Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Why I’m quitting the Conservative Party – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931

I am very happy to discuss the positives and negatives of the Corbyn era, including the 2017 manifesto which I believe to be great. But I believe 2019 was an objective disaster and anyone trying to bring some idea of success from that election has no business in trying to tell people how Labour wins again.

They’ve made the person at least half responsible for it their leader!
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

FWIW, my opinion is the nightclub vaxpass will fail. Once uni term starts we will just see tons of students having huge house parties or if weather still ok, mass gatherings at the local park and so on.

Yep, same issue as the curfew last year. It was absolutely comical seeing everyone get turfed out at 10/11, and then flood into the local offies/mini supermarket to pick up some drinks for the rest of the night round at somebody's (usually cramped and unventilated) place.
  • Options

Boris quoting back to the SNP as well as Labour that this was their policy he's implemented.

That's the issue though.

And the polls say Labour fans don’t like it because it wasn’t them who did it! How ridiculous is tribal politics?!
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,996
    This is unfortunate...

'Has Gavin Williamson ever met Marcus Rashford? “We met over Zoom and he seemed incredibly engaged, compassionate and charming". Later Williamson’s team tell me he actually met the rugby player Maro Itoje, not Rashford.'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/gavin-williamson-interview-education-b954132.html#r3z-addoor
  • Options
    Vaccine passports are wretched.

I know this won't be the view of most people here, but that sort of thing annoys me more than the tax.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Starmer is technically wrong I think anyway.

No one needs to sell their house as it can be deferred until they cease to need care at end of life iirc.

I believe this is wrong - and if it is wrong Johnson is being very odd in avoiding the question
    Starmer is wrong. (He knows this, of course.)

Point 39. of the proposals announced yesterday make clear that no one has to sell their home within their lifetime.

This allows the care contributions that they are liable for to be deferred until after their death. This is important because there is always a chance, I guess, that the person will improve and come out of the home in the future.
    So much his forensic big brain.....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    Scott_xP said:

This is unfortunate...

'Has Gavin Williamson ever met Marcus Rashford? “We met over Zoom and he seemed incredibly engaged, compassionate and charming". Later Williamson’s team tell me he actually met the rugby player Maro Itoje, not Rashford.'

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/gavin-williamson-interview-education-b954132.html#r3z-addoor

And for a 4th time....FFS, Crtl F...check...then paste.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Quite a lot of opposition from Labour. Will they rebel against Starmer?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    No evidence of TB in Geronimo.
    This may be the big political scandal.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is unfortunate...

Naughty..
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

Are we talking about social care or vaxports ?
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Anne Marie Morris will abstain on the tax rises.
    Cites "lack of a clear plan" on workforce to clear NHS backlog, nor to provide enough care workers.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,643

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

What's going to be an extra cherry on top of the bullshit is that in the run up to 2024 the Tory party will be looking to win back it's low tax credentials and the state finances will likely be close to a current budget surplus. The Tories are going to run on a manifesto commitment to lower income tax rates to 19% and 39%. It's very clear to me now what they're doing, a net transfer of tax burden from working people (not Tories) to non-working people (Tories). It's absolutely disgusting.

What they will be able to say in 2024 is that Labour would tax you even more heavily. And that will almost certainly be true. SKS may be opportunistically opposing these tax increases but his central critique (so far as it can be ascertained) is that the government is not doing enough, not too much.

Labour will say that we all now agree taxes must go up, but they will be asking the people the Tories refuse to ask to pay more. Starmer made that pretty clear in his response to Johnson yesterday.

Might be prudent to wait until Rishi's budget in October where further tax rises may well be announced

Yep - which, of course, is one reason why all those calling for detailed, costed Labour policies so far ahead of a general election are wrong.

Yes, quite so. And for the record, those who watched Starmer's response to the statement yesterday will have heard him make it clear that rather than the NI rise on workers the extra money needed should be sought from those "with the broadest shoulders" (quote), so he's set out a clear principle. The detail can wait.

Indeed - he was very clear.

He needs a better slogan.
    Would you prefer "fuck the rich"?
    I think the intent is rather to pluck the rich ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

The latter. I have no doubt that Starmer will suppor this (if there's a vote).
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well well
  • Options

Fairly even knockabout PMQ - but a noisy chamber means Starmer has to deliver at a louder pitch and against a background of Tory abuse. I suspect this will make him seem a lot more engaged and passionate. That could be very helpful.

I'm not sure.
    It might be unfair/petty, but I think one of Starmer's bigger problems is the high pitch of his voice. Just doesn't sound prime ministerial, as Thatcher noted.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

The latter. I have no doubt that Starmer will suppor this (if there's a vote).
    If anyone cares, both Lab and Con's sockpuppets in Scotland are agin vaxports.
    Ah right, nobody cares, even in Scotland.
  • Options
    isam said:

I am very happy to discuss the positives and negatives of the Corbyn era, including the 2017 manifesto which I believe to be great. But I believe 2019 was an objective disaster and anyone trying to bring some idea of success from that election has no business in trying to tell people how Labour wins again.

Your knowledge of Tory history might be good but your Labour history is dreadful.

Labour's 2019 strategy was down to John McDonnell, not Keir Starmer.

Please do read "Left Out", as you've fallen for the Corbynite lies and spin.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

Leon said:

BBC staff have been offered an “allyship” test which identifies whether they are more privileged than their colleagues, as part of diversity training.

The resource, called The Ally Track, begins with an online game where 10 players line up on a race track and answer 20 questions. The first to reach the finish line enjoys the most “advantages” in life.

Staff are asked questions such as “Is your player a man?”, “Does your player identify as white?” and “Has your player ever been the only person of their race in a room at work?”

Another question is “Does your player identify with the gender they were born with?”

The manual also sets out seven types of allies that staff can become in the workplace.

----

One of them, the “upstander”, is someone who “shuts down, reports and pushes back on offensive jokes and inappropriate comments, even if no one’s hurt by them”. This type of ally should “check in privately with anyone who’s been offended” by the joke and “don’t just be a bystander”.

Another ally is a “confidant”, described as someone who “gives your colleague a safe space to share their experiences” and “not to jump in with your own narrative”.

A third ally type is a “champion”, who “voluntarily defers to colleagues from underrepresented groups in meetings, events and conferences”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/07/bbc-criticised-diversity-training-quiz-asking-staff-player-man/

How about just making some decent programmes instead?

There is really is a weird kind of inverse racism being espoused.

A good if longish article from an anguished centre-lefty as to why the BBC is doomed (as it stands)

‘The BBC is heading into a death spiral and we should worry about it’

https://twitter.com/psythor/status/1435483461498855426?s=21
    "Hell, how can it compete with YouTube? At the low-budget end of content production, YouTube has an entire eco-system of creators who are laser focused on niche audiences, who can use new technology to produce near-broadcast quality content for them."

The thing is, this is becoming false too. Its not near-broadcast quality, its superior.

The big Youtube creators are far from "low budget" these days and many exceed the broadcast quality of the likes of the BBC e.g. Linus Tech Tips has built a whole house inside a warehouse, everything is filmed in 4k using the equipment that costs $100ks, he has a team of many people to produce videos that are just superior to any nonsense the BBC put out with the likes of Click.

Or MKBHD, its super slick production of tech videos.

Big YouTube money has rapidly moved away from idiots in their bedrooms screaming at nonsense they find on the internet.

e.g. Veritasium channel again explains science, all in 4k, with high quality graphics, animations, footage form exciting locations etc etc etc.
    I watch a fair bit of YouTube, cookery, the planets, old TV and other stuff I’m interested in as well as pop music.

The standard is excellent on YouTube and I also use it when I have problems at home. I had condensation in my loft over the winter. My wife sees the loft as a stores and doesn’t appreciate airflow. Got the solution from YouTube. Lap vents solved the issue.

I don’t like the politics around defund the BBC but I don’t see the license fee as tenable and the BBC should move to a subscription model.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    ..what are the chances this story will become bigger than the health and social care levy.

Not looking good for Eustice in reshufffle
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Taz said:

Leon said:

BBC staff have been offered an “allyship” test which identifies whether they are more privileged than their colleagues, as part of diversity training.

The resource, called The Ally Track, begins with an online game where 10 players line up on a race track and answer 20 questions. The first to reach the finish line enjoys the most “advantages” in life.

Staff are asked questions such as “Is your player a man?”, “Does your player identify as white?” and “Has your player ever been the only person of their race in a room at work?”

Another question is “Does your player identify with the gender they were born with?”

The manual also sets out seven types of allies that staff can become in the workplace.

----

One of them, the “upstander”, is someone who “shuts down, reports and pushes back on offensive jokes and inappropriate comments, even if no one’s hurt by them”. This type of ally should “check in privately with anyone who’s been offended” by the joke and “don’t just be a bystander”.

Another ally is a “confidant”, described as someone who “gives your colleague a safe space to share their experiences” and “not to jump in with your own narrative”.

A third ally type is a “champion”, who “voluntarily defers to colleagues from underrepresented groups in meetings, events and conferences”.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/09/07/bbc-criticised-diversity-training-quiz-asking-staff-player-man/

A good if longish article from an anguished centre-lefty as to why the BBC is doomed (as it stands)

"Hell, how can it compete with YouTube? At the low-budget end of content production, YouTube has an entire eco-system of creators who are laser focused on niche audiences, who can use new technology to produce near-broadcast quality content for them."

The thing is, this is becoming false too. Its not near-broadcast quality, its superior.

The big Youtube creators are far from "low budget" these days and many exceed the broadcast quality of the likes of the BBC e.g. Linus Tech Tips has built a whole house inside a warehouse, everything is filmed in 4k using the equipment that costs $100ks, he has a team of many people to produce videos that are just superior to any nonsense the BBC put out with the likes of Click.

Big YouTube money has rapidly moved away from idiots in their bedrooms screaming at nonsense they find on the internet.

e.g. Veritasium channel again explains science, all in 4k, with high quality graphics, animations, footage form exciting locations etc etc etc.
    I watch a fair bit of YouTube, cookery, the planets, old TV and other stuff I’m interested in as well as pop music.

The standard is excellent on YouTube and I also use it when I have problems at home. I had condensation in my loft over the winter. My wife sees the loft as a stores and doesn’t appreciate airflow. Got the solution from YouTube. Lap vents solved the issue.

I don’t like the politics around defund the BBC but I don’t see the license fee as tenable and the BBC should move to a subscription model.
    Reform of the BBC funding model is a bit like social care.....its been put off and off and off.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    There are some seriously stupid people on Twitter.

hello. adora.
    @makinthemost
    ·
    10m
    Kieth Starmer must resign for murdering Geronimo for no reason
  • Options
    Nick Boles, Norman Lamb and Liz Kendal all agreed 18 month's ago that an increase to NI was the solution to the care problem

We are therfore looking at Boris implementing Labour and Lib Dem policy

Strange world is it not
  • Options
    Keir Starmer was so prepared to let Brexit go through, he pissed off Alastair Campbell.

This is all well documented and the 2019 disaster was pushed through because of McDonnell's fears about a Labour split + a YG poll showing Labour on 100 seats.

John McDonnell gets a pass though because he's of the Corbyn clan.
  • Options
    Commonwealth Fusion Systems creates viable path to commercial fusion power with world’s strongest magnet
    https://cfs.energy/news-and-media/cfs-commercial-fusion-power-with-hts-magnet
    The milestone test, conducted at MIT’s Plasma Science and Fusion Center, proved that the magnet built at scale can reach a sustained magnetic field of more than 20 tesla, enough to enable CFS’s compact tokamak device, called SPARC, to achieve net energy from fusion, a historic first...
    ...CFS and MIT’s PSFC used new commercially available high temperature superconductors (HTS) to build the magnets that will enable significantly stronger magnetic fields in a fusion device called a tokamak. While existing tokamaks rely on device scale to attempt net energy, HTS magnets enable a high-field approach that will enable CFS to reach net energy from fusion with a device that is substantially smaller, lower cost, and on a faster timeline.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    That is dreadful news
  • Options
    ping said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well

hello. adora.
    @makinthemost
    ·
    10m
    "It's death for no reason,
    And death for no reason
    Is murder."

Not even meat.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,984

Nick Boles, Norman Lamb and Liz Kendal all agreed 18 month's ago that an increase to NI was the solution to the care problem

Strange world is it not

I'm trying to work out which one of those people is in charge of the party rather than just a member of it.

Yep - none of them are the party leaders who set policy.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    ..what are the chances this story will become bigger than the health and social care levy.

Not looking good for Eustice in reshufffle
    BREAKING: Reports that there is no sign of bovine TB in the initial post mortem of Geronimo the alpaca. Not conclusive, lab will now look for signs of the disease in cells - but if this is confirmed, lots of questions for #Defra

I think it'll be confirmed he was TB free. It'll call the Gov'ts entire TB strategy into question hopefully.
  • Options
    Je ne suis pas surprised.

Albon to Williams:
    https://twitter.com/F1/status/1435573736128794626
  • Options
    eek said:

Strange world is it not

I'm trying to work out which one of those people is in charge of the party rather than just a member of it.

For a long time the Tory leadership was pro EU, why aren't they anymore?
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,193

isam said:

Your knowledge of Tory history might be good but your Labour history is dreadful.

So SKS had no input to the Brexit policy at all. One of the more catastrophic elements of the 2019 manifesto.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Kate Proctor
    @Kate_M_Proctor
    This might be the most happy I've seen Boris Johnson. Pleased as punch with health & social care levy/tax hike.
    Riding high, saying he has a plan to fix care (granted it's emerged 19mo later than billed) + Labour doesn't.

Starmer says the Tories are hammering working ppl.

So the "Cobalt Corbyn" ( D. Tel.) is winning at PMQs?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,873
    isam said:

I just knew Owen wouldn't let us down this morning! :smiley:

Owen Jones 🌹
    @OwenJones84
    ·
    27m
    Labour were offered a massive open goal - "Let's introduce a wealth tax to pay for social care instead of hammering the low-paid!" - and instead wet themselves in public, leaving the Tories jubilant.

Utterly pathetic. There is no Official Opposition in this country.

He is right though.

Shocking Politics from SKS

AGAIN
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,903

Per R Burgon:

"If we put a 10% tax on the wealth of those with over £100m, we would raise £69 billion."

That would *only* raise £69bn? really? barely a mark on the public finances?

Not sure if that is right, but 1% over £10m sounds more realistic and raises about £43bn per year according to the LSE.

https://www.wealthandpolicy.com/wp/WealthTaxFinalReport_FAQ.pdf
    Not a chance. That number assumes no-one changes their behaviour as a result of its introduction.

Do we need reminding that Lewis Hamilton already lives in Monaco, and Richard Branson in the Virgin Islands?

Target genuine non-property wealth and you’ll see a massive exodus from the City.
  • Options
    eek said:

Strange world is it not

So the Shadow Social Care minister isn't relevant to the Opposition's Social Care policy?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    It is interesting that you have supported a party led by a liar a cheat a freeloader an adulterer (one who left his wife when he discovered she had cancer)) an impregnater of more women than he can remember and one who led a campaign that has caused more division in this country than any including the miners strike for the ambition of becoming leader of the Tory Party and that you're leaving because he's increasing tax by 1.25%

I think you're making a huge mistake. The party needs people like you.
  • Options
    Taz said:

isam said:

So SKS had no input to the Brexit policy at all. One of the more catastrophic elements of the 2019 manifesto.
    I'm not saying he had no input at all, just that to say he led Labour's Remain campaign is literally incorrect.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,548

Leon said:

----

The important thing is to distinguish between essential and inessential. the thought of having not a single news outlet in the UK that was well funded, fairly impartial, with world wide coverage is pretty terrible.

And a world without Radio 4, Radio 3 (and 5 for when stuff actually is happening live) is not a great prospect.

• Options
    How did Williamson get Rashford and Itoje mixed up, Itoje is 7 inches taller and 5 stone heavier !
    They're nothing like each other facially either.
  • Options
    eek said:

Strange world is it not

Liz Kendall is in charge of the policy and that was their plan then
  • Options

Taz said:

isam said:

I'm not saying he had no input at all, just that to say he led Labour's Remain campaign is literally incorrect.
    He was literally Shadow Brexit Secretary and was the public face of Labour's Remain campaign.

You may not call that leading it . . .
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

This is unfortunate...

And for a 4th time....FFS, Crtl F...check...then paste.
    I normally do check so agree with where you are coming from but to be fair, the way pb threads are broken up means by the time you have checked seven or eight pages, either the moment has passed or someone has sneaked in before you. It would be easier if each thread were just one long page but of course there are downsides there.
  • Options

eek said:

Strange world is it not

Liz Kendall is in charge of the policy and that was their plan then
    Boris Johnson used to be in charge of the Foreign Office!
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,229

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    That is dreadful news
    ...for the late Geronimo... or DEFRA?
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

No need to prove vaccination status to go to the Commons. Is that right?

One rule for them...

A point made by a Tory MP...
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021

Taz said:

isam said:

He was literally Shadow Brexit Secretary and was the public face of Labour's Remain campaign.

You may not call that leading it . . .
    He wasn't the public face of Labour's Remain campaign, as I said to you already, he tried to implement Brexit, much to the dismay of the Remain campaign.

He was Shadow Brexit Sec, he had input. But he did not lead it. If it weren't for John McDonnell the 2019 Labour policy would have been to implement Brexit

This isn't disputed, please read "Left Out".
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

ping said:

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well

hello. adora.
    @makinthemost
    ·
    10m
    "It's death for no reason,
    And death for no reason
    Is murder."

Not even meat.
    Thankfully, Charlie has figured out what is really going on, and shared his findings with Twitter;

Charlie
    @ASonNamedBort
    ·
    57s
    Geronimo was killed by FBPE agents to undermine the government and overturn Brexit.
  • Options
    Sky reporting "a number of TB-like lesions" found in Geronimo with further tests to take months.

Rather different to simply "no TB".
  • Options
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

----

The important thing is to distinguish between essential and inessential. the thought of having not a single news outlet in the UK that was well funded, fairly impartial, with world wide coverage is pretty terrible.

And a world without Radio 4, Radio 3 (and 5 for when stuff actually is happening live) is not a great prospect.

Herein lies the problem though. I firmly agree with you about the radio. (I'd switch 3 for 6 mind).
    Everyone likes the bits they like. They think the bits they don't like are an inessential waste of money.
  • Options

eek said:

Strange world is it not

Something about two versions of an article and the best strategy to replace David Cameron. What Boris actually thinks about the EU is anyone's guess, especially after a decade spent making up scare stories about bent cucumbers and straight bananas.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatteryCorrectHorseBattery Posts: 21,436
    edited September 2021

eek said:

Strange world is it not

Something about two versions of an article and the best strategy to replace David Cameron. What Boris actually thinks about the EU is anyone's guess, especially after a decade spent making up scare stories about bent cucumbers and straight bananas.
    It's just boring to have the Tory "waverer" talk about policy suggestions made in the past as being this big thing, because his hero BoJo has said it.

Tony Blair once called for the undoing of all of Thatcher's reforms!

It's pathetic.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    That is dreadful news
    Both
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    So if Geronimo has no TB, Alpaca steak is on the menu tonight?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Fairly even knockabout PMQ - but a noisy chamber means Starmer has to deliver at a louder pitch and against a background of Tory abuse. I suspect this will make him seem a lot more engaged and passionate. That could be very helpful.

I'm not sure.
    It might be unfair/petty, but I think one of Starmer's bigger problems is the high pitch of his voice. Just doesn't sound prime ministerial, as Thatcher noted.
    I don't imagine Thatcher noted anything about Starmer's voice, given she died even before he was an MP.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    Foxy said:

Probably the best breakfast is none, or just a black coffee*. That breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a myth promoted by cereal manufacturers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/28/breakfast-health-america-kellog-food-lifestyle

* if that is too radical, an egg or two with no toast or other carbs.

Absolute total, unadulterated bollocks. Not surprising from an NHS consultant, that said.

Skip breakfast and by 10am you are hungry, lose concentration and are likely to attack a packet of chocolate digestives.

Have a good breakfast and that will see you through to lunch.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure.
    I don't imagine Thatcher noted anything about Starmer's voice, given she died even before he was an MP.
    Very good. I imagine her voice coach is no longer available, either.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

Taz said:

Leon said:

----

Reform of the BBC funding model is a bit like social care.....its been put off and off and off.
    Except we need social care.

I recall a debate a couple of years back over if you had to choose one - the BBC or Youtube - which would you choose. Is there anyone here who would still choose the BBC?

To be clear, there are some bits of BBC output that I value - TMS, Only Connect, Radio 6 after 2pm or before 10am on weekends - and would be prepared to pay for. I resent having to pay for all of it though.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

How did Williamson get Rashford and Itoje mixed up, Itoje is 7 inches taller and 5 stone heavier !

To be fair, on a Zoom call height is not a factor. It is more that Rashford is famous for both football and wanting free school meals, and the other bloke isn't, so I can understand Williamson not remembering he'd met Itoje but can't see how he'd think he'd met Rashford.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

This is what leaning left on the economy and leaning right on culture looks like. It is a new era in British politics.....

.....Classic low tax fiscal Conservatives will hate it. Many on left will struggle to reply to it. But goes to show how tectonic plates of British politics are on move, also (imo) Johnson underestimated. Happy to be wrong but suspect much of this strengthens not weakens his appeal

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1435543769303158790?s=20

I'll let Owen reply to this -

The politics professor has logged on to tell us that hiking taxes on the low-paid to protect the wealthy is "leaning left on the economy".
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

----

I recall a debate a couple of years back over if you had to choose one - the BBC or Youtube - which would you choose. Is there anyone here who would still choose the BBC?

To be clear, there are some bits of BBC output that I value - TMS, Only Connect, Radio 6 after 2pm or before 10am on weekends - and would be prepared to pay for. I resent having to pay for all of it though.
    Well some would argue we need a BBC to at very least provide things like impartial news coverage. If you need 4 tv channels, 6 national radio channels, etc, that's a different matter.

The problem is the current model is a) outdated, b) totally unenforceable, c) BBC not being watched by the next generation, all while the BBC blob treat it as their god given right to exist and not to reform in anyway.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Anne Marie Morris will abstain on the tax rises.
    Cites "lack of a clear plan" on workforce to clear NHS backlog, nor to provide enough care workers.

Yes, she made an important point, that I hadn't really thought about.

The government has said that a White Paper on health and social care will be published 'before the end of the year'. Surely if the policy was joined up the White Paper would have been published simultaneously with the spending plans announced yesterday?

It all make me increasingly suspicious that the social care 'plan' (and the NHS backlog plan) is just sticking plaster, and not the comprehensive National Care Plan that is needed.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure.
    The Blessed Margaret (pbuh) doesn't conform to the limits of mere mortality.
    We know this, because the high priests channel her opinions and policies on issues of the moment to an awed and grateful public on a daily basis.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Probably the best breakfast is none, or just a black coffee*. That breakfast is the most important meal of the day is a myth promoted by cereal manufacturers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/nov/28/breakfast-health-america-kellog-food-lifestyle

Absolute total, unadulterated bollocks. Not surprising from an NHS consultant, that said.

Skip breakfast and by 10am you are hungry, lose concentration and are likely to attack a packet of chocolate digestives.

One of the great things about WFH is being able to have meals when I want. I'm never hungry at breakfast time - far better, for me personally, to put it off until about 11, allowing me then to put off lunch until 1.30 or later, which allows me to get through to tea at about 7.30. Under the normal cycle I'm eating anything not nailed down by 6pm.
    And yes, I could bring tea forward until 6. But then I'd have to start cooking at 5, and I don't have the time at 5 to start cooking.
  • Options
    isam said:

Boris quoting back to the SNP as well as Labour that this was their policy he's implemented.

That's the issue though.

And the polls say Labour fans don’t like it because it wasn’t them who did it! How ridiculous is tribal politics?!
    Labour and their supporters dislike using NI to raise funds because it's regressive. They would prefer Income Tax or (if they're me) think the best solution is a Wealth Tax.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Hi Philip

Just flying by and was surprised to read your announcement. Although not of your political persuasion I take no joy in it and hope that this does not lead to a disenchantment with the political process and cause you to detach from political engagement generally and this site in particular. Your wit, wisdom and honesty would be sorely missed.

Keep well and I hope to be engaging with you again in due course, in the best sense naturally!

PtP

That was nice, so ditto.

I both enjoy and get challenged by discussions with you @Philip_Thompson We agree on a lot but also have had some humdinger disagreement on a number of topics. It is funny that when we agree I think you are putting forward brilliant arguments and when we disagree I think you are being completely dogmatic (I was going to say irrational, but I don't think I could ever call you that). I think that might say more about me than you.

You would be welcome in the LDs, but I suspect you may struggle on a few issues (eg FPTP) so in a way I hope the Tory party changes to fit people like you and @TSE better.
    Philip Thompson voted for Brexit in 2016 thus changing the Tory Party from the coalition of workers it was under Cameron to the coalition of pensioners and their heirs it is now. Due to Brexit the Tories have lost many voters under 45 who voted Remain to Labour and the LDs but the Tories have gained lots of pensioners and those over 45 who voted Leave from UKIP and Labour.

He has nobody to blame but himself
    Not a bad point at all. What are you still doing in the party (not a facetious question - genuinely curious).
    I am a loyal Tory.

I voted for Cameron, I voted Remain in 2016 but I accepted the result and I still back the Tories. I always vote Tory and am a Tory member, even voting Tory in 2001 under Hague when Philip Thompson was voting Labour. I will also vote Tory in 2023/4 when it seems Philip Thompson will vote LD.

However I also recognise Brexit has changed the nature of the Tory coalition from the party mainly of workers under Cameron who had only a small lead amongst pensioners (with some of the latter in particular also voting UKIP in 2015) to a party with a huge lead amongst pensioners but which has lost the vote of most under 45s. It was Brexit which did that and it was Philip Thompson who voted for it not me, he should accept the consequences of his actions
    "I am a loyal Tory"

Why?

I'm not being facetious. I can understand if someone believed one's party was associated with a certain policy direction, or philosophy which were the ones that someone believed in - but I can't understand sticking to a party if that party were to shift hugely in policy direction and philosophy.

A party exists to promote a given philosophy or policy direction, otherwise it's just a parasite in the body politic.

The reason that Philip and Big_G voted otherwise under Blair was that they perceived that the parties had moved philosophically and policy direction-wise and stuck loyally with their underlying beliefs (which is why Philip has left the Conservatives).

Is there anything that would cause you to abandon the Conservatives, or would you stick with them regardless of their philosophical or policy direction?
  • Options

Sky reporting "a number of TB-like lesions" found in Geronimo with further tests to take months.

Whether he had TB or not, the way he was killed/taken away at the end was unforgiveable. The fault is mainly with DEFRA, but his owner should have told them (When they got on site) that he should have been sedated and then euthanised there and then instead of being dragged off and apparently strangled. DEFRA should have at least sedated him before carting him off.
  • Options
    I was wondering what was going on with this...

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-martinez-buendia-chelsea-21508275

Emiliano Buendia and Emiliano Martinez will both miss the clash [with Chelsea] after representing Argentina in a Covid-19 "red list" country [Brazil] last week.

This means that both players would have to self-isolate in a hotel for 10 days upon arrival back in the UK, but have instead opted to stop-off in Croatia, according to reports.

Both players can continue training in Croatia, as it is a "green list" country and can then arrive back in the UK without the need to quarantine ahead of Villa 's second Premier League game of the month, against Everton the following weekend.

I'm sure Croatia are delighted with that!

Also...

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12040/12402167/brazilian-fa-asks-fifa-to-block-liverpool-man-utd-man-city-leeds-and-chelsea-from-selecting-brazilian-players-from-september-10-14

The world governing body has been asked to intervene and apply Article 5 to enforce the restriction period of September 10-14, which would see players miss this weekend's round of Premier League fixtures and also Tuesday's Champions League matches.

According to FIFA Article 22 of its Disciplinary Code, the sanctions that may be applied if these restrictions are ignored include fines and forfeiting the match 3-0, although it is unclear what might happen if Leeds and Liverpool, who meet at Elland Road on Super Sunday, both defied any FIFA ruling.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

----

Please allow me to remind you of the TOPPING PATENTED BBC SUBSCRIPTION MODEL.

Split the BBC up into component parts - radio, news, children's, drama, sport, entertainment, etc and then each of those would have a monthly subscription. With a bonus if you buy more. Hence TMS = Sport = £2.99/month. Radio = 2.99/month. So your proclivities would cost you £5.98/month.

(For ref: current license fee = £13.25/month.)

I happen to believe that it will turn out to be better value to pay £13.25/month for everything but that wouldn't be for everyone.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    The cold blooded murder of the defenceless Geronimo, by agents of the British state - has more cut-through than the SC/NI rise.

Boris is a lucky boy.

What it says about our society, well…
  • Options
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

One of the great things about WFH is being able to have meals when I want. I'm never hungry at breakfast time - far better, for me personally, to put it off until about 11, allowing me then to put off lunch until 1.30 or later, which allows me to get through to tea at about 7.30. Under the normal cycle I'm eating anything not nailed down by 6pm.
    And yes, I could bring tea forward until 6. But then I'd have to start cooking at 5, and I don't have the time at 5 to start cooking.
    = three meals a day = very healthy.

Skipping meals is the road to ruin/thicker waistband usually (ie unless you are in training for something).
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Depends, I do intermittent fasting, not because I believe it has magical super healing properties (or whatever bollocks some non-doctor on the internet suggests), but because by restricting my eating window I consume less calories.

Once you get into the routine, it isn't hard, nor am I hungry outside the window. The most common way of doing this is no breakfast and then eat 12-8pm.

Its about routine. If you stick to it, your body adjusts and you don't feel hungry.
  • Options

Cookie said:

Taz said:

Leon said:

----

Well some would argue we need a BBC to at very least provide things like impartial news coverage. If you need 4 tv channels, 6 national radio channels, etc, that's a different matter.

The problem is the current model is a) outdated, b) totally unenforceable, c) BBC not being watched by the next generation, all while the BBC blob treat it as their god given right to exist and not to reform in anyway.
    This would be a reasonable argument if providing impartial news coverage was something the BBC did. As the example in the embedded quotes shows, it's so firmly wedded to one particular agenda that it finds it very difficult to do this.
  • Options

isam said:

Who was Shadow Brexit Sec?
  • Options
    COVID update. My sister and family went to the Lake District and caught COVID. My niece tested positive last Nov/Dec via a PCR test, but none of the others did (which seemed odd). Well she's tested positive again so either she's had it (or variants of) twice or the PCR in Nov/Dec 2020 was a false positive.

Kids barely a sniffle, dad feeling lethargic, mum has a sore throat. But the vaccines are doing their job.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Who was Shadow Brexit Sec?
    Read the book - and all is explained perfectly coherently there.

Talking to you is a waste of time, evidently.
  • Options
    I am almost physically incapable of eating within 4/5 hours of waking. Feel unwell if I do. I attempt it if I am in a hotel with breakfast included. Never otherwise.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,443
    Pulpstar said:

Whether he had TB or not, the way he was killed/taken away at the end was unforgiveable. The fault is mainly with DEFRA, but his owner should have told them (When they got on site) that he should have been sedated and then euthanised there and then instead of being dragged off and apparently strangled. DEFRA should have at least sedated him before carting him off.
    You make it sound like RSPCA were involved.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

The big danger of WFH is that it become graze from home....go to get a cuppa, opens fridges, ohhhh food.....

As I said downthread, I apply intermittent fasting for this very reason. When I started WFH I put on a load of weight, because I just grazed throughout the day. Now I don't eat until lunchtime, where I have "breakfast" stuff, normally oats, and I am then filled up until dinner.

And then I never eat after 9-10pm when I work into the night, that is absolutely the road to ruin.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I'm not sure.
    Very good. I imagine her voice coach is no longer available, either.
    I don't think it's the pitch of his voice. Tony was quite tenor alto. His problem imo is that he doesn't make much of an emotional connection with the public. That's more the public's fault than his but it's he who has to make the change if he's serious about becoming PM, which he clearly is, I can smell the desire and ambition.

PS:I cannot abide Johnson's voice. The combination of that and his manner makes me cringe. I'm not just saying that, it truly does. I find it hard to listen to him.
  • Options
    Interesting that I found much to agree with Philip Thompson's article, but was delighted at the headline. I very much hope that people of such far right English nationalist views as Philip take his lead and leave the party that I was once a member of, so that it can return to a more sane and moderate version of its current populist far right self. If that happens and there are less people that share Philip's views I might just re-join.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

This is what leaning left on the economy and leaning right on culture looks like. It is a new era in British politics.....

.....Classic low tax fiscal Conservatives will hate it. Many on left will struggle to reply to it. But goes to show how tectonic plates of British politics are on move, also (imo) Johnson underestimated. Happy to be wrong but suspect much of this strengthens not weakens his appeal

The politics professor has logged on to tell us that hiking taxes on the low-paid to protect the wealthy is "leaning left on the economy".
    What's Labour's alternative?
  • Options
    ping said:

The cold blooded murder of the defenceless Geronimo, by agents of the British state - has more cut-through than the SC/NI rise.

Boris is a lucky boy.

What it says about our society, well…

My family are extremely upset and angry over this
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Not eating breakfast is lunacy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Plus Rashford is high profile. It doesn't look great for Gav, this.
  • Options

Cookie said:

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

The big danger of WFH is that it become graze from home....go to get a cuppa, opens fridges, ohhhh food.....

As I said downthread, I apply intermittent fasting for this very reason. When I started WFH I put on a load of weight, because I just grazed throughout the day. Now I don't eat until lunchtime, where I have "breakfast" stuff, normally oats, and I am then filled up until dinner.

And then I never eat after 9-10pm when I work into the night, that is absolutely the road to ruin.
    Three meals a day remains for most people the most sensible and healthy eating regime. Not snacking between meals, not as you say grazing, and not just a cup of black coffee for breakfast.

The fact is that ingesting calories = energy = desire to do activity = burn calories.

Calories are not the enemy.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,204

Pulpstar said:

dixiedean said:

Well well
    That is dreadful news
    I'd say we should be good to eat him now, but having tried alpaca sausages from one of our friends who breeds them, I wouldn't bother...
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Goodwin's response to a similar comment:

Massive expansion of state, huge spending increases, biggest increase in tax as gdp since Attlee was building welfare state?
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

This is unfortunate...

It's an easy mistake to make. I quite often get Gavin Williamson confused with Frank Spencer.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

I am almost physically incapable of eating within 4/5 hours of waking. Feel unwell if I do. I attempt it if I am in a hotel with breakfast included. Never otherwise.

Homo Economicus speaks.
  • Options

eek said:

Strange world is it not

There was a coup by the populists, first at local and then national level. Entryists from UKIP and Brexit Party completed the takeover. The Tory Party bears no resemblance to what it was even 20 years ago.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I wouldn't. i tried alpaca sausages from a breeder friend. Not good. I could only eat them covered in ketchup.*

* The sausages, obviously...
  • Options
    The llama (an animal, lest we forget) was "strangled"?

Are we absolutely sure about this? A bit big for someone to wring its neck.

A lot of bollocks talked about the whole thing.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

I wouldn't. i tried alpaca sausages from a breeder friend. Not good. I could only eat them covered in ketchup.*

"breeder friend" sounds like a website for a certain demographic.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

Not eating breakfast is lunacy.
    Comrade...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

What's Labour's alternative?
    Why do you want to know?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

Plus Rashford is high profile. It doesn't look great for Gav, this.
    Leaving him in post doesn't look good for Bozo either.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

"breeder friend" sounds like a website for a certain demographic.
    I did worry about that phrase but expected the denizens of pb to rise above it. I see I was mistaken... :D
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694
    TOPPING said:

Foxy said:

As usual, you are completely wrong. Hunger pangs are worse in those that eat breakfast. This is backed by science. The book cited in this article covers it well:

https://www.marieclaire.co.uk/life/health-fitness/breakfast-is-a-dangerous-meal-462112-462112

Indeed fasting notably sharpens the mind...
This discussion has been closed.