Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking back at BREXIT, the implications for Scotland and,

SystemSystem Posts: 11,684
edited August 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Looking back at BREXIT, the implications for Scotland and, of course, the LAB leadership – all in latest PB/Polling Matters Podcast

Keiran Pedley was joined by Julia Rampen from the New Statesman and Leo Barasi and discussed polling around support for Scottish Independence post Brexit, Labour splitting and some interesting polling from GQR around the causes of Brexit, roll of immigration and what happens next.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2016
    First like team GB in the diving...Top bombing....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx3_MpwFJI
  • Options
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited August 2016
    Second like Labour (used to be)

/edit third like Labour might be
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    5th like Owen Smith
  • Options
    I hate to think what nasty bugs the drivers are going to pick up from that pool!
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    SeanT said:

Everything I have proposed as a solution to European Islamism - ban burqa, ban sharia, restrict halal butchery, stop foreign funding of mosques, jail hate speakers, close Muslim schools, close all hardline mosques - will become the norm across Europe in the next ten years.

It would be ironic if it became the norm in the rEU while Brexit Britain carried on with a multicultural approach.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Ah, Scottish indepedence. Interesting that impact has been minimal - had read something recently that about 11 billion of Scotland's exports go to Europe, whereas it's about 48 billion to the rest of the U.K. If that's the case, what is sturgeon arguing for? The economic risk seems far larger leaving the Union.

The diving was bloody brilliant by the way.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Whitlock going well in the gym..
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    I know someone who was a baggage handler at Heathrow for many years. He reckoned the security was rubbish back in the 90s/early 2000s. Hopefully it's improved since then.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    SeanT said:

The empty seats at the Olympics - even for finals - are just insulting. Give them away to the poor, for free, FFS

And if the poor can't be arsed then let's remember this, and never give the Olympics to some shambolic, picturesque toilet of a city, for another 30 years

London permanent host. :)
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071
    SeanT said:

And if the poor can't be arsed then let's remember this, and never give the Olympics to some shambolic, picturesque toilet of a city, for another 30 years

That's put the kibosh on Marseille's chances.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I know someone who was a baggage handler at Heathrow for many years. He reckoned the security was rubbish back in the 90s/early 2000s. Hopefully it's improved since then.
    I know somebody who worked at Gatwick in the early 2000s & security was a joke there too. Butter up the right few people & know where you were going & you could get airside without being checked.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The empty seats at the Olympics - even for finals - are just insulting. Give them away to the poor, for free, FFS

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only got these games because the IOC were embarrassed that they hadn't taken the Games to a developing country whereas FIFA had taken the World Cup to South Africa.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    The bbc were saying you had to take two buses & walk a mile to get to one of the locations. Given the crime in Rio, thats taking a lot of chances to watch a sport that most Brazilians have never heard of, let alone participate.

The one positive (and also a negative) , in the UK we give every sport a go, even crazy shit like that going down the bobsled track on a tea tray when we don't even have a track.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

First like team GB in the diving...Top bombing....

ttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mx3_MpwFJI

Superb. :lol:
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blame Sepp Blatter. I reckon Rio only got these games because the IOC were embarrassed that they hadn't taken the Games to a developing country whereas FIFA had taken the World Cup to South Africa.
    And South Africa was a fucking shite World Cup. The vuvuzelas. Jesus FC.
    Yes, given the next World Cups are in Russia and Qatar, and the next Euros are spread across Europe (merci beaucoup Monsieur Platini), we'll probably have to wait until 2024 to get another decent tournament for the fans - and that will probably be in Germany.

The semis and final for Euro 2020 will be at Wembley. Apparently this came about because the FA agreed to back Germany's bid for 2024. So well done to our FA for giving up on us having a proper tournament that would benefit the whole country* rather than just London.

* I'd support a GB and Ireland bid for the Euros.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, given the next World Cups are in Russia and Qatar, and the next Euros are spread across Europe (merci beaucoup Monsieur Platini), we'll probably have to wait until 2024 to get another decent tournament for the fans - and that will probably be in Germany.

The semis and final for Euro 2020 will be at Wembley. Apparently this came about because the FA agreed to back Germany's bid for 2024. So well done to our FA for giving up on us having a proper tournament that would benefit the whole country* rather than just London.

I don't know which of Russia & Qatar are going to be bigger shit shows.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to recall being told that disliking the constant, blaring. f***ing vuvuzelas was lacking appreciation of a different footballing culture. In the same way it would not be appreciating the unique culture of cicadas with megaphones, I suppose that would be true.

Personally I wasn't convinced this Olympics is not doing great until I read this piece trying to explain away what is apparently more than usual booing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-37026844
  • Options
    New Zealand are going to have an enquiry into their poor performance in the sevens I'm guessing...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited August 2016

Ah, Scottish indepedence. Interesting that impact has been minimal - had read something recently that about 11 billion of Scotland's exports go to Europe, whereas it's about 48 billion to the rest of the U.K. If that's the case, what is sturgeon arguing for? The economic risk seems far larger leaving the Union.

The diving was bloody brilliant by the way.

Last figures I saw were that rUK + RoW were ~89% of Scottish exports. However, economics aren't everything and people are definitely not rational actors - otherwise we'd all be City traders and/or marrying millionaires.

London generates 240% of Wales's GVA per head. I'll flat out assert that Londoners are not 240% happier than the Welsh. Independent Scotland would be poorer, but they might well be happier.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Even the gymnastics is lifeless and quiet and inert. The gymnastics FINAL. The essence of the Olympics

It's really quite sad.

Yep it is completely flat.

It should be great in Tokyo.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I am far from convinced that either will actually host at the end of the day.

Russia may well have the right to host any international sport removed. And Qatar will just unravel as an utterly stupid idea.

This, of course, requires FIFA to become a clean set-up...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Even the gymnastics is lifeless and quiet and inert. The gymnastics FINAL. The essence of the Olympics

It's really quite sad.

I reckon Tokyo will deliver a superb games in 2020. It will be ultra expensive to visit as an overseas visitor but it's almost the complete opposite of Rio when it comes to personal safety. And the Japanese are very enthusiastic about their sport so they'll get behind it in the way they did for the 2002 World Cup.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

It's really quite sad.

Yep it is completely flat.

It should be great in Tokyo.
    Tokyo will be brilliant. The Japanese are smart and affluent and they are natural born enthusiasts, every stadium will be full of clever pretty Japanese kids supporting Paraguayan weightlifters just for the fun of it.

Rio, hmmm.
    And staying on afterwards to clean up the litter.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Qatar, by an order of magnitude as I presume the Russians will sit on their Ultras to avoid bad PR.

If they don't then Russia.
  • Options
    Island nation with powerful and sometimes bloody history, an ancient monarchy, sports mad and tea drinkers.

Yes, Japan will do just fine.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Qatar, by an order of magnitude as I presume the Russians will sit on their Ultras to avoid bad PR.

Not sure the gay fan will be welcomed with open arms in either...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

New Zealand are going to have an enquiry into their poor performance in the sevens I'm guessing...

When Japan over threw that last lineout and NZ gathered I am sure not a single person watching doubted they were going to go the length of the field and score. Something definitely not working for them.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to recall being told that disliking the constant, blaring. f***ing vuvuzelas was lacking appreciation of a different footballing culture. In the same way it would not be appreciating the unique culture of cicadas with megaphones, I suppose that would be true.

Personally I wasn't convinced this Olympics is not doing great until I read this piece trying to explain away what is apparently more than usual booing.

Yes those pesky vuvuzelas.

We here in the UK prefer the you're going to get your f*cking heads kicked in.
  • Options

Alistair said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Not sure the gay fan will be welcomed with open arms in either...
    It's a long shot but I'm hoping Israel make it to Qatar in 2022.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    V funny - looking at the Olympics round up on the headlines all v nice then they seamlessly moved to fighters firing off their weapons in Aleppo (?) and it just looked like another Olympic sport..
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Awful chants are awful (I can't say I've heard that one, but I presume it is a chant), but they are not ever present, continuous, unceasing, and any other words meaning they never ever stopped. It would be fine if people blew on the damn things at key moments in celebratory fashion, or occasionally as part of a chant or taunt, but it was just a constant annoying buzz from start to finish, as though an irritatingly pitched roar for 90 minutes that covered up any other crowd reaction, and never peaked or troughed, was a good thing.

So the two situations are not in the least comparable in awfulness.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2016
    The gold medal for whinging about the Olympics clearly goes to SeanT, but silver and bronze are still in contention. My money is on Plato says...

The think that what spoiled WC 2010 was the crap ball that would not fly straight, and of course a woeful England performance.

I am rather enjoying the Rio show. Good effort!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Awful chants are awful (I can't say I've heard that one, but I presume it is a chant), but they are not ever present, continuous, unceasing, and any other words meaning they never ever stopped. It would be fine if people blew on the damn things at key moments in celebratory fashion, or occasionally as part of a chant or taunt, but it was just a constant annoying buzz.

I'm assuming you have never been in a hostile football stadium situation when the chants are never-ending and menacing.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Awful chants are awful (I can't say I've heard that one, but I presume it is a chant), but they are not ever present, continuous, unceasing, and any other words meaning they never ever stopped. It would be fine if people blew on the damn things at key moments in celebratory fashion, or occasionally as part of a chant or taunt, but it was just a constant annoying buzz.

I'm assuming you have never been in a hostile football stadium situation when the chants are never-ending and menacing.
    I'll grant you that, but my perspective is as a spectator trying to enjoy the tournaments on television, the way hundreds of millions of others do. Even near constant chanting is not literally constant and, even more irritating, unchanging. Vuvuzela blasting was. And so from the perspective of the audience, it is in fact much worse than hostile chanting. It takes a bit of effort to chant menacingly in unison, there will be pauses, quieter moments as new chants are picked up. Vuvuzelas require only that enough people blast the same unison note with no effort.

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in a football stadium. That doesn't make a bit of difference to the auditory experience being worse hearing a constant single pitch whine rather than background noise of raucous and hostile chanting.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,008
    Well done Jack Laughers and Chris Mears, adding to Jo Clarke's gold earlier.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I have.

We sung back.
  • Options

The gold medal for whinging about the Olympics clearly goes to SeanT, but silver and bronze are still in contention. My money is on Plato says...

The think that what spoiled WC 2010 was the crap ball that would not fly straight, and of course a woeful England performance.

I think the reality and shame of it is that an Olympic Games in a different time zone means interest is subdued.

We are dependent on what the broadcasters think important.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The next Olympics are in Tokyo, so should be extremely well organised
  • Options

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I have.

We sung back.
    Ha! And was the vuvuzela experience better or worse? I'm assuming that the issue was resolved for you outside the ground...
  • Options
    Dunno how Argentina got away without a yellow card then.
  • Options
    Hungary seem like they are punching above their weight, 4 golds out of 6 medals so far, seems like they generally have a very good gold to other medal ratio despite their size.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I think the reality and shame of it is that an Olympic Games in a different time zone means interest is subdued.

And we are getting some pretty woeful coverage from the BBC

Vapid presenters, too many repeats, and a lack of control over what they are getting on the feeds meaning we are not actually seeing key action because of bad choices being made by other broadcasters.

Plus the chopping and changing between BBC 1 and 2 is getting very old.
  • Options
    edited August 2016

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Russia may well have the right to host any international sport removed. And Qatar will just unravel as an utterly stupid idea.

They have at least moved Qatar's World Cup to the winter rather than having footballers play in over 40 degrees celcius in the height of their summer
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamea.

I'll grant you that, but my perspective is as a spectator trying to enjoy the tournaments on television, the way hundreds of millions of others do. Even near constant chanting is not literally constant and, even more irritating, unchanging. Vuvuzela blasting was. And so from the perspective of the audience, it is in fact much worse than hostile chanting. It takes a bit of effort to chant menacingly in unison, there will be pauses, quieter moments as new chants are picked up. Vuvuzelas require only that enough people blast the same unison note with no effort.

I'm sorry if you've had bad experiences in a football stadium. That doesn't make a bit of difference to the auditory experience being worse hearing a constant single pitch whine rather than background noise of raucous and hostile chanting.
    Yes I understand that.

I suppose it is similar to many developments in sport. Many cricket fans might for example bemoan the "barmy army" contributions to the game.

Anything that encourages engagement and enthusiasm for me is OK.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

On the other had for night owls who work in the daytime it is possible to watch more live than in 2012.

A lower budget, more restrained games with a few rough 3rd world edges is a pleasant novelty after a dangerous trend to ever more expense and showmanship.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

The bbc were saying you had to take two buses & walk a mile to get to one of the locations. Given the crime in Rio, thats taking a lot of chances to watch a sport that most Brazilians have never heard of, let alone participate.

The one positive (and also a negative) , in the UK we give every sport a go, even crazy shit like that going down the bobsled track on a tea tray when we don't even have a track.

Eddie the Eagle

The one competitor that stands out as an Olympic participant just as the founder intended. That single athlete did this country proud many many times over and fearless despite the danger.. It didn't matter that he came last. It really should have been arise Sir Eagle. He bloody earned it more that most that were touched on the shoulders with blade.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

They have at least moved Qatar's World Cup to the winter rather than having footballers play in over 40 degrees celcius in the height of their summer
    They have - but the result being a massive disruption to a lot of World Football - because of a corrupt decision to give Qatar the competition.

The 2018 and 22 decisions should have been thrown out when FIFA imploded. They were clearly tainted.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

The vuvuzelas were just a dull and unending and infuriating drone, killing all atmosphere, like playing an entire World Cup inside the exoskeleton of a bluebottle
    This. Hostile chanting can go too far, but chanting and taunting each other is part of atmosphere building. There can be nothing unique or rousing about an atmosphere when every game and every stadium is smothered beneath the oppressive droning of a vuvuzela.

Sorry to go on about it, but the mention of it just brought back memories of how terrible it was to watch. I really like to get invested in random matches in world cups, and I think for that one I ended up just putting games on mute while watching something else.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Er yeah, I have. Imaginative and abusive chanting is one of the glories of football, like clapping, swearing, rattling, scarf-waving, brawling, even flare-igniting

The vuvuzelas were just a dull and unending and infuriating drone, killing all atmosphere, like playing an entire World Cup inside the exoskeleton of a bluebottle
    Haha bless you. "Imaginative and abusive chanting".

You are *so* Primrose Hill.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

Eddie the Eagle

The one competitor that stands out as an Olympic participant just as the founder intended. That single athlete did this country proud many many times over and fearless despite the danger.. It didn't matter that he came last. It really should have been arise Sir Eagle. He bloody earned it more that most that were touched on the shoulders with blade.
    While that is true...we bloody won the tea tray event, which is just bonkers when you think about it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

They have - but the result being a massive disruption to a lot of World Football - because of a corrupt decision to give Qatar the competition.

The 2018 and 22 decisions should have been thrown out when FIFA imploded. They were clearly tainted.
    Though Qatar is one of the richest nations per capita in the world, so really it should be able to put on a half decent tournament
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

London permanent host. :)
    London was a brilliant host.

The best recent Olympics have been London, Sydney and Beijing in that order

Worst: Atlanta, Athens, LA, probably in that order

TOPPING said:

And we are getting some pretty woeful coverage from the BBC

Vapid presenters, too many repeats, and a lack of control over what they are getting on the feeds meaning we are not actually seeing key action because of bad choices being made by other broadcasters.

Plus the chopping and changing between BBC 1 and 2 is getting very old.
    I'm getting getting eight live channels from the BBC. There is choice, lots of it (and that's not including all the other sports that you can watch online).
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Moses_ said:

Eddie the Eagle

While that is true...we bloody won the tea tray event, which is just bonkers when you think about it.
    Indeed it is...as someone pointed out on the previous thread we always seem to excel in sitting lying down sports.
    :lol:
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Eddie the Eagle

The Eddie the Eagle (film) was surprisingly, very good and, I'll admit, may have required the odd man size tissue. – Didn’t even recognise Taron Egerton, of Kingsman fame until half way through.
  • Options
    I would take Chacha cricket over the those things from south Africa & I had to listen to uncle cricket chanting for 7hrs the other day.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamea.
    I seem to recall being told that disliking the constant, blaring. f***ing vuvuzelas was lacking appreciation of a dimagazine-37026844

Awful chant of a chant or taunt, but it was just a constant annoying buzz.

I'll grant you that, but my perspective is as a spectator trying to enjoy the tournaments on television, thee chanting.
    Yes I understand that.

I suppose it is similar to many developments in sport. Many cricket fans might for example bemoan the "barmy army" contributions to the game.

That's the thing though - maybe the South Africans feel it does that, but did it for others? I don't dislike it because it's new or roudy (I've no issue with the barmy army stuff, though you are right some do), it's because unending droning actively saps engagement and enthusiasm for me, and I am baffled if it did not for most others.

People do silly things to engage with their sports enthusiastically in ways that I would never do but I understand it's how they like to do it, I can see how it might enhance things for them, things like mexican waves. But vuvuzelas are one example where I honestly don't understand the appeal in the way in which they used them (as a constant drone, rather than intermittent).

Maybe it is a matter of taste, but I really struggle to see that. If I used an airhorn to blast our a tune melodically at a game it would piss off a lot of people, but would probably be bearable. If I blasted in a single note the entire game, however much enjoyment I'm getting from it, it that bearable?

But I've whined on it enough so will stop.

• Options
    edited August 2016
    Moses_ said:

Moses_ said:

Eddie the Eagle

Indeed it is...as someone pointed out on the previous thread we always seem to excel in sitting lying down sports.
    :lol:
    Efficiency that is what it is. Why run when you get a mechanical advantage.
  • Options
    I love sevens.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to retrue.

Er yeah, I have. Imaginative and abusive chanting is one of the glories of football, like clapping, swearing, rattling, scarf-waving, brawling, even flare-igniting

Have you BEEN to a football match? you dullard?

One of the great pleasures of a game is creative abuse from fans - of all sides. If your opponents come up with a funny, rude and downright obscene chant you laugh and applaud, no matter how insulting. You might then kick them in the head outside the pub later, but it all adds to the fun

Tedious unanimous vuvuzelas, no.
    hahaha hysterically funny you remind me of those Fast Show football fans.

"great pleasures of a game is creative abuse from fans". Priceless.

you really don't understand the essence of football do you.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    0-0 in the rugby sevens at full time...we are making a mess of this.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Though Qatar is one of the richest nations per capita in the world, so really it should be able to put on a half decent tournament
    I was working and living in Doha when it was announced. Even the locals were errr shocked. Any ways they soon got in the spirit and stated they would build all air conditioned stadia and practice areas. On completion of the tournament they were going to take them down and ship the lot to Africa and rebuild them.

Nice thought .....I can see some shall we say .....issues.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

It may be rather short of fan related vibrancy. Brazil 14 excelled at that.

Winter does make sense there, but will require either a winter break, or alternatively an interesting leveller of the playing field if club games continue similtaneously. Club rugby carries on during six nations etc.
  • Options
    One thing I think we can all agree on though, is that PMQs would lose of a lot of its charm without constant 'hear hear'ing. Chuntering is a key part of the experience!
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    That was the best moment of the Olympics so far, for me. Rugby 7s is fantastic. And the Olympics is the perfect forum for it.
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    kle4 said:

One thing I think we can all agree on though, is that PMQs would lose of a lot of its charm without constant 'hear hear'ing. Chuntering is a key part of the experience!

No it wouldn’t.
  • Options
    Japan playing amazing rugby in the 7s to make the semi final...repeat...Japan... rugby...semi finals!
  • Options
    podcast says latest poll 47 Leave 53 remain on SindyRef2. That gives me hope as I am repeatedly pessimistic (and still am) about the prospects for the UK Union, and I'd like to hope there would be some push back on the immediate reaction. I hope it continues, but we'll have to work damn hard to make it so, and convince Scotland it is still worth it.
  • Options
    Re Qatar

I also used to drive past the race track they intend to use for F1 when on my commute to work. It's in the middle of the desert though....

Oh and Qatar airways business / first really is 5 star.
  • Options
    Whitlock will definitely win a medal in the gymnastics, BBC1 now.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

Yes, given the next World Cups are in Russia and Qatar, and

I was working and living in Doha when it was announced. Even the locals were errr shocked. Any ways they soon got in the spirit and stated they would build all air conditioned stadia and practice areas. On completion of the tournament they were going to take them down and ship the lot to Africa and rebuild them.

Nice thought .....I can see some shall we say .....issues.
    Indeed but they can leave the rebuilding until after the tournament after which it is not our concern
  • Options

kle4 said:

No it wouldn’t.
    I was being slightly tongue in cheek - it doesn't bother me (or, I suspect, most people, given if they really cared politicians would change their behaviour - however everyone likes to complain about it), but I know it is not for everyone.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

It may be rather short of fan related vibrancy. Brazil 14 excelled at that.

Winter does make sense there, but will require either a winter break, or alternatively an interesting leveller of the playing field if club games continue similtaneously. Club rugby carries on during six nations etc.
    I expect they can import their fans if needed. I think Premiership football may take a break during the World Cup
  • Options
    edited August 2016

Chance of gold gone in the all around PE class event?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamea.
    C.
    I seem to recall being told that disliking the constant, blaring. f***ing vuvuzelas was lacking appreciation of a dimagazine-37026844

I'll grant you that, but my perspective is as a spectator trying to enjoy the tournaments on television, thee chanting.
    ontributions to the game.

That's the thing though - maybe the South Africans feel it does that, but did it for others? I don't dislike it because it's new or roudy (I've no issue with the barmy army stuff, though you are right some do), it's because unending droning actively saps engagement and enthusiasm for me, and I am baffled if it did not for most others.

People do silly things to engage with their sports enthusiastically in ways that I would never do but I understand it's how they like to do it, I can see how it might enhance things for them, things like mexican waves. But vuvuzelas are one example where I honestly don't understand the appeal in the way in which they used them (as a constant drone, rather than intermittent).

Maybe it is a matter of taste, but I really struggle to see that. If I used an airhorn to blast our a tune melodically at a game it would piss off a lot of people, but would probably be bearable. If I blasted in a single note the entire game, however much enjoyment I'm getting from it, it that bearable?

But I've whined on it enough so will stop.

Not whining - it's what the twilight zone PB is all about. I absolutely understand that, I suppose my point is that each person has their own perspective about what is critical to their enjoyment.

How about this?

The England Brass band - annoying the bejesus out of anyone
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to retrue.

Awful c

Have

Twit.

As a schoolboy and teen I was a die-hard fan of Hereford United. When they went from non league obscurity to Division Two (when I saw them play away and beat Notts Forest!!!), then right back to non league obscurity.

Ten years wrapped in a scarf, watching my team explode and implode. I was so keen I used to go to RESERVE matches, Yes. Hereford United. Reserves. lol. Edgar Street and the Meadowend.

You?
    wearing a scarf is the first give-away.
  • Options

Japan playing amazing rugby in the 7s to make the semi final...repeat...Japan... rugby...semi finals!

In the 15-a-side game, the more established teams usually win. But 7s is much less technical - you don't have to have spent a lifetime learning the game; it's all speed; quick thinking; fitness; one quick moment of inspiration. Rugby reduced to its essence. So the less established nations often do well, and there is much less of a gulf between the likes of New Zealand and the likes of the USA. I don't want to suggest that the 15-man game is imperfect, but for tis reason 7s can be a bit more interesting.

That said, Japan have made such great strides in the 15-man game recently that to lump them in with the also-rans seems a bit unfair. They're in the semis on merit.

If GB don't win it, I hope Fiji do, if only because Fiji get few chances to win Olympic golds.
  • Options
    The best bit about the Olympics is channel hopping between random sports. Why are the South Koreans so good at archery?
  • Options
    Cookie said:

That was the best moment of the Olympics so far, for me. Rugby 7s is fantastic. And the Olympics is the perfect forum for it.

I was convinced the British girls had Velcro on their hands. They need to have a chat with the England squad about catching and holding

No point with the Scottish squad of course *nervously looks around for Malc*
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I blamea.
    C.

ontributions to the game.

That's the thing though - maybe the South Africans feel it does that, but did it for others? I don't
    Not whining - it's what the twilight zone PB is all about. I absolutely understand that, I suppose my point is that each person has their own perspective about what is critical to their enjoyment.

How about this?

The England Brass band - annoying the bejesus out of anyone
    Yes, that's fair. Variety is the spice of life.
  • Options

The best bit about the Olympics is channel hopping between random sports. Why are the South Koreans so good at archery?

I remember that from last time - S. Korea getting very high up the medal table very early as a result of the fondness for an arrow.
    Why is archery an Olympic sport and Darts not? The world is missing out.
  • Options

Yep - Japan take gold. Whitlock takes bronze - first all round medal since 1908.
  • Options
    I've just been advised to be calm by SeanT. I feel this is an epochal moment for me. :)
  • Options

Bronze. I think they said earlier GB hasn't won a medal in all around since 1908.
  • Options

Yep - Japan take gold. Whitlock takes bronze - first all round medal since 1908.
    That Bronze is harder work than many of the golds that will be won.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

podcast says latest poll 47 Leave 53 remain on SindyRef2. That gives me hope as I am repeatedly pessimistic (and still am) about the prospects for the UK Union, and I'd like to hope there would be some push back on the immediate reaction. I hope it continues, but we'll have to work damn hard to make it so, and convince Scotland it is still worth it.

Be calm.

Brexit actually makes iScotland harder to achieve (I'd say MUCH harder)

This is especially true if it turns (as I think it will) into a game of Us versus Them, a story of the plucky independent islanders facing the nasty arrogant Eurocrats. The natural reaction will be for Brits to come together, and think foul scorn of non Brits.

It will unite us (the hardcore 30% of iScots excepted, of course). This complicates any 2nd Sindyref, enormously, on a basic emotional level.
    "foul scorn".. very apt!
  • Options
    Dave repeating the infamous "Call my Euro Bluff" QI episode now. Well, we certainly did, didn't we.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @SeanT

'German politicians minded to ban the burqa/niqab

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/aug/10/german-minister-to-propose-ban-on-full-face-veils-in-wake-of-attacks

Everything I have proposed as a solution to European Islamism - ban burqa, ban sharia, restrict halal butchery, stop foreign funding of mosques, jail hate speakers, close Muslim schools, close all hardline mosques - will become the norm across Europe in the next ten years.'

Long overdue.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

No it wouldn’t.
    I was being slightly tongue in cheek - it doesn't bother me (or, I suspect, most people, given if they really cared politicians would change their behaviour - however everyone likes to complain about it), but I know it is not for everyone.
    I was being totally tongue in cheek – Whenever I see someone write “One thing I think we can all agree” it always makes me baulk. Tis a Pavlovian response, ignore.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

That Bronze is harder work than many of the golds that will be won.
    It is a very gruelling event - incredible skill on show. First time I've watched it all the way through.
  • Options

The south Korean women have won gold in every team archery event ever held & I think it is 14 out of 15 for the individual.

I don't know for certain but it might be for a similar reason that they dominant womens speed skating. Apparently they south Korean authorities targeted events they thought best suited Korean body types then pumped huge funding into them & then don't bother at all with other sports...rather than in Britain if it's a sport we give it a go.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to retrue.

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

As a schoolboy and teen I was a die-hard fan of Hereford United. When they went from non league obscurity to Division Two (when I saw them play away and beat Notts Forest!!!), then right back to non league obscurity.

Ten years wrapped in a scarf, watching my team explode and implode. I was so keen I used to go to RESERVE matches, Yes. Hereford United. Reserves. lol. Edgar Street and the Meadowend.

You?
    Heh. You didn't. Did you? Be honest.

You never went to proper matches in crappy grounds eating disgusting pies and having ludicrous fights. I did, for years. I was a very rubbish hooligan for a while.

You didn't. You did none of this.
    Sean, sweetie, you are embarrassing yourself.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited August 2016
    Male British gymnasts can no longer sing "A hundred and eight years of hurt...."
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

The south Korean women have won gold in every team archery event ever held & I think it is 14 out of 15 for the individual.

I don't know for certain but it might be for a similar reason that they dominant womens speed skating. Apparently they south Korean authorities targeted events they thought best suited Korean body types then pumped huge funding into them & then don't bother at all with other sports...rather than in Britain if it's a sport we give it a go.
    Hm, I wonder what sport is best suited for British body types... :D
  • Options

They practice a lot.

Secret of most sports really.
  • Options
    We have also won a bronze in the pyjama wrestling.

Apparently a local stole one of the men's judo medalists phones in restaurant...said judo player gave chase & caught him...judo player got black eye...only can imagine what happened to the Brazilian.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

TOPPING said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

tlg86 said:

SeanT said:

I seem to retrue.

Awful c
    Er yeah, a bluebottle

Have

Twit.

You?
    Heh. You didn't. Did you? Be honest.

You never went to proper matches in crappy grounds eating disgusting pies and having ludicrous fights. I did, for years. I was a very rubbish hooligan for a while.

You didn't. You did none of this.
    Hereford Utd at Edgar Street perchance?
  • Options
    I like the idea that some Labour CLPs in heavy Tory areas are voting Corbyn because those were only every full of die hards anyway, given winning seats there is hopeless, it's sort of inspiring for people to not give up passion despite being in areas not suited for their politics.

Also, the rather casual comment about someone having bad luck to be a woman in a Labour election (and so come last) was brutal.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Really embarrassing that Olympic venues don't have a roof because they couldn't afford one - meaning events are being cancelled.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

Be calm.

Brexit actually makes iScotland harder to achieve (I'd say MUCH harder)

This is especially true if it turns (as I think it will) into a game of Us versus Them, a story of the plucky independent islanders facing the nasty arrogant Eurocrats. The natural reaction will be for Brits to come together, and think foul scorn of non Brits.

It will unite us (the hardcore 30% of iScots excepted, of course). This complicates any 2nd Sindyref, enormously, on a basic emotional level.
    Mm - probably agree. But - and this is most unfair on the Scot-remaining majority - I'm not sure I want a Scotland as part of the UK where 30% of the population are hardcore refusniks who perhaps no longer consent to be governed.
    I like Scotland. But it's not going to go sailing off into the Arctic Ocean. It will still be just as close as and when it becomes an independent country. Liking a country needn't mean a political union with it is necessarily a good thing.
This discussion has been closed.