Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump 4% ahead in Ohio. Must be time for the Guardian to re

SystemSystem Posts: 11,709
edited October 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Trump 4% ahead in Ohio. Must be time for the Guardian to repeat its Ohio don’t vote for the Republican stunt

The above sets out what turned out to be a misguided attempt by the Guardian ahead of the 2004 Bush Kerry fight to involve its UK readers more closely in the contest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,512
    edited October 2016
    Farron 2020
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    That second one is quite amusing now that we've reclaimed our sovereignty!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Only Bronze medal
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited October 2016
    That third one is me!

Extra bit : Damn!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,416
    Not one of the Guardian's better ideas and that is saying something. But with Clinton increasingly ahead in Florida, Pennsylvania, Colorado and now even North Carolina Ohio is not looking as critical this time out as it has been in the past.
  • Options
    If Obama is allowed to meddle in our affairs, why shouldn't the same courtesy be extended to Grauniad readers?
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Well not quite yet. When and if May starts her promise to trigger Article 50 in the spring, then we will be on the way to full sovereignty, but we ain't there yet.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021
    edited October 2016

Though obviously we need to redirect the money saved on the EU budget to dental care.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    In other news, Michael Gove has been formally blackballed from the metropolitan elite:

https://twitter.com/michaelgove/status/783049181011279872
  • Options
    MikeK .... did you receive my email as regards claiming your £100 Wm. Hill competition prize?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,600
    edited October 2016
    Morning all. Are people here in favour of Gatwick, Heathrow, or Heathrow Hub, or any combination thereof? I'm liking the cut of Heathrow Hub's gib at the moment (probably meaning they won't get the gig).
  • Options

In other news, Michael Gove has been formally blackballed from the metropolitan elite:

Dear oh dear. What am I missing in finding that program not only unfunny but unwatchable?
  • Options

Morning all. Are people here in favour of Gatwick, Heathrow, or Heathrow Hub, or any combination thereof? I'm liking the cut of Heathrow Hub's gib at the moment (probably meaning they won't get the gig).

Do Heathrow but shift the runways west over the M25, so that planes are higher in the air over west London hence quieter.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Not one of the Guardian's better ideas and that is saying something. But with Clinton increasingly ahead in Florida, Pennsylvania, Colorado and now even North Carolina Ohio is not looking as critical this time out as it has been in the past.

Guardian readers this time need to contact residents en masse in Florida. Just tell them to vote Trump.
  • Options

Certainly the sheer intensity of Heathrow's PR campaign both here on PB.com and elsewhere on the internet, suggests they are seriously worried about the outcome and probably also by Mrs May's delay in announcing a decision ..... many believed that a change of PM would finally bring this long running saga to a conclusion.
  • Options

Personally I would go for both Heathrow and Gatwick otherwise we will have to start the debate about the shortage of runways in the south of England all over again before the first sod of earth at Heathrow is even turned over. I like the idea of a fast rail link between the airports too.
  • Options

Two new runways at LHR, one new runway at LGW, with an airside Hyperloop running between them.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,162
    The Guardian is quite sniffy about being regarded as a UK paper in the US so won't enjoy being reminded of this.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    No antisemitism here, there's a report and everything.

Momentum have sacked Jackie Walker as vice chair but not suspended her - and are urging Labour to reinstate her.

http://order-order.com/2016/10/04/momentum-not-suspending-jackie-walker/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    Does anyone have the declaration times for the various states this time round ?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Sandpit said:

Two new runways at LHR, one new runway at LGW, with an airside Hyperloop running between them.
    I like that idea!
  • Options
    I thought it was Clark County, not Cook County?

But yeah, the Guardian campaign was a thing of hilarious beauty.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,113

Certainly the sheer intensity of Heathrow's PR campaign both here on PB.com and elsewhere on the internet, suggests they are seriously worried about the outcome and probably also by Mrs May's delay in announcing a decision ..... many believed that a change of PM would finally bring this long running saga to a conclusion.
    You make a good point about the PR campaign: both Gatwick and Heathrow have had strong campaigns, and it is hard to tell fact from spin.

If you believe that the hub-and-spoke model remains the future, then it is hard to see past the Airports Commission' final report. If you think the world will move over to point-to-point, then Gatwick and possibly Stansted should be upgraded.

That is the real core question: point-to-point or hub-and-spoke?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

You're just baiting me, aren't you?

Okay, I've bitten.

Hyperloop: LOL!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Do Heathrow but shift the runways west over the M25, so that planes are higher in the air over west London hence quieter.
    As a SW London resident and someone who is often directly below the Heathrow flight path, I have to say that the noise nuisance has decreased very considerably over even the past five years and immeasurably since the dreadful Concorde days. Sadly however, the air pollution problems are as bad as ever.
  • Options

Like he actually watches it!
  • Options

You make a good point about the PR campaign: both Gatwick and Heathrow have had strong campaigns, and it is hard to tell fact from spin.

If you believe that the hub-and-spoke model remains the future, then it is hard to see past the Airports Commission' final report. If you think the world will move over to point-to-point, then Gatwick and possibly Stansted should be upgraded.

That is the real core question: point-to-point or hub-and-spoke?
    The only winner I've noticed is the New Statesman! Well, if they want to subsidise my subscription...
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK .... did you receive my email as regards claiming your £100 Wm. Hill competition prize?

Yes, but I've come down with a bout of Pneumonia and haven't yet contacted Mike Smithson.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Personally I would go for both Heathrow and Gatwick otherwise we will have to start the debate about the shortage of runways in the south of England all over again before the first sod of earth at Heathrow is even turned over. I like the idea of a fast rail link between the airports too.

Unless you want public money involved, this would basically equate to "expand Heathrow". It's been fairly conclusively shown that Gatwick could only finance their expansion if Heathrow wasn't allowed to expand (and Gatwick's owners aren't denying this).

The dedicated rail link is a red herring of an idea. At most, it would be carrying a few thousand passengers per day. That's just not enough to justify any kind of dedicated rail link with a sensible service frequency, so basically you'd be spending a fortune to pull around empty carriages.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sandpit said:

WE also need flying buses between the two airports like you see in Total Recall
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Dear oh dear. What am I missing in finding that program not only unfunny but unwatchable?
    Just about the only upside of my other half's accident is that he now flakes out around 9 and apparently hasn't picked up that this is back on tv.
  • Options
    edited October 2016

IanB2 said:

As a SW London resident and someone who is often directly below the Heathrow flight path, I have to say that the noise nuisance has decreased very considerably over even the past five years and immeasurably since the dreadful Concorde days. Sadly however, the air pollution problems are as bad as ever.
    Also a west London resident and don't understand what the fuss is about. Air pollution is a problem, but that's much an issue about traffic (and in particular motor manufacturers causally doctoring test results).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Rogueywon said:

Got to give them credit for publishing the responses though!
  • Options
    Whilst an amusing notion, there's actually zero chance that the Guardian swung the 2004 election for Bush. It's basically an urban myth.

Clark County only had 70k votes cast, against a 140k statewide margin for Bush. The swing there was very close to that across the rest of Ohio, and Kerry's result was slightly better in Ohio than in the rest of the country.

It certainly didn't work as a project... but nor did it change anything.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Yes, but I've come down with a bout of Pneumonia and haven't yet contacted Mike Smithson.
    Pleased to see you're still fit enough to post on PB.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,005
    surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

I don't remember any flying buses.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Just about the only upside of my other half's accident is that he now flakes out around 9 and apparently hasn't picked up that this is back on tv.
    How is his recovery going?
  • Options
    On topic, it must have been like a love bombing by the Jehovah's Witnesses.
  • Options
    Rogueywon said:

DavidL said:

Unless you want public money involved, this would basically equate to "expand Heathrow". It's been fairly conclusively shown that Gatwick could only finance their expansion if Heathrow wasn't allowed to expand (and Gatwick's owners aren't denying this).

The dedicated rail link is a red herring of an idea. At most, it would be carrying a few thousand passengers per day. That's just not enough to justify any kind of dedicated rail link with a sensible service frequency, so basically you'd be spending a fortune to pull around empty carriages.
    The rail link allows Gatwick to share in any hub premium that Heathrow may have by allowing relatively easy transfers. I think it would make the expansion of Gatwick much more attractive by increasing the custom available from those arriving at or departing from Heathrow.

If the forecasts that both airports about future demand have any validity there really should be plenty of trade for both, particularly if they are better linked. There may even be an argument all too soon for expanding other airports around London such as Stansted in addition.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Rogueywon said:

Both are American, so who cares ?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

Teleportation is the future. No ned for runways at all...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

May be he means Johnny Taxi?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Rogueywon said:

It would be interesting to know whether the quoted adverse swing was from the correct county?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

He's doing well. It will be a long slow process. He's 98% of the way there mentally and it's now mostly about gaining physical strength and confidence.
  • Options

Whilst an amusing notion, there's actually zero chance that the Guardian swung the 2004 election for Bush. It's basically an urban myth.

Clark County only had 70k votes cast, against a 140k statewide margin for Bush. The swing there was very close to that across the rest of Ohio, and Kerry's result was slightly better in Ohio than in the rest of the country.

It certainly didn't work as a project... but nor did it change anything.

Spoilsport. The point of urban myths is that you want them to be true.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

He's doing well. It will be a long slow process. He's 98% of the way there mentally and it's now mostly about gaining physical strength and confidence.
    That's good to hear. Hope he is able to fully recover as soon as possible.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

The Guardian is quite sniffy about being regarded as a UK paper in the US so won't enjoy being reminded of this.

The Guardian is quite sniffy about all sorts of things, without much reason. Like the Indy, what used to be at least a 'Newspaper' is now simply a campaign rag for a outrage train of various right on causes.

• Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Great news.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Rogueywon said:

Residents? Neighbour Friends? People who value accuracy? Parents? People who bet? Courteous people?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

Yes, but by then we'll have to deal with teleportation credits handed out by the federation.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

That would be truly fantastic. No need for bridges over the Forth either, a great relief after yesterday.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited October 2016
    COLORADO voter registration surge alert

In 2012 at close of registration there were 80000 more Reps than Dems.
    http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/VoterRegNumbers/2012VoterRegNumbers.html
    This year with a couple of weeks to go there are now more Dems than Reps and that was not the case a month ago.
    http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/elections/VoterRegNumbers/VoterRegNumbers.html
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    Trump is 0.3% ahead in Ohio according to 538 which gives him a 4% better chance of winning, but that chance was 24% on Sep 26th.
    Clinton now leads in Florida according to 538 and has a 72% chance overall of winning the Presidency.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

And the new runway(s) will be north of the existing airport, meaning fewer aircraft over leafy south west London. The NIMBYs there should be encouraging it!

Oh, and I think you meant the awesome Concorde days - I grew up 20 miles west of Heathrow, as a boy I would eagerly run outside at 18:05 to watch the magnificent bird on her way to New York, where this marvellous pice of British engineering would arrive earlier than she had taken off.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

That would be truly fantastic. No need for bridges over the Forth either, a great relief after yesterday.
    And to think we went to all the trouble of leaving the UK to stop people coming here.
  • Options
    Anyway if Global Britain is the theme of the Tory Conference then they really need to get on with it. We either intend to be open for business or we don't.

Quite an interesting piece on Bloomberg about this: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-04/u-k-brexit-ministers-see-global-britain-as-tactic-not-slogan
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Rogueywon said:

DavidL said:

I think that it's an "if you build it, they will come" argument. Certainly at the moment I wouldn't recommend anyone who needs to change planes in London to change airports but a high enough speed link would make them effectively into one airport.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

As a West London resident, the air pollution comes from dodgy diesel cars and vans. We need to force them off the roads.
  • Options

At least he cannot make it compulsory in schools any more!
  • Options

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

That's great news. Hope his recovery continues.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Anyway if Global Britain is the theme of the Tory Conference then they really need to get on with it. We either intend to be open for business or we don't.

Quite an interesting piece on Bloomberg about this: https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-10-04/u-k-brexit-ministers-see-global-britain-as-tactic-not-slogan

Certainly worth a read.

PB Brexiters are very fond of telling us what the EU will and won't do based on its objective economic self-interest, over-looking the fact that the UK is being driven almost entirely by the politics. Why they think the EU might be any different is far from clear.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Rogueywon said:

DavidL said:

The rail link allows Gatwick to share in any hub premium that Heathrow may have by allowing relatively easy transfers. I think it would make the expansion of Gatwick much more attractive by increasing the custom available from those arriving at or departing from Heathrow.

If the forecasts that both airports about future demand have any validity there really should be plenty of trade for both, particularly if they are better linked. There may even be an argument all too soon for expanding other airports around London such as Stansted in addition.
    I believe experience elsewhere shows that transport of virtually any kind, sometimes including inter-terminal transfer busses, negate hub benefits. Source: I think one of the commission reports.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

:D

You engineering types should be all for advancing technology!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Certainly worth a read.

PB Brexiters are very fond of telling us what the EU will and won't do based on its objective economic self-interest, over-looking the fact that the UK is being driven almost entirely by the politics. Why they think the EU might be any different is far from clear.
    I expect us to settle into tariff free trade (if not customs union trade) with the EU eventually because of that self interest on both sides but it is going to be a bumpy ride and there is nothing inevitable about it. It seems less likely that this will have the bells and whistles of the Single Passport etc that comes with full membership but the implications of that for London are less than clear.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Rogueywon said:

DavidL said:

I believe experience elsewhere shows that transport of virtually any kind, sometimes including inter-terminal transfer busses, negate hub benefits. Source: I think one of the commission reports.
    Surely Heathrow itself with its various terminals is evidence that that is not true? Having said that changing between north and south terminals at Gatwick is a pain.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,793
    DavidL said:

You watch it sober?
  • Options

DavidL said:

You watch it sober?
    I don't watch it at all but I see your point.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It really doesn't work. Even at Heathrow, transfer traffic only accounts for a minority of passengers (just under a third). Most transfer passengers are transferring within the same airline alliance and hence generally within the same terminal. Passengers do try to avoid multi-terminal transfers. Gatwick has only a tiny portion of transfer traffic.

So a rail link would only be serving a small market. Rail lines have a huge passenger capacity, but also very high infrastructure and operating costs. So if you're going for a "new infrastructure" link not only would there be billions in construction costs, but also a huge ongoing subsidy requirement, which either airline passengers or taxpayers would end up footing the bill for. If you want to do it over existing infrastructure, you'd need to fit in with much busier commuter services and would end up with a very long journey time.

Plus airlines and passengers would likely avoid the thing like the plague anyway. Passengers have choices and like simple transfers.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

And to think we went to all the trouble of leaving the UK to stop people coming here.
    I accept that my teleportation plan does need work on how immigration controls would function.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Certainly worth a read.

It's slightly amiss on EU rules about us talking to third parties on trade - we can't make a trade agreement, because we're in the customs union, but the EU cannot take any action on the basis that we are talking to potential partners.

I think the big issue over the City, will be about how the EU 27 continue to find international finance for business, a lot of which comes via the City. If Frankfurt and Paris believe that they can take up the slack and expand into any space ceded by making passporting difficult, then the politics may take over.

The EU is currently looking to expand the AIFMD passport to non EU nations, so with the UK already being compliant with EU banking and Financial Services regulation, it would seem a strange move to include Singapore and not London.

https://www.esma.europa.eu/press-news/esma-news/esma-advises-extension-funds-passport-12-non-eu-countries

I think this if from July 16.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Charles said:

Pulpstar said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

May be he means Johnny Taxi?
    So, In future elections it will be Johnny taxi for the Lib Dems
  • Options
    TonyE said:

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Certainly worth a read.

It's slightly amiss on EU rules about us talking to third parties on trade - we can't make a trade agreement, because we're in the customs union, but the EU cannot take any action on the basis that we are talking to potential partners.

I think the big issue over the City, will be about how the EU 27 continue to find international finance for business, a lot of which comes via the City. If Frankfurt and Paris believe that they can take up the slack and expand into any space ceded by making passporting difficult, then the politics may take over.

The EU is currently looking to expand the AIFMD passport to non EU nations, so with the UK already being compliant with EU banking and Financial Services regulation, it would seem a strange move to include Singapore and not London.

https://www.esma.europa.eu/press-news/esma-news/esma-advises-extension-funds-passport-12-non-eu-countries

I think this if from July 16.
    Personally I think that making it difficult for EU businesses to draw on London's skills, financial expertise and liquidity would be self harming for EU nations and their growth prospects but Ian is right to point out that politics means that sort of stupidity is far from impossible.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806

Heathrow Hub is the extension of the current north runway? Do that and build runway 3, resulting in four effective runways. Require a plan to reduce overall noise impact from the airport to keep neighbours happy.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Good morning, everyone.

Works both ways. Unsurprised the American electorate told the Guardian its view was at the back of the queue.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Certainly worth a read.

One part of that article suggests that the government has its hopes exactly back to front. It should be hoping that Eurosceptic parties bellyflop in France and Germany. If they do well, it will be vital for the embattled governments to show that Leavers don't prosper.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Okay, I've bitten.

I accept that my teleportation plan does need work on how immigration controls would function.
    You'd have to file a flight plan for international teleportation giving your schedule and destination. The bursts of energy as people materialise should be instantly detectable and a supercomputer in control of a fleet of drones would instantly vaporise any unauthorised arrivals.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited October 2016
    Although Quinnipiac polls have a Trump lean of +2 the Ohio polling this cycle is one of the few bright spots for Trump along with Iowa. That said the early voting numbers from Iowa are not encouraging for Trump. Both states do however have a significantly better GOP ground game than the other swing states so Iowa may yet flip to Donald.

As Missouri did in 08 it may be that Ohio will lose the bell weather status this year and edge to Trump whilst Clinton comfortably wins the electoral college. The other post debate state polling is solidly with Clinton with boosts in Florida, North Carolina, Nevada and Colorado.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,141
    DavidL said:

Absolutely. After the events of the last seven days, "Trump 4% ahead in Ohio" seems a downright peculiar headline to run. Particularly coming after the prominence given to a pro-Trump tweet yesterday.

Perhaps it stems from a desire to bolster a betting position? If so, I think the influence of this site is being overestimated, particularly when so many sources of objective information are available.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,806
    DavidL said:

From the article: "The politicians are adamant that their meetings with the international community in the wake of the referendum suggest no adverse post-Brexit impact on the attitudes of global investors or multinational companies."

Reports of those meetings go like this: Ministers ask business people what they want from Brexit. Answer, the Single Market. Answer ignored then Minister lectures business people on the great opportunities of Brexit. Business people are slightly irritated at having to repeat the performance at several ministries because officials are not talking to each other.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

DavidL said:

From the article: "The politicians are adamant that their meetings with the international community in the wake of the referendum suggest no adverse post-Brexit impact on the attitudes of global investors or multinational companies."

Reports of those meetings go like this: Ministers ask business people what they want from Brexit. Answer, the Single Market. Answer ignored then Minister lectures business people on the great opportunities of Brexit. Business people are slightly irritated at having to repeat the performance at several ministries because officials are not talking to each other.
    Having the single market via EEA (EFTA) is fine in the short term. But the problem with the EEA is that there is a lot of non trade based legislation tacked to it (check the Annexes), because Norway encouraged that so that the rather Europhile political class could eventually take them into the EU.

Their voters however, have other ideas, and would like to see a loosening of the ties further (from what I understand of it). But rather like the UK for generations, they simply have a political class which give them no alternative to vote for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,187
    edited October 2016
    Ohio is likely to vote for Trump even if he loses nationally, it has an above average proportion of white working class voters and a below average household income i.e. ideal Trump territory
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    JackW said:

Although Quinnipiac polls have a Trump lean of +2 the Ohio polling this cycle is one of the few bright spots for Trump along with Iowa. That said the early voting numbers from Iowa are not encouraging for Trump. Both states do however have a significantly better GOP ground game than the other swing states so Iowa may yet flip to Donald.

As Missouri did in 08 it may be that Ohio will lose the bell weather status this year and edge to Trump whilst Clinton comfortably wins the electoral college. The other post debate state polling is solidly with Clinton with boosts in Florida, North Carolina, Nevada and Colorado.

The turnaround in Colorado polling is astonishing. Vindicates the Dems pulling out resources a while ago. The 'fake' undecided were all clearly Dems waiting for a reason to vote Dem.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,729
    JackW said:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=bellwether
  • Options
    £ sinking towards $1.275 and the FTSE taking off...
  • Options

IanB2 said:

DavidL said:

Certainly worth a read.

One part of that article suggests that the government has its hopes exactly back to front. It should be hoping that Eurosceptic parties bellyflop in France and Germany. If they do well, it will be vital for the embattled governments to show that Leavers don't prosper.
    On the contrary, Sarkozy has mainly made conciliatory noises towards the UK because of the rise of Le Pen
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    IanB2 said:

31 year low

So glad we Took Back Control...
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    IanB2 said:

Hopefully no need for more interest rate cuts. Definitely no need for negative deposit rates. I think the government might begin to ease on the bank levy as well, maybe cycle it down to zero quietly over the next few years.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It is the most popular programme in Ireland by some margin
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    OT

"Indian police have taken a pigeon into custody after it was found carrying a warning note to Prime Minister Narendra Modi near the nation’s heavily militarised border with Pakistan."
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

My equities doing very well, though I do think that some retracing will occur as nothing has actually happened.

Brexit economics is quite good for us that own assets.
  • Options
    Interesting that in the end Brits took the advice of that writer from Wading River, NY and took sovereignty back from Brussels rather than Americans taking the advice of Guardian readers and getting rid of Bush
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Mr. B2, surely it's a collared dove? :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: Sterling slides this morning to lowest level versus dollar since 1985 at $1.278, below the post Brexit vote fall: ft.com/content/78b6fa…
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,899
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

I confess to a degree of ignorance on this. If sterling is falling and I accept that's good news for exporters, doesn't that mean we'll be paying more for our oil as it's priced in dollars and therefore isn't this just a precursor to the return of inflation ?

Presumably the need to bolster sterling will therefore mean not only closing off QE as soon as possible but increasing interest rates as soon as possible as well.

I'd also assumed much of the current FTSE rise is based on companies who trade in dollars anyway and it bears little resemblance (apart from as some macabre virility symbol) to the actual state of the UK economy.

• Options

IanB2 said:

My equities doing very well, though I do think that some retracing will occur as nothing has actually happened.

Brexit economics is quite good for us that own assets.
    Yet asset appreciation by the wealthy was supposedly one of the driving forces pushing those without such assets to have voted for it.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Pennsylvania - Franklin and Marshall

Clinton 47 .. Trump 38

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2016/10/03/clinton-gains-in-new-fm-pennsylvania-poll/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

We're asking the wrong question about the pound. What we should be asking is why it was overvalued for so long. British productivity hasn't improved significantly in years, and we've been printing money and shoving it into the system as fast as we can. This should be a recipe for Sterling devaluation on a large scale. What has kept it so high?
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

I confess to a degree of ignorance on this. If sterling is falling and I accept that's good news for exporters, doesn't that mean we'll be paying more for our oil as it's priced in dollars and therefore isn't this just a precursor to the return of inflation ?

Presumably the need to bolster sterling will therefore mean not only closing off QE as soon as possible but increasing interest rates as soon as possible as well.

I'd also assumed much of the current FTSE rise is based on companies who trade in dollars anyway and it bears little resemblance (apart from as some macabre virility symbol) to the actual state of the UK economy.

Correct on both points (ex the interest rate decision depends on inflation rather than the exchange rate per se).

On the first, there is clearly a lag as retailers have stocks already purchased, and any larger enterprise vulnerable to swings in currency will have hedged its exposure for six months or a year ahead. Hence for example why the price of wine has yet to rise following Brexit.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Scott_P said:

IanB2 said:

31 year low

Yes to pretty much all. However, with oil prices relatively low the absolute loss of weak Sterling is quite manageable. Chances are the inflation will be managed by passing it on through real terms wage cuts (especially at the top where there is a lot of fat to trim) and a bit of margin loss.
This discussion has been closed.