Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It’s being reported that Virginia Senator, Tim Kaine. will

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,006
    Mr. Pulpstar, I believe in the equality of all Britons. This idea of Scottish supremacy via a veto over the majority is as mad as Honorius' approach to governing.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Uncle Len's intv http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/22/intelligence-services-using-dark-practices-against-jeremy-corbyn

“We found out just a couple of years ago that the chair of my union then, the Transport and General Workers Union, was an MI5 informant at the time that there was a strike taking place that I personally as a worker was involved in. [In] 1972, I was on strike for six weeks. And 30 years later it comes out that the chair of my union at that time was an MI5 informant.”
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    Does Unite represent Tin Foil Hat Makers?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    MP_SE said:

runnymede said:

Remember how the PB Remainers kept telling us how useless the LEAVE campaign was compared to the PR geniuses behind REMAIN?

Titter....

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/epicfail-how-britain-stronger-europe-blew-basics-pr-marketing-hind

Embarrassing stuff.
    One wonders, on what topic will our friends turn out to be so badly wrong, next time?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,431
    HaroldO said:

Just read Red Len's interview in the Grauniad.........amazing. Just amazing.

Made my day.

He clearly watched BBC's 'GBH' when he was much younger, and the plot line implanted somewhere deep in his subconscious
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Probably just a traditional Middle Eastern wedding.
  • Options
    Visa restrictions on Turkey still set to be diminished, according to Neil:
    https://twitter.com/afneil/status/756521086079172608
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Remember how the PB Remainers kept telling us how useless the LEAVE campaign was compared to the PR geniuses behind REMAIN?
    Titter....
    https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/epicfail-how-britain-stronger-europe-blew-basics-pr-marketing-hind

Without all those main articles on the uselessness of the LEAVE campaign.... what would we have done with our time?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

I'll say this, after today's events in Labour I really, really miss Spitting Image.

Imagine any of the old fashioned satirical shows back this year. Mock the Week isn't really a substitute!
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, we could've spent it productively, discussing which of the Diadochi was best.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    edit
  • Options

Mr. P, unsurprising (amused at the Welsh, though).

May should tell them to piss off. I think a UK-wide vote is debatable. One part of the country (or three parts) having veto power over the majority is indefensible.

Welsh Labour are trying hard to lose a large chunk of their supporters. They are close to the tipping point when they would lose many seats.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, are UKIP in a position to take advantage, or would such seats drift to the Conservatives?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    Here we go again.....
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    edited July 2016
    PlatoSaid said:

Uncle Len's intv http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jul/22/intelligence-services-using-dark-practices-against-jeremy-corbyn

“We found out just a couple of years ago that the chair of my union then, the Transport and General Workers Union, was an MI5 informant at the time that there was a strike taking place that I personally as a worker was involved in. [In] 1972, I was on strike for six weeks. And 30 years later it comes out that the chair of my union at that time was an MI5 informant.”

There was definitely a bit of this about - things that happened in the past will have shaped McCluskey's thought processes. But leave him looking rather ridiculous today.

Father of a friend of mine was an informant on union activity for an intelligence agency back in the 80s, FWIW.
  • Options

Mr. Betting, we could've spent it productively, discussing which of the Diadochi was best.

At least it would not be about Hannibal. This website's main writers became part of the establishment for 4 months. Not good for contrarian thinking.
  • Options
    Local German media saying multiple deaths. Sky.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,618
    When is this going to end.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Let's hope the reports are wrong.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Given the demographic changes in Germany. Never.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, I have a soft spot for Antigonus Monopthalmus, who seemed to be almost the only Diadochus [if I got the singular right] who got on really well with his son.

Slightly frustratingly, of the three books I've read there has been quite a lot of overlap and each offers something the others don't, but none was quite the comprehensive work I'd like.

[There is one I don't own called Dividing the Spoils, but the author uses Common Era. I'm somewhat wary of an author who wishes to impose revisionist tosh on the calendar].
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Mr. P, unsurprising (amused at the Welsh, though).

May should tell them to piss off. I think a UK-wide vote is debatable. One part of the country (or three parts) having veto power over the majority is indefensible.

Welsh Labour are trying hard to lose a large chunk of their supporters. They are close to the tipping point when they would lose many seats.
    When I moved into the Monmouth constituency it was a Labour marginal (384 maj). It's solidly back to Conservative (c. 11k maj). It's a traditionally Conservative seat mind, but the sitting MP has improved his majority twice.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

If you let millions in from a war zone, this can't come as a surprise.
  • Options
    Worth waiting for confirmation, even if the first assumption about Munich may well be right. Could be a Breivik-type scenario.
  • Options

Mr. Betting, are UKIP in a position to take advantage, or would such seats drift to the Conservatives?

UKIP are showing signs of falling apart with Mr Hamilton but a new national Leader may fix things. The Welsh Conservatives under a Brexit Leader are ideally placed. Two parties chasing the majority LEAVE vote and 3-4 parties chasing the REMAIN vote.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

MaxPB said:

If you let millions in from a war zone, this can't come as a surprise.
    It isn't just those from war zones, they have let in loads from Algeria etc...ie where lots of the French / Belgium nutters have their roots.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,970
    Please, not again.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AndyJS said:

PlatoSaid said:

Let's hope the reports are wrong.
    Indeed – As with the axe attack on a Munich train, very little ‘accurate’ news was forthcoming in the first hour. We can but hope the final figures are much lower
  • Options

Please, not again.

Yokel on here has said on multiple occasions (including after the train slashing) that was small fry & IS have big plans for Germany.
  • Options
    Mr. Betting, ah, sounds a bit like Scotland writ small. Cheers for the concise explanation.
  • Options
    BigIanBigIan Posts: 198

I'll say this, after today's events in Labour I really, really miss Spitting Image.

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Totally off topic. Lancaster bomber just flew over :)
  • Options
    Mr. 64, they're a bit late...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

Please, not again.

Yokel on here has said on multiple occasions (including after the train slashing) that was small fry & IS have big plans for Germany.
    It's easy to assume that if the attacks are not that close together then they probably haven't got that many people. If they start to become more frequent, the pressure on governments to act will grow immensely.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    edited July 2016
    AndyJS said:
    There's the convention bounce...?
  • Options
    #BREAKING More than 10,000 passports cancelled due to flight risk: Turkish minister
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    runnymede said:

Titter....

They over looked one obvious thing- why the Leave Vote campaign was red.
  • Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 3,459
    PlatoSaid said:

#BREAKING More than 10,000 passports cancelled due to flight risk: Turkish minister

Wow, that's a bit extreme.
  • Options
    Conflict News
    UPDATE: One dead, 10 injured in shooting at #Munich shopping centre: police source - AFP
  • Options

Mr. 64, they're a bit late...

Heading towards scotland.....
  • Options
    Mr. Jim, given 60,000 or so people have been arrested, fired or suspended, 10,000 cancelled passports seems a little on the low side.
  • Options
    ToryJim said:

PlatoSaid said:

Wow, that's a bit extreme.
    Are we now finding the real reason why he agreed to crack down on refugees crossing into Greece?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    nunu said:

runnymede said:

Titter....

That's mentioned in one of the other articles linked to at the bottom: https://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2016/july/brexit-how-design-made-the-difference/ ("Seeing red").
  • Options
    This seems peculiar to me.

Anti-terror police in France have had a request of theirs rejected. That request? The deletion of footage of the Nice attack. City authorities have refused, on the rather reasonable grounds it may be evidence:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36864440
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

Mr. Betting, I have a soft spot for Antigonus Monopthalmus, who seemed to be almost the only Diadochus [if I got the singular right] who got on really well with his son.

Slightly frustratingly, of the three books I've read there has been quite a lot of overlap and each offers something the others don't, but none was quite the comprehensive work I'd like.

[There is one I don't own called Dividing the Spoils, but the author uses Common Era. I'm somewhat wary of an author who wishes to impose revisionist tosh on the calendar].

I'm not sure what dating convention was used by the Hellenistic Greeks. AUC would obviously be an anachronism.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

Please, not again.

He seems to know a lot..........
  • Options

Is there a coup on ?
  • Options

I suppose we shouldn't prejudge the outcome of the Lagarde case but taking this together with the circumstances in which her predecessor had to step down, you have to wonder what kind of recruitment process the IMF uses for its senior staff.

Indeed, quite extraordinary, or has it just been a witch hunt in Lagarde's case?
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016

MaxPB said:

Given previous form over the centuries when that lot have taken exception to minorities, I fear for the future in a rather different way. Enough of this and Germany's version of Fronte Nationale will start harvesting votes in a big way, although I can't see such a party getting a majority ( that said, Hitler didn't get one either he basically staged a coup after becoming the largest party but well short of a majority)
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,032

PlatoSaid said:

There was definitely a bit of this about - things that happened in the past will have shaped McCluskey's thought processes. But leave him looking rather ridiculous today.

Father of a friend of mine was an informant on union activity for an intelligence agency back in the 80s, FWIW.
    We know that more recently, police pretended to be environmental activists and maintained intimate relations with women activists for a decade. Again, infiltration by state security and safety forces seems to be par for the course in trade unions and left activism. Probably not in investment banks, though.
  • Options
    Reports claim the shooting is over, - 1 dead and 10 injured, no detail so far on the perp.
  • Options
    Mr. Lilburne, I'm not sure either. May have varied from city to city.

[Although the Diadochi were, of course, Macedonian (excepting if you count Eumenes of Cardia) it was Greeks who wrote the history, primarily Hieronymus of Cardia].
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Obama on Trump - "This vision of violence and chaos everywhere doesn't jibe with most people's experience."

Bad timing for that remark...
  • Options
    EPG said:

PlatoSaid said:

We know that more recently, police pretended to be environmental activists and maintained intimate relations with women activists for a decade. Again, infiltration by state security and safety forces seems to be par for the course in trade unions and left activism. Probably not in investment banks, though.
    I expect a poster here is one of the Queens Men, along with most forums.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

This seems peculiar to me.

Anti-terror police in France have had a request of theirs rejected. That request? The deletion of footage of the Nice attack. City authorities have refused, on the rather reasonable grounds it may be evidence:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-36864440

Mr Dancer, the French have always been peculiar.
  • Options

Yes, but it was always going to have a limited scope. Applied to about 1.5m people who would have been awarded visas anyway.

In any case, what options do the EU have ? If they renege on their commitment, Turkey could take away the naval ships and the coast guards !
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

NeilVW said:

Thrak said:

HYUFD said:

With Trump clearly pitching for the white blue collar vote in a tight national race he probably wins Ohio and North Carolina and Florida and maybe NH and Hillary needs to win Iowa, Nevada and Colorado and Virginia, hence she picks Kaine. The election is then decided in Pennsylvania and Philadelphia and its suburbs v the more rural, rustbelt parts of the state

Its no wonder they get such poor turnout figures, given how so much of the count is already
    decided. Why not switch to the winner of the national vote?
    That would be logical and much preferable in my opinion. You might be interested in this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact
    I'm not sure that would help much, it would likely switch the campaigning from perceived swing states to big metropolitan areas. A quarter of the US population live in just 10 conurbations (NY, LA, Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Washington, Philly, Miami, Atlanta, Boston) - and half in the top 44 (some of which really are merged, such as SF and San Jose).
    What a disaster. Election being decided by people rather than archaic maths that gives votes to farmland..
  • Options

I suppose we shouldn't prejudge the outcome of the Lagarde case but taking this together with the circumstances in which her predecessor had to step down, you have to wonder what kind of recruitment process the IMF uses for its senior staff.

Indeed, quite extraordinary, or has it just been a witch hunt in Lagarde's case?
    Wasn't Strauss-Kahn the victim of a witch hunt too?
  • Options
    Mr. B, you may very well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Yes, but it was always going to have a limited scope. Applied to about 1.5m people who would have been awarded visas anyway.

In any case, what options do the EU have ? If they renege on their commitment, Turkey could take away the naval ships and the coast guards !
    They won't do that now. Otherwise the people who have had their passports confiscated will all be heading for Greek Islands of the Turkish coast...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    surbiton said:

The people it will apply to probably won't have passports much longer anyway so it may be academic.
  • Options
    Chris Ship
    Germany's @Abendzeitung reports up to 15 killed in the Muncich shooting
  • Options
    Mr. Surbiton, well, quite.

Once someone dons the gimp suit and is chained to the radiator, their negotiating leverage declines to a remarkable extent.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Chris Ship
    Germany's @Abendzeitung reports up to 15 killed in the Muncich shooting

Given what is on twitter, that looks sadly believable.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Is there a coup on ?
    The only coups in yorkshire are from the pigeons.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Given previous form over the centuries when that lot have taken exception to minorities, I fear for the future in a rather different way. Enough of this and Germany's version of Fronte Nationale will start harvesting votes in a big way, although I can't see such a party getting a majority ( that said, Hitler didn't get one either he basically staged a coup after becoming the largest party but well short of a majority)
    Is that the reason why we are spending £200 bn to build 40 large tubes ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2016
    Haven't the police just said 1 dead and 10 wounded? Are the local press are wrong or are the police not being truthful?
  • Options
    Michael Smith
    #MUNICH Video of scene of attack is being spread on IS-linked Telegram channels https://t.co/tFB0oaRmT9
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

nunu said:

runnymede said:

Titter....

That's mentioned in one of the other articles linked to at the bottom: https://www.creativereview.co.uk/cr-blog/2016/july/brexit-how-design-made-the-difference/ ("Seeing red").
    Their over analysing it. You can't have blue in a campaign dominated by the Tories, you need Labour red to appeal to wwc. That's it. Lol.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Haven't the police just said 1 dead and 10 wounded? Either way the local press are wrong or the police aren't being truthful.

AFP is reporting the 1 dead and 10 wounded as well.
  • Options

Haven't the police just said 1 dead and 10 wounded? Either way the local press are wrong or the police aren't being truthful.

Alas the police won't state anything other than officially confirmed deaths, ie certified by a doctor. That takes time.
  • Options

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

?
    Trident.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

surbiton said:

The people it will apply to probably won't have passports much longer anyway so it may be academic.
    They won't be academics for long...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

MaxPB said:

?
    Trident.
    Thats the figure CND have come up with.

Real figure is £25-31 billion

Compared with Hinkley Point it looks good value...
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    Twitter poster now claiming unconfirmed reports of a second shooting in Munich and people still in shopping centre.

Looks grim.
  • Options
    Last five days - French mother and daughters stabbed, axe attack, RAF attempted kidnapping and now this.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Last five days - French mother and daughters stabbed, axe attack, RAF attempted kidnapping and now this.

I suppose with ISIS controlled territory being slowly taken back in Iraq by Iraq army with US support and in Syria by Syrian army with Russian support and now getting to the stage where complete overrun of Isis in Iraq and Syria is inevitable, it was fairly likely that this sort of Gotterdamerung strategy would ensure.
  • Options
    Miss Plato, I was surprised the stabbing didn't make the evening news that day (BBC).

I wonder if Merkel's as guaranteed for re-election as people think.
  • Options
    #Breaking Video of suspect shooting in #Munich : Unverified https://t.co/Du467cjYTd
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    EPG said:

PlatoSaid said:

I'd be surprised if there was much active surveillance of the trade unions today, but wouldn't surprise me if the SWP and some other members of the "revolutionary" left still had an eye kept on them from the inside.
  • Options
    Dwnews
    #Munich police say they believe more than one shooter is involved; no one taken into custody yet. More: https://t.co/ye3EdLBDy5
  • Options

Miss Plato, I was surprised the stabbing didn't make the evening news that day (BBC).

She might not survive the weekend.
  • Options
    Munich: Reports now of second shooting at Stachus/Karlsplatz.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Allegedly might be more than 1 gunman and multiple deaths

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Reuters
    BREAKING: Multiple people injured and killed in Munich shopping center shooting - German police

Edit

UPDATE: 'We believe we are dealing with a shooting rampage' - Munich police. https://t.co/iktpvLwv89
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    tlg86 said:

She might not survive the weekend.
    Nonsense, nothing will change.
  • Options
    SKY - Germany a big target for terrorism as they are so tolerant........

• Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422

She's very likely to head the largest party/pact but there has to be a real risk that CDU/CSU-SDP-FDP end up sub-50%.
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Reuters
    BREAKING: Multiple people injured and killed in Munich shopping center shooting - German police

Social and various News Media outlets will be just getting in initial reports and reporting it as ‘real time’, - this will often conflict/contradict with those agencies reporting information more up to date. - That's a fingers crossed it is.
  • Options
    2nd shooting at metro station allegedly
  • Options
    Mr. Herdson, cheers for that answer.
  • Options
    Floater said:

2nd shooting at metro station allegedly

They just mentioned Marienplatz on Sky News which is right in the centre.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''Last five days - French mother and daughters stabbed, axe attack, RAF attempted kidnapping and now this.''

Europe is being run lunatics.

• Options
    I fear this is rather like early reports of major earthquakes that report two dead and some damage and we later discover a city has been flattened.
  • Options
    Floater said:

SKY - Germany a big target for terrorism as they are so tolerant........

I was perplexed by that one, I must admit.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    The vicious circle of our modern times:

https://twitter.com/NoughtPointFour/status/756542127518220288
This discussion has been closed.