
  • Options
    tim said:

TOPPING said:

Fittingly with a £250k per year housing allowance because house prices are so high.
    You couldn't make it up.

The taxpayer is paying the man who thinks house prices in the UK are just fine a £250,000 per year housing allowance because house prices are so high.

tim surely you're not advocating a clampdown on immigration (of rich foreigners) into London are you?
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746

(Cross-posted with tim)

Canada seems to have put in place mortgage regulation that will make a housing bubble less likely.

"The maximum amortization period was dropped from 30 to 25 years, the maximim refinancing amount was reduced from 85 to 80%, the gross debt service ratio was brought to 39% and total debt service ratio to 44%, and the availability of government-backed mortgage insurance is restricted to homes with a value of $1 million or less."

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/06/21/feds-to-tighten-mortgage-rules

But yes, and no.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/top-business-stories/does-canada-have-a-housing-bubble/article14158818/
  • Options

TOPPING said:

You should have sent in your CV Sunil - pays 40% tax on that mind you so the treasury gets most of it back.

• Options
    With Chukka advising me that Royal Mail is undervalued and a buy - can I sue him/Labour for mis-selling should I end up losing money in the company by investing on the back of his recommendation?
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262
    'Help to Buy' looks like a popular policy.

No wonder tim's so agitated.
This discussion has been closed.