Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clinton v Trump & Corbyn v Smith: The main betting as we en

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154

PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

It might just be German way / translation but guardian report German official actually querying if he just meant to blow himself up or lots of people...despite his rucksack full of screws / nails.& trying to get into the music festival.

If all you want to do is kill yourself most people take lot of pills or jump off a building etc.

Immediate question, was he working alone or did people help him make the bomb?

Bavarian Interior Minister appears to be off-message
    Following a press conference, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) told Germany’s DPA, that he personally considers the bombing in Ansbach to have been the work of an Islamist suicide bomber.

"My personal opinion is that, unfortunately I think, it is very obvious that there has been a real Islamist suicide attack here," Herrmann said early Monday.
    Does Bavaria have an especially large number of Islamic migrants? All the recent attacks have happened there. Coincidence or a coordinated set of events - at least in part? The police there must be knackered after the last week.
    2 million new mainly Muslim folk have been spread around germany.
    Bavaria was the entry point though for many. Those who are economic migrants are going to move to where the jobs are perceived to be. Assume Berlin has a similar draw to London here.
    But your ISIS naughty boys are perhaps going to find a place as quickly as possible to go under the radar. Munich might be as good a place as any to do that.

I wonder how many of those "MIGRANTS WELCOME" signs still adorn Munich windows today?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

It might just be German way / translation but guardian report German official actually querying if he just meant to blow himself up or lots of people...despite his rucksack full of screws / nails.& trying to get into the music festival.

If all you want to do is kill yourself most people take lot of pills or jump off a building etc.

German officials are in complete denial, aren't they.
    Or not jumping (sorry) to conclusions? And yes I know about quacking like a duck!
    Doesn't seem to stop them " jumping to conclusions" the opposite way within minutes of an incident though does it?

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    3) No connection to terrorism
    4) No Connection to ISIS.
    This may come as a surprise to you, but mental illness makes people more vulnerable to radicalisation
    But only if there are sufficient numbers of cells of non mentally ill radicals on the loose to radicalise them and provide them with an exploding backpack
    I'm sure that helps, but the likes of Breivik for example self radicalised by internet.
    The attempts to make associations with Breivik are starting to look a little desparate. I am not sure how many Syrian immigrants are members of far-right white supremacist movements but I suspect it's quite small.
    That would be some deep cover....
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Or not jumping (sorry) to conclusions? And yes I know about quacking like a duck!
    Doesn't seem to stop them " jumping to conclusions" the opposite way within minutes of an incident though does it?

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    This may come as a surprise to you, but mental illness makes people more vulnerable to radicalisation
    But only if there are sufficient numbers of cells of non mentally ill radicals on the loose to radicalise them and provide them with an exploding backpack
    I'm sure that helps, but the likes of Breivik for example self radicalised by internet.
    And he was exceptionally rare as a case in terms of planning, preparation, narcissism and scale. I don't find comparisons with him bear much inspection myself. He wasn't a useful idiot.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,298
    edited July 2016
    Indigo said:

Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    The attempts to make associations with Breivik are starting to look a little desparate. I am not sure how many Syrian immigrants are members of far-right white supremacist movements but I suspect it's quite small.
    There were also the claims of him saying racist stuff, that turned out to actually be members of the public shouting abuse at him.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

"Police alert for summer riots as gangs plan disturbances"
    Officers have reportedly been told that gangs plan to hijack a march on August 6 to commemorate the death of Mark Duggan, whose shooting by police five years ago sparked widespread civil unrest."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-alert-for-summer-riots-as-gangs-plan-disturbances-a3303401.html
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

Officers have reportedly been told that gangs plan to hijack a march on August 6 to commemorate the death of Mark Duggan, whose shooting by police five years ago sparked widespread civil unrest."

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/police-alert-for-summer-riots-as-gangs-plan-disturbances-a3303401.html

As if they didn't have enough to deal with. Mark Duggan FFS. That role model for us all.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631

What does Merkel say after each of these events? And do the German media actually get to question her ? Or is it all a statement of sorrow for the victims & move on.

If it was happening here due to direct decisions by the PM, they wouldn't get away with saying very little.

The latter. It's really just self-censorship by the deferential German media though. Anyone who questions the official narrative "religion of peace" etc... is accused of inflaming the right wing.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,014
    Miss Plato, quite. Hopefully if anything kicks off there won't be pussyfooting about, as there was five years ago.

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,476
    AndyJS said:

O/T

If they have intelligence that some individuals intend to provoke violence and rioting then they should intervene hard to prevent it.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    London visas are clearly the way to go. Sadiq should make them a key plank of his mayoralty. London is open. If the rest of England wants to turn its back on the world, up to them. Just don't mess with the Anglophone Europhile Jewel in the Crown.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

O/T

We still those water cannons ;-)

Not fanning about by the police if it does kick off.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

As if they didn't have enough to deal with. Mark Duggan FFS. That role model for us all.
    Turned into a movie called "The hard Stop" . Bet his dear old mum was proud.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,061

Miss Plato, quite. Hopefully if anything kicks off there won't be pussyfooting about, as there was five years ago.

There was some admirably swift justice in the aftermath, with harsher sentencing. What gets me is the hand ringers who act like general inequality excused the rioting somehow, even though there seemed no political aspect to it, and given lots of people face unfairness and challenges, and they don't respond by rioting.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,522
    Jobabob said:

London visas are clearly the way to go. Sadiq should make them a key plank of his mayoralty. London is open. If the rest of England wants to turn its back on the world, up to them. Just don't mess with the Anglophone Europhile Jewel in the Crown.

That's as much the stuff of pure fantasy as Scotland somehow being in the UK and the EU at the same time...
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Turned into a movie called "The hard Stop" . Bet his dear old mum was proud.
    And certain sections of the media always choose a certain carefully cropped photo rather than a whole loads of other less attractive ones available.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

If they have intelligence that some individuals intend to provoke violence and rioting then they should intervene hard to prevent it.
    Yeah TJ. Slay all the blacks and lefties just to be on the safe side, eh?
  • Options

Mr Dancer - hopefully they will intervene to prevent anything kicking off.
  • Options
    Maybe Jason Bourne can turn up if we have summer riots, he attends anti austerity protests in the latest movie...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

What does Merkel say after each of these events? And do the German media actually get to question her ? Or is it all a statement of sorrow for the victims & move on.

If it was happening here due to direct decisions by the PM, they wouldn't get away with saying very little.

The latter. It's really just self-censorship by the deferential German media though. Anyone who questions the official narrative "religion of peace" etc... is accused of inflaming the right wing.
    Causing a fuss seems to be regarded as not having a mature politics, which they seem very proud of having, but admittedly I lack any experience of the place and Nickp does not seem to be around (on holiday or steering clear during the labour contest, quite sensibly, I imagine).

Along with the right to not be offended being more precious than anything else thesedays, another one is the desperation to not overreact to things meaning under reaction occurs. And I say that as someone always wary of overreacting. I've not written off the possibility Corbyn coukd do ok at a GE for example.

• Options

ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Seriously ?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

City A.M.: These two critical trade-offs will determine Britain's future EU relations. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwp8iuxyw

The London visa is not a stupid idea at all. In Australia, quite a number of visas limit you to a certain state.
    London visa, local girlfriend, article 8 challenge, live where you like from then on. Seen it all before.

Its Article 8 that is the problem, it's black/white view of the issue prevents us making sensible solutions to our various immigration concerns.
    Presumably the London visa would require the holder to work in London, not live there. Though it does raise the question of how London is defined...
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, Mr. Abroad has a bit habit of being a silly sausage.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

The first night of the London riots was one of the most memorable on PB - I was just going to bed when Twitter exploded and Sky got their helicopter up. It was incredible stuff.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

AndyJS said:

O/T

Seriously ?
    Innocent abroad is rather obsessed with equating perceived right politics - whether or not the person is of the right or not - with an implied desire to detain or kill opponents, because that's the same thing right?. Usually doesn't include whole ethnic groups in the implied murder list though.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,510
    PlatoSaid said:
    Sadly (in terms of missing the potential illumination) I am not prepared to pay Mr Murdoch to read it.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:
    I enjoyed the swipe at Matthew Parris.

"The elegant and perpetually mistaken columnist Matthew Parris railed against attempts by nasty people to implicate militant Islam. Nice was nothing to do with it, he averred. And then, the day after his article appeared, it was proved beyond all reasonable doubt that the murderer, Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel, viewed Isis propaganda, had accomplices, that the thing had been planned for ages and that it was without question an Islamist terror attack."
  • Options
    Miss Plato, shame they're referred to as riots. Whilst initially true, it then became blatant looting (with a side helping of arson and murder).
  • Options

Maybe Jason Bourne can turn up if we have summer riots, he attends anti austerity protests in the latest movie...

I watched all the Bourne movies last year. They were so desperately mediocre. And I never really felt there were any stakes. Shady Cia people run shady cia schemes, but he has no real mission, and another faceless official is always left to carry out another shady cia scheme, so he doesn't achieve anything either. Weird.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,079

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

City A.M.: These two critical trade-offs will determine Britain's future EU relations. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwp8iuxyw

The London visa is not a stupid idea at all. In Australia, quite a number of visas limit you to a certain state.
    London visa, local girlfriend, article 8 challenge, live where you like from then on. Seen it all before.

Its Article 8 that is the problem, it's black/white view of the issue prevents us making sensible solutions to our various immigration concerns.
    Presumably the London visa would require the holder to work in London, not live there. Though it does raise the question of how London is defined...
    That is correct; and that is exactly the same way that regional visas work in Canada and Australia. One could - furthermore - say that you could not access public services (like the NHS) outside the London boroughs. (Or inside the M25, as you wish.)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

There was some admirably swift justice in the aftermath, with harsher sentencing. What gets me is the hand ringers who act like general inequality excused the rioting somehow, even though there seemed no political aspect to it, and given lots of people face unfairness and challenges, and they don't respond by rioting.

The immediate court hearings and eye-popping sentences were spot on. Perhaps the media could re-broadcast some of those reports to remind the young and stupid not to do it again.

http://www.ibtimes.com/london-riots-2011-courts-open-24-hours-process-looters-830993
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I watched all the Bourne movies last year. They were so desperately mediocre. And I never really felt there were any stakes. Shady Cia people run shady cia schemes, but he has no real mission, and another faceless official is always left to carry out another shady cia scheme, so he doesn't achieve anything either. Weird.
    You watch Bourne for the world-beating car chases....
  • Options

Miss Plato, shame they're referred to as riots. Whilst initially true, it then became blatant looting (with a side helping of arson and murder).

I recall even on the daily show it never bothered to try to make it part of a larger problem, just focused on the looting without politicising it.
  • Options

kle4 said:

You watch Bourne for the world-beating car chases....
    Meh. I have to care about the guy a little or what he's doing to really care about any action...unless it's mad max fury road.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Causing a fuss seems to be regarded as not having a mature politics, which they seem very proud of having, but admittedly I lack any experience of the place and Nickp does not seem to be around (on holiday or steering clear during the labour contest, quite sensibly, I imagine).

Along with the right to not be offended being more precious than anything else thesedays, another one is the desperation to not overreact to things meaning under reaction occurs. And I say that as someone always wary of overreacting. I've not written off the possibility Corbyn coukd do ok at a GE for example.

I don't think it's so much about having mature politics as it is about war guilt. The media want to avoid, at all costs it seems, being seen to blame a minority for any kind of criminality. That is true now, look at how quickly the German media shift to the "lone wolf/nutter" angle, and it was true with the attempted cover-up of mass rapes and sexual molestation by migrants.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

kle4 said:

The immediate court hearings and eye-popping sentences were spot on. Perhaps the media could re-broadcast some of those reports to remind the young and stupid not to do it again.

http://www.ibtimes.com/london-riots-2011-courts-open-24-hours-process-looters-830993
    Yes, and some appeals on the harsh sentencing were shot down pretty nicely.

I took the political compass test again the other day and I remained a lefty libertarian sort - plaid Cymru though are my closest party it reckoned - but on issues like that I turn a little atilla the hun. Yes there are deeper problems, yes prison isn't just about punishment, but when list of people join in mass chaos in such an opportunistic way, it's more serious than a mere youthful mistake from someone with an otherwise good record.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    Does anyone know what the ferry companies are doing at Dover? Presumably with the reduced throughput of vehicles the companies are either running ferries half empty or they are running fewer services? Does anyone know which?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

How would people with London visas be stopped from travelling elsewhere in the UK to work illegally.
  • Options
    Just on Mrs Merkel, the one thing she has in her favour is that the German economic situation continued to improve. Q1 saw wages grow 3.4% y-o-y, against inflation of 0.5%. The 2.9% real wage increase is the highest in the developed world by a comfortable margin (the US - in second place - in just 1.2%), and with unemployment at just 4.2%, it would not be unreasonable to expect wage increases to accelerate this year.

Rising wages and rising house prices (as Mrs Thatcher would attest) can trump terrorist incidents.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    I thought people were joking.

But a public official in Germany did actually say unclear whether this was a suicide attempt or he wanted to hurt others.

Read it in the Telegraph and saw it on Beeb.

Wow, just wow.

I am sure German hausefraus are convinced by that......
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

How would people with London visas be stopped from travelling elsewhere in the UK to work illegally.
    People can come into the UK on tourist visas and work illegally now.
    Indeed, like in the US, that is how the vast majority of illegal workers come in,

The answer is - like in Switzerland and Germany - you have very severe punishments (including jail time) for people who employ undocumented/illegal workers. And, of course, if you work outside your region, your visa is cancelled. Regional visas work well in both Australia and Canada.
  • Options
    Floater said:

I thought people were joking.

But a public official in Germany did actually say unclear whether this was a suicide attempt or he wanted to hurt others.

Read it in the Telegraph and saw it on Beeb.

Wow, just wow.

I am sure German hausefraus are convinced by that......

That we're beyond the point where parody is indistinguishable from real life, says it all.

The media and authorities are indulging in a mass act of collective self-harm. When you aren't believed any more - power and influence just drains away.

What I'm really noticing right now, is the total absence of reporting here on the DNCLeaks. Not a peep on Sky. They spent almost three days wibbling about Melania's apple pie plagiarism though.
  • Options
    This article, published today, contains a pretty big non sequitur. It reports that Merkel has never been more popular but goes on to say that the polls on which this are based were conducted before the recent attacks:

http://www.politico.eu/article/in-troubled-times-germans-still-look-to-angela-merkel-munich-attack-refugee-isil/

"In troubled times, Germans embrace ‘Mommy’ Merkel
    From the refugee crisis to terror attacks, the chancellor should be losing support. She’s never been more popular."

"So far, instead of turning away from their leader, as one might expect, Germans have been flocking to her like moths to a flame. A string of recent polls (taken before the weekend attacks) showed that Merkel had largely recovered from the hit she took during the refugee crisis."
  • Options
    Miss Plato, quite.

What are the DNCLeaks?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,209
    rcs1000 said:

AndyJS said:

Jobabob said:

People can come into the UK on tourist visas and work illegally now.
    Indeed, like in the US, that is how the vast majority of illegal workers come in,

The answer is - like in Switzerland and Germany - you have very severe punishments (including jail time) for people who employ undocumented/illegal workers. And, of course, if you work outside your region, your visa is cancelled. Regional visas work well in both Australia and Canada.
    And let's be honest, the people being employed by a firm in London are unlikely to run off to work up north. :)
  • Options
    Missed this labour uncut piece - covers a lot of the thinking of lab moderates and why there will be no split I think.

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2016/07/21/10-hard-truths-for-labour-moderates/
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,231
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think it's so much about having mature politics as it is about war guilt. The media want to avoid, at all costs it seems, being seen to blame a minority for any kind of criminality. That is true now, look at how quickly the German media shift to the "lone wolf/nutter" angle, and it was true with the attempted cover-up of mass rapes and sexual molestation by migrants.
    Is it the media primarily at fault here though? Or is it a political class unwilling to accept that letting in a vast number of people from a violence ridden region and a culture with vastly different values to those of the West without checks at a time when there is a clear terrorist threat is not, well, the most sensible policy ever devised?

Sadly, I'm beginning to think that it is only when that political class starts feeling the effects directly of what they have done that there will be any real change.

At the moment the political class get to look all compassionate and it is others who mourn the loss of their children. The wider that gap gets the greater the chances for a nasty backlash to develop. But the fault will lie with those who tried to pretend that people are just interchangeable units with no culture, no values, no history, no religion, no different perspectives and that mixing them up together will have no effect on a society's cohesion and well-being.

• Options
    What on earth is fantastical about a system that already operates in several other western nations?
  • Options

Miss Plato, quite.

What are the DNCLeaks?

A skip load of embarrassing emails pinched from the Democrats - the ones this morning include Donna Brazile calling Bernie Sanders 'stupid' and loads of patronising analysis of how to appeal to/use Hispanics to win voters over. It really reminded me of the Remain campaign's Tell Grannie stuff.

Well worth having a peek at the hashtag - if Twitter hasn't attempted to delete it yet again.
  • Options

Miss Plato, quite.

What are the DNCLeaks?

The leaked emails from the Democratic National Committee, they showed heavy bias in favour of Hillary including sharing of media personnel and essentially talking down Sanders as much as possible in the primary race. There have also been some unsavoury remarks about Mexican voters, saying that they need to increase "taco bowl" participation.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    Jobabob said:

Using what powers ?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    edited July 2016
    OT: AGW

A bit boring now but June 2016 was the warmest ever June ever recorded globally according to NOAA (NASA has a similar report too).

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/201606

Anyway according to many on here, this is all fake - these bloody scientists all feeding from the AGW trough!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Just on Mrs Merkel, the one thing she has in her favour is that the German economic situation continued to improve. Q1 saw wages grow 3.4% y-o-y, against inflation of 0.5%. The 2.9% real wage increase is the highest in the developed world by a comfortable margin (the US - in second place - in just 1.2%), and with unemployment at just 4.2%, it would not be unreasonable to expect wage increases to accelerate this year.

Rising wages and rising house prices (as Mrs Thatcher would attest) can trump terrorist incidents.

Mrs T was never regarded as soft on terrorism. I doubt she would have reacted to the Syrian issue in the soft-headed way Mrs Merkel has.

There is a difference between being a leader trying to deal with terrorist attacks in your country - where people accept that such stuff may happen and that you are doing your best - and being seen as responsible for actively inviting into your country actual/potential terrorists.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    JackW said:

PB at times suffers from bouts of "instantaneous-itis"

It can be a severe condition. The main symptoms being :

1. Immediate over-reaction to events.
    2. Desperate thirst for any information to said event however vague and tenuous.
    3. Immediate over-reaction to new information.
    4. Desperate thirst for any information to said new information however vague and tenuous.

6. Blame the liberal media and especially the BBC ..... for anything.

.................................................................................

5. MODERATED for references to Finchley Road and lizard people ....

Well said as always. There are 2 or 3 really bad cases on PB at the moment, totally lacking in perspective and all wanting to inflame issues for political purposes. Must have been so disappointed that Jo Wiley's killer turned out to be a white right-wing nutter rather than a muslim, even then Lucky83 managed to speculate whether it was a "false flag" security forces event!

The BBC angle is comical, when the usual suspects claim the BBC is ignoring this or saying that a quick spin round Sky News, Channel 4 etc will usually confirm that the coverage is pretty much the same elsewhere.

• Options
    murali_s said:

A bit boring now but June 2016 was the warmest ever June ever recorded globally according to NOAA.

Anyway according to many on here, this is all fake - these bloody scientists all feeding from the AGW trough!

I never quite understand quite what they get out of such a scenario but there you go. So assuming sincerity either they're right or a vast majority are very very wrong. Not impossible, but still.

Good day all.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    London visas? Oh dear lord.

• Options
    MaxPB said:

Miss Plato, quite.

What are the DNCLeaks?

The leaked emails from the Democratic National Committee, they showed heavy bias in favour of Hillary including sharing of media personnel and essentially talking down Sanders as much as possible in the primary race. There have also been some unsavoury remarks about Mexican voters, saying that they need to increase "taco bowl" participation.
    That Politico journalist caught sending his copy for DNC approval is rightly toasted. I winced when reading that Hispanics were particularly sensitive to 'story telling'. Now - depending on your view, that's either PR speak for message framing - or incredibly insulting...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

What on earth is fantastical about a system that already operates in several other western nations?

It operates in nations which are not party to the ECHR and where there is no automatic right to a family life. I think it should be possible to implement a regional visa system, but I also don't pretend that it would be easy.
  • Options
    Sky — another shooting at a Florida nightclub.
  • Options
    Miss Plato/Mr. Max, cheers.

Meant to be working, so I can't (well, shouldn't) check it now.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    chestnut said:

That'll help the idea that migrants are pricing others out of the capital....
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Holy Hell. I just switched over to watch Jeremy Kyle. Honestly - has there been this much news ever? It's relentless. I can't keep up with even a single edition of The Times right now.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

2. Desperate thirst for any information to said event however vague and tenuous.
    4. Desperate thirst for any information to said new information however vague and tenuous.

.................................................................................

Well said as always. There are 2 or 3 really bad cases on PB at the moment, totally lacking in perspective and all wanting to inflame issues for political purposes. Must have been so disappointed that Jo Wiley's killer turned out to be a white right-wing nutter rather than a muslim, even then Lucky83 managed to speculate whether it was a "false flag" security forces event!

The BBC angle is comical, when the usual suspects claim the BBC is ignoring this or saying that a quick spin round Sky News, Channel 4 etc will usually confirm that the coverage is pretty much the same elsewhere.

The BBC headline over a suicide bomb carried out by a Syrian migrant was previously "Syrian migrant dies in blast". They have since changed that to "Syrian blows himself up in Germany". Both are technically correct, but this is the headline on the Telegraph "Ansbach suicide bomb: Syrian asylum seeker killed by backpack device after being turned away from music festival" and the Guardian "Germany explosion Syrian man kills himself, injures 12, in Ansbach blast". Compare and contrast the different approaches.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    edited July 2016
    I have no idea about whether this latest German attack is terrorism or not. But the chances are that if you let in a lot of people from a violent warzone, some of them are going to have severe mental health issues. In fact, if you let in two million people from anywhere, some of them will have severe mental health issues. But that is not necessarily a good enough reason not to let the two million in.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,004

chestnut said:

That'll help the idea that migrants are pricing others out of the capital....
    Unless Sturgeon is going to be able to produce 'Scottish visas' it is a non starter.
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    I've got 3 x free £10 bets on Betfair to use - any tips?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:

Holy Hell. I just switched over to watch Jeremy Kyle. Honestly - has there been this much news ever? It's relentless. I can't keep up with even a single edition of The Times right now.
    1945 probably kept editors busy.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Jobabob said:

Australian style points based system of immigration? Didn't have you down as a fan.

Vote Leave, take control etc
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,953
    Morning. Another day of bad news to read, there's going to be serious problems in Germany if these small scale attacks continue over the summer. Meanwhile France decide that the border they need to police extra hard is the one in Dover.

If anyone wants to avoid France and Germany over the summer, I can recommend Kiev as somewhere very nice to spend a long weekend. Clean, good weather, lots of English spoken and, thanks to their currency crashing among their troubles a couple of years ago, really cheap to stay. :)
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

Someone killed Jo Wiley?? the DJ?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

I have no idea about whether this latest German attack is terrorism or not. But the chances are that if you let in a lot of people from a violent warzone, some of them are going to have severe mental health issues. In fact, if you let in two million people from anywhere, some of them will have severe mental health issues. But that is not necessarily a good enough reason not to let the two million in.

The number one priority of any government is to protect the people who already live there, so I'd have to disagree with you on the fundamental principle of letting millions of people into a country without being able to properly assess them.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    houndtang said:

Are they Sportsbook or exchange, or either ?

If the stake isn't returned, go for 3 long odds (but valueish shots)
  • Options

This was definitely a suicide bomb attack by an Islamic terrorist. He had a backpack which blew up and it contained nails and other shrapnel to injure and kill as many people as possible. He also tried to enter the local festival but was denied entry. Good work by the security guards. It looks like he then went to the nearest populated area and blew himself up.
  • Options
    houndtang said:

England to win the cricket.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,925
    AndyJS said:

The world feels like it's going crazy this Summer! :(
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    OllyT said:

JackW said:

I've just immediately over-reacted to your post by telling the world Jo Wiley has been assassinated.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Had that bomber injured or killed a member of the family of a prominent German politician you can bet it would have been considered good enough reason before the echo of the blast died away. People sitting comfortably in another country are of course free to take a different view.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924

OllyT said:

JackW said:

Someone killed Jo Wiley?? the DJ?
    My error, Jo Cox, obviously.
  • Options
    Fenster said:

OllyT said:

JackW said:

I've just immediately over-reacted to your post by telling the world Jo Wiley has been assassinated.
    I guess he meant Jo Cox MP. Jo Whiley, former Radio 1 DJ, is very much still alive.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Sandpit said:

houndtang said:

Err...

If hi stake isn't returned that is a horrible bet :p
  • Options
    MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Australian style points based system of immigration? Didn't have you down as a fan.

Someone has to take control of London's future – no point getting dragged down with the rest of England for something it didn't vote for and doesn't want.
  • Options
    F1: not a tip, but a discussion point.

Rosberg's 3.75 for the title.

I suspect Hamilton may win the next race, and the odds will lengthen more. However, Hamilton's likely to take some penalties later in the year which could cost him significant points. The title race isn't over yet.

I'm not betting on this, as yet.
  • Options
    Ally_BAlly_B Posts: 185
    GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

End of days is nigh?
  • Options
    Ally_B said:

GIN1138 said:

AndyJS said:

End of days is nigh?
    No.... Just a lot of people wanting to hurt their fellow human beings. Depressing.
  • Options
    Mark Stone Sky
    The new normal - armed troops & police monitor traffic on French/Belgian border https://t.co/cX8CueXGP3
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,896
    rcs1000 said:

Indeed - her policy on admitting large numbers of migrants has to be seen in that light. It wasn't some kind of misplaced compassion - it was purely and simply to ensure the continuation of the pool of cheap labour needed to power the German economy. Just as the British economy has prospered on the back of cheap imported labour (and that explains Blair's decision in 2004), so has the German.

Together with the Single Market, an unending supply of cheap foreign labour powers the German economy (and by consequence much of the northern European economy). If you turn off that supply (as many in the UK seem to want), the consequence will be an economic slowdown and the return of inflation as labour shortages bite (remember the late 1980s ?).

It comes to the central question - what price prosperity ? If the price of prosperity is immigration to supply cheap labour, are you happy to pay that price ? Merkel has made a judgement the Germans will be happy. May is going to have to fudge and mudge between the globalisers like yourself and the voters of Barking. You might prefer continued economic growth and all that flows from it, they might prefer an end to immigration and all that flows from it.

There are your two sides going forward - those willing to accept the social, cultural and political consequences of migration with the trade off of continued prosperity and those willing to accept the economic consequences of ending migration while believing there will be social, cultural and political benefits.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    houndtang said:

You could back a draw in the cricket and hope the match goes on for longer than expected before cashing out.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Someone has to take control of London's future – no point getting dragged down with the rest of England for something it didn't vote for and doesn't want.
    Would you extend the same rights to say Leeds or Warwick ? I know, lets have a South Hams Visa, they voted remain as well! Will this London Visa give the option for Sutton or Sevenoaks to opt out ?
  • Options
    houndtanghoundtang Posts: 450
    Pulpstar said:

houndtang said:

Are they Sportsbook or exchange, or either ?

If the stake isn't returned, go for 3 long odds (but valueish shots)
    Sportsbook - no stake returned.
  • Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Jobabob said:

MontyHall said:

Jobabob said:

Over 40% of it did and do, and seeing as it isn't a devolved state, but a city in a country, your argument is pointless
  • Options
    Here is some excellent Rod Liddle that is not behind a paywall:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/why-the-liberal-left-has-declared-war-on-tripadvisor/?_ga=1.75027474.1095780617.1469436090

ROD LIDDLE
    Why the liberal left has declared war on TripAdvisor
    Don’t you dare see what other customers think... you must consult an expert on chewing and eating
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JackW said:

As a pillar of the establishment the question is: Is JackW actually a lizard person? Might explain how come he's 250... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

houndtang said:

Err...

If hi stake isn't returned that is a horrible bet :p
    Ah, hadn't thought of that angle. But it's likely to win and will pay out no later than tomorrow so still free money. Odds shortened a lot overnight though, no value in 1.08 any more, would return 87p from £10, less commission.

Anyone know anything about horses that are running today?
  • Options
    stodge said:

rcs1000 said:

Indeed - her policy on admitting large numbers of migrants has to be seen in that light. It wasn't some kind of misplaced compassion - it was purely and simply to ensure the continuation of the pool of cheap labour needed to power the German economy. Just as the British economy has prospered on the back of cheap imported labour (and that explains Blair's decision in 2004), so has the German.

Together with the Single Market, an unending supply of cheap foreign labour powers the German economy (and by consequence much of the northern European economy). If you turn off that supply (as many in the UK seem to want), the consequence will be an economic slowdown and the return of inflation as labour shortages bite (remember the late 1980s ?).

It comes to the central question - what price prosperity ? If the price of prosperity is immigration to supply cheap labour, are you happy to pay that price ? Merkel has made a judgement the Germans will be happy. May is going to have to fudge and mudge between the globalisers like yourself and the voters of Barking. You might prefer continued economic growth and all that flows from it, they might prefer an end to immigration and all that flows from it.

There are your two sides going forward - those willing to accept the social, cultural and political consequences of migration with the trade off of continued prosperity and those willing to accept the economic consequences of ending migration while believing there will be social, cultural and political benefits.

Surely the difference is that Polish plumbers don't pose the same threat as an unemployed Syrian or Afghan?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    murali_s said:

A bit boring now but June 2016 was the warmest ever June ever recorded globally according to NOAA (NASA has a similar report too).

Really?

"..last month was the hottest June ever recorded worldwide, and the fourteenth straight month that global heat records were broken”. This claim came from the US National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA),...

But what might also have been pointed out was that in recent years claims like this have, for two reasons, become increasingly controversial. For a start, as I have reported many times before, those responsible for compiling these records of global surface temperatures, including NOAA, have come under expert questioning for the way thay have long been engaging in wholesale “adjustment” of their data, almost invariably in the same direction. For earlier years, back to the 1930s and 1940s, their temperature figures have been revised downwards, while those for recent years have regularly been “adjusted” upwards – thus conveying that the world has been heating up much more than was justified by the original recorded data....."

"...But what also gets tellingly ignored...is that, since 1998, there has been an increasingly glaring divergence between the global temperatures shown by these surface records and the much more comprehensive temperature measurements made by US satellites. These clearly show 1998 as having been still easily the hottest year on record: more than 0.2 degrees C warmer than 2016. But the satellites have also lately been showing temperatures again dropping sharply, as happens each time an El Nino reverses into a La Nina. This suggests that these dramatic fluctuations have nothing to do with human activity but arise naturally."

Read the rest here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2016/07/23/how-the-eu-helped-us-to-sell-off-our-economy/
  • Options
    stodge said:

Would it be rude to ask what happens when that surge of immigrants get old and needs pensions and health care for the usual chronic and expensive conditions associated with the elderly ? This approach is either a ponzi scheme where we need to increase the number of new immigrants year on year ad infinitum to both help the economy and pay for those immigrants that are retiring and simultaneously becoming more expensive and moving out the workforce, or its assuming that they all reach 67 and move somewhere else.
  • Options

The starting point is that there is no obligation whatsoever to let in people from other countries nor any entitlement to be let into another country. And if you do choose to let people in the very least you should do is check that such people are not going to be a nuisance or a burden. I see no good reason to let in people who have mental health issues just because we are unwilling to do any checks, even assuming that I shared the opinion that terrorism is just some unfortunate outcome of mental illness.

It isn't and people with mental illness should not be scapegoated just because we are unwilling to face up to the causes of the majority of terrorist risks we face today. The desire to avoid scapegoating Muslims is leading people to some quite absurd contortions of fact, logic and, frankly, basic moral good sense.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr. Tang, of the F1 Sportsbook bets, I'd look at:
    Rosberg, title 3/1
    Ferrari, Constructors Without Mercedes [rather important that it's without Mercedes], 7/4

Wouldn't necessarily tip those in normal circumstances, but for free bets they're worth a look.

Edited extra bit: you may wish, if you like the Rosberg bet, to wait until after Germany, but it's up to you, of course.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

As a pillar of the establishment the question is: Is JackW actually a lizard person? Might explain how come he's 250... :open_mouth:
    Nah, he is a highlander. They live for thousands of years unless they are decaptiated.
This discussion has been closed.