Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Davey reminds us of the threat his party poses in “blue wall” seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    Charles said:

ping said:
    If it helps ours failed in May and Ofgem arranged EDF to take over the contract on the same terms and with no supply interruption
    I currently don't have one. Octopus closed my account in error, they thought I was moving out. I'm still using gas and electricity, no idea who it belongs to.
    You should find out otherwise you will get a nasty surprise when they ask you to pay the back cost
    There is a time limit on how far back the supplier can bill you for. In our previous house we didn't receive any bills despite contacting the supplier. In the end, some time after we had moved, they sent us a final bill for £0. We got over two years of gas and electricity for free.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077

Regret to inform you all that the Guardian has done *another* piece on wild swimming.

https://twitter.com/katebevan/status/1439624266618753030?s=20

How disgusting. We all know that rivers only exist for farmers and water companies to dump shit in. Thank you for performing this vital public service and alerting us to this sick filth.
    This is where my friends and I swam last week. We’ve all been ill since our last swim trek up the river. This new knowledge is making me feel even queasier 🤢 Thank you @Feargal_Sharkey 😩 https://t.co/wGPP3PC96z

https://twitter.com/jowhiley/status/1437767225390374915?s=19
    An ex-colleague of mine was a rower on the Cam. A friend of his got very ill after a dunking with a waterborne disease (I cannot remember which one); the other crew in his eights were fine. This sort of thing can be distressingly random.
    The state of Britain's rivers is a fucking disgrace. It's one of those things that can make me all dolphins-in-the-Faroesy
  • Options
    pigeonpigeon Posts: 4,132
    edited September 2021
    Carnyx said:

Regret to inform you all that the Guardian has done *another* piece on wild swimming.

Can you combine wild swimming with wild camping and foraging for your dinner to claim some kind of triple crown of wankness?
    I think the guardian wild swimming brigade are more the glamping types are they not?
    Christ. Glamping. Another concept that should burn in hell for all eternity.

If you don't want to rough it in a tent, stay in a fecking hotel.
    I don't know. We once stayed overnight in a nature reserve out in the hills above Adelaide where mirabile dictu the usual families and school parties were absent and we had it to ourselves overnight. The place was wall to wall marsupials during the midnight walk with the ranger. We could hear the noises off through the canvas - though Mrs C was not entirely happy in the morning as she had difficulty sleeping for the male koalas' cries.
    Ah, but did you stay in a shepherd's hut?

EDIT: judging by the references to canvas, no. So that wasn't glamping.
  • Options

It would be great to know as a potential blue to orange switcher what Davey's vision is with taxes and spending?

From the sound of it Davey was talking earlier this week about tax rises but I'm not sure which?

Against the punative tax rises on the working poor and small business. In favour of fair taxes for the big companies and targeted borrowing for investment into long-term strategic uses such as educational attaiment.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

It would be great to know as a potential blue to orange switcher what Davey's vision is with taxes and spending?

From the sound of it Davey was talking earlier this week about tax rises but I'm not sure which?

Against the punative tax rises on the working poor and small business. In favour of fair taxes for the big companies and targeted borrowing for investment into long-term strategic uses such as educational attaiment.
    "punitive" and "fair" are less helpful than actual numbers. Everyone's in favour of "fair" taxes!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,678
    edited September 2021
    pigeon said:

Carnyx said:

Can you combine wild swimming with wild camping and foraging for your dinner to claim some kind of triple crown of wankness?
    I think the guardian wild swimming brigade are more the glamping types are they not?

I don't know. We once stayed overnight in a nature reserve out in the hills above Adelaide where mirabile dictu the usual families and school parties were absent and we had it to ourselves overnight. The place was wall to wall marsupials during the midnight walk with the ranger. We could hear the noises off through the canvas - though Mrs C was not entirely happy in the morning as she had difficulty sleeping for the male koalas' cries.
    Ah, but did you stay in a shepherd's hut?

EDIT: judging by the references to canvas, no. So that wasn't glamping.
    It was a sort of hybrid - timber floor and framework but canvas skin.

Edit: and WC etc.

Not sure if that counts as glamping ...

When I was a child we used to stay at the Scottish seaside in an old railway carriage (NBR guards' 6 wheeler I think at this remove, still with much of the interior) which had kitchen, WC, second bedroom, and a sort ofd sitting room/sunroom added as leantos over time. No idea if we were glamping devant la lettre.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h
    This is genuinely extraordinary. The Orwellian double-think needed to make such statements is terrifying.

A woman is an adult human female. That's a fact. Trans women are biological men who choose to live as women, as they should be free to do. But they're not women. #IAmAWoman

===

She's talking about Ed Davey's statement that a trans woman is a woman.

Isn't this debate easily solved by the fact that sex and gender are different things, which usually align but not 100%. Sex describes someone's genitalia and gender describes someone's brain chemistry and identity.
    Yes - I've been saying similar for months. Gender is what you identify as and sex is what sex you are. It must be possible for sex and gender to differ or what would be the point of having two words for the same thing. Hartley-Brewer is spot on.
    It's facile though imo.

- "You are a man who identifies as a woman."
    - "No, I'm a woman who was born a boy."

I don't see that this get us very far.

The issue, at heart and in practice, is about what you are legally, a man or a woman, the process/controls around changing from one to the other, and to what extent (if any) female only spaces and activities should be able to exclude transwomen.
    Let me simplify

“Women only spaces should not be open to trans women with penises”
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h
    This is genuinely extraordinary. The Orwellian double-think needed to make such statements is terrifying.

A woman is an adult human female. That's a fact. Trans women are biological men who choose to live as women, as they should be free to do. But they're not women. #IAmAWoman

===

She's picking on the wrong party. If you want ansty screaming matches about trans rights like its the most important issue bar Palestine, the Labour conference is next week.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

More allegations about Prince Charles. Who would vote for this idiot if we had any say?

His mother?
    I imaging she'd be torn between voting for him or Andrew. Pair of reprobates.
    Doesn't a mother always love their child no matter

Mind you we both miss the point she does not have a vote

She's the Queen !!!!!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

TL;DR

Less tax for @RochdalePioneers!

More tax for people he thinks are bad!
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

Isn't this debate easily solved by the fact that sex and gender are different things, which usually align but not 100%. Sex describes someone's genitalia and gender describes someone's brain chemistry and identity.
    Yes - I've been saying similar for months. Gender is what you identify as and sex is what sex you are. It must be possible for sex and gender to differ or what would be the point of having two words for the same thing. Hartley-Brewer is spot on.
    It's facile though imo.

The issue, at heart and in practice, is about what you are legally, a man or a woman, the process/controls around changing from one to the other, and to what extent (if any) female only spaces and activities should be able to exclude transwomen.
    Let me simplify

So the issue is with cocks rather than biology?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Essexit said:

Ed Davey's interview with Marr this morning was interesting, and not good for Davey / the Lib Dems.

Marr pointed out that the candidate in Chesham and Amersham had won by going against national Lib Dem positions on planning and HS2. On the former Davey mounted his own rather half-hearted attack on the planning reforms, without explaining what the Lib Dem alternative to fix housing supply is. On the latter, he argued that Sarah Green had the same stance as Cheryl Gillan, as if this was a relevant point. Clearly the Lib Dems can win by-elections by taking different and contradictory positions according to the circumstances of the place, but the tactic isn't as applicable to general elections.

On trans rights, and being asked why a member was disciplined for wearing a 'Woman: adult human female' t-shirt, his response was to blame Boris Johnson for 'toxifying the debate', which is odd as I can't recall Johnson mentioning the trans/sex-based rights issue once in his premiership. He also confirmed the Lib Dem position as one which would allow people to identify their way into spaces intended for the opposite sex, which goes down like a cup of cold sick with a lot of women.

Finally, Davey just doesn't look or sound like a party leader. There's no fire in his belly. He makes SKS look exciting.

I'd have thought he was a good leader for the task ahead - win enough Con seats in affluent Remainer areas to put Keir Starmer in Number 10.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,077

Hmm. I wonder how much influence Carrie had over the setting up of AUUKUS. The Australian Liberal Party has traditionally been the most climate-sceptic in the western world. They'll be under huge pressure to subscribe to Biden's environmental policies now that he and Boris/Carrie have so much power over their military. Same goes with the Tory Right here - they can hardly start lambasting the green agenda when it's their man Uncle Joe who's pushing it. Carrie might just have played a blinder here.

You'll like this

The opinion of a national Italian newspaper

"Boris Johnson, your Brexit is a triumph: because an isolated EU has realized it has lost"

"Whoever emerges triumphant from this new alliance is certainly Boris Johnson who attributes a strong geostrategic sense to Brexit, giving the United Kingdom a diplomatic and military leadership that it hadn't had for a long time. "

https://www.liberoquotidiano.it/news/europa/28734369/boris-johnson-brexit-trionfo-perche-ue-isolata-capito-aver-perso.html
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

You think the cock is a cultural construct? Mine is biological af.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

How about those who are transitioning, and have to live as a woman for two years before the op?

" the panel must be satisfied that you have lived in your true gender for two years before you make your application"
    https://www.ngalaw.co.uk/knowledge-centre/changing-your-legal-gender-in-the-uk
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

She's picking on the wrong party. If you want ansty screaming matches about trans rights like its the most important issue bar Palestine, the Labour conference is next week.
    I had no view on this matter until I heard Ed Davey this morning shocking silence when asked how he has allowed an activist to be banned from the party for 10 years for wearing a T shirt
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Well I was born a man. If i cut off my penis would I be allowed in a woman only space in @CarlottaVance ’s world?

If so, then its not about biology but merely about presence of a penis, which is different isn’t it. Should be honest about it.

I will continue my position of not expressing a definitive opinion on the matter as I feel it is not my place.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,193

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Are gay men to be banned from men’s changing rooms because they have penises and the straight men in there have anuses?

(I ask this in a neutral way — I am actually sympathetic to your position…)
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited September 2021

MattW said:

ping said:

ping said:
    If it helps ours failed in May and Ofgem arranged EDF to take over the contract on the same terms and with no supply interruption
    Honouring existing tariffs is optional. Right now, I don’t think any company taking over can afford to honour cheap fixes.

A few months ago, Green were encouraging customers to top up their accounts, giving 10% extra credit. I read on one forum, there are customers who took advantage and now have five figure credit balances.

This could all get very messy…
    I am a little bit worried about this spike in energy prices. Do we know what is causing it?
    A combination of things, including the French interconnector being down due to a fire.

But in the medium term, we're going to have to get used to higher energy prices. That's the cost of going green.
    Alok Sharma was asked this morning if the £150 annual green levy may be cancelled

He was non committal but how many know abut this green charge
    Absurd suggestion.

1 - The small ones going bust don't pay it.
    2 - It's the only working green programme currently running.
    3 - All the people complaining about over high prices because they haven't invested in their homes can get help from it to improve their insulation and so on.

Lord save us from this clowning...
    It was a simple question put to him by Marr

And do you know how much homeowners have availed themselves of the scheme

12. ECO currently places an obligation on larger energy suppliers to achieve carbon and notional
    bill savings by promoting and installing energy efficiency measures into domestic homes. Since
    its introduction, ECO has delivered over 2.3m measures to over 1.8m homes

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749638/ECO_3_Final_Stage_IA__Final.pdf

I believe that number is 2013-2018.

A "measure" might be "insulating a loft" or "cavity wall insulation". My general experience is that simple stuff like 250mm loft insulation is free, whilst more complex stuff eg new boiler may be free for those earning benefits. But each energy company, and sometimes local bodies doing the work, have their own slightly variable rules.

Certainly it is not big enough for everything that needs doing, but paying for improved efficiency by increasing bills is an excellent principle, and it is thought through and well-targeted mainly at Fuel Poverty and addressing the general targets of achieving Band E by last year, Band D by 2025, and Band C by 2030. These also regulate what can legally be rented out.

There have been free advice lines around for most of the last decade, so if they haven't it's not anybody else's fault. It's a proven model that works.

I have had about 4/5 houses done over a few years, and a couple of free boilers where tenants qualify, which leaves me headroom to spend money on making other things even better.

Personally, I've been banging this drum loudly for 6 or 7 years, now, wherever I can.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    edited September 2021
    Farooq said:

More allegations about Prince Charles. Who would vote for this idiot if we had any say?

He has done a great deal with the Princes trust and was fundraising for his charities, political parties have taken donations to party funds for honours for the last 100 years so I don't see why it is much different?
  • Options
    Toms said:

We should be willing to pay more for food too: bring back mixed, even organic, farming and employ more people. Treat the earth with respect.

P/S Reverend Sue, and others---good on yah.

https://christianclimateaction.org/2021/03/18/revd-sue-parfitt-79-commits-contempt-of-court-over-climate-emergency/

As organic farming needs more land use to produce food than we have available, it is (in my opinion) bollocks.
  • Options
    MattW said:

MattW said:

ping said:

ping said:
    Honouring existing tariffs is optional. Right now, I don’t think any company taking over can afford to honour cheap fixes.

A few months ago, Green were encouraging customers to top up their accounts, giving 10% extra credit. I read on one forum, there are customers who took advantage and now have five figure credit balances.

This could all get very messy…
    I am a little bit worried about this spike in energy prices. Do we know what is causing it?
    A combination of things, including the French interconnector being down due to a fire.

But in the medium term, we're going to have to get used to higher energy prices. That's the cost of going green.
    Alok Sharma was asked this morning if the £150 annual green levy may be cancelled

He was non committal but how many know abut this green charge
    Absurd suggestion.

1 - The small ones going bust don't pay it.
    2 - It's the only working green programme currently running.
    3 - All the people complaining about over high prices because they haven't invested in their homes can get help from it to improve their insulation and so on.

Lord save us from this clowning...
    It was a simple question put to him by Marr

And do you know how much homeowners have availed themselves of the scheme

12. ECO currently places an obligation on larger energy suppliers to achieve carbon and notional
    bill savings by promoting and installing energy efficiency measures into domestic homes. Since
    its introduction, ECO has delivered over 2.3m measures to over 1.8m homes

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/749638/ECO_3_Final_Stage_IA__Final.pdf

A "measure" might be "insulating a loft" or "cavity wall insulation".

I believe that number is 2013-2018, so certainly it is not big enough for everything that needs doing, but paying for improved efficiency by increasing bills is an excellent principle, and it is thought through and well-targeted mainly at Fuel Poverty and addressing the general targets of achieving Band E by last year, Band D by 2025, and Band C by 2030. These also regulate what can legally be rented out.

There have been free advice lines around for most of the last decade, so if they haven't it's not anybody else's fault.

I have had about 4/5 houses done over a few years, and a couple of free boilers where tenants qualify, which leaves me headroom to spend money on making other things even better.

Personally, I've been banging this drum loudly for 6 or 7 years, now, wherever I can.
    Thank you for your answer
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

How about those who are transitioning, and have to live as a woman for two years before the op?

" the panel must be satisfied that you have lived in your true gender for two years before you make your application"
    They should live as their gender but not be allowed into female-only spaces until after they've transitioned.

If the rules need fixing to satisfy the panel with that easier, then that should be done rather than having safeguarding issues for women.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,965

I saw someone swimming in the Great Ouse in Godmanchester the other morning.

First time in ages I'd seen anyone doing it. They're a lot braver than I am...
    Spent much of the summer swimming in English rivers. You should try it.
    I'm not against the idea; I'm not a very good swimmer, and I have other hobbies.

I once spent a year walking around the coast. in all that time by the sea, including the scorchingly hot summer of 2003, I only took one dip in the sea, and also a loch on the same day.

And had sex in the loch.

Thinking about it, that's perhaps why I don't like wild swimming: who knows what other people have been up to in the water! ;)
    Nobody is forcing anyone to swim.

The ludicrous obsession with wild swimming on this forum by people who have no apparent interest in wild swimming is utterly pathetic.

If you don’t want to swim in open water, don’t swim in open water.

It really is that simple.
  • Options
    The LDs are Starmer's little helpers, reaching into posh parts of Surrey, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Bucks Labour never could and if the Tories are deprived of a majority LD gains from the Tories in Remain parts of the Home Counties would be pivotal to that
  • Options

I'm not against the idea; I'm not a very good swimmer, and I have other hobbies.

I once spent a year walking around the coast. in all that time by the sea, including the scorchingly hot summer of 2003, I only took one dip in the sea, and also a loch on the same day.

And had sex in the loch.

Thinking about it, that's perhaps why I don't like wild swimming: who knows what other people have been up to in the water! ;)

The ludicrous obsession with wild swimming on this forum by people who have no apparent interest in wild swimming is utterly pathetic.

I dont think anyone really cares about wild swimming mate
  • Options

How disgusting. We all know that rivers only exist for farmers and water companies to dump shit in. Thank you for performing this vital public service and alerting us to this sick filth.
    This is where my friends and I swam last week. We’ve all been ill since our last swim trek up the river. This new knowledge is making me feel even queasier 🤢 Thank you @Feargal_Sharkey 😩 https://t.co/wGPP3PC96z

An ex-colleague of mine was a rower on the Cam. A friend of his got very ill after a dunking with a waterborne disease (I cannot remember which one); the other crew in his eights were fine. This sort of thing can be distressingly random.
    Then stick to municipal swimming pools or your own bath. No risk taken, no harm done.
  • Options

Toms said:

We should be willing to pay more for food too: bring back mixed, even organic, farming and employ more people. Treat the earth with respect.

https://christianclimateaction.org/2021/03/18/revd-sue-parfitt-79-commits-contempt-of-court-over-climate-emergency/

As organic farming needs more land use to produce food than we have available, it is (in my opinion) bollocks.
    Esp the currently modish "woodland pasture" which cashes out at about 1 beast per 1,000 acres on land also needed for housing and rewilding and stuff like that. Lovely idea, not gonna happen.
  • Options
    RIP John Challis, aka Boycie, one of the great comic characters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58617114
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

To be fair, every party to the left of the Tories is getting itself into a right pickle over this.

Goodness knows why.

There must be an opportunity for a 'Women don't have cocks and tax the rich' party.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,144
    HYUFD said:

The LDs are Starmer's little helpers, reaching into posh parts of Surrey, Oxfordshire, Hampshire and Bucks Labour never could and if the Tories are deprived of a majority LD gains from the Tories in Remain parts of the Home Counties would be pivotal to that

Of course. That’s the plan. Worked in 97 and what did Blair do to his Lib Dem helpers ?
  • Options

Again, you are at liberty to choose your own accommodation. Why do you seek to impose your preferences on others?
  • Options

A relative owns a campsite, and has a few glamping-style pods.

We stayed in one for a night over the summer. It was a wonderful experience, considering Mrs J and nights under canvas don't get on. The little 'un loved it.

Each to their own.

One March, decades ago, I did a hike in Derbyshire, and stopped off at a campsite near Fenny Bentley. I had my teeny backpacking tent. Whilst I was cooking my food (on a Trangia), a car turned up at the pitch beside me, and a man put up a humongous tent whilst his companion watched. Then they had a small argument, and decamped to the nearest pub. Later their car returned, they gathered some stuff up, and left. The next morning, he turned up alone to take the tent down. She had got to the pub and refused to return to the tent, and they'd got a room instead...
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

To be fair, every party to the left of the Tories is getting itself into a right pickle over this.

Goodness knows why.

There must be an opportunity for a 'Women don't have cocks and tax the rich' party.
    Isn’t that the Tory party?
  • Options
    Farooq said:

"punitive" and "fair" are less helpful than actual numbers. Everyone's in favour of "fair" taxes!
    We haven't done an alternative budget. And as we aren't about to be in government we don't need to. This is about principles. Don't give a "read my lips no tax rises" pledge and then wham taxes up targeting the people who can least afford them. Doubly so when the excuse is "fix social care" knowing that it will not fix social care.~

Not being a bastard is something worth voting for even if its only principles and your level of bastardity hasn't been fully costed
  • Options

Toms said:

But it commands a healthy premium. Ker ching.
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Well I was born a man. If i cut off my penis would I be allowed in a woman only space in @CarlottaVance ’s world?

If so, then its not about biology but merely about presence of a penis, which is different isn’t it. Should be honest about it.

I will continue my position of not expressing a definitive opinion on the matter as I feel it is not my place.
    For someone who doesn’t feel it isn’t there place you don’t half bang in about it.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

The single biggest issue, though not the only one, is with women-only services and safe spaces, which in turn relates to gender-based power dynamics. Hence the fact that nearly all the brouhaha is about M to F transsexuals. Transmen are seldom, if ever, regarded as a threat.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

RIP John Challis, aka Boycie, one of the great comic characters

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58617114

Played Scorby in the seminal dr who story, seeds of doom, in 1976. His greatest role.
  • Options
    Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

For someone who doesn’t feel it isn’t there place you don’t half bang in about it.
    I hardly ever comment on the matter. Today is an exception.
  • Options

Then stick to municipal swimming pools or your own bath. No risk taken, no harm done.
    Yeah, I'm not saying no-one else can do it. It's just not my thing. I'm not a keen swimmer.

(Actually, I'm more interested in allowing people to Kayak or canoe along our rivers. Too many are out of bounds. And I don't do that, either...)
  • Options
    carnforth said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Are gay men to be banned from men’s changing rooms because they have penises and the straight men in there have anuses?

No, but grown men are as I understand it banned from boys' changing rooms for pretty much that reason, absent an excuse to be there and a crb check.

None of this is in any way difficult, but it does seem to attract a lot of liberaller than thou attention signallers. Like I said, gammon children who have found a woke costume in the dressing up box.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Ok, entry to female facilities and spaces via presentation of genitalia. We'll need to decide whether it should be blanket checks or by random sample. Or - maybe more practical - no checks but just have really punitive penalties (eg big fines) for contravention if discovered.

It's extreme and would put us at odds with most of the world but it's the view of many, I know, and so it's noted.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

I had no view on this matter until I heard Ed Davey this morning shocking silence when asked how he has allowed an activist to be banned from the party for 10 years for wearing a T shirt
    If you want that to be the cover you hide behind when you vote Tory next time feel free. Personally I couldn't give a toss about the issue and neither will 99.9% of voters. The less time politicians spend trying to square the trans rights circle the more time they have to tackle actual issues.

Society will find a balance on this one. It is futile trying to impose a balance.
  • Options

And had sex in the loch.

I dont think anyone really cares about wild swimming mate
    Chance would be a fine thing.
  • Options

Farooq said:

His mother?
    They seem to be trying a bit too hard.

The first one is a personal thank-you letter from Charles in return for a £500k donation to the Prince's Trust, which is a body to help young people and has helped nearly 1 million since it was set up, seems pretty much fine.

The allegations are about Charles' fixer doing things that he did not know about. And there do not seem afaics to be things like kighthoods flying around.

But I did not read all of it.

Anti-Charles campaigners who do not seem to be very effective scandal-mongers, to my eye.
  • Options

Toms said:

The problem isn't a shortage of agricultural land.

The problem is an excess of people.

Organic farming is best for the planet, best for livestock and best for us.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

Goodness knows why.

Isn’t that the Tory party?
    Nah, the Government shows no interest in wading into the trans screaming match and precious little in taxing the rich either. As we know very well from the NHS Tax, they chose to clobber workers with national insurance hikes in preference to capital gains, the upper income tax bands or anything that would raid property wealth.
  • Options

Toms said:

The number of people is generally regarded as a given.
  • Options

And had sex in the loch.

And if you don't want people to take the piss, drop the 'wild' and just call it 'swimming' like everyone else.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    edited September 2021

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

They should live as their gender but not be allowed into female-only spaces until after they've transitioned.

If the rules need fixing to satisfy the panel with that easier, then that should be done rather than having safeguarding issues for women.
    So, dressed as a woman, they're meant to go into male bogs and potentially get beaten up?

How about safeguarding issues for them?

Edit: and practically, who checks? If a trans was to dress as a woman, go into a female toilet cubicle, and cause no hassle, what harm have they done? Are we going to have police checking their certificate of womanhood at the door?
  • Options

Taz said:

IshmaelZ said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

I hardly ever comment on the matter. Today is an exception.
    I’ve seen you’re banging on about cocks as well. FFS.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

So, dressed as a woman, they're meant to go into male bogs and potentially get beaten up?

I know!

But I feel a wave of 'not doing this one yet again' coming on.

CYAL.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

If you want that to be the cover you hide behind when you vote Tory next time feel free. Personally I couldn't give a toss about the issue and neither will 99.9% of voters. The less time politicians spend trying to square the trans rights circle the more time they have to tackle actual issues.

Society will find a balance on this one. It is futile trying to impose a balance.
    What a strange response

I need no cover to vote for whoever I want to in GE 24 but Ed Davey was not a good look this morning, no matter how you try to deflect it

I would also add it really angers my wife and if you think you will gain conservative voting seats on Davey's comments this morning you are in for a surprise

And as far as labour on the subject it comes to something when the Speaker has to intervene over the safety of Rosie Duffield at their own conference

This is a subject that labour, the lib dems and the snp seem to have got themselves into a mess
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    Charles said:

TL;DR

Less tax for @RochdalePioneers!

More tax for people he thinks are bad!
    I thought that was Boris Johnson's pitch.

Fancy Rochdale stealing Johnson's "new clothes".
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

About to change in Scotland.....Malc's a big fan! [NOT]

A draft bill has been set out that aims to remove barriers presently in place for an individual to secure the legal recognition of their gender identity.

It includes a proposal to scrap the current requirement for people to apply to the UK Gender Recognition Panel.

The draft bill would also remove the requirement for applicants to provide medical evidence of their diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

At the same time it would retain the requirement that applicants must make a solemn statutory declaration that they have been living in their acquired gender for three months and intend to do so permanently.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-51445579
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

carnforth said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

No, but grown men are as I understand it banned from boys' changing rooms for pretty much that reason, absent an excuse to be there and a crb check.

None of this is in any way difficult, but it does seem to attract a lot of liberaller than thou attention signallers. Like I said, gammon children who have found a woke costume in the dressing up box.
    Or perhaps, just perhaps, people who have met other people with very different life experiences.

And listened.
  • Options

And had sex in the loch.

And if you don't want people to take the piss, drop the 'wild' and just call it 'swimming' like everyone else.
    It’s useful shorthand, nothing more, like hiking vs walking. Get the chip off your shoulder, it’s utterly pathetic.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

A draft bill has been set out that aims to remove barriers presently in place for an individual to secure the legal recognition of their gender identity.

It includes a proposal to scrap the current requirement for people to apply to the UK Gender Recognition Panel.

The draft bill would also remove the requirement for applicants to provide medical evidence of their diagnosis of gender dysphoria.

At the same time it would retain the requirement that applicants must make a solemn statutory declaration that they have been living in their acquired gender for three months and intend to do so permanently.

Yeah, I'm potentially not a fan of that - the devil depends on the details, as is ever the case.
  • Options

Toms said:

There are undoubtedly too many people in Britain, especially England, but configuring policy in such a way as deaths exceed births for a few decades is a complicated and obviously time-consuming business. If we're going to get there by gradual, acceptable means rather than simply shooting one in two of the population in the head, all the extra mouths are going to need stuffing for a long time. Rochdale's merely questioning whether or not we have the capacity to go over entirely to organic whilst this problem persists, which we probably don't.
  • Options

And had sex in the loch.

They are trying to rebrand it Outdoor Swimming.

"Wild Swimming" has shades of Gerald the Gorilla.

Or perhaps it sounds elitist :smile:
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

I need no cover to vote for whoever I want to in GE 24 but Ed Davey was not a good look this morning, no matter how you try to deflect it

I would also add it really angers my wife and if you think you will gain conservative voting seats on Davey's comments this morning you are in for a surprise

And as far as labour on the subject it comes to something when the Speaker has to intervene over the safety of Rosie Duffield at their own conference

This is a subject that labour, the lib dems and the snp seem to have got themselves into a mess
    It Doesn't Matter. As I said, if people want to be against everything the Tories say and do but "LibDems banned a trans activist" gives them the excuse still to vote Tory and thus for all the things they are against, sobeit.

Frankly this is why Dorries has been appointed Wokewar secretary. Making the blue rinsers fear the woke is all they have left.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Male on male rape is very much less of a problem than male on female.

In addition men, whether gay or straight have similar strength - not the situation of men vs women (which is why I also think the presence of transgender women in female sports requiring strength is problematic)
  • Options

carnforth said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

In addition men, whether gay or straight have similar strength - not the situation of men vs women (which is why I also think the presence of transgender women in female sports requiring strength is problematic)
    You said it was about cocks, now you’re saying its about strength. Make your mind up
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

Goodness knows why.

My take on that is that the Transgenderist argument is lead by the extremist faction (if it counts as a faction).
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

It Doesn't Matter. As I said, if people want to be against everything the Tories say and do but "LibDems banned a trans activist" gives them the excuse still to vote Tory and thus for all the things they are against, sobeit.

Frankly this is why Dorries has been appointed Wokewar secretary. Making the blue rinsers fear the woke is all they have left.
    I genuinely do not think this is a woke issue, but I know my wife is alarmed, as is my daughter, and I just do not understand why the three left parties have got themselves into this mess
  • Options
    MattW said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

Goodness knows why.

My take on that is that the Transgenderist argument is lead by the extremist faction (if it counts as a faction).
    I don’t think anyone can disagree with that
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

I genuinely do not think this is a woke issue, but I know my wife is alarmed, as is my daughter, and I just do not understand why the three left parties have got themselves into this mess
    My girlfriend isn’t
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

That, I think, has the potential to move some votes.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Edit: and practically, who checks? If a trans was to dress as a woman, go into a female toilet cubicle, and cause no hassle, what harm have they done? Are we going to have police checking their certificate of womanhood at the door?
    For them if they don't want to use male toilets until they've transitioned to being women then using disabled or other neutral toilets in the interim seems logical.

But that doesn't seem a reason to abolish female-only spaces.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    I do not know the age of your girlfriend but I think it was said the older age group are the ones more alarmed by it

However, I really would like the issue to be toned down
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Re energy suppliers.

This what happens when you sell fixed, and buy variable. I.e., the price of wholesale electricity is not fixed, but the price at which you sell to consumers is. Suppliers could could have hedged (i.e. forward bought electricity), but they instead decided to take a chance to earn some extra profits.

Why has the price of wholesale electricity gone through the roof?

Well, that’s a classic knock on effect of Covid.

The price of electricity is (largely) set by the price of natural gas. Because that is the marginal producer.

Now, 18 months ago, as Covid hit, demand for electricity and natural gas collapsed. This resulted in a massive pull back by onshore oil and gas drillers. The number of rigs drilling in the US dropped by two-thirds.

In the old days, this wouldn’t have mattered so much. In the old days, oil and gas projects were long-term, and a drop in investment would only show up in production some time later. With onshore unconventionals, that’s not true any more. These new wells have pretty short lives. If you stop drilling, then the natural gas (and oil) stops flowing.

The market then did what it was supposed to do. The price of natural gas stabilised as drilling capacity got taken out the market.

This year, Covid is on the way out, and demand for natural gas is rising. The problem is that some people who worked on rigs got other jobs. And so, the rig count is taking more time to rise than one would expect for the current price of oil and gas. And this is feeding through to even higher natural gas prices.

Of course, this will overshoot the other way now. As natural gas prices get high and stay high, oil & gas companies will feel more confident in investing in production. And it’s not like we don’t know where the gas is. So this is a short term problem. But a very painful one for some energy companies.

My irritation here is that this is not a difficult market to hedge. Some things don’t have active futures markets, and so intermediaries are taking big risks. Energy isn’t like that. You want to sell an MMBTU in 2024 - you can do that. Suppliers got greedy. They thought - why bother hedging, when I can take extra profit. But they forgot that if they called it wrong they wouldn’t have a business.

When do you expect prices to fall?

I’m locked in until November and wondering when to refix (I like certainty for budgeting purposes) or whether I should ride the tiger down for a bit.
    I'm always slightly nervous about making calls about things which aren't my day job anymore.

But, my wild out of my ass guess is that natural gas prices peak early in 2022. There are quite a few big LNG projects that have been Covid delayed and which should start to impact the market next year. It only takes a few "excess" cargos in the market to really push the price of imported gas down.

• Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    Empathy is non-uniformly distributed. So is imagination.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Who has actually threatened Rosie Duffield?
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

WTF does this gibberish even mean. 😂😂😂😂
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    We have departments for undefined slogans now?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Department_for_Levelling_Up,_Housing_and_Communities

Local Government getting shafted even in the naming stakes now.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Ok, entry to female facilities and spaces via presentation of genitalia. We'll need to decide whether it should be blanket checks or by random sample. Or - maybe more practical - no checks but just have really punitive penalties (eg big fines) for contravention if discovered.

It's extreme and would put us at odds with most of the world but it's the view of many, I know, and so it's noted.
    99.9% of the time you don't need genital checks to know what sex someone is. I would take a slightly different view to Carlotta - access to spaces should be based on sex (transition or not), with third spaces provided where feasible.
  • Options

carnforth said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

You said it was about cocks, now you’re saying its about strength. Make your mind up
    It's about both. A transitioned trans gender woman does not represent a potential rape threat to a natal woman. An un-transitioned one does. A transgender woman, with or without penis who has gone through puberty as a male has physical strength advantages over a natal woman.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    More of your not commenting on this issue.

Other women are concerned.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

For them if they don't want to use male toilets until they've transitioned to being women then using disabled or other neutral toilets in the interim seems logical.

Not always easily available. And besides, try putting yourself into the position of someone who is undergoing this problematic and painful (mentally and physically) process.

As I said, there is an important question: who polices this?
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

Dorries' appointment is also a clue that the GE will come in 2023, not 2024. It's intended to get the Conservatives over the line in the Red Wall seats but there is a time limit on Dorries' ability to generate headlines to motivate Red Wall voters. Approaching 3 years would be too long, 2 years not.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    Not really sure what point you’re making.

In any event, as I said earlier, it is curious how the younger generation appear to be much less “alarmed” by all this.

I agree with @Big_G_NorthWales that the debate is toxic and needs to be toned down and dealt with maturely, by both sides.
  • Options
    Jimmy Greaves, RIP.

Donald Trump & Jimmy Greaves make the draw for the 91/92 Rumbelows Cup.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/oct/26/donald-trump-helps-league-cup-fifth-round-draw-1991-video
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    I was going to ask "what mess". Isn't frothing on about danger of such woke attitudes what the Dorries will be trying to do?
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    Bully for her. But we don't do away with safeguarding procedures because some people in the group to be safeguarded don't want to be.

Also, it's not just toilets and changing rooms. If your girlfriend took part in competitive sports or - God forbid - was sent to prison she might take a different view.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

Goodness knows why.

It is, and it is a major problem. The leading arguments treat it is an issue with no nuance, but it is one where nuance is very appropriate.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Who has actually threatened Rosie Duffield?

No-one, just the media causing trouble. She has said some unhinged stuff on twitter eneralising about trans people being predators etc.
  • Options

Jimmy Greaves, RIP.

Donald Trump & Jimmy Greaves make the draw for the 91/92 Rumbelows Cup.
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/video/2016/oct/26/donald-trump-helps-league-cup-fifth-round-draw-1991-video

Yes I have just seen that played on TV and had to rewind it to make sure it was for real
  • Options
    Essexit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

access to spaces should be based on sex (transition or not), with third spaces provided where feasible.
    Sex (chromosomes)? Or
    Gender (who you are)?
  • Options
    EKOS poll out.

PPC on 10% and the Conservatives down to 27% with the Liberals on 32%.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Essexit said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    Bully for her. But we don't do away with safeguarding procedures because some people in the group to be safeguarded don't want to be.

Also, it's not just toilets and changing rooms. If your girlfriend took part in competitive sports or - God forbid - was sent to prison she might take a different view.
    She might, you’re right. But that doesn’t mean she should be alarmed about who pisses where…

Her perspective as a woman is just as important as other women’s. She isn’t some twitter warrior either, and she isn’t unique amongst her friends and peers.
  • Options

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    I was going to ask "what mess". Isn't frothing on about danger of such woke attitudes what the Dorries will be trying to do?
    My thought is that she is there to do what "chaff" does for frigates, as well as arguably being suited for some things in the role (novelist, publicist, self-promotist), so that opponents look in the wrong direction whilst the good ship Boris & his mates get on with the real stuff.
  • Options

Essexit said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

access to spaces should be based on sex (transition or not), with third spaces provided where feasible.
    Sex (chromosomes)? Or
    Gender (who you are)?
    Sex (biological and objective), not gender (social and subjective).
  • Options

IshmaelZ said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t

In any event, as I said earlier, it is curious how the younger generation appear to be much less “alarmed” by all this.

I agree with @Big_G_NorthWales that the debate is toxic and needs to be toned down and dealt with maturely, by both sides.
    Oh dear.

Your girlfriend is not personally alarmed, and cannot imagine what it would be like to be alarmed and/or does not mind that other women might be alarmed.

Clear now?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Who is abolishing female only spaces?

Even in the extremely unlikely event of a penis-wielding pervert saying "I am trans" to threaten women in changing rooms, they would get chucked out. Standards of behaviour exist whether the woman is cis or trans that can be policed.

The threat is the trans man or woman using their birth gender facilities and getting assaulted. That isn't extremely unlikely.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t

Oh dear.

Your girlfriend is not personally alarmed, and cannot imagine what it would be like to be alarmed and/or does not mind that other women might be alarmed.

Clear now?
    I mean you could say the same about those who are alarmed, who don’t have the imagination to comprehend that other women may not be alarmed.
  • Options
    French gov't in a punitive mood: "France is seeking to scuttle the proposed EU-Australia free-trade agreement, asking fellow European nations to “reconsider” the deal in retaliation for the Morrison government cancelling the $90bn French sub contract"

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1439653781893955584
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

What a strange response

My girlfriend isn’t
    When you girlfriend, are you using her biological sex, or how she self identifies?
  • Options

French gov't in a punitive mood: "France is seeking to scuttle the proposed EU-Australia free-trade agreement, asking fellow European nations to “reconsider” the deal in retaliation for the Morrison government cancelling the $90bn French sub contract"

https://twitter.com/shashj/status/1439653781893955584

What would be in it for the others?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Aslan said:

Julia Hartley-Brewer
    @JuliaHB1
    ·
    4h

===

It's facile though imo.

Let me simplify

Who is abolishing female only spaces?

Even in the extremely unlikely event of a penis-wielding pervert saying "I am trans" to threaten women in changing rooms, they would get chucked out. Standards of behaviour exist whether the woman is cis or trans that can be policed.

The threat is the trans man or woman using their birth gender facilities and getting assaulted. That isn't extremely unlikely.
    I really do not follow your reasoning there at all

I do not think any woman would be reassured by your assertion they would be thrown out (by whom) and extremely unlikely means it is possible
This discussion has been closed.