Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clinton v Trump & Corbyn v Smith: The main betting as we en

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Clinton v Trump & Corbyn v Smith: The main betting as we enter another big political week

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    First like Jeremy.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672
    Second like Labour.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,725
    Third like Corbyn's class.
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    The Telegraph: Serco boss: We need five years to prepare an EU trade plan. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw-PWsxiw
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,471
    Caught up with Tim Kaine's first speech as presumptive veep nominee over the weekend. Whilst the oratory isn't electric there is a folksy down home charm to him that is attractive. I suspect it will work for Clinton, an astute pick. It also shows a self awareness for Clinton to pick someone high on the likeability front given its an area she struggles with.
  • Options
    City A.M.: These two critical trade-offs will determine Britain's future EU relations. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwp8iuxyw
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

The Telegraph: Serco boss: We need five years to prepare an EU trade plan. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIw-PWsxiw

Are Serco the idiots who run some of our prisons?
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    ToryJim said:

Caught up with Tim Kaine's first speech as presumptive veep nominee over the weekend. Whilst the oratory isn't electric there is a folksy down home charm to him that is attractive. I suspect it will work for Clinton, an astute pick. It also shows a self awareness for Clinton to pick someone high on the likeability front given its an area she struggles with.

Yes, a quick YouTube survey does seem to indicate Tim Kaine as clever & personable.
    I wonder what his attitude towards "Creationism" is.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068

City A.M.: These two critical trade-offs will determine Britain's future EU relations. http://google.com/newsstand/s/CBIwp8iuxyw

The London visa is not a stupid idea at all. In Australia, quite a number of visas limit you to a certain state.
  • Options
    " Interesting " timing. This comes out a few days after the £8K on a " Call me Baby " viral video. A few days after he returns to the Lib Dem front bench. < http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/nick-clegg-granted-former-prime-ministers-expenses-allowance-wor/
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    rcs1000 said:

The London visa is not a stupid idea at all. In Australia, quite a number of visas limit you to a certain state.
    Boris flared the idea when he was London Mayor. As he thought at the time UK immigration policy was too restrictive.
  • Options
    It's not about disaster. It's about the length, complexity and of Brexit. The author wants us all to shut up because he knows full well we'll be taking about little for years. It's not our fault. The campaign slogan should have been " Vote Leave. Take back years of detailed and tortious hard work. "
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Golly, just waking up to another terrorism event in Germany. I gather it was a pretty lucky escape for many concert goers.

Have they all been in Bavaria?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

It's not about disaster. It's about the length, complexity and of Brexit. The author wants us all to shut up because he knows full well we'll be taking about little for years. It's not our fault. The campaign slogan should have been " Vote Leave. Take back years of detailed and tortious hard work. "
    Most things worth doing take years of detailed and hard work.
  • Options
    Just Call Me Mister
    On the left is a parody I made a day ago, on the right a current article. We are living in a parody. #ansbach https://t.co/kamNbFrv7G
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

" Interesting " timing. This comes out a few days after the £8K on a " Call me Baby " viral video. A few days after he returns to the Lib Dem front bench. < http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/nick-clegg-granted-former-prime-ministers-expenses-allowance-wor/

Can you have a "Front Bench" with the same number of MPs as a Norfolk farmer's fingers?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I see Theresa May is continuing her fine tradition of "Have Cake, Also, Eat Cake" when saying that there will be no change to the open Border between NI and RoI, yet who is this person here in the below link saying it is inconceivable that there wouldn't be any change. Why, it is Theresa May!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-36587809

What's the customs border like between NI and Mainland UK?
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    rcs1000 said:

London visa, local girlfriend, article 8 challenge, live where you like from then on. Seen it all before.

Its Article 8 that is the problem, it's black/white view of the issue prevents us making sensible solutions to our various immigration concerns.
  • Options

I guess you are not a fan then :p
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Can you have a "Front Bench" with the same number of MPs as a Norfolk farmer's fingers?
    It's part of the Lib Dems delusions of continuing relevance.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    Gas explosion my arse.

Now they are saying that it is unclear whether he was just trying to kill himself or take others with him.

That ladies and gentlemen is Libnial - Liberal Denial (of things that show liberalism is an untenable way to run a society)
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486

Could you spell out what you mean?
  • Options
    Martin Brunt
    #murder Man, 30, dead and several seriously injured during private party in Headley, Surrey. Police urgently trying to contact party-goers.

!!!
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Alistair said:

I see Theresa May is continuing her fine tradition of "Have Cake, Also, Eat Cake" when saying that there will be no change to the open Border between NI and RoI, yet who is this person here in the below link saying it is inconceivable that there wouldn't be any change. Why, it is Theresa May!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-politics-36587809

What's the customs border like between NI and Mainland UK?

Bit rich coming from the Telegraph which has been endlessly negative about the EU.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    rcs1000 said:

When I worked in NZ my visa restricted me to a particular employer. If that changed then I needed to reapply.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,068
    Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

London visa, local girlfriend, article 8 challenge, live where you like from then on. Seen it all before.

Its Article 8 that is the problem, it's black/white view of the issue prevents us making sensible solutions to our various immigration concerns.
    Nevertheless, regional visas work very well in other countries.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Are Serco the idiots who run some of our prisons?
    I shared the link as it seemed like a good summary of an interesting idea. That EEA membership is an excellent short term fix but in the longer term it's as politically unsustainable as our EU membership had become. It would be like a methadone programme. Excellent as a ' Harm Reduction Model ' but not curative of the underlying ailment. Who knows ? But I thought it an interesting point.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

No. Surely " Front Bench " implies a " Back Bench " which the Lib Dems no longer have. But as most reality is socially constructed we'll have to forgive them theirs while they are still in trauma.
  • Options

Gas explosion my arse.

Now they are saying that it is unclear whether he was just trying to kill himself or take others with him.

That ladies and gentlemen is Libnial - Liberal Denial (of things that show liberalism is an untenable way to run a society)

Twitter is grimly amusing this morning - it's too easy to take the piss out of the obfuscation/deliberately misleading headlines.

One German media outlet tried to imply that the suicide bomber was just trying to kill himself. As you do.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Why is the phrase 'suicide bomber' not being used in connection with the latest incident from Germany? Those facts are now established.

New NUJ guidance?
  • Options

Why is the phrase 'suicide bomber' not being used in connection with the latest incident from Germany? Those facts are now established.

New NUJ guidance?

Libnial
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited July 2016
    Failed Syrian asylum seeker behind the bombing....."known locally as albert"...lone wolf who known to have mental health problems...yadda yadda yadda.

Give it two days and we will have stories of poor treatment of Syrian in germany & questions how germany could refuse his asylum claim, before the fear of backlash.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    edited July 2016

Failed Syrian asylum seeker behind the bombing....."known locally as albert"...lone wolf who known to have mental health problems...yadda yadda yadda.

Give it two days and we will have stories of poor treatment of Syrian in germany & questions how germany could refuse his asylum claim, before the fear of backlash.

Given the numbers, Germany and France are going to have to build a lot more mental hospitals with padded explosive resistant rooms
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

rcs1000 said:

Other countries which are not signatories to the ECHR I would suggest.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    Wow, I really can't imagine any British politician surviving such a series of attacks linked directly to an increased number of foreign nationals in the country.

How does Merkel do it?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Bedfordshire,

"Libnial"

You misunderstand.

The poor lads have mental health issues because of the harsh conditions in Germany. They are trying to commit suicide as a result, but as assisted suicide is illegal (through no fault of their own), they hoping to make the police do it.

The man with the rucksack wanted to save the police the effort, but was keen on having a few minutes savouring good music before blowing himself (and only himself) up. Even that was denied him by the heartless German bastards.
  • Options
    @rcs100 As an aside ' London Visas ' are an example of an area we've not begun to explore yet. Areas where Remainia can forge tactical alliances with the small minority of globalising Brexiters ( who are over represented on here ) ? If we're now in a generational and three dimensional culture war these small over laps are important. If we can keep London open, free and rich while ensuring the spasm of nihilistic ethno Nationalism that was the Leave vote in Barking will not pass then why not ? I'm adopting an unpleasant and hysterical tone as it seems to be the way to win elections at the moment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    PlatoSaid said:

Gas explosion my arse.

Twitter is grimly amusing this morning - it's too easy to take the piss out of the obfuscation/deliberately misleading headlines.

One German media outlet tried to imply that the suicide bomber was just trying to kill himself. As you do.
    The Unlucky Alf of suicide bombers.

"Aw, bugger...."
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Mutti Merkel what have you done... and how much will innocents have to pay for your stupidity
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wow, I really can't imagine any British politician surviving such a series of attacks linked directly to an increased number of foreign nationals in the country.

How does Merkel do it?

TINA
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Here we go, as you said mental health an angle.

"A 27-year-old man from Syria has detonated a bomb in the Ansbacher downtown and killed himself. Twelve people were injured, three of them seriously.The explosion occurred near the entrance of a music festival in the Ansbacher downtown. The man had been rejected at the entrance.

The offender according to Bavarian Ministry of the Interior is a refugee from Syria.
    The man's asylum application had been rejected a year ago, since he was tolerated**.
    He had already been in a psychiatric hospital because of two suicide attempts"

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/bayern/zwoelf-verletzte-jaehriger-syrer-zuendete-den-sprengsatz-in-ansbach-1.3093425

** presume that infers while appeals heard or similar?
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    edited July 2016

@rcs100 As an aside ' London Visas ' are an example of an area we've not begun to explore yet. Areas where Remainia can forge tactical alliances with the small minority of globalising Brexiters ( who are over represented on here ) ? If we're now in a generational and three dimensional culture war these small over laps are important. If we can keep London open, free and rich while ensuring the spasm of nihilistic ethno Nationalism that was the Leave vote in Barking will not pass then why not ? I'm adopting an unpleasant and hysterical tone as it seems to be the way to win elections at the moment.

Isn't negotiation the third stage of grief? At least we've moved on from denial and anger
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

How does Merkel do it?

CDU has lost about 10% in the last three years and its lead was down to around 10 points before this latest spate of violence, with just over a year until the next federal election it must be getting a little bit squeaky bum if this continues.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    It might just be German way / translation but guardian report German official actually querying if he just meant to blow himself up or lots of people...despite his rucksack full of screws / nails.& trying to get into the music festival.

If all you want to do is kill yourself most people take lot of pills or jump off a building etc.

Immediate question, was he working alone or did people help him make the bomb?
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Isn't negotiation the third stage of grief? At least we've moved on from denial and anger
    Its might suit the free market contingent down to the ground, but it won't wash in the country in any shape or form, partly because of Article 8 concerns as I mentioned, and partly because no one will have the slightest confidence that the authorities will have any inclination to keep an eye on where people with those visas chose to live. I also wasn't aware that immigration and border control was one of the delegated powers of the London mayor ;)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

It might just be German way / translation but guardian report German official actually querying if he just meant to blow himself up or lots of people...despite his rucksack full of screws / nails.& trying to get into the music festival.

If all you want to do is kill yourself most people take lot of pills or jump off a building etc.

German officials are in complete denial, aren't they.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    rcs1000 said:

Perhaps the site should introduce "PB Posting Visas".

1. TSE only allowed to post on the virtues of France
    2. malcolmg on the wonders of Scottish tories
    3. SeanT on tourism in Southend on Sea
    4. OGH on the bald truth about the Belgravia Hair Centre.
    5. Plato on Clinton for POTUS
    6. MikeK on his Islamaphilia
    7. rcs1000 on all merchant bankers are wan*ers
    8. Mrs JackW on barefoot paradise.

To name but a few .... :smiley:
  • Options

It might just be German way / translation but guardian report German official actually querying if he just meant to blow himself up or lots of people...despite his rucksack full of screws / nails.

I would be very surprised if he did it all on his own, especially given his alleged mental state I think anyone asserting that would defy credibility.
  • Options

Apparently he had a number of convictions for drugs offences. Clearly cannabis was to blame.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Libnial
  • Options
    edited July 2016

New NUJ guidance?

Libnial
    Reference to @Plato link up thread the BBC have the story as

"Syrian migrant dies in German blast"

The stupidity is laid bare when you try and write this headline with an IRA angle to it.....

"Irish migrant dies in British blast"

They have lost control....... they know it, we know it and our attackers certainly know it.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Bedfordshire,

"Libnial"

You misunderstand.

The poor lads have mental health issues because of the harsh conditions in Germany. They are trying to commit suicide as a result, but as assisted suicide is illegal (through no fault of their own), they hoping to make the police do it.

The man with the rucksack wanted to save the police the effort, but was keen on having a few minutes savouring good music before blowing himself (and only himself) up. Even that was denied him by the heartless German bastards.

A Swedish expert is saying the increase in rapes/sexual assaults there is down to the 'hot weather', absolutely unconnected to importing thousands of frustrated young men with no idea how to behave in our society.
  • Options

New NUJ guidance?

Because while there may not be direct causality between the three attacks in southern Germany they certainly aren't a coincidence. Three attacks all of a sudden in Germany , who had previously been spared, if not entirely then largely fitting the Demos/Stranger Danger metanarative. Two Asylum Seekers and and Iranian German. An Iranian German who were now told may have discussed his plan with an Afghan friend. All happening as we approach the one year count down to the Federal elections and in southern Germany where it causes Merkel problems with the CSU not just AfD.

Direct causality for a Collectively Unconscious synchronicity these attacks are *deeply* significant. It's the sound of the first creak of the centre not holding. Journalism tends to be a liberal trade. If it takes them 12hrs to 24hrs to shift from using " man with a bomb who committed suicide " to " Suicide Bomber " that's a good sign. It means journalists have understood exactly what's happened, what it means and how truly grim it is.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Moses_ said:

New NUJ guidance?

Libnial

The stupidity is laid bare when you try and write this headline kwith an IRA angle to it.....

They have lost control....... they know it and we know it.
    The story of Syrian who killed the pregnant lady & stabbed others had disappeared from bbc front page before news of this bombing ie within 5hrs.

To.be fair they were still reporting on Dave S, just not Delboy & now they have got Albert the suicide bomber.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,063
    AndyJS said:

Or not jumping (sorry) to conclusions? And yes I know about quacking like a duck!
  • Options

Bavarian Interior Minister appears to be off-message
    Following a press conference, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) told Germany’s DPA, that he personally considers the bombing in Ansbach to have been the work of an Islamist suicide bomber.

"My personal opinion is that, unfortunately I think, it is very obvious that there has been a real Islamist suicide attack here," Herrmann said early Monday.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

New NUJ guidance?

Libnial

The stupidity is laid bare when you try and write this headline kwith an IRA angle to it.....

The libnial denial is reaching pythonesque proportion.

I was born in Peterborough and could not do service in war with gammy leg. I am piccadillycircuslegbeforewicket Englishman and was not head of ss and did not do war crimes...
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    edited July 2016
    @YellowSubmarine

' Interesting " timing. This comes out a few days after the £8K on a " Call me Baby " viral video. A few days after he returns to the Lib Dem front bench. < http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/nick-clegg-granted-former-prime-ministers-expenses-allowance-wor/'

So now Clegg with his snout in the trough,what a surprise.

• Options

No. Surely " Front Bench " implies a " Back Bench " which the Lib Dems no longer have. But as most reality is socially constructed we'll have to forgive them theirs while they are still in trauma.

Even when the Liberal MP's were in single figures in the 50-70's they had a front bench parliamentary team - usually augmented from the Lords in which they were not short and certainly are not now.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

CD13 said:

Mr Bedfordshire,

"Libnial"

You misunderstand.

A Swedish expert is saying the increase in rapes/sexual assaults there is down to the 'hot weather', absolutely unconnected to importing thousands of frustrated young men with no idea how to behave in our society.
    Syria and the like being renowned for their siberia like conditions?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,427
    Morning all,

These headline betting probabilities for POTUS makes Trump the value bet surely here? It's gonna be close.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,631
    Indigo said:

Following a press conference, Bavarian Interior Minister Joachim Herrmann (CSU) told Germany’s DPA, that he personally considers the bombing in Ansbach to have been the work of an Islamist suicide bomber.

"My personal opinion is that, unfortunately I think, it is very obvious that there has been a real Islamist suicide attack here," Herrmann said early Monday.
    The CSU are to the right of the CDU and want a much more restrictive migrant programme and rapid deportation of failed asylum seekers. This is the CSU telling their partner "we told you so".
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Good morning, everyone.

Just seen the suicide bomber headline. Tragic that another David, a loner, whose motives are unclear, exploded for reasons that are uncertain.

It sounds like the only person he managed to kill was himself, so that's something.

Could be wrong, but I don't the BBC News at Ten last night even mentioned the machete attack.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    MaxPB said:

Indigo said:

The CSU are to the right of the CDU and want a much more restrictive migrant programme and rapid deportation of failed asylum seekers. This is the CSU telling their partner "we told you so".
    I'm glad somebody is speaking plainly. Rod Liddle's Sunday Times piece yesterday was very, very good.

• Options
    JackW said:

Even when the Liberal MP's were in single figures in the 50-70's they had a front bench parliamentary team - usually augmented from the Lords in which they were not short and certainly are not now.
    Benches? This is the LibDems we're talking about. Surely they'd be happy enough with stools and pouffes....?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Good morning, everyone.

Just seen the suicide bomber headline. Tragic that another David, a loner, whose motives are unclear, exploded for reasons that are uncertain.

It sounds like the only person he managed to kill was himself, so that's something.

Could be wrong, but I don't the BBC News at Ten last night even mentioned the machete attack.

Given how regularly this is happening, maybe the bbc policy is now if it isn't more than 5 killed or injured, they don't see it important enough to make the flagship news show. And even then definitely not a "terrorist attack" .
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Or not jumping (sorry) to conclusions? And yes I know about quacking like a duck!
    Well I jumped to the conclusion that gas explosion was as fishy as a three day old haddock on a hot summers day here last night.

Why, because the German media have form on this (in recent weeks and months not not mention Dr G inventing spin).

If a horse wins its last six races and someone who still thinks it is a rubbish horse offers me 10-1 am I a fool to jump to the conclusion those odds are very good and snap his hand off?
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@YellowSubmarine

' Interesting " timing. This comes out a few days after the £8K on a " Call me Baby " viral video. A few days after he returns to the Lib Dem front bench. < http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/24/nick-clegg-granted-former-prime-ministers-expenses-allowance-wor/'

So now Clegg with his snout in the trough,what a surprise.

Must be worried his EU pensions won't actually pay out.....
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Given how regularly this is happening, maybe the bbc policy is now if it isn't more than 5 killed or injured, they don't see it important enough to make the flagship news show. And even then definitely not a "terrorist attack" .
    Wasn't it a lonewolf gas explosion for several hours ?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Doesn't seem to stop them " jumping to conclusions" the opposite way within minutes of an incident though does it?

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    3) No connection to terrorism
    4) No Connection to ISIS.
  • Options

New NUJ guidance?

Because while there may not be direct causality between the three attacks in southern Germany they certainly aren't a coincidence. Three attacks all of a sudden in Germany , who had previously been spared, if not entirely then largely fitting the Demos/Stranger Danger metanarative. Two Asylum Seekers and and Iranian German. An Iranian German who were now told may have discussed his plan with an Afghan friend. All happening as we approach the one year count down to the Federal elections and in southern Germany where it causes Merkel problems with the CSU not just AfD.

Direct causality for a Collectively Unconscious synchronicity these attacks are *deeply* significant. It's the sound of the first creak of the centre not holding. Journalism tends to be a liberal trade. If it takes them 12hrs to 24hrs to shift from using " man with a bomb who committed suicide " to " Suicide Bomber " that's a good sign. It means journalists have understood exactly what's happened, what it means and how truly grim it is.
    The burying of their heads in the sand over this by the ruling class is doing a thousand times more damage to their reputation than any islamist nutter is capable of.
  • Options

Moses_ said:

New NUJ guidance?

Libnial

The story of Syrian who killed the pregnant lady & stabbed others had disappeared from bbc front page before news of this bombing ie within 5hrs.

To.be fair they were still reporting on Dave S, just not Delboy & now they have got Albert the suicide bomber.
    The Standard had pregnant in 'scare quotes' - I don't understand this newish trend. She was pregnant.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,027

Morning all,

These headline betting probabilities for POTUS makes Trump the value bet surely here? It's gonna be close.

Wouldn't it be better to wait for Hilary's bump from the Democrate convention and bet on Trump next weekend...
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    To be fair about the gas explosion clail, was that the claim by germans or an idiot who doesn't know the German word for restaurant? When I heard about it on Twitter the only article I saw in german simply said restaurant explosion.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,453
    edited July 2016

New NUJ guidance?

Perceptive.

I fear this shift in approach will have a profound effect on attitudes. The carefully planned major attacks a la 7/7 were meant to terrify en masse but, just as with London and the IRA, people adapt to the fact that these major incidents don't happen very often, tend to be focused on major population centres, and the chance of being caught up in one is small. Now we face random small scale incidents that don't need a lot of preparation and could take place pretty much anytime anywhere a reasonable number of people are gathered together. And the frequency could be high and the sense of threat therefore relentless. You are right that the prospect is grim.
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

Doesn't seem to stop them " jumping to conclusions" the opposite way within minutes of an incident though does it?

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    This may come as a surprise to you, but mental illness makes people more vulnerable to radicalisation
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Does Bavaria have an especially large number of Islamic migrants? All the recent attacks have happened there. Coincidence or a coordinated set of events - at least in part? The police there must be knackered after the last week.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294
    Charles said:

Most things worth doing take years of detailed and hard work.
    Clearly you don't believe in falling in love. Or even in voting. But I suppose that's why you gave yourself an escape clause with your first word.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    eek said:

Morning all,

Wouldn't it be better to wait for Hilary's bump from the Democrate convention and bet on Trump next weekend...
    I've laid off Trump (+415 Clinton/+522 Trump now) for the moment actually - hoping for a drift to reback.
  • Options
    Innocent_AbroadInnocent_Abroad Posts: 3,294

It always was.

• Options
    Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    This may come as a surprise to you, but mental illness makes people more vulnerable to radicalisation
    But only if there are sufficient numbers of cells of non mentally ill radicals on the loose to radicalise them and provide them with an exploding backpack
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    IanB2 said:

New NUJ guidance?

Perceptive.

I fear this shift in approach will have a profound effect on attitudes. The carefully planned major attacks a la 7/7 were meant to terrify en masse but, just as with London and the IRA, people adapt to the fact that these major incidents don't happen very often, tend to be focused on major population centres, and the chance of being caught up in one is small. Now we face random small scale incidents that don't need a lot of preparation and could take place pretty much anytime anywhere a reasonable number of people are gathered together. And the frequency could be high and the sense of threat therefore relentless. You are right that the prospect is grim.
    The IRA weren't in the game of killing themselves & were fond of ringing ahead. The latest series of attacks in germany are more akin to want goes on in Israel & even with their massive advanced security operation they can't really stop them.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Morning MrMorris. I think we have a bona fide, open and shut, caught red handed type case here of

"Spontaneous explosion"
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Indigo said:

Does Bavaria have an especially large number of Islamic migrants? All the recent attacks have happened there. Coincidence or a coordinated set of events - at least in part? The police there must be knackered after the last week.
    2 million new mainly Muslim folk have been spread around germany.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    But only if there are sufficient numbers of cells of non mentally ill radicals on the loose to radicalise them and provide them with an exploding backpack
    I'm sure that helps, but the likes of Breivik for example self radicalised by internet.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Indigo said:

I'm glad somebody is speaking plainly. Rod Liddle's Sunday Times piece yesterday was very, very good.

Rod was epic yesterday - I could frame that article. Doesn't look like he'll be readmitted to Labour anytime soon :wink:
  • Options
    edited July 2016

PB at times suffers from bouts of "instantaneous-itis"

It can be a severe condition. The main symptoms being :

1. Immediate over-reaction to events.
    2. Desperate thirst for any information to said event however vague and tenuous.
    3. Immediate over-reaction to new information.
    4. Desperate thirst for any information to said new information however vague and tenuous.

6. Blame the liberal media and especially the BBC ..... for anything.

.................................................................................

5. MODERATED for references to Finchley Road and lizard people ....

• Options
    Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    It doesn't come as any surprise whatsoever. That wasn't the question though.

The fact remains it was pointed out the authorities don't "jump to conclusions" when they quite obviously do just that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Trump Threatens to Pull U.S. Out of World Trade Organization

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/07/24/trump-threatens-to-pull-u-s-out-of-world-trade-organization/

Anyone up for extra-hard Brexit?
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Indigo said:

Good morning, everyone.

Wasn't it a lonewolf gas explosion for several hours ?
    Lone wolves hunt in packs these days - it's one of those irregular verbs.
  • Options

Benches? This is the LibDems we're talking about. Surely they'd be happy enough with stools and pouffes....?

Mark Oaten strikes again ....
  • Options
    Moses_ said:

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    It doesn't come as any surprise whatsoever. That wasn't the question though.

The fact remains it was pointed out the authorities don't "jump to conclusions" when they quite obviously do just that.
    We will no doubt hear more details over the next day or two when they look at, for example, his bank accounts, internet connections and associates, it will probably then come to pass that this wasn't quite as random as has been suggested, and possibly had been planned for months (see Nice), at which point the level of denial and hand waving will reach fever pitch.

One wonders how long the hand waving would last in the same events were taking place in provincial cities in the UK ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,010
    Mr. Indigo, we shouldn't be too smug. Cultural sensitivities, to use the rancid term, led to over a decade of ignoring children being sexually abused and threatening those who wanted to do something about it.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    Well quite - the suicide attackers are just their useful idiots.
  • Options
    eek said:

Perhaps neither candidate will get a convention bounce this time :

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/why-trump-and-clinton-might-not-get-a-convention-bounce-225828
  • Options
    Freggles said:

Freggles said:

Moses_ said:

AndyJS said:

1) mental health
    2) was working alone
    I'm sure that helps, but the likes of Breivik for example self radicalised by internet.
    The attempts to make associations with Breivik are starting to look a little desparate. I am not sure how many Syrian immigrants are members of far-right white supremacist movements but I suspect it's quite small.
  • Options

Mr. Indigo, we shouldn't be too smug. Cultural sensitivities, to use the rancid term, led to over a decade of ignoring children being sexually abused and threatening those who wanted to do something about it.

Don't get me started!
  • Options
    What does Merkel say after each of these events? And do the German media actually get to question her ? Or is it all a statement of sorrow for the victims & move on.

If it was happening here due to direct decisions by the PM, they wouldn't get away with saying very little.
This discussion has been closed.