Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump 4% ahead in Ohio. Must be time for the Guardian to re

Comments

• Options
    At least one thing we can be sure of during this Tory conference week, the Labour leader won't be visiting any UK troops overseas to boost morale...

for a host of reasons....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

£ sinking towards $1.275 and the FTSE taking off...

31 year low

So glad we Took Back Control...
    We're asking the wrong question about the pound. What we should be asking is why it was overvalued for so long. British productivity hasn't improved significantly in years, and we've been printing money and shoving it into the system as fast as we can. This should be a recipe for Sterling devaluation on a large scale. What has kept it so high?
    The answer is of course that everywhere else has been taking the same actions to shore up their economies and hence depress their currencies. To go down, something else has to go up.

But the "so high" observation looks a little sick against $1.275 the lowest since the depths of the early 1980s crisis. Eight years ago we reached $2 and back in late June $1.50.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    stodge said:

Presumably the need to bolster sterling will therefore mean not only closing off QE as soon as possible but increasing interest rates as soon as possible as well.

Well back in January that's what Mr Carney said the BoE would do and it turns out he was lying!
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    tlg86 said:

stodge said:

Presumably the need to bolster sterling will therefore mean not only closing off QE as soon as possible but increasing interest rates as soon as possible as well.

Well back in January that's what Mr Carney said the BoE would do and it turns out he was lying!
    No, so far things have played out pretty much as he said. Read what he said, not what self-interested politicians chose to suggest that he said.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    FF43 said:

Morning all. Are people here in favour of Gatwick, Heathrow, or Heathrow Hub, or any combination thereof? I'm liking the cut of Heathrow Hub's gib at the moment (probably meaning they won't get the gig).

Heathrow Hub is the extension of the current north runway? Do that and build runway 3, resulting in four effective runways. Require a plan to reduce overall noise impact from the airport to keep neighbours happy.
    Yes. And it requires a lot less disturbance to communities. You'd think for that reason it would be T May's choice. But it also seems to have quite a good plan for surrounding transport infrastructure too. http://www.heathrowhub.com

Its interesting that there doesn't seem to be much made here of the distinction between the Heathrow and Heathrow Hub proposals.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    edited October 2016
    Dupe
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

I confess to a degree of ignorance on this. If sterling is falling and I accept that's good news for exporters, doesn't that mean we'll be paying more for our oil as it's priced in dollars and therefore isn't this just a precursor to the return of inflation ?

I'd also assumed much of the current FTSE rise is based on companies who trade in dollars anyway and it bears little resemblance (apart from as some macabre virility symbol) to the actual state of the UK economy.

Inflationary pressure remains very low overall.

However, we did establish yesterday that Brexit has pushed up the price of G & T's and holidays in Bangkok.
  • Options

Mr. B2, surely it's a collared dove? :p

Could be a disguise?
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    IanB2 said:

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

We're asking the wrong question about the pound. What we should be asking is why it was overvalued for so long. British productivity hasn't improved significantly in years, and we've been printing money and shoving it into the system as fast as we can. This should be a recipe for Sterling devaluation on a large scale. What has kept it so high?
    The answer is of course that everywhere else has been taking the same actions to shore up their economies and hence depress their currencies. To go down, something else has to go up.

But the "so high" observation looks a little sick against $1.275 the lowest since the depths of the early 1980s crisis. Eight years ago we reached $2 and back in late June $1.50.
    Yes - the so high comment was based on that long term $1.50ish value that we held until summer
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Alistair said:

The turnaround in Colorado polling is astonishing. Vindicates the Dems pulling out resources a while ago. The 'fake' undecided were all clearly Dems waiting for a reason to vote Dem.

Colorado is done. Clinton has also pulled significant resources from Virginia which is no surprise either. She is effectively closing down Trump's path to 270.

Nevada, North Carolina and Florida are trending her way too. Pennsylvania looking increasingly out of reach for Donald.

FOP or bust for Trump .... looking presently like a big bust which he normally loves, but not this one .. :smile:

• Options

FF43 said:

Morning all. Are people here in favour of Gatwick, Heathrow, or Heathrow Hub, or any combination thereof? I'm liking the cut of Heathrow Hub's gib at the moment (probably meaning they won't get the gig).

Heathrow Hub is the extension of the current north runway? Do that and build runway 3, resulting in four effective runways. Require a plan to reduce overall noise impact from the airport to keep neighbours happy.
    Yes. And it requires a lot less disturbance to communities. You'd think for that reason it would be T May's choice. But it also seems to have quite a good plan for surrounding transport infrastructure too. http://www.heathrowhub.com

Its interesting that there doesn't seem to be much made here of the distinction between the Heathrow and Heathrow Hub proposals.
    I still think this had a lot going for it:

http://www.economist.com/news/leaders/21591863-all-plans-expanding-airport-capacity-best-involves-moving-heathrow-westward-go
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,864
    Thank you for the responses everyone. I've never been a fan of QE and the financial methadone it represents has been hugely damaging.

I'd like to see the MPC send a strong signal at its next meeting that QE ends and interest rates move back up at least 0.25 if not a full 0.5%. We need to get back to a more normal and traditional monetary policy where interest rates are part of that policy.

I well remember $2.05 to the £ when I was in Vegas in 2007 and it was a grand time but whether we'll see that anytime soon seems debatable. As some on here have said, there are some hard questions facing the British economy in the next few years and the journey to the global trading utopia some on here seem to think will begin the instant we leave the EU may not be as smooth as imagined.

I thought Hammond's speech was vague and clearly he was positioning himself as a counterweight (so to speak) to Curly, Mo and Larry in terms of trying to reassure the financial markets. I suspect the Autumn Statement will be a much more interesting occasion in terms of trying to read the runes of the Government's approach once A50 is triggered.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    JackW said:

Pennsylvania - Franklin and Marshall

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/10/03/clinton-gains-in-new-fm-pennsylvania-poll/

Very hard to not want to cash out my Trump position given polls like this.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,317
    TonyE said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Anyway if Global Britain is the theme of the Tory Conference then they really need to get on with it. We either intend to be open for business or we don't.

Quite an interesting piece on Bloomberg about this: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-04/u-k-brexit-ministers-see-global-britain-as-tactic-not-slogan

From the article: "The politicians are adamant that their meetings with the international community in the wake of the referendum suggest no adverse post-Brexit impact on the attitudes of global investors or multinational companies."

Reports of those meetings go like this: Ministers ask business people what they want from Brexit. Answer, the Single Market. Answer ignored then Minister lectures business people on the great opportunities of Brexit. Business people are slightly irritated at having to repeat the performance at several ministries because officials are not talking to each other.
    Having the single market via EEA (EFTA) is fine in the short term. But the problem with the EEA is that there is a lot of non trade based legislation tacked to it (check the Annexes), because Norway encouraged that so that the rather Europhile political class could eventually take them into the EU.

Their voters however, have other ideas, and would like to see a loosening of the ties further (from what I understand of it). But rather like the UK for generations, they simply have a political class which give them no alternative to vote for.
    As was agreed on here pre-Ref, EEA/EFTA was not a serious runner for an economy the size of the UK's.

On the other side of the coin, EEA/EFTA = ECJ so that won't be happening either. (ECJ on Single Market, EFTA court on EFTA obvs).
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016

JackW said:

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/10/03/clinton-gains-in-new-fm-pennsylvania-poll/

Your best hope is Trump does better in the second debate and gets given a win by a sympathetic media.
  • Options
    One thing that's clear about the Brexit vote. It's united the Conservative Party in a way that hasn't been possible in thirty years.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    To be fair to the Guardian, it must come as a surprise when the huddled masses refuse to take the advice of their betters. When you are a cut above the ignorant and ill-formed, it is a noble sacrifice to give them your sage advice.

The same happened with the referendum. Pearls before swine.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One thing that's clear about the Brexit vote. It's united the Conservative Party in a way that hasn't been possible in thirty years.

Imagine the alternate reality where Remain won 52/48
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,946
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

I confess to a degree of ignorance on this. If sterling is falling and I accept that's good news for exporters, doesn't that mean we'll be paying more for our oil as it's priced in dollars and therefore isn't this just a precursor to the return of inflation ?

I'd also assumed much of the current FTSE rise is based on companies who trade in dollars anyway and it bears little resemblance (apart from as some macabre virility symbol) to the actual state of the UK economy.

It is entirely possible that we never see high inflation or interest rates again.

The world is awash with dosh, and not exactly floating in safe assets - this is the new normal.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Surely the Guardian just has to come out for Trump in Cook county.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

Me too, sovereignty is more important than an extra latte a week.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

I was warning about that before the vote.

It is why most Tory activists were Leavers - they could just imagine the carnage if it was close the other way. The party would have split.
  • Options

JackW said:

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38

Clearly with two debates, the usual "October Surprise" and five weeks of campaigning there are opportunities for Trump. However they are also opportunities for Donald's position to worsen. It's Clinton's to lose.

New Nevada poll - Clinton +3 Hart Research. Awaiting link.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,043
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Two new runways at LHR, one new runway at LGW, with an airside Hyperloop running between them.
    You're just baiting me, aren't you?

Okay, I've bitten.

Hyperloop: LOL!
    :D

You engineering types should be all for advancing technology!
    Scientists are all for advancing technology.

Engineers love advancing technology, but are all too aware that they're the ones who need to deliver it. :)

I have grave doubts about Hyperloop, especially on Earth. Safety alone is a big issue that no enough attention has been paid to. The Germans proclaimed collisions impossible on their Maglev system, at least before 23 people died in a collision. The energies in a Hyperloop 'train' will be massive, and will need to be safely tamed and dissipated in all sorts of scenarios.

Hyperloop is worth investigating, but some of the fiscal and practical issues means it will probably end up like Maglev or hovercraft: a costly, niche transport system.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    JackW said:

Alistair said:

The turnaround in Colorado polling is astonishing. Vindicates the Dems pulling out resources a while ago. The 'fake' undecided were all clearly Dems waiting for a reason to vote Dem.

Colorado is done. Clinton has also pulled significant resources from Virginia which is no surprise either. She is effectively closing down Trump's path to 270.

Nevada, North Carolina and Florida are trending her way too. Pennsylvania looking increasingly out of reach for Donald.

FOP or bust for Trump .... looking presently like a big bust which he normally loves, but not this one .. :smile:

Will he quit in a fit of pique once he realises he's going to lose?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Inflationary pressure remains very low overall.

However, we did establish yesterday that Brexit has pushed up the price of G & T's and holidays in Bangkok.

As gentlemen of a certain maturity, nay vintage, you and I will remember the inflation of the 70s and even the double whammy of high inflation and high interest rates in 1989-92.

An entire generation has grown up not having experienced either and as with those market traders who had only known a bull market through the 2000s, when the Crash came, they were running round like headless chickens.

Fortunately, new buyers have had to live with an artificial floor on interest rates but those of us with trackers have seen our mortgage interest rates fall to 0.49% if not lower. In the same way, the incentive to save has never been there. An entire post-Crash economic culture has developed oblivious of the world before 2008.

To muse further on "inflationary pressures", traditional British "booms" were always wrecked by capacity issues. The south east would hit full employment and competition for staff would drive up wages, then costs and send inflation into the system bringing the economy to a shuddering halt.

The influx of cheap labour from the EU has changed that equation but if the post-EU settlement contains a commitment to return immigration control to the UK Government, it will be under pressure to turn off that labour tap so the dilemma will be between the political benefits of reducing immigration and the inflationary and economic disadvantages of that policy.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

Brexit delivers no sovereignty, just paperwork for lawyers. All the global economic forces still apply.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

For now. Let's see how things develop. I get the feeling a few folk are keeping their heads down for now.

• Options

FF43 said:

Have you read the Airports Commission final report, which goes thoroughly into the advantages and disadvantages of both Heathrow expansion and Heathrow Hub?

Conclusions in section 13.8 onwards.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/airports-commission-final-report
  • Options
    Good to see we won't be deporting doctors until 2025.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

Brexit delivers no sovereignty, just paperwork for lawyers. All the global economic forces still apply.
    It stops our politicians sneaking laws in through the back door. That in itself is a massive improvement.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

I could imagine few positions worse than being Conservative Leader in that scenario.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

For now. Let's see how things develop. I get the feeling a few folk are keeping their heads down for now.

My impression is that there are few Conservatives who are truly gutted by the result. Most who voted Remain saw the EU as at best, the lesser of two evils, rather than something they were committed to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

I could imagine few positions worse than being Conservative Leader in that scenario.
    An unassailable, undefeated PM?
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

My impression is that there are few Conservatives who are truly gutted by the result. Most who voted Remain saw the EU as at best, the lesser of two evils, rather than something they were committed to.
    Brexit is fine. It's the path taken from now on that will cause the problems.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

It stops our politicians sneaking laws in through the back door. That in itself is a massive improvement.

No

Apparently most of the Brexit legislation will be by statutory instrument
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

On the plus side you wouldn't be Con leader for long!
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The result is done and dusted. Brexit itself now has to be sorted. The potential for major disagreement is huge.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Cameron would have been forced out almost as quickly as he resigned in the real timeline.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Indeed. Clarke and Soubry are not representative of Conservatives generally.
  • Options

Liam Fox is safe till then .... :smile:
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,344
    MaxPB said:

stodge said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

Yes to pretty much all. However, with oil prices relatively low the absolute loss of weak Sterling is quite manageable. Chances are the inflation will be managed by passing it on through real terms wage cuts (especially at the top where there is a lot of fat to trim) and a bit of margin loss.
    Bloomberg has published a graph showing that FTSE prices in $ terms have been broadly stable, with the rise mirroring the fall in the £. It's possible to argue that, though, that this is quite good news for companies - no big sell-off related to uncertainty.

Uncertainty will mainly hit private investment - Nissan's CEO saying that investment decisions will await clarity seems pretty much a no-brainer. So I'd think that, other things being equal, companies selling investment goods (including things like new computers) in B2B trade would be a sell, unless there are real reasons to expect them to be able to expand overseas instead. Consumer-facing companies should be OK for a while. Obviously higher import prices mean real wage cuts, though people may not link cause and effect and simply grumble that the supermarkets are ripping them off.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Cameron would have been forced out almost as quickly as he resigned in the real timeline.
    Assuming the letters had to go by post it would have been a whole 24 hours longer.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

No
    Yes. At the moment a politician who wants to pass a law which he can't get past the Commons can introduce it through the EU back door. After we Leave, he won't be able to.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Maybe, but he would have quit having anchored the UK in the EU and defeated the bastards who had made the Tories unelectable.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

My equities doing very well, though I do think that some retracing will occur as nothing has actually happened.

Brexit economics is quite good for us that own assets.
    And for those of us that earn euros and spend pounds!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639
    Alistair said:

JackW said:

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38

Your best hope is Trump does better in the second debate and gets given a win by a sympathetic media.
    I think Trump is done.
    Having spent the last few months accusing Clinton of his own worst faults, the news cycle is beginning to get ahead of him rather than being set by him. The foundation thing might be what finally finishes him.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,639

Scott_P said:

No
    Yes. At the moment a politician who wants to pass a law which he can't get past the Commons can introduce it through the EU back door. After we Leave, he won't be able to.
    There are plenty of other means.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

A PM who was at odds with most Conservative voters, many of whom would shift over to UKIP.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Alistair said:

Sean_F said:

Maybe, but he would have quit having anchored the UK in the EU and defeated the bastards who had made the Tories unelectable.
    Temporarily. A narrow victory in a rigged referendum wouldn't have been accepted. The nature of the rigging is easily forgotten now, but only because it failed.
  • Options
    Speaking of media political stunts..

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/783193789158481920
  • Options
    Had REMAIN won, the Conservatives would have united behind the victorious Cameron and Osborne. Cameron would likely have re-shuffled elements of the Government after his victory and then gone on a tour of European capitals and then off to Washington to thank everyone for their help and support.

To give them their due, the Conservatives are generally pragmatic about referenda results. After votes to set up the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and the London Mayoralty, all of which the Conservatives opposed, there has been no commitment to reverse these referenda results.

Though I'm no Conservative, it's an attitude that does the Party credit and something other parties would do well to copy.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Liam Fox is safe till then .... :smile:

It does look as if Fox is an integral and important part of May's cabinet. That's how bad it is. God help us all!

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. Stodge, I'm not so sure that's true. There are some, shall we say, unrestrained persons amongst the PCP. Cameron's campaigning approach didn't endear him to his own side, and his days were already numbered.

Mr. Divvie, a political stunt indeed.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Had REMAIN won, the Conservatives would have united behind the victorious Cameron and Osborne. Cameron would likely have re-shuffled elements of the Government after his victory and then gone on a tour of European capitals and then off to Washington to thank everyone for their help and support.

To give them their due, the Conservatives are generally pragmatic about referenda results. After votes to set up the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and the London Mayoralty, all of which the Conservatives opposed, there has been no commitment to reverse these referenda results.

Though I'm no Conservative, it's an attitude that does the Party credit and something other parties would do well to copy.

I think Conservative voters in Eastern England would have been much less forgiving.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Had REMAIN won, the Conservatives would have united behind the victorious Cameron and Osborne.

No chance.

If they'd won the right way, then yes. But after the way they conducted the campaign? Nah.

• Options
    stodge said:

After votes to set up the Scottish Parliament, the Welsh Assembly and the London Mayoralty, all of which the Conservatives opposed, there has been no commitment to reverse these referenda results.

Let's be honest, devolution has worked out quite nicely for the Tories.
  • Options

He can get past the Commons with a statutory instrument. Which will be most of the new laws.

Apart from that, great point...
  • Options

stodge said:

Had REMAIN won, the Conservatives would have united behind the victorious Cameron and Osborne.

No chance.

If they'd won the right way, then yes. But after the way they conducted the campaign? Nah.

Yet Leave's campaign, which was equally risible, has received little panning from Conservatives since the result.

This thread just shows that hardcore Conservative leavers - the bedfellows of the bastards - care less for democracy than they pretend.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

He can get past the Commons with a statutory instrument. Which will be most of the new laws.

And it will be a Commons in which the executive is much more powerful than it is now anyway, thanks to the reduction in the number of MPs.

• Options

And it will be a Commons in which the executive is much more powerful than it is now anyway, thanks to the reduction in the number of MPs.

And it starts with Article 50.

As Dominic Grieve writes in The Times today, if the argument for Brexit is restoration of Parliamentary Sovereignty, why would you deny Parliament a vote on it?
  • Options

Scott_P said:

I think someone said on here that a reduction in MPs should also come with a reduction in cabinet and junior minister positions.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Scott_P said:

No

Apparently most of the Brexit legislation will be by statutory instrument
    You are aware that any Statutory Instrument can be annulled by a simple resolution in either house ?
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,721

stodge said:

No chance.

THE big lie of the referendum campaign was £350million/week to the NHS. The 2nd one was Turkey.
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

Yet Leave's campaign, which was equally risible, has received little panning from Conservatives since the result.

This thread just shows that hardcore Conservative leavers - the bedfellows of the bastards - care less for democracy than they pretend.
    Indeed. I'm currently re-reading Edward Pearce's account of the passage of the1832 Reform Act and the speeches against it remind me forcibly of all these Tory Peebies...

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,395
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

There are a few unhappy Cameroons on the backbenches: Nicky Morgan, Anna Soubry, George Osborne and Nick Herbert. But, interestingly, not Michael Gove.

Whether they have the courage and discipline to act as a disruptive blocking minority, as the BOO'ers did, is quite another matter.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Most new laws in future for the rest of time will be SIs? Well, that may be true. But since SIs need to fall within a specific Act.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

stodge said:

No chance.

THE big lie of the referendum campaign was £350million/week to the NHS. The 2nd one was Turkey.
    Sign.. I guess it's that time of day again. Alternatively there was

£4300
    Financial Armageddon
    The punishment budget
    Conflict in Western Europe
    and the End of Western Civilisation
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

The Leave campaign didn't flout the spending limits, for a start.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

As Dominic Grieve writes in The Times today, if the argument for Brexit is restoration of Parliamentary Sovereignty, why would you deny Parliament a vote on it?
    Parliament has had a vote on it...
  • Options

Most new laws in future for the rest of time will be SIs? Well, that may be true. But since SIs need to fall within a specific Act.

The "great repeal" act. Once that is passed, all the "unimportant details" can be sorted out by the back door...
  • Options
    edited October 2016

Scott_P said:

And need to be laid before both Houses, where they can be annulled by simple resolution (Statutory Instruments Act 1946, S5(1)), its complete scaremongering bollocks from Scott & Paste (again).
    Scott_P said:

The "great repeal" act. Once that is passed, all the "unimportant details" can be sorted out by the back door...
    So in your world the "backdoor" is where the results are published and can be voted on by Parliament.. its a view I suppose.
  • Options

So now you DON'T want Parliament to vote on things.

Make your bloody mind up...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Parliament could have voted against staging a referendum. Once Parliament voted in favour, they were deferring the decision to the voters as a whole.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Scott_P said:

Because what is sovereign is not parliament, it is the Queen in Parliament, and things which are subject to the Royal Prerogative are subject to the Royal Prerogative. Grieve's argument is no stronger than saying: if a referendum was such a great way of deciding the brexit issue why would you deny people a referendum on the date to trigger article 50?:
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:

Parliament could have voted against staging a referendum. Once Parliament voted in favour, they were deferring the decision to the voters as a whole.
    Not only that Parliament could have amended that act to include the requirement for A50 to need to be voted on by parliament had it so wished.... it didnt.

Some truly epic flailing by ScottP today.
  • Options
    Brexit recap this morning

We no longer want Parliament to be bypassed.

Ok, let's have a Parliamentary vote on Article 50.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr P,

I see you haven't yet reached the final stage of acceptance of the referendum result. You're not alone but don't worry, it will happen.

In the meantime, you and any other Remainers who feel strongly could take a leaf out the Guardian's book and write to all seventeen million Leavers pointing out their stupidity.

I'm sure that will bring them to their senses immediately.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

stodge said:

No chance.

How can Turkey be a lie when it is, and has been, UK government policy to support Turkey joining (at the request of the US)?
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

So lies are fine, as long as you win? Remainers have just as much reason to feel aggrieved about the way the leave campaigns were conducted as leavers have about remain's. Yet they have mostly shut up.

Do you think leave's means justify the end?
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

So lies are fine, as long as you win? Remainers have just as much reason to feel aggrieved about the way the leave campaigns were conducted as leavers have about remain's. Yet they have mostly shut up.

Mostly shut up ?!

Half the posts on this forums are Scott's crying about the referendum, and before his misfortune Mr Meeks was close in there as well.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Parliament voted to let the people decide. The people decided. If parliament gets another vote that comes across as a giant 'fuck you' to the people. If parliament didn't want to let the people decide it shouldn't have passed the referendum act. What parliament should get to debate is the terms of Brexit not the fact of it - but again, only as a mood music / feed into the real negotiations. Parliament is no place to conduct negotiation.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    stodge said:

I don't think it would have been as smooth as that. Leaving the EU was a deep and burning desire for around a third of MPs, trumping anything else. A further third are naturally Eurosceptic but not bothered enough to do anything about it, at least not risk their career prospects by opposing the leadership. A sixth are Cameroons who back the EU but are still patriots and wouldn't have us sign up to the superstate or any kind of EU based military. The final sixth are the Soubrys and Clarks of rhe party, at least Ken had economic nouse, I don't see what Soubry brings to the party.

Reconciliation between the ultras and federalists is not going to be possible, but the federalists are a much smaller group and easier to ignore. If the federalists had won I don't see any position which would have brought the ultras back in from thr cold, especially after such a bruising campaign. A full third of the party, including a few big beasts, would have been in open revolt every single time an edict came down from the EU or ECJ that was disagreeable to the UK.

There was no party unity in remaining, not in the long term. In the short term everyone would have played happy families to beat Labour, but I don't think it would have lasted beyond 2020.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Ah, so you're talking about something different to what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr P,

I see you haven't yet reached the final stage of acceptance of the referendum result.

On the contrary, I appear to be the only one here this morning fully embracing the Brexiteers' cry that Parliament be allowed a say in all things*.

*Does not include Article 50, or anything else the Brexiteers think might be problematic
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

I do want Parliament to vote on things. Parliament has voted on this.
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accession_of_Turkey_to_the_European_Union

Turkey will end up in the EU if the EU lasts long enough. Erdogan was told his application would fail if he reintroduced the death penalty, implying that it wouldn't if he didn't. 350m was in the right order of magnitude, and 250m a week still looks quite a large sum of money.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Scott_P said:

Parliament voted to let the people decide. The people decided. If parliament gets another vote that comes across as a giant 'fuck you' to the people. If parliament didn't want to let the people decide it shouldn't have passed the referendum act. What parliament should get to debate is the terms of Brexit not the fact of it - but again, only as a mood music / feed into the real negotiations. Parliament is no place to conduct negotiation.
    Some people here seem to fail to understand the difference between the Legislature and the Executive. The first (Parliament) passes laws, the second (Government) executes those laws. Parliament passed a law, the government is now carrying out that law, if parliament wanted the government to do something different, it should have passed a different law, its not really all the complicated.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Scott_P said:

I think someone said on here that a reduction in MPs should also come with a reduction in cabinet and junior minister positions.

It won't though, will it?

IN fact, now that we are leaving Europe an entire level of legislative power will be removed from the UK's decision-making process. With our population rising as well, the rationale for a reduction in the number of MPs may be much less compelling than it was. We need a strong legislative branch even more than we did before.

• Options

You said ministers could no longer bypass Parliament to introduce new legislation. You were wrong. Apart from that...
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

Lies during a campaign are inevitable and both sides were at it.

Flouting the campaign spending limits to rig the result aren't, and only one side was at it.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Mr. P, I wonder if Faisal Islam is as keen to point out the things the 'forecasts' got wrong.

Still waiting for that interest rate rise. Be glad to get an increase, rather than cut, in my savings account.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

stodge said:

No chance.

Mostly shut up ?!

Half the posts on this forums are Scott's crying about the referendum, and before his misfortune Mr Meeks was close in there as well.
    Scott is not a Tory MP. And I think your posts probably equal his in both vehemence and attitude.
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

The Conservative Party will always rally behind a winner irrespective of doubts or misgivings. In the same way, they will be ruthless against a loser, Margaret Thatcher, who had won three elections for the party, was unceremoniously ousted when it became clear she was an electoral liability.

John Major won an election but the party turned on him too as they did IDS.

Cameron won in 2015 and was lauded for that - had he won the Referendum as well, would the Party have seriously turned on him, No. With Corbyn opposite, Cameron would have been as impregnable as May is currently.
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

How can Turkey be a lie when it is, and has been, UK government policy to support Turkey joining (at the request of the US)?
    The voters were meant to deduce (and it is an open secret) that the government was lying about supporting Turkish membership.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

You said ministers could no longer bypass Parliament to introduce new legislation. You were wrong. Apart from that...
    The "Great Repeal Act" is about existing legislation.
  • Options

stodge said:

No chance.

Lies during a campaign are inevitable and both sides were at it.

Flouting the campaign spending limits to rig the result aren't, and only one side was at it.
    So lies are okay in your eyes. Cool. The means justify the end.

At least we know where we stand.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

CD13 said:

Mr P,

I see you haven't yet reached the final stage of acceptance of the referendum result.

On the contrary, I appear to be the only one here this morning fully embracing the Brexiteers' cry that Parliament be allowed a say in all things*.

*Does not include Article 50, or anything else the Brexiteers think might be problematic
    That is because you do not understand your own country's constitution. The Queen in Parliament is sovereign, not parliament itself.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Could you enlighten us as to how ? Since SIs can be voted down in parliament...
This discussion has been closed.