Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the LDs crucial economy debate new polling pu

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the LDs crucial economy debate new polling puts more pressure on Clegg

Unlike the red and blue teams the LD conference has a formal policy making function with the result, as we’ve seen in the past, that it can embarrass the leadership.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    edited September 2013
    I'm going to repost this on this thread then leave it alone. It's not because I think it's especially brilliant but because I think there's a proper debate to be had about this.

WHY MIKE SMITHSON IS WRONG (1/3)

A trend on pb lately has been polling micro-focus. It's a trend which probably began Stateside, and which to an extent has been taken up by Michael Ashcroft. Nowhere now does it more regularly (some might say monotonaously) than pb.com. In particular the trend has emerged of focusing on the 2010 LibDem voters, something which perhaps suits Smithson as a LibDem.

I don't have the time to do a proper hatchet job on this theory, and I'll leave it to others to pick up the cudgel, or rather cudgels, for this micro-focus has many flaws. All I will do here is set out a number of reasons why it is a dead-end alley. Some of these are obvious but need re-stating, others may be less so. These apply to General Election polling.

1. Polls are rarely accurate. Election after election they get it wrong. Much has been made of a so-called 'gold standard' pollster, when in reality it generally means this pollster was lucky enough to stick the tail the right place on the donkey's arse three times in a row. What's that? The fourth time it wasn't so good? There's a surprise.

2. To an extent this isn't the pollsters fault. Until the night before the vote, when they rarely poll, they are attempting something artificial, namely: 'how would you vote if there were a General Election tomorrow?' Well there isn't going to be a General Election tomorrow, and 9/10ths of the population, actually make that 99/100ths of the population, have no interest in the question whatsoever, which leads me to

3. Most people don't care about politics. It's very very boring. It has become even more so over the last twenty years. Actually it's deathly dull to most people. So unless there's a genuine local campaign (viz NIMBY) like HS2 they would much rather be watching / listening to / doing other things. No-one but anoraks go around thinking about how they would vote tomorrow.

4. It's all about floating voters, of which I'm one, unlike almost everyone else on pb.com. I've voted for all three main parties. We are the people who decide the election because we're pliable. Unlike almost all other floating voters I find politics interesting, probably because I studied it. Other floaters don't.
  • Options
    WHY MIKE SMITHSON IS WRONG (2/3)

5. People forget and lie. This is the most important so far. As point 4 I am interested in politics yet I, yep me who took politics, cannot remember how I voted last time. I 'think' I voted LibDem but I'm not actually sure. I might have voted Labour. I either can't fully remember or I have selective memory based on the fact that the LibDems have proved bitterly disappointing. But I'm not sure. I know I vote differently in different elections, and that I have voted for all three parties at least once in the last ten years. See, I'm a floater. But am I a 2010 LibDem voter? That might be what I'd tell the pollster, but I'm not sure.

6. Allied to the fact people forget and lie is the way the voting electorate changes. Around 30 million people vote in a General Election, but they're not the same 30 million. In fact it's surprisingly fluid. People die, move away, others become new voters, some voted last time but won't next and vice versa.

7. So what's the lesson to draw from all this? It's as follows:
  • Options
    RicardohosRicardohos Posts: 258
    edited September 2013
    WHY MIKE SMITHSON IS WRONG (3/3)

I. Do not focus on the minutaie. The more you do the more inaccurate you become. No, the election is NOT just about how many 2010 alleged LibDems switch or don't. That is to look at fern seed a mile away and miss the elephant standing right in front of you.

II. What it IS about is trends. This is the only value in mid-term polling. What are the trends happening? Who is losing support, who is gaining? What are the leads and deficits? These are the key questions.

III. Second to point II are the key associated questions about trust and popularity. Who do you most trust to run the economy and which leader is most liked / disliked. This last question is incredibly important. The General Election IS a like/dislike contest, something that only becomes apparent in the last 4-6 weeks of the campaign when most floaters firm up. Again, look for trends. It's not about levels, it's about trends.

The rest is froth and bubble. In a way, I don't care. In another way I do because this has been a great site and it's deteriorating by too much micro-focus and not enough trend focus, which when driven by an undeniable bias towards LibDems is skewing objective analysis. So in summary:

The trend is your friend. Watch for economic trust and for like / dislike trends.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Matthew d’Ancona in the Telegraph - The Lib Dems know their future lies in power-sharing
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    In Fairfax Clive Palmer's margin is down to 209 votes, and in Indi Sophie Mirabella's deficit is now only 449:

http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-17496-160.htm
    http://vtr.aec.gov.au/HouseDivisionFirstPrefs-17496-218.htm
  • Options
    I wonder how many Lib Dem councillors, MPs, MSPs, AMs, MEPs, members and voters miss Charlie Kennedy?

Now, who was it who knifed him again?
  • Options
    In response to Ed in Tokyo from previous thread, I don't entirely trust Exit Polls either. They're better because you are 1. catching people just after they actually voted not before they say they are and 2. it's the actual day. But even they're not totally reliable, and certainly not for projecting 2, 3, 4 or 5 years on.
  • Options

I. Do not focus on the minutaie. The more you do the more inaccurate you become. No, the election is NOT just about how many 2010 alleged LibDems switch or don't. That is to look at fern seed a mile away and miss the elephant standing right in front of you.

II. What it IS about is trends. This is the only value in mid-term polling. What are the trends happening? Who is losing support, who is gaining? What are the leads and deficits? These are the key questions.

III. Second to point II are the key associated questions about trust and popularity. Who do you most trust to run the economy and which leader is most liked / disliked. This last question is incredibly important. The General Election IS a like/dislike contest, something that only becomes apparent in the last 4-6 weeks of the campaign when most floaters firm up. Again, look for trends. It's not about levels, it's about trends.

The rest is froth and bubble. In a way, I don't care. In another way I do because this has been a great site and it's deteriorating by too much micro-focus and not enough trend focus, which when driven by an undeniable bias towards LibDems is skewing objective analysis. So in summary:

The trend is your friend. Watch for economic trust and for like / dislike trends.

These days, whenever you hear folk saying PB and great site, it is nearly always in the past tense. I think that its heyday was the period from launch up until about 2008. It has been a long slow decline since then. Mike made a few key errors back around 2008-2009 which gave the strong impression that Tory commentators could, unchallenged, say what the heck they liked, whereas Labour and SNP commentators had to live by harsher rulebooks. That skewing of the playing field has, untackled over several years, crippled the reputation of the blog.

From a brand management perspective, it would probably be fairly straightforward to right the ship, and for PB to go on to future media glory. However, it would require the owner to first acknowledge the problem and secondly to implement remedial measures. Nobody is holding their breath.
  • Options

In response to Ed in Tokyo from previous thread, I don't entirely trust Exit Polls either. They're better because you are 1. catching people just after they actually voted not before they say they are and 2. it's the actual day. But even they're not totally reliable, and certainly not for projecting 2, 3, 4 or 5 years on.

I don't mean to project years in advance, I mean to settle a bet right after the election. I think we have meaningful micro information pointing to 2010 LibDems breaking for Lab. You don't think we do, because polling has too many problems. So it seems like a good thing to frame a bet about.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited September 2013
    Andy_JS said:

In Fairfax Clive Palmer's margin is down to 209 votes, and in Indi Sophie Mirabella's deficit is now only 449:

Once it gets to 92% it is almost all over. Note 768 votes went missing from Coolum, where Clive Palmer's resort is based and where he would pick up almost all the votes as huge local employer. Mugabe like? He says so, so we shall see.

Indi had 1000 go missing as well, AEC not covering themselves in glory.
  • Options

I don't mean to project years in advance, I mean to settle a bet right after the election. I think we have meaningful micro information pointing to 2010 LibDems breaking for Lab. You don't think we do, because polling has too many problems. So it seems like a good thing to frame a bet about.
    Exit polls in Oz were 53.5 to 46.5. That will be precise. Currently 53.4 and rising a little with postals.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    @Dickson

"These days, whenever you hear folk saying PB and great site, it is nearly always in the past tense. I think that its heyday was the period from launch up until about 2008. It has been a long slow decline since then. Mike made a few key errors back around 2008-2009 which gave the strong impression that Tory commentators could, unchallenged, say what the heck they liked, whereas Labour and SNP commentators had to live by harsher rulebooks. That skewing of the playing field has, untackled over several years, crippled the reputation of the blog.

From a brand management perspective, it would probably be fairly straightforward to right the ship, and for PB to go on to future media glory. However, it would require the owner to first acknowledge the problem and secondly to implement remedial measures. Nobody is holding their breath."

Lol: After reading the above you have to be convinced OGH has clearly got things about right.
  • Options
    The Bavarian exit poll put the CSU on 49% and they got 47.7% so not perfect but okay.
  • Options
    It'll be interesting to see whether the Australian election ends up being 54-46 to the nearest whole percentage point.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Exit polls in Oz were 53.5 to 46.5. That will be precise. Currently 53.4 and rising a little with postals.
    As it says on the AEC webpage, the current 2PP totals don't yet include the 10 seats where the two main parties didn't occupy the top two positions. Most of those should give a big lead to the Coalition when eventually tallied. The exceptions are Batman, Denison and Melbourne.
  • Options

It's as if I didn't write anything below. Fern seed and elephants ...
  • Options

It's as if I didn't write anything below. Fern seed and elephants ...
    Are you saying the 2010 LibDems point isn't right or are you just saying it isn't big enough to matter? I take you to be saying both, since you've got all this stuff about why you don't trust opinion polls.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    edited September 2013
    I see our resident Swede has failed again when it comes to understanding freedom and democracy (not least upon t'Internet). OGH's light-handedness may not sit comfortably with his "Stuart Little" world-view but, then again, he has been let back into our parish and he is free to leave if he feels uncomfortable.

:please-do-not-slam-the-door-on-your-way-out-thank-you:
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

I wonder how many Lib Dem councillors, MPs, MSPs, AMs, MEPs, members and voters miss Charlie Kennedy?

Now, who was it who knifed him again?

Nobody.

Charlie hit himself over the head with an empty whisky bottle.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    @Richardos

To some extent I would agree - watch for trends, what for subsidiaries (particularly on the big issues that people have a view on - the economy and the PM). The economy is the best way to project trends - assuming that it impacts personal standards of living/environment and isn't just a macro number. Views on PM is, for me, the single most important factor because, increasingly (excluding the tribal) elections come down to a vote on twho you want to be the PM.

However, it's fair to say that the election will likely be determined on two broad groups: will the 'new UKIP' voters hold their noses and vote Cameron (I believe a lot will) and will LD defectors retun home in 2015 (I suspect a lot will move to NOTA). There is a danger of over analysis of micro details - which OGH's approach does risk - but he is trying to illuminate the main debate. Equally it is clear that politicians are framing their strategy around these points (eg, arguably Ed M on Syria) so it is helpful from that perspective.

In conclusion: as with all things polls are useful but only one data point. Slicing and dicing data can lead to statistical weaknesses (especially if the study isn't powered for result but issues are identified by post hoc entrail-stirring).
  • Options
    First McARSE Scottish Independence Referendum Projection :

Countdown : 2 days 2 hours 2 minutes
  • Options
    Perhaps it should be mentioned that the YouGov poll featured in this thread was commissioned by the Labour Uncut blog.
  • Options
    It cannot be repeated often enough - many so called Lib Dens in 2010 were Labour voters who voted tactically - and guess what? They're not happy! As to their motivation in 2015, time will tell, but their likely choices are going to be I) vote Miliband or II) sit in their hands....

In the meantime, I would not worry too much about what they think of the Lib Dems - they've gone, and they're not coming back......
  • Options
    O/T
    According to the Indy, Damian McBride's memoirs, Power Trip: A Decade of Policy, Plots and Spin is rather surprisingly being published by Iain Dale, formerly of this parish, who apparently offered serialisation rights to the right wing press on the basis of their submitting sealed bids. TSE and others on here suggested recently that the Daily Mail had won this contest and that excerpts would appear around the end of this week to coincide with the Labour Party Conference.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    I remember a Lib Dem leader who was subject to great ridicule when he told his party to go back to their constituencies and prepare for government. Well, guess what, they're governing now and it is Nick Clegg that got them there (with a fairly large slice of luck). Furthermore, if the polls are at all accurate there is a better than even chance they will be governing next time as well.

There will no doubt be some Lib Dems who hanker after the days of ideological purity that one can indulge in in opposition. There are probably some Lib Dems who have not left who find Osborne economics an anathema. I heard one of Pienaar's politics on Sunday. But the majority will be delighted that their decisions have a real chance of becoming the law of the land. Really delighted. We should not forget that.

I expect Clegg to win today and fairly comfortably. The debate seems quite poorly focussed with the consequences of the amendment being unclear. Lib Dems have to work extra hard to make Coalitions work. If they don't they really don't have a reason to exist any more and they will fade away. So far they have done a pretty good job.
  • Options
    felix said:

@Dickson

"These days, whenever you hear folk saying PB and great site, it is nearly always in the past tense. I think that its heyday was the period from launch up until about 2008. It has been a long slow decline since then. Mike made a few key errors back around 2008-2009 which gave the strong impression that Tory commentators could, unchallenged, say what the heck they liked, whereas Labour and SNP commentators had to live by harsher rulebooks. That skewing of the playing field has, untackled over several years, crippled the reputation of the blog.

From a brand management perspective, it would probably be fairly straightforward to right the ship, and for PB to go on to future media glory. However, it would require the owner to first acknowledge the problem and secondly to implement remedial measures. Nobody is holding their breath."

Lol: After reading the above you have to be convinced OGH has clearly got things about right.

Felix - precisely what I was thinking, after I had ceased ROFLing!
  • Options
    Stuart you sound as if you're still miffed that OGH put you on the naughty step for a while.

I am not aware of any anti-lefty moderation policy. We get tim and MickPork and BenM and the others here all day every day day. The lefty vs righty banter is as good as ever.

It's the Nat tendency that bores and won't face facts. It's going to be a big fat 'NO'. I hope the Scottish banter moves to one of what happens after the No vote - devomax, EV4EL, etc. That's where the interest lies.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

It cannot be repeated often enough - many so called Lib Dens in 2010 were Labour voters who voted tactically - and guess what? They're not happy! As to their motivation in 2015, time will tell, but their likely choices are going to be I) vote Miliband or II) sit in their hands....

In the meantime, I would not worry too much about what they think of the Lib Dems - they've gone, and they're not coming back......

Not only were they Labour, they were possibly the most stupid voters on the planet. If we accept that the 6% switchers were really Lab voters having a sulk the clever tactical voting on the Left looks nothing of the sort. Transfer 6% of LD votes from LD to Labour and then run Baxter and the clever tactical voters delivered the result they didn't want. It's the leftwing equivalent of UKIP.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    On the 2010 Lib Dem obsession Mike has explained his position often enough and he has been brave enough to put his money where his mouth is. I don't agree with that analysis for many of the reasons that Ricardohos sets out but I respect his experience and judgement and read carefully what he says.

My fundamental problem is that I see the electorate as more volatile and less block like than this analysis presumes. It seems slightly old fashioned to me, more from the days when voting was strongly tribal and a matter of class loyalty. But we have to accept that many very successful analysts in the US continue to use these kinds of classifications with considerable success. The next election will be interesting.

Re PB, my only concern is that there is too much personal abuse directed at posters of all persuasions. It is boring, unproductive and probably discourages the wider range of views and comments that we need. I think the moderators do try hard to stop this but arguably could do more. It is a challenge because the free rein given to posters to post what they like is probably the site's greatest attraction.
  • Options
    It would be interesting to hear from reasonable Labour and Conservative-leaning posters on here why they would not vote for the LibDems. If you are away from the extremes of left and right, what is it about them that turns you off? What would they need to do to win your vote?
  • Options

Equally, some although probably fewer, would have been Tories voting tactically for the LibDems in 2010, who may or may not do likewise in 2015.

Simple logic dictates that both these two factions questioned in isolation 20 months before a GE are very likely to indicate their true party preference - a very large pinch of salt is therefore required when interpreting the findings of this poll.

• Options

Equally, some although probably fewer, would have been Tories voting tactically for the LibDems in 2010, who may or may not do likewise in 2015.

Simple logic dictates that both these two factions questioned in isolation 20 months before a GE are very likely to indicate their true party preference - a very large pinch of salt is therefore required when interpreting the findings of this poll.

Oddly when Ashcroft does his squeeze question that asks people to think about their constituency specifically, 2% of the 10% or so UKIP voters in Con/Lab marginals seem to abandon UKIP and make a tactical jump to... the LibDems.
  • Options

It would be interesting to hear from reasonable Labour and Conservative-leaning posters on here why they would not vote for the LibDems. If you are away from the extremes of left and right, what is it about them that turns you off? What would they need to do to win your vote?

Three things turn me off (and I am a moderate Tory).

- The SDP wing: I might be sorely tempted to vote for a Orange book Liberal (with a capital L) party, but too often the likes of Cable strike me as old fashioned politicians who want to "intervene before breakfast, lunch and dinner" [and yes, that was deliberate]

- The pro EU stance as a matter of philosophy. At the moment I am a reluctant in voter. I think the benefits just about outweigh the costs, but I don't like the direction of travel. But surely EU membership should be a cost-benefit discussion rather than a philosophy. It seems like they don't have confidence in Britain

- Their ability to face both ways: to be Tory light in the SW and SE and to be Labour-light in the North. Gives the impression they are a bunch of chancers

• Options
    JJ

Am I a 'reasonable' Tory leaning poster? (I certainly criticise Dave n George often enough). I'm an economically dry social libertarian. So, FWIW, here's my anti LD view:

I like and respect in a political party a clear and consistent view of who they are and what they represent. It seems to me that the yellows like to be on both sides of the fence at once. This worked OK in opposition when voters could hang on them whatever image they liked. But the fundamental pushmepullyou disconnect between Orange Bookers and outright lefties is not viable in a governing party. This is, of course, why the left and right within the LibDem party have gone different ways and they're trashed.

Some commenter the other day said the LibDems are a party that wants to ban smoking but allow anybody to carry national secrets through Heathrow! They just need to grow up.

My other BIG beef is around freedom and liberty. I detest the state and its incursions into our lives. I was genuinely hoping that this government would have a Great Repeal Act and wash away a whole bunch of the Labour years' nanny state legislation. It hasn't happened. The 'Liberal' in the party name seems a lie. Can anyone think of a single pro-personal freedom anti state control law being mooted by Clegg? I can't.

Oh ....and they've sold their souls (and minds) to the EU and Green religions.
  • Options
    Huzzah for the Anglosphere! All top 10 Universities in the world are English speaking. (4 out of top 6 in the UK). 34 out of top 50. At least one area we can still claim to lead the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

I and most of the people I know never give any information to people who sit outside polling stations (not even our polling number) and if asked by a pollster how we voted always say we voted Loony or some other minor candidate.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Sadly for OGH and our LibDem chums, I doubt it has registered with most of the population that the LibDems are holding a conference and that it is in Glasgow. For those of us who are interested in politics, the coverage has been pretty downbeat. News has shown the "rent--a-Lefties" picketing over the spare room subsidy but that's about all I can say I have seen and remembered.

Jeremy Brown's call for banning the face veil among children will probably get Kippers very excited but that's about it. People, certainly in Scotland, are just not interested in what the LibDems have to say.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Huzzah for the Anglosphere! All top 10 Universities in the world are English speaking. (4 out of top 6 in the UK). 34 out of top 50. At least one area we can still claim to lead the world.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2013#sorting=rank+region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

So if we're producing such genius in the UK and US how come our economies are shit ?
  • Options

I don't think the Liberals have actually ever stood for anything and now they are LibDems, they stand for even less. In Scotland since 1987 they have been the soft option for people who would vote Tory but don't want to anymore, hence all the Tory voters turning Tory seats into LibDem seats. In other parts of Scotland before the growth of the SNP they provided a outlet for moderate Labour supporters to protest but the SNP has shut that avenue off.

We hear Orange book LibDems like Jeremy Brown talk as tough as Michael Howard and ex-Labour LibDems like Vince Cable talk as economically "wet" as Ed Balls. To me the LibDems simply want to be the "neither of the other 2" party and right now the Kippers are trying to push them aside from that space.

As I type this, the SKY 2nd news item is the LibDem leader openly disagreeing with his Home Office colleague on a proposal Jeremy Brown hasn't actually announced yet other than in private.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I hope the Scottish banter moves to one of what happens after the No vote - devomax, EV4EL, etc. That's where the interest lies.

That may or may not be the case. We can be sure there are large numbers of posters who will have nothing of interest to say about these things.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Have the Lib Dems changed for the better or worse......I had a drink yesterday with someone who voted for the libs in 2010 and who now tells me he now can't stand the sound of Clegg's voice.

I told him i couldn't understand where he was coming from because if he hadn't voted Clegg he would have voted Cameron and he got both. He simply said he didn't expect a party leader that he had voted for to be a liar.....

You've just got to feel sorry for politicians with an electorate like that!
  • Options
    Roger said:

Have the Lib Dems changed for the better or worse......I had a drink yesterday with someone who voted for the libs in 2010 and who now tells me he now can't stand the sound of Clegg's voice.

I told him i couldn't understand where he was coming from because if he hadn't voted Clegg he would have voted Cameron and he got both. He simply said he didn't expect a party leader that he had voted for to be a liar.....

You've just got to feel sorry for politicians with an electorate like that!

Oh dear, I hope he doesn't work in advertising !
  • Options
    Since the subject of Scottish independence has come up, the secret strategy of the Yes camp has been revealed by Pat Kane:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/15/scottish-independence-amazing-referendum

It's to unleash the luvvies:

"Watch also for the role of artists and creatives at this local level. This constituency is wired to cope with confident leaps into the early dawn (thus their general support for independence), and relishes the opportunity to engage with those who face both ways on the question."

For some reason I picture the cause for independence being brought to the people through the medium of interpretative dance.

(The article is otherwise a good one from a pro-independence perspective of the flavour that James Kelly would recognise.)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    edited September 2013
    REPEAT POST
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926
    antifrank said:

Since the subject of Scottish independence has come up, the secret strategy of the Yes camp has been revealed by Pat Kane:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2013/sep/15/scottish-independence-amazing-referendum

It's to unleash the luvvies:

"Watch also for the role of artists and creatives at this local level. This constituency is wired to cope with confident leaps into the early dawn (thus their general support for independence), and relishes the opportunity to engage with those who face both ways on the question."

For some reason I picture the cause for independence being brought to the people through the medium of interpretative dance.

(The article is otherwise a good one from a pro-independence perspective of the flavour that James Kelly would recognise.)

Well we all saw how well Yes2AV went with full support from these types...
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Stuart you sound as if you're still miffed that OGH put you on the naughty step for a while.

I am not aware of any anti-lefty moderation policy. We get tim and MickPork and BenM and the others here all day every day day. The lefty vs righty banter is as good as ever.

It's the Nat tendency that bores and won't face facts. It's going to be a big fat 'NO'. I hope the Scottish banter moves to one of what happens after the No vote - devomax, EV4EL, etc. That's where the interest lies.

Patrick I am a dyed in the wool unionist and I am far from confident that the Scots will vote No. Salmond is playing a blinder. He doesn't answer any of the difficult questions and the constituency he is appealing to, the CDEs simply don't care. He is already building the "everything those nasty English Tories and their LibDem lackies do, we can prevent in Scotland" theme. It will only grow and grow. In somewhere like Glasgow where 30% of households don't work, his money for doing nothing mantra goes down well.

Regardless of all the arguments and any logic, if on 17th September 2014 the Rangers and Celtic football team captains/managers etc and the front pages of the Daily Record and the Scottish Sun tell Scots to vote Yes, Eck will win by a landslide. Don't underestimate the ability of the unionist parties to hand it to the Yes campaign. We already see the London based parties positioning themselves for GE2015. In a year's time there will be even less interest in Scotland and far more on the opinions of marginal seat voters in the midlands, north-west of England etc.
  • Options

Patrick said:

So if we're producing such genius in the UK and US how come our economies are shit ?
    For British universities, the problem is we are sliding down the research tables. The decline did not start under this government but the Chancellor has not helped by cutting research funding while our international competitors are increasing it. Nor are we adept at commercialising research breakthroughs. Next time you read about a medical or scientific breakthrough or innovative product, check which country it comes from. It won't often be Britain.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Because their political and cultural elites are captured by self serving rent seekers. US and UK overspending, rent seeking at the top (eg bankers / too big to fail / BBC leadership / union bosses / etc) and at the bottom (entitlements mindset) has created welfare ponzi schemes. What can't go on won't go on - but there are precious few votes in telling the truth and even less in doing something about it. (And I suspect the press is partly guilty there). We need a much more unashamedly dry economic governance in the US and UK - a government for 'Main Street' not 'Wall Street' and repairing the living standards of the middle class.
  • Options

Patrick said:

For British universities, the problem is we are sliding down the research tables. The decline did not start under this government but the Chancellor has not helped by cutting research funding while our international competitors are increasing it. Nor are we adept at commercialising research breakthroughs. Next time you read about a medical or scientific breakthrough or innovative product, check which country it comes from. It won't often be Britain.
    Most of the issues which have damaged the UK and US aren't medical or scientific, they're economic. And the people causing the screw ups came from our best and brightest universities. So really are they that good ?
  • Options

Jeremy Brown's call for banning the face veil among children will probably get Kippers very excited but that's about it. People, certainly in Scotland, are just not interested in what the LibDems have to say.

I really don't like to see children or women fully veiled, but it's not my place, or the place of the state to say they can't wear it. Whilst I can agree that in certain circumstances, such as an interview, or working in retail, or in a Court, there might be an issue, what are the justifications for the proposed ban? As long as the wearer can prove their identity, what's the problem? Proving that identity might take longer, involving chaperones and suchlike, but still relatively straightforward.
    I'm not convinced of the security argument, but admittedly , don't know the stats for robberies/muggings/murders/terrorism carried out whilst burka clad.
    The feminist/women's rights issue is also something I can understand, but that's not as simple as it's made out to be, and way beyond my paygrade.

We've got many problems on the streets of the UK, but anecdotally, burka clad women have never caused me any.

• Options
    I still can't believe Ashcroft's poll shows labour ahead on the economy and jobs....
  • Options
    Charles said:

will the 'new UKIP' voters hold their noses and vote Cameron (I believe a lot will)

My offer of complacency consultancy is still open Charles.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Because their political and cultural elites are captured by self serving rent seekers. US and UK overspending, rent seeking at the top (eg bankers / too big to fail / BBC leadership / union bosses / etc) and at the bottom (entitlements mindset) has created welfare ponzi schemes. What can't go on won't go on - but there are precious few votes in telling the truth and even less in doing something about it. (And I suspect the press is partly guilty there). We need a much more unashamedly dry economic governance in the US and UK - a government for 'Main Street' not 'Wall Street' and repairing the living standards of the middle class.
    Or maybe just the Unis aren't worth as much as they think. The economic crisis wasn't caused by blokes with a CSE in woodwork but by blokes with Oxbridge degrees and Harvard MBAs. Maybe we'd be better off if we closed all the "top" institutions down.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Because for every genius we produce we produce a thousand times as much dross.

The genius then decides not to stay here and subsidise the dross but instead moves to a country with higher living standards and/or lower taxes.
  • Options
    Has the wine salesman/farmer/whatever he pretends to be today from Liverpool/wherever else ever posted a comment on here without insulting someone/people? He really is an odious individual if indeed he is an individual and not a department in Labour Party HQ
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    edited September 2013

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

Or maybe just the Unis aren't worth as much as they think. The economic crisis wasn't caused by blokes with a CSE in woodwork but by blokes with Oxbridge degrees and Harvard MBAs. Maybe we'd be better off if we closed all the "top" institutions down.
    Likewise the most useless political generation Britain can ever remember is all adorned with Oxford PPEs.
  • Options

Patrick said:

The genius then decides not to stay here and subsidise the dross but instead moves to a country with higher living standards and/or lower taxes.
    I emphasise that 'dross' includes the parasites at the top as much as the parasites at the bottom.

In fact even more so.
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited September 2013

Patrick said:

Patrick said:

It will only get worse, as, increasingly, the bloke with the woodwork CSE is priced out of becoming an MP. He'll be too busy working to take the time off required to become a candidate.

• Options
    Thanks, Easterross, Patrick and Charles, for your answers.

Condensing your answers, there appear to be several problems:
    1) They are a gestalt entity of two attitude systems that do not necessarily belong together;
    2) Their seemingly-blind pro-EU stance is anathema to many people;
    3) They have been seen by many as more of a protest party than a party of power at a national level.

Some of which seems to be more applicable to the national party than local constituencies. I've often thought that the Lib Dems in local government have a reasonable track record.

So what can they do about these?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited September 2013
    What would be the best result for the Lib Dems GE2015 with regard to their campaign leading into GE2020 and to their future as a party?

1. A Labour majority? Then the Lib Dems, under a social democrat leader (Vince or Farron) could retreat to their comfort zone, criticise some of the "Tory-led" things they had to do in government and take credit for some of the grown-up decisions they made. They'd win back the agitators and protest-voters; those people who don't want their vote to go to a party that's likely to win power. And crucially, would be able to reposition themselves between a Labour party losing support whilst in power and a Tory party possibly divided over Europe .

2. A repeat of the GE2010 result and entry into a Con/Lib Dem coalition? By 2020 this would mean the Lib Dems 10 years in government. If the economy continues to heal and rebalances the Lib Dems will have 10 years of mature governing to extol to the electorate but would probably be tainted as crypto-Tories.

3. A lab/Lib Dem coalition? Fraught with problems. Alexander and Clegg and Laws would all have to go. And it would look like a massive about turn and very slippery. But it would have the benefit of a more popular leadership (at least to begin with) and the experience of five years of coalition behind it. It would also leave the Tories as the sole, serious opposition party and one that gets tight over Europe.

I suppose the existential question is, do the LIb Dems want a future as a serious party of power or one as a hub for protest voters and life in the comfort zone?

NB - I don't think the Tories can win a majority.

• Options
    Off-topic:

The process to right the Costa Concordia has started. It's a massively impressive operation - engineering on a truly vast scale.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24104643

But I don't think I'll watch the whole thing for 12 hours...
  • Options
    Guido has McBomb at the Labour conference
  • Options

Patrick said:

I think the problem is some of our Unis have become like our banks, they have disconnected from the rest of the country and as the phrase goes serve no useful social function.
  • Options
    BobajobBobajob Posts: 1,536

So you don't believe opinion polls then? That was a very long-winded way of saying it. Are you Fitalass in disguise?
  • Options

I still can't believe Ashcroft's poll shows labour ahead on the economy and jobs....

It's a marginals poll - those seats are disproportionately in areas outside the SE, in areas where living standards are falling.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Patrick I am a dyed in the wool unionist and I am far from confident that the Scots will vote No. Salmond is playing a blinder. He doesn't answer any of the difficult questions and the constituency he is appealing to, the CDEs simply don't care. He is already building the "everything those nasty English Tories and their LibDem lackies do, we can prevent in Scotland" theme. It will only grow and grow. In somewhere like Glasgow where 30% of households don't work, his money for doing nothing mantra goes down well.

Regardless of all the arguments and any logic, if on 17th September 2014 the Rangers and Celtic football team captains/managers etc and the front pages of the Daily Record and the Scottish Sun tell Scots to vote Yes, Eck will win by a landslide. Don't underestimate the ability of the unionist parties to hand it to the Yes campaign. We already see the London based parties positioning themselves for GE2015. In a year's time there will be even less interest in Scotland and far more on the opinions of marginal seat voters in the midlands, north-west of England etc.
    Rangers is a unionist club - highly unlikely it backs Yes.

• Options

1) They are a gestalt entity of two attitude systems that do not necessarily belong together;
    3) They have been seen by many as more of a protest party than a party of power at a national level.

Some of which seems to be more applicable to the national party than local constituencies. I've often thought that the Lib Dems in local government have a reasonable track record.

Other party supporters in "we don't like the yellow peril" shocker !!

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    Andy_JS said:

Indi 1,611 new prepolls split to Mirabella 899-712 , 577 absents went to McGowan 327-250 , McGowan should now win by 200-300 .
    Fairfax is heading for a dead heat , absents are splitting for Palmer but pre polls and postals for O'Brien . Stand by for a big row and investigation of the Coolum Beach PPVC rogue result .
  • Options

Patrick said:

I think it's because we still think we're wealthy enough to afford a Mercedes when really the budget can only stretch to a 2nd hand Lada, in beige.

• Options
    Clegg's three great mistakes were:
    1) putting all his eggs in the AV basket
    2) rolling over on tuition fees after campaigning against them
    3) in his apology for (1) saying explicitly that no LD promises could ever be believed (as they could all be given up in coalition talks)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited September 2013
    @Easterross

"He is already building the "everything those nasty English Tories and their LibDem lackies do, we can prevent in Scotland" theme. It will only grow and grow. In somewhere like Glasgow where 30% of households don't work, his money for doing nothing mantra goes down well."

Couldn't agree with you more. Scotland has a much more developed sense of social cohesion and community.They're more akin to Holland than England which is why our grubby Thatcherite values are anathema to the Scots

As I said before even money sounds about right. I have Scottish relatives who though in the 'no' camp themselves believe things are moving inexorably towards 'yes'
  • Options
    Benefit fraudsters to get 10 years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24104743

Leaving aside the cost of bailing out unjailed bankers, I do wonder if raising the profile of MPs' sleaze -- since people are bound to make the contrast -- is really that clever an idea for a government looking to gain from incumbency.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited September 2013

Celtic football team captains/managers etc and the front pages of the Daily Record and the Scottish Sun tell Scots to vote Yes

Optimistic - you think the Celtic captain and manager can to learn to speak coherently within a year ?

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Bobajob said:

So you don't believe opinion polls then? That was a very long-winded way of saying it. Are you Fitalass in disguise?
    He's not saying he doesn't believe opinion polls, he's saying he questions their predictive power more than a couple of months prior to an election. That's not the same thing.
  • Options
    50/50 ?

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 43m

Interesting to see @Kevin_Maguire has been told there will be no EU referendum announcement at Labour conference.

• Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited September 2013

Benefit fraudsters to get 10 years.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-24104743

Leaving aside the cost of bailing out unjailed bankers, I do wonder if raising the profile of MPs' sleaze -- since people are bound to make the contrast -- is really that clever an idea for a government looking to gain from incumbency.

To be fair, that's a scandalous misleading piece by the BBC.

The CPS has is in effect begun viewing benefit fraud in the same light as fraud in general.

To get a 10 year sentence for fraud, the value of the fraud has to be greater than 750k.

So if you're committing benefit fraud circa 20k, you're looking at non custodial sentences to a couple of years in sentencing terms (out in 6 months on tag)
  • Options
    Labour spokeswoman was on R5 live this morning ranting against the benefit fraud prison sentence changes - crazy strategy.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Here's the current sentencing guidelines for benefit fraud if it goes up to the big court

Page 26 of the report/page 29 of the pdf

http://sentencingcouncil.judiciary.gov.uk/docs/web_sentencing_for_fraud_statutory_offences.pdf
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

50/50 ?

Tom Newton Dunn ‏@tnewtondunn 43m

Interesting to see @Kevin_Maguire has been told there will be no EU referendum announcement at Labour conference.

Makes sense, if they agree to a referendum the next question is going to be about a renegotiation, which gets them into a unicorn-promising competition with the Tories that will strangle whichever leader is unlucky enough to win the election.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    @TSE - have we had a thread on the Ashcroft immigration poll?

You said you hadn't got round to it a week or two ago as things had been too busy. Have I missed it or has PB decided not to cover a poll of IIRC 20k people?
  • Options
    Two articles that may be of interest to recent debates.

1) In support of "help to buy"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/constructionandproperty/10310821/John-Cridland-Scrapping-Help-to-Buy-would-be-like-taking-a-patient-off-life-support-before-hes-out-of-intensive-care.html

"John Cridland is Director-General of the CBI"

2) On how the wage squeeze isn't going away any time soon but isn't as bad as the doom-mongers suggest (from David Smith the Sunday times economics editor- non paywall)

http://www.economicsuk.com/blog/001927.html#more

• Options
    Plato said:

@TSE - have we had a thread on the Ashcroft immigration poll?

You said you hadn't got round to it a week or two ago as things had been too busy. Have I missed it or has PB decided not to cover a poll of IIRC 20k people?

No, I had planned to run it last weekend, but server problems and David doing two threads last week and time got away from me.

Plus my piece was rubbish anyway.

You're welcome to submit a guest thread on it.
  • Options
    I felt this was worth mentioning as a follow-up to @Richardos

"...Actually, for many of us, by far the funniest outcome of the highly unpredictable next general election would be an overall majority for either Labour or the Tories. It would be worth it simply for the looks of horror on the faces of Ashdown and Clegg in the wee small hours of election night as it dawns on them that their historic move into government was, perhaps, a temporary post-crash fluke and not a new status quo. To avoid such a disaster for their self-esteem (which has hitherto never been a problem in Ashdown's case), they must pray that the fracturing of UK politics continues. That is what they rely on to create hung parliaments stretching out for decades to come, which will keep them in government, for ever.

But is this really how British politics ends? As an interminable conversation about who Clegg and Ashdown will deign to form a government with? Please, someone, do something." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/iainmartin1/100235998/it-will-be-hilarious-if-the-lib-dems-dont-end-up-in-government-after-2015/
  • Options
    edited September 2013
  • Options
    JackW said:

Other party supporters in "we don't like the yellow peril" shocker !!

That was the point of the question I was asking: why wouldn't people near the centre vote for the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    The Women Problem
    A Mumsnet report on who is winning the battle for Britain's female vote

http://www.mumsnet.com/pdf/womens-voting-intentions-report.pdf
  • Options
    They are clearly filling their breeks. An error of amateurs.
  • Options
    For Jenny Watson fans everywhere

"...I don't see Reds Under The Bed (there was a frog under mine the last time I looked, courtesy of the cats) but I do see a lot of Left-wing people in positions of cultural power. Opponents to the [Lobbying] Bill should understand that we tire of the sleek faces of this quangocracy, moving from committee to committee like well-grazed cattle, untouched by past failure and nearly always reliably anti-Tory in their off-the-shelf no-thinking-required 1990s New Labour views.

One who spoke against the Bill is Jenny Watson, who now leads the Electoral Commission (a body we require for what, exactly? To stamp out electoral fraud? Try not to laugh). Previous to safeguarding our democracy, Ms Watson was "the last Chair of the Equal Opportunities Commission … is a past Deputy Chairman of both the Banking Code Standards Board, and of the Committee on Radioactive Waste Management. She has also worked in a number of human rights organisations, including Liberty and Charter88", says the Electoral Commission's website..." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/graemearcher/100236036/left-wing-opponents-to-the-anti-lobbying-bill-are-unpleasant-but-the-legislation-is-a-mess/
  • Options

Charles said:

will the 'new UKIP' voters hold their noses and vote Cameron (I believe a lot will)

My offer of complacency consultancy is still open Charles.
    I'm sure it is. But you are targetting the wrong guy.

(A) just because I have something as my base case, it doesn't meant I am complacent about it.

(B) Nothing I do or say will impact the outcome

(9) I'd rather spend the money on something else

But this wasn't an amusing discussion the first time round and I very much doubt it will amuse the second timke either. I suggest you give it up before turn into tim.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    That is so disappointing (not your piece)

The comment are closed on your piece.
  • Options
    If Miliband is mischievous and slightly audacious - which I think he is - he'll advocate to let Farage into the debates.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    A great blog Mr Thomas.
  • Options

If Miliband is mischievous and slightly audacious - which I think he is - he'll advocate to let Farage into the debates.
    I don't think the debates are going to happen this time around, well in the 2010 format anyway.

I think we'll see 3 one on one debates.

Cameron v Miliband

Clegg v Miliband

and Cameron v Clegg.
  • Options
    SeanT said:
    I see Comments Are Closed - it that the decision of the blog writer or Damian Thompson?
  • Options

Clegg and some of the leadership seem to get it. Others whether Oakeshot or Cable seem to enjoy carping too much. A lot of the activists don't get it at all: to govern is to choose.

Longer term, though, I think they could get away with the bipolar position while in permanent opposition. If they move to government longer term they will need to choose, particularly on econonmics. They need to carve out a distinct identity.

I could see myself voting for an economically dry, socially liberal party. It's probably a minority position though (although one hopes the Tories could get there as well - seems to be where Cameron wants to take them). Flip flopping on economics from one Parliament to the next doesn't seem credible.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    edited September 2013
    SeanT said:
    Thats about the worst piece of drivel ever written about multiculturalism. If you played against Victoria Coren in a poker game; you'd lose big.
  • Options
    tim said:

So should Clegg.
    It's unlikely to happen, the Tories would collapse the debates first, but they both may as well have a laugh watching Cameron crap himself.
    Right, I think the optics of the Tories killing the debates rather than letting Farage in would work out pretty well for Labour, and it also avoids the election being a personal charisma contest, which may not be ideal for Ed Miliband.
  • Options
    I don't see how Nigel Farage could be included in the debates and representatives of the SNP, the Greens, Plaid Cymru and the various northern Irish parties could be excluded.

A sensible compromise would be to have one debate with more party leaders and two with just the main three. I expect that something like that will happen.
  • Options
    My advice to Cameron would be to call Farage's bluff and insist he is included in the debates, then in answer to every question point out that a vote for UKIP would achieve the diametric opposite of what Farage has just advocated. For the Conservatives to do well, this election has to be made what it actually is: a choice, not a vanity show.
  • Options

SeanT said:
    A great blog Mr Thomas.
    A great pity comments are closed.
This discussion has been closed.