Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » A Sutton Coldfield by-election could now be nailed on

Comments

• Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    edited January 2014
    malcolmg said:

Certainly not and in fact quite the opposite, I am suggesting that whilst England would charge Scottish students it would not be fair or proper for Scotland to fund English students.

Sounds like the SNP will need a renegotiation of EU Treaties if they get independence then...

Anyway, how come the SNP isn't making the same argument against Dutch kids?
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

An indy Scotland in the EU would have to treat rUK the same as other EU countries in respect of university admissions.

I think that being so anti English students is unwise. The SNP is not anti immigrant, and English graduates of Scottish universities are quite likely to be a source of skilled immigrants who would integrate well into Scottish society, as many have done in the past.

Surely you are not suggesting that the Scottish electorate is anti-English?

malcolmg said:

To charge all students in Scotland fees; then have some sort of grant system would perhaps be workeable. The grants could not be restricted to Scottish universities though. Scots could have their grants applied to any EU course including rUK.

Its rather like EU laws on benefits. There is no requirement for recpricocity, just that EU residents get the same treatment as domestic residents.

malcolmg said:

Mr. G, if you're arguing (assuming independence occurs) for all EU (non-Scots) students to pay fees or for all EU students not to pay fees, that's a valid perspective (not sure if the former would be workable, but it is coherent).

Post-independence, arguing that the English, Welsh and Northern Irish should pay tuition fees but neither the Scots nor anyone else in the EU should [again, assuming EU membership as per the SNP's desire] is just incoherent, inconsistent and indefensible.

MD, I do not think so , EU law is that reciprocal education between member states apply. If England charges £9K a year then Scotland would be happy to reciprocate. Very simple. Also worst case Scotland just charges and gives Scottish students £9K a year study fees. What will not happen is that English students will be allowed to sponge off us whilst they charge Scottish students.
    You can be sure there is a way round it , the fair and proper way would be for English students to pay and the people would not accept anything less. Any Scottish government that paid out would not last long.
    Certainly not and in fact quite the opposite, I am suggesting that whilst England would charge Scottish students it would not be fair or proper for Scotland to fund English students.
    Unsurprisingly legal experts think the SNP's discriminatory policy will have to go;
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537823/Charging-British-students-tuition-fees-Scottish-universities-independence-illegal-say-experts.html
  • Options

When I am elected dictator for life by a grateful populace, my first decree will be that university access is decided by a lottery amongst all those who meet whatever is deemed the minimum A-level requirement. As well as being fair, it would also save a great deal of time and money: no interviews or travel required as it would take a computer about ten minutes once the exam results are known, and academics can get on with curing cancer or deciphering the Dead Sea scrolls.

That seems like a mad proposal. The reason why Oxbridge insist on interviews is because undergraduates are taught in one-on-one or one-on-two tutorials. It is essential therefore for college tutors to be able to judge how well a candidate is likely to perform in tutorials, and indeed, whether the candidate is somebody that the tutor is going to enjoy teaching for three or four years. Moreover, grades, especially given recent inflation, are indicative indicators, but no more, of performance at undergraduate level. Oxbridge is not about the throughput of undergraduates, but about high quality personalised tuition. Your suggestion would do much to vitiate that.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Peter Hitchens is an idiot that makes idiotic arguments. Just read his bit about Germany at the end. Not being able to tell the difference between a militaristic, autocratic Germany dominating Europe and a liberal democratic Germany dominating Europe really shows his idiocy.
  • Options
    TSE - tempted to take on Liverpool today, double-chance get 13-8 on Stoke win/draw....

Wait to see if the weather is 'choppy' first.... if sunny/calm, might not do so.
  • Options
    isam said:
    Getting involved in drugs killed Mark Duggan. He did it because it is a lucrative trade. He actually made a rational decision. There is an endless demand for what he sold from people of all colours, classes, orientations and political creeds. Anyone on here who has ever smoked a joint, done a line or anything else is complicit.

• Options

When I am elected dictator for life by a grateful populace, my first decree will be that university access is decided by a lottery amongst all those who meet whatever is deemed the minimum A-level requirement. As well as being fair, it would also save a great deal of time and money: no interviews or travel required as it would take a computer about ten minutes once the exam results are known, and academics can get on with curing cancer or deciphering the Dead Sea scrolls.

That seems like a mad proposal. The reason why Oxbridge insist on interviews is because undergraduates are taught in one-on-one or one-on-two tutorials. It is essential therefore for college tutors to be able to judge how well a candidate is likely to perform in tutorials, and indeed, whether the candidate is somebody that the tutor is going to enjoy teaching for three or four years. Moreover, grades, especially given recent inflation, are indicative indicators, but no more, of performance at undergraduate level. Oxbridge is not about the throughput of undergraduates, but about high quality personalised tuition. Your suggestion would do much to vitiate that.
    Agreed, but Oxbridge admissions are still screwed up for a bunch of reasons. They're done on the college level by whatever professors they can scrape together to do it. I've had one professor tell me, regarding young females applying "Because they all have four As and a bunch of extracurricular activity, I can never tell the difference between them. I may as well choose the ones I will enjoy looking at for the next four years."
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited January 2014

Best not let OGH see this one - he might have a Porterhouse blue:

A free school in Newham, East London, gets the save number of pupils into Oxbridge as a£32k a year public school:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100254017/free-schools-oxbridge-triumph/

By Gove, that is an impressive result in so short a time since foundation. And it is not just in Oxbridge admissions too. The home page of the School's website states:

70% of our current Y13's AS results are A or B grades, and six have offers from Oxford or Cambridge University.

LAE is a brand new A-level sixth in Stratford, East London, right next to the station and the Olympic Park. We've been open only one year .

And you don't need to browse much further than the home page to see why the school is being successful.

Just look at the slide show of quotations under "What is special about LAE?".

"The secret of happiness is freedom. The secret of freedom is courage."
    Thucydides, Historian and Author, BC 460-BC 395

"Who wants to eat the same meal every day?"
    Elizabeth David, Traveller, Writer and Kitchen Revolutionary, 1913-1992

"Good food is the foundation of genuine happiness"
    Auguste Escoffier, The first and greatest Celebrity Chef, 1846-1935

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore."
    Christopher Columbus, Explorer, 1451-1506

"Let us learn to dream, gentleman, and then perhaps we shall learn the truth."
    August Kekulé, Organic Chemist, 1829-1896

"Nothing in life is to be feared. It is only to be understood."
    Marie Curie, Physicist and Chemist, 1867-1934

"No, 1729 is a very interesting number."
    Srinivasa Ramanujan, Mathematician, 1887-1920

"Science and everyday life cannot and should not be separated."
    Rosalind Franklin, Biophysicist, 1920-1958

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."
    Coco Chanel, Fashion Designer, 1883-1971

"You do not just need imagination for filmmaking, you also need a lot of passion."
    Pedro Almodovar, Film Director, Born 1949

"There are a great many better things in the world than beating other people in examinations"
    Philippa Fawcett, Mathematician and Educationalist, 1868-1948

"The human mind has a natural tendency to explore what has passed in distant ages in scenes with which it is familiar."
    Reverend William Buckland, Theologian, Geologist and Palaeontologist, 1784-1856

"Full wise is he that can himself know."
    Geoffrey Chaucer, Author, 1343-1400

"Changes are products of intensive efforts."
    Muhammad Yunnus, Economist, Born 1940

Immediately you get an impression of the culture at the school: the intellectual curiosity and love of learning.

A real triumph for education policy here, and not simply a judgement formed by counting Oxbridge admission numbers.
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Agreed, but Oxbridge admissions are still screwed up for a bunch of reasons. They're done on the college level by whatever professors they can scrape together to do it. I've had one professor tell me, regarding young females applying "Because they all have four As and a bunch of extracurricular activity, I can never tell the difference between them. I may as well choose the ones I will enjoy looking at for the next four years."

College tutors have the final say on admissions for very good reasons. The majority of teaching in most subjects is done at college level. Of course, there may be some fellows who would prefer to be living in the nineteenth-century or earlier, but today they are few and far between.
  • Options

but today they are few and far between.

Yeah, sure.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

isam said:
    Getting involved in drugs killed Mark Duggan. He did it because it is a lucrative trade. He actually made a rational decision. There is an endless demand for what he sold from people of all colours, classes, orientations and political creeds. Anyone on here who has ever smoked a joint, done a line or anything else is complicit.

Agree with that.One of the successes of the government is that they made the penalties stricter for rioting probably preventing another riot after the Duggan judgement.
  • Options
    Life_ina_market_townLife_ina_market_town Posts: 2,319
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

Yeah, sure.

Any evidence, beyond blind prejudice and myth, to the contrary?
  • Options

isam said:

It's certainly not a rational decision - over the long term, the risk of death or prison is actually pretty high. It's done for short termist reasons, and then once you're in, you're in.

But thanks for clearing me of responsibility for Mark Duggan's murder!
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates

I think you need to understand Oxbridge Senior Common Room humour.

What is said and what is done are not always the same.

• Options

Socrates said:

Yeah, sure.

Any evidence, beyond blind prejudice and myth, to the contrary?
    Personal knowledge of many of these people. Anyway, you were the one that made the claim they were few in number - any evidence for that?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    AveryLP said:

A free school in Newham, East London, gets the save number of pupils into Oxbridge as a£32k a year public school:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tobyyoung/100254017/free-schools-oxbridge-triumph/

By Gove, that is an impressive result in so short a time since foundation. And it is not just in Oxbridge admissions too. The home page of the School's website states:

70% of our current Y13's AS results are A or B grades, and six have offers from Oxford or Cambridge University.

LAE is a brand new A-level sixth in Stratford, East London, right next to the station and the Olympic Park. We've been open only one year .

It's a sixth-form college. How long is it supposed to take?

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I hope everyone heard Nick Clegg's comments this morning on the desirability of coalitions. He's clearly positioning the Lib Dems for a second coalition post-2015. Minority governments look unlikely, therefore. Bet accordingly.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

Agree with that.One of the successes of the government is that they made the penalties stricter for rioting probably preventing another riot after the Duggan judgement.

The maximum penalty for riot, under section 1 of the Public Order Act 1986, was ten years imprisonment when the government came to power, and it has not changed. The government has not increased penalties for public disorder.
  • Options
    Immediately you get an impression of the culture at the school: the intellectual curiosity and love of learning.

A real triumph for education policy here, and not simply a judgement formed by counting Oxbridge admission numbers.

Surely a real triumph for amassing the most able 6th form students in an area in one place. Maybe this is something that could be replicated elsewhere - whether via free schools or state schools: 15 or 16 may be a very good age for it. I am not sure about Oxbridge entries, but round here the Warwickshire College does a brilliant job at getting its pupils into university, and with achieving top class A level results generally.

• Options
    AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

Socrates

I know a couple of others that have interviewed with him. They have confirmed he was deadly serious.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

AveryLP said:

As the school has only been open a year , it is much more likely that the achievements of the pupils is down to the schooling they had received in the previous 12 years at non free schools .
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

isam said:

I think Hitchens would say our lax enforcement of drug laws fall into his category of liberal compassion
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Personal knowledge of many of these people. Anyway, you were the one that made the claim they were few in number - any evidence for that?

The default position of a rational person must be that Oxbridge academics are no more prejudiced or old-fashioned than academics at comparable institutions. It is for those who maintain the contrary to produce the evidence for their case.
  • Options

SMukesh said:

The maximum penalty for riot, under section 1 of the Public Order Act 1986, was ten years imprisonment when the government came to power, and it has not changed. The government has not increased penalties for public disorder.
    The maximum penalties may not have changed.The Guardian reported that the government sent out directives to magistrates to impose stricter sentences.Certainly people getting 4 years for inciting riots which didn`t happen is quite stiff.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Avery has put his finger on another reason education debates are so screwed up. Logically independent positions are paired together arbitrarily and labelled left or right wing.

Intellectual curiosity and love of learning -- in other times, under different governments, this would be labelled left wing clap-trap. It is surely the classic defence of what Americans term a liberal arts education.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

As the school has only been open a year , it is much more likely that the achievements of the pupils is down to the schooling they had received in the previous 12 years at non free schools .
    Then I await your analysis of their former schools' Oxbridge admission and AS results, or will you be arguing that the LAE has creamed off all the top pupils?

The initial success of LAE is impressive by any reasonable measurement.

• Options
    Socrates said:

isam said:

It's certainly not a rational decision - over the long term, the risk of death or prison is actually pretty high. It's done for short termist reasons, and then once you're in, you're in.

Risk of death is pretty low. Prison is certainly an occupational hazard, but the chances of a really long stretch are minimal. It is true, though, that once you are in you are in.

Those that do not and/or who have never taken drugs have far less responsibility for Duggan's death than those who do or who have in the past. The police have to deal with the results of the market that has been created. If you are not - or have never been - part of that market, you can't really be blamed for how it works.

• Options
    Socrates said:

AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

Socrates

I know a couple of others that have interviewed with him. They have confirmed he was deadly serious.
    I don't doubt it.

• Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    Socrates said:

AveryLP said:

Socrates said:

Socrates

He'd be better off picking the ugly ones, they might let him f*** them.

• Options

Socrates said:

The default position of a rational person must be that Oxbridge academics are no more prejudiced or old-fashioned than academics at comparable institutions. It is for those who maintain the contrary to produce the evidence for their case.
    I completely agree: Oxbridge academics are no more prejudiced or old-fashioned than academics at other seven century old elite institutions in a class-based society.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,156

Why should English students be treated differently from other EU students? Romanians could study free but a Berwick lad could not? I am glad it makes sense to you, it makes no sense to me!

malcolmg said:

An indy Scotland in the EU would have to treat rUK the same as other EU countries in respect of university admissions.

malcolmg said:

To charge all students in Scotland fees; then have some sort of grant system would perhaps be workeable. The grants could not be restricted to Scottish universities though. Scots could have their grants applied to any EU course including rUK.

malcolmg said:

Mr. G, if you're incoherent, inconsistent and indefensible.

MD, I do not think so , EU law is that reciprocal education between member states apply. If England charges £9K a year then Scotland would be happy to reciprocate. Very simple. Also worst case Scotland just charges and gives Scottish students £9K a year study fees. What will not happen is that English students will be allowed to sponge off us whilst they charge Scottish students.
    You can be sure there is a way round it , the fair and proper way would be for English students to pay and the people would not accept anything less. Any Scottish government that paid out would not last long.
    Fox, stick to the pertinent point , Scottish student can study in Romania for free whilst they are charged circa £9K to study in England. So you are telling me you cannot see fairness in the reciprocation of this principle. That it is fair for England to charge Scottish students a huge amount and yet expect Scotland to pay for all English students education. You seriously do not expect me to think that your are not intelligent enoug hto work out what is fair and proper given above circumstances. Can you name any other EU country that charges Scottish students for education.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

Well Labour tried for 13 years and nothing happened, DJL.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

I think Hitchens would say our lax enforcement of drug laws fall into his category of liberal compassion
    Because stringent enforcement of drug laws, as seen in places like the USA, Mexico and Colombia, evidently reduces violence.
  • Options
    SMukesh said:

The maximum penalties may not have changed.The Guardian reported that the government sent out directives to magistrates to impose stricter sentences.Certainly people getting 4 years for inciting riots which didn`t happen is quite stiff.

Conspiracy theories abounded, but the government has no power to direct magistrates' on sentencing. Nor do magistrates have power to pass sentences in excess of twelve months imprisonment. As the judgment of Lord Judge CJ, sitting with Thomas PQBD and Leveson LJ (as they then were) in R v Blackshaw and others [2011] EWCA Crim 2312, the judiciary were entirely responsible for the severity of the sentences imposed after the 2011 riots.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Why should English students be treated differently from other EU students? Romanians could study free but a Berwick lad could not? I am glad it makes sense to you, it makes no sense to me!

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Fox, stick to the pertinent point , Scottish student can study in Romania for free whilst they are charged circa £9K to study in England. So you are telling me you cannot see fairness in the reciprocation of this principle. That it is fair for England to charge Scottish students a huge amount and yet expect Scotland to pay for all English students education. You seriously do not expect me to think that your are not intelligent enoug hto work out what is fair and proper given above circumstances. Can you name any other EU country that charges Scottish students for education.
    The Netherlands.
  • Options
    As a non-mathematician, please would someone on PB explain to me why 1729 is an interesting number.

My curiosity has been pricked but I fear I am too old to apply for entry to London Academy of Excellence.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

And people turning a blind eye. Most of us have done it.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

I completely agree: Oxbridge academics are no more prejudiced or old-fashioned than academics at other seven century old elite institutions in a class-based society.

So they are much like the academics of Bologna, Paris, or Naples?
    Edit: In any event, there is a strong case that Oxford is well over eight hundred years old. Can I direct you to The History of the University of Oxford, (Oxford, 8 vols, 1984-), I: Foundations?
  • Options
    Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Netherlands.
    They charge peanuts for their education
  • Options

Socrates said:

isam said:

Risk of death is pretty low. Prison is certainly an occupational hazard, but the chances of a really long stretch are minimal. It is true, though, that once you are in you are in.

Those that do not and/or who have never taken drugs have far less responsibility for Duggan's death than those who do or who have in the past. The police have to deal with the results of the market that has been created. If you are not - or have never been - part of that market, you can't really be blamed for how it works.

As someone that has been cleared of blame, I feel I can use my impartiality to say that the politicians that recklessly outlawed drugs that are less harmful than alcohol have far more responsibility for violence on our streets than drug users. As it is, however, everyone's blame is far lower than Duggan himself, who was the sort of immoral thug that bought lethal weapons for nefarious purposes.
  • Options

Socrates said:

British society is far more class-based than French or Italian society.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Netherlands.
    They charge thousands of Euros for a degree. And your original question was "can you name any other EU country that charges Scottish students for education", not "can you name any other EU country that charges above an arbitrary level where I decide the amount below is "peanuts"...
  • Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

As someone that has been cleared of blame, I feel I can use my impartiality to say that the politicians that recklessly outlawed drugs that are less harmful than alcohol have far more responsibility for violence on our streets than drug users. As it is, however, everyone's blame is far lower than Duggan himself, who was the sort of immoral thug that bought lethal weapons for nefarious purposes.

Absolutely - Duggan knew the game he was in. He preferred it to the alternative choices he could have made at many points in his life. The ones that most other people do make.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Socrates said:

That's probably right. But at the top, the elites in France and Italy are just as entrenched as ours - perhaps more so.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    Socrates said:

Perhaps true, but the reality is that Oxbridge is today comparable to (some) Russell group universities, and many in the United States and elsewhere. You have provided no evidence that its academics are somehow living in a world unto themselves. It is pure prejudice.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

Then I await your analysis of their former schools' Oxbridge admission and AS results, or will you be arguing that the LAE has creamed off all the top pupils?

It sure is. But Mark Senior does have a point, doesn't he?

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

Absolutely - Duggan knew the game he was in. He preferred it to the alternative choices he could have made at many points in his life. The ones that most other people do make.

It would have been so refreshing had his family or the Labour MPs that are on their side said "if only Mark hadn't got involved with drugs and guns he would still be alive now"
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    AveryLP said:

As a non-mathematician, please would someone on PB explain to me why 1729 is an interesting number.

My curiosity has been pricked but I fear I am too old to apply for entry to London Academy of Excellence.

1729 is the smallest number that can be expressed as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.
  • Options
    @malcolmg

The Netherlands.

An opportunity for Pork there!

• Options
    AveryLP said:

1729 has its own Wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(number)

1729 is known as the Hardy–Ramanujan number after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a visit to the hospital to see the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:
    I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavourable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

• Options
    isam said:

Socrates said:

Socrates said:

isam said:

It would have been so refreshing had his family or the Labour MPs that are on their side said "if only Mark hadn't got involved with drugs and guns he would still be alive now"

I agree.

• Options

AveryLP said:

1729 is the smallest number that can be expressed as the sum of two cubes in two different ways.
    Thank you, Mr. Llama.

I am now considerably better informed.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    edited January 2014
    1729 = 1**3 + 12**3 = 9**3 + 10**3
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    The level of fees varies from country to country in the EU, but they do apply fees to Scottish students in Ireland and Netherlands, among others. The principle is there, though fees are different levels.

Incidentally, UK citizens in Scotland can do a Masters in a Swedish University without paying fees, but Swedes have to pay fees to do a Masters in Edinburgh or Leicester. I know this as my son is planning some time in Upsalla. The course is taught in English BTW.

It is simply a matter of EU law that rUK students would have the same rights as any other EU citizens to pay the same fees as Scottish students.

Of course if one or both of Scotland or rUK is not in the EU then EU does not apply, but if we both remain in...

malcolmg said:

Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

The Netherlands.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

If I were to pick on one factor which might explain the LAE's results it wouldn't be cherry-picking pupils in their local catchment area, although I accept this practice may have some impact.

A little deeper delving into their website reveals the following schools are 'partners', which appears to include some form of teacher exchange:

Brighton College
    Caterham School
    City of London School (Boys)
    Eton
    Forest School
    Highgate School
    Kings College Wimbledon
    Roedean

With that lot backing you, it is no wonder that aspiration and self-confidence is high. And when it comes to Oxbridge admissions, it is those two qualities (far more than those valued by Socrates's professor) which win the day.
  • Options

AveryLP said:

1729 has its own Wikipedia page.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1729_(number)

1729 is known as the Hardy–Ramanujan number after a famous anecdote of the British mathematician G. H. Hardy regarding a visit to the hospital to see the Indian mathematician Srinivasa Ramanujan. In Hardy's words:
    I remember once going to see him when he was ill at Putney. I had ridden in taxi cab number 1729 and remarked that the number seemed to me rather a dull one, and that I hoped it was not an unfavourable omen. "No," he replied, "it is a very interesting number; it is the smallest number expressible as the sum of two cubes in two different ways."

That is a nice (in its proper sense) and very plausible story.

The words as always have lifted my spirits more than the numbers.

It must be my liberal arts education!

• Options
    It does look as if Millfield students are being ripped off doesn't it? £32 000 per annum and only six into Oxbridge is pretty poor.
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

If I were to pick on one factor which might explain the LAE's results it wouldn't be cherry-picking pupils in their local catchment area, although I accept this practice may have some impact.

A little deeper delving into their website reveals the following schools are 'partners', which appears to include some form of teacher exchange:

Brighton College
    Caterham School
    Eton
    Forest School
    Highgate School
    Kings College Wimbledon
    Roedean

With that lot backing you, it is no wonder that aspiration and self-confidence is high. And when it comes to Oxbridge admissions, it is those two qualities (far more than those valued by Socrates's professor) which win the day.
  • Options

It does look as if Millfield students are being ripped off doesn't it? £32 000 per annum and only six into Oxbridge is pretty poor.

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

Brighton College
    Caterham School
    Eton
    Forest School
    Highgate School
    Kings College Wimbledon
    Roedean

Dr Sox

I have been trying to raise a pun on Pedro Almodovar in order to waken Roger from his slumber.

But I abandoned the attempt after getting nor further than Roger Almamater without being able to establish a clear link to Millfield.

Still I believe Millfield values Olympic medals more than Oxbridge entrance.

• Options
    edited January 2014
    What on earth is the Honorary Recorder of Winchester, His Honour Judge Cutler CBE (HM Coroner in the Mark Duggan inquest) doing, giving a press conference on his doorstep? I am loath to criticise the judiciary, but the learned judge is off his rocker.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    If the BBC was made to earn its earn it's money, instead of being fed by state sponsored license fees, then the very "secret society" that is the BBC today , would no longer exist.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537886/BBCs-six-year-cover-secret-green-propaganda-training-executives.html
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,039
    edited January 2014
    Re @foxinsoxuk and @malcolmg inter aliis -

That DM story is from a journal so well known for its balanced coverage of indy that it has to be censored for the Scottish edition, AND it comes (unusually explicitly, so credit to the DM for that) from a pair of Better Together academics - evidently reheated Scare of the Week (I have lost count of the number of times it has come round). And we all know how accurate BT and their chums in the media are about reporting anything to do with the EU.

I've recently had to explain the situation to an English university professor who was, entirely understandably, upset and angry at what he had been reading in the media (and it is something I have very strong feelings about, so I have toned down my original draft).

At present it is (prior) residence, not natio0nality or (within the UK) origin within E, W, NI or Scotland, that counts in Scotland now. Residence always counted across the UK till London unilaterally cancelled payment of fees for the people resident in England, etc. As this is not based on nationality (sensu Scottish origin) it cannot be discrimination within the UK on that count (and I believe that one law case has already failed on that basis).

When the LDs reneged on fees, or were statesmanlike within the coalition, whichever it was, the Scots lost the money thanks to the Barnett consequentials, but decided to spend some of their pocket money from London to (1) maintain the existing system for Scottish residents, because they thought it the civilised/politic thing to do, and disagreed with the London decision (well, devolution does mean the ability to do things differently if deemed necessary).

This then raised the question (2) of the need to stop fees refugees from south of the border flooding out Scottish universities, which needed to be kept at least partly for Scottish-educated pupils because of the shorter sixth form and longer university degree in Scotland (it is harder for Scots pupils to begin a 3 year course in EWNI than it is for an EWNI pupil after a longer sixth form course to start at a Scottish uni). It is a genuine and serous worry. And at present it is taken care of by retaining the residency qualification, on which the Scots have changed nothing as far as I know. It is a bit rich for them to be blamed for that when it was not Edinburgh who made the changes.

What happens after indy is another matter but the case will be argued on pretty much that basis. And there's a lot more to indy than just one small issue, important as it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22718864

In any case we keep being told we'll vote no, and then we'll be dragged out of the EU a few years later ...
  • Options
    @Avery - LAE is highly selective:

http://excellencelondon.ac.uk/how-will-i-be-taught/what-gcse-do-i-need-to-achieve

However, I do not have a problem with that. Anything that helps academically strong kids get the best possible university education is fine by me.

That said, the fact that LAE does partner with a host of top public schools may actually indicate that Socrates has a point. These kids are clearly very bright, but they need to be taught to engage in the way that works for Oxbridge admissions tutors in order to get in there. The tutors themselves do not have the curiosity or the skill to think beyond their own comfort levels.

I know a fair few extremely able people who tried Oxbridge but did not get in, principally because their interviews were a disaster - those they were in front of just could not find a way of engaging with them and clearly lacked confidence in Oxbridge's ability to accommodate them. It turned out to be Oxbridge's loss, not the rejects - but there certainly was a lot of hit and miss involved for institutions that claim they are the pinnacles of tertiary education in this country and beyond.

• Options
    "It must be my liberal arts education!"

An engineering student asks "How does that happen?"
    A mathematics graduate asks "Why does that happen?"
    A liberal arts graduate asks, "Do you want fries with that?"
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited January 2014
    Why power blackouts would be GOOD for Britain: Ed's aide sparks fury as we brace ourselves for winter's first Arctic blast

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537860/Why-power-blackouts-GOOD-Britain-Eds-aide-sparks-fury-brace-winters-Arctic-blast.html

The labour party seem's to making a few mistakes in the last week or so(with chukka opening his gob and hunts license for teachers went down like a led balloon),god help them when the run up to the GE happens ;-)
  • Options
    So thats where "Tim nice but dim" went to school!
    AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

Brighton College
    Caterham School
    Eton
    Forest School
    Highgate School
    Kings College Wimbledon
    Roedean

Dr Sox

I have been trying to raise a pun on Pedro Almodovar in order to waken Roger from his slumber.

But I abandoned the attempt after getting nor further than Roger Almamater without being able to establish a clear link to Millfield.

• Options

I know a fair few extremely able people who tried Oxbridge but did not get in, principally because their interviews were a disaster - those they were in front of just could not find a way of engaging with them and clearly lacked confidence in Oxbridge's ability to accommodate them. It turned out to be Oxbridge's loss, not the rejects - but there certainly was a lot of hit and miss involved for institutions that claim they are the pinnacles of tertiary education in this country and beyond.

Of course, Oxbridge interviews are hit and miss, and often, very able candidates are not admitted. Some colleges, particularly those in Oxford south of the High Street, also have a tendency to admit far too many public school candidates. However, it is the best system anybody has thought of for judging what it will be like to teach a candidate in Oxbridge tutorials.
  • Options

What on earth is the Honorary Recorder of Winchester, His Honour Judge Cutler CBE (HM Coroner in the Mark Duggan inquest) doing, giving a press conference on his doorstep? I am loath to criticise the judiciary, but the learned judge is off his rocker.

Shooting from the mouth, m'lud.

• Options

@Avery - LAE is highly selective:

http://excellencelondon.ac.uk/how-will-i-be-taught/what-gcse-do-i-need-to-achieve

However, I do not have a problem with that. Anything that helps academically strong kids get the best possible university education is fine by me.

That said, the fact that LAE does partner with a host of top public schools may actually indicate that Socrates has a point. These kids are clearly very bright, but they need to be taught to engage in the way that works for Oxbridge admissions tutors in order to get in there. The tutors themselves do not have the curiosity or the skill to think beyond their own comfort levels.

SO

But thus is life.

It was always said of me
    That I was next Prime Minister
    But three.

I'm still waiting.

• Options

Good to see that the liberal arts graduate is the only one in gainful employment, Mr. Llama.

• Options
    I appreciate that is why Engish students face such high fees in Scotland (My son looked at a course in Edinburgh, but the fees would have been £12 000 per year, so significantly more than his first choice University in England). The point though is that a Yes vote in the Indyref would change the position, as rUK students would become EU students.

Of course it is not just student fees that would vary across the border. If state pensions, elderly care and NHS access were more generous in Scotland (or rUK) then we may see cross border migration for this reason.

I have a soft spot for Perth myself, though would migrate further South for the winter. ;-)
    Carnyx said:

Re @foxinsoxuk and @malcolmg inter aliis -

That DM story is from a journal so well known for its balanced coverage of indy that it has to be censored for the Scottish edition, AND it comes (unusually explicitly, so credit to the DM for that) from a pair of Better Together academics - evidently reheated Scare of the Week (I have lost count of the number of times it has come round). And we all know how accurate BT and their chums in the media are about reporting anything to do with the EU.

I've recently had to explain the situation to an English university professor who was, entirely understandably, upset and angry at what he had been reading in the media (and it is something I have very strong feelings about, so I have toned down my original draft).

snip

This then raised the question (2) of the need to stop fees refugees from south of the border flooding out Scottish universities, which needed to be kept at least partly for Scottish-educated pupils because of the shorter sixth form and longer university degree in Scotland (it is harder for Scots pupils to begin a 3 year course in EWNI than it is for an EWNI pupil after a longer sixth form course to start at a Scottish uni). It is a genuine and serous worry. And at present it is taken care of by retaining the residency qualification, on which the Scots have changed nothing as far as I know. It is a bit rich for them to be blamed for that when it was not Edinburgh who made the changes.

What happens after indy is another matter but the case will be argued on pretty much that basis. And there's a lot more to indy than just one small issue, important as it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-22718864

In any case we keep being told we'll vote no, and then we'll be dragged out of the EU a few years later ...

• Options

Of course, Oxbridge interviews are hit and miss, and often, very able candidates are not admitted. Some colleges, particularly those in Oxford south of the High Street, also have a tendency to admit far too many public school candidates. However, it is the best system anybody has thought of for judging what it will be like to teach a candidate in Oxbridge tutorials.

No doubt. But then doesn't that tell us we should not obsess with Oxbridge? If they are only capable of selecting a certain kind of very gifted student, then they may not be as brilliant as they think they are. High academic intelligence comes in all shapes and forms. Oxbridge is very good at identifying and working with a certain kind - one that our top public schools are very good at nurturing.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    An engineering student says"Wow!"
    A mathematics graduate says "Mmmmmmmmm?"
    A liberal arts graduate says, "That ceiling needs painting again."
  • Options

Economics, history, politics, literature, PPE are considered some of the most prestigious degrees in the UK and are all liberal arts. In fact, in many cases, mathematics also counts.
  • Options
    Given what PISA says about our private education sector, Millfield is clearly not alone in charging very high fees and getting very poor academic results.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

No doubt. But then doesn't that tell us we should not obsess with Oxbridge? If they are only capable of selecting a certain kind of very gifted student, then they may not be as brilliant as they think they are. High academic intelligence comes in all shapes and forms. Oxbridge is very good at identifying and working with a certain kind - one that our top public schools are very good at nurturing.

Completely agree. There are plenty of other excellent universities in this country, and obsession with Oxbridge is a grave mistake. All I have been trying to do is to correct some of the blind prejudice and myth that appear from time to time about our two most venerable universities, pace Northampton.
  • Options

Given what PISA says about our private education sector, Millfield is clearly not alone in charging very high fees and getting very poor academic results.

Regardless of PISA results, Millfield has its place.

Where else can you take your horse to school?

• Options

So thats where "Tim nice but dim" went to school!

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

AveryLP said:

SO

Brighton College
    Caterham School
    Eton
    Forest School
    Highgate School
    Kings College Wimbledon
    Roedean

Dr Sox

I doubt it, Dr. Sox.

Truancy was never permitted at Millfield.

• Options
    Socrates said:

Economics, history, politics, literature, PPE are considered some of the most prestigious degrees in the UK ....

Really? By whom?

• Options
    First very, very best wishes for your son. He must be doing something special like a vet degree as most undergrads pay £9K a year at Edinburgh. I'm always very impressed to see people still going to university under such a burden that we did not have.

Indy woudl certainly change the position, though how far will depend on a court case I suspect. The wider migration issue is an interesting one, thank you, especially with couthy burghs like Perth. It is hardly novel, given the number of UK pensioners in Spain, for instance, but the language and cultural links mean that moving to Scotland would be psychologically easier (plenty of incomers in the SNP, mind you).

However, just to throw another eye of toad into the cauldron, I wonder what if EWNI leaves the EU after Scottish indy ...

I appreciate that is why Engish students face such high fees in Scotland (My son looked at a course in Edinburgh, but the fees would have been £12 000 per year, so significantly more than his first choice University in England). The point though is that a Yes vote in the Indyref would change the position, as rUK students would become EU students.

Of course it is not just student fees that would vary across the border. If state pensions, elderly care and NHS access were more generous in Scotland (or rUK) then we may see cross border migration for this reason.

I have a soft spot for Perth myself, though would migrate further South for the winter. ;-)

• Options
    edited January 2014

Really? By whom?

Indeed. It is arguable that four of the five are built on intellectual quicksand.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Just to prove I can take the piss out of my own kind and not just liberal arts graduates:

A mathematician, a physicist, and an engineer are riding a train through Scotland. The engineer looks out the window, sees a black sheep, and exclaims, "Hey! They've got black sheep in Scotland!" The physicist looks out the window and corrects the engineer, "Strictly speaking, all we know is that there's at least one black sheep in Scotland." The mathematician looks out the window and corrects the physicist, "Strictly speaking, all we know is that at least one side of one sheep is black in Scotland."

Two men are sitting in the basket of a balloon. For hours, they have been drifting through a thick layer of clouds, and they have lost orientation completely. Suddenly, the clouds part, and the two men see the top of a mountain with a man standing on it. "Hey! Can you tell us where we are?!" The man doesn't reply. The minutes pass as the balloon drifts past the mountain. When the balloon is about to be swallowed again by the clouds, the man on the mountain shouts: "You're in a balloon!" "That must have been a mathematician." "Why?" "He thought long and thoroughly about what to say. What he eventually said was irrefutably correct. And it was of no use whatsoever..."
  • Options

Why power blackouts would be GOOD for Britain: Ed's aide sparks fury as we brace ourselves for winter's first Arctic blast

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2537860/Why-power-blackouts-GOOD-Britain-Eds-aide-sparks-fury-brace-winters-Arctic-blast.html

The labour party seem's to making a few mistakes in the last week or so(with chukka opening his gob and hunts license for teachers went down like a led balloon),god help them when the run up to the GE happens ;-)

That Tristram Hunt idea of teacher MOT`s is the silliest idea I have seen for a while.Even Gove`s plan of allowing headteachers to sack teacher seems better in comparison.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AveryLP said:

1729 marks the publication by Thomas Innes, the noted Jacobite, of " A Critical Essay on the Ancient Inhabitants of the Northern Parts of Britain or Scotland."

I'm sure it marks an essential element of most PBers libraries.

• Options
    JackW said:

AveryLP said:

1729 marks the publication by Thomas Innes, the noted Jacobite, of " A Critical Essay on the Ancient Inhabitants of the Northern Parts of Britain or Scotland."

Shouldn't it be Britain and Scotland, Jack?

I'm shocked. Tho. Innes, Esq. had the benefit of 22 years to get it right.

• Options
    SMukesh said:

That Tristram Hunt idea of teacher MOT`s is the silliest idea I have seen for a while.Even Gove`s plan of allowing headteachers to sack teacher seems better in comparison.
    One does wonder what is the point of Tristram Hunt. Perhaps he read last week's pb on Labour's huge lead on education, and as a good egalitarian thought it only fair to give Gove's party a leg up.
  • Options
    He is a bright lad. Comprehensive school too, as was my own.

Glad he did not go to Millfield, he would be serving fries by now!
    Carnyx said:

First very, very best wishes for your son. He must be doing something special like a vet degree as most undergrads pay £9K a year at Edinburgh. I'm always very impressed to see people still going to university under such a burden that we did not have.

Indy woudl certainly change the position, though how far will depend on a court case I suspect. The wider migration issue is an interesting one, thank you, especially with couthy burghs like Perth. It is hardly novel, given the number of UK pensioners in Spain, for instance, but the language and cultural links mean that moving to Scotland would be psychologically easier (plenty of incomers in the SNP, mind you).

However, just to throw another eye of toad into the cauldron, I wonder what if EWNI leaves the EU after Scottish indy ...

• Options

SMukesh said:

One does wonder what is the point of Tristram Hunt. Perhaps he read last week's pb on Labour's huge lead on education, and as a good egalitarian thought it only fair to give Gove's party a leg up.
    These MOT ideas just increase the bureaucracy at huge expense with little benefit.

Gove`s ideas aren`t gaining any traction with the public as shown by the big Labour lead on education.And even his free schools have started to fail with 3 in big trouble so far.So why ape him?It`s crazy!
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    AveryLP said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

No old chap. It's so less informed Whigs knew that Scotland was up past the Watford gap.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,152
    SMukesh said:

SMukesh said:

These MOT ideas just increase the bureaucracy at huge expense with little benefit.

Gove`s ideas aren`t gaining any traction with the public as shown by the big Labour lead on education.And even his free schools have started to fail with 3 in big trouble so far.So why ape him?It`s crazy!
    How many LEA schools have got into similar problems over the same period?

I am far from being an expert, but I wonder if the teachers' MOTs are more sensible from a Labour viewpoint than they first appear: with Gove wanting to allow teachers without QTS, is this seen by some as another way that such 'undesirable' teachers can be removed from the system in the future ?

Then again, the last government proposed a similar licencing scheme and quickly dropped it.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Unusual poll: surveying 7 muslim countries, on what is appropriate attire for women to wear in public.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/368203/heres-how-muslim-world-believes-women-should-dress-daniel-pipes
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

Regardless of PISA results, Millfield has its place.

Where else can you take your horse to school?

Stowe, where I might say the horses have better accommodation than the pupils.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Betting Question

The Expected Value of a Free Bet where the stakes are not returned is about ~ 45% of it ?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I think UKIP would have trouble taking second place from Labour in Sutton Coldfield. Wythenshawe is a much better bet for Farage's party. On the other hand, they would probably require close to 40% to win the constituency, whereas in Eastleigh about 33% would have been enough.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,958
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Question

The Expected Value of a Free Bet where the stakes are not returned is about ~ 45% of it ?

Depends on the length of the odds you place it on, longer is better (since the stake not being returned matter less often). See http://www.juicestorm.com/odds-matcher/ for a nice calculator which illustrates it.
  • Options

Socrates said:

Economics, history, politics, literature, PPE are considered some of the most prestigious degrees in the UK ....

Really? By whom?

By most of the major employers. Economics is the most employable degree. Heck, our PM, Chancellor, DPM, Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Chancellor all have liberal arts degrees, so they can't be that bad for their prospects.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    JackW said:

AveryLP said:

JackW said:

AveryLP said:

No old chap. It's so less informed Whigs knew that Scotland was up past the Watford gap.

ot to mention the bits north of Edinburgh. When I moved back home and sold my Leicester house the estate agent seeking me on the phone had great difficulty getting his head round being told by Mum in Edinburgh that I was "up north" at a conference in Elgin ...

Seriously, though Mr W is quite right. In the 18th C North Britain was the PC term for Jockland in the wonderful new Hanoverian Union. But so was South Britain for the other bit. Can't imagine why that didn't catch on ... As it is, the Scots gave it a dam' good go so nobody can complain they didn't try - I have had to explain to colleagues more than once that in an old postal address NB does not mean nota bene ... and vide the North British Railway, and North British Hotel in Edinburgh (still called that by some of us despite its Royalification to the Balmoral).
  • Options
    Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

Socrates said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

stances. Can you name any other EU country that charges Scottish students for education.
    The Netherlands.
    They charge thousands of Euros for a degree. And your original question was "can you name any other EU country that charges Scottish students for education", not "can you name any other EU country that charges above an arbitrary level where I decide the amount below is "peanuts"...
    It is under two thousand, I see you are your usual pedantic pompous self.
  • Options

Completely agree. There are plenty of other excellent universities in this country, and obsession with Oxbridge is a grave mistake. All I have been trying to do is to correct some of the blind prejudice and myth that appear from time to time about our two most venerable universities, pace Northampton.
    Our obsession with Oxbridge over other universities is a huge sympton of the fact our country is still so obsessed with class and its markers.

Socrates said:

Perhaps true, but the reality is that Oxbridge is today comparable to (some) Russell group universities, and many in the United States and elsewhere. You have provided no evidence that its academics are somehow living in a world unto themselves. It is pure prejudice.
    Firstly, I never made that claim. Secondly, my views are based on knowing these people, so I'm not pre-judging anyone. I don't think that Oxbridge academics are a world apart from other groups, but I do think you are more likely to find professors which have traditional reactionary attitudes here, and yet have their own little fiefdoms without checks on them. My problem with the college-based system of admissions is that it means the evaluations are highly arbitrary, lack checks and rigour, and more prone to unfair criteria being introduced than most.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Even better for him. My impression (to link also to another discussion here) was that private education did help to get one into university -self confidence and high exam skills were part of the package sold to parents. it was what happened later that was the problem. Some friends of mine did superbly academically but others crashed and burned as undergraduates without the pressure (and perhaps ecen spoonfeeding) from the masters in the sixth form and ended up with poor degrees - but still with worthwhile and constructive careers, happily. But that was some decades ago.

He is a bright lad. Comprehensive school too, as was my own.

Glad he did not go to Millfield, he would be serving fries by now!

Carnyx said:

• Options

Unusual poll: surveying 7 muslim countries, on what is appropriate attire for women to wear in public.

http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/368203/heres-how-muslim-world-believes-women-should-dress-daniel-pipes

And once again we get evidence of how backwards Pakistan is. Even by the standards of Muslim countries, it comes out at the conservative end. More than a third think women should only show their eyes in public. Can you imagine if large numbers of these reactionaries were allowed to immigrate here?
This discussion has been closed.