Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking back at BREXIT, the implications for Scotland and,

2»

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    Cookie said:

The best bit about the Olympics is channel hopping between random sports. Why are the South Koreans so good at archery?

I remember that from last time - S. Korea getting very high up the medal table very early as a result of the fondness for an arrow.
    Why is archery an Olympic sport and Darts not? The world is missing out.
    Michael Van Gerwen is just too pretty for the olympics.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

The empty seats at the Olympics - even for finals - are just insulting. Give them away to the poor, for free, FFS

And if the poor can't be arsed then let's remember this, and never give the Olympics to some shambolic, picturesque toilet of a city, for another 30 years

taken the Games to a developing country whereas FIFA had taken the World Cup to South Africa.
    And South Africa was a fucking shite World Cup. The vuvuzelas. Jesus FC.
    I sethan usual booing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37026844
    Yes those pesky vuvuzelas.

We here in the UK prefer the you're going to get your f*cking heads kicked in.
    Awful chants ant or taunt, but it was just a constant annoying buzz.

So the two situations are not in the least comparable in awfulness.
    I'm assuming you have never been in a hostile football stadium situation when the chants are never-ending and menacing.
    The vuvuzelas were just a dull and unending and infuriating drone, killing all atmosphere, like playing an entire World Cup inside the exoskeleton of a bluebottle
    This. Hostile chanting can go too far, but chanting and taunting each other is part of atmosphere building. There can be nothing unique or rousing about an atmosphere when every game and every stadium is smothered beneath the oppressive droning of a vuvuzela.

Sorry to go on about it, but the mention of it just brought back memories of how terrible it was to watch. I really like to get invested in random matches in world cups, and I think for that one I ended up just putting games on mute while watching something else.
    Yes. It was awful. In the end, like you, I was reduced - literally - to watching games on Mute

It also killed the joy of the ebb and flow of crowd support, the way one team gains ascendancy and their fans give voice, then the other team strikes back, and THEIR fans get excited. This stuff is crucial to sport, indeed any performative spectacle - it's why sitcoms have canned laughter.

Vuvuzelas were canned anti-laughter. Something designed to strangle buzz and deaden mood.
    I'm not much of a football fan, but I did switch on the telly to watch the opening match against Mexico after the match had already started. I then spent 10 minutes fiddling with the TV aerial before I realised that the godawful buzzing sound was actually a real thing. And then every match accompanied by that irritating, mind-numbing drone. Just horrible.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    RobD said:

The best bit about the Olympics is channel hopping between random sports. Why are the South Koreans so good at archery?

The south Korean women have won gold in every team archery event ever held & I think it is 14 out of 15 for the individual.

I don't know for certain but it might be for a similar reason that they dominant womens speed skating. Apparently they south Korean authorities targeted events they thought best suited Korean body types then pumped huge funding into them & then don't bother at all with other sports...rather than in Britain if it's a sport we give it a go.
    Hm, I wonder what sport is best suited for British body types... :D
    I do have this t shirt from 2012 that suggests British sports:

https://8balltees.com/products/up15-11-british-games-2012-all-events-t-shirt
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

The empty seats at the Olympics - even for finals - are just insulting. Give them away to the poor, for free, FFS
    que toilet of a city, for another 30 years

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only frica.
    I seem to retrue.

Personally I wasn't convinced this Olympics is not doing great until I read this piece trying to explain away what is apparently more than usual booing.

Awful c
    I'm assuming you have never been in a hostile football stadium situation when the chants are never-ending and menacing.
    Er yeah, a bluebottle
    Haha bless you. "Imaginative and abusive chanting".

You are *so* Primrose Hill.
    Have

Tedious unanimous vuvuzelas, no.
    hahaha hysterically funny you remind me of those Fast Show football fans.

"great pleasures of a game is creative abuse from fans". Priceless.

you really don't understand the essence of football do you.
    Twit.

As a schoolboy and teen I was a die-hard fan of Hereford United. When they went from non league obscurity to Division Two (when I saw them play away and beat Notts Forest!!!), then right back to non league obscurity.

Ten years wrapped in a scarf, watching my team explode and implode. I was so keen I used to go to RESERVE matches, Yes. Hereford United. Reserves. lol. Edgar Street and the Meadowend.

You?
    wearing a scarf is the first give-away.
    Heh. You didn't. Did you? Be honest.

You never went to proper matches in crappy grounds eating disgusting pies and having ludicrous fights. I did, for years. I was a very rubbish hooligan for a while.

You didn't. You did none of this.
    Hereford Utd at Edgar Street perchance?
    Sean went along in his scarf and the highlight of the day was a hotdog from the van which was a treat given his usual diet of quinoa and alfalfa beans.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Catching up and Andrew Neil's twitter feed is always a delight:

Follow

Andrew NeilVerified account
    @afneil
    Terrible day for FTSE100: down 0.13%!!!!
  • Options

Really embarrassing that Olympic venues don't have a roof because they couldn't afford one - meaning events are being cancelled.

To be fair in regards to the rowing being constantly cancelled, not sure you can put a roof on that ;-)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited August 2016
    Skepticism of a Labour split seems pretty strong still on the podcast. I had thought hearts were overriding heads on that point, as they seem pretty split and formalising that seems almost sensible and its the emotional connection holding it back, but in fact it could be the other way around. The hearts are recognising the party is badly split, some might even want it on some level, but their heads are saying it won't help either side and will only help the Tories, which is worse.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    SeanT said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

And if the poor can't be arsed then let's remember this, and never give the Olympics to some shambolic, picturesque toilet of a city, for another 30 years

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only got these games because the IOC were embarrassed that they hadn't taken the Games to a developing country whereas FIFA had taken the World Cup to South Africa.
    I seem to retrue.

Personally I wasn't convinced this Olympics is not doing great until I read this piece trying to explain away what is apparently more than usual booing.

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

As a schoolboy and teen I was a die-hard fan of Hereford United. When they went from non league obscurity to Division Two (when I saw them p

You?

You never went to proper matches in crappy grounds eating disgusting pies and having ludicrous fights. I did, for years. I was a very rubbish hooligan for a while.

Yes!
    Went to a few matches there myself when I was in the Shire, I think they are still selling the same meat pies!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    RobD said:

The south Korean women have won gold in every team archery event ever held & I think it is 14 out of 15 for the individual.

I don't know for certain but it might be for a similar reason that they dominant womens speed skating. Apparently they south Korean authorities targeted events they thought best suited Korean body types then pumped huge funding into them & then don't bother at all with other sports...rather than in Britain if it's a sport we give it a go.
    At the London Olympics after winning British medals in Cycling, Rowing and Equestrian, the Ausses said the Brits can only win when sitting down. - I think they may have a point :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

At the London Olympics after winning British medals in Cycling, Rowing and Equestrian, the Ausses said the Brits can only win when sitting down. - I think they may have a point :lol:
    Sniping first on a PB thread counts as a sport, right? I can do that sitting down :D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,993
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

que toilet of a city, for another 30 years

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only frica.
    I seem to retrue.

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

As a schoolboy and teen I was a die-hard fan of Hereford United. When they went from non league obscurity to Division Two (when I saw them play away and beat Notts Forest!!!), then right back to non league obscurity.

Ten years wrapped in a scarf, watching my team explode and implode. I was so keen I used to go to RESERVE matches, Yes. Hereford United. Reserves. lol. Edgar Street and the Meadowend.

You?

Sean went along in his scarf and the highlight of the day was a hotdog from the van which was a treat given his usual diet of quinoa and alfalfa beans.
    You certainly could not get a nice Chianti!
  • Options

RobD said:

No sitting in the diving :)
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Interesting, I hadn't heard that C2DE 18-34 voters were only just Remainers by a few points (in a poll anyway). As that was my grouping, I guess I wasn't as anomalous as i thought.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

The e, for another 30 years

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only got these games because the IOC were embarrassed that they hadn't taken the Games to a developing country whereas FIFA had taken the World Cup to South Africa.
    I seem026844

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

As a t and the Meadowend.

You?
    Heh.ile.

Sean, sweetie, you are embarrassing yourself.
    did you? Did you support any team passionately, as I did? Like - actually going to the ground to watch RESERVE matches in the depths of a 70s winter? Brawling and spitting?

No, you didn't. I did. It was a pointless waste of time and, in retrospect, I can't believe I cared so much about a tiny little team in a forgotten corner of non league nothingness.

But I did it. So I know more than you, QED, and the argument is over

Sean you are priceless. You are trying to create a narrative which you didn't experience yourself and so are trying very hard to recreate. But you needn't be embarrassed or worried about it. You have achieved an enormous amount in life. You don't have to have been a football hooligan also.

"Ludicrous fights at reserve matches". Umm k.

Every word you utter on this subject is further testament to this lack of experience and you really don't need to add this string to your bow.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Pulpstar said:

RobD said:

No sitting in the diving :)
    Yes there is. After 10 seconds of activity, you then spend 15 mins in the hot tub. No wonder we are good we are good at it.

Although looking at the colour of the pool, I hate to think what has been breeding in those hot tubs.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

For: TOPPING

Yer a fucking idiot.

This is 1976. In provincial England. I know more about everything than you. I do not believe there is one sphere of human experience, one single significant facet of the entire human condition, where I am not better qualified to judge, by personal knowledge, than you. Everything I say, even in error, is more important and interesting than anything you have ever thought, said, done or will ever do.

Also my girlfriend is HOT and 25 and LIKES TO GET KINKY and you have an ugly, hairy, prolapsing old sow of a wife you pungent, superannuated creep

Also: PAH

And yet you haven't worked out the spacings in the Vanilla quote system.
  • Options

RobD said:

There was a great tweet doing the rounds in 2012 after GB did well in Judo and Dressage, along the lines of 'Don't mess with the UK, our women will beat you to death and our horses will dance upon your grave'.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

Interesting, I hadn't heard that C2DE 18-34 voters were only just Remainers by a few points (in a poll anyway). As that was my grouping, I guess I wasn't as anomalous as i thought.

Vote splits (TUC). ABC1 then C2DE:

18-34 71:29 53:46
    35-64 51:46 33:66
    65+ 43:56 32:67
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

Vote splits (TUC).

18-34 ABC1 71:29 C2DE 53:46
    35-64 ABC1 51:46 C2DE 33:66
    65+ ABC1 43:56 C2DE 32:67
    Did they try and assess turnout in their poll?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited August 2016
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Sniping first on a PB thread counts as a sport, right? I can do that sitting down :D
    Absolutely Mr D – A time honoured event for a chosen few, whom I’m happy to assist :wink:

Oh, and goodnight all.
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Absolutely Mr D – A time honoured event for a chosen few, whom I’m happy to assist :wink:
    and now we play the waiting game.....
  • Options
    John_M said:

kle4 said:

Worth noting at the same time that 1/3 of C2DE voters were for Remain.

These were demographic trends, not certainties.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem026844

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

Sean you are priceless. You are trying to create a narrative which you didn't experience yourself and so are trying very hard to recreate. But you needn't be embarrassed or worried about it. You have achieved an enormous amount in life. You don't have to have been a football hooligan also.

"Ludicrous fights at reserve matches". Umm k.

Every word you utter on this subject is further testament to this lack of experience and you really don't need to add this string to your bow.
    But the funny thing is, it's true. I really was a particularly pathetic teenage 70s football hooligan, AS WELL AS EVERYTHING ELSE

No you weren't. You are inventing it because you think it is cool.

You are plenty cool enough with your 25-yr old invented hot babe.
  • Options
    Bad form from Leo in the podcast, layout out some very very unlikely but possible threads of hope for the die hard remainers who hope to stop things.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

It would be judicious and also percipient to observe that I am not unadjacent to a bottle of Rioja

Just the one? A pity. ;)
  • Options

John_M said:

kle4 said:

The TUC work is interesting as it reveals a much more nuanced picture of the electorate, and highlights (should any more be needed) where Remain went wrong. Its made for interesting reading as it was a mix of polling and social survey.

@RobD It's not in the summary report though I haven't checked the data tables.
  • Options
    Aussies aren't troubling the medal table yet. Not even a bronze !!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem026844

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

hahahe essence of football do you.
    Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

Seanthis string to your bow.

You are plenty cool enough with your 25-yr old inventend hot babe.

And, once, in some weird cup game, we got humiliated by... Wealdstone FC, when there was a stabbing.

Hereford in the 70s was a violent place - like many small provincial British towns - in a way people forget now. There was a casual expectation of brawls, every weekend. It's what happened.

I went back a couple of years ago and it is transformed. Bourgeois. Cafes. Hipster food shops. A totally different place.

They demolished the cattle market, and plopped a Waitrose and a cinema in its place. It's a little jewel of a city now.

I know what you mean about the fighting. It used to be utterly routine and unexceptional to finish off the night with a scrap. Like drink driving, it was ubiquitous.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

Apart from football, bloody Scots.
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

The TUC work is interesting as it reveals a much more nuanced picture of the electorate, and highlights (should any more be needed) where Remain went wrong. Its made for interesting reading as it was a mix of polling and social survey.

I missed out that the 35% of C2DE vwas the figure for the over 65's.. they were outnumbered 2:1 but it was not unusual for the Mrs Duffys's of the country to vote Remain.

Not all of the WWC shares the fixations of the anti-immigrant right. Not by a long chalk.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamica.
    And Soutvuzelas. Jesus FC.
    I seem026844

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

But the funny thing is, it's true. I really was a particularly pathetic teenage 70s football hooligan, AS WELL AS EVERYTHING ELSE

No, I REALLY WAS. We used to confront Cardiff City fans, most of all. They were more numerous and eerily menacing. Also Wolves.

And, once, in some weird cup game, we got humiliated by... Wealdstone FC, when there was a stabbing.

Hereford in the 70s was a violent place - like many small provincial British towns - in a way people forget now. There was a casual expectation of brawls, every weekend. It's what happened.

I went back a couple of years ago and it is transformed. Bourgeois. Cafes. Hipster food shops. A totally different place.

ok fair enough. If you say so. But "eerily menacing". Does that mean smacking the fuck out of you, or vice versa?

Sorry to ask, but Rioja (2005 Cambon de la Pelouse for me) aside, have you ever hit someone at a football match?
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

I missed out that the 35% of C2DE vwas the figure for the over 65's.. they were outnumbered 2:1 but it was not unusual for the Mrs Duffys's of the country to vote Remain.

Not all of the WWC shares the fixations of the anti-immigrant right. Not by a long chalk.
    You should read the report. It's quite reassuring, particularly the immigration analysis.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I bluth Africa.
    I seem026844

Awful c
    I'm aand menacing.
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

And.

They demolished the cattle market, and plopped a Waitrose and a cinema in its place. It's a little jewel of a city now.

I know what you mean about the fighting. It used to be utterly routine and unexceptional to finish off the night with a scrap. Like drink driving, it was ubiquitous.
    Hereford has a Waitrose??!!!

But yes, judging by my very brief revisit, it is has been transformed, and very much for the better. It was a small town with lots of issues as I was growing up. Casual street fights were expected at the weekend. It was a nice place to be 5 years old, or 55, but aged 15 or 25 it was either rough or shit, so everyone left.

The countryside was always ravishing. The unexampled beauty of Herefordshire is one of the great secrets of England. Pevsner loved it, it was possibly his favourite county.

Were you at the famous Hereford v Newcastle FA Cup game Sean ?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Dutch women's hockey escape with a 1-0 win over China, goal scored 69 seconds from the end. If this were football you might say their name was on the cup.

Now to basketball on BBC Red Button 8 (the Ocho), Aussies holding the US to a 29-29 tie after one.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I bluth Africa.
    I seem026844
    I'm aand menacing.
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

And.

But yes, judging by my very brief revisit, it is has been transformed, and very much for the better. It was a small town with lots of issues as I was growing up. Casual street fights were expected at the weekend. It was a nice place to be 5 years old, or 55, but aged 15 or 25 it was either rough or shit, so everyone left.

The countryside was always ravishing. The unexampled beauty of Herefordshire is one of the great secrets of England. Pevsner loved it, it was possibly his favourite county.

It's my retirement destination when I approach full decrepitude. Only 17 miles up the road from where I am now. I love it because it's probably the smallest a settlement can be and still be a proper place.

It's far enough from every other city that there's no talk of closing down services (e.g. the wonderful Renton oncology suite) and big enough to sustain a decent range of shops etc.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,600

They are well capable of taking alone on the rest of the world at women's golf too. 5 in the top 10 rankings. You'll see next week.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,445
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

I'm talking about Stockport now, not Hereford. But I remember violence being freely available on a Saturday night, sometimes if you wanted it, sometimes whether you wanted it or not. Sometimes it was nasty, sometimes just sport - I remember a friend of mine getting a kicking, then being alarmed when his assailant followed him onto his bus, only to find he was returning his wallet which had been dropped in the scrap. Unremarkable at the time, but another world in retrospect from the perspective of 2016.This was 1990-ish. Has the country become less violent? Or is it just that I have grown up and these things now happen to another generation?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamica.
    And Soutvuzelas. Jesus FC.
    I seem026844

Awful c
    I'm assuming you have neing and menacing.
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

No,ent place.

ok fair enough. If you say so. But "eerily menacing". Does that mean smacking the fuck out of you, or vice versa?

Sorry to ask, but Rioja (2005 Cambon de la Pelouse for me) aside, have you ever hit someone at a football match?
    They generally smacked the fuck out of us. I'm not sure I personally did anything worse than fight over scarves (i.e. slapping and wrestling in a faintly girly way) but I was part of mobs that got coralled by police and in which people were quite badly beaten. That was provincial Britain in 1977.
    OK fair enough x 2, if that is as you remember it.

"slapping and wrestling in a faintly girly way".

You do realise I might have to deploy that against you in PB conversations to come...
  • Options
    John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

You should read the report. It's quite reassuring, particularly the immigration analysis.
    Dou you have a link?
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    Is there some sort of sporting event happening? Or have I just scrolled past an entire thread of bizarre sexual innuendos unknown to me peppered by @SeanT insults?
  • Options

John_M said:

John_M said:

John_M said:

kle4 said:

Dou you have a link?
    The summary presentation. Can't find the data linkie atm.

https://gqrr.app.box.com/s/8fryc6auj1y9x3f5syp6hrwqep2xz45l
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    Pulpstar said:

Aussies aren't troubling the medal table yet. Not even a bronze !!

Err, they're sixth in the table, nine medals and four golds.

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Is there some sort of sporting event happening? Or have I just scrolled past an entire thread of bizarre sexual innuendos unknown to me peppered by @SeanT insults?

Yes. Burghley is only weeks away and we are all excited.

@SeanT insults? No. Thrice no. He is a sweetie pie. Insults is not something he does.
  • Options
    Re vuvuzelas

They were the cause of the last bit of real life football violence I saw.

Namely in the England v USA game a pisshead in a pub was annoying everyone by using one. In particular he was annoying a bloke the like of whom you would not want to meet down a dark alley.

He was warned that if he blew his vuvuselaz one more time ...

I'm sure that the dental work boosted GDP.
  • Options

Dutch women's hockey escape with a 1-0 win over China, goal scored 69 seconds from the end. If this were football you might say their name was on the cup.

Now to basketball on BBC Red Button 8 (the Ocho), Aussies holding the US to a 29-29 tie after one.

I am going to guess that US star players are too busy occupied in the local "spa".
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

No,ent place.

They generally smacked the fuck out of us. I'm not sure I personally did anything worse than fight over scarves (i.e. slapping and wrestling in a faintly girly way) but I was part of mobs that got coralled by police and in which people were quite badly beaten. That was provincial Britain in 1977.

"slapping and wrestling in a faintly girly way".

You do realise I might have to deploy that against you in PB conversations to come...
    He is right though.

There was a multitude of suburban / middle class / grammar school who were hangers on to the fringes of football hooliganism in the 1970s and 1980s.

It was an easy way to give yourself some street cred. In your own eyes at least.

In retrospect its rather embarrassing - trying to shock your gran with some exaggerated story of a punch up at Blundell Park when her and her parents generation had gone through world wars.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

SeanT said:

I'm talking about Stockport now, not Hereford. But I remember violence being freely available on a Saturday night, sometimes if you wanted it, sometimes whether you wanted it or not. Sometimes it was nasty, sometimes just sport - I remember a friend of mine getting a kicking, then being alarmed when his assailant followed him onto his bus, only to find he was returning his wallet which had been dropped in the scrap. Unremarkable at the time, but another world in retrospect from the perspective of 2016.This was 1990-ish. Has the country become less violent? Or is it just that I have grown up and these things now happen to another generation?
    Doesn't it have something to do with the banning of leaded petrol?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

I do believe the casual pub violence of the 70s and 80s has lessened.
    Certainly.

And there's no football hooliganism or picket line violence as there was in the 1970s and 1980s.

A couple of theories:

1) Pub / football / striking violence was the yearning of that generation to show 'traditional martial spirit' as suggested by Alan Clark.

2) Leaded petrol made everyone more aggressive.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    Sean "Wolfie" T - man of the people. I guess thats the spiel he tells these Corbynista birds.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

ebottle

Have

Tw

You?
    id none of this.
    yourself.
    did y is over

No y

You.
    No

The 1977.

"u do realise I might have to deploy that against you in PB conversations to come...
    He is right though.

There was a multitude of suburban / middle class / grammar school who were hangers on to the fringes of football hooliganism in the 1970s and 1980s.

It was an easy way to give yourself some street cred. In your own eyes at least.

In retrospect its rather embarrassing - trying to shock your gran with some exaggerated story of a punch up at Blundell Park when her and her parents generation had gone through world wars.
    Yes you are right; there were plenty of those around. At least @SeanT acknowledges the place he occupied, although perhaps not as brutally honest as your assessment. I happen to doubt also that @SeanT even got to the actual fighting stage, but if he says he did, then I have to accept that.

But it was, as it appears you are aware, quite different from some of the activities during that time of some of the more dedicated football followers.

The whole discussion began because it was said that vuvuzelas were irritating. My point was simply that previously inside football stadiums, and latterly outside them, there was much more to worry about than vuvuzelas.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Certainly.

And there's no football hooliganism or picket line violence as there was in the 1970s and 1980s.

A couple of theories:

1) Pub / football / striking violence was the yearning of that generation to show 'traditional martial spirit' as suggested by Alan Clark.

While I think there is evidence to support both of those theories (especially the leaded petrol theory), it could just as well be simply our changing culture. Interestingly, records from a couple of hundred years ago indicate that theft was then considered to be far more heinous crime than violent behaviour.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    What the..?

"Wimbledon Player 'Poisoning' Investigated
    British tennis player Gabriella Taylor was taken seriously ill during a junior's quarter final match at Wimbledon."

Sky news
    http://news.sky.com/story/wimbledon-player-poisoning-investigated-10531298
  • Options
    Re Rio

I'd agree that it looks pretty mediocre.

But don't forget that Euro 96 was also a pretty mediocre tournament played in half empty stadia.

Does anyone have views on when the recent British enthusiasm for sport began ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,080
    SeanT said:

I'm not sure I personally did anything worse than fight over scarves (i.e. slapping and wrestling in a faintly girly way)

This sort of thing?

https://twitter.com/CelticGoals/status/762247483070279680
  • Options

SeanT said:

Cookie said:

SeanT said:

Certainly.

A couple of theories:

While I think there is evidence to support both of those theories (especially the leaded petrol theory), it could just as well be simply our changing culture. Interestingly, records from a couple of hundred years ago indicate that theft was then considered to be far more heinous crime than violent behaviour.
    Perhaps because a few hundred years ago property was expensive and life was cheap.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

FAO PB-ers all

"Saying that "all of us know the Tories are going to call an election next May", Coleman warned the meeting that with Corbyn at the helm, the party would go down to a defeat of "the same level as in 1931". In 1931, Labour was reduced to 52 seats. "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/08/jeremy-corbyns-first-policy-chief-warns-he-will-lead-labour-1931-style

Ramsay MacDonald's "National Labour" won a further 13 seats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_1931
  • Options
    SeanT said:

FAO PB-ers all

"Saying that "all of us know the Tories are going to call an election next May", Coleman warned the meeting that with Corbyn at the helm, the party would go down to a defeat of "the same level as in 1931". In 1931, Labour was reduced to 52 seats. "

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/08/jeremy-corbyns-first-policy-chief-warns-he-will-lead-labour-1931-style

CON gain Bootle?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

John_M said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I bluth Africa.
    I seem026844

Awful c
    I'm aand menacing.
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh.ile.

did y is over

And.

Hereford also has a train station :)
  • Options

SeanT said:

FAO PB-ers all

Blimey, Labour lost 225 seats... :o
  • Options
    I see north Korea have won 2 silver & a bronze...or as reported in north Korea, they have successfully defended all the titles they won in London 2012 & stand top of the medal table with 30 golds.
  • Options

I see north Korea have won 2 silver & a bronze...or as reported in north Korea, they have successfully defended all the titles they won in London 2012 & stand top of the medal table with 30 golds.

Dave Kim.
  • Options
    have In store aso said the medals are in shooting & weight lifting. I am guessing you get quite good practising on live targets!
  • Options

North Korea best Korea, or so the Internet tells me.
  • Options
    RobD said:

SeanT said:

FAO PB-ers all

Even better than the Tories in 1997 :lol:
  • Options

RobD said:

SeanT said:

FAO PB-ers all

Even better than the Tories in 1997 :lol:
    ... a date that will live in infamy!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    On yesterday's episode of Neighbours, two of the characters (Toadie & Brad) were watching the synchronised swimming on the TV. The Olympic event doesn't start until 14th August. It's almost as if it's fiction, and not real life.
  • Options
    Lost another medal to the cheating Russians.
  • Options
    For those who thrive on statistics, here are some:

Since the start of the men's 10 metre synchronised diving competition (8pm on Monday),
    the number of people following Tom Daley on Twitter has gone up by 20,622 (0.8%);
    the number of people following Dan Goodfellow has gone up by 16,833 (147.7%).
  • Options
    On 2nd May 2015, I met Theresa May.
    14 months later, she became Prime Minister.

On 3rd May 2015, I met Jack Laugher.
    15 months later, he won an Olympic gold medal.

I am trying to remember who, if anybody, I met on 4th May 2015...
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

On 2nd May 2015, I met Theresa May.
    14 months later, she became Prime Minister.

On 3rd May 2015, I met Jack Laugher.
    15 months later, he won an Olympic gold medal.

I am trying to remember who, if anybody, I met on 4th May 2015...

Not a bad record :D
  • Options
    BTW - thanks for the video/podcast. Good to have a bit of political chat to fill the void the Daily Politics/This Week has left.
This discussion has been closed.