Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Can Starmer get a conference boost? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    malcolmg said:

Ministry of Defence has confirmed the Scottish Government has requested military assistance to deal with pressure on the ambulance service north of the border

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1438545544859856896?s=20

It is just so stupid that it is even a thing
    It is Scotland unionists inflate anything to do with Scotland and always make out it is a big deal whilst ignoring 10x the disasters in England. However you knew that but wanted to add your put down to the pile.
    The Scottish government makes both good and bad decisions. They're no better nor worse than Westminster. However they're probably less likely to make decisions that are regionally bad for Scotland, and less likely to make decisions that are Internationally good.

You only get hats from a hat-machine, no matter what the settings.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Did someone say Corbyn is expecting to be reinstated into labour

Keir Starmer announces support for AUKUS

Corbyn - Starting a new cold war will not bring peace, justice, and human rights to the world #AUKUS

Of course he never comments on China's provocations.
    Arhhh but remember they are part of the "Global South" *, so escape any criticism in the weird Corbyn book of the oppressor vs opposed nations.

* one of the most ridiculous wokey terms for developing nations, as half the nations aren't even in the southern hemisphere....and loads that are, aren't included.
    Is "wokey" just your general word for inexact and misleading now?
    Developing world has now been deemed unacceptable and offensive by some organisations. You must use something like Global South instead, but then that is now controversial in itself among some.
    I only reason I use it, was because Jezza does.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,924
    justin124 said:

rcs1000 said:

justin124 said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

ping said:

140/1 on 40%+ are pretty good odds, too.

What is the biggest conference bounce on record?

Not sure. But the biggest one I can recall is my boy Dave turning a 10% Lab lead into an 8% Con lead during the 2007 conferences.

It was when Brown was thinking of calling a snap election.

One of Brown’s MPs even wrote this seldom mentioned piece during those heady days.

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    The trick is to win the elections, not the conferences.
    Dave won every general election he contested as leader.
    Depending what you mean by won. Con maj 2010 was there for the taking.
    Most seats/most votes counts as a victory.

The fact he became PM means it was a victory.

As this puts Dave’s achievement into context.

Somewhat remarkable Heath got to fight 1970 from those figures.
    In those days - and really up until the end of Kinnock post-1987 - you got to keep fighting General Elections until you won. What proportion of Conservative and Labour leaders between 1945 and 1990 did not end up Prime Minister?

It has to be well under 20%.

Good point. Can only think of Gaitskell. For unfortunate reasons. And Foot for more obvious ones. Not a single Tory. Wonder what changed? I would argue, Kinnock too was a special case, losing an election pretty comfortably he was widely expected to win.
    Tories under Blair really started the ditching the leader after one defeat. Or none in IDS' case.

Edit. Oops. You've covered that.
    So, who was the Tory leader before Hague never to be PM?
    19th Century I reckon.
    I don't think there was one. The modern Conservative Party started with Peel, and every leader until Hague had at least a little time in Number Ten.
    Austen Chamberlain did not.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leader_of_the_Conservative_Party_(UK)

Not in the list of leaders.
    'Chamberlain returned to office in H. H. Asquith's wartime coalition government in May 1915, as Secretary of State for India, but resigned to take responsibility for the disastrous Kut Campaign. He again returned to office in David Lloyd George's coalition government, once again serving as Chancellor of the Exchequer. He then served as Conservative Party leader in the Commons (1921–2), before resigning after the Carlton Club meeting voted to end the Lloyd George Coalition.'
    From Wilkipedia
    Exactly:
    "He then served as Conservative Party leader in the Commons"

Not leader of the Conservative Party.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

ping said:

140/1 on 40%+ are pretty good odds, too.

What is the biggest conference bounce on record?

Not sure. But the biggest one I can recall is my boy Dave turning a 10% Lab lead into an 8% Con lead during the 2007 conferences.

It was when Brown was thinking of calling a snap election.

One of Brown’s MPs even wrote this seldom mentioned piece during those heady days.

'Shortly there will be an election, in which Labour will increase its majority'

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2007/09/labour-majority-increase
    A lot of people at that time (prior to Dave's conference speech) had a similar view of Cameron as many now have of Starmer. This is why, though I am not a Labour supporter, I would not write Starmer off
    The comparison between Cameron and Starmer is extremely weak.

Cameron managed consistent poll leads from September 2005 to June 2007. Brown managed consistent poll leads then from July 2007 with Cameron regaining consistent leads again by October. By the 2010 election Cameron had achieved polling leads for all but 3 months of his leadership. July - Sept 2007 were the only months in the 4.5 years he was opposition leader that he didn't have very consistent poll leads.

In contrast Starmer has achieved consistent poll leads: Never
    Personality Ratings

Sep 2006
    Blair 22 Cameron 19 (Brown as Chancellor got 8)

May 2010
    Cameron 24 Brown 3

Jun 20
    Boris 64 Sir Keir 30
    Sep 20
    Boris 67 Sir Keir 25
    Jun 21
    Boris 61 Sir Keir 16

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

BBC Three set to return as TV channel after Ofcom gives green light
    Service was taken off air in 2016, but corporation says some younger viewers still want linear TV

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2021/sep/16/bbc-three-return-tv-channel-ofcom

Who....I don't know a single kid who watches "linear tv". In fact, hardly any tv at all....its all YouTube, Twitch, Social Media, then Netflix....then "tv".

My little 'un does. With a healthy amount of Youtube as well.
    They must be really little. Other than LAFC games, I don't think my children have watched linear TV in five years, maybe longer.
    He's seven. He quite likes CITV at the moment.

On YouTube he watches some really weird stuff. Like documentaries on Pompeii. Including one by Mary Beard.

This led him to drawing a map of Pompeii, and giving a tour of it to his grandparents. "This is the amphitheater. These are the shops. These are houses. These are the roads. And here are the brothels. Some say they had a lot of brothels, but I don't think they did..."

I am a bad parent. ;)
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,129
    edited September 2021

Given age profile of infections (65+ falling rapidly) possibility that Hospitalisations could start following suit soon too:

As 65+ now make up c55% of admissions in England (was 28% july ish time) that purple line key.

Starting to see it, with 17% and 12% falls in admissions compared to same day prev week.

Possibility those in hospital goes below 6000 by wkend.

https://twitter.com/ThatRyanChap/status/1438525623773712390?s=20

Looks good on the data. I think the pandemic is over. That's how it feels. The risk is the NHS. It's under great pressure with the backlog and if you add in a worse than usual winter, flu etc plus still lots of Delta, it could be tipping over in places. I think we'll choose to live with that rather than do any more serious lockdown, but it wouldn't be an easy decision to take either way.
  • Options
    Ash Sarkar

Cancelled my Labour membership for a variety of reasons, but honestly, the politics of the present leadership being completely fucking boring is prime amongst them.

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1438550228882403335?s=21
  • Options
    So Robin Walker Minister for Schools… all for levelling up apparently… maybe we will all get to inherit a Parliamentary seat that our father held…
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,365

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Corbyn - Starting a new cold war will not bring peace, justice, and human rights to the world #AUKUS

Arhhh but remember they are part of the "Global South" *, so escape any criticism in the weird Corbyn book of the oppressor vs opposed nations.

* one of the most ridiculous wokey terms for developing nations, as half the nations aren't even in the southern hemisphere....and loads that are, aren't included.
    Developing world has now been deemed unacceptable and offensive by some organisations. You must use something like Global South instead, but then that is now controversial in itself among some.
    Developing world itself was a euphemism 30 years ago. Before that it was developed world and undeveloped world.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,399
    Just finished listening to the vid on the Oz submarine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_Y4QQ8Hm3k

Interesting practices by the French supplier - hiring figures who had previously been handling stuff on the other side.

Sleepy of the Australians to allow it, and to allow themselves to design a process which give their supplier an effective monopoly very early on.
  • Options
    Don’t just add the Greens VI to Labour

Owen Jones

‘Labour bans delegates from debating a motion committing the party to the Green New Deal that Keir Starmer promised in his leadership bid to put at the heart of everything he did.

Undemocratic, authoritarian, and a massive up yours at younger voters in particular.’

https://twitter.com/owenjones84/status/1438530436146343936?s=21
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Service was taken off air in 2016, but corporation says some younger viewers still want linear TV

Who....I don't know a single kid who watches "linear tv". In fact, hardly any tv at all....its all YouTube, Twitch, Social Media, then Netflix....then "tv".

They must be really little. Other than LAFC games, I don't think my children have watched linear TV in five years, maybe longer.

On YouTube he watches some really weird stuff. Like documentaries on Pompeii. Including one by Mary Beard.

This led him to drawing a map of Pompeii, and giving a tour of it to his grandparents. "This is the amphitheater. These are the shops. These are houses. These are the roads. And here are the brothels. Some say they had a lot of brothels, but I don't think they did..."

I am a bad parent. ;)
    We've Brexited. We may make them legal.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440
    MattW said:

Interesting practices by the French supplier - hiring figures who had previously been handling stuff on the other side.

Sleepy of the Australians to allow it, and to allow themselves to design a process which give their supplier an effective monopoly very early on.

I think the door between the MoD and UK arms industry might also interest.
  • Options

MattW said:

I think the door between the MoD and UK arms industry might also interest.
    Or between the DoD and Lockheed Martin and Boeing.
  • Options
    FossFoss Posts: 694
    MattW said:

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)
    We've Brexited. We may make them legal.
    They're already legal in Germany.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,598
    isam said:

Owen Jones

‘Labour bans delegates from debating a motion committing the party to the Green New Deal that Keir Starmer promised in his leadership bid to put at the heart of everything he did.

Undemocratic, authoritarian, and a massive up yours at younger voters in particular.’

That's Slab buggered yet again. After SKS came to Scotland and tried to get the Green vote for Slab.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ministry of Defence has confirmed the Scottish Government has requested military assistance to deal with pressure on the ambulance service north of the border

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1438545544859856896?s=20

It is just so stupid that it is even a thing
    It is Scotland unionists inflate anything to do with Scotland and always make out it is a big deal whilst ignoring 10x the disasters in England. However you knew that but wanted to add your put down to the pile.
    The Unionists get excited when SG don't do X, and excited when they do ...
  • Options
    A study out of the University of Edinburgh shows that vaccine efficacy against severe COVID-19 has NOT significantly decreased since Delta became the predominant variant, is around 92%, and does NOT differ significantly between AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Moderna’s vaccines.

https://twitter.com/sailorrooscout/status/1438499445562294274?s=20
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Developing world itself was a euphemism 30 years ago. Before that it was developed world and undeveloped world.
    The 3rd World is what I recall the term was when I was first starting to become a hard left social democrat in my mid teens.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

In a Yes Minister scene it talked about underdeveloped countries being term 'Less developed countries' due to it being seen as offence.

When I was at school they had become LEDCs and MEDCs (Less/More Economically Developed Countries) presumably when 'less developed' had been objected to, but they had also introduced 'NIC's (Newly industrialised/industrialising Countries) presumably as some objected to being lumped in one or the lesser bracket (In fairness there is a big difference).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Fair point to make. If this agreement is as profound and ground breaking as is being suggested, then will we be legally obliged to commit combat troops and under what circumstances?
  • Options

So Robin Walker Minister for Schools… all for levelling up apparently… maybe we will all get to inherit a Parliamentary seat that our father held…

Inherit?

He won the seat from Labour.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:
    Is why its best for former PMs to leave the stage left and not hang around on the backbenchers for long.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,130

A study out of the University of Edinburgh shows that vaccine efficacy against severe COVID-19 has NOT significantly decreased since Delta became the predominant variant, is around 92%, and does NOT differ significantly between AstraZeneca, Pfizer, and Moderna’s vaccines.

So boosters are probably gilding the lilly, to some extent. As even cases seem to be falling, the rationale is getting a bit weaker.
  • Options
    isam said:

Owen Jones

Yes, Owen is getting frustrated.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Been out and about in God’s own county this afternoon so not been on PB. I assume TSE is now a fully paid member of the Boris Johnson fan club given how much we’ve annoyed the French?

Nope, annoying the French isn't enough for me.

Full scale war with a tactical nuclear first strike might get me back.

Making me Governor/Viceroy of France might seal the deal.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,543
    tlg86 said:
    It is a legitimate question though. What is the point of a mutual pact if we are not willing to fight alongside?

Wilson famously kept us out of Vietnam despite American pressure.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

tlg86 said:
    Fair point to make. If this agreement is as profound and ground breaking as is being suggested, then will we be legally obliged to commit combat troops and under what circumstances?
    “ profound and ground breaking “ 🤣

Whose now going to admit to calling this fig leaf over the mess “ profound and ground breaking “ ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Cancelled my Labour membership for a variety of reasons, but honestly, the politics of the present leadership being completely fucking boring is prime amongst them.

Surprised she was still a member, as a self identified literal communist i can't imagine a Starmer led Labour party isn't exactly going to align with her world view.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)
    Nonsense, he seems to be displaying curiousity about the past to expand his knowledge and, importantly, skepticism of what has been said so he can make up his own mind, an independent thinker. So you seem to be setting him up well.

What's his reasoning for not believing the 'many brothels' theory?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

In a Yes Minister scene it talked about underdeveloped countries being term 'Less developed countries' due to it being seen as offence.

When I was at school they had become LEDCs and MEDCs (Less/More Economically Developed Countries) presumably when 'less developed' had been objected to, but they had also introduced 'NIC's (Newly industrialised/industrialising Countries) presumably as some objected to being lumped in one or the lesser bracket (In fairness there is a big difference).
    There does need to be a distinction, but "Developing" can be misleading for places like Venezuela, Afghanistan or the DRC which are not developing, and indeed deteriorating.

I tend to speak either regionally (MENA for example) or more simply as low, middle or high income countries.
  • Options

So boosters are probably gilding the lilly, to some extent. As even cases seem to be falling, the rationale is getting a bit weaker.
    There is evidence that in the very elderly (75+) - and therefore first jabbed antibodies are declining - which they should - what that does to the immune response we simply don't know - so I agree - very much "belt & braces".
  • Options

tlg86 said:
    Is why its best for former PMs to leave the stage left and not hang around on the backbenchers for long.
    Actually the Gruniad could be in trouble for what they have written there.

‘ although nuclear-powered submarines will allow the Australian navy to match Beijing, with vessels able to submerge for months at a time. “

Match? China’s seventy?

• Options

tlg86 said:
    What a ridiculous remark. It's good to have ex-PMs in politics with their experience and objectivity. Or would you prefer just newbies, forever sucking up to the leader to climb the greasy pole?
  • Options
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:
    Nonsense. If they have their own perspective to offer and enjoy and are good at backbench or legislative/policy scrutiny (even if they were no good as a PM) then absolutely they should stick around. Some might make it back into government as a Minister perhaps.

Becoming PM need not mean your days in politics are numbered once you stop. If they end up making themselves look bitter who cares? Better that than ex PMs have no prospect of political contribution, particularly when they have so many years to live and will be criticised if they cash in.
  • Options

Given age profile of infections (65+ falling rapidly) possibility that Hospitalisations could start following suit soon too:

As 65+ now make up c55% of admissions in England (was 28% july ish time) that purple line key.

Starting to see it, with 17% and 12% falls in admissions compared to same day prev week.

Thoughts and prayers for iSAGE and the modelling teams.
    I believe the goalpost have now shifted to you just wait until the winter, its going to be terrible, and the government should be introducing new restrictions now.
    They could be right but because of flu not covid. If the flu vax doesn't quite match the flu variety (as sometimes happens iirc) and combined with so many people with waning flu immunity thanks to last winters lockdown we could see a bad flu year.

Hopefully I am wrong.
  • Options

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Surprised she was still a member, as a self identified literal communist i can't imagine a Starmer led Labour party isn't exactly going to align with her world view.
    The Labour membership is now smaller, but definitely more centrist. Worth noting for betting purposes on leadership candidates.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

There does need to be a distinction, but "Developing" can be misleading for places like Venezuela, Afghanistan or the DRC which are not developing, and indeed deteriorating.

I tend to speak either regionally (MENA for example) or more simply as low, middle or high income countries.
    That's a very good point. As we know places do not always progress, so developing really does not work.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)
    Nonsense, he seems to be displaying curiousity about the past to expand his knowledge and, importantly, skepticism of what has been said so he can make up his own mind, an independent thinker. So you seem to be setting him up well.

I think it was that Mary Beard was sceptical about there being so many as the guides said there were. Sex sells, especially to tourists.

A few weeks back I bought him a science book from Ely. He read it on the way back and went very quiet. When I looked over my shoulder, he was reading about procreation. A few minutes later he said: "I feel sick."

I probably won't have to teach him about the birds and the bees: he'll have it all figured out in the next month or so...

(And does that even matter aged 7? It might depend on the kid, but I think not.)
  • Options
    "Professor Paul Hunter, an epidemiologist at the University of East Anglia, said: 'It does look like those strongly expressed views that we would see a surge in infections after schools went back has not turned out to be the case.' "

(Mail)

Which group of never-off-the-BBC-and-Sky independent scientists could he have in mind?
  • Options

There is evidence that in the very elderly (75+) - and therefore first jabbed antibodies are declining - which they should - what that does to the immune response we simply don't know - so I agree - very much "belt & braces".
    Peston for one wouldn’t understand that antibodies are not the only part of the immune system...
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

‘ although nuclear-powered submarines will allow the Australian navy to match Beijing, with vessels able to submerge for months at a time. “

Match? China’s seventy?

The RAN can only crew 3 of their current 6 subs, and their SSN fleet is well over a decade away.
  • Options

Thoughts and prayers for iSAGE and the modelling teams.
    I believe the goalpost have now shifted to you just wait until the winter, its going to be terrible, and the government should be introducing new restrictions now.
    They could be right but because of flu not covid. If the flu vax doesn't quite match the flu variety (as sometimes happens iirc) and combined with so many people with waning flu immunity thanks to last winters lockdown we could see a bad flu year.

Hopefully I am wrong.
    No worrying signs for flu elsewhere. Covid precautions are pretty good for other airborne viruses...
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)

I think it was that Mary Beard was sceptical about there being so many as the guides said there were. Sex sells, especially to tourists.

A few weeks back I bought him a science book from Ely. He read it on the way back and went very quiet. When I looked over my shoulder, he was reading about procreation. A few minutes later he said: "I feel sick."

I probably won't have to teach him about the birds and the bees: he'll have it all figured out in the next month or so...

(And does that even matter aged 7? It might depend on the kid, but I think not.)
    Mary Beard is a bit of a party pooper, I recall from one of her books her pointing out the unlikelihood of all those neat descriptions of battle progressions in ancient battles really being so neat and tidy.
  • Options

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

I quite like 'boring' politics. If politics is boring, then it's probably working. If politics is exciting, then things are probably going wrong.

Politics has been anything but boring since 2008...
    Yes but you aren't a revolutionary communist who wants to overthrow the capitalist system....
  • Options

"Professor Paul Hunter, an epidemiologist at the University of East Anglia, said: 'It does look like those strongly expressed views that we would see a surge in infections after schools went back has not turned out to be the case.' "

(Mail)

Which group of never-off-the-BBC-and-Sky independent scientists could he have in mind?

During today's run, I listened to a Radio 5 science podcast from a month or so back. The speaker they had on claimed 100,000 cases a day when schools went back.

Fortunately she was wrong...
  • Options
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

I thought it was The Third World.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    Argentinian Twitterers are ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that AUKUS has bugger all to do with China, but is actually an Anglo-Saxon conspiracy to encircle Argentina down in the south Atlantic/Pacific (Chile is apparently a secret AUKUS ally) and thus prevent the country EVER regaining the Malvinas, or claiming Antarctic territory

I kid you not. And these are people with 1000s of followers. It is a strange country
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:
    Nonsense. If they have their own perspective to offer and enjoy and are good at backbench or legislative/policy scrutiny (even if they were no good as a PM) then absolutely they should stick around. Some might make it back into government as a Minister perhaps.

Becoming PM need not mean your days in politics are numbered once you stop. If they end up making themselves look bitter who cares? Better that than ex PMs have no prospect of political contribution, particularly when they have so many years to live and will be criticised if they cash in.
    May regularly asks Johnson more difficult questions than Starmer - on policy - not politics.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,322
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

The Labour membership is now smaller, but definitely more centrist. Worth noting for betting purposes on leadership candidates.
    Yes. There a lot of leftist loyalists like me who don't rock the boat but tend to vote left when there's a choice. But the noisy left has mostly drifted off.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

gealbhan said:

tlg86 said:

Match? China’s seventy?

The RAN can only crew 3 of their current 6 subs, and their SSN fleet is well over a decade away.
    The Agreements got to “match up” somehow or else it’s starts to look like a gimmick to distract from the mess they’ve got us into.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Argentinian Twitterers are ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED that AUKUS has bugger all to do with China, but is actually an Anglo-Saxon conspiracy to encircle Argentina down in the south Atlantic/Pacific (Chile is apparently a secret AUKUS ally) and thus prevent the country EVER regaining the Malvinas, or claiming Antarctic territory

I kid you not. And these are people with 1000s of followers. It is a strange country

Silly. Though Chile has been a good ally to us at times haven't they?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Amusing.

Yes Chile is a good ally of the Anglosphere West in Lat Am.

It is also the only truly developed nation down there, and, partly for that reason, loathed by its neighbours, who think the Chileans are all up themselves
  • Options

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

She was a member for two years.

• Options

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yet it's a disaster to lose such rock solid supporters. A surprising number of people who are the heart and soul of the party didn't use to back it. I'm not one to say only loyalists matters, but there are surely limits.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

I mis-remember: it was underdeveloped, not undeveloped. But I think you're right, and underdeveloped was itself a euphemism for 'third world'.

No doubt in fifteen years or so Global South will be felt to be too pejorative and a new term invented.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

My point was I am surprised she didn't rip up her membership as soon as Jezza went and Starmer got selected.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Surely a sign that the party is heading in the right direction of people like her are quitting.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

I mis-remember: it was underdeveloped, not undeveloped. But I think you're right, and underdeveloped was itself a euphemism for 'third world'.

No doubt in fifteen years or so Global South will be felt to be too pejorative and a new term invented.
    Global South is now already passing into no no territory....
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775
    Foxy said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Most people who are members of a party are weirdos. People who leave them because they are too mainstream are the weirdest of the lot.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Surely a sign that the party is heading in the right direction of people like her are quitting.
    I wonder how many members momentum have these days.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Reminds me of working somewhere around 10 years ago trying to come up with a new term for NEETs, worried that it was becoming a perjorative label (to whom, I don't know), when I'd assume the label is pretty irrelevant if describing the same thing. Don't know if they ever managed to get a new label.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

8,000 voted in their last internal election.

• Options
    Farooq said:

Foxy said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Most people who are members of a party are weirdos. People who leave them because they are too mainstream are the weirdest of the lot.
    That is a bloody excellent point, I may steal it.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Have they all piled into the greens ?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yep, I think so.

• Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,440

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

I quite like 'boring' politics. If politics is boring, then it's probably working. If politics is exciting, then things are probably going wrong.

Politics has been anything but boring since 2008...
    Yes but you aren't a revolutionary communist who wants to overthrow the capitalist system....
    Aren't most of them now #10 advisers?
  • Options

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)

When we were expecting our third daughter, our oldest - then 4 - was naturally curious about how the baby got there. We attempted to explain the process, in terms a child could understand. "Does it hurt"? she asked, incredulous. "Not really"my wife replied. "Does it feel funny?" she went on. "It does, a bit" my wife conceded. Then, a reflective pause, followed by, shocked by the realisation: "You've done in three times!"

Later that year, our middle daughter worried about what would happen when Father Christmas died. "Don't worry," we heard our oldest explain, breezily. At some point, Father Christmas will put his willy in Mrs. Christmas's bits, and a new Father Christmas will grow."

We reassured oursleves that she had grasped the general idea.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

rcs1000 said:

I am a bad parent. ;)

Mary Beard is a bit of a party pooper, I recall from one of her books her pointing out the unlikelihood of all those neat descriptions of battle progressions in ancient battles really being so neat and tidy.
    That's bringing back memories of Latin lessons. It took me years to realise what this sort of thing meant:

Iugurtha aciem instruxit = Iugurtha drew out the line-of-battle [ie deployed his army for battle]
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yep, I think so.

Then again, HYFUD says people like me and Casino_Royale quitting the Tories is a sign that the Tory party is heading in the right direction so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. 🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    kle4 said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yet it's a disaster to lose such rock solid supporters. A surprising number of people who are the heart and soul of the party didn't use to back it. I'm not one to say only loyalists matters, but there are surely limits.
    Yes. Ash is great but she isn't particularly Labour. Owen Jones is more totemic for me. He's been Labour all his life under all leaders including Blair. If he were to leave, that would be meaningful and serious. You'd have to suspect the fire has gone out.
  • Options

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

Language does evolve though. I don't really see the problem.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2021

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

May regularly asks Johnson more difficult questions than Starmer - on policy - not politics.
    That’s because Starmer is totally useless.
    Someone mentioned that he was Labour’s IDS earlier.

No, IDS actually had more charisma.
    True fact.

(Corbyn was Labour’s IDS).
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yep, I think so.

Then again, HYFUD says people like me and Casino_Royale quitting the Tories is a sign that the Tory party is heading in the right direction so I guess it's all a matter of perspective. 🤷‍♂️
    Surprisingly few people appear to meet HYUFD's standards for being proper Conservatives. I suspect, in fact, there might only be one :wink:
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yes. Ash is great but she isn't particularly Labour. Owen Jones is more totemic for me. He's been Labour all his life under all leaders including Blair. If he were to leave, that would be meaningful and serious. You'd have to suspect the fire has gone out.
    She is part of one of the funniest things I’ve seen - the novara media reaction to 2019 election....
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

There's nothing wrong with language evolving, but if people just keep coming up with hip new terms on the misunderstanding that the terms themselves are the problem and so negative perceptions will cease if you come up with a new one, that's just plain dumb.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

It does when Mr Rees-Mogg starts talking about the alliance with New Holland against Cathay.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Do you think the churn of people who go from being members, activists etc of a party, to suddenly refusing to vote for them is higher than your everyday man in the street who doesn't follow it so closely?

As far as I know, most of my friends and family have voted for the same party all their lives, yet on PB there are dozens who go from one extreme (in terms of fervent support) to the other
  • Options
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Do you think the churn of people who go from being members, activists etc of a party, to suddenly refusing to vote for them is higher than your everyday man in the street who doesn't follow it so closely?

As far as I know, most of my friends and family have voted for the same party all their lives, yet on PB there are dozens who go from one extreme (in terms of fervent support) to the other
    My wife considers herself (and is) pretty mainstream politically - yet has voted for five different parties at the last five GEs.

I think political loyalty is much less string than it was. The extent to which all votes are up for grabevery time is growing.
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

May is asking a very good question, btw.

The orgasmic sighs last night about this deal from PB Tories were hilarious.

On balance I think this sounds like a good thing for the U.K., but it does raise all sorts of questions.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Yep, I think so.

Surprisingly few people appear to meet HYUFD's standards for being proper Conservatives. I suspect, in fact, there might only be one :wink:
    Not even one. HYUFD was both a remainer and a Scottish nationalist five short years ago.
    Nobody can dance on the head of the pin that is Conservative purity. Not me, not Ken Clarke, and definitely not him.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
  • Options

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

True fact.

IDS is more charismatic than Starmer.

Starmer for Labour though is a huge improvement. He's not a loony. (FWIW I think EdM was marginally better, but anything is better than Corbyn and Brown)
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

isam said:

Ash Sarkar

Talking of whom:

Owen Jones Rose
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    2h Labour bans delegates from debating a motion committing the party to the Green New Deal that Keir Starmer promised in his leadership bid to put at the heart of everything he did.

Undemocratic, authoritarian, and a massive up yours at younger voters in particular.
  • Options
    "Tory lockdown sceptics have hailed the promotion of Stephen Barclay to Cabinet Office minister, as they claimed he would be more alive to the economic costs of another lockdown this winter than Michael Gove.

With Mr Gove moving to become Housing Secretary, backbenchers opposed to ongoing Covid-19 restrictions believe the composition of the key decision-makers in Government has swung further in their favour. "

Telegraph
  • Options
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Amusing.

Yes Chile is a good ally of the Anglosphere West in Lat Am.

It is also the only truly developed nation down there, and, partly for that reason, loathed by its neighbours, who think the Chileans are all up themselves
    And it has pretty good skiing. I had a fun week in Valle Nevado, before heading to Santiago.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

It does when Mr Rees-Mogg starts talking about the alliance with New Holland against Cathay.
    I rather like Rees-Mogg. A mixed bag clearly, but a decent one. Leader of the house is precisely where he is at his best. (I'd quite like to see him as PM in some ways too, but just fictionally)
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

True fact.

Starmer for Labour though is a huge improvement. He's not a loony. (FWIW I think EdM was marginally better, but anything is better than Corbyn and Brown)
    Disagree.

Brown > Starmer > Miliband > Corbyn

In terms of “electability”.

And, it turned out that Brown wasn’t that electable.
  • Options

Damn it, I wanted Moderna to be better than Pfizer.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Sir Clive Sinclair dies aged 81

His legacy has lived on with the use of the spectrum ZX for the SAGE modelling.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,845
    edited September 2021

"Tory lockdown sceptics have hailed the promotion of Stephen Barclay to Cabinet Office minister, as they claimed he would be more alive to the economic costs of another lockdown this winter than Michael Gove.

With Mr Gove moving to become Housing Secretary, backbenchers opposed to ongoing Covid-19 restrictions believe the composition of the key decision-makers in Government has swung further in their favour. "

Telegraph

Boris’s reshuffle was I think a half-decent one.
    (Apart from Nadine Dorries, who is obviously there because Boris drunkenly agreed to put her in Cabinet as a “dare”.)

But Barclay is a lightweight.

So is Truss, but she’s rather better at self-promotion.
  • Options
    This apparently is a "Brexit triumph", according to the UKIPograph. Hmmm. Brexit: a triumph of small mindedness over rationality lol!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/brexit-triumph-as-crown-stamp-returns-to-pint-glasses-after-bonfire-of-eu-rules/ar-AAOvVsG?ocid=entnewsntp
  • Options

Omnium said:

kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

True fact.

Disagree.

Brown > Starmer > Miliband > Corbyn

In terms of “electability”.

And, it turned out that Brown wasn’t that electable.
    Corbyn got more votes and 10+pp higher in 2017 than either Brown or Miliband did in the previous two elections.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

I rather like Rees-Mogg. A mixed bag clearly, but a decent one. Leader of the house is precisely where he is at his best. (I'd quite like to see him as PM in some ways too, but just fictionally)
    I'd imagine you'd consider him a bit of a wet lettuce leftie liberal?
  • Options
    Omnium said:

Carnyx said:

kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

rcs1000 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Aslan said:

He’s a cretin, and like kryptonite to swing voters.
    Which is why they have to hide him away during elections.
  • Options
    Dr Duncan Robertson @Dr_D_Robertson

1 in 500* British people have died of Covid-19

* A = UK deaths within 28 days of a positive test = 134,647
    B = Deaths with COVID-19 on the death certificate = 157,669
    C = ONS population estimate = 67,081,000
    C/A = 1:498
    C/B = 1:425
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

Damn it, I wanted Moderna to be better than Pfizer.
    It has been shown to be the case in other studies, including the one out earlier this week, that formed part of JCVI decision.
This discussion has been closed.