Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling differential in the marginals that would mean t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,687
edited January 2014 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The polling differential in the marginals that would mean that we should be adding 5 to the LAB lead

Back in September Lord Ashcrooft published his 12,083 sample phone polls showing that LAB was doing substantiality better in the key battlegrounds than in the country as a whole.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Oh yes. That's right. Start a new thread just as the political consciousness of the PB proletariat is beginning to wake up from its enforced slumber at the end of the previous thread. Free the Thailand One! Bring Back SeanT! Emulate the progressive militancy of the WPRG!

First, but not in any superiorityist-élitist way! Down with the renegade Milibandite clique! Uphold the liberating and invigorating progressive warmth of Goveism-Barwellism! Resist the tyranny of Old Grumpy Head!
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    The swing in the key marginal of Croydon Central is more likely to be 8.5% from Labour to Conservative, not the other way round! Up With Gavin! Down With Old Grumpy Head!
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Marginals polling is hard, I doubt the gap is really this big.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Latest YouGov / The Sun results 14th January - Con 34%, Lab 37%, LD 9%, UKIP 13%; APP -26
  • Options
    The European Union is falling behind India and China and must reform if it wants to halt the decline, George Osborne is to warn.

"The biggest economic risk facing Europe doesn't come from those who want reform and renegotiation," he will say.

"It comes from a failure to reform and renegotiate.

"It is the status quo which condemns the people of Europe to an ongoing economic crisis and continuing decline.

And he will talk about how the 2008 financial crisis exacerbated the EU's problems.

"We knew there was a competitiveness problem in Europe before the crisis," he will say.

"But the crisis has dramatically accelerated the shifts in the tectonic economic plates that see power moving eastwards and southwards on our planet."

In a sign he believes spending on social security is too high not just in the UK but across Europe, he will claim: "Europe accounts for just over 7% of the world's population, 25% of its economy, and 50% of global social welfare spending."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25740462
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited January 2014
    Also on the BBC today: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25664580

A guide to life in a marginal constituency. How, if one live in a marginal constituency and have been identified as a "Not sure which way I'm going to vote" one is going to be targeted by the contenders.

Starts with a picture of a householder opening the door to a smiling Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    The Tory right really do have their party leadership by the short and curlies, don't they? Can Dave and George last another 16 months without revealing those negotiation red lines? It will be some feat if they do.

On Osborne's speech, I see he mentions patent numbers as an indication of the EU falling behind on innovation. Clearly, what he won't mention is that one of the reasons European patenting numbers are comparatively low is because the British are so reluctant to submit applications. Our record compared to the Germans and even the French is lamentable, and if you look on a per capita basis we are miles behind the Dutch, the Swedes and the Finns. In any case equating patents with innovation is profoundly wrong. One reason for the explosion in patents over recent years has been China's policy of subsidising applications from domestic companies for unexamined utility model patents. These are nothing more than pieces of paper that have never been scrutinised for an inventive step. Chinese companies apply for them because with a certain number of patents you become an R&D company and so get tax breaks.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    Let us assume that the marginals are indeed in some way a bit different from the national average. Fine.

Why?

What are the issues / policies that drive a different outcome? What should Dave be doing or saying differently to correct this polling problem? What is Redward doing right? We have some nice data on this thread but as yet no information. Do any PBers know (and I mean know - not guess or think)?
  • Options
    eristdooferistdoof Posts: 4,897
    I don't find this marginal difference so surprising.The Labour party lost a lot of votes in GE2010 compared to the previous 3. The marginal seats (at least the CON/Lab) marginals are going to be more volatile almost by definition but also due to the decision to vote or not. In the seats that went from Lab to Con last time there will have been a lot of "usually Labour" voters who either deliberately didn't vote or voted LD. GE2015 alost all of these "usually Labour" will revert back to voting Labour, It might only be 2 % of the electorate in the marginals, but that's about 3% of those who vote: give Labour a 3% headstart in the marginals and ....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    One for the anti-immigration headbangers:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/838de446-7d2f-11e3-a579-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2qRv1GRad

"Immgration has surged up the political agenda as the government has hardened its rhetoric on the issue but ministers have failed to provide evidence to back claims, repeated by Mr Cameron, that many migrants travel to Britain for generous benefits.

The government's discomfort on the issue was compounded on Tuesday when Robert Chote, head of the Office for Budget Responsibility, told MPs that the country's fiscal position would be worse if net migration was lower because immigrants were more likely to be of working age."
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    This is simple. The ground game. Let me say that again. The ground game. That and FPTP.

Because as any fool knows you don't win elections by throwing your resources at safe seats. Labour can afford to lose a few thousand votes in places like South Shields to UKIP. It won't cost us any seats as long as we get the votes out in the marginals.

Mike showed us a good example of this at the last election. The seats that went Tory in 2005 we did really badly in 2010. Did it effect the overall result? No. Because we didn't lose any seats by being hammered there and managed to hold on to many of the ones we just about could because we targeted our resources and worked hard on the ground in the seats we could.

So to hell with the national polls. Long live marginal polls. Because it is around 165 seats throughout the country that matter, that and the competing parties ground operations in those seats.

• Options
    As an aside I do believe that in time Cameron will be seen a a truly dreadful leader of the Tory party. Please note I am not arguing PM - at this time anyway. You simply cannot destroy your parties membership with such wanton abandon. Especially in an era when on the ground campaigning is becoming so much more vital.

I don't think a lot of Tories realise it yet but the combination of splitting the right, surrendering completely on Europe and destroying the membership has left them in some real long term trouble.

This is Cameron's personal fault as party leader. In time, he will be judged very very harshly for it.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    Isn't it more the fact that despite the famous Labour "ground game" Labour did worse in these seats than on average in 2010 which resulted in the tories winning more seats than they would have done on an even swing?

So rather than consoling themselves with this fearsome ground game Labour should be reflecting on the fact that the tories overachieved in these seats which are in fact more "Labour" than they voted in 2010.

The more interesting question is therefore why the tories overachieved in these seats and whether they can do so again come the election. The performance in the 2005 seats should also worry Labour about the seats they actually lost.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Marginal polling needs to be treated with extreme caution. Frankly past results have been mixed to say the least.

If Labour believed they were performing substantially better in the marginals than nationally would they be scaling back their expectations in the marginals as reported in LabourUncut ?
  • Options
    Jack

Labour up cut have actually just made that up. And if other political parties want to believe that then that is up to them. But as Lord Ashcroft describes comfort polling. That is comfort blogging.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    Patrick said:

Let us assume that the marginals are indeed in some way a bit different from the national average. Fine.

Why?

What are the issues / policies that drive a different outcome? What should Dave be doing or saying differently to correct this polling problem? What is Redward doing right? We have some nice data on this thread but as yet no information. Do any PBers know (and I mean know - not guess or think)?

If you go back to the Jan 13 blogpost, it shows a big LD increase in votes in L/C and C/L marginals. The better performance by L now is just a rewinding of that previous position.

What can Dave do? Encourage more L voters to vote LD?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308

Patrick said:

Why?

If you go back to the Jan 13 blogpost, it shows a big LD increase in votes in L/C and C/L marginals. The better performance by L now is just a rewinding of that previous position.

A recovery of the LD vote is a necessary but not sufficient condition of a tory win because the ex LD vote goes disproportionately Labour. There is the first hints in the lower Labour scores in Populus and Yougov that that might be starting to happen. Or not, it is still MoE. But it is worth keeping an eye on and is more important than the absolute leads.
  • Options
    IOS said:

Jack

Labour up cut have actually just made that up. And if other political parties want to believe that then that is up to them. But as Lord Ashcroft describes comfort polling. That is comfort blogging.

Do you have evidence that the article is "made up". I'm unaware of any other Labour PBer or official source who has denied the claim ?

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Those living in marginals, as I do, for experience a totally different election than those who don't. Nick Palmer reports regularly on the level of activity he is doing in Broxtowe this far out from. May 2015. I noted his comment that they give 2010 LDs as much attention as is necessary.

In my seat, I since know many LD voters all of whom have had visits from the Labour candidate former MP. The Tories just started to get their together putting out a glossy calendar from the sitting MP. They need to be knocking on doors.

IoS is right. The ground game matters and you need a motivated activist force for that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Why?

A recovery of the LD vote is a necessary but not sufficient condition of a tory win because the ex LD vote goes disproportionately Labour. There is the first hints in the lower Labour scores in Populus and Yougov that that might be starting to happen. Or not, it is still MoE. But it is worth keeping an eye on and is more important than the absolute leads.

It all depends on where the LDs are recovering, doesn't it? If it's happening in LD/Tory battlegrounds it is very good news for Labour.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Reorganising councils in Wales could cut 15,000 jobs, the Welsh Local Government Association (WLGA) has said.

Next Monday, the Williams Commission on public services is likely to recommend a big reduction in the number of councils from the current 22.

The last restructuring in Welsh local government was nearly 20 years ago.

Last autumn, First Minister Carwyn Jones said he knew of no-one who argued to keep the existing councils in their current form.

The estimates on potential job losses and the cost were included in the WLGA's official submission to the review.

It says: "With workforce in local government being the biggest asset in cost and resources, a reduction stemming from larger scale and the removal of duplication could see large savings.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-25730619
  • Options
    JackW said:

Marginal polling needs to be treated with extreme caution. Frankly past results have been mixed to say the least.

If Labour believed they were performing substantially better in the marginals than nationally would they be scaling back their expectations in the marginals as reported in LabourUncut ?

Next you'll be saying Dan Hodges made up his claim about the internal Tory polling on how well they are doing in the marginals. Is he a part of Labour Uncut, btw?

• Options
    Financier (8.05am) In other words, local government in Wales is based on government from London, not Cardiff. One place cuts make sense to me.

Incidentally, London has had 32 boroughs when it also had a GLC, when they were the only tier of local government, and still now it has a Mayor and GLA. So far as I know Boris has never said 32 is too many, so we now have the endearing site of a Labour regional government wanting more cuts that a Tory Mayor.

Have a nice day, children, I'm off to play bridge at U3A (whom God preserve)...
  • Options
    Verulamius / DavidL

For sure the Tories are suffering badly from the left being unsplit. They desperately need the LibDems to recover some of their mojo and start clawing voters back from the red team.

The Tories themselves also need to claw back UKIP and Did Not Vote electors.

So I guess a principled parting of the coalition ways with the LDs going more lefty and Dave going populist will be good for both parties.
  • Options

Those living in marginals, as I do, for experience a totally different election than those who don't. Nick Palmer reports regularly on the level of activity he is doing in Broxtowe this far out from. May 2015. I noted his comment that they give 2010 LDs as much attention as is necessary.

In my seat, I since know many LD voters all of whom have had visits from the Labour candidate former MP. The Tories just started to get their together putting out a glossy calendar from the sitting MP. They need to be knocking on doors.

IoS is right. The ground game matters and you need a motivated activist force for that.

Mike, your experience is noted but it's only one marginal and the efforts undertaken by PPC's and sitting MP's will vary considerably. Ground game does matter but it can only mitigate against the national situation to a limited degree.

I'm personally wired directly into 4 seats, two of which will likely appear in the "JackW Dozen", and I have to say the activity in all of these marginals varies vastly with Labour activity almost none existent in two, visible in one and significant in the last.

• Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited January 2014
    For all the discussion of ground game, I live in a marginal constituency (one surrounded by marginal constituencies to boot) and the only campaigning I've seen is Ed Miliband visiting the local area twice and seeing a UKIP canvasser in the town centre.
  • Options

Patrick said:

Why?

Dave wants more Labour voters in LD/Tory battlegrounds.

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    edited January 2014
    Regarding marginal vs national polling, here again is a short commentary to me (first posted on pbc in October from Dr Robert Waller, co-author of the definitive Almanac of British Politics, noted psephologist and former pollster:

"The problem with marginals polls (of which I've taken a few) is not with the sample size. That's often a red herring, as it doesn't matter how many people you talk to if they're not typical of all voters.

Therefore it's the 'sampling frame'. Assuming the poll is not random, and it won't be, the designers have to establish targets to set quotas to match with respondents.
    This is harder if it is not a standard national sample, as they have to find what is typical across 38 marginals, not the well known national figures that are regularly used.
    As a result, I would agree that marginals are harder to get accurate polling in.
    (Of course, the sample size in individual marginals will also be very small, so it's useless for single seats within the group).

Overall, if the results of the poll across marginals suggests a different swing from that suggested by the whole weight of national polls, it's probable that it's the marginals poll that is wrong.

So I think you are probably right - though polling has certainly become more sophisticated since I last took one in 1992, so the Ashcroft people may have made a better fist of the sampling than we did in the old days!

By all means use me as an authority, though myself don't think I have much standing as one on polling nowadays ..."
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,002
    JohnLoony said:

The swing in the key marginal of Croydon Central is more likely to be 8.5% from Labour to Conservative, not the other way round! Up With Gavin! Down With Old Grumpy Head!

I was at university wit Gavin, and can tell you he was a stupendously nice bloke.
  • Options

JackW said:

Next you'll be saying Dan Hodges made up his claim about the internal Tory polling on how well they are doing in the marginals. Is he a part of Labour Uncut, btw?

I note the outpourings of a certain Mr Hodges with a smile and little else.

In the final analysis I look to make a few shillings from political betting and help others to do so and whilst I have my own political preferences I don't allow them to colour the cold, hard judgements I make where money is concerned - I am a Scot after all with a wife who enjoys the finer things of (shoe) life !!

• Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    edited January 2014

Yes. That's the correct Tory strategy and I believe it's one they're already using.

Look for the pattern: the Tories taking populist-but-divisive right-wing positions. This forces Labour to either agree, losing left-wing Lib->Lab switchers, or disagree, losing swing voters.

They're squeezing Labour votes to either the Lib Dems or the Tories, which benefits the Tories either way.

Expect this pattern to steadily ramp up through until the election to bolster the Lib Dem's left-wing credentials.
  • Options
    JohnO [8.17am] I was polled in 1992! (I was still drinking, so even more obnoxious than I am these days...)

It was a few hours after Major had called the election. The following conversation ensued.

Pollster: "if there was a General Election to-morrow, how would you vote?"
    IA: "there isn't going to be a General Election to-morrow, there's going to be one on 9 April."
    Pollster: "yes, but if there were - "
    IA: "So you don't want to know how I'm going to vote in a real election, but you do want to know how I'm going to vote in an election that isn't going to take place."
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    edited January 2014

Dave wants more Labour voters in LD/Tory battlegrounds.

But are there more LD/Tory or L/Tory marginals?

• Options
    JackW said:

JackW said:

In the final analysis I look to make a few shillings from political betting and help others to do so and whilst I have my own political preferences I don't allow them to colour the cold, hard judgements I make where money is concerned - I am a Scot after all with a wife who enjoys the finer things of (shoe) life !!

The point about Labour Uncut is that, like Dan, they have a very specific agenda; so everything they say has to be seen through that prism. Dan really wanted there to be an internal Tory marginals poll showing that they were doing well; but that doesn't mean there was one. The same principle may well apply to the Labour Uncut blog. As long as you factor that in to your betting strategy you'll be fine. Like you, I can't see beyond another Hung Parliament after the next election.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

I live in a 3-way marginal, currently held by Labour by 42 votes. In my ward the most leg work, knocking on doors, stalls in the high street etc has been done by the Tories, followed by the Lib Dems. Labour have been invisible.

Anecdotal obviously - and Labour probably don't need this ward to win. But still. Striking that Labour appear to be so lackadaisical.

• Options

JackW said:

JackW said:

The point about Labour Uncut is that, like Dan, they have a very specific agenda; so everything they say has to be seen through that prism. Dan really wanted there to be an internal Tory marginals poll showing that they were doing well; but that doesn't mean there was one. The same principle may well apply to the Labour Uncut blog. As long as you factor that in to your betting strategy you'll be fine. Like you, I can't see beyond another Hung Parliament after the next election.
    I'm aware that Labour Uncut has its faults and as with all political intelligence I weight it accordingly.

However that little nugget chimed with information I had from a southern Labour target marginal. Useful snippets to store away.

• Options
    Turnout is also very important. 1/3 of all electors don't bother. If you can get those buggers in the marginals into the polling booth for you it makes a huge difference. Dave should be bussing grannies to the local primary school in May 2015 - and booking the buses now.
  • Options
    MaxUMaxU Posts: 87
    Cyclefree said:

I live in a 3-way marginal, currently held by Labour by 42 votes. In my ward the most leg work, knocking on doors, stalls in the high street etc has been done by the Tories, followed by the Lib Dems. Labour have been invisible.

Anecdotal obviously - and Labour probably don't need this ward to win. But still. Striking that Labour appear to be so lackadaisical.

Cyclefree- you live in Hampstead and Kilburn (I know my majorities!). It has a notoriously active conservative association- one of the most active in London if not the country. Also, as you say your ward is one where labour doesn't need to win to take the seat: it is an extremely varied constituency in terms of wealth- I'm guessing you live in the Hampstead end of the seat. I expect that in the Kilburn end labour are working hard and, in particular, are squeezing the Lib-Dem vote without mercy. On that basis my guess would be that labour will hold the seat with an increased majority (it could hardly decrease!) at the next election.

However I accept your general point that the voters experience of campaigning, even in marginal seats, is very varied across the country: just because in Bedford the Tories have gone to sleep doesn't mean they are in North London.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Confusion over Labour banks market share policy. Labour source: "We are definitely not proposing a 25 percent cap on Friday."
  • Options
    antifrank said:

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/838de446-7d2f-11e3-a579-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk#axzz2qRv1GRad

"Immgration has surged up the political agenda as the government has hardened its rhetoric on the issue but ministers have failed to provide evidence to back claims, repeated by Mr Cameron, that many migrants travel to Britain for generous benefits.

The government's discomfort on the issue was compounded on Tuesday when Robert Chote, head of the Office for Budget Responsibility, told MPs that the country's fiscal position would be worse if net migration was lower because immigrants were more likely to be of working age."

Did Robert Chote explain what would happen when the immigrants get old ?

I assume that even more immigrants would be brought in to pay for the previous immigrants.

But it is to be expected that the OBR sees nothing wrong with human ponzi schemes, after all they see nothing wrong with economic ponzi schemes.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Turnout is also very important. 1/3 of all electors don't bother. If you can get those buggers in the marginals into the polling booth for you it makes a huge difference. Dave should be bussing grannies to the local primary school in May 2015 - and booking the buses now.

The hiring of transport to take voters to the polls was in fact banned in the mid 1880s. The Tories at the time were very concerned about the effect this measure would have on their vote. However the adverse effect diminished with the advent of the motor car- because Tory supporters were richer they were more likely to have cars and they could give voters free lifts to the polling stations, unlike their opponents. However as far as I am aware actually hiring transport still remains against the law.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Good morning, everyone.

Betting Post

Backed SImon to beat Cilic (4 on Betfair). He's got a 3:0 record.
  • Options
    IOS said:

This is simple. The ground game. Let me say that again. The ground game. That and FPTP.

Because as any fool knows you don't win elections by throwing your resources at safe seats. Labour can afford to lose a few thousand votes in places like South Shields to UKIP. It won't cost us any seats as long as we get the votes out in the marginals.

Mike showed us a good example of this at the last election. The seats that went Tory in 2005 we did really badly in 2010. Did it effect the overall result? No. Because we didn't lose any seats by being hammered there and managed to hold on to many of the ones we just about could because we targeted our resources and worked hard on the ground in the seats we could.

So to hell with the national polls. Long live marginal polls. Because it is around 165 seats throughout the country that matter, that and the competing parties ground operations in those seats.

But the swing in the marginals was higher than the national swing in 2010 producing an 'extra' 15-20 Conservative gains.

Though that does suggest that there might be scope for a bigger swing back to Labour in 2015.

On the other hand the incumbancy effect will now be working for the Conservatives. Although that will itself vary from constituency to constituency - Harlow = big, Broxtowe = small.

• Options

antifrank said:

I assume that even more immigrants would be brought in to pay for the previous immigrants.

But it is to be expected that the OBR sees nothing wrong with human ponzi schemes, after all they see nothing wrong with economic ponzi schemes.
    IIUC immigrants tend to have more kids so it'll be them instead, but either way you get to invest the surplus for a working lifetime before you start having to pay out, which is a big deal thanks to the miracle of compound interest.
  • Options
    Maybe Dave can arrange for GE day in May 2015 to be rainy - keep the sofa chavs at home.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

In London the absolute focus of all local parties is the May Borough elections - not GE2015.

As a general rule there is far far more activity for local council seats then general elections.

If your ward is solid Tory or LD-CON then it is not suprising that you are not seeing much LAB effort.

I live in a marginal where there are not local elections this year so the effort is on GE2105

• Options

antifrank said:

IIUC immigrants tend to have more kids so it'll be them instead, but either way you get to invest the surplus for a working lifetime before you start having to pay out, which is a big deal thanks to the miracle of compound interest.
    But its unlikely to be a whole working lifetime is it, unlike a native-born worker, because the immigrant will arrive at some point during their adult life. Many of the Eastern European labourers are well into middle age.

Also, although immigrants do have more children than natives on average I believe that they revert to the national mean surprisingly quickly- so that effect is not as great as you imagine. another time I will look up the study for this, I can't recall it at the moment.

The solution to our dependency ratio problem is simple: just increase the retirement age and fast! When old age pensions were introduced life expectancy was far, far lower than it is today: they were never intended to support the whole population for a period of 20-25 years before they eventually died.

Incidentally OGH was complaining the other day that pensions were lumped together with benefits. While his point has some credibility his point is somewhat diminished by the way which the middle class, because they live longer, get so much more out of pensions than the poor.
  • Options

IOS said:

But the swing in the marginals was higher than the national swing in 2010 producing an 'extra' 15-20 Conservative gains.

Though that does suggest that there might be scope for a bigger swing back to Labour in 2015.

On the other hand the incumbancy effect will now be working for the Conservatives. Although that will itself vary from constituency to constituency - Harlow = big, Broxtowe = small.

The key difference between LAB and CON voting patterns is that the former is far more lumpy while the latter is more evenly spread amongst all kinds of seats. The chances of a bigger move in the marginals when LAB is trying to return to power is, I'd suggest, much greater.

• Options

antifrank said:

I wonder if someone could explain why if immigration has been such a greater economic benefit during the last decade why the UK economy has suffered its worst ever decade on record.

So either:

1) Immigration hasn't been the great economic benefit it is claimed to be by those with a vested interest in it

2) The UK economy has received massive structural damage some time after 2000

I'll let everyone else have a think about that as its time for me to do some real work.
  • Options

On Osborne's speech, I see he mentions patent numbers as an indication of the EU falling behind on innovation. Clearly, what he won't mention is that one of the reasons European patenting numbers are comparatively low is because the British are so reluctant to submit applications. .... In any case equating patents with innovation is profoundly wrong.

Any attempt to strengthen the EU patent system would be a potential minefield. There's considerable discontent with the current situation among internet firms and related communities.

Basically, successful companies keep getting ambushed by small firms with debatable patents - patents which amount to do the traditional thing using a computer, with no novel algorithm specified. In general, companies find it cheaper to settle out of court than to engage in a lengthy legal fight, but they don't like it. (Look up 'patent trolls' for a fuller description.)

From what I've read, at the moment this is mainly a US problem, but if Osborne tries to encourage more EU patents, he could easily end up importing the problem here, which would not go down well.

Really, the whole intellectual property field probably needs reforming, to account for the internet and other changes. There are powerful vested interests that will protect the status quo, but there may be scope here for a brave campaigning politician.
  • Options
    IOS said:

As an aside I do believe that in time Cameron will be seen a a truly dreadful leader of the Tory party. Please note I am not arguing PM - at this time anyway. You simply cannot destroy your parties membership with such wanton abandon. Especially in an era when on the ground campaigning is becoming so much more vital.

I don't think a lot of Tories realise it yet but the combination of splitting the right, surrendering completely on Europe and destroying the membership has left them in some real long term trouble.

This is Cameron's personal fault as party leader. In time, he will be judged very very harshly for it.

IOS, if you look at this from a long-term perspective you will see that there is nothing particularly unusual about the decline in Conservative party membership under Cameron's stewardship. It is part of a 50-year trend of declining membership of political parties, a trend only arrested, or in one case (Blair) bucked, briefly, whilst in opposition. Leaving that aside, Cameron has had to deal with the inevitable fallout of governing in coalition, and therefore passing some measures that are not particularly conservative, and failing to pass some measures that are. That has accelerated the decline in membership. Demographic factors are also relevant (Conservative members who joined post-war passing away).

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Cameron will be hailed as a great party manager. I commented on here several years ago that one of his big weaknesses, and potentially his future downfall, is his relative lack of support within the party. He and Osborne rose too quickly and bypassed too many time-servers to win the support of the machine. They are the anti-Brown (both a good and bad thing) and their roots in the party are not quite deep enough.

And then you have their own (real and perceived) personal shortcomings. Like Blair, both Cameron and Osborne make no secret of the fact they see themselves as reformers of their party, with the implied slight that their party is wrong on many issues. Like Blair, their analysis is generally correct, intellectually, morally and politically. However, it does not endear them to party members. Whilst Europe is a hot topic for many party members, I don't think the party leadership's position is unpopular, except with the irreconcilable BOOs. Cameron's support for overseas aid and gay marriage and (in the minds of many Conservatives) abhorrent failure to cut benefits to the bone has done more damage to party relations. These issues are compounded by the impression that Cameron and Osborne exude that they don't have respect for contrary views on these topics and that they aren't much interested either in the daily struggle or in the hard yards of constituency politics. This latter point is the one that Cameron and Osborne could and should address, and need to in order to motivate the troops for the next election.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    I have feeling that now some of the current online polling done is not that accurate. If the polling companies changed back to using mainly telephone polling, it might produce different results.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    hucks67 said:

I have feeling that now some of the current online polling done is not that accurate. If the polling companies changed back to using mainly telephone polling, it might produce different results.

It is demonstrably so for UKIP.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    I doubt the swing in the marginal is actually higher IF there was to be a general election tomorrow. It might be if there was to be a by-election in such a seat.

If we are stopped by interviewers and asked about healthy living, we will agree with questions which suggest we are eating less, exercising more etc. We wont turn round and say "I can't be bothered and don't care if I look like a fat lump".

If someone is asked about his/her constituency and it is flagged up that somehow it is important, extra special etc, the response will reflect that newly realised importance.

Come General Election day it might be wet, Man Utd might be playing to win the English Premiership, the SKY box might be on the blink, in short there will be other things which for the typical voter in the typical marginal constituency requires greater attention. In such circumstances they either vote the way they always do or simply don't bother. It is a small number of voters who change votes/stick to their previous voting intention which determines the result. That's why they are marginal.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,003
    edited January 2014
    MaxU said:

Patrick said:

The hiring of transport to take voters to the polls was in fact banned in the mid 1880s. The Tories at the time were very concerned about the effect this measure would have on their vote. However the adverse effect diminished with the advent of the motor car- because Tory supporters were richer they were more likely to have cars and they could give voters free lifts to the polling stations, unlike their opponents. However as far as I am aware actually hiring transport still remains against the law.
    Some years ago, when I was involved in the practicalities and legalities of these things, a taxi owner/driver was a candidate for election in my area. Like many other suburban areas most taxis were operated by one-man bands so most of his colleagues turned out to help him. Never seen so many cars at the polls!
    Sadly, although he was my friend, he wasn't my party!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MaxU said:

But its unlikely to be a whole working lifetime is it, unlike a native-born worker, because the immigrant will arrive at some point during their adult life. Many of the Eastern European labourers are well into middle age.

The vast majority of the immigrants coming to work will be in their 20s though. And don't forget that unlike a native, they will have been educated at another state's expense.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    edited January 2014

I wonder if someone could explain why if immigration has been such a greater economic benefit during the last decade why the UK economy has suffered its worst ever decade on record.

So either:

1) Immigration hasn't been the great economic benefit it is claimed to be by those with a vested interest in it

I'll let everyone else have a think about that as its time for me to do some real work.

Or

3) The economy has been affected by something that has nothing to do with immigration at all , e.g. technological change

• Options

antifrank said:

So either:

The banking system exploded.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756

antifrank said:

"Immgration has surged up the political agenda as the government has hardened its rhetoric .

So either:

Richard I'm still waiting for someone on the left to fess up and recognise what their immigration argument means.

If immigration has been such a huge benefit to the nation then that means the "growth" figures 1997-2010 have been flattered by the large influx of newcomers. If we strip this "benefit" out of the figures it means the underlying growth in the economy was even more disastrous we have been told and that Labour's policies from 1997-2010 were possibly the worst period of economic governance in the last 150 years.
  • Options

antifrank said:

So either:

Correction: labour let the banking system explode.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    antifrank said:

The benefits argument and the macro economic benefits are neither here nor there as far as I am concerned regarding immigration

Itas all about the effect on the wages of the lowest paid, which are depressed while it is the profits of corporations and the spending power of the rich that increase because of mass immigration.

The social effect and loss of community in (poor) towns affected by mass immigration outweigh any positive boost to an economic number that is irrelevant to most people's lives
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @Alanbrooke
    "Correction: labour let the banking system explode. "

Who let the other banking systems explode? Or did he collapse world banking all by himself?
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited January 2014
    A timely reminder from Toby Young.

“Miliband's French opposite number, François Hollande, is in deep doodoo. Not only has he turned the French economy into a basket case – negative growth in Q3, unemployment at 11 per cent, public spending as a percentage of GDP second-highest in the eurozone – he's got himself embroiled in a highly undignified love triangle. Miliband's words on Hollande's election victory in 2012 will surely come back to haunt him:

"This new leadership is sorely needed as Europe seeks to escape from austerity … He has shown that the centre-Left can offer hope and win elections with a vision of a better, more equal and just world." - Doh!”

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100254675/five-reasons-ed-miliband-should-feel-depressed-this-morning/
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Confusion over Labour banks market share policy. Labour source: "We are definitely not proposing a 25 percent cap on Friday."

what's happening with this bet?!!

I keep outlining the details, they are v simple, and you keep ignoring it,,, are we on?
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    "Correction: labour let the banking system explode. "

Who let the other banking systems explode? Or did he collapse world banking all by himself?

HMG doesn't regulate other states banking systems it regulates the UK's. The buck stops with Labour.

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758

antifrank said:

So either:

Labour did not allow the banking system to explode on a worldwide basis. The start of relaxed banking regulation started under Thatcher in the late 80's. This was the start of the move away from sober high street banking to casino banking where the risks were massive, as were the rewards.

If you want to blame Labour, it was the lack of using the tax revenues from financial services, to better insulate the UK economy. Financial services became too dominant.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

antifrank said:

I expect he thought that they would go home before they got old, as have large numbers of immigrants in the past.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

antifrank said:

IIUC immigrants tend to have more kids so it'll be them instead, but either way you get to i
    Labour did not allow the banking system to explode on a worldwide basis. The start of relaxed banking regulation started under Thatcher in the late 80's. This was the start of the move away from sober high street banking to casino banking where the risks were massive, as were the rewards.

If you want to blame Labour, it was the lack of using the tax revenues from financial services, to better insulate the UK economy. Financial services became too dominant.

The current labour argument is " there was a group of lemmings out there so we joined them". I can understand Labourites wanting to deny they screwed up and blame someone else but until they face up to their mess and apologise the mud will stick.

As for financial services, Labour presided over the butchering of UK manufacturing and accentuated the unbalancing of the economy.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke
    The fact that almost every other western banking system collapsed around the same time is irrelevant?
    Nice wriggle....but no cigar.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Alanbrooke
    The fact that almost every other western banking system collapsed around the same time is irrelevant?
    Nice wriggle....but no cigar.

Labour argument = I was a sheep just like everyone else.

So basically you're saying you're easily duped. You shouldn't be let near other people's money on that basis.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    @hucks67

Who were the two who originally decided to deregulate "and set capitalism free"?
    The seeds were sown well before Blair and Brown, though I agree that both were stupid enough to believe the rank insanity.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@hucks67

Who were the two who originally decided to deregulate "and set capitalism free"?
    The seeds were sown well before Blair and Brown, though I agree that both were stupid enough to believe the rank insanity.

Did Labour reverse deregulation or push on even harder ?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    People who point to a net increase in GDP because of mass immigration asa a defence, while ignoring the effect on youth unemployment and the wages of the lowest paid are effectively arguing in favour of a tax increase on the poorest in society and a cut for those at the top of the tree

it's a logical argument from ruthless free market capitalists, but from the Labour Party???.
  • Options
    isam said:

People who point to a net increase in GDP because of mass immigration asa a defence, while ignoring the effect on youth unemployment and the wages of the lowest paid are effectively arguing in favour of a tax increase on the poorest in society and a cut for those at the top of the tree

it's a logical argument from ruthless free market capitalists, but from the Labour Party???.

Labour don't do WWC.
  • Options
    @Alanbrooke

No,to there eternal shame, they along with several other leaders, bought into the idea that money can directly make money without an intermediate stage (usually "production").
    One economist who had a half baked idea that suited the ideology of the times set the whole mess rolling.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Why?

A Lab>LD move would show up in the LD numbers. The LD numbers have been flat since late 2010.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,210

Cyclefree said:

In London the absolute focus of all local parties is the May Borough elections - not GE2015.

As a general rule there is far far more activity for local council seats then general elections.

If your ward is solid Tory or LD-CON then it is not suprising that you are not seeing much LAB effort.

I live in a marginal where there are not local elections this year so the effort is on GE2105

My ward is pretty solidly Lib Dem which is why I would have expected more Labour activity. At any event, it's interesting to see the activity there has been.

And, in response to Max: thanks for the thoughtful response. You're right on pretty much everything except where I live. I have been priced out of Hampstead proper by those dastardly bankers!!

• Options

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Why?

A Lab>LD move would show up in the LD numbers. The LD numbers have been flat since late 2010.
    Except in the last ICM. Bit of a Lab -> LD swing there.

• Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Cyclefree said:

UKIP, which now have almost 34K members and many more supporters, are now getting it's boots on the ground, at least in London and the areas around London that I have been informed about. Leafleting and pounding the pavements are now in full swing.
  • Options
    Let us all remind ourselves that banking was well regualted in 1997. The Big Bang opened markets and regulation - but did so rather well, especially in the area of systemic risk, which was then still centrally controlled by the BoE. MArkets for financial services are NOT the problem.

The problem arose when Gordon, in his infinite wisdom, decided to take control away from the Bank, split the oversight role, create the useless FSA, and thereby effectively remove systemic risk management form the whole. If he'd done nothing at all to the regualtory regime during Labour's 13 years our banks would not have exploded.

Borrowing like a fool and spending like a drunk sailor in a whorehouse for 13 years didn't help alot either. Brown created the bubble and he took away the mechanism to stop things getting out of hand too. O neman has done alot more to damage this country than all the terrorists have ever done put together.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Cyclefree said:

UKIP, which now have almost 34K members and many more supporters, are now getting it's boots on the ground, at least in London and the areas around London that I have been informed about. Leafleting and pounding the pavements are now in full swing.
    Which bits of London ?

Not Lewisham I am guessing...
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Cyclefree said:

But is UKIP knocking on doors, talking to voters, and feeding the responses into smart computer systems?

• Options
    @Patrick

Money being used to directly make money is what it always has been from time immemorial,.
    A ponzi scheme.
    This doesn't stop people believing in it though.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,390
    Congratulations to Mike on his Twitter award. It would surely not be presumptuous to say that this doesn't just apply to Twitter, but to his influence in the overall public debate as well.

On topic, and after a long break, this is an interesting poll that’s drawn me to comment. Do we know which marginals? For instance, does it just cover seats currently held by the Conservatives? Or does it cover marginals from their *current* base, say, any seat held by the three main parties with a majority< 5,000? I’ll admit I haven’t researched the methodology.

This matters because the results may partly be a function of the parties targeting strategies. Last time I checked, Grant Shapps was planning on a “40:40” strategy (defend the 40 most marginal seats and go for the 40 most marginal labour seats) to deliver a Tory majority. If this is the case, it’s possibly that approx. 50 seats that the Conservatives gained in 2010 are seeing very little activity at present. The Liberal Democrat strategy is probably entirely defensive. I don’t know the Labour strategy but where they have selected candidates (sometimes even before) they seem to be hitting the ground hard. It'd be interesting to see if any results correllate to this.

Notwithstanding the difficulty of polling the marginals, if the Conservatives truly are performing below average in the marginals, it wouldn’t surprise me. There has been a big drop in party membership over the last few years. There are fewer ‘troops on the ground’ and this must be having an effective on canvassing returns and leafleting activity. Furthermore, my understanding is that Ashcroft is no longer supporting marginal seats as he did extensively in 2005-2010.

This may well cause problems in the build-up to the 2015 election. I know Shapps is trying to compensate by getting ‘supporters’ registered for £1 (who will no doubt then be encouraged to deliver leaflets!) but there’s not much evidence they will. Furthermore, a lot of troops were provided by Countryside Alliance in 2010 focused on the marginal seats. They have made their anger at the government clear for failing to deliver the hunting vote. I doubt many will turn out next year.

Against this is the 1st time incumbency factor and the £10k communication allowance that allows sitting MPs to pump out literature, but I do get the impression the Conservatives are complacent about this. It is clearly from the posts on here – and evidence from elsewhere – that Labour have stepped-up their game over the last year and the Conservatives need to match this. It's clear Labour know exactly where to target and who to squeeze. Since the Liberal Democrats won't help, the Conservatives need to work out what they can do.

I hope the 40:40 strategy does not appear hubristic in May 2015. Personally, I’d be following a 60:20 strategy on the quiet now. It wouldn't surprise me if this is what Shapps will switch to once the campaign starts in earnest. But by then it might be too late.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, welcome back :)

I could be wrong, but I think the communications allowance has gone. I certainly hope it has.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

MikeK said:

Cyclefree said:

But is UKIP knocking on doors, talking to voters, and feeding the responses into smart computer systems?

I really can't say if responses are being fed into a data bank, Mike. We are certainly talking to people and engaging in discussion and debate. Which I will have to leave to others from the end of next week, as I prepare to have my cataracts removed and new lenses put into my eyes.

Perhaps then I'll be able to read what i'm writing! Cheers.
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@Patrick

Money being used to directly make money is what it always has been from time immemorial,.
    A ponzi scheme.
    This doesn't stop people believing in it though.

Be very careful Smarmeron. If a bank 'borrows' from savers and lends to companies it is indeed supporting and enabling concrete value creation. Its own profits are immaterial to that. If a bank lends money it has not borrowed then it is also supporting value creation - but also creating an element of systemic risk. This is not a problem as long as the overall risk is acceptable. For that we need central regulation of banking capital adequacy, money creation and economy wide levels of indebtedness / solvency. It's NOT a ponzi scheme until it is allowed to expand beyond the sensible into the stupid. In 1997 it was sensible, Gordon Brown made it into a Ponzi.

Economies cannot survive without credit. 99% of all human development and improvement in living standards across history has happened since about 1600a.d. with the invention of joint stock companies and capital markets. We have the ability to control these - just sometimes not the will.
  • Options

This matters because the results may partly be a function of the parties targeting strategies. Last time I checked, Grant Shapps was planning on a “40:40” strategy (defend the 40 most marginal seats and go for the 40 most marginal labour seats) to deliver a Tory majority. If this is the case, it’s possibly that approx. 50 seats that the Conservatives gained in 2010 are seeing very little activity at present. The Liberal Democrat strategy is probably entirely defensive. I don’t know the Labour strategy but where they have selected candidates (sometimes even before) they seem to be hitting the ground hard. It'd be interesting to see if any results correllate to this.

I believe the 40 Conservative targets are half LD, and half Labour.

http://www.conservativehome.com/parliament/2013/05/by-mark-wallacefollowmarkon-twitter-in-october-cchq-announced-that-it-was-launching-a-4040-strategy-aimed-at-winning-the.html
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @PickardJE: Miliband to announce review on Friday into high street banks - whether to cap market share and at what level - rather than definitive action

Note to Neil. I hereby predict this Fag Packet idea will not propel Ed into Downing Street.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

Patrick said:

Why?

Except in the last ICM. Bit of a Lab -> LD swing there.

No. The LDs are flat with ICM too. ~15%.

The January LD ICM was:
    2011: 15%
    2012: 16%
    2013: 15%
    2014: 14%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion_polling_for_the_next_United_Kingdom_general_election
  • Options
    @Patrick
    If a bank invests money in a factory, and takes its share of profit from the goods produced,that is "reality"
    The problem starts when they add the profits from the perceived rise in the factories "assets", then it becomes mere "belief"
    It is in these inflated asset prices that the ponzi starts.
    Another property boom anyone? Guaranteed return on investment with no work involved?
  • Options
    Greetings, comrades and capitalist pigdogs (your decadent bank shares shall be confiscated!).

Once more brave Comrade Miliband spearheads socialist thinking in the post-crisis world!

Already he has promised to freeze energy bills, a wise and foresighted measure opposed only by those who hate the poor and mutter about the negligible risk of blackouts. Then Comrade Miliband, aghast at the Coalition of Capitalists plans to price out the poor from exercise and condemn them all the obesity, promised that all exercise would be affordable and many (including running, jumping and ballroom dancing) would be free.

Now he has turned the sights of his revolutionary rifle upon the enemy within: the banks and the bowler hat-wearing, pinstriped moneymen who run them.

Only by restricting their market share, closing branches, and hanging the more offensive executives from lamp posts can we possibly hope to encourage more banks to open and enter the UK market and thereby encourage competition.

Otherwise we will retain the predominance of several large banks, intent upon awarding its executives obscene bonuses, grinding the poor underfoot and wrecking the economy to feather their own nests!

The only way to foster new banks and encourage them is to ruthlessly smite the profiteering pigdogs who have had the temerity to lavish upon themselves boundless wealth in a vain hope to satiate their inhuman capitalist greed. Those who make profits shall be destroyed! Those who do not shall be rescued!
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Scott_P said:

@PickardJE: Miliband to announce review on Friday into high street banks - whether to cap market share and at what level - rather than definitive action

Note to Neil. I hereby predict this Fag Packet idea will not propel Ed into Downing Street.

Note to Avery. I hereby predict this announcement will not cause the collapse of the UK economy.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Miliband and the 25% banking plan.

Isn't there a teensy, weensy little conflict of interest given Labour's connections with the CoOp Group and the CoOp bank? Trying to reduce the size of the large banks may well help the smaller ones, such as the CoOp.

Still, it's stupid, as the CoOp's own crisis shows: it's not the size of the bank, but the (mis)management.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,390
    Morrisdancer - many thanks. If the communication allowance has gone (I am rusty) that then can only increase the challenge for sitting Tory MPs.

anotherDave - thanks. The Tories might pick up a few a seats from the Lib Dems. I seem to recall that in 2010 the Tories only picked up 6 (?) lib-dem seats they were targetting where the existing sitting Lib Dem MP, rather than a new candidate, so this might only carry them so far. In any event, it's defence against a resurgent Labour that knows exactly how and where to pick its fights that I'd be worried about.

[Oh.. my boss has just called me out to help her with a client meeting. Will drop in later]
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983

Still, it's stupid, as the CoOp's own crisis shows: it's not the size of the bank, but the (mis)management.

I think you have managed to completely miss the point.
  • Options
    Ed's banking ruse is pretty much the same as George's "tough decisions, £25 billion more of cuts with no tax rises" ruse. Both are designed to discomfit the other side. Ed wants the Tories to defend banks; George wants Labour to defend the benefits system. The practicalities of implementation are very much secondary considerations.
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014
    Burberry Group Plc announced a an increase in revenue of 14 percent to £528 million in the three months ending 2013, beating analyst expectations and sending their shares up 7.2%.

The economic recovery must be reaching the coastal towns of Essex, Lincolnshire and Kent.

Good news for the Tories as the more fashionable Kippers are now likely to migrate back to their mother party.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035
    Neil said:

I think you have managed to completely miss the point.
    Go on then, what is the point?
  • Options
    On topic: My take on this is that the general experience in the UK is that the best guide to general elections is to look at the well-established, reputable national polls, and apply UNS to convert these to predicted seat totals. It's dull, but experience suggests it works better than trying to do anything fancier.

Of course, the election is not for another 16 months, so national polls at the moment don't have particularly high predictive power; we can typically expect variations in party vote-share positions of 5 points or more over such a period.
This discussion has been closed.